Black IPA - The Beer Shoppe 2nd Anniversary Ale - Iron Horse Brewery

Black IPA - The Beer Shoppe 2nd Anniversary AleBlack IPA - The Beer Shoppe 2nd Anniversary Ale

Iron Horse Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: froghop on 11-25-2008)
Reviews by blackc5:
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Ok, this is an interesting brew. Probably does deserve it's own category, as it is surely not an IPA. It is the first black IPA I have tried, and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the porter/stout and IPA cross-over, but figured it would be a worst of both worlds kind of thing going on. Instead, I would say this one is closer to best of both worlds. A very tasty beer, and I guess it helps that the contributing styles are my two favorites. For me, this leans a bit closer to being a porter or stout than an IPA. A really hoppy, mildy burnt porter I'd say, and it works. Nice job Iron Horse.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Just as I was shutting my iTunes off to review this beer (too distracting to review against music), I was met with the great irony of Carcass' "Carbonized Eyesockets" cranking away at that moment. I guess I'd rather have a Black Eye, or Black IPA, than carbonized eyesockets. (Check the label on this bottle, hence my silly commentary...)

I dig how dark this IPA is, not quite black but a super-ultra-deep dark brown, like a porter maybe, with a reddish tint and rather opaque. The head is faded tan and rocky/creamy, leaving scattered lace on the sides. A (sorta)black beauty.

Nose is hops-centric, but bastardized hops. Burnt and absued hops, with a peculiar muggy/damp something-or-other that I can't put my finger on, but don't really like. Watered-down anise, maybe. I have never smelled anything like it, beer or otherwise.

Flavor is about as weird and twisted as the nose lets on. Msubulldog25 has described this emerging style (and it should be considered something other than just an "American IPA," shouldn't it?) as "burnt popcorn" and I get that here. But I kinda like burnt popcorn--a few kernels in the bowl anyway--so it works for me. Bruised and battered hops come into the picture, as does rough medium-roast coffee and something like burnt brownies. A sourness prevails in the finish, along with--you guessed it--some more char.

Texture is slick with a medium body, with a little tack at the end. Nothing really remarkable about this aspect of the beer, but it's nice enough.

This does taste carbonized, but like eyesockets? Don't know, never tried 'em. But I like this particular Black Eye-Pee-Ay enough to recommend, though I would find it hard to drink often, thus the lower drinkability score.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Dark black core with roasty brown edges. Small tanned cap. Splotchy laces.

Herbal, citrus. Roasty coffee. earthy dark fruit. Muted but pleasant.

Bright hoppy citrus and some herbal hops. Light roasty flavor, coffee, toffee. earthy. light bitterness.

med light body compared to where I'd like it. A bit thicker and more body would do it good. Smooth. Med carbonation.

Drinkable, refreshing and nice hoppy flavor. That said, there's much better Black IPAs out there to be had. This one was merely ok.

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

Pitch opaque black in appearance, tight spongy light beige head that settles to a thick cap.

Roasted malt up front on the nose, earthy, smoky notes, espresso, just a mild leafy hop presence.

A sort of ubiquitous balance taking part in the flavour, with earthy bitter roasted malt up front melding with a piney, leafy bitter finish from the hops. Neither are too overwhelming, which helps to streamline that curious balance of bitterness. Some malty sweetness pops up later into the aftertaste to offer some small contrast.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, yet on the light side, a bit watery in places.

A nice change of pace for an IPA, the bitterness from both the roasted malt and the hops, yet in the end it didn't really draw me in beyond the initial novelty of it, nor did it seem robust enough to really drive it all home. A worthwhile IPA to check out for those who enjoy their bitter roasted malts without getting overwhelmed by a lop-sided hop bomb.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Bought this beer at The Beer Shoppe in Yakattack (Yakima). Saw that it was made especially for them which is awesome. Opening this puppy up I could immediately smell the hops. I poured it in a glass for better examination.

A - I like the look of this black ipa. I would have given it a higher rating except that the head isn't as big as I had hoped. It pours black with a bit of brown hue at the bottom of the pint. The head is cream colored and creamy looking. It kind of reminds me of any beers that are served on nitro.

S - Smells very strong of hops. It reminds me of Arrogant Bastard actually. I'm wondering if this beer was dry hopped because there is a definitely pleasant smell of fresh hops.

T - Hops is definitely the dominate characteristic in the taste. However, I taste a bit of chocolate that reminds me of their Irish Death. It is tasty!

M - I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. It is pleasantly filling and doesn't feel watered down in any way.

D - I could definitely drink this on a regular basis. It would be cool to have on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

i didn't really know how to category this. it is a cross between a stout or porter and an IPA.

pours a jet black with a small tan head, excellent lacing.

smell is of bark chocolate, malt, espresso, touch of licorice, and charcoal.

taste is thick, dark and bitter chocolates, strong coffee, pine, barley, some hops, with malt in the back, mouthfeel is chalky and is both bitter and dry in the end.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

okay so this is a hoppy porter, i guess, because black ipa is a bogus beer style.

regardless, it pours nicely into an imperial pint. as dark as a porter (surprise!) with gold and brown highlights around the edges. a nice, cola-like foam forms, thick lacing is left behind on the glass. this beer's got a great aroma.. at first, i notice fresh coffee beans and cocoa powder. as it warms, a blast of green foresty pine emerges. something about the heft, spice, and chocolate notes scream hoppy rye beer.

and the spicy/robust flavors really present themselves as i drink the beer. despite the 7% middle ground, this beer is a real rich sipper of a tipple. moderate bitterness pair nicely with a fresh piney, earthy spice. coffee sharpness appears in the flavor to back up the big brown aroma.

eyes closed, this is a hoppy porter or rye beer. and a successful one at that, if you can get by the lack of true ipa-ishness here. highly recommended, i look forward to trying other iron horse offerings now that i know where to get them.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Dark brown cola-like appearance with a good tan head that disappears with little to no lacing. Pine hop aroma with some coffee. Up front there are pine and a little citrus IPA flavors but they are backed up with roasted malts. The taste rounds out with a little light chocolate sweetness and finishes with a mixture of coffee and hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is a little chewy with medium carbonation.

A lot of great flavors going on with this beer. An enjoyable beer that's a little too bready but otherwise I had no problem taking care of the whole bomber.

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

A-Dark dark brown liquid, the head was thick and fluffy, about two inches of tan head.
S-The hop smell is sort of funky, sort of a dirty hop smell. I think the dark malts and the hops are duking it out. Very funky smelling, reminded me kind of like when I'm cleaning my cat's litter. I think its just the hop/coffee what ever combination.
T-This tastes like a hoppier coffee stout or porter of sorts. Its nice to have a dark beer with a hop bite. The taste is smooth, but yet complex.
M-feels good in the mouth, nice and smooth, good balance of carbination and thickness.
D-yes it is.

Sorry for such bland ratings (all 4.0) but this is pretty much a solid beer.

Looks Dark on the pour, off white head that leavs good lacing teh whole glass down

Smells like burnt chocolate, molases, and a little like a pub's aroma. That might sound a little obvious, but when a pub's been about for a while the beer etc soaks into the wood, and I smelled that here

Tastes like it smells. Chocolatey, Malt, a little hops in the background, molases, and charcoal

Drinks fine, medium body. Just a good beer

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a deep brown color, not quite black with good carbonation and a nice white head. Nose is light hops, more malt, like chocolate and black. Taste is like a porter/IPA hybrid with some roasted elements and subtle pine, floral feel. Odd. Not even mlike most other Black IPAs I have had. Mouthfeel is smooth, like a subtle caramel, toffee feel on the end, like it was not hops but a malt texture, dry. Odd brew but not bad.

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured black with about 1/2 inch of deep tan head which left a moderate amount of lacing. Dark roasted aroma without much hop presence. A slight hop tang but the roast flavors are predominant. The body is solid but slightly thin. This beer seems confused, it wants to be an IPA, but has a noticeable Porter-like flavor. Solidly drinkable but I think palate boredom would set in. Honestly, I'm not sure how I should be rating this beer, it doesn't have the hop profile of an IPA, but if this were a Porter it would get a lower than average rating. Perhaps a below average IPA combined with a below average Porter equals an average beer. Not a bad beer, if you see it, try it. A good beer that needs a little focus.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance is a very dark brown with a thick pillowy stick around head and nice lace. Smell of sweet chocolaty roasted malts, mild hops and light molasses. Taste is not as hoppy as I expected it to be, but has a good roasted malty backbone with a light chocolaty sweetness. Mouthfeel has medium body with good carbonation. Although not as hoppy as expected, its still had the full flavor that made it enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

22 oz bomber picked up at the food co-op in Moscow, ID. Pours a very dark black/tan, good amount of head with lots of lacing. Looks great. Smell is not much like an IPA. Some chocolate, lightly roasted malts, some piney hops as an afterthought. Taste is a really interesting balance of hops and darker malt, it took a minute for me to fully appreciate it--let it warm a bit before really diving in. Mouthfeel is smooth, sticky. Not sure about the style designation (would have pegged it as an aggressively hopped porter), but as I continue through the bottle the hops are making more and more of an appearance. So far I've really liked what I've had from this brewery. Wish I could get it on the east coast.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

22 oz. bottle from West Richland Beer and Wine, poured into Chimay chalice 3.10.10.

Dark brown almost opaque body, one finger very light tan head, quick dissipation with a few trails down side of glass. Nose is a bit sweetish, faint chocolate, not much roast, but grassy hops are present. The taste is much more chocolaty than the nose would indicate, some roast, a bit of sweet, and the grassy hops are pretty clean, nicely balanced. The bitterness on the back end became more noticeable as it warmed. Mouthfeel is fairly full, well carbonated, not sticky. Drinkability is quite good. I thought this was an interesting attempt at emerging CDA style. IMO may have benefited from more bittering hops, but it was nicely balanced, and very drinkable. I'd have this again. Recommended

Black IPA - The Beer Shoppe 2nd Anniversary Ale from Iron Horse Brewery