Finnegans Irish Amber - Finnegans Inc.

Finnegans Irish AmberFinnegans Irish Amber

Finnegans Inc. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: Bighuge on 03-27-2002

Ratings: 146 | Reviews: 54
3.77/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampled last night on 4/12/15. Comes in a 12 ounce can from Finnegans Inc. (Contract brewed and canned by Summit Brewing Company) in St. Paul, Minnesota. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a green-striped "14" pool ball flute glass. On the back of the can it says: "100% OF THE PROFITS GO TO FEEDING THE HUNGRY". Awesome!

Brew pours a pretty copper-amber in color with close to a 1-finger foamy off-white head. A good amount of sticky lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of grains and yeast. More going on with the taste with some light spice maybe? Crisp and clean and goes down pretty easy unlike some other brews of this style as they tend to be all over the board for me anyways. This is one of the better ones I will say. Lighter to medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall, I liked this one.

4.19/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting beer for a great cause!

3.65/5  rDev +13%

Nice balance. Light and crisp.

3.31/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tasted 12 January 2015.

Pours clearish orange amber. One finger of off-white head, good retention and lacing.

Smell is super grainy, toasted and bready, topped with a lager-y yeast. Very toasty, like a marzen. And at times I feel like I'm sticking my head in a grain bucket.

Taste is more crisp and less malt explosion. But it's also pretty flavorless. Kinda like a macro adjunct lager without the sweetness. Has its appeal, but I'm not digging it all that much.

Feel is better. Light, clean, and vibrant. Almost like seltzer water.

A fine beer, though it doesn't line up with most amber ales I've had. The flavor is super thin - I had to struggle to find anything there. And that's just not what I'm looking for.

4.08/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Looks like a slighty darker macrobrew, Smells like grains, wheat, hay. Doesn't have as much flavor as I was expecting, smooth drinking but nothing special, roasted corn maybe. Kind of disappointing for a summit brew

4.14/5  rDev +28.2%

Recently, I have been intrigued by "Finnegan's" Irish Amber. I never saw it or even heard of it until a month ago, and it just kept calling my name. Of course, I didn't want to pick up a sixer just in case I didn't like it (especially at $9 a six pack), but I stumbled upon this single and I grabbed the last one. I dated a Finnegan in high school. She was pretty cute. Maybe her relatives make this? I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz stubbie bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance (4) : Now this is truly amber colored if I had ever seen it. True to its name. Has a shave cream foamy, white three fingered head that leaves lacing ALL the way down as it recedes. This is looking pretty good.

Smell (3.5) : Some milled grain, sweet barley, honey, white grape...golden crisp cereal. Small peck of orange peel. Fresh and clean but could be better.

Taste (4.5) : Home run. This beer is simply great. Robust, flavorful malt character and a perfect balance of subtle hops. The beer just drinks great. Strong honey notes, toffee, sweet grain and milled wheat, some light hints of grape tomato at the end. Finishes great.

Note : Out of the bottle it has a bad metallic flavor at the end, I suggest pouring/serving this one completely in a chilled glass to avoid the dreaded metallica beer.

Mouthfeel (4) : One of the smoothest carbonated beers I've ever had. Smooth and creamy, subtly poppy. Finishes slightly dry but still wet enough to quench a thirsty waterhole.

Overall (4.15) : This beer is a winner. Not only do the Finnegans have cute women, they have great beer, too. Here's to "Barstool Philanthropy"!

3.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - This beer is amber in color with an inch of off-white head.

S - It smells a little skunky. I get some caramel aromas.

T - The taste is better. It is a sweet beer. The caramel comes through with little bittering from the hops.

M - Moderate

O - The label reads that all proceeds go to feeding the hungry, so this beer is for a good cause which is good.

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Got this from a friend after a visit to the Boundary Waters. Pours a typical, slightly cloudy dark orange tannic ale, red a bit perhaps. Smell is malty dried fruit, but not really a smeller overall. Taste is sweet malt, with a furiously refreshing effervescence I really like. Not hoppy, but shouldn't be, but I miss more a bitter presence. Finish is clean and not at all metallic or boring. Some merits to the brew, and fun to try. A little too malt forward for my taste. Although I'm not sure I'm up for too many straightforward ales. Would be good for someone who doesn't go for the bitter stuff.

Appearance – Pours an amber color with about one half finger of a thin foam which disappears within about 2 min.

Smell – Very slight malt aroma.

Taste – This beer has low hops and bitterness. Does not leave an aftertaste. Low flavor. Goes down pretty easy without thinking.

Mouth feel – High carbonation and slightly watery.

Overall – An average beer that doesn't detract but has no outstanding characteristics.

2.99/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Pours a red amber. Thin half a finger head stays at a slick and retains well there.
S- Smell is kinda weak. Caramel malts, a little grassy, and a faint metallic note.
T- A grassy, lightly herbal, caramel flavor. There is a bit of mineral in the finish.
M- Light body, high carbonation. Slightly seltzery.
O- It's ok, but it's a bit too one-dimensional and the aroma is disappointing for me.

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy amber orange with a moderate amount of rising bubbles. A two finger head fades into a thin white film. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Lots of caramel malts and grains with a mild hint of grassy hops.

Taste: Lots of malty caramel sweetness with some grains. Also has a light kick of earthy hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body that is slightly watery. Medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall: A decent red amber. Nothing great but not bad.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

not impressed by this weak beer not very redeeming as others mentioned just a bit above Bud. Still if you are in charitable mood it could be worse barely it's too sweet for me. I say there isn't much Irish red ale about this beer or american red ale like either so I think is way below style wise. the head disappears fast leaving a golden color body. light vague smell of malt. Sweet malt taste. a bit harsh carbonated on the tongue. Overall not great beer experience a bit below average drinkability

Others have done a great job describing the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability. Some have gone too high and some too low in my opinion. This beer as noted in one of the first reviews isn't great, but isn't terrible. That's a "C" in my book. Average. Yep, it's a little bit better than a Budweiser. I could down this stuff because it's like water.

On another note all profits from this beer go to charity. That's pretty cool.

3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Light amber as advertised with about a 1/2 inch of eggshell white foam.

Smell: Grain & Malt

Taste: Non-descript. Malty with slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body, crisp due to moderately high carbonation.

Drinkability: Quaffable. A better choice than Budweiser, but not something I'd seek out.

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a samall, off-white head of foam.

S - Smell is bland. Malt, caramel and mild floral notes.

T - Malty with sweet caramel. There is a mild hop bitterness. Not much else.

M - Fairly crisp and sharp. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This was merely okay. It was the only thing on tap at the hotel bar that I hadn't had.

2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

A: The pour is a light amber color with a fluffy off-white head.

S: A pretty light and unimpressive nose overall with some light notes of grain and caramel.

T: Light in flavor as well with a strong adjunct character. Almost like glorified Budweiser, showing plenty of corn and grain.

M: Fitting in with the rest of the beer, the body is quite light and overly carbonated and fzzy.

D: Not a fan of this one at all. This was enough of an experience with this beer.

2.99/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at McGoverns.

Not sure if this was on nitro or what, but the head was creamy and gorgeous looking. Burgundy amber in color.

Faint smelling. A bit of grainy malt and mild hops.

Kind of watery tasting. Some light caramel malt and a hint of hop presence. Not bad, but nothing that good either.

Lighter bodied. Again, feels a bit watered down. Slight creaminess. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was a nitro tap to give it that feel.

Drinks easily, it's just not something I will probably have again though. Pretty average beer that goes towards a good cause however.

3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Light golden-amber with slight head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Very light malts, with caramel and slight spicy hops.

Taste: Mild caramel malts with a slight hop finish.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, light to medium body, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and quite pleasant, but nothing special.

3.26/5  rDev +0.9%

A= pours a light amber color for an amber ale with a nice thick white head thats got really nice retention and lacing. Pretty impressive for the cheap beer it is.

S= Smells sort of light and sweet malts. Nothing really special. Definitally a cheaply made amber ale.

T= Light cheap lager taste. Nothing like an american amber ale. A lot like an american lager. I don't think they used adjuncts in it but it tastes like it might.

M= Smooth and light. Crisp clean finish.

D= Pretty decent beer for a cheap irish beer. This beer is brewed by Summit and all profits go to charity so I feel good about drinking it but I think it may be lagered and tastes too light to be an amber ale. Amber lager maybe?

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. Brewed with Potatoes, Enjoy by 01/06/10.

A - The golden yellow color is a bit hazy with a fair amount of carbonation rising up. A thin white head pops up and sinks to a thin layer rather quickly. A good arch of lace is left.

S - Mild earthy tones hide behind a fairly open nose of pale malts and straw. A sort of pilsner-like hint to it with mild grassy hops on the finish.

T - It's kind of lacking any distinct flavor. Mild pale malts and a touch of straw with a fine finish of uncooked potato. Rather interesting but not great.

M - Crisp and sharp feel of carbonation with a faint lingering flavor on the finish. Medium-light bodied and kind of hard water-like.

D - Not as bad as I had imagined but there is a very small hint of potato that is unappealing to me and is otherwise an average beer.

3.46/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance

Pours a light amber color with minimal head or head retention. It seems to have moderate carbonation in my opinion.

Smell

I can smell little caramel malts and a slight hop aroma. It seems more distinct if you get your face in there right when the head is fresh.

Taste

Sweet, crisp, slightly malty and slightly bitter. I think its balanced pretty well. I can definitely taste the potato sweetness in it. However, I'm not sure I could place it had I not known before hand.

Mouthfeel

Crispy and sparkle like. Medium bodied which I think attributes to the ease of drinking.

Drinkability

Could and have made a night out of drinking this. I often suggest this beer to friends who drink light beers but want to step it up a little bit. It has that lager crispiness.

Other

I think it is important to note that this beer is made completely by volunteers. It is brewed and bottled under contract by Summit, but the whole Finnegan's organization is volunteers and all profits go to local communities and charities.

I also did a video review of this on my website if anyone is interested in seeing it.

3.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear, slightly amber color with a moderate white head. Aroma consists of slight pine notes, potatoes, and molasses. Taste is dominated by the mellow malts, but balanced with hop bitterness slightly. Not balance quite well enough between the two in my opinion.

3.04/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a very pale color, almost blonde, lighter than a lot of pale ales I've had. The head was pretty thin, and it faded fast, leaving basically no lacing. I'm still intrigued when the bottle says ale brewed with potatoes. The smell is very grainy, like a bunch of pale pilsener malt. And I may be imagining it, but I smell potato skins - I'm probably making it up. No hop presence, I didn't really expect it. There is a bit of a bready smell, but not very irish reddy in the smell. The taste comes back with some graininess, some moderately sweet malts, like slightly watery spongecake. There's even a little bit of an earthy presence, maybe a bit of grass or leaves. And still I would say that I can taste potatoes. That label has convinced me. It's a bit interesting, but ukltimately somewhere between a cheap pilsener type knockoff and a pale ale (both lacking a significant hop presence). The body is about right, a thinnish-medium, and the carbonation is a bit prickly, provides a nice rush in the drink. I kind of like it. Ansd actuallym I usually wouldn't rate the drinkability so high above the other aspects, but this one is very easy to drink. And it keeps me just interested enough to want a bit more. This could provide a nice drink for a night.

2.6/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

While I'm certainly glad to have had the opportunity to try this, it really isn't a very good representation of an Irish Red, and in and of itself, it's probably only an average beer at best. Colour was more of a medium gold and not really red at all. Head left a bit to be desired, too. Smell was a bit of sweet malt with a quasi-BMC aroma. In fact, the whole beer was somewhat BMC-esque. Mouthfeel was very thin. Again, I'm always happy to try new things, regardless of the outcome, but this simply wasn't for me.

A: Light golden, not at all 'amber". One finger head that is very white, no A/C, but pretty decent lacing

S: Wet malt and a little hops. Pretty BMC, like Mickey's or PBR, and pretty weak.

T: It was bitter, but I have no idea where that came from. It wasn't a hoppy taste and it wasn't a roast obviously. Not much else though.

M: Thin and Metallic.

D:Pretty Easy I guess.

Finnegans Irish Amber from Finnegans Inc.