TerreFerme - À l’abri de la Tempête

TerreFermeTerreFerme

good

À l’abri de la Tempête visit their website
Quebec, Canada

La TerreFerme est une bière ambrée bien charpentée qui vous conduit sur des sentiers houblonnés parsemés de riches arômes floraux et d’une amertume à la fois vive et délicate. Une bière reflétant le territoire rustique et bucolique que sont les Îles de la Madeleine. Une attitude franche et végétale!

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 08-14-2009)
Reviews by Ivanhoes_Backpack:
3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Mar 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle recent from Peluso. Pours light cloudy colour and abundant initial foam. Aroma is a little cheesy. Mouthfeel is average, basically no taste. A tad of taste, the most minimal of any sign of hops. I found it hard to drink a mouthfeel. This is not an IPA.

Sammy, Nov 22, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +8.1%

-January 02 2011

Bottled in June 2010

Haven't really liked anything from this brewery yet but here goes another try.

Served in flute.

A- Nice hazy golden peach. Head is dirty-white and IPA ish.

S- Floury, doughy peach. Some alcohol.

T- ''Whoa.'' is what I said to myself. Unusual. Such depth in a light tasting beer. Basically no malt sweetness but some of the best grain flavor I've had in this type of beer. Soft but sturdy bitterness. Clean yet musty after-taste (from the yeast maybe). Bottled contradiction.
Hop profile is grassy and a little fruity (peaches or something).
A little cardboard as it warmed.

M- Medium carbonation. Medium body. Really not dry considering how little sweetness is left.

D- Very good. I'd drink a bunch. Tastes like a very natural, interesting but easy drinking brew. Just enough flavor lingers after every sip. I would love to have another one.

Well, finally a beer from À l'Abri de La Tempête which I enjoyed. I guess that'll tempt me to try more from them... except I still find them kind of expensive.

-05-06-2010

Trying À l'abri de la Tempête again. Hope it's better than the rest I've tried.

A- Dark gold. Little head but a nice white crown dry dirty looking lacing.

S-Smells a bit like root beer. Grainy like the other beers I've tasted from that brewery. Red licorice.

T- Grainy and a bit looking. Finishes with a bitterness much like a brio chinotto. A peculiar taste that kind of has me hooked.

M- Higher than medium carbonation. Good mouthfeel. Fairly dry.

D- Good. Goes down easy and pretty flavorful.

Enjoyed it.
I will not buy it again but would drink it again.

This brewery makes strange beers. Nothing on or in the bottle says IPA.

Yoonisaykul, May 06, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a clear, pale honey-yellow with an airy white head. Consistency looks a bit watery. Minimal lacing, not much retention.

Fresh and spicy smelling, though a little weak. Banana popsicle, coriander, cotton candy, grain with some hops in the background. This smells pretty nice, although not anything like I'd expect an American IPA to smell. I'm not even sure why this one is labeled as an IPA here, it doesn't state this anywhere on the bottle. It says biere des iles (is this a type of beer? It means beer of the islands) and strong beer, that's it.

I can't say I've ever tasted a beer with this profile before. Weak flavours of smoke, fruity something (pineapple?), grain and the slighest bit of hops make for a bitter finish. I can't say I'm really enjoying this one; weak, watery and a bit strange even. No alcohol presence, at least that's nice.

The feel is really sub-par. Much too thin and watery with a light carbonation.

This was a pretty big disappointment for me, the only other beer I've tried from this brewery is one of my very favorites. Maybe they got lucky with that one, this is nothing special. Drinkable I guess but not one I'd return to.

eat, Aug 24, 2009

Bottle: Poured a light amber color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of floral hops with light caramel malt notes. Taste is also dominated by some floral hops with light caramel malt notes and a light bitter finish. Body is about average with good carbonation. Not bad but probably not hoppy enough for the style.

Phyl21ca, Aug 14, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer color is copper and it's slightly veiled. Nice white foamy head thrones on it. The aroma is floral, the typical floral aroma that I get from all their beers. Some honey in there too. It is sweet on the nose and very inviting to taste! On the taste, again I get the floral notes with a dry finish. Refreshing. Not very hoppy except for the floral notes. I get some spicy notes there too. Medium body. So easy to drink. I would say this is an American IPA. It taste good, but I would class this as an traditional IPA.

ZorPrime, Apr 17, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Nice deep golden color, with thin white head

S: strange nose, reminiscent of other beers they make with local spices/plant. Pretty floral, with intense pine smell, but not the hoppy kind of pine smell, it's more rustic.

T: you get this pine taste, with intense notes of band-aids, raw meat, bretts?. Original. Nice finish with a good bitterness, kind of saves the day...

O: Not my favourite. Strange beer. And I don't think it should be under American IPA, as there's no indication of this style on the bottle, and it's not much representative of the style neither in my humble opinion.

Caudalie, Jan 20, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

fortierv, Dec 05, 2011

nmann08, Mar 17, 2012

Krakpoff, May 09, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottled October 2011.

Beer is a translucent golden with a large white head.

Nice big pine scent in the nose, some tropical fruit as well, along with a warm, toasty caramel malt scent. Some floral and spicy notes. While not as hop-focused as many IPAs, the balance works well and it smells good- unusual, but good.

The pine scent is dominant in the taste. It is an unusual pine- perhaps a more authentic pine taste that usual. The main problem is that there is not a lot else. Thinner flavour than expected from the nose. Spicy pine and some caramel malt but not a ton more. A bit spicy. Very unusual for an IPA- hard to even call it one, actually. Seems to be some herbs in here as well. I can't say it is my favourite beer but it is certainly unique and has its good points.

Body is medium, lighter than expected, moderately carbonated.

Overall, a very difficult beer to classify. A pretty unique take on an IPA, that is for sure. I would have this again but would not seek it out. Certainly makes me curious for the rest of the brewery's offerings.

jrenihan, May 03, 2012

oldp0rt, Nov 20, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Hazy orangy-amber color with sparse bubbles and a thin white head.

Aroma: Peaches! I get a ton of pine aroma and some alcohol at the end.

Taste: Tasting a lot of that piney hoppiness up front. A little spice, reminds me of orange zest. Dries out a lot on the finish, leaving a lingering hop reside in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation tingles at first, then the beer feels like it grabs my tongue and cheeks and sucks the moisture out.

Overall: It's growing on me because it's different from other Strong Beers I've had. Much less impressive than their barleywine and it's not even close. Would I drink this again? No, but that's because of the $7/bottle price tag. Bring it down to $3 and we'll talk.

emcohen, Jun 07, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at Le Pas Perdu, a restaurant on this beers home archipelago of the Magdalen Islands in the middle of the gulf of the St-Lawrence.

A- Nice orange/amber colour with a decent head. Looked great in the glass used by the restaurant.

S- A lot of floral/herb aromas as well as some citrus. I liked it.

T- The aromas from the smell come across strong in the taste but are not balanced out enough with malt, leaving the whole seeming unbalanced towards flowers and citrus fruit. It has character, but I found it a little strange and over the top.

M- Good medium body.

D- Went down well with my meal of shark burger, but I'm not sure I'd want to drink this on its own much. It just seemed too unbalanced towards the herbal-fruity side.

JOaikido, Sep 09, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

clesius, Feb 13, 2012

A: Perfectly transluscent amber color with a good strong head and superior lacing.

S: Strangely very spicy: nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and maybe some cloves. Very fruity too: banana, pear, raisins. Some malty sweetness too, mostly honey. Some herbal hops, but very faint. In short, absolutely nothing I'd expect from an IPA, but very interesting nonetheless.

T: Banana and the spices come first (mostly cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg). Still quite a bit of honey in there and cuts at the end with nice herbal hops. Some mineral taste, but that it blends pretty well with the taste. Honestly, it has SOME hops, but nowhere enough for being an IPA and the malts don't taste like IPA too. Weird beer, but still pretty good.

M: ESB like mouthfeel, and I love ESB's. Creamy, light carbonation. Perfect for the beer.

D: It's a balanced brew, taste is far from being aggressive and there's no alcohol in sight. Highly drinkable. =

Honestly, if people were expecting a run of the mill IPA, they'll be disappointed, and I guess it's the reason why this beer is soooo much underrated. It's a VERY interesting brew, whatever the style may be (makes me think of a belgian pale meets an ESB honestly), and I hope people could rate it with a more open mind. All in all, much more in ESB territory than IPA.

flipper2gv, Mar 20, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -2%

341ml bottle poured into a À L'abri de la tempête glass.

A : Nice copper color, a bit troubled, light foam that do not stay long enough but leaves a small ring on the glass.

S : Herbs, we can smell some hops too and I can detect some pumpkin?

T : Some bitterness, hops, kinda sweet, we can taste some vegetables also...

M : Enjoyable, but not too much carbonation

D : Easy drinking beer but it would be difficult to drink two or three in a row. I was kind of surprised by this beer, I will definitely try other beers from this brewery in the future.

ReFill31, Feb 20, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +26.1%

*Also says bottled on September 1, 2010.

A: Poured a nice golden yellow casting a beautiful glow in Blue and Grey weizen glassware. There was some thin head and a bit of lacing.

S: The olfactory stimulation is a minimum, but what is there: some sweetness, fruity hop, a strange spice, banana popsicle from the below comment kind of fits too

T: Some pine, spicy hop, lemon, hints of pepper. I like it, its interesting to drink a Canadian version of an American IPA. Almost reminds me of Saison du Beouf from DFH.

MF: Light-medium bodied with nice carbonation. Pretty refreshing.

D: I came across this beer at Bilbo Baggins, a microbrew bar in Alexandria, VA. It was $10 for one bottle, so on my budget not very drinkable. Given a chance to drink 2-3 I would say yes. Hopefully with a delicious meal to pair with. I had some spicy smoked chorizo sausages after first trying most of the beer without food. They definitely overpowered the subtleties of the beer..but wasn't a bad combination.

*A plus about this is that it's always fun to try beers from unique locales. This is from a small set of islands in Quebec.

HopeinHop, May 17, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle from Broue HAHA.

A - Pours a nice dark golden colour. Cloudy with average carbonation. A good soapy but thick 2 finger white head sticks around for a while, leaving a small amount of lacing and a film of head retention.

S - Lot's of mango and pineapple with crackers. Very citrusy but not your typical grapefruit style. A little soap and honey. There is a floral component that comes through strong as well. Nice.

T - Floral with some honey. Less hop presence. A little biscuity with some more citrus fruit.

M - Good carbonation and a medium body with a slight bitterness.

O/D - Quite refreshing and drinkable. No alcohol that I can pick up on. The floral/honey element makes this lose points for style, otherwise not bad. Not a great IPA by any means though.

tbeckett, Jul 21, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

From 03/16/12 notes. Shared by nimbleprop; thanks Mac. 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a deep orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of pine hops, spices, pepper, floral notes, earthy notes, and some herbal notes. Too much spice and pepper for me.

t - Tastes of spices, pepper, pine hops, light fruits, earthy notes, floral hops, and tea/herbal notes. Lightly better then the nose due to the fruit, but still too much spice for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty average beer. The hops are definitely there, but there is so much spice and pepper it takes over and brings it down for me. Wouldn't seek it out again.

mdfb79, Mar 23, 2012

ZachT, Oct 22, 2013

Molson2000, Sep 21, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

This pours a light golden orange with a modest, bright white head. A thin film sticks around until the end and leaves spots of lace.

The aroma is...unexpected. Full of pumpkin pie spices. And pumpkin. And mashed ripe banana. And allspice. I'll admit I picked this up because I enjoyed Corne De Brume from the same brewery, but I didn't know what style this was. And I'm still not sure. But without even tasting it I'm beyond positive it's mis-listed here as an American IPA. No idea where that came from.

The taste is similar, with an odd vegetable aspect too it washed away by a bright, clean floral bitterness all with a strong allspice aspect to it. Is it allspice? Let me check my spice rack.

Yeah, it's allspice all right. There's a taste of straw and grains underneath. There's a herbal earthy mineral quality that sticks around in the aftertaste.

Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

Certainly not an American IPA. And by no means a great beer. I'd put this somewhere between an Belgian pale ale and a pumpkin beer...I guess.

Weird.

MeisterBurger, Apr 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a cloudy gold and orange color. Thick white head that doesn't go away. Plenty of lacing. Smells of lemon and orange and a hint of spices. Perhaps some coriander. Smells sweet and nice. Taste is sweet and fruity with a spicy finish. There is something different about it that is hard to pin down. Almost like it has a hint of soap flavors. I also taste a hint of celery. Mouthfeel is creamy and good. Goes down very easy as well. Overall very enjoyable and a surprise from what I expected.

tegelaar, Jan 26, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Jean-Sebastien for this one! What a great guy!

341mL brown glass "twist-top" bottle. Front label says Bottled since Sept 1 2010.

Pours crystal clear pale golden yellow with thin white head. Nose is very spicy - with lots of clove notes and some piney hops. Almost smells like a winter warmer at first. The label doesn't say it has spices, but there must be something in there.

Palate is prickly and spicy, and drying on the finish. That clove/nutmeg flavor is there on top of a nice thin pale malt body and some "green" hops.

Not at all what I was expecting. I really want to know what's in this now!

SFLpunk, Oct 24, 2010