Follow our progress ...

Samuel Smith's Organic Pale Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |

Samuel Smith's Organic Pale AleSamuel Smith's Organic Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by clarknova on 10-25-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 212
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

I was at Country Garden Six-Pack today, scouting for new and different things, when I came across this one, tucked away in a corner cooler, crying out for me to bring it home.

From the bottle: "Organic Pale Ale"; "Samuel Smith's Pale Ale captures the true soul of beer. It is brewed with hard well water, best organic malted barley, yeast and organic aroma hops. Fermentation in 'stone Yorkshire squares' creates a full-bodied rounded palate. It has a fresh maltiness that reminds you that good beer is a product of the soil -organically nurtured."; "'Stone Yorkshire squares' at the Old Brewery are used to ferment all Samuel Smith's bottled ales."

I let it warm slightly as I got engrossed in watch World Cup action, but I still created two dense fingers of tawny head that fell fairly quickly once I began the pour. The lacing in its wake was decent, but not stellar. Color was a deep-amber, bordering on copper (SRM = >13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very sweet, almost honey-like, which I associate more with a lager, but with a slightly buttery, somewhat nutty accent also. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was like buttered nut bread. Wow! It was highly quaffable, and I drank over half of it down as I was typing. I would characterize the finish more as semi-sweet than semi-dry, although an argument could be made for both. It really had more of a nutty, malty aspect though and I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Color- nutty light brown. Medium but thick head.

Aroma-sweet and nutty.

Taste- Very malt forward, a gentle giant. Starts malty, rich and buttered toast. Then, it mellows and finishes with a lingering grainy perfection. An excellent brew which reminds me of a holiday in the UK. This malt forward pale ale is not an IPA but may be a good transitional brew for those wishing to acquaint themselves with ESBs and IPAs, a stepping-stone to hoppier cousins.

The 5.00% ABV makes this a great session beer.

Poured from 550 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 2/14/14.

3.66/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly cloudy amber with a foamy white head. No retention but just a hint of lacing. The aroma has light notes of darker fruits but a pretty strong note of diacetyl. The taste is pretty mild as well. I was hoping for more of the "Best Bitter" styles I got familiar with in England, and while this one seems like it should, it just falls short. It does improve as it reaches it proper temp (closer to 55F). It's got a nice weight to the body but even when it gets to a better temperature, it's just lacking in the full, rich deep flavors normally associated with the style.

This one didn't impress me much, but it's drinkable. i have liked other Sam Smith's beers better. To be perfectly honest, I was steered to try this because "it was a perfect example of diacetyl." Now I can finally be certain of what they meant, and what that flavor is. I suppose it's not a bad taste, but it's not my favorite either. I certainly wouldn't turn down a glass of this, but I'll seek out other brews from this brewery in the future..

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was recommended to me by one of my customers.

I ordered it and when the bottle arrived I was surprised by the label (old school).

The color and taste were very good! I have since recommended this beer to all of my beer drinking friends.

I have taken the next step and also purchased this beer to have in my refrigerator at home.

I have also tried several of their other Organic beers as was not disappointed!

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A - Dark orange/ambar color with a decent off-white head. Not that much retention and/or lacing

S - Toasted malts with caramel touches. There's a scents from citrusy hops, and an earthy presence, but not so prominent as the malts

T - Mostly toasted sweet malts. The hops are there to balance the malts, but they're mostlu present at the dry, bitter finish.

M - Medium body and medium carbonatation. Creamy but not that smooth texture

O - Not an spectacular beer, in the sense that none of its ingredients really stand out, but it's an nice balanced ale. Maybe I wouldn't choose it if others are available, but i wouldn't mind drinking it again

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Smith Organic Pale Ale has a very thick, frothy, cream-colored head, a hazy, bubbly, amber appearance, and heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is sweet, malty, bready, and a touch sour. Taste is of those elements, with a wonderful, straight-forward hop bitterness (no pine or grapefruit with this beer). Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Samuel Smith Organic Pale Ale finishes semi-dry, rich, smooth, and refreshing. This is a wonderful beer, and I strongly recommend it!

RJT

3.44/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml Bottle: BBD Jul 14, poured into an over sized UK pint sleeve on 17th Nov 13.

Nice orange amber body, clear and clean, on top a full off-white foaming head.

Malty nose, bread dough and dry biscuits though, not sweet or molasses style. Some fruit esters in the aroma too.

The taste was also malt led, the malts however were semi-sweet compared to the smell and there is a caramel feel to the biscuit flavour. Those fruit esters are in the taste, giving the beer an extra dimension within the taste. The hops were very under-stated although there is a mild hop finish.

The body hides the alcohol nicely and this is an easy going beer which I really enjoyed.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a Guinness pint. Boasts a lovely hue of orange-red with a soft glow due to slightly compromised clarity. The head lays thick and goopy with an antique yellow-white color.

Buttery malts, toast, and an English flair of nutty yeasts. Biscuity and lightly roasted with an attenuation of hops.

Nice and dry with a fruity ester, not unlike artificial strawberry, that smooths out in front of a toasty malt backbone. Plenty of English nuttiness with a stocky bitterness that evokes some good early-boil hopping. A bit floral with carryover notes of canteloupe and peppermint leaf. Has a slight tannic acidity, like red apple skin or over-steeped black tea. Quite nice.

Superbly smooth-bodied with a medium to medium-light level of carbonation. Rather mellow. Has the drinkability of a good mild or semi-hoppy pale.

Another solid Sammy that I'll remember to look for again. This is a standard that I waited all too long to review. Makes me want to buy their India Pale Ale and do the same. I'll see if I can find a fresh one. In the interim, I have a bottle of year-plus old Stingo in the closet worth drinking. Until then, cheers!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Samuel Smith's Organic Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)