Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Cherry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: mdagnew on 06-25-2007

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

This is a very cool looking beer in a glass. nice foamy head.. Smooth going down. but im a cherry freak. so i think it needs a little more cherry than beer part. But over all if your looking for real cherry and real sweet beer. this is your ticket to good times. Youll love the light red foam head on it. thats a very cool effect.

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

18.7oz brown bottle decorated in a classic English style.

Pours with a well defined dark cherry color, a slight hue of brown in the shade, but it is decisively red. Smell is a very powerful cherry smell, very fresh and on more sweet than tart, and reminiscent of fresh-pressed cherry juice without a hint of synthetic cherry flavor which is so often found in cherry-flavored products.

The strong fruit taste is most prominent in the first sip - both tart and sweet, with a subtle very beer-like yeast flavor and a malt sweetness that is in the background, but certainly paired perfectly to the cherries. Further drinking reveals that there are more beer flavors in here, a definite tart flavor from the malt and yeast combination.

This is a beer built around the cherries that define its taste, and the beer flavors fit in perfectly around them - there are both sweet and tart characteristics of the body from grains that are enhanced by the yeast, and the yeast contributes little or no tannic quality found in fruit wines, it is decidedly beer yeast. The aftertaste has is tart from the cherries, but the sweet fruit flavor is primarily in the up front mouth taste and feel, while the beer flavors come through more in the finish.

All of the characteristics of a good light ale are present, but the cherries dominate the taste while maintaining a certain balance of this beverage remaining a beer. The smell hinted that it was not a beer with cherry flavors coming second, but a cherry beer. The fruit presence allows for a great feeling while drinking it, and the yeasts bring everything together and provide a balance of flavor while not being overpowering or over-present themselves.

The fruit comes first in this beer, and that is fine for me considering how delicious it is. Just over a pint was a great treat, but I don't think it is the most drinkable beer as two of these bottles might be too much sweetness for one sitting. One of the best beers I have ever had, though not the most beer-like, I love how it does something with beer that I have simply not encountered before even having tried quite a few fruit ales.

4.88/5  rDev +27.7%

Spied the cherry Samuel Smiths at the store tonite, checked the label and read the ingredients: real cherry juice mixed with fresh and aged organic ales. With the encroaching extinction and associated huge and rising cost of the superb Belgian Kriek Lambics that I have enjoyed for so long, this cherry ale intrigued me as the price was quite reasonable for what was described on the label. Picked up two bottles.

Poured into a Duvel tulip and the appearance was a boost to my hopes as the light-pink foam reminded me of my favorite (RIP) Oude Beersel Kriek Lambic. Smell was clearly of real cherries and real ale, fantastic. I'll take that as a very good sign. Taste was exactly what I had hoped for, a well crafted British ale with a healthy dose of proper cherries. Highly drinkable and the mouth-feel was reminiscent of those nice kriek lambics as well.

For around one-third the cost of the few decent Belgian Krieks still available, this brew is an amazing value and held it's own against an un-fair comparison to the ancient-tradition of aged Belgian Lambics. Samuel Smith's Cherry Ale is tart and deeply complex in it's own right but without the bold sour level of a lambic.

This brew is a proud hand-crafted British Cherry Ale. Brewed of high quality and all natural ingredients in it's own old-world-tradition, with an aged character that is quite gratifying. Samuel Smith's Cherry Ale is at the top of it's "fruit/vegetable beer" style.

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the better-tasting beers that I've had in a good while...

I poured the Samuel Smith Cherry beer into your standard Samuel Smith pint glass. It poured a deep ruby-brown color and left a relatively thin (one-finger or so) head that was ever-so-slightly off-pink. There’s a fairly deep haze to the beer itself, meaning you really can’t see through it. The head itself is long-lasting and abundant lacing is evident all the way to the bottom of the glass. There doesn’t seem to be much going on in the way of carbonation, but judging from the head and mouthfeel, I would guess that the smaller bubbles just aren’t as obvious in the hazy opacity of the beer.

The aroma is of sweet, natural cherries, with a bit of malt here and there. There’s not a whole lot more to it than that, but I do want to stress that the scent is natural cherry, not artificial, not syrupy. The taste mirrors the aroma, but there’s a bit more to it. The first thing you’re going to notice is the cherry flavor, which is very, very good. It’s just a little bit tart, but mostly sweet. There’s some maltiness there, but you almost have to try to notice it over the cherry flavor. As the beer warms a bit, the cherry flavor mellows and it starts to taste a bit more like beer. The cherry flavor is still there, but it’s not overpowering and the beer flavors (the maltiness mostly, not too much in the way of hops) start to come through a bit more.

This one’s also very, very easy to drink. While I did start by sipping it slowly (the better to savor something, right?), it was hard not to just turn up the glass. A lot of beers drink well, but don’t have a lot of taste, while others are as heavy in flavor but also drink like a meal. The Samuel Smith Organic Cherry really kind of hit all the right points across the board. It’s not light and watery by any means, but it’s not an oatmeal stout either.

As it is, I’ll have to say that the Samuel Smith Organic Cherry Fruit Beer is easily toward the top of the “beers I’ve tried recently” list and is a pleasurable drink from start to finish.

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%

Cherry fruit beer pours a red color, with a lasting pink head. There is a strong and sweet cherry like aroma. The taste has a strong kick of cherries, and a hint of sweet light malts. Good full flavor, and not overly sweet, good amount of carbonation as well. Overall a good fruit beer, especially for the cherry lover.

4.67/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Picked this one up because Samuel Smith seems to be my favorite brewery and I also tend to like fruit beers, and I had not tried this one yet. Plus, it was priced at $3.44 for 550, perfect. Great looking beer with the dark color and an interesting pinkish head, result of the cherry I am sure. Smells more cherry than beer, which isn't all bad. Taste is similar to the smell, more of a cherry juice than beer, but absolutely delicious. Absolutely perfect with salsa and chips. I really like this a lot and at that price I am going to swing by and grab a few more to keep in the fridge for hot days when I want a beer, and sweet. It will be an alternative to their organic chocolate as desert beer. Plus, at that cost it is a great value. If you like fruit beer you will love this, if not, then still worth a try I would think.

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a bright cherry red color with a thin white head. Pleasant to the eye.

S - Cherry and malt notes with a faint tartness, perhaps honey or citric notes.

T - Tastes like a Tootsie Pop, but not so overwhelming; malt and citric flavors are present and quite pleasant.

M - Pleasant carbonation and tartness; you could drink a whole four pack of these and still want some more thanks to the little ABV it has.

Overall, a good fruit beer, tastier than other fruit beers I've had, but still not on the top of my list; would definitely recommend it, and search similar beers because Samuel Smith does not disappoint.

4.61/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Although I was expecting more of a Lambic-style brew, overall this was very (very!) good. The taste was pleasantly of sweet ripe cherry with a touch of sour cherry. The beer is a red-hued frothy smooth concoction unlike most other fruit beers on the market today. Samuel Smith is known for it's more innovative and creative brews, especially when it comes to furit infusions. I served this in a thin crystal snifter of which I threw a cherry in the bottom for good measure. The aroma is very sweet and like fresh ripe picked cherries. Definitely a unique and special easy sipper - very nice for late summer or early fall.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful clear almost cherry red. Outstanding head volume and retention, below normal lacing.

Rich nose of sweet cherries and tart cherries with a hint of biscuit.

Heavy medium body with an almost creamy texture. Expertly carbonated yielding effervescence from the middle on and really making the sweet cherry pop in the middle and tart cherry in the finish. Brew master perfection.

The flavor profile is World Class - this is the best fruit ale I've ever had. It has intense cherry flavor, both sweet and tart, reasonable complexity and is perfectly balanced for a cherry forward ale. It begins with a burst of sweet cherry flavor that effervesces into a tart middle. Underneath the tartness is a light biscuit and a hint of sour cherry. The finish is a slow fade of sweet cherry that also has a prominent tartness and a hint of sour cherry that yields a subtle pucker.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

poured into my tulip...nice, deep mauve with incredible lacing and a healthy head that remains awhile...smells of malty cherry/cranberry (more cherry/cranberry than malt)...tastes of malty cherry but more malty and better for it...not so overly fruity or medicinal at all...nice...it's still quite a beer and not some cooler thang. not thick or over (or under) carbonated in the least. i would session this with some other fruit beers and some calamari easily. or any fried pub food after a long 50 mile bike ride...

think i'll go and try more from this impressive brewery. esp. the fruit beers.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a red bottom giving up to an orange color as you go up the glass and a slightly pink two finger head which reduces to skim, and leaves some decent lacing. The aroma is of cherries and malts, nothing very complex but very sweet and inviting. The taste is of a malt backbone, but the real flavor is a nice sweet cherry taste. The taste is very inviting and smooth like an alcoholic version of cherokee red soda. Not complex but an excellent taste. The mouthfeel was creamy and moderately carbonated. The drinkability is way up there, it is one of the easiest drinks I have ever had. This is a great beer, I think too often we get caught up in complexity, but this is a beer that taste great and you good easily session.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

From a 550 ml bottle into a samuel smith pint glass. Beer is a deep red copper color. Foam is pink!! No lace from this beer.

Wow this beer is so sweet. Reminds me of cherry wine from travers city Michigan. Lots of carbonation on the toung as well. Twang of viniger here as well

The best I can describe the smell is cherry and cranberry. No malts and no hops.

Very unique for me. I can't say I've ever had anything like this. I love Sam smith and this is a cool beer from a classic brewer.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from 550mL bottle into a pint glass. I'm already excited about this one; I love cherry beer.

Appearance: nice tawny amber; the red is not extreme by any means. There is a slight pinkish cast to the (sizeable) head which, with the tan, makes it almost a salmon color. Nice.

Smell: some malt and hints of citrus, but mostly, we're talking big barrels of natural cherries. I live in a region rife with seasonal fruit stands selling cherries in the summer, and this beer smells like a fresh bag of 'em. Delicious.

Taste: wonderful cherry taste with just a little tartness. It's Samuel Smith, so I'm betting the beer underneath would be delicious on its own, but the cherry is really the forefront here. There is a nice malt flavor toward the end which I like, but it's definitely not the star here.

Mouthfeel: medium/medium-light body with a fairly hefty amount of carbonation; more than I was expecting. There's a nice creamy mouthfeel here which I quite enjoy.

Drinkability: I know, because of my love of cherries, that the above probably skews high for this beer. But I have conserved a 5.0 rating for the pure-preference part of the review, Drinkability, because I am pretty sure I could drink this stuff to the exclusion of all other liquids.

4.43/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 1 pint, 2.7 oz. bottle into a DFH Signature Glass.

A- Pours a lovely brown-tinted red color with a massive fluffy, off-white head. Leaves gobs of lacing as well.

S- Huge sour cherry smell. Sweet, tart, and fruity, somewhat like a sweetened kriek.

T- Rich, fruity taste with tons of cherries. Cherries are my favorite fruit flavor, and this one delivers. Tart and fruity with a lingering sugary sweetness.

M- Smooth and creamy, but with a prickly carbonation.

D- Hugely drinkable, though if you aren't as fond of cherries as I am, the sweetness may be a bit cloying. I loved every drop though.

I admit a bias due to the flavor profile, but this stuff is damn good. A very well-executed fruit beer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured this 500 mL into a Lindemans flute. No date. The body was a deep golden red with a pink head that was very brief.

The smell was intensely cherry! Cherry pie. Cherry juice. Cherries.

The taste was of cherry pie. Sweet grains and vivid cherries. Rich. Some spiciness. Not too sweet, well balanced between the depth of the malt and the tartness of the cherries. No trace of alcohol. Very well constructed.

The mouthfeel was medium in body with a fine carbonation.

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Samuel Smith's victorian pint glass.

A: Poured perfectly. Nice pinkish, beige head with a good retention and very good lacing for this style. Thicker looking than other fruity beers for sure.

S: Amazing aroma of freshly crushed cherries. Not medicinal at all, which for me is usually a huge problem when it comes to anything "cherry flavored..." Smells like I just stepped into a cherry orchard, seriously. Delicious. I get hints of pale malt as well. I want to drink this.

T: Amazing. Simply put, this is the BEST fruity beer or lambic that I've ever tasted. I get a soda-like zest on the front with plenty of fresh fruit. Middle is more cherries and juicy cherries. Bing cherries. Dark cherries. The finish brings a little reminder that this is in fact a BEER with a quality malt character and an ever so slight hop hint.

D: If only they made this in six packs.

Samuel Smith's is quietly producing some of the best beers on the planet without much recognition. Yet.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

After me and my friend tried the Raspberry ale I had to try this one because I LOVE cherries. With the takeout discount found a bottle of this (550ml) for 5.50! Score!

A - Poured a beautiful red cherry colored liquid with no sediment that produced a nice white inch of head.

S - Nothing artificial with the smell! Tart even on the nose the smell is a solid lingering cherry with a mild wheat that undoubtedly gives it a sort of pie complexity.

T - How to describe pure flavor. Some would say it tastes almost like a juice because of the ABV. Others would lean more toward a pie or cherry tart kind of taste. I describe it as fruit beer bliss. Sweet but not cloying. Loved it.

M - Very medium bodied.

D - I will now have to have the apple for sure next. If I am ever in the neighborhood I will have to grab up a 550ml again, but will have to check the date because older bottles do not taste as good.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from 550 ml. bottle into pint glass.

A: Excellent color. It's a reddish/blue, very deep. The color screams cherry juice. The head is tinted pink, and leaves pretty lacing down side of the glass.

S: Really nice simple natural cherry sweetness.

T: The balance between the cherry juice and the aged ale is just about perfect. Sweetness and tartness are not overwhelming. This is everything that I would have expected out of a fruit beer brewed by an excellent brewery. Seriously, fine tasting goodness.

M: Again, a really nice blend of juice and beer with perfect amount of carbonation.

D: I am sipping on this and I'm very happy. Really an all around great drink.

This beer is definitely a good choice for when your in the mood for something sweet. A fruit beer to sip, sit and relax with. In fact, that's where I'm headed right now.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

I was very impressed with Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry. It pours a very nice dark red with little to no head. There is an instant aroma of cherries. This beer has a great taste too. Obviously it tastes like cherries, but it isn't overwhelming. It also isn't too sweet. In all honesty, I think it resembles wine... which might lead to some negative reviews on here. It has a nice aftertaste that is just strong enough so that you know you're drinking a beer. This is a must have for anyone who likes Samuel Smith and/or fruit beers.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Shared by schen9303. Poured from a 16oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 1/2 finger, moderately coarse, grayish pink head with poor retention and patchy lacing that emanates from the head. The beer is a clear reddish brown that reveals its carbonation.

S: Strong Ludens Cherry Cough Drop nose and nothing else.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Cherry in the beginning, middle and end. The only thing that really varies here is the intensity of the flavor which becomes more and more concentrated as it warms in the mouth. Finish is rather clean with no big fruity aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied with a bit of carbonation that doesn't disturb its full mouthfeel. A bit syrupy in parts as it warms with a messy finish that thankfully doesn't linger too long.

D: This is what I expect out of a fruit beer and honestly, compared to Wisconsin Belgian Red, this is simply less intense in a good way. Not too full bodied which enhances the drinkability here. Also very pure in the nose and taste. I'll definitely be revisiting this one.

4.24/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

This is an interesting fruit beer, but very different from a lambic or a syrupy flavored beer. The beer is a beautiful red and smells/tastes of cherry juice. The beer is sweet but not overly suite. The one down side is that the beer could use a little carbonation.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: nice cherry red wit a veritable storm of bubbles. Pinkish thick head. Looks like a cherry beer ought to.
Smell: tart, sweet and well...cherry. Nice.
Taste: Wow. Near perfect balance of tart, sweet, tasty, quaffable characteristics.
Overall : very nice job indeed Samual Smith. This my 2nd in the organic fruit line so not entirely caught by surprise but again, quite better, than expected.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Beautiful ruby red color and fluffy light pink head.

Smell: Lovely aroma of candied cherries, if pretty one-sided.

Taste: Candy-like sweetness, similar to that of a cherry Jolly Rancher. Mildly tart. The sweetness is certainly the dominant flavor, but it's not at all overbearing. The flavor seems to pinpoint a certain spot on my tongue and gently nip it with each swallow.

Mouthfeel: I'm surprised by how much of a body this has. It's medium-bodied but slightly syrupy. Good level of carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer's sweetness doesn't cloy after one bottle, which is a good sign of drinkabiity. Still something this candy-like is not meant to be drunk in large quantities.

Notes: Wow, will I ever learn? I was hesitant about the last Samuel Smith beer I tried, and it turned out great. I was again hesitant with this one, which also turns out to be superb! Samuel Smith, I promise to doubt you no more! When a brewery makes great stouts and great fruit beers, you know you're onto something.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer pours a bright red color with a 1/2" pink head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a kick ass sour cherry aroma that's bold and in your face. It smells a lot like Lindeman's. The taste is good. It has a wonderful cherry flavor that really grabs a hold of you. It's sour and refreshing with a bit of sweetness in the finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a fantastic beer. As far as fruit beers go, it's up there with the best there is.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Samuel Smith - Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Fruit Beer, poured into a Lawson's tulip.

Look - Pours a hazy dark pink/ruby with a small pinkish white foamy head that dissipates quickly. Some lacing. This resembles many of the fruit lambics I have had, in a good way.

Smell - Sweet and tart cherry with a touch of booze, at least I can tell it's going to have a "beerishness" to it.

Taste - Tart and full cherry flavor, super concentrated, truly a cherry ale!

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Rests tart, a sipper but quite tasty.

Overall - This is terrific, no artificial BS here. It's certainly a heavy brew, not really light and refreshing, but it definitely captures real cherry flavor and presents it quite well.

Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)