Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: mdagnew on 12-22-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo Alström Bros
Ratings: 807 | Reviews: 411

Bought fresh from the brewery shop in Tadcaster and drunk from a Samuel Smith's snifter.

A: Beautiful darkish amber. Clear. Off-white foamy head.

S: Bready and fruity. Fudge.

T: Bread pudding fruitiness, vanilla, fudge, liquorice and nail varnish combined with the hoppy bitterness and that gingery prickliness you get from English ale. It has sweetness but it's balanced beautifully with everything else. Strawberries appear further down the bottle.

M: A very elegant effervescence.

O: Close to perfection.

A special occasion beer! Another Sam Smith winner!

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

First off, it's got a great dark copper color with a slight haze and a yellowish-tan head that dissipates fairly quick. Nose is sweet with pronounced hop and fruit characters and a background of leather. Starts off with an oaken malty spiciness that progresses to some nice flavoring hops, then some slightly roasted and nutty characters before finishing with an alcoholic warmth and lingering floral bitterness reminiscent of a lambic. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly effervescent, almost like a bubbly cognac. This beer is extremely drinkable and balanced. It's a great example of what an old ale can strive to be; there's a fine balance between an old ale, english barleywine, and flander's ale. If you have a chance to purchase a bottle, get two!

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I've been saving this one for a special occasion, and tonight was the night. I had high expectations, and it exceeded them.

Fairly dark, looks similar to a brown ale.

Smells fruity, a bit like raisins.

Flavors of caramel, plum, and oak. The oak is *very* strong in this one.

Mouthfeel is rather light for this size of beer, and drinkability is OUTSTANDING. I'd never guess it was 8% ABV.

All in all, I really wish I had more than one bottle of the stuff. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for it in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I could have sworn this was an old ale. I'm not sure why it's listed as an English Strong ale. It certainly tastes like an old ale and was barrel aged for a year. The primary difference I noticed was that it was the best old ale I had ever tasted. This thing was like a meal in a glass, which was perfect because I was HUNGRY at the time. Each sip was like the next bite into a hamburger. It was quite sweet, with flavours of rotting fruits, but it was also malty and earthy at the same time, but not in a sweet Belgian brew sort of way. It was a tiny bit sour like someone added a few drops of warcestershire sauce into the beer and had an umami flavour to it as well. These are really what distinguished it as tasting meal-like. It could easily vie for the position of the most well-balanced high-alcohol sweet beer that I've ever had. Though Boulevard's dark truth and probably a couple others would still provide stiff competition. This beer definitely exceeded my expectations. I knew it must be good, but it was absolutely astounding. Only 11 oz of it really made my night.

4.79/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Deep caramel/amber color that's very cloudy. Bits of yeast visible. One finger, creamy, tan head. No lace

S: Sweet malt and hops, neither which overpowers the other. Spicy in the middle with hints of gingerbread. It's a 9% but the alcohol doesn't dominate.

T: Wow, incredibly smooth but with a ton of flavor. Initial taste is sweet, then spiced with a touch of nuttiness at the finish. Also bits of cookie and apricot

M: Again, very smooth. Highly carbonated but it never takes away from the full-body.

O: Complex. This is the best beer I've had in at least 6-8 months. It's > $15 but well worth the price.

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Notes from 6-10-10 - poured into a pint glass - 550ml./ 1 pt. 2.7 fl. oz - capped bottle - cellared from summer 2009

Appearance: Pours a hazy, caramel apple with a thick, foamy, cream head that dissipates to thin. Not much lacing.

Smell: Rich, sweet, malt aroma with notes of dark fruits (raisins and plums), vanilla, and hints of caramel and oak.

Taste: Sweet malt, oak, vanilla, a hint of cherry tartness and a dry fruitiness. The alcohol provides complexity to the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to low carbonation. It pours over the palate with a syrupy sweetness and warming alcohol.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. A great beer that changes dramatically as it is cellared.

Comments: I was able to procure several bottles and cellar this beer, noting the changes along the way. I believe this beer peaked about six months into the cellaring process. I'm glad I had the chance to experiment with this beer. It really shows that there are pros and cons to cellaring.

Pairs well with venison.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color- hazy caramel. Slight head.

Aroma- Christmas cake and caramelized pears.

Taste- Deep and rich with Christmas cake, mild vanilla and Spanish oak flavors finishing with a lingering silky plum liqueur. This is a unique and quality brew!

Poured from 550 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass).

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

550mL bottle. says brewed 2008 and aged a year in oak barrels before bottling. so I guess bottled sometime in 2009.

a cloudy orangish dark amber color. tight tiny bubbles form a creamy looking 1/2" head. good lacing, and the head stays to the bottom of the glass.

aroma is sweet and spicy, caramel, raisins. taste is fruity, yet spicy and herbal at the same time. all malt, no hops. very complex and tasty.

mouthfeel is extremely smooth. no trace of the increased ABV, and especially tasty beer.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm not really going to go into what I got on flavor or aroma, but if you dig trying to figure out what your tasting, this is THE BEER to experience that with. The taste is complex more so than my girlfriend and I (who I do all of my tastings with) have ever experienced. Just as a teaser: tangerine, lemon/lime, white raisin, white/green grape, cranberry/prune, white bread. It's fun as hell just to try and figure out what you're tasting. Highly recommended. I would unquestionably buy this again. Two fans, through and through, were made tonight. Can't wait to try their entire line-up (especially the stouts!).

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a sam smiths pint glass with a 1 finger off white head. Smells of caramel and stonefruit, Tastes of peaches apricots and vanilla with other lurking flavors like oak and plum and I'm surprised that I'm not getting the stony flavor that I've gotten from those yorkshire squares in some of their other offerings most likely due to the oak barrel aging after the yorkshire squares. Mouthfeel is creamy and warming at the same time. Its wonderful to drink and I'm glad I got 2, I will be getting at least 2 more so they can warm me up in those northeast winter months.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

550 mL bottle, great late 19th century style label, by far the most expensive Sam Smith's beer, but I got a BevMo gift card for Christmas, so I picked this up,

A: Pours a beautiful Burton amber with a nice cask-like soft head with very good retention.

S: Complex and rich. A nice mix of dark sherry soaked cherries and mild lemon, bread pudding, almost Flanders Red like at times with the sour oak components. Light notes of cheese/funk and mild oxidation notes, but works wonders in the nose of this style of ale.

T: Definite English/Maris Otter type malt hits first. Delicious oak and acid flavours mid-palate. Some sweetness at the end with raisin and caramel candy. A contemplative effort.

M: Perfect. The carbonation is there, it hits, is crisp but dances on the tongue and glides away leaving you wanting more. Great complex aftertaste of oak and fruit. Smooth and silky throughout. Alcohol is non-existent.

D: This is fantastic beer. Man I wish this was $5-6 a bottle, but alas it's not to be. I can only see this getting more complex with time. I don't know how long it will last, but I'd like to be with it on the journey. Sam Smith's introduced me to English beers, and with this effort is reminding me that the English make some of the best beers in the world, especially with their strong/olde/barleywine type ales. This is a beer that harkins back 200 years to tradtional English brewing with true lactic character, minerality and complexity. A must buy even at the $13 price-tag, open up a book of Tennyson or Hardy and relax and reminisce on a cool winter evening.

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%

This is admittedly one of my favorite beers. At 8%abv it really isn't a session beer, but it's my favorite session beer. This beer has a very pronounced oak character. Malty, but the sweetness isn't derived solely from it. Finishes clean, not boozy. Very slight warming sensation. Slightly tart as it warms up. Love the caramel and toffee notes. That's why I have a case of it in my basement. Wish it cost a lot less...

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Upon first pouring this beer, I was struck instantly by the smoky, oaky essence that was coming forth from my pint glass. A few feet away and my nasal passages were filled with a thick aroma that hung there and didn't seem to want to dissipate.

After allowing this sensation to wash over me, I took the opportunity to place the glass up to the ambient lighting in my kitchen as if it were a prism to see what color I could draw out. Burnished copper, slight reddish hues dancing in the background with faint eggshell white, wispy head that quickly dissipated into a skein on the top of my liquid. After a few drinks, no lacing to speak of is apparent.

Placing the glass to my nose, I am instantly drawn to a pouch of Red Man chewing tobacco, raisins, plums, dates and figs. A slight candy sweetness radiates out as well, giving light to the amount of malts that must have made thier way into this brew. The smokiness that was at once so omnipresent and inviting has slowly withdrawn, only allowing a few fleeting glimpses of that oak cask this beer was laid down in.

At first, the sweetness grabs your tongue and slathers on a nice dose of molasses, malt extract, toffe and prunes. But as quickly as those flavors are pronounced, they recede and a wonderfully boozy middle comes in to play and takes its time before allowing the beer to come to the grand finish. The oak that this beer was aged on seems to have certainly seen its fair share of use. As the flavors subside, a strong prsence of oak and all of the character that it imparts is left. Vanilla, a slight char, just a wisp of smoke and a hint of whisky thrown in for good measure.

The carbonation is spot on and allows for a proper introduction between tastebuds and beer. Not so powerful as to wash the flavor away before full enjoyment and appreciation can be reached. A slightly oily and viscous property to the liquid also promoted fulfillment of the senses, as if velvet were being tantalizingly pulled across your tongue.

Considering this beer clocks in at 8%, I find it to be remarkably drinkable. My mouth is left wanting more, as are my other senses. A beautiful beer, and a great addition to the Samuel Smith stable. While the price may be off putting to some, I can easily see myself justifying that price by my experience with this beer. Higly recommended and worth searching out!

CHEERS!!

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%

Served slightly chilled from .55L bottle. Pours clear, amber color with red hightlights. Thin creamy head. Nose not as pronounced as I anticipated. Bread pudding, raisin, and butterscotch aromas. Lighter body than expected but I like it. Candied/caramel apples, sweet bread flavors. Hints of oak but not a major chacteristic. Devestatingly smooth. Finish is clean with lingering butterscotch/caramel flavors. Amazing.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-beautiful dark amber color, fat tan head, good carbonation

S-Fantastic, toffee, oak, licorice, hint of cloves

T-Wow, definitely a strong beer, sweet and sour, the words wine like come to mind right away, i'm guessing that's the oak flavors imparted along with the many other beers which resided in the same oak over so many years

M-really lingers even after first sip, really coats, even the aftertaste is complex as hell

D-yes

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - nice golden/red colors, not much of a head when it settles, but it stays with it.

Smell - mainly getting an apple smell, but it smells good.

Taste - Apples like I was getting on the smell, not sure if this is from the yeast they use, but I get it from a couple of their beers and I love it. Also some caramel and a bready flavor in there.

Mouthfeel - pretty crisp carbonation wise, thicker than I expected. Reminds me of some of the barley wines I have had.

Drink - going down easy for me could probably drink a couple.

I have wanted to try this beer many times, but it is always like $13 around here so I always decide against it. But I was feeling down tonight so I got it as a treat to myself, and I am glad I did because it is delicious.

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- unimpressive half-finger of head that quickly dissipates. hardly any lacing. i poured the 20 oz into two different bottles, so that also contributed to the lackluster appearance.

S- wow! VERY sweet with all kinds of dark fruit and caramel scents. if it's possible for a beer to smell dense, this is it. also some hints of bread mixed in. very faint herbal hops in the background.

M- almost syrupy and incredibly chewy. somewhat low carbonation, but it's easy to ignore with the other magnificent textures.

T- a little puckering up front from a combination of the alcohol, hops and overall dryness. flavors of fresh baked bread are aggressive. candy-like caramel sweetness follows towards the end.

O- phenomenal blend of flavors. pretty expensive, but it's a nice treat to have on special occasions.

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Brewed 2010 and a bottling date in 2011. Consumed in 2014

Appearance: pours a deep leathery brown color. hints of red and orange. a finger or so of a tannish head with decent retention and leaves behind a spotty lacing. completely opaque with a murky cloudiness. leaves behind a nice yeasty slurry in the bottle.

Smell: dark fruit qualities that are quite liquor like. earthy to leathery notes from a bit of oxidation. molasse. caramel and toffee sweetness.

Taste: opens with a bit of malty sweetness. dark fruits-like liquor comes in next with raisins and plums, can be almost rum like. a strong slightly bitter earthiness comes in along with a slight hint at roasted malts. leathery at times. Oak barrel qualities come in towards the end with molasses vanilla, more sweet toffee. alcohol is sometimes present and a little solvent-like.

Mouthfeel: full and chewy. some bitterness. a little bit of a prickly carbonation.

Overall: I don't know how I have overlooked this beer for so long. its just the kind of beer I love. nice sweet malty notes along with great spirit like character and just a bit of age to it. great balance and taste.

4.67/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a great thick and deep brown color, with great initial head, although no lacing. Great scent, thick and malty with wonderful vanilla tones and a bit of alcohol and bourbon. Very deep flavor, malty and thick, very barleywinish with a very noticable bourbon cask finish. Goes down very well, with perhaps just a bit too much alcohol in the flavor and finish; very warming, very good.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured a Dark amber with a light tan head died rather quickly.

Smell of caramel and malt with some spice.

Taste of malt and very sweet caramel along with whiskey overtones.

Mouthfeel starts syrupy then with malt sweetness and lastly an alcohol bite.

Drinkability very enjoyable the high gravity at 8% makes it a bit heady after a full bottle

4.64/5  rDev +13.4%

This is an excellent ale, rich, complex, but smooth.

Faintly hazy red amber, it has a big tan head steadily shrinking.

Aroma is a lot of rich fruits, raisin, caramelised apple, lots of leafy earthiness, light spice, hint of sherry, hint of toasted whole wheat bread.

Taste is spicey fruits up front, rich and complex, with caramelised fruits, leafy-toasty after the up-front sweet-spicey fruitiness, then more leafy-toasty character, faint woodiness growing by the finish. Full, rich maltiness is balanced with nice hop character and it finishes balanced and dryish. Feel and body are full and slightly oily but not heavy, slick or truly oily. It is very smooth and yet complex.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

"The SS Stingo is a limited release product that was revitalized in 2009 after being lost for over 20 years.The 09 was brewed at 8% and the 2010 is brewed at 9%." This answers my question on the ABV%.

2010 Review
A: poured three fingers carmel colored head reducing to a frothy pillow top. deep opaque dark brown to amber. some sediment in bottom of glass at the end. which is OK becouse i need my vitamins.

S: intriguing and well balanced. roasted carmel, nutty, earthy with a subtle sweet aroma.

taste: creamy and smooth. light alcohol hint. earthy tobacco. roasted nutty and lightly sweet carmel and raisin. subtle citrus on finish. prominent malt backbone. mild oak characteristics.

M: pleasant, soft and fluid. light effervescence

D: excellent. 9% ABV i could easily savor a couple of these.

I agree that the 2010 stingo is nicely done and should rate at the top of its category. Once again i would definately recommend this beer. the brew is a wonderful drinking experience.

Cheers!
Jake

my 2009 review
my bottle was brewed in 2008 and released in 09
also an item of note; the bottle is marked at 8.0% ABV

A: poured into a SS pint glass. deep hazy amber in color with three fingers off white head. nice retention that reduced to a thin film. no lacing on sides of glass.

S: very inviting. dominate cranberrie and red fruits. toffie, rasin and earthy citrus.

T: creamy with a strong malt backbone. flavors are fairly complex. initially red fruit notes hit the toung then rolling down the sides of the toung rasin and some oakiness sets in. the finish is earthy, some citrus and subtle tobacco characters. hops ballance everything out and cleanse the palate, with little to no bitterness.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, almost silky.

drinkability is exceptional. even at 8.0% ABV i feel i could drink several of these.

Sam Smith's continues to be amoung my favorite brewery's. This brew got a 100% rating at Draftmag.com , however i feel that it was not an impartial review. the label from my bottle looks identical to everyones pictures, so i dont understand why the beer is listed at 9.0% ABV when my label clearly says 8.0% ABV. if anyone has insite they can lend on the ABV, please feel free to share.

Cheers!
Jake

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich, cloudy, dark amber with a one finger off-white head that dissipated slowly to an off-white ring leaving little lacing. It looks excellent, yeasty and traditional. Scents of caramel, toffee, sour green apple, rich, dark bread, fruity esters, brown sugar, yeasty aromas and hints of oak. A wonderful, well rounded, rich, complex and alluring aroma. Truly excellent, showcasing the malt forward nature of the beer, the yeast and the oak cask aging. Flavor begins sweet, with caramel, toffee and honey, alongside some mellow notes of apple. Fruity flavors, including apple, but also dark fruit, raisin and prune mostly, appear in the middle and continue into the finish. Also appearing in the middle of the sip is a nice, bready malt flavor. Towards the finish and in the aftertaste there is a bit of oak and some faint wild yeast funk. A rich, complex combination of flavors, hitting all the notes I enjoy in a malty sweet beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a slightly drying, yet also sticky feel and light carbonation. A very easy to drink ale that goes down smooth and quick, hiding its ABV. Overall this is an excellent Strong Ale. It has a rich, complex and truly wonderous aroma and flavor profile combination, aided in drinkability by its mellow carbonation and semi-drying mouthfeel. The barrel aging makes this beer a complex, yet not overwhelming ale. A wonderful beer and well worth the somewhat steep price.

4.62/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Everything I love about Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, but more so. It has a sort of burnished, round, nutty quality that ties right in to the perfect mouthfeel that clings to every part of your palate. Enough coppery notes from what must have once been fuggles and goldings and some tannins from the oak give the beer structure and keep it from dissolving into a mushy mess.

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)