Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire StingoSamuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mdagnew on 12-22-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +19%

I could have sworn this was an old ale. I'm not sure why it's listed as an English Strong ale. It certainly tastes like an old ale and was barrel aged for a year. The primary difference I noticed was that it was the best old ale I had ever tasted. This thing was like a meal in a glass, which was perfect because I was HUNGRY at the time. Each sip was like the next bite into a hamburger. It was quite sweet, with flavours of rotting fruits, but it was also malty and earthy at the same time, but not in a sweet Belgian brew sort of way. It was a tiny bit sour like someone added a few drops of warcestershire sauce into the beer and had an umami flavour to it as well. These are really what distinguished it as tasting meal-like. It could easily vie for the position of the most well-balanced high-alcohol sweet beer that I've ever had. Though Boulevard's dark truth and probably a couple others would still provide stiff competition. This beer definitely exceeded my expectations. I knew it must be good, but it was absolutely astounding. Only 11 oz of it really made my night.

ElCommodoro, Dec 03, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Deep caramel/amber color that's very cloudy. Bits of yeast visible. One finger, creamy, tan head. No lace

S: Sweet malt and hops, neither which overpowers the other. Spicy in the middle with hints of gingerbread. It's a 9% but the alcohol doesn't dominate.

T: Wow, incredibly smooth but with a ton of flavor. Initial taste is sweet, then spiced with a touch of nuttiness at the finish. Also bits of cookie and apricot

M: Again, very smooth. Highly carbonated but it never takes away from the full-body.

O: Complex. This is the best beer I've had in at least 6-8 months. It's > $15 but well worth the price.

brewemstrong, Mar 17, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

This is admittedly one of my favorite beers. At 8%abv it really isn't a session beer, but it's my favorite session beer. This beer has a very pronounced oak character. Malty, but the sweetness isn't derived solely from it. Finishes clean, not boozy. Very slight warming sensation. Slightly tart as it warms up. Love the caramel and toffee notes. That's why I have a case of it in my basement. Wish it cost a lot less...

compass40204, Dec 30, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

550mL bottle. says brewed 2008 and aged a year in oak barrels before bottling. so I guess bottled sometime in 2009.

a cloudy orangish dark amber color. tight tiny bubbles form a creamy looking 1/2" head. good lacing, and the head stays to the bottom of the glass.

aroma is sweet and spicy, caramel, raisins. taste is fruity, yet spicy and herbal at the same time. all malt, no hops. very complex and tasty.

mouthfeel is extremely smooth. no trace of the increased ABV, and especially tasty beer.

jmdrpi, Nov 03, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a sam smiths pint glass with a 1 finger off white head. Smells of caramel and stonefruit, Tastes of peaches apricots and vanilla with other lurking flavors like oak and plum and I'm surprised that I'm not getting the stony flavor that I've gotten from those yorkshire squares in some of their other offerings most likely due to the oak barrel aging after the yorkshire squares. Mouthfeel is creamy and warming at the same time. Its wonderful to drink and I'm glad I got 2, I will be getting at least 2 more so they can warm me up in those northeast winter months.

STEG, Sep 09, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

550 mL bottle, great late 19th century style label, by far the most expensive Sam Smith's beer, but I got a BevMo gift card for Christmas, so I picked this up,

A: Pours a beautiful Burton amber with a nice cask-like soft head with very good retention.

S: Complex and rich. A nice mix of dark sherry soaked cherries and mild lemon, bread pudding, almost Flanders Red like at times with the sour oak components. Light notes of cheese/funk and mild oxidation notes, but works wonders in the nose of this style of ale.

T: Definite English/Maris Otter type malt hits first. Delicious oak and acid flavours mid-palate. Some sweetness at the end with raisin and caramel candy. A contemplative effort.

M: Perfect. The carbonation is there, it hits, is crisp but dances on the tongue and glides away leaving you wanting more. Great complex aftertaste of oak and fruit. Smooth and silky throughout. Alcohol is non-existent.

D: This is fantastic beer. Man I wish this was $5-6 a bottle, but alas it's not to be. I can only see this getting more complex with time. I don't know how long it will last, but I'd like to be with it on the journey. Sam Smith's introduced me to English beers, and with this effort is reminding me that the English make some of the best beers in the world, especially with their strong/olde/barleywine type ales. This is a beer that harkins back 200 years to tradtional English brewing with true lactic character, minerality and complexity. A must buy even at the $13 price-tag, open up a book of Tennyson or Hardy and relax and reminisce on a cool winter evening.

Halcyondays, Feb 07, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Notes from 6-10-10 - poured into a pint glass - 550ml./ 1 pt. 2.7 fl. oz - capped bottle - cellared from summer 2009

Appearance: Pours a hazy, caramel apple with a thick, foamy, cream head that dissipates to thin. Not much lacing.

Smell: Rich, sweet, malt aroma with notes of dark fruits (raisins and plums), vanilla, and hints of caramel and oak.

Taste: Sweet malt, oak, vanilla, a hint of cherry tartness and a dry fruitiness. The alcohol provides complexity to the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to low carbonation. It pours over the palate with a syrupy sweetness and warming alcohol.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. A great beer that changes dramatically as it is cellared.

Comments: I was able to procure several bottles and cellar this beer, noting the changes along the way. I believe this beer peaked about six months into the cellaring process. I'm glad I had the chance to experiment with this beer. It really shows that there are pros and cons to cellaring.

Pairs well with venison.

MarvinSnyder, Jun 14, 2010

Cdogg99, Aug 04, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Upon first pouring this beer, I was struck instantly by the smoky, oaky essence that was coming forth from my pint glass. A few feet away and my nasal passages were filled with a thick aroma that hung there and didn't seem to want to dissipate.

After allowing this sensation to wash over me, I took the opportunity to place the glass up to the ambient lighting in my kitchen as if it were a prism to see what color I could draw out. Burnished copper, slight reddish hues dancing in the background with faint eggshell white, wispy head that quickly dissipated into a skein on the top of my liquid. After a few drinks, no lacing to speak of is apparent.

Placing the glass to my nose, I am instantly drawn to a pouch of Red Man chewing tobacco, raisins, plums, dates and figs. A slight candy sweetness radiates out as well, giving light to the amount of malts that must have made thier way into this brew. The smokiness that was at once so omnipresent and inviting has slowly withdrawn, only allowing a few fleeting glimpses of that oak cask this beer was laid down in.

At first, the sweetness grabs your tongue and slathers on a nice dose of molasses, malt extract, toffe and prunes. But as quickly as those flavors are pronounced, they recede and a wonderfully boozy middle comes in to play and takes its time before allowing the beer to come to the grand finish. The oak that this beer was aged on seems to have certainly seen its fair share of use. As the flavors subside, a strong prsence of oak and all of the character that it imparts is left. Vanilla, a slight char, just a wisp of smoke and a hint of whisky thrown in for good measure.

The carbonation is spot on and allows for a proper introduction between tastebuds and beer. Not so powerful as to wash the flavor away before full enjoyment and appreciation can be reached. A slightly oily and viscous property to the liquid also promoted fulfillment of the senses, as if velvet were being tantalizingly pulled across your tongue.

Considering this beer clocks in at 8%, I find it to be remarkably drinkable. My mouth is left wanting more, as are my other senses. A beautiful beer, and a great addition to the Samuel Smith stable. While the price may be off putting to some, I can easily see myself justifying that price by my experience with this beer. Higly recommended and worth searching out!

CHEERS!!

Rockatansky, Mar 04, 2010

LordBowler, Mar 16, 2013

Tumble, Mar 18, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color- hazy caramel. Slight head.

Aroma- Christmas cake and caramelized pears.

Taste- Deep and rich with Christmas cake, mild vanilla and Spanish oak flavors finishing with a lingering silky plum liqueur. This is a unique and quality brew!

Poured from 550 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass).

utfiero, Jun 06, 2014

ReverendJon, Sep 19, 2013

paulcdc, Aug 12, 2014

ChrisPratz, Mar 23, 2012

leagr, Aug 09, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

I'm not really going to go into what I got on flavor or aroma, but if you dig trying to figure out what your tasting, this is THE BEER to experience that with. The taste is complex more so than my girlfriend and I (who I do all of my tastings with) have ever experienced. Just as a teaser: tangerine, lemon/lime, white raisin, white/green grape, cranberry/prune, white bread. It's fun as hell just to try and figure out what you're tasting. Highly recommended. I would unquestionably buy this again. Two fans, through and through, were made tonight. Can't wait to try their entire line-up (especially the stouts!).

Ngntjp, Aug 14, 2014

Wobbly, Aug 02, 2014

sixtyMIN, Feb 10, 2013

EnojysAnyBeer, Wednesday at 05:40 AM

francisweizen, Oct 01, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Served slightly chilled from .55L bottle. Pours clear, amber color with red hightlights. Thin creamy head. Nose not as pronounced as I anticipated. Bread pudding, raisin, and butterscotch aromas. Lighter body than expected but I like it. Candied/caramel apples, sweet bread flavors. Hints of oak but not a major chacteristic. Devestatingly smooth. Finish is clean with lingering butterscotch/caramel flavors. Amazing.

JohnnyWong, Sep 09, 2009

ssjkyle, Jul 14, 2012

afsdan, Mar 22, 2014

pirmannt1, Feb 06, 2012
Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)