Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TKempe on 01-20-2009)
Reviews by DavidST:

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a wine glass. Unknown freshness date.

Pours a dark red with a thin pinkish tinted head, it has very little retention and before I can type this sentence its gone. The smell is sweet, mostly fruity raspberries. Feel is medium to light, very tart and tingly on the tongue. The taste is pretty good, this is very tart, I get a little raspberry, a little over ripe fruit, maybe something slightly rotting, there is a little hop bite at the end. Overall this is a pretty good beer, more sour tart than I expected, but I liked the way this one falls towards the tart end than the Strawberry one I had a few weeks ago.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

I split this bottle with my wife thinking this ale would be geared more for her,I actually didnt think it was all that bad.Poured the color of a pepperment stick (not the white part of course),with a nice tight pink colored head atop,aromas of candied sweet raspberries with faint caramel-like sweetness.Flavors start out very sweet and sticky but ends with a nice tart finish,more like fresh raspberries.Not something I could drink much of,but for what it is its pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

While I'm not a big fruit beer fan, this one has me torn a bit. I'm not sure if it reminds me of a juice when I was younger, or dare I say it, my palate may be evolving? I think as of now it is the former of the two. Very sweet and crisp with little fireworks bubbles in the center of the glass once the head dissipated. Not too bad, once and a while for now.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, dark red in color, clear

Smell: tart raspberries and sugar

Taste: big tart raspberries...a bit of caramel malt, and sugar.

Mouthfeel: tart and sweet. The sweetness never gets to the cloying level, high carbonation, light body

Overall: The Sam Smith organic fruit line all seems to follow in the same pattern. Very good, fruity, sweet beers that all taste like beer still as opposed to wine coolers. This one has a bit more tartness than the others and is my favorite of the pack, but all make excellent dessert beers. I will be having this again.

Good but very fruity in all aspects

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-purple color with an off-white head. The aroma is strong raspberry with not much else. The flavor is identical to the aroma. Other than a lot of raspberry, I don't get anything else. The beer is very sweet and tastes more like raspberry juice than any kind of a beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a lovely dark red - almost purple, ruby when held to the light. About a half-inch of light pink foam, good retention and some lacing. Looks unlike any beer I've tried before, but still looks good.

Nose is mostly raspberry with just a touch of lemon tartness. Not getting anything 'beer' in here, but I happen to really enjoy raspberries, so I'm digging this. They smell geniune, which is a big plus.

Again, the taste is all raspberry - lovely and tart. Not overly sweet or else I doubt I could finish the whole bottle. Nor is it as tart as a lambic or sour. Just a tasty flavor of raspberry. Finishes dry and puckery.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, which is again probably a good thing, or else it would have the consistancy of a raspberry cooler. Medium body, dryness in the finish.

It's hard to for me to really call this a beer, since the raspberry flavor doesn't accentuate - it dominates - the ale. Other fruit beers are a little bit more subtle, blending wheat or classic ale flavors with a fruit backing. Still, whatever it is Sam Smith's did, they did it well. The raspberry flavor is fresh, real, tart, not overlysweet, and with good carbonation. I rated the drinkability for this a bit low because finishing the bottle will be tough. It's refreshing, certainly tasty, but a hard taste to stick with. I'll certainly drink this again, but I'll be sharing!

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Deep murky ruby tinted boy with a pink colored head forming thick, 500ml bottle this could be a whole lot of fruit beer. Fine even lacing dispersed nicely, aroma is full of tart raspberries and fruit jam with an earthy seed based accent. Light airy fruit with tart perfume like notes of raspberry fruit, a very nice smelling beer. Flavor wise it's extremely tart bordering sour, finishes dry after the fruit sugars subside with the sweetness. Much like fermented fruit juice, in this case tart raspberries. A bit of lactic yogurt like flavors amongst the fruit and malt interplay absolutely no hop profile to speak of. Dry finish, body has sturdy champagne like carbonation, medium bodied a bit cloying. Overall a very drinkable fruit ale, I don't find many out there, but this one is enjoyable natural fruit flavors provide for a nice beer experience.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one looks like a raspberry soda might, only quite a bit thicker and with a reasonably substantial ecru head. I might call it mauve, or something close with maybe a bit more red to it. Lace is small, tight and bubbly but better than average in quantity.
I like the sweet smell and taste mingling with the tartness, and the raspberry is certainly fresh. This one does have the least character from the base beer coming through between the others I've tried (apricot and strawberry, to this point). It does offer a crackery sort of malt and a bit of dusty earth, so I do get it. The other beers do have quite a fruit presence while allowing the beer to shine more effectively, though.
It's light to medium bodied and just short of spritzy. It does lean toward a soda-like feel but eases off the bubbly carbonation just at the precipice. As it is, it's a nice and refreshing apartif or dessert-type beer that can also be enjoyed alone or with the main course.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)