Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: TKempe on 01-20-2009

Reviews by ThatWineGuy:
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

On the pour, a foamy, fizzy three to four finger pinkish head with generous small bubble carbonation, active, almost furious to begin with. The ale is darker than I expected, ruby red, almost garnet in the glass. The carbonation continued unabated, long lived, with slippery lace sticking around and decent retention. An odour of raspberries alright, but also some rhubarb in the mix and a bit of an unknown smell much like lavender but not at all annoying as lavender would be in a beer. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I liked it.

The taste is of berry and fruit, sweetness is about right with a dry, saccharine quality to it. There is a nice balance between tartness and sweetness and an aftertaste that really cleanses the palette with a refreshing and balanced tart fruit finish. I am not a huge fan of fruit beer but this is actually quite nice. Body is not quite as thin as many fruit beers I've tried, it has a bit of sprtiz to it as expected. Overall, a very decent fruit ale and a very decent ale overall. Unlike most fruit ales, I could drink several of these in a sitting. (1,094 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

I split this bottle with my wife thinking this ale would be geared more for her,I actually didnt think it was all that bad.Poured the color of a pepperment stick (not the white part of course),with a nice tight pink colored head atop,aromas of candied sweet raspberries with faint caramel-like sweetness.Flavors start out very sweet and sticky but ends with a nice tart finish,more like fresh raspberries.Not something I could drink much of,but for what it is its pretty good. (476 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

While I'm not a big fruit beer fan, this one has me torn a bit. I'm not sure if it reminds me of a juice when I was younger, or dare I say it, my palate may be evolving? I think as of now it is the former of the two. Very sweet and crisp with little fireworks bubbles in the center of the glass once the head dissipated. Not too bad, once and a while for now. (359 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, dark red in color, clear

Smell: tart raspberries and sugar

Taste: big tart raspberries...a bit of caramel malt, and sugar.

Mouthfeel: tart and sweet. The sweetness never gets to the cloying level, high carbonation, light body

Overall: The Sam Smith organic fruit line all seems to follow in the same pattern. Very good, fruity, sweet beers that all taste like beer still as opposed to wine coolers. This one has a bit more tartness than the others and is my favorite of the pack, but all make excellent dessert beers. I will be having this again. (593 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

Good but very fruity in all aspects (35 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-purple color with an off-white head. The aroma is strong raspberry with not much else. The flavor is identical to the aroma. Other than a lot of raspberry, I don't get anything else. The beer is very sweet and tastes more like raspberry juice than any kind of a beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (378 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured a lovely dark red - almost purple, ruby when held to the light. About a half-inch of light pink foam, good retention and some lacing. Looks unlike any beer I've tried before, but still looks good.

Nose is mostly raspberry with just a touch of lemon tartness. Not getting anything 'beer' in here, but I happen to really enjoy raspberries, so I'm digging this. They smell geniune, which is a big plus.

Again, the taste is all raspberry - lovely and tart. Not overly sweet or else I doubt I could finish the whole bottle. Nor is it as tart as a lambic or sour. Just a tasty flavor of raspberry. Finishes dry and puckery.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, which is again probably a good thing, or else it would have the consistancy of a raspberry cooler. Medium body, dryness in the finish.

It's hard to for me to really call this a beer, since the raspberry flavor doesn't accentuate - it dominates - the ale. Other fruit beers are a little bit more subtle, blending wheat or classic ale flavors with a fruit backing. Still, whatever it is Sam Smith's did, they did it well. The raspberry flavor is fresh, real, tart, not overlysweet, and with good carbonation. I rated the drinkability for this a bit low because finishing the bottle will be tough. It's refreshing, certainly tasty, but a hard taste to stick with. I'll certainly drink this again, but I'll be sharing! (1,376 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Deep murky ruby tinted boy with a pink colored head forming thick, 500ml bottle this could be a whole lot of fruit beer. Fine even lacing dispersed nicely, aroma is full of tart raspberries and fruit jam with an earthy seed based accent. Light airy fruit with tart perfume like notes of raspberry fruit, a very nice smelling beer. Flavor wise it's extremely tart bordering sour, finishes dry after the fruit sugars subside with the sweetness. Much like fermented fruit juice, in this case tart raspberries. A bit of lactic yogurt like flavors amongst the fruit and malt interplay absolutely no hop profile to speak of. Dry finish, body has sturdy champagne like carbonation, medium bodied a bit cloying. Overall a very drinkable fruit ale, I don't find many out there, but this one is enjoyable natural fruit flavors provide for a nice beer experience. (852 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)