Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: TKempe on 01-20-2009

Ratings: 451 | Reviews: 175

a b c d e

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer! Disclosure: I love raspberries and fruity beers! I am also a fan of Lindeman's framboise but this isn't as tart and has a perfect balance or fruit and actual "beer" taste! I highly recommend trying this beer! I bet it's to-die-for on tap!

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

Color: clear, dark pink with an amber hue

Smell: raspberries and more raspberries. some alcohol and a hint of malt

Taste: lots of raspberry. pretty much nothing but raspberry. raspberry juice with sparkle from carbonation and alcohol. raspberry finish. its hard for me to get passed the juice and detect much malt and wheat. not too tart but probly couldnt drink too much of it.

Mouthfeel: low-medium body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: delicious! a very refreshing beer. maybe not very popular but definitely superb for the style

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

I picked this up for my girl because she's always asking for fruit beers and I was hoping this would be enjoyable for both of us, as I trust the brewery and a lot of other fruit beers have left me fairly disappointed. This was amazing. Poured deep, dark purple and you could immediately smell the raspberries. The bulk of the flavor was raspberry but it managed to still be a great "beer" if you take my meaning. Felt like a complex and well thought out brew as opposed to a syrupy fructose mess as many fruit beers tend to be.

4.66/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Not too sweet. Very filling flavor. Purchased from PJ's liquor in Saint Augustine.

4.58/5  rDev +19%

I must be a slow learner since on Easter Sunday 2011, I was marginally a fan of the cherry ale and not a fan of the strawberry ale, both thanks to their being a bit too sweet for my taste. I did not have a bottle of the raspberry ale at the time or I would have reviewed all three at once. I have since procured a bottle of the raspberry ale and my review follows.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic raspberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

The pour produced the prettiest two fingers of pink head ever! It looked like cotton candy atop the beer. The beer itself was a deep pinkish-red with NE-quality clarity. The nose smelled of red raspberry preserves, like my late paternal grandmother used to make from berries grown out back in her garden. Bliss! Mouthfeel was fizzy and big in the mouth and there was nothing sweet about this beer. I have long known that raspberries impart a tartness that may be overwhelming at times, but this was great on a hot, humid late-spring afternoon. I poured about three-quarters of the bottle into my glass, setting the rest aside for a blend with some Bear Republic Stout later. Finish was tart, not puckeringly so, but enough to let me know that I was alive and kicking. I have to give major props to a beer not only this tasty, but certified organic, to boot.

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

i already reviewed the cherry, but this one is even better. very drinkable, nice body/mouthfeel (not too much carbonation...not thick and syrupy) which allows the raspberry flavor to assert itself in this beer foundation. the nose is fruity but in a refreshing way (unlike a cooler as some might expect). excellent alternative (for me) to the more expensive, tart lambics

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a dark purple with a more clear red near the bottom of the glass. 2/3 inch head of a pink color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, amazingly fresh raspberries, slight yeast, and slight grain. Fits the style of a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and smooth with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, sugar, fresh raspberries, and very slight tart malt. Overall, as far as fresh, strong tasting raspberry beers - this is the best I've ever had. I downed this 18oz. in a matter of minutes.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Where to begin...the head! It starts out thick, but is weak looking underneath the puffy top, and quickly dissipates to a thinnish, but dense layer that is reddish, with a hue of plum purple in it. The color is a hazy raspberry red (go figure!) and there doesn't appear to be a ton of carbonation. My glass is really full but it looks like there is good lacing in this one...after a few sips, I can say that the lacing is thick on the glass, so huge props to that!

S- Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries! It really smells like I've just been picking them off my mother in laws' bushes in the garden late in the summer! There is a bit of a cloying sugary sweetness that gives the aroma a bit of a jam like character. Really nothing else is detectable here, so it has this area nailed down really well!

T- Mmmm, this is really good! There is an upfront fresh raspberry juice flavor that hits the palate with all the tartness it can muster, yet has that ripe berry sweetness to help balance this out...just like the perfect berry! The finish is surprisingly clean, with a very modest hop presence. I really like the flavors presented here!

M- Along with the richness of the berry flavor, this has a full body, and has a very creamy bread like quality to it. The carbonation is there but is very well absorbed into the beer itself that it just helps bring out the tartness. Very nice indeed!

D- I have given a lot of brews a very high mark, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that it'll be hard to ever top this as my favorite fruit based beer! Samuel Smith, as always, does an excellent job with their product! The alcohol is so well hidden that you don't even know it's there....and even though this is an excellent beer, one pint is plenty for me....but on a hot summer day on the patio, I might be up for seconds!

Here's a great recipe. RASPBERRY FRUIT BREAD
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup – 1 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped (be picky about this-Whole Foods or Trader Joe's)
1 bottle (1 pt. 2.7 oz) Samuel Smith’s Raspberry Ale
Heat oven to 350. Mix together thoroughly all ingredients, put in loaf pan,bake 1 hr.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Beer poured with a pink tinted head. Color is red/orange where the light comes through on the side and cloudy brown in the center. Smells of strong raspberries (not artificial either.) Backed by a sweetness of some kind. Taste is sweet and thick berry flavor. Tastes like a mouthful of raspberry juice with a bit of crisp finish that is accentuated by the carbonation. Great fruit beer same caliber as Samuel Smith's other organic fruit beers, which I can't wait to drink at this point. Bought these for my fiance and had to give them a try. Like everything I've tried by Samuel Smith so far.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Smiths Raspberry Fruit Ale is made by blending a base beer with fruit juice (or concentrate, in this case), giving the beer an intense pinkish-red hue that matches the colour of the raspberries sold by my local berry farm in pinkish-red intensity. Topped by a mountainous cap of foam in a lighter shade of pink, this is a pretty tasty looking beer. The aroma is rioutously loud blast of sweet & sour raspberry candy. It might be one note, but it's one hell of a big note. Without added sugar like Fruli, this blend of beer and fruit juice comes across as less sweet. I'm not saying this is sweet, just that what sweetness it has is easily balanced by the tannin and tartness provided by the raspberry. That raspberry flavour is as big as it smells too. This is one seriously fruity fruit beer. The use of natural raspberry extract in addition to the juice concentrate amplifies things just a little bit. Medium bodied with a sticky, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Intensely fruity with no artificial chemical flavours, and thats all I expect of a simple fruit beer. I'd love to pair this with some decadent brownies or devils food cake for dessert. I bet you could make an awesome reduction out of this and use it as a sauce on cheesecake. I assume it doesn't contain hops since they aren't listed as an ingredient, so there isn't any bitterness to worry about concentrating.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brownish-red color and a cloudy consistency. There were two inches of pink colored, creamy, fairly long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: Lots of raspberries here, with a hint of malt.

T: Tasted of raspberries (no surprise there), and some malt. This beer won't win any prizes for its complexity (fruit beers rarely do), but it is very good at what it does.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a somewhat slick finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: Granted, I don't drink fruit beers all the time, but this is definitely a good choice if I did.

4.37/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a big pink-white bubbly head that's very effervescent. The beer is a blend of pink and brown, distinctively not red IMO, but my wife says it's red. The head started big but faded leaving very little lace. THere's some a/c but not much, and it's sort of translucent, not really crystal clear at all.

S: Well, raspberries obviously. There is some grainy-malty sweetness as well. The smell is very powerful as soon as you open the bottle it fills the air with a wonderful bouquet. No hops. I am oh so tempted to give a 5 but something is missing.

T: Raspberry lollipop I think describes it best. The beeriness of it seems to make it taste less like an actual berry and more artificial though, deliciously artificial. Its very sweet, just a little tart. Still no hops, which is a shame. I think some florally ones could compliment it well.

M: Bubbles. It really feels like pop, which is good in a fruit beer. It's biting with the flavor and works very well nice and cold.

D: Great, but I think with all the carbonation it would start to make me burpy in not a long time and I HATE that.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Deep murky ruby tinted boy with a pink colored head forming thick, 500ml bottle this could be a whole lot of fruit beer. Fine even lacing dispersed nicely, aroma is full of tart raspberries and fruit jam with an earthy seed based accent. Light airy fruit with tart perfume like notes of raspberry fruit, a very nice smelling beer. Flavor wise it's extremely tart bordering sour, finishes dry after the fruit sugars subside with the sweetness. Much like fermented fruit juice, in this case tart raspberries. A bit of lactic yogurt like flavors amongst the fruit and malt interplay absolutely no hop profile to speak of. Dry finish, body has sturdy champagne like carbonation, medium bodied a bit cloying. Overall a very drinkable fruit ale, I don't find many out there, but this one is enjoyable natural fruit flavors provide for a nice beer experience.

4.35/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I think Wedge summed it up very well, and his review is exactly what I would anticipate a more seasoned beer connoisseur to write.

"Pours a beautiful, deep ruby color with a billowy pink head that compresses to a dense, lumpy slab in the center. Deep, sweet, almost creamy raspberry juice in the nose. Big raspberry flavor as well...juicy, sweet, and somewhat tart. Slightly dry in the finish, medium bodied, and a little slick. Very fruity, but thankfully not too sweet or syrupy. Quite the refreshing beverage, but pretty much just raspberry juice."

It is quite a pretty red, but mine is more of a rose color. No lumpy slab for me, but a thin lacy froth after the billow. I agree on the aroma, body and finish. I didn't think the flavor was as sweet or full raspberry, more of a raspberry Jolly Rancher but less sweet and less tart. It's not nearly as smack-you-in-the-face fruity as the Lindemans Framboise Lambic, but it's nice, light and pleasant.

Addendum, 6/20: happened to have part of the bottle left over and nothing to cover it with. It was also taken out of the fridge unbeknownst to me, so it had time to "breathe", I suppose. I like it a lot better this way, actually. It is, however, much more like raspberry juice today. Sweeter, less tart, still refreshing and pleasant. Still prefer lambic, but this is a nice compromise.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I enjoyed this beer very much. The raspberry works well with the malt/chocolate flavors. It is as if I drank a liquified raspberry truffle. Seems like a dessert beer to be enjoyed on special occasions.

I like the fact that it is organic too. I'll have a few bottles on hand this holiday.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

355ml bottle into a snifter glass. Paid £2.30 for a single bottle.

Pours a deep, rich red body, that when held to the light turns to a bright, pinkish ruby. A three-finger in height, pink-tinged, white foamy head disappears quickly leaving a small amount of soapy lacing.

Aromas of fresh, tart, cooked raspberries hit the nose as soon as the bottle is open. The taste follows suit, with a deliciously long, smooth, tangy, sweet natural raspberry flavour, followed by a tart, zingy, slightly earthy and dry finish. Light bodied with a generous amount carbonation it manages to avoid feeling cloying despite being fairly sweet.

Overall this is an excellent beer. True to the fruit, massively easy drinking and refreshing. Would recommend.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a nice dark fruity lager that has a sweet taste. The color is almost like a cloudy red wine. The taste is fruity with a sweet raspberry flavor, not too strong, but still noticeable.
This would be a nice dessert beer. And with an alcohol content of 5.10%, it is one of the stronger fruit lagers. Also it is Organic if you like organic foods and drinks.
I really enjoy this and look forward to tasting their other fruit beers.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Beautiful and bold dark fire-red color leaning toward a deeper burgundy sort of look. Pink head is packed firm and insanely creamy, leaving a ton of pink lace on the glass in its wake.

There's no denying this aroma. It's big, full, sweet, tart...and yes, a crazy raspberry overload. It's tempered by an extremely earthy character, something I can't put my finger on but reminds me of words like "dirt," "grass" and "basement." All in a good way.

Flavor is bursting with raspberry, but the beauty of this is that it never gets too sweet or too tart. The balance seems achieved by an earthy (that word again) grainy/bready element, keeping the beer from being one of those too-typical and too-one dimensional fruit beer novelties. Mildly tart in the finish, this beer is quite the opposite of dry...I guess "wet"!

Full, creamy mouthfeel has plenty of weight and carbonation to it. Just right for what's going on here.

A month or so ago I was pleasantly surprised at how good Samuel Smith's Cherry ale was--I had to try another. Glad I did. In my world, fruit beer greatness is not purely owned by New Glarus and the Belgians...not anymore.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - a beautiful two finger foamy head with patchy lacing - slowly subsided to a half finger long lasting head that could be regenerated with a quick swirl of the glass - cloudy bubbly sparkling raspberry juice

S - Raspberries wafting out the bottle before it was poured - not some syrupy knock off but real raspberries picked from the backyard - slight malt and wheat notes

T - Again huge raspberry flavor that is not overpowering like a cooler, more like raspberry juice without the extra sugar in a cooler, still an undercurrent of wheat and some malt - just enough to balance this ale perfectly

M - lots of carbonation in this medium bodied brew - if I ever become a raging booze hound this will be my breakfast beer on a warm sunny morning - has that refreshing champagne feel with a nice dry finish

O - definitely the best fruit ale I have had - although it was not cheap - from begining to end I savoured the flavor and refreshing mouthfeel - and even my wife loved it!!

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Me and my friend shared a 550ml at my local Gateway Grill.

A - Looks of a ruby like liquid with a quickly retaliating pink head. Man what a cool looking beer.

S - Best part of the beer! Smells of fresh ripened raspberry's, juices, and cocktails that provide a sweet yet sour smell. Crazy!

T - The taste is exactly what the smell was but to a fault. Sure it's sugary and delicious but should you finish 16oz to yourself? Not really. This is really the only beer that the flavor became cloying to me after 8 oz and is really was "sweet"

M - Light and refreshing. Session-able in small doses.

D - They really are much to drink more than a bottle and more likely to be shared than drank alone

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Poured a red color with a pink head that leaves lacing behind

S - Smells like a raspberry soda pretty much

T - I really don't taste anything other than the raspberries but it tastes good so thats ok

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

D - When I was buying this beer I had huge doubts because its organic and a fruit beer but I have been blown away by this one I think I tastes very good for a fruit beer worth getting some time to try

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Proud and not ashamed, I love this beer. Not all the time, and not for every occasion, but maybe once every month this is ok to pull out and put a few down. The pour is rasberry candy red, small pinkish head. The flavor and mouthfeel is a strong rasberry flavor, nothing fake or vitamin like, full flavored rasberries. This beer is to drinkable, but also an ambiance brew, has to be the right time, but overall solid stuff if you like the style.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Razspurru

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)