Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: TKempe on 01-20-2009)
wattoclone

KrisDLSmith

Ontario (Canada)

06-28-2012 03:55:17 | More by KrisDLSmith
veronicaraye

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer! Disclosure: I love raspberries and fruity beers! I am also a fan of Lindeman's framboise but this isn't as tart and has a perfect balance or fruit and actual "beer" taste! I highly recommend trying this beer! I bet it's to-die-for on tap!

11-14-2013 17:46:02 | More by veronicaraye
Frosty80

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%

Color: clear, dark pink with an amber hue

Smell: raspberries and more raspberries. some alcohol and a hint of malt

Taste: lots of raspberry. pretty much nothing but raspberry. raspberry juice with sparkle from carbonation and alcohol. raspberry finish. its hard for me to get passed the juice and detect much malt and wheat. not too tart but probly couldnt drink too much of it.

Mouthfeel: low-medium body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: delicious! a very refreshing beer. maybe not very popular but definitely superb for the style

05-29-2009 04:33:37 | More by Frosty80

Virgin Islands (British)

05-14-2014 00:45:24 | More by JSails
josefnewsong

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

I picked this up for my girl because she's always asking for fruit beers and I was hoping this would be enjoyable for both of us, as I trust the brewery and a lot of other fruit beers have left me fairly disappointed. This was amazing. Poured deep, dark purple and you could immediately smell the raspberries. The bulk of the flavor was raspberry but it managed to still be a great "beer" if you take my meaning. Felt like a complex and well thought out brew as opposed to a syrupy fructose mess as many fruit beers tend to be.

11-24-2009 05:54:10 | More by josefnewsong
mempath

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

i already reviewed the cherry, but this one is even better. very drinkable, nice body/mouthfeel (not too much carbonation...not thick and syrupy) which allows the raspberry flavor to assert itself in this beer foundation. the nose is fruity but in a refreshing way (unlike a cooler as some might expect). excellent alternative (for me) to the more expensive, tart lambics

01-13-2010 23:20:32 | More by mempath
woodychandler

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

I must be a slow learner since on Easter Sunday 2011, I was marginally a fan of the cherry ale and not a fan of the strawberry ale, both thanks to their being a bit too sweet for my taste. I did not have a bottle of the raspberry ale at the time or I would have reviewed all three at once. I have since procured a bottle of the raspberry ale and my review follows.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic raspberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

The pour produced the prettiest two fingers of pink head ever! It looked like cotton candy atop the beer. The beer itself was a deep pinkish-red with NE-quality clarity. The nose smelled of red raspberry preserves, like my late paternal grandmother used to make from berries grown out back in her garden. Bliss! Mouthfeel was fizzy and big in the mouth and there was nothing sweet about this beer. I have long known that raspberries impart a tartness that may be overwhelming at times, but this was great on a hot, humid late-spring afternoon. I poured about three-quarters of the bottle into my glass, setting the rest aside for a blend with some Bear Republic Stout later. Finish was tart, not puckeringly so, but enough to let me know that I was alive and kicking. I have to give major props to a beer not only this tasty, but certified organic, to boot.

06-01-2011 20:43:12 | More by woodychandler
Tone

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a dark purple with a more clear red near the bottom of the glass. 2/3 inch head of a pink color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, amazingly fresh raspberries, slight yeast, and slight grain. Fits the style of a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and smooth with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, sugar, fresh raspberries, and very slight tart malt. Overall, as far as fresh, strong tasting raspberry beers - this is the best I've ever had. I downed this 18oz. in a matter of minutes.

11-30-2009 02:08:25 | More by Tone
grahamboudreaux

Tennessee

4.56/5  rDev +19.1%

08-23-2014 20:32:13 | More by grahamboudreaux
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

A- Where to begin...the head! It starts out thick, but is weak looking underneath the puffy top, and quickly dissipates to a thinnish, but dense layer that is reddish, with a hue of plum purple in it. The color is a hazy raspberry red (go figure!) and there doesn't appear to be a ton of carbonation. My glass is really full but it looks like there is good lacing in this one...after a few sips, I can say that the lacing is thick on the glass, so huge props to that!

S- Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries! It really smells like I've just been picking them off my mother in laws' bushes in the garden late in the summer! There is a bit of a cloying sugary sweetness that gives the aroma a bit of a jam like character. Really nothing else is detectable here, so it has this area nailed down really well!

T- Mmmm, this is really good! There is an upfront fresh raspberry juice flavor that hits the palate with all the tartness it can muster, yet has that ripe berry sweetness to help balance this out...just like the perfect berry! The finish is surprisingly clean, with a very modest hop presence. I really like the flavors presented here!

M- Along with the richness of the berry flavor, this has a full body, and has a very creamy bread like quality to it. The carbonation is there but is very well absorbed into the beer itself that it just helps bring out the tartness. Very nice indeed!

D- I have given a lot of brews a very high mark, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that it'll be hard to ever top this as my favorite fruit based beer! Samuel Smith, as always, does an excellent job with their product! The alcohol is so well hidden that you don't even know it's there....and even though this is an excellent beer, one pint is plenty for me....but on a hot summer day on the patio, I might be up for seconds!

05-12-2011 22:44:34 | More by ChrisCage

Jules11788

04-25-2014 21:39:29 | More by Jules11788
WuBByG999

04-30-2014 04:10:07 | More by WuBByG999
Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)