Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009

Strawberry love in a large bottle. Yum. Not too sweet but just enough to feel like you're running thru a strawberry patch on a beautiful summer day. Absolutely delicious. A must remember. (187 characters)

I was mildly skeptical of this ale's fruity properties until I popped the cap and the tremendous aroma of strawberries filled my kitchen. I poured the dark orange ale into my tall pils glass and sampled the ale...well, it wasn't really tasting like ale...it was strawberry puree with a slight tartness to it. The taste was so much strawberry that I missed the ale until it warmed up, but the combination was so exciting.

The experience of blending fruit in a blender for pile filling or mixed drink special would normally achieve the same results as the ale in my glass. I cannot remember anything in beer like this. (618 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +25.5%

A: Cloudy and rusty-hued; topped with a golden, off-white, two-finger head that lasted nicely, but with minimal lacing.

S: Smells exactly like strawberry jam cooking in a pot.

T: Tart, cooked strawberries is the first and dominant flavor. There's a creaminess to it, and a touch of bitter hops, but those play second fiddle to the overwhelming strawberry flavor. Yet it works! It is seriously delicious!

M: Crisp and bursting with carbonation as it washes over the tongue. The bubbles fade into a creamy smoothness, before a mild dryness kicks in at the end. Indeed, it was that rare mix of refreshing beginning and tart, dry end to make you crave the next sip.

O: I'd been told about this one ages ago, but gave it a pass for so long because I thought it would be just another "girl drink." It is amazingly fruity, that's for sure, but not in a cloying way -- the tartness prevents that, and is more lambic than traditional beer. Frankly, this is the epitome of a fruit beer. Is it for everyday drinking? No (at least not for me!) But just like it's nice to have dessert as a change of pace after a lot of hearty meals, it's very enjoyable to sample this one from time to time. (1,182 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you're looking for a refreshing beer for the summer....THIS IS IT! I bought this on a whim since I love the Organic Chocolate Stout and was not disappointed. It pours to a golden amber with an absolutely perfect head. The aroma is strictly strawberry and it goes down almost as fast as you can drink it.
I am usually a dark/stout drinker and this ale has converted me...give it a try. (387 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Definitely my favorite Fruit beer ever. Hands down. The first thing I noticed is its smell. I got strong notes of strawberry jam and honey with a slight citrus undertone. It smells absolutely delicious to say the least. The taste is very similar as well. I get creamy strawberry notes with honey, citrus, wheat and smooth malts to finish it off. Truly a masterpiece in my opinion. This is how Fruit beer should be in my head. (425 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy amber into my pint glass with a nice inch and a half head that lingered for a bit. Good lacing during the drinking period too.

Aroma was of strawberries with a subtle citrus hop backing.

Flavor was of strawberries and a malty flavor that produced a creamy texture. The light hops balance it out at the end. I was pretty impressed by this brew (and so was my girlfriend, we both wanted more of this stuff).

Medium-full mouthfeel because of the creaminess of the brew and the carbonation. Rich, sweet/bittersweet mouthfeel that coats the tounge.

A very interesting drink. I would definitely have this again. I wouldn't call this a session beer unless you like knitting doiley's all night long but it's still good as hell! (739 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass, revealing a muddled and cloudy rose body under an active but thin white head. Very pretty, very delicate. I can smell the strawberries from feet away. Smells like Smuckers strawberry jam. Guess that's what I'd look for in a beer featuring strawberries.

Tastes light, sweet, strawberry-y and spritz-y. Slightest flavor of the ale comes through at the end, which is commendable in its bread-like character. Honestly, it tastes like I've taken a slice of fresh-baked white bread and absolutely drowned it in strawberry jam, then chased it with a dry champagne. I have to say I like that. Mouthfeel is vivacious with a tiny pelting carbonation livening up an otherwise light and slightly dry body. Very refreshing, very drinkable.

With a nod to the natural flavors, it's tough to make a beer more "fruit" than this. I applaud the way it came out. (888 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just died and went to fruit beer heaven!

A- An opaque copper color, frothy head with high retention, and heavy lacing.

S- Smells like strawberry jam!

T- Tastes like strawberry jam as well. I have a sweet tooth and I'm loving this right now. If you're one to dislike sweet things, I wouldn't recommend it, but it is highly recommended to anyone who does. While it says it's made with fruit juice, it doesn't taste artificial to me, which is a huge plus.

M- Like a heavily carbonated juice.

I can't believe I didn't try this sooner! I kept passing it up for the other Sam Smith stouts (also awesome) but I'm interested in their other fruit beers now. (657 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +18.2%

A recent find that absolutely blew my mind. I found it at Wegman's here in Central PA and I was floored with how balanced this was. Starting off, the nose on this was phenomenal, my fiancee smelled it as soon as I opened it and she was sitting on the couch about 15 feet away, I kid you not. Secondly, it went down extremely smooth without any residual bitterness. My fiancee even enjoyed a sip or two and she RARELY drinks beer at all. The sweetness is up-front for sure but it's not fake feeling. It tastes like the natural sweetness of a strawberry picked right in season. It doesn't taste like sugar was just dumped in. The finish on this was amazing as well, it left no aftertaste at all, very clear, very tidy. (716 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

very good beer. this beer has a great taste. it looks, smells tastes very nice. very smooth texture. i rate this a+ if f like fruit flavered beers. over all an a because some may not like this type of beer. i recommmend all of samaul smiths flavored beers. (256 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

I think this a a really good beer once you open the bottle you can smell the fruit and the taste is awesome I would definitely buy this again this is my second Strawberry flavor and I like this one the best so far when I saw it on the shelf it stood out because of the art work I will be purchasing this again for sure (318 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +16.9%

One of the best fruit beers I have ever had. Smells delicously fuity but the taste is subtly sweet. Perfect balance of fruit and hops and extremely drinkable. Unique flavor, yet not over the top like some fruit beers. I wish they were located locally so i could take a visit to the brewery. (290 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought this at Star Liquor in Ashland, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.99.

Pours a clear golden amber color with a very thick long lasting head. Scent is that of stong sweet strawberries. The taste reminds me of a delicious strawberry smoothie in the summer. Very nicely made and blended. I understand that there are some people of there that don't like flavored beers, but if you like fruit beers...this is a must try beer! (421 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: straw colored, nice big white head. Loads of bubbles.
Smell: Straight up sweet strawberries. Simple and wonderful.
Taste: More of the same. Simple and delicious.
Overall : this is dangerously drinkable. I love a complex barrel aged stout but I can't imagine a better fit for this hot May Ga. Evening. (312 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: As you might expect, the strawberries take center stage in the aroma. A powerful scent.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by strawberries, but there was a hint of malt in this as well. Not exactly a complex beer, but pretty tasty nonetheless.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This is a thoroughly enjoyable beer. If you like strawberries check it out. (569 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a pinkish tone that is somewhat hazed....not sure if from chilling for from yeast....I'll go with the latter! The color of the head is just off white and starts about two fingers thick and really holds its form, leaving behind a thick one finger thick film over the brew! Carbonation is aggressive by looks and the lacing is somewhat modest....with small patches sticking to my glass....

S- This really smells like strawberries and cream! Underlying aromas of yeast, caramel and a syrupy note are included....the finish is non existent really....this is just pure freshly pressed strawberry juice that has been fermented into a simply yummy smelling brew!

T- Flavors follow the aromas very precisely! There is a fresh creamy tart strawberry fruit flavor that is simply refreshing and is very much like juice or a strawberry soda! Yeasty malt is noted....fresh barley grains and a rhubarb quality are blended into this as well. Excellent!

M/O- Heavy carbonation and a full dessert like body make this an ideal summer sipper or would go with strawberries and cream dessert! Alcohol is very well hidden and one really wouldn't know this is a beer without knowing. This is very delectable and I'd recommend....a great beer to get into craft and yet another great offering from Sam Smith! (1,303 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%

From the pour, we see that it is a hazy shade of orange. The head still has not subsided, and it's leaving lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is of strawberry preserves. This is a very strong and good aroma. Taste is berries up front. I got a slightly sour note, but it was quick and went away. Overall I'd give this beer another go around. Very good. (358 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - Hazy amber body with an offwhite head.

Smell - Strawberry milk made with Nesquik. And a bit of caramel.

Taste - Tastes great. Light and refreshing flavor. Plenty of sweetness, but not overdone or artificial tasting. Think of it as a lambic and it's great.

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel. Light, carbonated well, refreshing, and clean.

Overall Drinkability - Great beer. Highly recommended. Great for a hot summer day. Would make for some really interesting food pairings too. (489 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer has a very thick, frothy, off-white head, a mostly opaque, rust-red-orange appearance, and extremely heavy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of overwhelming strawberry juice, with a bready background. Taste is more bread oriented, with a strawberry juice and acid background. Bitterness is minimal. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and somewhat slick, and this beer finishes wet and sweet.

RJT (440 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.8%

The smell, taste, and mouthfeel were all in line with each other. It may be on the sweet side for some, but I loved that it had a true strawberry flavor. A fun beer for a special occassion, but not an every day beer. The fact that it is organic is a plus, too! (260 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Copper in color with reddish white head

S - Smells like strawberry jam!

T - Sweet like strawberry candy with a hint of fermented alcohol flavor.

M - Smooth and carbonated, sticky feel.

O - A terrific fruit ale. Samuel Smith's delivers another fantastic beverage. I love this brewery. (293 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

550ml bottle. A sort of collaboration fruit ale, its component parts brewed in different locations, and brought together for assembly at Tadcaster. I likes me some strawberries, so onwards and upwards!

This beer pours a slightly hazy golden orange amber hue, with three fingers of lazily puffy, and pleasantly foamy off-white head, which leaves some random streaky, sudsy lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of softly sweet wheat malt, and, oh, who am I kidding - it was clear straight from the cap pop - fresh, semi-sweet strawberry juice, very much like a Campino candy, and not much else. The taste is consistent, that much is certain - pure strawberry juice, with its alluring balance of mild fruity sweetness and off-setting acidity, a bit of further strawberry jam complexity, all blended seamlessly with an understated, well rounded grainy wheat malt, full stop, and simply so.

The carbonation is quite mild, just a lulling frothiness playing off the pervasive fruit, the body medium-weight, smooth, creamy and, yes, fruity. It finishes more than a tad off-dry, the heady fruitiness rather slowly fading out, yet still begging for a hasty replenishment.

Having had a few strawberry-infused beers, my only usual complaint is the varying cloying sweetness, despite the tasty strawberry component. This beer corrects that imbalance absolutely, and should, if it's not abundantly clear by now, not be consumed if you are anything less than equivocal on the single-fruit guest star. (1,507 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

500 ml bottle into imperial pint glass, bottled on 10/1/2013. Pours lightly hazy orange copper color with a 2 finger fairly dense light pink head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big juicy strawberry, white sugar, light caramel, bread, and light herbal. Fantastic aromas with huge strawberry presence and balanced malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big juicy strawberry, sugar, light caramel, bread, and light herbal. Some slight earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of strawberry, white sugar, light caramel, bread, and light herbal on the finish for a while. Fantastic robustness and balance of juicy strawberry flavor and malt sweetness; with minimal cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly syrupy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic fruit beer. Huge robustness of strawberry flavors and balanced malt sweetness; and extremely smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,134 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

550ml brown bottle from McKinnon's in Salem, NH. Amber/copper color. translucent. it had an inch of head, but it was short lived sadly. It has a nice strawberry smell. i suspect that real strawberries were used to make the beer because it doesn't smell overly sweet like syrup. It tastes very sweet and bitter, like an under ripe strawberry. Moderate mouthfeel. clean and crisp and very drinkable. (397 characters)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)