Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009)

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

I was mildly skeptical of this ale's fruity properties until I popped the cap and the tremendous aroma of strawberries filled my kitchen. I poured the dark orange ale into my tall pils glass and sampled the ale...well, it wasn't really tasting like ale...it was strawberry puree with a slight tartness to it. The taste was so much strawberry that I missed the ale until it warmed up, but the combination was so exciting.

The experience of blending fruit in a blender for pile filling or mixed drink special would normally achieve the same results as the ale in my glass. I cannot remember anything in beer like this.

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

A: Cloudy and rusty-hued; topped with a golden, off-white, two-finger head that lasted nicely, but with minimal lacing.

S: Smells exactly like strawberry jam cooking in a pot.

T: Tart, cooked strawberries is the first and dominant flavor. There's a creaminess to it, and a touch of bitter hops, but those play second fiddle to the overwhelming strawberry flavor. Yet it works! It is seriously delicious!

M: Crisp and bursting with carbonation as it washes over the tongue. The bubbles fade into a creamy smoothness, before a mild dryness kicks in at the end. Indeed, it was that rare mix of refreshing beginning and tart, dry end to make you crave the next sip.

O: I'd been told about this one ages ago, but gave it a pass for so long because I thought it would be just another "girl drink." It is amazingly fruity, that's for sure, but not in a cloying way -- the tartness prevents that, and is more lambic than traditional beer. Frankly, this is the epitome of a fruit beer. Is it for everyday drinking? No (at least not for me!) But just like it's nice to have dessert as a change of pace after a lot of hearty meals, it's very enjoyable to sample this one from time to time.

4.79/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you're looking for a refreshing beer for the summer....THIS IS IT! I bought this on a whim since I love the Organic Chocolate Stout and was not disappointed. It pours to a golden amber with an absolutely perfect head. The aroma is strictly strawberry and it goes down almost as fast as you can drink it.
I am usually a dark/stout drinker and this ale has converted me...give it a try.

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Definitely my favorite Fruit beer ever. Hands down. The first thing I noticed is its smell. I got strong notes of strawberry jam and honey with a slight citrus undertone. It smells absolutely delicious to say the least. The taste is very similar as well. I get creamy strawberry notes with honey, citrus, wheat and smooth malts to finish it off. Truly a masterpiece in my opinion. This is how Fruit beer should be in my head.

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy amber into my pint glass with a nice inch and a half head that lingered for a bit. Good lacing during the drinking period too.

Aroma was of strawberries with a subtle citrus hop backing.

Flavor was of strawberries and a malty flavor that produced a creamy texture. The light hops balance it out at the end. I was pretty impressed by this brew (and so was my girlfriend, we both wanted more of this stuff).

Medium-full mouthfeel because of the creaminess of the brew and the carbonation. Rich, sweet/bittersweet mouthfeel that coats the tounge.

A very interesting drink. I would definitely have this again. I wouldn't call this a session beer unless you like knitting doiley's all night long but it's still good as hell!

4.63/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass, revealing a muddled and cloudy rose body under an active but thin white head. Very pretty, very delicate. I can smell the strawberries from feet away. Smells like Smuckers strawberry jam. Guess that's what I'd look for in a beer featuring strawberries.

Tastes light, sweet, strawberry-y and spritz-y. Slightest flavor of the ale comes through at the end, which is commendable in its bread-like character. Honestly, it tastes like I've taken a slice of fresh-baked white bread and absolutely drowned it in strawberry jam, then chased it with a dry champagne. I have to say I like that. Mouthfeel is vivacious with a tiny pelting carbonation livening up an otherwise light and slightly dry body. Very refreshing, very drinkable.

With a nod to the natural flavors, it's tough to make a beer more "fruit" than this. I applaud the way it came out.

4.59/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just died and went to fruit beer heaven!

A- An opaque copper color, frothy head with high retention, and heavy lacing.

S- Smells like strawberry jam!

T- Tastes like strawberry jam as well. I have a sweet tooth and I'm loving this right now. If you're one to dislike sweet things, I wouldn't recommend it, but it is highly recommended to anyone who does. While it says it's made with fruit juice, it doesn't taste artificial to me, which is a huge plus.

M- Like a heavily carbonated juice.

I can't believe I didn't try this sooner! I kept passing it up for the other Sam Smith stouts (also awesome) but I'm interested in their other fruit beers now.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)