Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009)
outdoor7or24

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

02-10-2012 03:06:11 | More by enznevr
buyBinboaVodka

1.95/5  rDev -48.4%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalet. Poured a hazy amber with reddish highlights. Head was ginormous with sticky lacing all around the glass.

S - Sweet and sour strawberries up front followed by...strawberries. Almost a smell similiar to a starwberry wine cooler. This has an attractive scent to it.

T - Straight up sweet strawberry soda. I can't really taste any malts in there. It kind of tastes like a strawberry cough syrup to the end of it.

M - Carbonated like a soda with sweet feeling left in the mouth.

O - I think I'd rather drink a BL lime over this. This actually made my stomach turn a little. I think the smell of this beer might give me a gag reflex. Not my thing, but if somebody wants a strawberry beer...are there many other options?

11-17-2011 20:22:53 | More by buyBinboaVodka

12-02-2011 01:48:22 | More by OzmanBey
Reswald

Alaska

2.13/5  rDev -43.7%

Bought this beer on the recommendation of a friend. 500 ml bottle poured into a 21oz snifter.

Poured slightly hazy, Dark honey in color. Nice head. Aroma smelled strongly of fresh strawberries; very nice. Unfortunately the taste was god-awful. Very astringent and nasty. I struggled through a few more sips before pouring the rest down the drain.

I can only assume the bottle had been mistreated. My friend has too good a palate to have touted me on this beer if it had tasted like this to him!

06-26-2009 19:24:03 | More by Reswald
Amalak

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

I had out of the bottle that a friend brought over.
A- It has an opaque brown and red rue. There was some head and lacing.
S- The fruity strawberry scent certainly comes through.
T- Taste like a Belgian beer that had a bunch of strawberry jolly ranchers dropped in. Terrible. Sorry if a lot of people like this, but I am simply not a fan at all.

07-28-2010 17:27:42 | More by Amalak
Nixodyssey

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

08-05-2014 04:50:37 | More by Nixodyssey
jsanford

2.42/5  rDev -36%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks.

06-14-2011 03:37:42 | More by jsanford
nhirsch04

10-07-2013 23:31:19 | More by nhirsch04
kaunshelly

Maryland

12-21-2011 18:23:52 | More by kaunshelly
zeio

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

This beer is not like a fine Lindeman's lambic or a carefully constructed fruit beer. This beer is sweet fruity and the taste is simply disjointed for a fruit beer. I would say that a Bartles and James type drink might be more drinkable than this. I expected a lot more from Samuel Smith, and think there is a possibility the bottle I had was shocked during shipment, but there were fundamental things about this beer I would consider changing if this was my effort from my brewery.

07-20-2009 06:01:47 | More by zeio
OldCandy

Oklahoma

02-25-2014 04:46:53 | More by OldCandy
froghop

2.73/5  rDev -27.8%

pours a clear light amber with a tint of red, has a medium light pink head, and some lacing.

smell is of grain, fruit, and some malt.

taste is sweet, berry, and some malt, ends very sweet.

for a fruit beer it is not that bad, too sweet for my liking but has a decent flavor.

04-22-2009 01:52:28 | More by froghop

Oklahoma

02-26-2014 04:05:09 | More by sneezye
jsisko01

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance - Pours an orangish/apricot color with a half inch thick, off-white head that dissipates instantly.

Smell - Very sweet and I can only detect strawberry aromas..

Taste - WAY too fruity.. Extremely sweet and you have to really love strawberries to enjoy this beer. Slightly bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall - I'm honestly grossed out by this beer... I can't handle more than a couple sips of it lol.

04-15-2012 03:18:57 | More by jsisko01
woodychandler

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

It is Easter Sunday and I am off tomorrow, affording me the opportunity to try some of the beers that have been in my refrigerator awaiting my having the time to spend with them. I am concentrating on the fruit beers right now, having had cherry beer and cranberry kvass earlier.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic strawberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

It was a very active beer with foam that came out of the neck as soon as I popped the cap. It was not a gusher, but I was quick to move it into the sink so as not to have beer all over the counter. The finger of off-white head settled into wisps pretty quickly. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish amber. Nose was definitely strawberry, but with a slight lemony tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial taste of strawberry bubble gum followed by a wheat-like tang. I hate to say it, but this was waaayyy too sweet for the likes of me. Finish left me with the feeling that I was overdosing on kiddie candy. More? No thanks!

04-24-2011 18:38:09 | More by woodychandler
Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)