Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009

2.08/5  rDev -45.5%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalet. Poured a hazy amber with reddish highlights. Head was ginormous with sticky lacing all around the glass.

S - Sweet and sour strawberries up front followed by...strawberries. Almost a smell similiar to a starwberry wine cooler. This has an attractive scent to it.

T - Straight up sweet strawberry soda. I can't really taste any malts in there. It kind of tastes like a strawberry cough syrup to the end of it.

M - Carbonated like a soda with sweet feeling left in the mouth.

O - I think I'd rather drink a BL lime over this. This actually made my stomach turn a little. I think the smell of this beer might give me a gag reflex. Not my thing, but if somebody wants a strawberry beer...are there many other options? (758 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -41.4%

Bought this beer on the recommendation of a friend. 500 ml bottle poured into a 21oz snifter.

Poured slightly hazy, Dark honey in color. Nice head. Aroma smelled strongly of fresh strawberries; very nice. Unfortunately the taste was god-awful. Very astringent and nasty. I struggled through a few more sips before pouring the rest down the drain.

I can only assume the bottle had been mistreated. My friend has too good a palate to have touted me on this beer if it had tasted like this to him! (496 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

I had out of the bottle that a friend brought over.
A- It has an opaque brown and red rue. There was some head and lacing.
S- The fruity strawberry scent certainly comes through.
T- Taste like a Belgian beer that had a bunch of strawberry jolly ranchers dropped in. Terrible. Sorry if a lot of people like this, but I am simply not a fan at all. (345 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -36.4%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks. (708 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer is not like a fine Lindeman's lambic or a carefully constructed fruit beer. This beer is sweet fruity and the taste is simply disjointed for a fruit beer. I would say that a Bartles and James type drink might be more drinkable than this. I expected a lot more from Samuel Smith, and think there is a possibility the bottle I had was shocked during shipment, but there were fundamental things about this beer I would consider changing if this was my effort from my brewery. (482 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a clear light amber with a tint of red, has a medium light pink head, and some lacing.

smell is of grain, fruit, and some malt.

taste is sweet, berry, and some malt, ends very sweet.

for a fruit beer it is not that bad, too sweet for my liking but has a decent flavor. (277 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours an orangish/apricot color with a half inch thick, off-white head that dissipates instantly.

Smell - Very sweet and I can only detect strawberry aromas..

Taste - WAY too fruity.. Extremely sweet and you have to really love strawberries to enjoy this beer. Slightly bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall - I'm honestly grossed out by this beer... I can't handle more than a couple sips of it lol. (458 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -23.6%

It is Easter Sunday and I am off tomorrow, affording me the opportunity to try some of the beers that have been in my refrigerator awaiting my having the time to spend with them. I am concentrating on the fruit beers right now, having had cherry beer and cranberry kvass earlier.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic strawberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

It was a very active beer with foam that came out of the neck as soon as I popped the cap. It was not a gusher, but I was quick to move it into the sink so as not to have beer all over the counter. The finger of off-white head settled into wisps pretty quickly. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish amber. Nose was definitely strawberry, but with a slight lemony tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial taste of strawberry bubble gum followed by a wheat-like tang. I hate to say it, but this was waaayyy too sweet for the likes of me. Finish left me with the feeling that I was overdosing on kiddie candy. More? No thanks! (1,719 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light copper color with red highlights. Big rocky off-white head; decent lacing.

Smell: Smells like strawberry candy. And a bit of fresh greens too.

Taste: Seriously tastes like strawberries and their stems. Actually maybe a bit more like that hard strawberry candy than real strawberries. Very sweet. I can't taste anything else in it.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and a bit fluffy. Light but everpresent carbonation.

Drinkability: If you like the flavor this would probably be good, but it is just so incredibly sweet.

More like candy than a beer. Kinda weird. (630 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -21.7%

A nice frothy head with a strawberry red tint. Very good head retention.

All kinds of strawberry when smelling this. So much that it is tough to tell what else is there. I do smell a bit of a plasticy smell that isn't too nice.

The strawberry taste is fake tasting, like it was from a syrup. There is some essence of malt, but mostly strawberry overkill.

Plenty of carbonation present and after swallowing, it is very similar to the aftertaste of eating a bunch of fruit.

Pretty easy drinker, but the flavor is not that satisfying enough to want more. (556 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -19.6%

An orange colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strawberries and peaches. There is a little citrus here but this is all strawberry and peach in aroma.

The taste starts out sweet with a mélange of fruit flavors only one of which is strawberry. Strawberry, orange and lemon flavor, unexpectedly sweet. Bizarrely this beer doesn't taste all that much like strawberry more like a mixed fruit parfait there is some melon and caramel in there but the taste is sort of a loud shout of fruit on the tongue. Quite nearly a drain pour here. Honestly this tastes more like a dreamsicle than strawberry.

Mouthfeel is good.

I keep trying to reconcile the taste of this beer with strawberries and I can't match that to the taste. At best this has a remote taste of strawberry. Can't give this a very high rating it is just plain weird tasting. (843 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks again to Market of Choice for keeping this beer in stock, for my girlfriend. I tried a few sips of this beer just to get a taste for it. I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, so i tried to be open minded when trying it.

There is a dark amber/berry color to this beer. The smell of strawberries is very potent throughout. It tasted like strawberry, honey, and possibly raspberry. My girlfriend likes it because it's "Organic" and she loves strawberry. I wasn't too impressed with this beer compared to other sammy Smith's. Give me an Oatmeal Stout any day over this beer. (575 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Poured out a clear, copper color with pink highlights. It had a small, off-white head of bubbly foam that left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - It smelled of strawberry. Like some fake strawberry juice.

T - It tasted of sweet strawberry. Really that's it. It's not a great strawberry flavor like a fresh strawberry.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is an okay ale. I liked the apricot ale much better. (474 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, appropriately strawberry-hued body with a thin, fizzy, whitish head. Faintly effervescent.

Smell: Strawberries! Then again, it smelled of strawberries even upon opening. Slight hints of malts beneath, but, boy, the strawberry scent is quite strong. Strawberries!

Taste: Strawberries! Let's go with 85% sweet and 15% tart. It feels like theirs a light beer underneath, but who can tell, what with all the strawberries present. Very, very faint hint of acidity. Seems a bit removed from beer and seems to be trying to be a sweet, fruity malternative.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation. Very lightly crisp.

Drinkability: A sweet fruit beer with enough carbonation to keep it from being too terribly cloying, but it still feels, tastes, smells, and seems very malternative-ish. What's gotten into you, Samuel Smith?! (867 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance of this beer is good, it has a nice clean look to it and a nice gold color. The beer smells of fresh strawberries and smells really good. The taste on the other hand isn't that great. The first sip is good but as you start to drink it more and more the sweetness of the beer is almost too over powering. By the end of the glass I was just happy to be done with it. For me it was way to sweet of a beer (416 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Strawberry beer? Hm... Poured it into a pint glass.

A - A nice, 1-finger head lays on top of a murky, bronze body. Color is a bit-off putting, but there's a fantastic amount of carbonation feeding the head for great retention. Also resulting is a sticky lacing ringing down the glass.

S - Yeasty scents and strawberries galore. A bit sugary... It smells like a fruit preserve more than anything else.

T - Seriously... Strawberries on top of strawberries. There's maybe a bit of malty grains on the side. This hardly tastes like a beer to me. Follows up with an artificial sweetness of sorts... egh.

M - A consistency that slides off of the tongue with a real spot-on carbonation. Finish is remarkably smooth.

D - I don't know... Finishing the bottle was enough for me. I won't go looking for it again.

Overall/notes - This one is tough for me to judge. It does what it wants to, I guess, but I prefer a fruit beer to not overwhelm me. That's the main problem I had here. The strawberries absolutely dominated any other flavor. Good for fans of strawberry jam, I guess. (1,075 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a brown 550ml(28.7oz) bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Big fizzy white head has a slight hue of pink. The body is a slightly hazy amber.

Smell: Aroma of strawberries and oxidation. Perhaps it's meant to be somewhat oxidized as the back label says it undergoes "extended maturation" before being blended with a "previously cellared organic brew". Not quite as sweet or fruity as I was expecting.

Taste: A little tartness up front followed by a candy-like strawberry sweetness that stays on your tastebuds for a while. (536 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

My girlfriend bought this beer over a shopping impulse after seeing "strawberry juice" on it, so we gave it a try. She doesn't like beers that much, but she liked this one because it doesn't taste like beer at all! ...And I don't know if that's a plus.

A: Hazy amber color, with a thick foamy head about an inch tall that dissipates to a thin lace and then disappears.

S: Strawberries all over the nose. Honestly, I can't smell a thing that isn't strawberry yoghurt and tartiness.

T: Too much strawberry for me, it tastes straightforward like a strawberry soda, including the light carbonation. According to my girlfriend, it tastes like strawberry soda mixed with the lightest beer out there. You can taste a little hint of beer at the end, but I'm not sure if it's yeast, malt or wheat because of the faint taste.

M: Soda-ish, with the carbonation and the strong strawberry flavor. I can't think of anything more appropriate than that of a soda mouthfeel here.

Overall, a beer for people who doesn't like beer. My girlfriend liked it because the bitterness of the hops is very well hidden in this beer, and it doesn't taste much like beer at all! I didn't liked it because of the strong strawberry flavor it has, it's just too much for me. I prefer a strong chocolatey stout over this any time.

I didn't liked it, but she did! so 3.5 for effort (and because we finally found a beer for her) (1,398 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

Clear orange hue with a soft peach head, nice sticky lacing. Smells of fresh strawberry sherbert or strawberries and cream even.

Brisk carbonation with a body on the thinner side of medium. Sweet strawberry flavor throughout, silky mouthfeel. Some pale malt shines through and a touch of either yeast bite or hop kicks in to remind you it's still a beer. The snap at the end balances the beer pretty well with only a touch of lingering sweetness.

Good balance and refreshing. Doesn't taste artificial like other fruit beers but it is very close to tasting like sparkling strawberry juice. (590 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

This is probably my least favorite of the Sam Smith fruit beers. Amber color, not red, but then again strawberries don't really contribute that much red coloring. Strawberry jam aroma. In the taste, some strawberry with a little medicinal tartness. I don't think the strawberry plays as well with the base beer as the cherries and raspberries do in their respective editions. Hyper-carbonated and sticky on the palate.

I could drink it again, paired with the right dessert, but otherwise I'd probably reach for the raspberry or cherry ahead of it. (549 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%

Presentation: 19.2 oz brown bottle, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy amber color, with a one finger head that dissolves into a layer of foam that stays over the beer at all times. There's no lacing at all on the glass.

Smell: It smells strongly of strawberry hard candy. It's a very sweet scent.

Taste: Very sweet, just like the nose. Strawberry and malt flavors are all that's here, there's no bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, with high carbonation. It gets quite cloying after a while, but it's not a big issue.

Overall: A very sweet beer with huge strawberry flavors and scents. Not revolutionary or special to be honest, but a very fun experience and a must have for fruit beer lovers. (710 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -11.8%

550ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a slightly pinkish orange color with a loose and somewhat quick dissipating white head...leaves a decent layer of bubbles on the surface.

S - Not surprisingly, this smells largely of fresh strawberries, a touch of vinegary sourness. No hint of hops or malt in the nose - all fruit. Does smell pretty darn good if you like strawberries though, which if you are drinking this beer, you probably do.

T - Tons of strawberry in the flavor too. Very up front and strong. Pretty sweet in overall impression with a slightly strange confectioners sugar character. A touch of astringency and a bit of a tartness from the fruit as well. No hop flavor or bitterness to be found and only the faintest of cereal grainy malt.

M - This is really where I get the most of the confectioners sugar thing. This beer has a sweet and almost powdery feel in the mouth. Carbonation is lower than I expected here - plenty there, but thought it would be more on the high end of the carbonation scale. Overall a very sweet beer that leaves a lingering sugary impression well into the aftertaste.

D - Low in alcohol, high in residual sugar content and fruitiness. If Lindeman's made a strawberry lambic, it might be something like this, but they would probably do a better overall job. Strawberries don't seem to have enough tartness to them to make a truly enjoyable beer. This is an interesting beer, but sharing a single bottle of this is enough for me. Glad to try it, but plenty of other fruit beers that are more appealing to me. (1,562 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

A- This pours a bright golden orange with 3 fingers of off white head, with a pink tinge to it. Retention and lacing is average.

S- Smells of strawberry juice & mild sourness/bitterness. This one almost smells better when your nose isn't right in the glass.

T- This delivers as advertised, it definitely tastes like strawberries. There's a decent malt backbone as well. It finishes a little tart.

M- Medium bodied, with a bit of a syrupy like quality to it, which I'm not a huge fan of.

D- This is one of the better fruit beers for sure, but I'm limited to just this one, the syrupy feel would become to cloying for me. (624 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was a little disappointed with this beer. I like Samuel Smith's other fruit beers very much, but this one didn't really do it for me. I found the smell to be extremely unappetizing. The taste wasn't terrible. It's definitely got some strawberry flavor. If you want a Samuel Smith fruit beer, go with Raspberry or Cherry. (322 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is surprisingly lager-like. doesn't ahve any red-titint the way you expect from a fruit beer (especially considering their cherry offering). Smell is a very syrupy sweet, but not to an inorganic extent. Just all very sweet strawberry. Taste is also quite sweet and, unfortunately, does sort of approach an inorganic, flavored type of taste. In fact, it tastes a lot like some sparkling wines (cheaper ones like Andre Cold duck). Not beer-like at all. Mouth is light but not watery and so its easy to drink in that it wont weigh you down. The sweetness is really a bit much, though. (586 characters)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)