Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009)

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

1.95/5  rDev -48.4%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalet. Poured a hazy amber with reddish highlights. Head was ginormous with sticky lacing all around the glass.

S - Sweet and sour strawberries up front followed by...strawberries. Almost a smell similiar to a starwberry wine cooler. This has an attractive scent to it.

T - Straight up sweet strawberry soda. I can't really taste any malts in there. It kind of tastes like a strawberry cough syrup to the end of it.

M - Carbonated like a soda with sweet feeling left in the mouth.

O - I think I'd rather drink a BL lime over this. This actually made my stomach turn a little. I think the smell of this beer might give me a gag reflex. Not my thing, but if somebody wants a strawberry beer...are there many other options?

2.13/5  rDev -43.7%

Bought this beer on the recommendation of a friend. 500 ml bottle poured into a 21oz snifter.

Poured slightly hazy, Dark honey in color. Nice head. Aroma smelled strongly of fresh strawberries; very nice. Unfortunately the taste was god-awful. Very astringent and nasty. I struggled through a few more sips before pouring the rest down the drain.

I can only assume the bottle had been mistreated. My friend has too good a palate to have touted me on this beer if it had tasted like this to him!

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

I had out of the bottle that a friend brought over.
A- It has an opaque brown and red rue. There was some head and lacing.
S- The fruity strawberry scent certainly comes through.
T- Taste like a Belgian beer that had a bunch of strawberry jolly ranchers dropped in. Terrible. Sorry if a lot of people like this, but I am simply not a fan at all.

2.42/5  rDev -36%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

This beer is not like a fine Lindeman's lambic or a carefully constructed fruit beer. This beer is sweet fruity and the taste is simply disjointed for a fruit beer. I would say that a Bartles and James type drink might be more drinkable than this. I expected a lot more from Samuel Smith, and think there is a possibility the bottle I had was shocked during shipment, but there were fundamental things about this beer I would consider changing if this was my effort from my brewery.

2.73/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a clear light amber with a tint of red, has a medium light pink head, and some lacing.

smell is of grain, fruit, and some malt.

taste is sweet, berry, and some malt, ends very sweet.

for a fruit beer it is not that bad, too sweet for my liking but has a decent flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)