Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009)
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought this at Star Liquor in Ashland, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.99.

Pours a clear golden amber color with a very thick long lasting head. Scent is that of stong sweet strawberries. The taste reminds me of a delicious strawberry smoothie in the summer. Very nicely made and blended. I understand that there are some people of there that don't like flavored beers, but if you like fruit beers...this is a must try beer!

Lemke10, Apr 27, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

500ml bottle picked up when i wanted something fruity but was feeling too cheep for a real lambic. there is a bottling code on the bottle, but i dont know how to decipher it. drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass.

A- this one pours out a translucent golden colored body with some minor peach color highlights to it. there is a solid finger of bright white head on top. the head takes its time falling and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- woah, the strawberries come through strong. kind of a one trick pony, i cant really find any of the hops or malt that makes a beer a beer.

T- the taste is once again dominated by the strawberries that i could smell. they remind me strongly of strawberry pez. not really natural tasting like the label states. very sweet. i still cant find any of the characteristics that make beer beer like malt or hops.

M- the body is a solid medium. the alcohol is completely hidden. the carbonation is a little on the high side, but i find that it works well in this case.

O- a total novelty. this really doesnt strike me as a beer at all. i do find myself enjoying it though. i really cant see myself picking it up again anytime soon.

jwinship83, Apr 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

A – Light maple amber. Peach-colored head settles fairly quickly.

S – Fresh, ripe strawberries and cream.

T – Strawberry puree and seltzer. Brown sugar. Light caramel. A mildly tart plant-stem note develops as it warms.

M – Soft with a medium light body. Sweet finish lingers without being overly syrupy.

O – Delicious strawberry character, but not terribly complex. If you liked this, definately try their organic raspberry ale.

vfgccp, Apr 26, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

It is Easter Sunday and I am off tomorrow, affording me the opportunity to try some of the beers that have been in my refrigerator awaiting my having the time to spend with them. I am concentrating on the fruit beers right now, having had cherry beer and cranberry kvass earlier.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic strawberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

It was a very active beer with foam that came out of the neck as soon as I popped the cap. It was not a gusher, but I was quick to move it into the sink so as not to have beer all over the counter. The finger of off-white head settled into wisps pretty quickly. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish amber. Nose was definitely strawberry, but with a slight lemony tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial taste of strawberry bubble gum followed by a wheat-like tang. I hate to say it, but this was waaayyy too sweet for the likes of me. Finish left me with the feeling that I was overdosing on kiddie candy. More? No thanks!

woodychandler, Apr 24, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

I'll have to be honest here, I don't know how much I am going to like this beer. I absolutely love strawberries, but I have never had a strawberry anything that I liked and this goes for Ice Cream, soda, you name it. So with that said, take my review with a grain of salt. Let's give this beer a go.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear pinkish orange color with a small 1/4" head of white foam that may have had a subtle pink hue to it. The bubbles were small and stuck around for about 30 seconds before ending up as a small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after swirling or drinking. A small ring of foam consists on the edge of the glass.

Aroma: The strawberries are the showcased element as all of the Sam Smith fruit beers seem to do, which isn't a bad thing. The strawberries in here are strong, but they aren't coming across as chemical or unnatural, which is my biggest turn-off on strawberry products.

Taste: The strawberries are also the showcased element in the flavor, but they don't beat up your palate like some things do, so there is room left to drink beer too, which is nice. The balance is firmly toward the sweet, and I don't really notice any hops in the cold beer. There is a good bit of light caramel sweetness in this beer that is complimenting the strawberry nicely. There may be a tad of hops for balance in the finish, but the balance is toward the sweetness and the strawberries. Late after the sip, the strawberries slack off and let you taste the malt. The carbonation is adequate for what this beer is, so it keeps the mouthfeel from going watery and making this beer taste like a soda.

Opinion: Well, I must say that for a strawberry product, Sam Smith did a good job with this one. It passes my test. That said, it is still a strawberry product, and I guess my body is just partial to eating the actual strawberries and picking the seeds out of my teeth. This is a good beer, and if strawberry is your thing, by all means, head to the store now. As for me, since I have now tried all three of Sammy's fruit beers, if I buy another one it would be the cherry.

SkeeterHawk, Apr 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, re/orange in color, clear

Smell: strawberries and light toasted malt

Taste: big time strawberries both sweet and tart with a little toasted malt

Mouthfeel: tart and sweet. The sweetness never gets to the cloying level, high carbonation, medium-light body

Overall: This one is a very good fruit beer that screams strawberries. It is both tart and sweet. A great dessert beer, the alcohol is not noticeable. I could have several.

tigg924, Apr 15, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Somehow not quite as appetizing-looking as its cherry and raspberry counterparts, but attractive enough, this pours a clouded orange with a reddish shade, and a cap that's not the pink color of its counterparts, just a mildly dirty shade of white.

This is an intensely aromatic beer, and you can pop the cap and have the bottle two feet away from your nose and still be surrounded in strawberry. Closer inspection brings a more general fruit tartness, a crisp hoppy tug like that of a well-made American pale ale, and breezy fruit sugar.

Drinks as well as the cherry and raspberry versions of this series, although the taste is less forward, which is probably just the nature of the fruit we're dealing with. As with those others, there's that great graham-cracker crust and cream kind of dessert element that truly impresses, a comforting cradle for the juicy star of the show. Equally tart, sweet, malty and yeasty (the latter more evident here than in the other fruit versions), I find little to criticize and much to sink into and simply enjoy. Light young berry skin tartness/sourness in the finish, with a lingering sweetness.

Feel is soft and creamy, a largely caressing texture that carries just enough carbonation to bring life into the experience.

I never expected to like these Samuel Smith's fruit beers as much as I do, but there's no denying it: they're excellent. They're unique, they're full of flavor, and they also belong in a small group of fruit beers (excluding lambics) that actually still resemble beer and not soda or wine coolers. I'm a fan.

Metalmonk, Mar 15, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

Poured a redish-amber with a small fizzy white head that was mostly diminishing and had fair lacing. The aroma was of sweet cereal malts, a sweet yeast and an overwhelming scent of strawberry's. It tasted mildly sweet with notes of sweet malts and strawberry's in the beginning and finished with a fizzy explosion of strawberry's on the palate that lasted an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was suprisingly light in body and syrupy yet watery in texture. Overall and exceptional fruit ale.

KajII, Mar 09, 2011

I was mildly skeptical of this ale's fruity properties until I popped the cap and the tremendous aroma of strawberries filled my kitchen. I poured the dark orange ale into my tall pils glass and sampled the ale...well, it wasn't really tasting like ale...it was strawberry puree with a slight tartness to it. The taste was so much strawberry that I missed the ale until it warmed up, but the combination was so exciting.

The experience of blending fruit in a blender for pile filling or mixed drink special would normally achieve the same results as the ale in my glass. I cannot remember anything in beer like this.

Nuixx, Feb 27, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a nice red orange color with a trace of fizzy head that does not cling. The aroma is strong with malt and strawberry... But the mixture is not the beat combination. The taste starts very sweet of strawberry and then switches to malty sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is very fizzy and kind of dry... Almost soda-like. Overall and interesting beer and worth a try sometime if you don't have to buy the entire bottle.

csiewert, Jan 31, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Strawberry beer? Hm... Poured it into a pint glass.

A - A nice, 1-finger head lays on top of a murky, bronze body. Color is a bit-off putting, but there's a fantastic amount of carbonation feeding the head for great retention. Also resulting is a sticky lacing ringing down the glass.

S - Yeasty scents and strawberries galore. A bit sugary... It smells like a fruit preserve more than anything else.

T - Seriously... Strawberries on top of strawberries. There's maybe a bit of malty grains on the side. This hardly tastes like a beer to me. Follows up with an artificial sweetness of sorts... egh.

M - A consistency that slides off of the tongue with a real spot-on carbonation. Finish is remarkably smooth.

D - I don't know... Finishing the bottle was enough for me. I won't go looking for it again.

Overall/notes - This one is tough for me to judge. It does what it wants to, I guess, but I prefer a fruit beer to not overwhelm me. That's the main problem I had here. The strawberries absolutely dominated any other flavor. Good for fans of strawberry jam, I guess.

bbkd3b, Dec 31, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Unlike the raspberry, this SS fruit beer is pretty normal looking; somewhat hazy gold with a nice fluffy white head. Very nice aroma... the strawberry has a subtlety to it--the nose isn't completely dominated by fruit. It smells like real fruit. Spot-on flavor as well. I love that it is not too sweet, and nowhere near cloying. I wouldn't object to more tartness, but this is quite drinkable as it is.

Very good fruit beer.

allengarvin, Dec 31, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Very light brown head of thick bubbles that leave rings of lace as it recedes down the glass. Color of 16 on the SRM beer color chart. Strawberry smell is unmistakable, lots of it along with slight lime and banana. Flavor is strawberry, cherry, lime, banana, and kiwi. Nice body in my mouth. Maybe just a little to sweet and fruity for everyday drinking, but good with desert, especially strawberry shortcake and pie.

beerprovedwright, Dec 29, 2010

Appearance has a reddish orange amber tint with a crisp healthy head and fair lace. Smell of mainly strawberries, malt in the back and some yeast. Taste of the sweet strawberries in front of a malt backbone ending with a light tangy hoppy note. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Not overly fruity sweet, but just enough to enjoy it for what it is.

Bookseeb, Dec 12, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear peach color with just a hint of a reddish tinge; the billowy cap fades rather quickly without leaving much lacing behind

Smell: Smells a bit like a scone with strawberry jam and devonshire cream; then again, it also smells like strawberry jello

Taste: Strawberry flavors dominate throughout and, while this is a sweet beer, it avoids becoming too cloying and has a nice subtle undertone of toffee

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not something I would be likely to seek out again, but definitely not obnoxious

brentk56, Dec 07, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14%

This is probably my least favorite of the Sam Smith fruit beers. Amber color, not red, but then again strawberries don't really contribute that much red coloring. Strawberry jam aroma. In the taste, some strawberry with a little medicinal tartness. I don't think the strawberry plays as well with the base beer as the cherries and raspberries do in their respective editions. Hyper-carbonated and sticky on the palate.

I could drink it again, paired with the right dessert, but otherwise I'd probably reach for the raspberry or cherry ahead of it.

Patrick999, Nov 19, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A: A nice looking copper color with a good two finger head.

S: Strawberries, Strawberries, Strawberries. Smells a little bit like a wine cooler.

T: Tastes like strawberries. My wife took a drink and said she liked it because it didn't take like beer. Very sweet. Not enough bitter for me.

M: Syrupy and very rich.

D: Might be better in the wintertime. Will try this one again in the summer.

mbrown26, Nov 13, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance> I must say that I'm a bit impressed. This looks every bit as a fruit beer should. It's got a beautiful rosy glow, medium liveliness. Big white head that dissipates slowly and thick lacing. It has me even wanting to try it... and while I try to review them fairly for the style, I'm not a big fan of the style in general.

Smell> Leads with the fresh cut strawberry nose, but also has grain and alcohol.

Taste>Also, must claim that I'm impressed. This is the second fruit beer that didn't make me want to hurl just a little. While it's sweeter than I prefer to drink, it's great for it's style. There is a nice subtle complexity to the beer, where it goes through moments of sweetness, and tartness to a crisp lageriness, and then to a mellow hang of strawberries.

Mouf> Average. Nuffin fancy.

Drink> Not everyday, and not many, but sure.

1759Girl, Nov 10, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

16.9 oz bottle at the Beer Engine.  Poured into a pint glass.

Samuel Smith has teamed up with the Melbourne Brothers to create these organic fruit beers.  They're basically simple, pale beers with little hops and fruit juice added.  The beer looks nice in the pint glass - it's orange and amber with a red hue, not an artificial pink or red.  It has a beautiful head and wonderful lace is left behind.  The beer is cloudy, either due to the fruit juice or because it's unfiltered, but either way we're off to a good start.

The smell is simple and straightforward and I bet you can guess what it smells like - yep, strawberries!  For the most part, that is all, but there's a touch of cotton candy as well.  The beer is sweet but not too sweet in the nose.

The taste follows with juicy and sweet strawberries and a kiss of sweet malt.  A touch of cotton candy and maybe some sweet melon as well.  It's much more of a foo-foo, pinky-up drink that some fruit beers, but it never looses sight of being a beer.

The body is lightly sticky but good, and features nice carbonation and a medium body. Not too sparkling but creamy from the denser base beer.  It's quite nice, and comparisons to strawberry whipped cream aren't out of the question.  A good fruity beer and probably the best in the series as the raspberry wasn't great but the cherry was.  This is sweet and would go nicely with some chocolate for dessert.  A great one from Tadcaster!

jampics2, Oct 11, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S- Served from a chilled 1Pt 2.7 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Kind of a red-ish golden color with yellow undertones. Has about a half a fingers worth of white head. Not much lacing on the brim of the glass.

S- Smells very very sweet. Strawberry aroma with a faint smell of barley and wheat.

T- Very powerful sweet strawberry taste with hints of wheat and barley aftertaste.

M- Moderate carbonation, moderate bodied, fruit ale.

D- Easy to drink, however very powerful sweet flavor. Not easy to drink bottle after bottle. This beer is more of a desert rather then a beer.

HUXC, Oct 09, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Poured into Flute very dark red, auburn colour. Nice bubbly head that dissipated slowly, and lingered for a while. Very cloudy not clear at all.

S- Very heavy strawberry smell, but still smells like beer. Also a hint of Vanilla smell, and almost a bit of peach.

T- Tastes like Strawberry beer, there is really not much else flavour there. It tastes just like a bland ale with a heavy strawberry flavour. It's very light, with the Vanilla and Peach flavour coming through.

D- Very drinkable, however not a beer that I could drink all the time. A very nice special beer.

case4816, Oct 02, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a snifter. Somewhat hazy, pink-lemonade body with a thin white head on top. Hints of lacing, but not too much. The body really has a nice color to it.

Lots of sweet strawberry juice on the nose. Pear and other light fruits as well. This definitely smells like strawberry. Kind of one dimensional, but what they've got is good.

The taste is definitely interesting. I could see people going both ways on this one. Kind of tastes like strawberry juice poured into a light ale. Lots of strawberries, light, sweet malt and a touch of bitterness. Some tartness, but mostly sweet.

Body is pretty good, but the carbonation seems a bit sharp, giving it almost a fruit juice spritzer like quality. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but not watery. Kind of refreshing.

Drinkability is good. Samuel Smith's definitely delivers on the strawberry flavor, but this beer leaves me wondering if there is a better way to integrate the strawberry flavor. It's a tough fruit to work with, so I give them props for even trying. Overall, if you're a big strawberry fan or want a beer that is more juice like then give this a try.

sisuspeed, Sep 23, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass, revealing a muddled and cloudy rose body under an active but thin white head. Very pretty, very delicate. I can smell the strawberries from feet away. Smells like Smuckers strawberry jam. Guess that's what I'd look for in a beer featuring strawberries.

Tastes light, sweet, strawberry-y and spritz-y. Slightest flavor of the ale comes through at the end, which is commendable in its bread-like character. Honestly, it tastes like I've taken a slice of fresh-baked white bread and absolutely drowned it in strawberry jam, then chased it with a dry champagne. I have to say I like that. Mouthfeel is vivacious with a tiny pelting carbonation livening up an otherwise light and slightly dry body. Very refreshing, very drinkable.

With a nod to the natural flavors, it's tough to make a beer more "fruit" than this. I applaud the way it came out.

abuliarose, Sep 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Loved the cherry ale so much I grabbed a 550ml of this at my Monroeville Giant Eagle.

A - Pours a nice orange yellowish color with a mild ruby red. Very little head so this beer may be kind of old.

S - Straight up Strawberries. Semi sweet and delicious. Maybe a mild wheat backbone but mostly strawberry.

T - Semi bitter yet candy like strawberry. Almost like a juice. Really no wheat or beer character. Kind of boring but it is drinkable. Torn between flavor and complexity.

M - Very like a drinkable.

D - I love the cherry the best but this comes in a close second. Nice smooth taste with little bitterness and full flavor that's not cloying but no real second dimension. Pretty much the best strawberry beer I had but I guess I don't really love them that much. Good to try once!

DrDemento456, Aug 24, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with an white head. The aroma is strawberry nothing else. The flavor is the same as the aroma. I get a lot of strawberry notes but nothing else. The beer is just as fruity as the Samuel Smith Organic Raspberry, but doesn't seem to be as well executed. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Aug 11, 2010
Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)