Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

2.08/5  rDev -45%

A - Poured from a bottle into a chalet. Poured a hazy amber with reddish highlights. Head was ginormous with sticky lacing all around the glass.

S - Sweet and sour strawberries up front followed by...strawberries. Almost a smell similiar to a starwberry wine cooler. This has an attractive scent to it.

T - Straight up sweet strawberry soda. I can't really taste any malts in there. It kind of tastes like a strawberry cough syrup to the end of it.

M - Carbonated like a soda with sweet feeling left in the mouth.

O - I think I'd rather drink a BL lime over this. This actually made my stomach turn a little. I think the smell of this beer might give me a gag reflex. Not my thing, but if somebody wants a strawberry beer...are there many other options?

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From Notes: Had this beer with salmon. Poured from bottle into a stem glass.

Appearance: Nice red color, not blood red but still an artificial color.

Aroma: Cool aid and or air freshener strawberry, maybe a hint of real fruit somewhere. Carbonation is crazy on this beer it looks a lot like some sort of ginger ale.

Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel and highly carbonated.
Taste: Very sweet, kind of pleasing…… Ok, this beer tastes surprisingly good and it pairs well with fish.

Overall: I was completely surprised with this fruit beer. I will buy this again sometime.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: As you might expect, the strawberries take center stage in the aroma. A powerful scent.

T: Like the smell, the taste was dominated by strawberries, but there was a hint of malt in this as well. Not exactly a complex beer, but pretty tasty nonetheless.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: This is a thoroughly enjoyable beer. If you like strawberries check it out.

4.41/5  rDev +16.7%

From the pour, we see that it is a hazy shade of orange. The head still has not subsided, and it's leaving lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is of strawberry preserves. This is a very strong and good aroma. Taste is berries up front. I got a slightly sour note, but it was quick and went away. Overall I'd give this beer another go around. Very good.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

A- a hazy bright orange with a small head and lace on the glass.

S- tons of strawberry, jam, some sour notes, very sugary.

T- the strawberries really come through, but it is more of a strawberry syrup, I would prefer a natural strawberry, but it is still nice. It is very sweet, but a nice dose of tartness at the end balances it out.

O- A nice change up, not something I would gravitate to, but a good sweet alternative.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

English pint sized bottle (no date) poured into a Tulip stout glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy orange-copper beer with a hint of strawberry juice color when you pour it - that tiny bit of pink/orange/yellow that you see with that type of juice. The beer had a thin white skin of foam across the top, with a few tiny strands of persistent lacing here and there.

Smell: Definite strawberry - like a strawberry lifesaver hard candy. It's quite sweet and concentrated, and comes across as a little bit artificial. It's not that fresh strawberry fruit smell, but there is no mistaking what's in this beer from that smell.

Taste: Strawberry again. It is much like drinking a glass of strawberry juice. If there is beer in there, it's very well hidden. You get the strawberry up front, then more sweetness in the middle (some caramel type malt flavors) along with more strawberry, and then some sour twang at the end. As it warms up the caramel in the middle becomes more notable and some buttery flavors come out too finally making you think that there is a beer in here. The sweetness is not cloying, but it is still a very lopsided flavor profile beer. But maybe that's the point.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation for an English ale - sticky and a little chewy, and, definitely juice-like.

Overall / Drinkability: I think one has to be in the mood for this beer. This beer truly is a good blend of strawberry juice and beer, but the flavor is lopsided. You really have to like strawberries to like this beer in my opinion. The beer is there for the alcohol and the carbonation, and the color and the head - but that's where it ends. Wider flavor profile when it's near room temperature, but still, it's strawberry juice in beer, not beer brewed with strawberries and that's an important distinction in my opinion. So an interesting flavor beer, but not something I'm really crazy about or I would pick up again.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pint glass.

This pours an amber color with a slightly off white head, a very slight hint of pink. The smell is of strawberries, with a malts. The taste is okay, its not very tart, so you get mostly the sweetness of strawberries with a little hop bite at the end, also with the strawberries there is a little beer malt which is kind of a different combination. This was a pretty good beer, my lady friend liked it, but I think their tart raspberry beer is far better (although oddly most everyone else I talked to seems to prefer this).

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

1pint 2.7 oz. bottle from "Lifesource", Salem. $5.95 Nice slightly hazy amber colured ale..small slightly off white head. Very strawberry nose, but for me although pleasing it comes out more like a good quality Strawberry Jam than fresh strawberries. Better more nuanced strawberry taste that melds very well with the caramel type malts..the two work surprisingly well. Nice on the tongue..great carbonatin levels lend to drinkability. Overall a very nice drinkable fruit beer..that has loads of fruit but is not sickeningly sweet.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

My girlfriend bought this beer over a shopping impulse after seeing "strawberry juice" on it, so we gave it a try. She doesn't like beers that much, but she liked this one because it doesn't taste like beer at all! ...And I don't know if that's a plus.

A: Hazy amber color, with a thick foamy head about an inch tall that dissipates to a thin lace and then disappears.

S: Strawberries all over the nose. Honestly, I can't smell a thing that isn't strawberry yoghurt and tartiness.

T: Too much strawberry for me, it tastes straightforward like a strawberry soda, including the light carbonation. According to my girlfriend, it tastes like strawberry soda mixed with the lightest beer out there. You can taste a little hint of beer at the end, but I'm not sure if it's yeast, malt or wheat because of the faint taste.

M: Soda-ish, with the carbonation and the strong strawberry flavor. I can't think of anything more appropriate than that of a soda mouthfeel here.

Overall, a beer for people who doesn't like beer. My girlfriend liked it because the bitterness of the hops is very well hidden in this beer, and it doesn't taste much like beer at all! I didn't liked it because of the strong strawberry flavor it has, it's just too much for me. I prefer a strong chocolatey stout over this any time.

I didn't liked it, but she did! so 3.5 for effort (and because we finally found a beer for her)

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks.

The pours a pretty cool looking redish pink color, it has a decent off white head. The smell is pretty strong with fermented sweet strawberry on the nose. Some basic sugars on the nose and not much else. The taste is sweet and just a little bit tart with strawberry. The mouthfeel is light but very flavorful. This beer makes a very good desert beer. Goes very well with creme brûlée. Enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Strawberry colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma and taste are sweet strawberries.Taste like melted Breyer's strawberry ice cream.This is definetly more suited for late spring and summer.I can see myself buying this again.I would recommend if you like sweeter fruit beers.

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)