Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 449 | Reviews: 149
3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pint glass.

This pours an amber color with a slightly off white head, a very slight hint of pink. The smell is of strawberries, with a malts. The taste is okay, its not very tart, so you get mostly the sweetness of strawberries with a little hop bite at the end, also with the strawberries there is a little beer malt which is kind of a different combination. This was a pretty good beer, my lady friend liked it, but I think their tart raspberry beer is far better (although oddly most everyone else I talked to seems to prefer this).

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

1pint 2.7 oz. bottle from "Lifesource", Salem. $5.95 Nice slightly hazy amber colured ale..small slightly off white head. Very strawberry nose, but for me although pleasing it comes out more like a good quality Strawberry Jam than fresh strawberries. Better more nuanced strawberry taste that melds very well with the caramel type malts..the two work surprisingly well. Nice on the tongue..great carbonatin levels lend to drinkability. Overall a very nice drinkable fruit beer..that has loads of fruit but is not sickeningly sweet.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

My girlfriend bought this beer over a shopping impulse after seeing "strawberry juice" on it, so we gave it a try. She doesn't like beers that much, but she liked this one because it doesn't taste like beer at all! ...And I don't know if that's a plus.

A: Hazy amber color, with a thick foamy head about an inch tall that dissipates to a thin lace and then disappears.

S: Strawberries all over the nose. Honestly, I can't smell a thing that isn't strawberry yoghurt and tartiness.

T: Too much strawberry for me, it tastes straightforward like a strawberry soda, including the light carbonation. According to my girlfriend, it tastes like strawberry soda mixed with the lightest beer out there. You can taste a little hint of beer at the end, but I'm not sure if it's yeast, malt or wheat because of the faint taste.

M: Soda-ish, with the carbonation and the strong strawberry flavor. I can't think of anything more appropriate than that of a soda mouthfeel here.

Overall, a beer for people who doesn't like beer. My girlfriend liked it because the bitterness of the hops is very well hidden in this beer, and it doesn't taste much like beer at all! I didn't liked it because of the strong strawberry flavor it has, it's just too much for me. I prefer a strong chocolatey stout over this any time.

I didn't liked it, but she did! so 3.5 for effort (and because we finally found a beer for her)

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%

550ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-red with a thin off-white head that dissipates to a slight haze.
S - Uhhh....strawberries. I'm really getting a strawberry yogurt thing here, lots of strawberries, a bit of tartness, perhaps just a whiff of sweet cereal grain.
T - Yeah, that is definitely a strawberry beer! Tastes a lot like a strawberry candy, someone below me said Pez and that sounds about right. Strawberry Pez and sweet cereal grains. Not really my thing, but I guess if you're a strawberry fan this would be right up your alley.
M - Syrupy, with a medium mouth-feel and moderate carbonation.
O - Borderline novelty beer for me, just way too sweet and fruity. No thanks.

The pours a pretty cool looking redish pink color, it has a decent off white head. The smell is pretty strong with fermented sweet strawberry on the nose. Some basic sugars on the nose and not much else. The taste is sweet and just a little bit tart with strawberry. The mouthfeel is light but very flavorful. This beer makes a very good desert beer. Goes very well with creme brûlée. Enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Strawberry colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma and taste are sweet strawberries.Taste like melted Breyer's strawberry ice cream.This is definetly more suited for late spring and summer.I can see myself buying this again.I would recommend if you like sweeter fruit beers.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%

Sam'l Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Ale pours a murky, deep honey-colored yellow with little to no head. The beer smells of strawberries -- overwhelming strawberries. It tastes of strawberries, too, and apricots. Organic Strawberry Ale is carbonated, but also a bit syrupy. It's definitely not sessionable, but it's not cloyingly sweet, either. It's a contrast, and very good for the style. Think hot weather and a change of pace, and you'll be on the right path.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a Chimay glass. Pours a rosé color, a pink-gold with minimal white head that quickly dissipates.

Definite strawberry, hints of honey, malt, and bits of citrus. Very floral, with undertones of apple.

Sweet strawberry, grape, and apricot start it out, mostly sweet and slightly tart, fairly malty with no bitterness to finish.

Light bodied, this tastes best cool to cold. Becomes maltier as it warms.

I'm not a big fan of real sweet fruit beers like this, but Sam Smith makes a great product, and if I've got to drink a strawberry beer, this is the one.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A reddish orange with a thick off white colored head.

S: Smells like a breakfast cereal with berries. Not the greatest beer aroma, but pleasant and very up front.

T: More of the breakfast cereal in the flavor. Some nice malt flavor that is overpowered by a nice strawberry creaminess.

M: Very smooth and medium bodied. Very good mouthfeel to this beer.

O: Typically don't like the fruity beers, but this one is good. A little strong, but the flavor is nice.

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance - Hazy amber body with an offwhite head.

Smell - Strawberry milk made with Nesquik. And a bit of caramel.

Taste - Tastes great. Light and refreshing flavor. Plenty of sweetness, but not overdone or artificial tasting. Think of it as a lambic and it's great.

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel. Light, carbonated well, refreshing, and clean.

Overall Drinkability - Great beer. Highly recommended. Great for a hot summer day. Would make for some really interesting food pairings too.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought this at Star Liquor in Ashland, WI in Spring 2011 for $5.99.

Pours a clear golden amber color with a very thick long lasting head. Scent is that of stong sweet strawberries. The taste reminds me of a delicious strawberry smoothie in the summer. Very nicely made and blended. I understand that there are some people of there that don't like flavored beers, but if you like fruit beers...this is a must try beer!

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

500ml bottle picked up when i wanted something fruity but was feeling too cheep for a real lambic. there is a bottling code on the bottle, but i dont know how to decipher it. drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass.

A- this one pours out a translucent golden colored body with some minor peach color highlights to it. there is a solid finger of bright white head on top. the head takes its time falling and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- woah, the strawberries come through strong. kind of a one trick pony, i cant really find any of the hops or malt that makes a beer a beer.

T- the taste is once again dominated by the strawberries that i could smell. they remind me strongly of strawberry pez. not really natural tasting like the label states. very sweet. i still cant find any of the characteristics that make beer beer like malt or hops.

M- the body is a solid medium. the alcohol is completely hidden. the carbonation is a little on the high side, but i find that it works well in this case.

O- a total novelty. this really doesnt strike me as a beer at all. i do find myself enjoying it though. i really cant see myself picking it up again anytime soon.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

A – Light maple amber. Peach-colored head settles fairly quickly.

S – Fresh, ripe strawberries and cream.

T – Strawberry puree and seltzer. Brown sugar. Light caramel. A mildly tart plant-stem note develops as it warms.

M – Soft with a medium light body. Sweet finish lingers without being overly syrupy.

O – Delicious strawberry character, but not terribly complex. If you liked this, definately try their organic raspberry ale.

2.92/5  rDev -23%

It is Easter Sunday and I am off tomorrow, affording me the opportunity to try some of the beers that have been in my refrigerator awaiting my having the time to spend with them. I am concentrating on the fruit beers right now, having had cherry beer and cranberry kvass earlier.

From the bottle: "Brewed at Melbourn Bros ancient brewery in Stamford, Lincolnshire and blended and bottled as Samuel Smith's Brewery, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire."; "Handcrafted at Melbourn Bros' tiny brewery set in a time warp in Stamford using the old manually operated brewing equipment. Finest organically grown barley and wheat are used to create a complex ale which, having undergone primary and secondary fermentation with different yeasts and extended maturation, is taken to Samuel Smith's small, independent British brewery in Tadcaster. There it is blended with pure organic strawberry fruit juice and a previously cellared organic brew - creating an unparalleled fruit ale. The smooth distinctive character of the matured ale serves as the perfect counterpart to the pure organic fruit juice."

It was a very active beer with foam that came out of the neck as soon as I popped the cap. It was not a gusher, but I was quick to move it into the sink so as not to have beer all over the counter. The finger of off-white head settled into wisps pretty quickly. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish amber. Nose was definitely strawberry, but with a slight lemony tang. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial taste of strawberry bubble gum followed by a wheat-like tang. I hate to say it, but this was waaayyy too sweet for the likes of me. Finish left me with the feeling that I was overdosing on kiddie candy. More? No thanks!

3.79/5  rDev 0%

I'll have to be honest here, I don't know how much I am going to like this beer. I absolutely love strawberries, but I have never had a strawberry anything that I liked and this goes for Ice Cream, soda, you name it. So with that said, take my review with a grain of salt. Let's give this beer a go.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear pinkish orange color with a small 1/4" head of white foam that may have had a subtle pink hue to it. The bubbles were small and stuck around for about 30 seconds before ending up as a small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after swirling or drinking. A small ring of foam consists on the edge of the glass.

Aroma: The strawberries are the showcased element as all of the Sam Smith fruit beers seem to do, which isn't a bad thing. The strawberries in here are strong, but they aren't coming across as chemical or unnatural, which is my biggest turn-off on strawberry products.

Taste: The strawberries are also the showcased element in the flavor, but they don't beat up your palate like some things do, so there is room left to drink beer too, which is nice. The balance is firmly toward the sweet, and I don't really notice any hops in the cold beer. There is a good bit of light caramel sweetness in this beer that is complimenting the strawberry nicely. There may be a tad of hops for balance in the finish, but the balance is toward the sweetness and the strawberries. Late after the sip, the strawberries slack off and let you taste the malt. The carbonation is adequate for what this beer is, so it keeps the mouthfeel from going watery and making this beer taste like a soda.

Opinion: Well, I must say that for a strawberry product, Sam Smith did a good job with this one. It passes my test. That said, it is still a strawberry product, and I guess my body is just partial to eating the actual strawberries and picking the seeds out of my teeth. This is a good beer, and if strawberry is your thing, by all means, head to the store now. As for me, since I have now tried all three of Sammy's fruit beers, if I buy another one it would be the cherry.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, re/orange in color, clear

Smell: strawberries and light toasted malt

Taste: big time strawberries both sweet and tart with a little toasted malt

Mouthfeel: tart and sweet. The sweetness never gets to the cloying level, high carbonation, medium-light body

Overall: This one is a very good fruit beer that screams strawberries. It is both tart and sweet. A great dessert beer, the alcohol is not noticeable. I could have several.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Somehow not quite as appetizing-looking as its cherry and raspberry counterparts, but attractive enough, this pours a clouded orange with a reddish shade, and a cap that's not the pink color of its counterparts, just a mildly dirty shade of white.

This is an intensely aromatic beer, and you can pop the cap and have the bottle two feet away from your nose and still be surrounded in strawberry. Closer inspection brings a more general fruit tartness, a crisp hoppy tug like that of a well-made American pale ale, and breezy fruit sugar.

Drinks as well as the cherry and raspberry versions of this series, although the taste is less forward, which is probably just the nature of the fruit we're dealing with. As with those others, there's that great graham-cracker crust and cream kind of dessert element that truly impresses, a comforting cradle for the juicy star of the show. Equally tart, sweet, malty and yeasty (the latter more evident here than in the other fruit versions), I find little to criticize and much to sink into and simply enjoy. Light young berry skin tartness/sourness in the finish, with a lingering sweetness.

Feel is soft and creamy, a largely caressing texture that carries just enough carbonation to bring life into the experience.

I never expected to like these Samuel Smith's fruit beers as much as I do, but there's no denying it: they're excellent. They're unique, they're full of flavor, and they also belong in a small group of fruit beers (excluding lambics) that actually still resemble beer and not soda or wine coolers. I'm a fan.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

Poured a redish-amber with a small fizzy white head that was mostly diminishing and had fair lacing. The aroma was of sweet cereal malts, a sweet yeast and an overwhelming scent of strawberry's. It tasted mildly sweet with notes of sweet malts and strawberry's in the beginning and finished with a fizzy explosion of strawberry's on the palate that lasted an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was suprisingly light in body and syrupy yet watery in texture. Overall and exceptional fruit ale.

I was mildly skeptical of this ale's fruity properties until I popped the cap and the tremendous aroma of strawberries filled my kitchen. I poured the dark orange ale into my tall pils glass and sampled the ale...well, it wasn't really tasting like ale...it was strawberry puree with a slight tartness to it. The taste was so much strawberry that I missed the ale until it warmed up, but the combination was so exciting.

The experience of blending fruit in a blender for pile filling or mixed drink special would normally achieve the same results as the ale in my glass. I cannot remember anything in beer like this.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer pours a nice red orange color with a trace of fizzy head that does not cling. The aroma is strong with malt and strawberry... But the mixture is not the beat combination. The taste starts very sweet of strawberry and then switches to malty sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is very fizzy and kind of dry... Almost soda-like. Overall and interesting beer and worth a try sometime if you don't have to buy the entire bottle.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Strawberry beer? Hm... Poured it into a pint glass.

A - A nice, 1-finger head lays on top of a murky, bronze body. Color is a bit-off putting, but there's a fantastic amount of carbonation feeding the head for great retention. Also resulting is a sticky lacing ringing down the glass.

S - Yeasty scents and strawberries galore. A bit sugary... It smells like a fruit preserve more than anything else.

T - Seriously... Strawberries on top of strawberries. There's maybe a bit of malty grains on the side. This hardly tastes like a beer to me. Follows up with an artificial sweetness of sorts... egh.

M - A consistency that slides off of the tongue with a real spot-on carbonation. Finish is remarkably smooth.

D - I don't know... Finishing the bottle was enough for me. I won't go looking for it again.

Overall/notes - This one is tough for me to judge. It does what it wants to, I guess, but I prefer a fruit beer to not overwhelm me. That's the main problem I had here. The strawberries absolutely dominated any other flavor. Good for fans of strawberry jam, I guess.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Unlike the raspberry, this SS fruit beer is pretty normal looking; somewhat hazy gold with a nice fluffy white head. Very nice aroma... the strawberry has a subtlety to it--the nose isn't completely dominated by fruit. It smells like real fruit. Spot-on flavor as well. I love that it is not too sweet, and nowhere near cloying. I wouldn't object to more tartness, but this is quite drinkable as it is.

Very good fruit beer.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Very light brown head of thick bubbles that leave rings of lace as it recedes down the glass. Color of 16 on the SRM beer color chart. Strawberry smell is unmistakable, lots of it along with slight lime and banana. Flavor is strawberry, cherry, lime, banana, and kiwi. Nice body in my mouth. Maybe just a little to sweet and fruity for everyday drinking, but good with desert, especially strawberry shortcake and pie.

Appearance has a reddish orange amber tint with a crisp healthy head and fair lace. Smell of mainly strawberries, malt in the back and some yeast. Taste of the sweet strawberries in front of a malt backbone ending with a light tangy hoppy note. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Not overly fruity sweet, but just enough to enjoy it for what it is.

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear peach color with just a hint of a reddish tinge; the billowy cap fades rather quickly without leaving much lacing behind

Smell: Smells a bit like a scone with strawberry jam and devonshire cream; then again, it also smells like strawberry jello

Taste: Strawberry flavors dominate throughout and, while this is a sweet beer, it avoids becoming too cloying and has a nice subtle undertone of toffee

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not something I would be likely to seek out again, but definitely not obnoxious

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)