Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit BeerSamuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 01-24-2009

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 550ml dark brown bottle into a clear pint glass.

A-Pours a medium copper hue with a two finger off white head that leaves modest lacing on the glass.

S-Fresh, sweet, juicy strawberries are what the aroma is all about. Very nice.

T-Nice balance of strawberry with some mild hop bitterness and pale malt sweetness. Fruity and festive. Tastes like a good pale ale with strawberry juice.

M-Very smooth and well carbonated. Feels too good to be beer.

D-I like these fruit beers. And, this is organic to boot. Well done, by my favorite brewer across the pond.

Enjoyed this with my son who favors wine coolers and other malt like beer beverages. There is a definite place for these type of beers not enjoyed as much by the mainstream. Marked drinkability downward due to cost.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a Brooklyn pint glass. I love the design of pretty much all Samuel Smith's bottles.

A - Pours a nice dark copper, was expecting it to be red, surprising. Head dissipates quickly and leaves a thin lace.

S - That's strawberries alright, not a hint of beer. Doesn't smell "manufactured" which is a plus.

T - Strawberries. Not as acidic as some of it's brethren which is also a plus. Still quite tart. Real strawberry fruit juice is used and you can tell the difference. USDA certified organic.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is not overpowering.

D - A little two sweet to have more then one, but that generally applies to the style. I would have no trouble putting down a pint with a nice turkey dinner. Which I would recommend, as this gets a little too sweet to drink on its own.

All in all this is an exceptional fruit beer. I can see this turning non beer fans onto beer, it has great crossover appeal.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a copperish orange color with light red highlights, producing a small, fizzly white head that lasts just a little while and leaves little lacing.

Obvious aroma of strawberries, not much else to be found. A little sweet but pleasing overall.

Taste is again sweet starwberries, this time with subtle notes of honey and malt. Just a little too sweet to be overly enjoyable for long but not too bad.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Good for a fruit beer, but personally, this one didn't seem to be pulled of quite as well as their raspberry. This one was a little sweeter and although I enjoyed it in the beginning, it became a bit much after a while. I wouldn't care to sit through a whole bottle of this myself.

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

Thanks again to Market of Choice for keeping this beer in stock, for my girlfriend. I tried a few sips of this beer just to get a taste for it. I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, so i tried to be open minded when trying it.

There is a dark amber/berry color to this beer. The smell of strawberries is very potent throughout. It tasted like strawberry, honey, and possibly raspberry. My girlfriend likes it because it's "Organic" and she loves strawberry. I wasn't too impressed with this beer compared to other sammy Smith's. Give me an Oatmeal Stout any day over this beer.

This beer pours a golden honey color that is tinted slightly pink/red and is hazy. There is one finger of head that is off white and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

As I pour I get the wonderful aroma of strawberries, sticking my nose in the glass I pick up this fresh fruit upfront and then some malt and a hint of earthiness, perhaps from some hops. Overall a fruity and inviting aroma that has a bit of tartness and is not at all too sweet.

Taste is not exactly what I expected. It starts with fruit juice (all strawberry here) but quickly transitions into a lite malt and UK pale ale flavor, including some hop bitterness. Toward the finish there is a mild tartness and then a long, lingering strawberry flavor. I'd say this lingering finish is the best part of the taste profile, it tastes fresh and is not sticky or overly sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation.

Overall this an interesting and quite good fruit beer. It is not exactly something I would drink regularly, usually I go for a saison or hefeweizen in the summer, but this is something different. For a fruit beer it still retains that beer character of malt and hops, but manages to do so while including a generous fruit presence and not being cloyingly sweet. I would drink this again.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light copper color with red highlights. Big rocky off-white head; decent lacing.

Smell: Smells like strawberry candy. And a bit of fresh greens too.

Taste: Seriously tastes like strawberries and their stems. Actually maybe a bit more like that hard strawberry candy than real strawberries. Very sweet. I can't taste anything else in it.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and a bit fluffy. Light but everpresent carbonation.

Drinkability: If you like the flavor this would probably be good, but it is just so incredibly sweet.

More like candy than a beer. Kinda weird.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

When I saw this at my local I thouht the only other Strawbeery brew I've sampled was Melbourn Bros, and a I continued to read the labeled this one is still brewed a Melbourn Bros just it's blended and bottled and Sammy Smith's plant. Appears a brilliant copper amber hue with a big off white tan head forms thick with sturdy flowingcarbonatin. Head sticks around for ahile leaving nice chunky scattred lacing clinging to my La Fin du Monde chalice. Aromatics explode like fresh strawberr jam as soon as I cracked the 550 ml bottle. Smells and tastes like a dessert beer, no real hop nose or breadiness just strawberry flowing fruitines. Flavor is solid not toothache sweet but it would best be served after dinner with a dessert. A mild earthiness and mineral water tone appeas in the finish along with the strawberry tartness going on...nicely balanced experince that I don't get from many fruit infused brews. Mouthfeel is medium bodied carbonation going strong but not overly done. Drinkability overall as stated is better in small portions and for the price I can see why, definitely would go over great with the ladies buy one for grandma on Mother's Day.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I was mildly skeptical of this ale's fruity properties until I popped the cap and the tremendous aroma of strawberries filled my kitchen. I poured the dark orange ale into my tall pils glass and sampled the ale...well, it wasn't really tasting like ale...it was strawberry puree with a slight tartness to it. The taste was so much strawberry that I missed the ale until it warmed up, but the combination was so exciting.

The experience of blending fruit in a blender for pile filling or mixed drink special would normally achieve the same results as the ale in my glass. I cannot remember anything in beer like this.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

The brew is orange red, clouded with a beige small head that leaves little lacing.

The smell is (over)ripe strawberries, hay and leafs. Like a strawberry field in september. There is also the intriguing aromas of an old stable.

The taste is ripe strawberries, the dark red ones that will go bad tomorrow, some almond sweetness and saltiness from a mild Stilton.

Medium carbonation, a complex taste oscillating between pure strawberry lemonade and an olde ale.

This is a very interesting fruit beer, very natural, and extremely complex.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Somewhat hazy coppor colored brew. Nice sized fluffy white head. Sticky lace. Scent is mostly strawberry. It hits you as soon as you open up the bottle. Intense flavor. Pretty sweet flavor, strawberry dominates if you can believe that. Somewhat tingly on the tongue, medium bodied. Tasty creation

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

A- cloudy caramel to light brown-amber ion color 1 and 1/2 fingers of white head and white lacing that sticks to a glass

s- strong aroma of strawberry's very similar to strawberry jam with undertones of hops and malt

t- taste of strawberrys up front that is not fake, after taste of a good smooth ale with hints of hops and malt

m-good full body not strongly carbonated with a smoother mouthfeel

d-smooth great strawberry taste

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

The smell, taste, and mouthfeel were all in line with each other. It may be on the sweet side for some, but I loved that it had a true strawberry flavor. A fun beer for a special occassion, but not an every day beer. The fact that it is organic is a plus, too!

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

550ml bottle into a flute.

A: Pours a rich peach hue with a lively bubbly head that quickly reduced into a few popping bubbles. No lace.
S: Strawberry candy or gum. Very sweet smelling. A few tart and sour notes as well.
T: It definitely has a sweet strawberry candy taste to it with slight syrupy undertones and a bitter finish. Tastes a lot like a fresh fruit juice drink or soda. Alcohol is not noticeable.
M: Rich and refreshing with a medium body and bubbly, nipping carbonation.
D: If this beer is supposed to be the worst of the three flavors then I'm excited to try the other two. If you're "craving a beer," don't drink this. It tastes too much like juice (in a good way, just not a beer way). However, if you want to try something new or need a change from the usual, check this one out.

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a large snifter. Lots of carbonation after the pour. Not much more than about an inch of head. Pale reddish color looks alot like strawberry juice. Huge strawberry scents. Very sweet, natural strawberry taste. This beer was not a disappointment at all. One of the best fruit beers I have ever had. Other than the strawberry flavor, no real hop or malt profile.

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The other two Samuel Smith Organic Fruit beers are very much the color of their respective fruits; the Strawberry is not. It is actually much closer to the color of peach. This is not an unappealing color, just unexpected. The effervescent head rises quickly, even in a flute glass.

Smell: The beer does have the smell of strawberries, but it's not overly potent. The aroma is also somehow not very inviting.

Taste: Naturally, the main flavor is strawberry. It's an authentic taste, but not very sweet. There's really not the strawberry punch I was expecting. In my opinion, a beer like this needs to either be full-on with sweet strawberry flavor, or else add more malt and change the nature of the beer. The way it is presently, it is at best slightly bland, and at worst borders on astringent.

Mouthfeel: Organic Strawberry's mouthfeel is its biggest asset. It's wet, slick, and light- (but not too light) bodied.

Drinkability: While it's not nearly as delicious as its Samuel Smith fruit counterparts, Organic Strawberry is likely more easily consumed in larger quantities.

Notes: Organic Strawberry completes my tour of the three Samuel Smith Organic Fruit Beers. I had high expectations for this beer, and I must say I'm somewhat disappointed. This beer is several notches below the excellent Organic Cherry and Organic Raspberry. I guess two out of three ain't bad.

Despite the overall letdown, I'm still glad I tried this beer, if only to be able to say I've tried a strawberry flavored beer. I have a suspicion this bottle may have been outdated, so I'd like to try Organic Strawberry again sometime. In the meantime, I'll definitely get my hands on more of the Cherry and Raspberry!

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was a little disappointed with this beer. I like Samuel Smith's other fruit beers very much, but this one didn't really do it for me. I found the smell to be extremely unappetizing. The taste wasn't terrible. It's definitely got some strawberry flavor. If you want a Samuel Smith fruit beer, go with Raspberry or Cherry.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: orange in color with some yellow highlights. 1" head slowly falls to a thick surface foam. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: the strawberries are very pleasant on the nose, along with some malt sweetness.

Taste: mild malt profile with loads of strawberry syrup flavoring. Bitterness is mild and doesn't rally cut into the sweetness of this beer.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp throughout. Long strawberry flavored aftertaste here.

Drinkability: one bottle is more than enough in a session as this beer is a bit sweet. I could see using this beer to make a nice waffle batter though.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

A nice frothy head with a strawberry red tint. Very good head retention.

All kinds of strawberry when smelling this. So much that it is tough to tell what else is there. I do smell a bit of a plasticy smell that isn't too nice.

The strawberry taste is fake tasting, like it was from a syrup. There is some essence of malt, but mostly strawberry overkill.

Plenty of carbonation present and after swallowing, it is very similar to the aftertaste of eating a bunch of fruit.

Pretty easy drinker, but the flavor is not that satisfying enough to want more.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Pours medium brown with a reddish hue. Substantial tannish head with some lacing. Quite hazy.

Fruity, clean strawberry aroma. Some sweet malt comes through but it is mostly strawberry. Still good, smells like fresh strawberry juice. Tart strawberry flavor, not overly sweet. More malty flavors but not too much. Leaves a slightly sweet strawberry aftertaste.

Light to medium body, low sweetness, and a bit puckering.

Nice, refreshing beer. The tart fruit flavors caught me a bit by surprise; I expected more of a sweet fruit beer. This made it a nice change of pace compared to other fruit beers.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

550ml bottle poured into Unibroue glass feb18 2010

A peachy orange color with a big head that hangs around for a few minuets and leaves a couple partial rings of lace

S some sweet malt and a whole lot of strawberry

T again lots of fresh strawberry but it tastes real unlike many other fruit beers

M a little sticky but very smooth and thick enough but not overly syrupy

D easy enough to drink and I found myself craving another sip before my glass hit the table

in the summer time this will be in front of me, if you like strawberries this is for you. this may be another way to force beer down my girlfriends throat with out her complaining so I like it even more

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%

I picked this up at Wegman's beer dept - poured chilled from the 18.7 oz black bottle into a flute

A - A strawberry juice appearance like a fiery orange shade w/ cream colored cap and very tiny bead. There is a lot of sticky lace and the retention is good. The beer is attractive to look at as it has a natural appearance and the clarity is very good

S - The smell is like fresh strawberry juice and you can get whiffs of that as it is poured it smells as sweet as ripe strawberry and has a mild malt aroma

M - A very sweet feel, not exactly cloying or syrupy but a bit too much for a beer that is more than a pint package. it is moderately carbonated which may be why it seem sweeter than average. There i a light creamy texture and the beer has a subtle spice tinge in the finih

T - This ale drinks a lot like juice - it is sweet and very slight acidity in the flavor w/ somewhat malt backed, but really tastes like a strawberry beverage - lots of juicy sweetness and creamy light malt taste to even it just a bit w/ mild floral aspects and mellow spiced tinge as it finishes w/ mild residual berry sweetness

D - A fruit ale not lambic as Melbourne bros bottles had on them, the Samuel Smiths' version doesn't really seem any stronger but has plenty of fruit I would probably consider this a good choice for blending - possibly w/ something like Brooklyn Black Chocolate for a chocolate covered strawberry taste

4.5/5  rDev +19%

very good beer. this beer has a great taste. it looks, smells tastes very nice. very smooth texture. i rate this a+ if f like fruit flavered beers. over all an a because some may not like this type of beer. i recommmend all of samaul smiths flavored beers.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a bottle into a Singha glass. Beer is amber and mostly clear with a slight haze to it. Carbonation is moderate to low and it forms a thin white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

Holy strawberry aroma. Yum. Slam dunk here, you made a strawberry beer that smells like strawberry. Almost smells like candy.

Flavor is less sweet than I expected. It does taste like strawberry syrup though. Beer is medium in body and there is a lot of carbonation in the mouth. Its slightly tart and is rather sweet. There is a slight aftertaste of berries. And it does taste a lot like strawberries.

I think it smells better than it tastes but its still a pretty good beer. Slightly astringent.

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

From notes 1-3-10

Done Horizontally with Fruli

Eye: The perfect way to describe this beer's color is strawberry blonde. Nice head formation and retention-good one finger white creamy head. Body is not crystal clear, but clear. All in all it looks great, I think it looks a tad better than Fruli. Sheets of lacing with rings left behind.

Nose: Definitely different than that of the Fruli. I get a completely different strawberry aroma here. The Fruli is more candy-like where as this one is more of a frozen fruit type. The Fruli is richer whereas I think this is more true to the actual strawberry itself. Again it smells like a real fruit, not some extract flavoring. Another difference is that overall I get a strawberry-banana aroma from this one, pretty cool. Creamier and heavier aroma than Fruli. Each one is great but so different.

Tongue: Oh, so much different than the Fruli. Again, the strawberry-banana deal comes through. Much creamier and smoother, more beer like as opposed to juice like. It doesn't say how much alcohol is in it, but it seems to come through more...say compare a juice to beer...yes you will get alcohol in the beer after drinking the juice, be able to detect it. Alcohol comes in on the back end following starwberry and banana. Very good and quite different.

edit: Fruli is sweeter than Sam Smith's and thicker and less beer like and more juice like

Feel and Drinkability: Creamier and heavier than Fruli, carbonation is a bit more coarse but not as high; infact its much lower...I'd say that it is low. Its feel works perfectly for what it is. Easy to drink and again this could replace juice in the fridge moreso than a lambic. Fruli and this are quite different yet similar too. Hard to compare, since they are so similar and yet so different.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

A- This pours a bright golden orange with 3 fingers of off white head, with a pink tinge to it. Retention and lacing is average.

S- Smells of strawberry juice & mild sourness/bitterness. This one almost smells better when your nose isn't right in the glass.

T- This delivers as advertised, it definitely tastes like strawberries. There's a decent malt backbone as well. It finishes a little tart.

M- Medium bodied, with a bit of a syrupy like quality to it, which I'm not a huge fan of.

D- This is one of the better fruit beers for sure, but I'm limited to just this one, the syrupy feel would become to cloying for me.

Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)