Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

to view more.
Ratings: 6,031 | Reviews: 2,211
4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Luckily for me I have had hundreds of these in my lifetime.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Not only am I about to consume an Oatmeal Stout for your reading (and my tasting) pleasure but this is none other than Samuel Smith's much celebrated and widely known in all the counties of England and further ashore including Ireland, the Isle of Man and Jersey Islands invigorating, energising and revitalising Oatmeal Stout†. Or something along those lines - the label did look like it had been designed in the 1850’s. And you know what? Frugality like that (i.e. not paying for rebranding in over a hundred years) is rare these days and Samuel Smith has it in spades, cheers Mr. Smith!

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Well I accidentally hard poured a khaki head of 2 inches... looks good though with its deep dark cola body. Can’t wait to dive in... yep *taps fingers*. 8/10.

S: Espresso coffee notes mingle with hints of dark fruit and a melange of roasted barley and rolled oats... possibly the most porridge-like beer my nose has inhaled. I like it when my Oatmeal Stouts have oat aromas, like a big glass of breakfast! 8/10.

T: Damn tasty. More on the dark fruit side than coffee/chocolate with those oats really coming in to play with flavour and body. They (the oats) take on dry/tannic qualities towards the finish and there is an amalgamation of bitter/dry/sour/sweet characters that really make this fine Stout shine. Did I mention this is ‘damn tasty’? Oh... right... well this is Stouts finest hour. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a fairly lively carbonation. Oats = Chewy. 8/10.

D: Again I’m a big fan of the Samuel Smith’s ales, they’ve all so far been like getting inside a time machine and going back to the 19th century where men were men and women were men too (everyone was a bit hardier back then overall). If you want a real damn tasty and luxurious Stout then look no further. 10/10.

Food match: Back in 1852 when you had to work 16 hrs a day you would generally eat gruel and drink 18 pints of Stout, people wore hats that contained small anvils to help strengthen their neck muscles. Today however beef stew is a better option.

†Thesaurus Nazis will have noted that the three words ‘invigorating’, ‘energising’ and ‘revitalising’ all mean the same thing, congratulations‡. *slow clap*

‡Syntax Nazis will have noted that I used the ‘dagger’ character BEFORE and instead of the ‘asterisk’ character for my footnote, congratulations. *slow clap*

2.37/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again.

This is my gold-standard for oatmeal stouts. It is so good I almost don't want to drink it. Every oatmeal stout has something, some quality, that I would adjust in some way, except this one. Perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely fantastic beer - this brewery knows stouts. Like big time.

4.17/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Taste got better and sweeter as the beer warmed up a bit a glass. Not too much chocolate or coffee, mainly oats. Great looking beer! Would buy again.

Nice head. Good smell of English yeast. The front is malt, yeast, and roast. Every now and then I get the slightest hint of raise on the first drink when there is still good head. When held to light in a pint glass it is a deep dark reddish brown. You can see through it. A quality I always appreciate. Nice and smooth in the mouth as a patty stout should be. It's a great beer. In my top 5 stouts.

Wow this stout blew me away. Pours black with a slight layer of tan foam. It's a traditional oatmeal stout which means it's perfect for any time of the day, particularly breakfast. The low ABV makes it easy to drink without getting drunk and adds to its smooth quality. Fantastic beer, best oatmeal stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying.

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth i am a quad drinker so for my first oatmeal stout i dont really have any other to compare it too. Im like stronger beers but this is pretty damn smooth and refreshing

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend shared this with me. I thought it was a nice oatmeal stout, very smooth and mildly chocolate-ly, no real coffee flavor (which was nice in my judgment). But there are a lot of good oatmeal stouts out there.However, not interesting enough for me to purchase.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Aroma of oats and hint of chocolate, subtle notes of molasses. Taste is medium dry with a small amount of bitterness with notes of coffee and grains. Very pleasantly creamy mouthfeel and a medium body. Possible metallic-like off flavor/aroma.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

355 ml brown bottle on a pint glass. Way too small a sample to enjoy this fine creation at full. Delicious!

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

Loud hiss upon opening.Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. 1 finger tan head of fizzing foam. Sounds like Rice Crispy ceral in a glass. Smells of oats, chocolate, and sweet hints of alcohol. Heavy weight, as a stout should be. Taste is oats, coffee, and bitter chocolate. Bit of a dry finish with oats and a slight alcohol aftertaste. Suprisingly boozy taste for only 5%.

I suppose this is the difference between an English and American stout, but this beer didn't have a whole lot of flavor for what it was. Tasted a bit thin and lacking, but still good. I think I'll stick to Imperial stouts and leave this one for the traditionalists.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Deep brown pour with aroma of roast and chocolate. Sweet and soft on the palate. Very good.

3.71/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Started at 55 degrees. I did not get much of an aroma, especially compared to its sibling imperial and chocolate stouts. Pretty straight forward smell of grains and malts. Not much chocolate or coffee. Same with taste. Smooth, minimal bitterness. Mouth feel is between thin and medium. Overall I would describe the taste as good but nondescript. I would not drink it just to drink a beer--I'd reach for the organic chocolate or imperial stout. But with a meal I would drink this over those. Bottom line, Samuel Smith continues to impress me with its lineup.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Absolutely loved this beer, best oatmeal stout I've had thus far, very very drinkable, taste is on point.

Creamy oatmeal stout with a mild bite. Absolutely delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A real nice oatmeal stout. earthy oatmealy creamy maltyness. Its good. Its really good. Its dark. A nice creamy white head. Oatmeal. Malts. Whats the sweet note? is it chocolate? I dunno. Its good though. You should try it.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A-pours a deep coca cola color with a foamy tan head with nice retention
S-sweet milk chocolate, hint of hazelnut, oats
T-more milk chocolate, hints of roasted malt/debittered coffee, and finishes creamy. Hops provide nice balance to the sweetness
M-medium bodied and creamy
O-great beer. very flavorful and creamy, excellent example of the style

One of my very favourites. One of the staples that I always grab a couple of.

4.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great stout so drinkable no real flavors stand out cant beat for the price

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

-beautiful head light brown, deep dark black
-alcohol and oatmeal, light cream
- thick but not overpowering, cream flavor with oat notes, lingering oatmeal flavor
-good body, thick, lingers but pleasant and comforting
-hoped for a higher adv, but overall a great crafted beer taste is next to none. Will drink time and time again.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Smooth! Very drinkable. One of my goto stouts.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown/black pour leading to a big rocky head of inviting tan foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt, subtle cocoa
Taste-Toasted malt, milk chocolate, "Yorkshire Square" subtle mineral stonyness that adds a depth of character, creamy smooth finish. A classic example of the style.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice sweet oatmeal aroma. Easy drinking with a frothy head and smooth finish. Slightly sweet chocolate milk flavor.

to view more.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)