Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,138
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours black under a 3” frothy tan foam collar that produces thick lace.
S: Not a lot of aroma, some light roast.
T: Dark malts, roast, coffee, oat creaminess, cola, faint fruit. A light grainy astringency and mild hop bitterness balance the light sweetness from the malt.
F: Very creamy, moderate carbonation and full body. Has the oatmeal stout silky texture.
O: Very easy to drink with a good balance of flavors in a rich creamy texture. (448 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had many oatmeal stouts and was pretty put off by Anderson Valleys recently. This one from Samuel Smith (which happens to be my first beer by them) is excellent though. (176 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals. (174 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

At 50°F poured into a clean Nonic Pint glass, palate and nose cleansed.

Appearance: This pours Black but when held eye level there is natural light penetration presenting a Darker Browner tint. There is an index finger of “glittering”, foamy head which dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Initially the nose presents, to me, the usual ancient well water smell followed by roasty, bready malt and as it warms the other usual characteristics of a stout present itself, mainly the cocoa.

Taste: The taste is concurrent with the smell, that of bread, oats and a nice cocoa finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a slight crisp, drier feel to it at the back of the throat.

Overall: The balance of the stout flavors and oats are excellent. As a novice I have grown to really appreciate the basic styles brewed right. Samuel Smith’s, as a brewery, is one of my anchors when I become fatigued with the complex experimentations of others. While my only critique is the lack of viscous mouthfeel of their stouts I have learned how to appreciate it. This is another great offering from Sam Smith which I will keep in my regular rotation throughout the year. (1,185 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful mahogany color with a thick tan head and great retention. The smell is lovely with roasted coffee, caramel, and chocolate. The taste highlights the malt, with some nuttiness, coffee, caramel, chocolate and a hint of bitterness. The feel was perfect, silky and chewy. Great thick finish. (300 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black, tan foam, bread, cereal, chocolate, coffee, roasty, licorice, vanilla, medium sweetness, lightly bitter, medium body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish.Thoroughly enjoyed this. A standout in my book. Highly recommended! (230 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured black with a nice and creamy tan head, leaving behind good lacing in the glass.

Smell: At first I picked out roasted malt, a bit of coffee and cocoa with oatmeal. On second sniff I picked out dark cherries and other dark fruits with a very faint hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts on the taste. Slight hint of the dark fruit to back it up. I also can pick out the oatmeal in the taste.

Feel: Nice and creamy but a little bit watery for my liking. I wish it had a bit of a thicker mouth feel for an oatmeal stout but I have to remember it is only 5% ABV and not a RIS. The wateriness does not take away from the experience of the beer.

Overall: I like this oatmeal stout very much. It is a sessionable brew with nice flavors to match the nose. My only gripe is the thinner mouth feel. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts/oatmeal stouts. (902 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark brown with a big 2 inch off-white slight beige head. Smell metallic, yeast, sweet malt, chocolate, bread, and vanilla. Taste is light watery, with a cherry and malt flavor. A bit of chocolate and also a bit of bitter, overall sweet. Mouth feel is full but the body is watery and sweet with a tinge of sour. (324 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Good beer, not great. The hype on these Sam Smith beers isn’t lived up to, I’m finding. Oh well. I’ve tried two, a third is chilling. We’ll see. (156 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I tried this beer before I tried their Imperial Stout. The stout is better. Not by much but better. Idk something about this beer didn't sit right with me. Looked n poured great, perfect head. Smell was a little off to me like bitter oats and metal? Taste was watered down for my typical expectations. Would actually recommend The Poet by Founders before this. Looking forward to trying the Tady Porter tho... hopefully thats niiice. (434 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I don't know what the magic mineral is in that ancient well that Sam Smith credits as the secret to their delicious brews, but it works wonders here. I consider this to be the standard against which I measure all other stouts. I suppose that should make it a perfect 5, but I think each individual characteristic could actually be improved upon. The head could be a little bigger or the smell could be a little more dynamic. Taken as a whole however, everything comes together perfectly. (488 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Not only am I about to consume an Oatmeal Stout for your reading (and my tasting) pleasure but this is none other than Samuel Smith's much celebrated and widely known in all the counties of England and further ashore including Ireland, the Isle of Man and Jersey Islands invigorating, energising and revitalising Oatmeal Stout†. Or something along those lines - the label did look like it had been designed in the 1850’s. And you know what? Frugality like that (i.e. not paying for rebranding in over a hundred years) is rare these days and Samuel Smith has it in spades, cheers Mr. Smith!

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Well I accidentally hard poured a khaki head of 2 inches... looks good though with its deep dark cola body. Can’t wait to dive in... yep *taps fingers*. 8/10.

S: Espresso coffee notes mingle with hints of dark fruit and a melange of roasted barley and rolled oats... possibly the most porridge-like beer my nose has inhaled. I like it when my Oatmeal Stouts have oat aromas, like a big glass of breakfast! 8/10.

T: Damn tasty. More on the dark fruit side than coffee/chocolate with those oats really coming in to play with flavour and body. They (the oats) take on dry/tannic qualities towards the finish and there is an amalgamation of bitter/dry/sour/sweet characters that really make this fine Stout shine. Did I mention this is ‘damn tasty’? Oh... right... well this is Stouts finest hour. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a fairly lively carbonation. Oats = Chewy. 8/10.

D: Again I’m a big fan of the Samuel Smith’s ales, they’ve all so far been like getting inside a time machine and going back to the 19th century where men were men and women were men too (everyone was a bit hardier back then overall). If you want a real damn tasty and luxurious Stout then look no further. 10/10.

Food match: Back in 1852 when you had to work 16 hrs a day you would generally eat gruel and drink 18 pints of Stout, people wore hats that contained small anvils to help strengthen their neck muscles. Today however beef stew is a better option.

†Thesaurus Nazis will have noted that the three words ‘invigorating’, ‘energising’ and ‘revitalising’ all mean the same thing, congratulations‡. *slow clap*

‡Syntax Nazis will have noted that I used the ‘dagger’ character BEFORE and instead of the ‘asterisk’ character for my footnote, congratulations. *slow clap* (2,435 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again. (885 characters)

This is my gold-standard for oatmeal stouts. It is so good I almost don't want to drink it. Every oatmeal stout has something, some quality, that I would adjust in some way, except this one. Perfect. (202 characters)

Nice head. Good smell of English yeast. The front is malt, yeast, and roast. Every now and then I get the slightest hint of raise on the first drink when there is still good head. When held to light in a pint glass it is a deep dark reddish brown. You can see through it. A quality I always appreciate. Nice and smooth in the mouth as a patty stout should be. It's a great beer. In my top 5 stouts. (398 characters)

Wow this stout blew me away. Pours black with a slight layer of tan foam. It's a traditional oatmeal stout which means it's perfect for any time of the day, particularly breakfast. The low ABV makes it easy to drink without getting drunk and adds to its smooth quality. Fantastic beer, best oatmeal stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying. (342 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth i am a quad drinker so for my first oatmeal stout i dont really have any other to compare it too. Im like stronger beers but this is pretty damn smooth and refreshing (178 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend shared this with me. I thought it was a nice oatmeal stout, very smooth and mildly chocolate-ly, no real coffee flavor (which was nice in my judgment). But there are a lot of good oatmeal stouts out there.However, not interesting enough for me to purchase. (265 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Aroma of oats and hint of chocolate, subtle notes of molasses. Taste is medium dry with a small amount of bitterness with notes of coffee and grains. Very pleasantly creamy mouthfeel and a medium body. Possible metallic-like off flavor/aroma. (242 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

Loud hiss upon opening.Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. 1 finger tan head of fizzing foam. Sounds like Rice Crispy ceral in a glass. Smells of oats, chocolate, and sweet hints of alcohol. Heavy weight, as a stout should be. Taste is oats, coffee, and bitter chocolate. Bit of a dry finish with oats and a slight alcohol aftertaste. Suprisingly boozy taste for only 5%.

I suppose this is the difference between an English and American stout, but this beer didn't have a whole lot of flavor for what it was. Tasted a bit thin and lacking, but still good. I think I'll stick to Imperial stouts and leave this one for the traditionalists. (672 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Started at 55 degrees. I did not get much of an aroma, especially compared to its sibling imperial and chocolate stouts. Pretty straight forward smell of grains and malts. Not much chocolate or coffee. Same with taste. Smooth, minimal bitterness. Mouth feel is between thin and medium. Overall I would describe the taste as good but nondescript. I would not drink it just to drink a beer--I'd reach for the organic chocolate or imperial stout. But with a meal I would drink this over those. Bottom line, Samuel Smith continues to impress me with its lineup. (576 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A real nice oatmeal stout. earthy oatmealy creamy maltyness. Its good. Its really good. Its dark. A nice creamy white head. Oatmeal. Malts. Whats the sweet note? is it chocolate? I dunno. Its good though. You should try it. (224 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A-pours a deep coca cola color with a foamy tan head with nice retention
S-sweet milk chocolate, hint of hazelnut, oats
T-more milk chocolate, hints of roasted malt/debittered coffee, and finishes creamy. Hops provide nice balance to the sweetness
M-medium bodied and creamy
O-great beer. very flavorful and creamy, excellent example of the style (346 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

-beautiful head light brown, deep dark black
-alcohol and oatmeal, light cream
- thick but not overpowering, cream flavor with oat notes, lingering oatmeal flavor
-good body, thick, lingers but pleasant and comforting
-hoped for a higher adv, but overall a great crafted beer taste is next to none. Will drink time and time again. (333 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown/black pour leading to a big rocky head of inviting tan foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt, subtle cocoa
Taste-Toasted malt, milk chocolate, "Yorkshire Square" subtle mineral stonyness that adds a depth of character, creamy smooth finish. A classic example of the style. (271 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)