Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,107 | Reviews: 2,229

This is the single finest tasting oatmeal stout I have ever enjoyed.

I simply love this beer and just drove to three separate liquor stores to find it. It pours a beautiful dark brown color with a tan head that remains on the glass. The taste starts with a roasted flavor and finishes smooth with some caramel notes. I don't find this beer overly sweet at all. It isn't hoppy, but instead is well balanced like any English ale should be. I just drove twenty miles to find this beer and it is so smooth and well worth it. No American beer can match it. In a class by itself. I only wish I had another bottle.

Being a lover of porters and stouts I have tried my share. Samuel Smith oatmeal stout is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

When my mom used to try to shovel down the Quaker stuff I would gag...if only she'd known about Mr. Smith....this is wicked stuff and, without question, one of the finest stouts I've ever tried...big, bold and beautiful...the Irish drink pony pee by comparison!

I don't always drink beer but when I do its sam smith.

A- pours black. dark khaki head with retention and lacing

S- chocolate, roasted malts. Some coffee, rich and complex. Some dark fruits in there.

M- excellent carbonation for the style. Smooth thick but not overpowering. Silky but not milky

T- sweet malts. Its roasty, its chocolatey. But it has some bitterness. Its bold and it stands out.

O- the celebrated. Its perfection. One of the best oatmeal stouts i have ever had.

One of my very favourites. One of the staples that I always grab a couple of.

An absolutely amazing oatmeal stout. Incredibly smooth. Perfection...

This is the perfect oatmeal stout, and one of my favorites of all stouts more generally. I grab one or two of the large bottles whenever I happen across a Trader Joes. I've noticed that TJs stocks this (and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale) in the US from sea to shining sea.

SS's Oatmeal Stout excels in all categories, but to me, its greatest accomplishment is its mouthfeel. This is one of the smoothest beers that I've had the pleasure of imbibing. It literally feels like liquid silk, and if you want a great representation of a silky beer, this is the one that I would prescribe. It's perfectly carbonated for the style as well, and never seems to go flat, no matter how long it sits in a glass.

The taste is of espresso and strong, complex dark malts, with a wonderful bitterness that is balanced by its dry but sweet finish. Hints of chocolate and honey are there too, which really compliment the porridge backdrop.

The smell too is rich, with hints of caramel and sweet grainy malt.

All in all, it's a nearly perfect beer, and its great availability makes SS's Oatmeal Stout a must try in my opinion.

Poured in a proper Guinness glass so that it can be properly evaluated.

Pours a super dark brown/black, holding it up to strong light shows that this is in fact clear with red highlights.

Smell is Wow this is a Stout? Smells intensely fruity and complex like Belgian Strong brown ale. Probably 100 individual smells in this, coffee, toffee, orange, cinnamon, peaches, tutty fruity, and more. Probably one of the most fragrant brews in the world.

Tastes strongly of coffee and chocolate. Fruit flavors are here too, lots of apple, a bit of caramel, earthy flavors like olives.

Mouthfeel is hearty and thick.

Super drinkable. I don't normally really like Stout beer; this brew changed my point of view on this style of beer.

Huge 3 finger thick head that stays around and leaves a film that lingers for the entire time.
Completely black and I can’t see through it.

I smell toasted caramel malts, breadiness, oats, some hops, some chocolate, and a little bit of molasses. Very inviting.

Just as delicious as I remember it being. Very toasty malts, not burnt though. Pretty much all the aromas come through in the flavor in a very thoughtful way. Very well crafted.

Very smooth medium/thick mouthfeel but easy to drink.

Overall: This is an old friend so I'm glad to be reviewing it now. I would buy this all the time but then I wouldn't be able to try other beer haha. This my perfect beer.

Wow this stout blew me away. Pours black with a slight layer of tan foam. It's a traditional oatmeal stout which means it's perfect for any time of the day, particularly breakfast. The low ABV makes it easy to drink without getting drunk and adds to its smooth quality. Fantastic beer, best oatmeal stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying.

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: 3 finger head. Motor oil. It looks beautiful!

S: Absolutely delicious smell! Chocolate, caramel. Oat sweetness.

T: Milk chocolate. Oatmeal. Balanced. Not too sweet. Raisin when warm.

M: Creamy smooth, velvety.

O: This is truly a world class beer. It's incredibly balanced. There is nothing that I would change about it.

Quite possibly the best beer on earth. A bit pricey but well worth the price. Drink slowly and enjoy every sip.

This is my gold-standard for oatmeal stouts. It is so good I almost don't want to drink it. Every oatmeal stout has something, some quality, that I would adjust in some way, except this one. Perfect.

12 oz. dark bottle with the golden foil on top. Could not find a freshness date or an ABV sign.

A: Very dark with some tones of red when some light hits the glass. Light brown and creamy looking head. Beautiful light lacing on my pint.

S: Smells wonderful! Very light sugar cane . Chocolate and coffee. Very delicate but consistent.

T: Hints of coffee and chocolate. Nice acidity and bitterness mixed with the expected sweetness. 12 oz isn't enough for my paladate, after the last sip, you wish you could have at least 4 more (sips). Delicate is a word to describe the experience, this must be what earth's blood's could taste like (and now I feel like a poet...well, love to beer could do this to you, I guess!).

M: Nice body, oily, silky...I don't want to let go.

D: I think this beer could relate to any palate. Yes sir, I could drink this Day and Night...Night and Day!

My favorite foreign beer! This is a very tasty beer, I recommend it to anyone desiring a beer for pleasure. Out of all of my oatmeal stout choices, I place this one on the top.

Appearance: Very dark, nice head.

Smell: As expected, oatmealy.

Taste: Best bottled beer. Period.

Mouthfeel: You know that it is in your mouth, it has a very strong presence.

Drinkability: I was drinking 4 a week for several months.

Nice head. Good smell of English yeast. The front is malt, yeast, and roast. Every now and then I get the slightest hint of raise on the first drink when there is still good head. When held to light in a pint glass it is a deep dark reddish brown. You can see through it. A quality I always appreciate. Nice and smooth in the mouth as a patty stout should be. It's a great beer. In my top 5 stouts.

A: Poured a nice ebony with burgundy highlights towards the bottom of the glass. A nice chalky head forms that dissipates to a thin sheen of froth with some thicker patches of foam. Lacing is subdued but present nonetheless.

S: Roasted malt, Chocolate malt, a hint of brown sugar and maybe a little bit of caramel there as well. Nice sweet grain smell.

T: Incredible! Tasted sweet, but not syrupy sweet nor light fruit sweet. It was something akin to dark chocolate with a touch of caramel and brown sugar. Hop bitterness is just barely detectable. It stays around just long enough to cleanse the pallate and leave you wanting another sip.

M:Not heavy, which is kind of what I was initially expecting. It is nice and crisp which complimented the body perfectly. A quenching dark beer. Not so much of a warmer which I didn't altogether mind considering how wonderful it was otherwise.

D: I could easily go through any number of these. This beer is the epitome of great beer, and I would not change a thing about it.

Great, smooth, not too pricey

incredible oatmeal stout

Arguably today’s premier stout and there is no wonder to it's popularity. Dark as midnight this one his the mouth with a take-force flavor but parts the way for a rewarding creamy sweetness that keeps inviting you back for more. A deep coffee and dark chocolate mix. Goes down as smooth as ice cream. I usually find myself having a few in a row before realizing it!

Pres: Comes in a 4 pack. The gold foil is cool. First time I tried this beer, I unwrapped the foil by hand. It was tedious. Next time, I just opened the bottle normally, and the foil cut off perfectly. Bottle poured into a mug.

App: Black, brown hue when held up to light, great head, lots of lacing.

Smell: Very complex and interesting malty/bready.

Taste: Very smooth mouthfeel. Complex. I tasted coffee, caramel, creaminess.

Note: I loved this beer! I've been looking for it for a while, and it's been sold out, so I was excited when I finally found it. I wanted to try it based on the great ratings I've seen. I'd love to go to the brewery in England for a try.

Among all the beers I've tried...this is still probably my favorite which says a lot. Deliciously dark stout, organic, oaty flavor that is just plain and simple. I've sampled plenty of oatmeal stouts and they honestly can't hold a candle to the magic that samuel smith puts into ever pint. It set a new standard for my enjoyment of stouts in general...as a side note, i haven't had a bad beer from samuel smith yet and i've sampled all but maybe two of them it is truly a fine brewery.

Wow this beer blew me away. Knocked my socks off. This was the first Oatmeal Stout I tried and it's so far been the best. I was a little bummed it only came in a four pack and that it was pricey but damn was it worth it. The grain, the oatmeal, the wheat, the creaminess...wow. It was truly like Oatmeal in a bottle...with beer. Highly recommend this beer.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)