Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,132

I simply love this beer and just drove to three separate liquor stores to find it. It pours a beautiful dark brown color with a tan head that remains on the glass. The taste starts with a roasted flavor and finishes smooth with some caramel notes. I don't find this beer overly sweet at all. It isn't hoppy, but instead is well balanced like any English ale should be. I just drove twenty miles to find this beer and it is so smooth and well worth it. No American beer can match it. In a class by itself. I only wish I had another bottle. (538 characters)

When my mom used to try to shovel down the Quaker stuff I would gag...if only she'd known about Mr. Smith....this is wicked stuff and, without question, one of the finest stouts I've ever tried...big, bold and beautiful...the Irish drink pony pee by comparison! (261 characters)

A- pours black. dark khaki head with retention and lacing

S- chocolate, roasted malts. Some coffee, rich and complex. Some dark fruits in there.

M- excellent carbonation for the style. Smooth thick but not overpowering. Silky but not milky

T- sweet malts. Its roasty, its chocolatey. But it has some bitterness. Its bold and it stands out.

O- the celebrated. Its perfection. One of the best oatmeal stouts i have ever had. (426 characters)

This is the perfect oatmeal stout, and one of my favorites of all stouts more generally. I grab one or two of the large bottles whenever I happen across a Trader Joes. I've noticed that TJs stocks this (and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale) in the US from sea to shining sea.

SS's Oatmeal Stout excels in all categories, but to me, its greatest accomplishment is its mouthfeel. This is one of the smoothest beers that I've had the pleasure of imbibing. It literally feels like liquid silk, and if you want a great representation of a silky beer, this is the one that I would prescribe. It's perfectly carbonated for the style as well, and never seems to go flat, no matter how long it sits in a glass.

The taste is of espresso and strong, complex dark malts, with a wonderful bitterness that is balanced by its dry but sweet finish. Hints of chocolate and honey are there too, which really compliment the porridge backdrop.

The smell too is rich, with hints of caramel and sweet grainy malt.

All in all, it's a nearly perfect beer, and its great availability makes SS's Oatmeal Stout a must try in my opinion. (1,113 characters)

Poured in a proper Guinness glass so that it can be properly evaluated.

Pours a super dark brown/black, holding it up to strong light shows that this is in fact clear with red highlights.

Smell is Wow this is a Stout? Smells intensely fruity and complex like Belgian Strong brown ale. Probably 100 individual smells in this, coffee, toffee, orange, cinnamon, peaches, tutty fruity, and more. Probably one of the most fragrant brews in the world.

Tastes strongly of coffee and chocolate. Fruit flavors are here too, lots of apple, a bit of caramel, earthy flavors like olives.

Mouthfeel is hearty and thick.

Super drinkable. I don't normally really like Stout beer; this brew changed my point of view on this style of beer. (737 characters)

Huge 3 finger thick head that stays around and leaves a film that lingers for the entire time.
Completely black and I can’t see through it.

I smell toasted caramel malts, breadiness, oats, some hops, some chocolate, and a little bit of molasses. Very inviting.

Just as delicious as I remember it being. Very toasty malts, not burnt though. Pretty much all the aromas come through in the flavor in a very thoughtful way. Very well crafted.

Very smooth medium/thick mouthfeel but easy to drink.

Overall: This is an old friend so I'm glad to be reviewing it now. I would buy this all the time but then I wouldn't be able to try other beer haha. This my perfect beer. (672 characters)

Wow this stout blew me away. Pours black with a slight layer of tan foam. It's a traditional oatmeal stout which means it's perfect for any time of the day, particularly breakfast. The low ABV makes it easy to drink without getting drunk and adds to its smooth quality. Fantastic beer, best oatmeal stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying. (342 characters)

Poured into a tumbler in late 2013.

A: 3 finger head. Motor oil. It looks beautiful!

S: Absolutely delicious smell! Chocolate, caramel. Oat sweetness.

T: Milk chocolate. Oatmeal. Balanced. Not too sweet. Raisin when warm.

M: Creamy smooth, velvety.

O: This is truly a world class beer. It's incredibly balanced. There is nothing that I would change about it. (363 characters)

This is my gold-standard for oatmeal stouts. It is so good I almost don't want to drink it. Every oatmeal stout has something, some quality, that I would adjust in some way, except this one. Perfect. (202 characters)

12 oz. dark bottle with the golden foil on top. Could not find a freshness date or an ABV sign.

A: Very dark with some tones of red when some light hits the glass. Light brown and creamy looking head. Beautiful light lacing on my pint.

S: Smells wonderful! Very light sugar cane . Chocolate and coffee. Very delicate but consistent.

T: Hints of coffee and chocolate. Nice acidity and bitterness mixed with the expected sweetness. 12 oz isn't enough for my paladate, after the last sip, you wish you could have at least 4 more (sips). Delicate is a word to describe the experience, this must be what earth's blood's could taste like (and now I feel like a poet...well, love to beer could do this to you, I guess!).

M: Nice body, oily, silky...I don't want to let go.

D: I think this beer could relate to any palate. Yes sir, I could drink this Day and Night...Night and Day! (880 characters)

My favorite foreign beer! This is a very tasty beer, I recommend it to anyone desiring a beer for pleasure. Out of all of my oatmeal stout choices, I place this one on the top.

Appearance: Very dark, nice head.

Smell: As expected, oatmealy.

Taste: Best bottled beer. Period.

Mouthfeel: You know that it is in your mouth, it has a very strong presence.

Drinkability: I was drinking 4 a week for several months. (417 characters)

Nice head. Good smell of English yeast. The front is malt, yeast, and roast. Every now and then I get the slightest hint of raise on the first drink when there is still good head. When held to light in a pint glass it is a deep dark reddish brown. You can see through it. A quality I always appreciate. Nice and smooth in the mouth as a patty stout should be. It's a great beer. In my top 5 stouts. (398 characters)

A: Poured a nice ebony with burgundy highlights towards the bottom of the glass. A nice chalky head forms that dissipates to a thin sheen of froth with some thicker patches of foam. Lacing is subdued but present nonetheless.

S: Roasted malt, Chocolate malt, a hint of brown sugar and maybe a little bit of caramel there as well. Nice sweet grain smell.

T: Incredible! Tasted sweet, but not syrupy sweet nor light fruit sweet. It was something akin to dark chocolate with a touch of caramel and brown sugar. Hop bitterness is just barely detectable. It stays around just long enough to cleanse the pallate and leave you wanting another sip.

M:Not heavy, which is kind of what I was initially expecting. It is nice and crisp which complimented the body perfectly. A quenching dark beer. Not so much of a warmer which I didn't altogether mind considering how wonderful it was otherwise.

D: I could easily go through any number of these. This beer is the epitome of great beer, and I would not change a thing about it. (1,018 characters)

Arguably today’s premier stout and there is no wonder to it's popularity. Dark as midnight this one his the mouth with a take-force flavor but parts the way for a rewarding creamy sweetness that keeps inviting you back for more. A deep coffee and dark chocolate mix. Goes down as smooth as ice cream. I usually find myself having a few in a row before realizing it! (366 characters)

Pres: Comes in a 4 pack. The gold foil is cool. First time I tried this beer, I unwrapped the foil by hand. It was tedious. Next time, I just opened the bottle normally, and the foil cut off perfectly. Bottle poured into a mug.

App: Black, brown hue when held up to light, great head, lots of lacing.

Smell: Very complex and interesting malty/bready.

Taste: Very smooth mouthfeel. Complex. I tasted coffee, caramel, creaminess.

Note: I loved this beer! I've been looking for it for a while, and it's been sold out, so I was excited when I finally found it. I wanted to try it based on the great ratings I've seen. I'd love to go to the brewery in England for a try. (670 characters)

Among all the beers I've tried...this is still probably my favorite which says a lot. Deliciously dark stout, organic, oaty flavor that is just plain and simple. I've sampled plenty of oatmeal stouts and they honestly can't hold a candle to the magic that samuel smith puts into ever pint. It set a new standard for my enjoyment of stouts in general...as a side note, i haven't had a bad beer from samuel smith yet and i've sampled all but maybe two of them it is truly a fine brewery. (485 characters)

Wow this beer blew me away. Knocked my socks off. This was the first Oatmeal Stout I tried and it's so far been the best. I was a little bummed it only came in a four pack and that it was pricey but damn was it worth it. The grain, the oatmeal, the wheat, the creaminess...wow. It was truly like Oatmeal in a bottle...with beer. Highly recommend this beer. (356 characters)

Without a doubt - the best brew in the world. A perfectly balanced stout. Even if you don't like stouts this is one worth trying-you just may become a convert. (161 characters)

Grabbed one tonight because I want to review Road Slush soon and wanted to check out an original Oatmeal Stout -- surprised I've never reviewed an old favorite.

A -- Deep, dark black with ruby highlights that only show with a flash light. Dense, mousey, long-lasting, light brown (not tan) head.

S -- Roasted malt with sweet undertones cream & coffee and light licorice and caramel.

T -- Roasted malt up front with that cream & coffee smooth sweetness following then finish with a mellow roasted malt bitterness. The oat character comes out with warmth and compliments the other flavors nicely.

M -- Mouthfeel is smooth and silky but finishes mildly dry. Body is medium.

O -- Overall, this is the stuff -- the benchmark for the style. I've never given all 5s to a beer before, but this one is deserving. (808 characters)

There are many stouts and oatmeal stouts about, but this is hands down my favorite. The aroma, the taste, the color, it just seems perfect. I like to chill this beer just slightly, then pout it into a nice thick beer mug. I could be happy with this beer if it was the only one available forever more! I love it !!! (314 characters)

All beer lovers should bow down to the legendary Charles Finkel who revived Samuel Smith’s brewery with his Merchant du Vin distribution Company. (Google “Charles Finkel merchant of beer Alan Moen” for a great article about this marketing genius).

That said…why drink this stout? Only if you want to transport yourself to the countryside of Yorkshire without actually getting on an airplane.

I am convinced that one could survive on this beer only (without food) longer than any other beer on the market. (514 characters)

Pours a light khaki head, and settles to a deep dark chocolate with only a hint of ruby when held to the light. The nose starts with an acohol warning, developing into a dark fruit, rich and inviting. The flavor of figs and dates bubbles acrossed the tongue, falling back into a complex flash of caramel malts and soft sweet oatmeal, before finishing with the brewery's characteristic granite finish. Begging for another sip, I could drink the case tonight. (457 characters)

Poured from a 550 mL bottle, a nice dark brown color as it pours , hold it against light and it is absolutely pitch black. Mild smell of oats as the bottle cracked open, tan head with very good retention. Oats, a hint of coffee and chocolate somewhere in the back make this stout downright delicious. Smooth as silk, each sip leaves you wanting more, every sip is a revelation. It is the most well balanced oatmeal stout, period. Drinkability is exceptional, I can never get enough of the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Hands down the best oatmeal stout on the face of the earth. (575 characters)

Poured into pint glass 12 ounce bottle.

Appearance - 2 finger brown head jet black thin lacing.

Smell - Dark malts with coffee, chocolate in the back end.

Taste - Same as the smell, dark roasted malts with coffee in the middle and chocolate on the finish. Not bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - The oats in this make in so smooth and silky its unreal no bite to it but I for one hate that in a stout.

Overall - I can't find anything wrong with this beer the craftsmanship is outstanding go grab one and see for yourself. (517 characters)

We are all a little biased when it comes to our favorite beers but since that is consistent all around the map - nothing to worry about..
appearance: beautiful black.. a little red when held to the light but one of the blackest beers you will find.
smell: big sweet dark (and dried) fruit.. hints of mollasses and caramel.. coffee (and here it is very relative- I get almost a complex African coffee)
taste:sweet, tart.. maybe black current.. slightly sour.. beautiful berry undertones.. are they black, blue? - you decide! wonderful maltiness.
mouthfeel: big syrupy feel..nectar!
drinkability: surprisingly easy to drink (621 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)