Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
4.2

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,243 | Ratings: 6,458
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Beer poured from bottle into Pint shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a fantastic one and half finger deep beige colored rocky head; dissipation was easy and controlled; body was a deep black color, absorbed all light; not much lacing stuck to the sides of the glass; some carbonation comes up

S - Great scents of roasted malt and some smokiness on the back-end; initially your most glands are hit with scents of licorice sweetness, opens your sinus like Vicks-vapo rub; never smelled that in a beer; tiny scents of dark, dark chocolate; clean and refreshing

T - Espresso/coffee flavor; roasted malts; bitter coffee flavor washes over the tongue; rustic root flavor; ginger?; very, very small amount of hop flavor, could be confused with burnt malt taste

M - Slightly smooth; not much carbonation to this beer; plenty of aftertaste though; coffee and smokey malt flavor coats the back of the throat; good balance of burnt/roasted flavors; watery; thin body rinses the palate rather quickly

D - Lots of hype for this one; I was saving this for a long time; maybe it requires more aging to develop a full body and sweeter roasted malt flavor; a bit watery if you ask me

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a dark burgundy colour, quite dark but a lot of colour in it, especially when held up to the light. The head is thin, very thin actually, beige colour. Leaves some deliciously sticky cascades of lacing around the edge. Pretty good indeed.

Nose is sweet and sticky, slightly roasty with a light cocoa character, hints of brown sugar, maybe some spice as well, nutmeg I think. A light citrus character at the back, orange and maybe lemon as well. A lot of nuance, but a bit subdued with nothing explosively aromatic.

Roasted character throughout the palate, slightly bitter without overdoing it into ashy territory. Hints of cocoa and a fair amount of cereal grain. Has a port character towards the back with a good sweetness that again doesn't overdo it by venturing into sickly-town or syrup-ville. Feel is smooth and velvety. Reasonably full but gliding, like indigestion cream.

This is extremely drinkable stuff, with smooth pleasant flavours. It does venture into sweet territory at the back, but it's balanced enough for the most part to make it quaffable.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a very dark cola color. Very thick with a huge foamy tan head that held throughout the drink. Good webbing along glass side.

Smelled of chocolate, fresh bread, some malt.

Has a slight metallic bite to the taste. Very thick and chocolate-like, a little dry. Very heavy drink. Wouldn't recommend this bad boy with a meal, it's a meal in it's own right.

Overall, pretty good brew. Though it's not my favorite style, I'd reach for this one again.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

550 ML bottle dated SH16K1 aka August 16, 2011. Lets not open the bottle dating Pandora’s Box and get to the beer…

Darn dark with a fluffy light brown head. Pouring it the beer looks brown but in the glass it’s more black than anything. The lightbulb looked ruby through the beer. Nice lace and head retention.

Roasted malts and some sweetness on the nose.

Roasty malts, slight coffee and chocolate, earthy and hoppy. Some sort of sour/metallic thing going on. Idunno. Otherwise it would be much better.

Smooth, lightly carbonated, and dry. Wonderful.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured this into a tulip. The body is very dark brown with a light tan head that leaves sticky lacing and is very bubbly. The nose is full of sweet dark malts, it's really sweet up front and reminiscent of brown sugar or molasses; pretty much something to that nature that I really can't place my finger on. It's not the most complex aroma, but it's very pleasing and well done. The taste is sweet through and through. It's not bad but the flavor seems a bit bland. I can detect the dark sweet malts and a slight flavor of oak. It finishes with a bit of a coffee taste. Like I said, it seems bland, maybe subtle is a better word, but this is really an enjoyable drink. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, honestly what I would want from an oatmeal stout. This is a great readily available beer, and at five percent, real easy to enjoy over a period of time.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer was good, first time I had it was at the Braveheart Highland Pub in Hellertown Pa. The beer is nice rich and dark. The aroma and taste reflect the look of te beer. This beer had a bit of a metallic flavor at first which faded in time. I liked the strong roasted flavors it had running through it. It was a good beer for sure. Enjoyed it even more the second time I had it.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

A- black with one inch tan head that fades to a large ring with no lacing

S- sweet carmalized malts, a little coffe

T- this is my first oatmela stout but I don't taste any oats. Burt malts, milky, sweet, and nutty.

M- creamy meadium mouthfeel, carbonation is good, burnt bitter finish.

D- Low alcohol makes it drinkable, but it isn't my taste to have more than one.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

550ml bottle poured into a chalice. The body is dark black with brown undertones. Thin, chunky tawny lacing - sticks to glass on the way down.

To the nose, the oddball oatmeal tang is present, although with this one it is more astringent than I'd like. Not a lot of sweetness depth.

In the mouth, this is a silky smooth stout. The creamy maltiness is overwhelming - but pleasant. Hop character is somewhat lacking, but who cares. Layers and layers of roasted malts abound.

The body however is much too light for my taste. For a beer with such over the top malts, this shoud have more chewiness to it. Very metallic and thin on the tongue and finishing. An organic finish is evident, but it is not hearty enought to speak about.

Musings: I've had plenty of these in the past - first review. I do love the taste of the beer - the body and feel is just too thin for my liking. Put it against McNeill's or even Troegs and the skinny feel is clearly evident. Even still, a first rate stout.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Nice, dry oatmeal stout. Really, I was hoping that I would like it more on this go round. It's not bad or anything. I just probably won't ever buy one again. Of Sam Smith's lineup, I've only loved the Taddy Porter. I appreciate most of their beers, but I often end up feeling a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. This beer is a dry stout with a full, smooth feel. It's dark, nearly black with brown highlights at the extreme edges. The head is beige and leaves some lacing. The aroma is chocolate malt with that dry note that I usually associate with Irish Dry Stouts (oh, Guinness...). The mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's the best part of the beer. Good beer but not great. (My girlfriend demands that I write down her note of "baconey.")

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured nice and black with a big tan head. Head retension is decent but not the best nor is there much lace sticking to the glass. It has a sweet smell of molasses and roasted malt. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth and semi sweet with flavors of chocolate, molasses, malt, and coffee.

Not bad, but I expected more considering the high score.

550 mL bottle...

Pours a dark, almost completely opaque black color with a 1 finger beige head that held nicely for a while and left a considerable amount of lacing.

Aroma consists mostly of chocolate with a touch of caramel and some bready notes.

Taste builds on the aroma as you experience many of the same things in a more pronounced manner. Caramel, toffee, chocolate and maybe a hint of dark fruit all come through in the taste. Pretty good stuff here.

A very smooth feel but maybe a bit rich for some. I'd cap it off at one bottle per sitting but that is not to say I would not want another later on down the line. Overall a fine example of an oatmeal stout.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours to a dark brown with some red on the edges. Has basically no head but some lacing is left.

Smell chocolate and roasted coffee in this brew.

You taste the coffe flavor first, but then you taste the chocolate come through.

Creamy brew that coats the tongue.

Pretty good, but only one of these at a time would do.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours almost black colour with huge tan head. Good looking stout. Good retention.
Smell - sour, bready, has some unpleasant notes.
Taste - bready with some raisin notes, some chocolaty malts. Much better than aroma.
Smooth, well balanced. Decent oatmeal stout, still pretty drinkable. I'd have it again.
Thanks a lot to jac5084 for this one.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a deep amber/ black color with a tan head. In the aroma, sweet oatmeal and a roasty maltiness. In the taste, just like the aroma, sweet oatmeal, and a roasty malt. A small bite and a decently big roasty maltiness in the mouthfeel, and a dry maltiness in the aftertaste. One of the beers that changed me into what I am today, however thank God for the brown bottles finally.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

wtf? I coulda swear i wrote a review for this many moons ago. Hmm anyways, its always nice to come back to this one.

Poured a gorgeous dark brown with a super massive frothy brown colored head, that i can already see is leaving some nice spotted lace. Many describe this brew as being pitch black which it isn't. Its a very dark brown but it certainly lets light through. Has it changed over the years possible?

Aroma is jam packed with oat, vanilla, brown sugar and lotsa roasted malt. There is also some sourness goinh on here, possibly from the yeast.

Taste is similar to the smell, but a nice bitter chocolate flavor kicks in with lots of deep roasted malt flavor.

Feel is creamy but not as thick as i remember. Light carbonation.

Not bad, but not what i remember from past tastings.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear ruby black color with a finger or two of a pretty dark, tan head. Quite a bit of carbonation as well, which I wasn't really expecting.

Smell: A lot of roastiness, with a pretty significant caramel note. There's some coffee, but I'm not really getting any sorts of chocolate aromas. This beer has a very good nose on it.

Taste: For being supposedly the best oatmeal stout in the world, I'm pretty largely let down for a few reasons. I'll assume this is due to my ignorance, but anyway... first of all, the mouthfeel isn't at all what I thought it would be. Rather than a smooth feel, it's pretty light with a surprising amount of prickly carbonation. Second, the flavor is just lacking. It isn't bad, but it sort of tastes like watered down coffee. As it warms up a bit, I also get a minor dark fruit flavor that I find odd, but it does add a bit more depth and intrigue to the beer. I've been under the impression that (of ones I've had) oatmeal stouts have a relatively thick, creamy mouthfeel with fairly mild carbonation, and have a nice, bold flavor. I don't get it with this.

My dad claims that this is the best beer that he's ever had, but I've had better oatmeal stouts that were made right here in Michigan. I know my opinion is an unpopular one, but it is what it is. S.S.O.S. is a drinkable, easy-to-session sort of beer, but it's not how I like my stouts.

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Name a flavor, and it's here! Cohesive, yes, but wildly kaleidoscopic - dark malts, oats, molasses, Fig Newton, dark chocolate, energy bar, tree bark, and liquid smoke... I'll have one, please. Just one.

Still a well-crafted brew that leaves a lasting impression: You'll NEVER forget it. A chew-tastic hunk of fruity coffee power.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle. Started at 55 degrees. I did not get much of an aroma, especially compared to its sibling imperial and chocolate stouts. Pretty straight forward smell of grains and malts. Not much chocolate or coffee. Same with taste. Smooth, minimal bitterness. Mouth feel is between thin and medium. Overall I would describe the taste as good but nondescript. I would not drink it just to drink a beer--I'd reach for the organic chocolate or imperial stout. But with a meal I would drink this over those. Bottom line, Samuel Smith continues to impress me with its lineup.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

Jet black, like motor oil with a frothy head.

I detect alcohol in the smell, which is odd for a 5% ABV beer. Also some sweet nuttiness, toffee, burnt malts.

Taste: smooth, sweet & sour. Coffee, toffee, nuts, brown sugar. Tasty. Not perfect but not bad.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, oily, and smooth all rolled into one. Feels heavier than it is.

Drinkability is good, but I think one or 2 is all I could handle. Its pretty rich.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle. Jet black beer with a great two inch head. Tiny bubbles, but they take quite a while to settle. Nice coating on the way down.

Typical oatmeal stout smell. Nothing remarkable there.

Very smooth mouthfeel, with less roasted malt taste than I'm used to in a stout. I like it, the roasted malts aren't so overpowering.

That said, the taste isn't mind blowing or anything, it's fairly run of the mill. Nothing disagreeable. Malts and oatiness. Didn't catch any sweetness or hops, really.

Very drinkable, especially for a stout. Nice work. Great session beer.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a near black dark brown with a frothy creamy head. Smell is very muted - hard to get much from it aside from some roasted malt. The taste is much more pronounced than the nose with strong malt, cocoa, oats and a bit of coffee. Medium body with a little much carbonation. Drinkability is decent.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: deep dark brown, with a thick tan head
S: can't put my finger on it...has that British smell
T: plums and other dark fruit
F: Rich and creamy
O: it has that British taste that I can't define

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

From a bottle. I've learned that smaller Stouts really ought to be enjoyed on Nitro, conventional Draught, or widget can; not from the bottle.

A - Pours a luscious black with a dense head. It looks exactly the way a Stout should.

A - some roasted notes, nothing overly pronounced.

T - When cold it's very boring. Once it warms it gets some decent depth to it. The finish is roundly chocolate. It's not especially roasty, more dark and sweet. It really tastes like chocolate. The malty bridge is full of Sam Smith yeast flavors - my favorite part of the experience. A decent amount of crystal malt was used, but it doesn't do the beer great favors. At least it's more tame than Milk Stouts.

M - It's very wet. On the one hand, it's drinkable. People who hate the heaviness and burnt flavor in Guinness will see Stouts redeemed in their eyes after trying this. However, those of use looking for a substantial Oatmeal Stout won't find it here. There isn't the velvety character I was expecting.

O - It's sure drinkable, but it's not the stuff of legends. Really, it bridges more on what I think a Brown Ale should be than an Oatmeal Stout. I've had better beers. It definitely doesn't deserve even a spot in the shadow of Sam Smith's Russian Imperial Stouts.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

It pours black with a light brown sugar thick head. Thick beautiful laticework.

The aroma is of very dark roasted barley. And a little alcohol.

The flavor is pretty good. Very malty but not overly sweet like a milk stout. Very balanced with a little bitterness.

The mouthfeel is outstanding. Realy. It's very smooth but it has a kinda...good grittiness on the tongue. I guess it might be called dry? But to me, it seems a little watery. Just a little.

I think that might be my favorite aspect of this beer ( the mouthfeel.)

Very drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Black as the two black borders of this website. Bubbly, fluffy light brown head.

S - Roasted malt, beef jerky, not getting much else.

T - Roasted malt for sure but tastes watered down. Charcoaled meats and a peaty-earthy taste on the palate. Not overly impressed as I expected I would be.

M/D - A surprisingly light body that has an irony, watery feel. Some modest carbonation.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)