Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
4.2

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,243 | Ratings: 6,458
3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

22oz bomber poured into a chilled pint glass.

Heavy pour yielded ~1" of foam that threatened to overflow the glass (and would have if not for some slurping intervention). Dense tan foam has an odd orange hue to it and leaves tons of lace. Nose is bitter molassas, dark malt, liccorice. Taste is smoke, wood, toffee, smoke and a bit of orange rind in the finish. Smell and taste are both a bit subdued, not as robust as I hoped. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Despite the aforementioned shortcomings, I do find it enjoyable and will have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

It's a great brew but I have one big issue with it

It's all oatmeal and the result is a very dry aftertaste and feel taht leaves you pining for a glass of water

If you love pure oatmeal stouts, this one was made with great craft and I love it's history and tradition

Personally though I'd like a little cinnamon or cream or some other addition flavors to help give it a better balance.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Extremely dark, nearly black. A huge, pinkish-brown head that just does not go away. Lots and lots of lacing.

S - A wee bit metallic/acidic. Brought to mind vomit, which is not good. Hints of chocolate syrup and coffee.

T - Straight chocolate syrup and coffee. Very sweet and toasty. A strange, pectin-like taste that's almost like that of apple juice (??).

M - More watery than I expected. Flat feeling.

D - Very filling. It is an oatmeal stout, after all... Not too bad, but I've had better (see Barney Flatts review).

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a Pint Glass from a 355ml(12oz) bottle.

First time drinking this, heard great things, hoping it lives up to the hype.

A- Dark amber/black. Barely able to see through it. Nice head that fades continuously.

S - Overwhelming. Having trouble deciphering all the scents. On top of the usual Stout suspects, think I smell a tiny bit of fruit. My nose could just be off. Smells awesome though.

T - Light surprisingly. I was hoping for some more bold flavors so I'm a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel - Nothing remarkable.

D- Seems like it could be a session type if its a cold winter night.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - when poured into a pint glass this beer looks great, dark brown/black appearance is amazing.

S - a little disappointing I really had a high expectation on this one. Sweet smell not to over whelming but still the look doesn't fit the smell.

T - not what you would expect, very nutty, sweet taste, pretty good but not knock out.

MF - darn good

O - I like it, and you will too. It is not one of those stouts that will have you telling your friends but it is good enough to drink on a cold night.

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

*liked it in the brown bottle not shit struck, would drink for free*

app: stoutish

smell: slight sour, good roasty toasty black malts in there. some richness, and a unique water smells for sure.;

taste: nice and rich yet smooth and balanced. A great all around everyday stout that will not scare away all the girl scouts that only drink weak beer. I must say brown bottles... HOORAY. living in GA I have only tasted sour weak versions of this beer that make me say WORST! but this is drinkable and worthy of its ka hootsy it gets.

mf: fine

drinkable?? yes, glad I finally get to taste a not ruined example of the beer, it does have a bit of a malty thickness that bulilds that may slow down a dehydrated drinker.

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle at around 57F into a pint glass.

A - Best part of this beer for me. Really great head developed, even though I poured mostly down the side. Cocoa brown and creamy, really long lasting. The body is dark brown and opaque until held right up to the light, and then appears rich burgundy.

S - Very malty and roasted grain. Maybe just a trace of sweet alcohol.

T - The malt is most present, some smokiness and a touch of the oatmeal at the finish. To be totally honest its bland for me, in comparison to all of the other Oatmeal Stouts I've tried this year (and that is nearing a dozen as of this writing).

M - Nice and creamy when quaffed right away, as it appears. It is a little bitter and it finishes very clear, pretty nicely done.

O - Theres nothing wrong with it but I am not wowed. American micros are brewing better examples of the style and they are easier on the wallet too. Those are the ones I will be going back to.

3.61/5  rDev -14%

A - Rich dark brown, creamy light brown head that starts course and fades to fine bubbles but stays thick atop the beer. Excellent!

S - Maple, old leaves, chocolate mixed with cold coffee at the tail end.

T - Toasty, charred (in a good way), a little semi-sweet chocolate.

MF - Big, full, loads the tongue without being overly carbonated.

D - I could have a couple. It's not something I can drink all night.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, a bit let down with this as I was sure it would be great. Reviews seem to support it too but I just think it pales in comparison to their organic chocolate stout and nut brown ale which are favs.

L: Pours the deepest darkest brown with a beautiful 2 finger head if poured correctly. As the head recedes there is some beautiful lacing. It really clings.

S: First sign I might not be a fan of this one. Malt of course but also light scents of leather, oatmeal and bread.

T: Drinkable but not what I thought it would be. Almost a generic taste. Very smooth but hmmm.... just nothing special about it. What am I missing? This is a 94 on BA? Taste matches smell almost to a T. A touch of rubber bike tire inner tube air. A touch of carbon paper, maybe Moxie. Damn I want to like this.. :(

F: Feel is typical Samuel Smith. Smooth drinking with a slight bit of overcarb which gives it a zing on the tongue. Not as good as their other beers I have tasted though. Probably because there is little sweetness to push back on the zing.

Overall I am not a hater but wouldn't buy this again. I was sure it was going to be special. To me the organic chocolate stout is light years ahead of this. Maybe I just like sweet stouts. This is like a base stout that has not had it's flavor added yet. Might be me, probably is.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very subtle in all its departments except the malted barley. Didn't really get the robustness I was looking for, and seemed almost watered down. Guess I was looking for an oatmeal stout that would smack me in the face with flavor.

3.61/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a clear bottle that I thought was a brown bottle a few hours ago.

A deep, Deep purple, almost black body with 5% light coming through. 2 inch thick head, light brown. Very pleasing appearance.

S Dark molasses

T Dark Chocolate, molasses, not overly alcoholic or heavy though, a gentle darkness if you will. One of the best Stouts that I have ever had. I am not a stout fan but this one is pretty good!

M Certainly full. It has the feel of a mouthful of bread.

D Fair due to heaviness but aren't all stouts?

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours what seems black but appears deep dark red when held up to the light. Good carbonation coming up with a really creamy, fluffy beige head. Solid half rings of lace half way down the glass and a half finger of retention.

S - Roasty, cola, brown sugar, cereal, chocolate.

T - Cola, brown sugar, chocolatey sweetness. Roasted coffee beans. Cola note comes on stronger than I'd like. Flavour comes out richer and chocolatier as it warms but the cola flavour still lingers there.

M - Good carbonation, roasted coffee bean and dry finish with some cola. Creamy medium body.

O/D - Cola note holds it back, otherwise it's not too shabby. On the sweeter end of the spectrum. Not too shabby.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

Almost pitch black in colour, the tan head on this brew didn't last too long. Nice malty caramel aroma with chocolate notes. Surprisingly carbonated and bitter. I didn't get any of the coffee notes that I was expecting, but I did get more malt and chocolate. A bit thin bodied, but still an excellent brew.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 355ml bottle, code is SD25L1 so bottled April 25, 2012.

Dark brown pour but deep red hues appear when held to the light. Very good head, thick and foamy. Aroma is mainly oatmeal but chocolates flakes are also present. Flavor tapers off a bit but retains the oatmeal character though not full-bodied. Bit of burnt smoke hidden in there.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

I did a terrible pour the first time, so the head was huge. Second time head was much better, poured a very dark brown with a hint of dark red, and the head was a nice tan color, didn't last long but had lots of lacing.

Smell wasn't very strong at first, got but stronger as it got warm. Smells like bread, maybe a little bitter. Reminds me of some sort of food roasting in the oven.

Tastes surprisingly light for how dark the color is. Very smooth. Tastes a little smoky or roasted. Just a tad sweet, and not as bitter as I was expecting from how it smells. I keep getting a little bit of metallic aftertaste, which I don't really like. Metallic taste keeps getting stronger the more I drink it.

Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth. Almost creamy, but not annoyingly so. Very good.

Drinkability: the alcohol is very warm to me, but I don't taste it. I think it's a little heavy to drink a lot of, but it's definitely worth trying.

Overall it's pretty good, the mouthfeel is great.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Had myself a 22 oz. bottle of this stuff that I poured into a pint glass - well, the 16 oz. that fit anyway...

Pretty impressive coloration - very dark, almost black, opaque with a creamy tan/brownish head that was about a finger and a half in thickness. Good lacing throughout the drink.

Aroma of dark chocolate, sweet oatmeal with cinnamon and a bit of hop bitterness, although a bit muted. Did detect a bit of funkiness in there, although I wasn't too sure of where it came from.

Taste was good but not great. There was a thick dark chocolate flavor, the sweetness of the roasted malts with the hops coming in right away.

Mouthfeel was good for a stout, creamy and thick and definitely left a slick feeling on your tongue.

Overall a good brew, but not as good as Young's Oatmeal Stout. I wouldn't pass this brew up but I'm not going out of my way to get it. It's session-able (if that's a word) but I wouldn't have more than 2 in a night personally.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Beautifiul frothy thin tan head that leaves lace on my glass sitting atop a completely black beer. Aroma is of creamy oats with a slight noble hop accent. Flavor is of carmel malt and roast barley with a thick oatmeal finish highlighted by a slight noble hop balance. The body is heavy yet this beer finishes with a malty sweetness. Very nice stout that is not sour like guinness but rather it is creamy, flavorful, and sweet.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

550ml bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a nice dark black color with a good 2-3 finger head thats a nice deep brown as well. Nose is dry, oatmeal, a bit of booze, and some light sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and creamy. It's got a nice roasty bitterness to it. Light chocolate finish that's a bit bitter. Very solid example of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Dark, dark red mahogany in color. Reasonable sized head that looks a little fizzy and faded pretty quick. Pretty good, sticky looking lacing.

Dark berry scented. Vinous and licorice scents are intertwined. A cold alcohol bite too. Not particularly strong scented though.

Definitely tastes of oats. Some sweet chocolate and berry flavors. A dark licorice flavor too. Again, not particularly strong. Seems a little weak actually.

Sweet, creamy mouthfeel. A touch of bitterness at the finish. Meduim bodied. Mildly aggressive carbonation. Not too bad on this end.

Not a bad little stout, but it does feel like a little stout. I was hoping the flavor would be a little more aggressive.

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Poured dark mahogany, almost black but hints of brown came through as it was held up to light. Minimal chocolate brown head that dissipated very quickly. Left minimal lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, hints of coffee and chocolate, and some kind of unidentifiable sweetness. Not bad, but nothing spectacular.

Taste: Smooth, and the roasted malts are definitely evident. There's also an odd aftertaste, almost an astringency. I would have thought it was just my bottle, but I've noticed other reviewers having noticed a 'chemical' taste. It's definitely a good tasting beer, but there's that little something in the background that tastes a little off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. A little too highly carbonated, but that's the only real downside. Nice and creamy, the way I like my stouts.

Drinkability: It's smoothness made this easy to put down. Only a slight bitterness at the end. That being said, the odd chemical/astringent taste remained throughout the entire beer. I enjoyed it, but I likely won't seek it out again.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Never had this one before. Picked up a 550ml bomber for $3.99. A little nervous because it was not refrigerated when I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark brown and pretty much opaque. Tan soapy head.

Aroma: Usual oatmeal stout malt forward nose. Molasses and slightly roasted malt.

Taste: Wow, this one has some character to it given it's low 5% ABV. You taste roasted caramel and just a hint of chocolate. Interesting how much flavor you get from a pretty one dimensional beer. There is one off-flavor though, a metallic taste in the finish. Not sure what caused that. If it wasn't for the off-taste, then this would be really great.

Mouthfeel: The oatmeal makes itself known here. Super smooth and just above medium bodied. Above average drinkability. Just a tad over carbonated.

Final Thoughts: The first sip was great, but after that the metallic after-taste starting to become more apparent. That's too bad because this was a very promising beer. Would I drink it again? Yes, I'd like to find a fresh bottle or have it on-tap to give it another chance.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into Samuel Smith Pint Glass.

Pours a 2 finger full tan head. Color is a deep deep mahogony brown. Pretty much black. Good retention and a lot of lace sticks to the walls of the glass.

Aroma: Very sweet oatmeal stout. Chocolate, caramel, and coffee are the main notes I get. This is quite a light stout as compared to others I have had.

Taste: Sweet toffee. Chocolate, caramel, and coffee is also there. Again, a very sweet tasting beer. Beer roasted malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. A very small touch of alcohol pokes through. Very sweet beer. Full bodied. Medium level of carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent oatmeal stout. It isn't on the top of my list, but it is worth a try. One of their better beers in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a FFF pint glass.

Pours a dark, almost black color with a couple inches of a nice, tan colored head. Cola colored edging with walls of lace.

The nose is has some semi-sweet cocoa with some English malts and a bit of oats.

The taste smooth a semi-sweet. There is some roasted malts balanced against the malty sweetness. A sweet lacto taste is also noticed behind the malts.

The mouthfeel is light-medium with a level of carbonation that is just right.

Overall, decent traditional stout that has good flavors but doesnt go over the top. Nice plain ole stout.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. Near black in color with maybe a one finger tan head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing as I drank it. Smell is a sweet cocoa and expresso. Taste is really sweet which i didn't care too much for. Reminds me Hershey syrup. I also get a bit of vanilla, expresso, and just a touch of nuttiness and fruit (cherries?) which I noticed when I had Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Mouth feel is quite smooth, but the carbonation and sugar leave my mouth feeling like I had a soda. Overall I can't say I'm big on it.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Black pour with some reddish brown edges and a frothy, dense, tan head. The aroma is chocolaty rolled oats, brown sugar, a hint of coffee, and a little rum raisin bread. The flavor is creamy chocolate and oats with some brown sugar and hints of toffee, coffee, and dark fruit. The body is creamy, medium, with soft carbonation.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)