Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.
The beer poured a deep black color with a huge two fingered head of khaki colored foam. The head stuck around for a good while and them faded down to a good looking cap of foam. Clumps of sticky lace clung to the sides of the glass.
The aroma is sweet malts, roasted barley, a clean bitterness, a touch of chocolate, and a light mineral note in the background.
The taste of the beer is excellent. Roasted barley and light coffee tones lead, mixed with sweet malts, bittersweet chocolates, clean bitterness, and a light coffee aftertaste.
The feel of this beer is silky and smooth, rich, luxurious and filling. As my cousin put it, "like drinking some birthday cake."
This is a wonderful and highly drinkable beer and worth every penny you pay for it.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

This is my very first Oatmeal Stout.

Pour gave way to a black body with amber hues when seen through direct light. Head was big and tan,while carbonation gave it good head retention and lacing.

Smell was earthy and filled with dark malts and a hint bittersweet chocolate, molasses, and oatmeal when it warmed up.

Taste delivered in a BIG way. Very smooth up front delivering roasted malts, chocolate, and dark sugars, with a heavy hand. Breaks way from sweetness to wonderful creamy smoothness all the way to the end leaving a taste of caramel, coffee beans, and chocolate on the tongue.

Mouthfeel was fantastic! It gives the illusion of being a big beer. The smooth creamy finish is so damn tasty!

This is gonna be a new favorite in my fridge. The mouthfeel really pushes this beer over the edge, while still being a great sipper that does not becoming cloying at any time. Marvelous!

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

I ordered a large (clear) bottle of this Oatmeal Stout at my newly-opened local beerpub, Mary's, and I savored its thick, dark, earthiness over delightful conversation with one of the pub's owners on a serenely slow Tuesday night. The stout poured an almost jet black (just a slight shimmer of red--but the lighting was low) with a deep tan head. It had a distinct musty smell and only the slightest hint of fruit. The mouthfeel was excellent; it was viscous and even creamy with little carbonation. The taste had a heavy maltiness, like caramel, and again the subtle citrus fruitiness lingered on the back of my buds. I liked it a lot, so I ordered another, and it continued to charm me--in all, a good choice from start to finish.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- 1 1/2 finger frothy tan head. Black body

S- sweet chocolate, smooth malt, tiny bit of roastyness in the back

T- sweet and prodimenent but not overwhelming chocolate. Followed by a spicy ness that is immediately overtaken by a smooth non-astringent roastyness. A slightly dry finish. Sweet chocolate is either forefront or undertone the entire time.

M- Smooth. If the carb was toned down a hair this would be a 5 instead ofy 4.5

Overall, a fanatastic stout. 2nd only to Old Rasputin for me so far. But I guess I should try more Oatmeal Stouts...

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Brew pours a deep reddish brown - not quite opaque with a thick fluffy tan head. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass throughout the drink

The smell is subtle but pretty much by-the-book stout: notes of caramel, hints of smoke and a wee bit 'bready'

The taste is quite heavenly - lots of dark roasted taste without any hint of burning or over-toasting. Primarily a caramel or molasses like sweet note with compliments of coffee and chocolate. Barely any hop note there but there is a small bitterness at the end to round out the taste.

Mouthfeel is everything an Oatmeal Stout ought to be - it's like drinking velvet and cream. There's a light amount of carbonation to fuzz up the tongue but the creaminess leaves a slightly oily coating on the tongue.

Very, very drinkable - just what you'd hope for in an Oatmeal Stout. The brewers have avoided some of the more aggressive notes that can tend towards burnt coffee or bitter chocolate and have instead created a brew which is classic: sweet, dark and creamy...

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark opaque brown, near black, with a foamy tan head. Lacing and retention are good.

S: Rosted malt, hints of milk chocolate and nuts.

T: Sweet, malty, full flavored. A little bit of coffee-like taste, especially in the slightly bitter finish.

M: Fairly carbonated, full bodied, slightly sticky aftertaste.

D: Drinks very easy, and the reasonable ABV makes it a pretty solid session beer.

If you like the style, or sweeter full flavored beers in general, this beer is definitely worth a try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours almost an opaque color, with a small tan colored head that dies really quick and leaves a nice lace. Mouth feel is smooth and body is medium. On the nose, the aromas consisted cereal grains, oats and slightly acidic. On the palate; grains, oats, nice sweetness, caramel, and a bit of toffee flavor. The finish is slightly sweet and slightly dry. Overall has to be one of the best oatmeal stouts I ever had, I thought it may be over rated at first… but not anymore.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wonderful Oatmeal stout!

Deep Brown color with good head retention, Great aroma of dark caramel, coffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted barley. Rich flavors from start to finish that balance superbly to make this brew very drinkable for style.

A must have for Stout lovers, i wish it was more readily available out here in hawaii.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Deep, dark mahogany brown with lighter brown, almost ruby, highlights. The cap has the color and surface texture of a freshly-baked oatmeal cookie. It's frothysticky, reasonably persistent and leaves a few small sheets and a few wisps of lace behind when it fades.

The nose is a little more subdued than some stouts, but a chocolate-covered coffee bean character is evident. Flavors include warm molasses cookies and coffee, along with very little chocolate. Oatmeal comes to the forefront as it warms and the beer becomes even more delicious as a result.

The mouthfeel is medium in heft, smooth and not especially creamy. There's a little too much carbonation for my tastes.

This is supremely drinkable beer that I'm enjoying immensely. Here's the short version of this review: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a widely available, easy drinking, delicious version of an oatmeal stout and is one that will always have a place in my beer fridge.

Oh how delicious...

Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass from a 550 ml bottle with gold foil on top. The appearance is a very dark brown, if not black, with a nice tan head on it that doesn't quite fade as I drink it, and leaves a lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of roasted malts, caramel, coffee, maybe some barley. It reminds me a lot of chocolate, perhaps dark chocolate given the slight bitterness that I detect.

The taste is awesome. There is a sweet malt flavor, as well as a bitter cocoa flavor, which finishes with a roasted barley as I swallow. The complexity in this is great, and it is what I have come to love about stouts. I paired it with some chocolate cake and coffee ice cream and it worked well with both.

Mouthfeel is very clean. It leaves no clinging residue in my mouth, and there is a nice bitterness after I swallow. It still holds a nice carbonation to it, while not being overpowering.

This is a great beer. I would save this for a finisher, maybe with dessert or on its own later in the evening. I don't think I would have multiple in one sitting, however. I am glad that it is easily found around me, because I definitely will be getting this again and again.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Lately I've been feeling like I should put my reviews up for the beers that defined my early exploration into good beer. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is THE beer. The one that slapped me in the face, and made me realize that there was a whole world out there of better beer. Astonishingly, it is still one of my favorite beers of all time, a beer I still get a frequent craving for, a year and a hundred or so new beers later.

So how does it taste?
Excellent. There's a very sweet taste here that I still can't pin down, and I don't get a lot from other stouts. Kind of like molasses. Some astringency is there too. When I first started drinking this beer I noticed a metallic taste as well, but I can't detect it anymore, which might be attributed to a different pallette. For some reason I'm having hard time identifying the different flavors in this brew, which might be why I like it so much. Oh sure, the usual stout flavors are there, there's some roasted coffee, some bittersweet chocolate. But this beer tastes like it made it's own rules for how it should taste. I haven't had any other beer that tastes quite like this one. Young's comes closest, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Appearance and Smell. Not completely black, there are ruby edges, and light can actually penetrate this beer if it is bright enough/viewed at the right angle. Head is modest, receding to a fine lace. Oddly enough, I know I've had some bottles that produced very little if any head, or lacing, although I don't remember the flavor ever suffering much due to this.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark brown with a light brown head. Head seems to stick around for quite a while. Appears to be fairly well carbonated.

S - Dark, bready, oatmeal. Maybe a little chocolate.

T - A little on the sweeter side, with some nice roasted chocolate/coffee notes and a consistent breadiness throughout.

M - medium bodied with a nice carbonation.

O - Overall, one of the better oatmeal stouts that I've had. I'll be coming back for more of this one.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: pours an opaque black into a dimple mug with a finger and a half of tan head that leaves some beautiful lacing.

S: nice chocolate and rich coffee, oatmeal, brown sugar, some charred wood, and leathery.

T: malty sweet chocolate, the oatmeal is noticeable but realply acts well to make the bold chocolate not too bitter. a grassy taste is left in the mouth.

MF: heavy body, crisp flavor, good moderate carbonation.

O: when I thought life couldn't get any better than Guinness (20-21 years old) some one bought a bottle of this for me. I love this beer, it has so many good things going on for it I usually can't pass it up!

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 550ml bottle to tulip glass after spending about 10 minutes chilling a bit in the fridge.

Absolutely wonderful. Pitch black with creamy tan head, great retention and lacing. Nose was nice and roasty with cocoa and vanilla. Taste followed - delicious cocoa, coffee, and a bit of caramel. I'm sure this would be great over ice cream. Not as heavy as I was expecting. Don't have much experience with oatmeal stouts, but if I tasted this blind I would swear it was a milk stout. Very delicious way to finish an evening.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550 ml clear bottle.

Creamy tan head that fades to the sides after a moment. Thin and spotted lacing with average strength. Dark brown/opaque black in color.

Strong vanilla, milk chocolate, and rolled oat aromas. A mildly sweet caramel maltiness as well. Great aromatics.

Semi-sweet vanilla and caramel flavors that lead to a dark oat and grain bitterness. Notes of milk chocolate throughout. A very pleasant vanilla and roasted oat aftertaste.

A mellow oatmeal stout with great flavor. Smooth and warming on the palate; not heavy at all.

A very drinkable version of the style given how tasty and mild on the palate it is. One of my favorite oatmeal stouts. One I'd be happy to drink anytime.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a dark brown with orange-brown shades around the edges. A small, creamy, tan head sits on top. Low head retention, and no lacing. Also, more body transparency than I'm used to seeing in oatmeal stouts. EDIT: Looking at the other reviews, I'm guessing that Wiseman Zach just poured this one shittily (rhymes with Italy). When he handed me the glass, it hardly had a head at all. Oh well.

Smell: Oatmeal, ripe banana, flowery hops, mocha, and spices. Much more fragrant and complex than other oatmeal stouts I've come across.

Taste: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, ripe banana... maybe that's vanilla. Prickly, floral, hops emerge midway through. Maybe some berries in there as well. The tasted has a much stronger roasted character than the smell, but they're nearly equal in complexity. Caramel and a little whiskey in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and not very thick or creamy. Kinda slick actually; definitely finishes dry. Moderate mouth coating. ABV feels a little higher due to the warmth and dryness. Not bad overall, but not good either.

Drinkability: Light and very tasty for an oatmeal stout. I can easily see why this is one of BA's most sessionable brews.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A great oatmeal stout. Very balanced and extremely drinkable.

A: Dark brown, bordering on black. Rocky tan head isn't too big, but has decent retention. Only a little bit of lace. Probably the beer's only weak spot.

S: Dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses and brown sugar. Quite sweet overall, but not overly so. Oak quality seeps in as well.

T: Yet more chocolate, plus a nice burnt bitterness. Burnt flavor is more woodsy than charcoal. Very balanced bittersweet flavor overall, with a certain bread-like quality. There is also a hint of acidity. Finishes somewhat dry in the mouth. Bitterness lingers for a little while.

M: Thick body feels great. Maybe a little too much carbonation.

D: I could drink a bunch of this. Too bad it's so expensive. I always keep a look out for it going on sale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a think extremely dark brown black with a creamy tan head and nice sticky lacing

S- Roasted oats with a sweet malt smell

T/M- This is a very smooth stout. The taste has a nice sweetness to it that lingers very nicely. The carbonation is right on with this one

D- This is a good heavy stout. It is very drinkable, and one that you could drink all night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just cracked open a year old bottle and poured into pint glass. I'm not sure why I was worried about its age. It poured black as night with a beautiful huge foamy tan head. This brings me back as I used to drink this in my youth. Clearly a Classic oatmeal stout. Dark dark color, almost black. Smooth and silky.

Serving type: 12oz bottle

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pt. 2.7 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Huge head from a vigorous pour. Stays at about 1" as I drink. There's a lot of clumpy lacing, too, which I suppose goes with the territory of the vigorous pour. Color is dark dark amber, and the head is mocha.

Smell: Lots of nice sweetness from the oats, with some dark, sweet chocolate, not overpoweringly toasted and burnt malt, and hints of coffee or mocha in there too. Also some hop bitterness creeps in as it warms a bit.

Taste: Much initial oat, malt, and chocolate sweetness in the beginning. Soon it mellows out and the sweetness becomes quelled a bit by the hops. Finishes sweet at first, then goes into toasted malt, a bit of chocolate, the oat sweetness, and finishes long and complex with all of that and some hops in the mix.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, fairly full-bodied, and awesomely creamy. Perfect amount of carbonation to lessen the possibility of the cloying nature, which here isn't present.

Drinkability: Definitely one of the best of the style. It may not be the best, but it's not overrated. And especially for the price, this is a sipper and a treat to boot. Quality stuff all around, and the perfect amount of alcohol so you can have a few in a session too if you're going that route.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)