Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,112 | Reviews: 2,229

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Poured dark mahogany, almost black but hints of brown came through as it was held up to light. Minimal chocolate brown head that dissipated very quickly. Left minimal lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, hints of coffee and chocolate, and some kind of unidentifiable sweetness. Not bad, but nothing spectacular.

Taste: Smooth, and the roasted malts are definitely evident. There's also an odd aftertaste, almost an astringency. I would have thought it was just my bottle, but I've noticed other reviewers having noticed a 'chemical' taste. It's definitely a good tasting beer, but there's that little something in the background that tastes a little off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. A little too highly carbonated, but that's the only real downside. Nice and creamy, the way I like my stouts.

Drinkability: It's smoothness made this easy to put down. Only a slight bitterness at the end. That being said, the odd chemical/astringent taste remained throughout the entire beer. I enjoyed it, but I likely won't seek it out again.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Never had this one before. Picked up a 550ml bomber for $3.99. A little nervous because it was not refrigerated when I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark brown and pretty much opaque. Tan soapy head.

Aroma: Usual oatmeal stout malt forward nose. Molasses and slightly roasted malt.

Taste: Wow, this one has some character to it given it's low 5% ABV. You taste roasted caramel and just a hint of chocolate. Interesting how much flavor you get from a pretty one dimensional beer. There is one off-flavor though, a metallic taste in the finish. Not sure what caused that. If it wasn't for the off-taste, then this would be really great.

Mouthfeel: The oatmeal makes itself known here. Super smooth and just above medium bodied. Above average drinkability. Just a tad over carbonated.

Final Thoughts: The first sip was great, but after that the metallic after-taste starting to become more apparent. That's too bad because this was a very promising beer. Would I drink it again? Yes, I'd like to find a fresh bottle or have it on-tap to give it another chance.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Poured into Samuel Smith Pint Glass.

Pours a 2 finger full tan head. Color is a deep deep mahogony brown. Pretty much black. Good retention and a lot of lace sticks to the walls of the glass.

Aroma: Very sweet oatmeal stout. Chocolate, caramel, and coffee are the main notes I get. This is quite a light stout as compared to others I have had.

Taste: Sweet toffee. Chocolate, caramel, and coffee is also there. Again, a very sweet tasting beer. Beer roasted malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. A very small touch of alcohol pokes through. Very sweet beer. Full bodied. Medium level of carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent oatmeal stout. It isn't on the top of my list, but it is worth a try. One of their better beers in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a FFF pint glass.

Pours a dark, almost black color with a couple inches of a nice, tan colored head. Cola colored edging with walls of lace.

The nose is has some semi-sweet cocoa with some English malts and a bit of oats.

The taste smooth a semi-sweet. There is some roasted malts balanced against the malty sweetness. A sweet lacto taste is also noticed behind the malts.

The mouthfeel is light-medium with a level of carbonation that is just right.

Overall, decent traditional stout that has good flavors but doesnt go over the top. Nice plain ole stout.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. Near black in color with maybe a one finger tan head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing as I drank it. Smell is a sweet cocoa and expresso. Taste is really sweet which i didn't care too much for. Reminds me Hershey syrup. I also get a bit of vanilla, expresso, and just a touch of nuttiness and fruit (cherries?) which I noticed when I had Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Mouth feel is quite smooth, but the carbonation and sugar leave my mouth feeling like I had a soda. Overall I can't say I'm big on it.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Black pour with some reddish brown edges and a frothy, dense, tan head. The aroma is chocolaty rolled oats, brown sugar, a hint of coffee, and a little rum raisin bread. The flavor is creamy chocolate and oats with some brown sugar and hints of toffee, coffee, and dark fruit. The body is creamy, medium, with soft carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

finally got a bottle of this stuff that wasn't skunked....it came in a beer gift set box with no light hitting it.
appearance: dense black color, with a nice tan head. yep that's a stout.

smell: ok there's some skunk, but i'm used to it with this one. still great with lots roasted malts. some chocolate. i can smell the "creaminess" of the oats

taste: some competing flavors. the skunk and the roasted barely duke it out. hints of coffie in here

mouthfeel: it's got a great creamy mouthfeel, no doubt due to the oats. yet it still is somewhat watery.

drinkability: it's good but after a bottle i've had enough. a classic beer that is good...

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours the obvious thick black like any good oatmeal stout should. The head was almost non-existant, but I think it could have been better had I poured more vigorously from the beginning. Smell is sweet and malty, but there is more chocolate than oatmeal in the aroma.

Unfortunately the taste didn't deliver on everything that the smell promised. There was a definite malty sweetness, but only faint hints of outmeal and chocolate, and there was more of a burnt flavor than anything else. The mouthfeel isn't quite as thick as I was hoping from a good stout.

Not a bad beer, and definitely drinkable, but not one that I will order again.

550mL bottle to tulip.

A: Pours with a large head of 3 fingers. Creamy, medium-dark brown in color, with mediocre retention and very little stick. The body is as black as black gets and completely opaque, all the way to the edge of the glass. Spare lacing.

S: The aroma is completely malt driven with almost no detectable hops. Malts include roasted notes of chocolate, coffee, oats and grain. The yeast profile adds scents of earth and well-conditioned leather.

T: Fruit expressions of plum and fig are included on the palate, layered in between the roasty notes that the nose suggested. The flavors last fairly long on the tongue with a touch of sweetness and finishing with an acrid bitterness followed by off-putting metallic notes. Sammy's oatmeal stout is respectably flavorful for 5% ABV.

M: Medium-full body and creamy texture. The carbonation is fizzy, perhaps providing a bigger tingling sensation than I prefer.

D: Not a bad quaff, however, this bottle is more than likely my last purchase of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I tried this beer before I tried their Imperial Stout. The stout is better. Not by much but better. Idk something about this beer didn't sit right with me. Looked n poured great, perfect head. Smell was a little off to me like bitter oats and metal? Taste was watered down for my typical expectations. Would actually recommend The Poet by Founders before this. Looking forward to trying the Tady Porter tho... hopefully thats niiice.

A - Deep brown with thick cream colored head. Head recedes rather quickly. 3

S - Definitely oatmeal and brown sugar notes. Roasted coffee also resides in this beer. 4

T - Sweet brown sugar up front with a mid ranged roasty bitterness. Bit of an alcohol taste as it goes down. 3.5

M - Great carbonation, alcohol burn is prevalent. 3

D - Pretty good oatmeal stout overall. Would definitely drink a ton any given night.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%

550ml bottle into tulip pint.

Pours black with dark mahogany highlights when held to the light. It has a thick frothy, creamy tan head.

Nose is of lightly roasted malt, cocoa and molasses. There is a definite mineral earthiness to it though that was a bit offsetting.

The taste is fairly in line with the smell though thankfully the earthiness is a little less prominent and allows a bit more of the pleasant cocoa and roast notes.

The mouthfeel is lightly creamy, medium bodied with nice prickly carbonation.

This was a pleasant beer that I enjoyed drinking, though I doubt that I will purchase it again. I just wasn't overly fond of the mineral earth tones mixed with the malt notes.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appearance- handsome. A strong looking drink with a nice looking thick tan head. Non deceptive.

Smell- sweet and clean. Elements of honey and wood.

Taste- rounder than most stouts. Truly malt influenced. The trademark stout flavor is introduced in the finish.

Mouthfeel- perfect!!!! I loved the feel, not to thick not to thin. Able to quench, but is still a stout.

Drinkability- when it's your first drink and your thirsty, goes down easy. But with a belly full of ale, this beer is moderately easy to drink.

An easy to drink stout, but not a traitor to the traditional robust flavor of the stout flavor we've all came to love. Cool!

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost pitch black with an outstanding head, lacing and retention. Subtle nose of dark fruit (plum, raisin) with light notes of roast and chocolate as it warms. Light bodied with little texture. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is laid back. It consists of a blend of light roast and chocolate with a distinct mineral note. If you look for it, you can find the oat character. The finish has a slight metallic twang to it. I suspect this bottle may be old, since what I'm tasting is nothing like the other reviews here. If you don't bother to bottle date, then the reviewer can't take age into consideration.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%

Clear 550ml bottle...gold foil wrapped over the neck & cap.

Looks great..dark brown with a beige head that holds like a champ. Aroma of caramel malts..like a Werther's Original candy with a roasted character.and then..yep, there it is.. Euro-skunk. More than a faint hint of skunkiness too...and unfortunately this is all too common with the Sam Smith's I have tried. Someone please inform me the rationality of having clear beer bottles that intend to be shipped halfway around the globe. Obviously this would be much better in it's home country, but I just can't give it the really high marks it probably deserves until the brewers can properly bottle and ship their beers to my door.
Do this beer (and yourself) a favor and let this warm up..the flavors get much more evident and mouthfeel is very creamy, despite it being somewhat thin. Drinkability is great for a nut brown...just wish I could try this on-tap somewhere so I could try an untainted version.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark brown color with just a little bit of head.

Smell was light with sweet with hints of molasses and coffee.

Taste was a sweet malty flavor with hints of oats, molasses, oak, and a mild bit of bitter burnt malts.

Mouthfeel was slightly chewy and had some nice carbonation.

Overall a decent offering.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very black in color, a short tan head develops slow during the pour, and then fades quickly. The carbonation appears to be average. Smell is dry and chocolate-y, mildly hoppy. The aroma is a bit off, it reminds me of drywall, oddly enough. The flavor is like dry coffee, a bit woody, and slightly sweet. The finish isn't all that bitter, but it does taste slightly burnt/toasty. The beer feels well carbonated, its thick but remains smooth. Drinkability isn't bad for this one. I feel like my review is lower than most and I can't figure out why. In the past I've liked this beer more, and this time I got more than one bottle from more than one source to make sure it wasn't skunked, but I feel the same way about it each time now. I think I'll stick with the Imperial Stout instead...

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a moderately opaque black color. Head formation is very strong, and is mocha colored. Head is well retained.

S - Light in smell - at best i can detect some of the roasted malts and a yeasty scent.

T - Starts off with a mostly sweet flavor, not that balanced. Mid-stream is more of the same, with some bitterness forming. Finishes with more of the trademark oatmeal astringency that I come to love w/ this flavor of beer. There is some of that acidity that I've seen in this style before that is not necessarily pleasant.

M - Moderate body - light for today's stout. Carbonation that was obvious in the appearance isn't as much in the mouthfeel. Little residue from the beer.

D - Easy to drink - ABV is not high for the beer style. Not overly filling by any means. Flavors are muted, so it wouldn't become a wear on the tongue. Only knock here is the existence of that acidity that just doesn't go well over a session.

3.54/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Pours almost opaque, with cherry red tinge when held up to the light. One finger head which dissipates.

S:No intense smell, just malts, slight hops, slight yeast.

T: Surprisingly mild compared to a Guinness, or Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout. Slightly sour taste. Full body mouth feel.

M: Fair carbonation which makes it smooth.

O: More of a grainy, malty taste came as the beer warms. Not overly intense in flavour in my opinion, but smooth and pleasant.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't have a lot to add to this that hasn't already been said. In all, it's a good beer, but I was underwhelmed. I had the Taddy porter as my first beer from Sam Smith, and was hoping the Oatmeal Stout would be as impressive, but it isn't, sadly. A good beer, but not one I'll be likely to buy again.

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Popped open the bottle, poured into a pint glass, WOW the head (which by the way is a dark brown), I might have poured it a bit aggressively but it filled 1/4th of an imperial pint glass. The color is jet black just like it should be.

S - Coffee, chocolate malt, also a sweetness, but not a caramel sweetness. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there.

T - Rich coffee, malt, oatmeal stout flavor. Above average for the style. Surprisingly strong taste for only 5%.

M - Weak for the style, almost watery. I would say that it is close to Guinness in that it has lots of flavor, but watery mouthfeel. I also might have gotten an overcarbonated bottle, but carbonation is tickling my mouth, not something I expect from an oatmeal stout, and not particularly pleasant.

D - This could easily be a session for nights where I want malt and lots of it. Because Sam Smith's is so easy to find, I will give it consideration next time I'm looking for something cheap and malty.

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

A: deep dark brown with a nice light coffee hued head on top. able to see some light through it when held to light. great retention on the head.

S: rich with roast and coffee notes. however it does have a subtle smooth sweet maltiness to it. cocoa powder.

T: surprisingly simple stout body. more sweet than dry. the chocolate is gentle and smoothed out from the oats. a little bit of nuttiness.

M: medium body with a fairly soft carbonation. the smoothness is actually a bit too soft in my opinion.

D: i remember this one being way richer in the past. maybe it is just my palate, but something seems to be lacking. still a good oatmeal stout, but i like more body on mine!

3.52/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one's been in the cellar for nearly two years. Dark brown, nearly black pour with a quickly fading one finger beige head with minimal lacing. Somewhat subdued roasty nose with hints of toffee, dark chocolate, coffee, and nuts. The taste is roasty and nutty with hints of coffee, dark chocolate, burnt toast, tobacco, dark fruits, toffee, oats, and some subtle vinous notes as well. The mouthfeel was a bit thin and fizzy at first, but as it warmed it became thicker and creamier with a slightly sweet finish. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Oatmeal Stouts, and this just didn't have enough body for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark brown with a big 2 inch off-white slight beige head. Smell metallic, yeast, sweet malt, chocolate, bread, and vanilla. Taste is light watery, with a cherry and malt flavor. A bit of chocolate and also a bit of bitter, overall sweet. Mouth feel is full but the body is watery and sweet with a tinge of sour.

3.52/5  rDev -16.4%

A - In a dimly lit bar this brew appears as an opaque void of darkness; though not cloudy or completely opaque when exposed to light. A fair amount of carbonation and a non-existent head.

S - Full-bodied and complex. Although a oatmeal stout, it has some characteristics of a cream stout- namely the sweetness. It contains malty, chocolaty (mocha), and somewhat smoky notes.

T - Strong, and full-bodied. Mocha and cream come through strong, finishing like a powerful black coffee. The aftertaste is a bit lingering, but for a brew of this nature its to be expected.

M - A good amount of carbonation, and somewhat smooth. The brew is a bit sticky. As I've said, the aftertaste is a bit lingering.

D - Not very- this is a meal of a beer. I can't see having many of these during a session. Without any doubt I would defiantly have this beer again, but sparingly and in moderation.

Its a good beer to be sure, but its a little pricey. I'm looking forward to using this beer as a standard to measure Youngs Oatmeal Stout against.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)