Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,203 | Hads: 6,272
3.54/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Pours almost opaque, with cherry red tinge when held up to the light. One finger head which dissipates.

S:No intense smell, just malts, slight hops, slight yeast.

T: Surprisingly mild compared to a Guinness, or Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout. Slightly sour taste. Full body mouth feel.

M: Fair carbonation which makes it smooth.

O: More of a grainy, malty taste came as the beer warms. Not overly intense in flavour in my opinion, but smooth and pleasant.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't have a lot to add to this that hasn't already been said. In all, it's a good beer, but I was underwhelmed. I had the Taddy porter as my first beer from Sam Smith, and was hoping the Oatmeal Stout would be as impressive, but it isn't, sadly. A good beer, but not one I'll be likely to buy again.

3.53/5  rDev -16%

A - Popped open the bottle, poured into a pint glass, WOW the head (which by the way is a dark brown), I might have poured it a bit aggressively but it filled 1/4th of an imperial pint glass. The color is jet black just like it should be.

S - Coffee, chocolate malt, also a sweetness, but not a caramel sweetness. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there.

T - Rich coffee, malt, oatmeal stout flavor. Above average for the style. Surprisingly strong taste for only 5%.

M - Weak for the style, almost watery. I would say that it is close to Guinness in that it has lots of flavor, but watery mouthfeel. I also might have gotten an overcarbonated bottle, but carbonation is tickling my mouth, not something I expect from an oatmeal stout, and not particularly pleasant.

D - This could easily be a session for nights where I want malt and lots of it. Because Sam Smith's is so easy to find, I will give it consideration next time I'm looking for something cheap and malty.

3.53/5  rDev -16%

A: deep dark brown with a nice light coffee hued head on top. able to see some light through it when held to light. great retention on the head.

S: rich with roast and coffee notes. however it does have a subtle smooth sweet maltiness to it. cocoa powder.

T: surprisingly simple stout body. more sweet than dry. the chocolate is gentle and smoothed out from the oats. a little bit of nuttiness.

M: medium body with a fairly soft carbonation. the smoothness is actually a bit too soft in my opinion.

D: i remember this one being way richer in the past. maybe it is just my palate, but something seems to be lacking. still a good oatmeal stout, but i like more body on mine!

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one's been in the cellar for nearly two years. Dark brown, nearly black pour with a quickly fading one finger beige head with minimal lacing. Somewhat subdued roasty nose with hints of toffee, dark chocolate, coffee, and nuts. The taste is roasty and nutty with hints of coffee, dark chocolate, burnt toast, tobacco, dark fruits, toffee, oats, and some subtle vinous notes as well. The mouthfeel was a bit thin and fizzy at first, but as it warmed it became thicker and creamier with a slightly sweet finish. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Oatmeal Stouts, and this just didn't have enough body for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark brown with a big 2 inch off-white slight beige head. Smell metallic, yeast, sweet malt, chocolate, bread, and vanilla. Taste is light watery, with a cherry and malt flavor. A bit of chocolate and also a bit of bitter, overall sweet. Mouth feel is full but the body is watery and sweet with a tinge of sour.

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%

A - In a dimly lit bar this brew appears as an opaque void of darkness; though not cloudy or completely opaque when exposed to light. A fair amount of carbonation and a non-existent head.

S - Full-bodied and complex. Although a oatmeal stout, it has some characteristics of a cream stout- namely the sweetness. It contains malty, chocolaty (mocha), and somewhat smoky notes.

T - Strong, and full-bodied. Mocha and cream come through strong, finishing like a powerful black coffee. The aftertaste is a bit lingering, but for a brew of this nature its to be expected.

M - A good amount of carbonation, and somewhat smooth. The brew is a bit sticky. As I've said, the aftertaste is a bit lingering.

D - Not very- this is a meal of a beer. I can't see having many of these during a session. Without any doubt I would defiantly have this beer again, but sparingly and in moderation.

Its a good beer to be sure, but its a little pricey. I'm looking forward to using this beer as a standard to measure Youngs Oatmeal Stout against.

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

Nice dark brown, nearly opaque color. Head is steady, tan in color. A slight skunky smell taints the aroma. The skunk dissipates (or the senses acclimatize), but the nose is faint. Only with a vigorous swirl is there any aroma generated. Sweetish oatmeal and some chocolate notes are detected. Many of the characteristics of the aroma are noted in the taste and are a bit more pronounced. Body is light, mouthfeel smooth and drinkable. A slightly above average oatmeal stout IMHO.

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Dark brown with a light brown, foamy head that stays through the entire pint and leaves a nice lacing.

Smells malty with caramel notes and a slight coffee hint. Pleasant with no harsh notes at all.

Tastes bitter at first, but mellows with the second sip. Has a defined caramel flavor which is pretty nice. That coffee I smelled comes back at the end to give the beer a nice finish.

Mouthfeel is nothing special. I expected it to have a little more body and be creamier, but it's watery.

Overall, this is a nice oatmeal stout, sweeter than a lot of oatmeal stouts I've had. I could enjoy another one of these.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Nothing special although I did enjoy it. Not too thick and rich tasting. For the price, I need more kick (ABV). There are better values with better taste out there like the sam adams imperial oatmeal stout. Not sorry I bought it but I won't do it again.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

poured from 335ml bottle into a pint glass.

A - dark brown with a tan head on top.
S - a bit sweet with the oat present as well.
T - nice, rich flavor. a bit of mocha.
M - very smooth.
D - it's not one of my favorites, but i will definitely enjoy it again. a really good oatmeal stout.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I must have walked passed this stuff a million times between all of the beer runs I have been on. The gold leaf cap and neck always catch my eye. Maybe because because of price or lack of interest by the group I'm usually with I never have had a chance to bring a bottle back to my place. I finally picked one up... here it goes...

A- Dark as dark can be, 2 finger head with creamy body that stuck around for quite a while and left a hearty lacing as it settled.

S- Chocolate, malt, toast (kinda bready but more toasted than yeast bread scent)

T- Honestly a little disappointed at the overall flavor, I'm tasting chocolate, cream, and something a little sour/sweet like ripe fruit. I can't pick up any of the "oatmeal" but I'm not entirely sure how much flavor of oat should actually be present in this beer. An average stout for taste

M- I have to say that this beer feels great in the mouth. Perfect body and carbonation and a warming feel not from the alcohol but from the rich texture of the beer itself. I really wish the flavors were a little more palatable to match the mouthfeel.

D- Average, mouthfeel is great but with its heavier qualities I might be taking a breather before I drink any in a session, one was like a liquid dessert

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a dark brown/black, little carbonation, small head out of a clear bottle. Not much lacing. Scents of malt, toffee/caramel sweetness, smells stronger than it's ABV. Taste's a little sour and finishes a little dry. Medium body. At 5% ABV you could drink a few, a good session brew. The clear bottle will keep me away from this brew, not telling how long it's been sitting there.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

APPEARANCE: A foam that gives way to a thin layer of light ivory persistent. Foam marks are retained almost from the height reached by the serving. Black as coal. Nothing maroon or reddish tones. AROMA: It has very defined or intense odors. TASTE: Very smooth and creamy, a little sweet, no conflict and, therefore, quite bland. After a few minutes, it leaves a sour taste that is not unpleasant. Despite being an oatmeal stout, I notice no difference with respect to that. Overall rating: Not as good as they say. I thought a beer right, but nothing more. Perfect for those who do not want the ales or protruding tastes or smells of that love or hate. Not worth the expense: 2.95 euros.

Poured into tulip

This beer pours jet black, smells of malt and hops. There is some oatmeal. The taste is at first very bready, then there is a semi-sweet finish. Head retention is not that good, which surprised me. Maybe I had an expired bottle, but I did not see any clues to freshness. No expiration or freshness dates were given.

I may have this again.

3.49/5  rDev -16.9%

Bought at a D`Agostino`s grocery store in Westchester, New NY.
The appearance is dark with a thin head.
The smell is rich, similar to dark chocolate.
The taste is sweet, a hint of cinnamon. with the flavor of a very rich stout to it. The mouthfeel is of cinnamon and brown sugar, again very rich.
Drinkability is decent on this, but it is rich, that I could never conceive of drinking more than two of these oatmeal stouts in one evening.

3.49/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: It has a very dark black/brown body with a mocha one finger head that lingers.

S: Burt grains are dominate here. Heavy smoke and roast with some sweet toffee in the background.

T: Similar to Black Butte Porter. There is a roast flavor that dominates the beer. Very little chocolate and coffee in the background.

M: A little thin on the body for a stout but great carbonation.

O: Overhyped. It is a good beer just like black butte porter is a good beer, but this is not worth seeking out.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Looks dark brown-black in the glass. Not much head, but it's khaki colored.

S: Roast and the typical oaty notes found in oatmeal stouts.

T: Light roast, oats, and a hint of an odd wine-like flavor. Mild tasting overall.

M: Smooth, but kind of light for my tastes on an oatmeal stout.

O: I think there was a time when this was a comparatively great beer, but I don't think it measures up to today's stouts. I hate to rip on a classic, but there are so many better American stouts out there for better prices.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Dark black body, only some light shines through the edges of the glass. Head is thin, mocha coloured. Leaves very little lacing and retention is alright.

S: Well blended aroma of milk chocolate and roasted malts.

T: Not as strong as the aroma, but full of milk chocolate, roasted malts and grainy hops.

M: Very thin, water like texture. There is medium-low carbonation. I was expecting this to be a thicker texture and feel due to the oats, but I don't notice it.

O: I was expecting much more out of this stout due to the great reviews. It's not bad, but just not as good as I was expecting. Would enjoy the texture to be thicker.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Dark as crud colour with tan creamy head, that takes it's time lacing to the side.

Smell is not too strong but is pleasant. Dark molasses sweetness with earthy aromas.

The taste is malty, molasses sweet, with coffee like bitterness. An earthy oatness comes afterwards. Deep, rich, and bitter sweet.

Cola-like body leaves flavours lingering in your mouth. A bit sticky, but the taste makes you want to keep it on your taste buds as long as possible.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

550ml bottle.Poured into A Founders snifter at about 55 degrees.

A. Pours a dark brown into the glass,once poured body turns black,no light shines through.Nice inch and a half tan head that recedes down to a nice cap. Leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass.

S. Smells of sweet oatmeal and hints cherries and maple syrup.

T. First I get roasted malts and some coffee followed by the sweet oats,ends with some hop bitterness to balence things out a bit.

M. Kind of on the thin side,very well carbonated.Bitter on the pallet ends a sweet dry finish.

Overall nice example of an oatmeal stout,my only complaint is that the mouthfeel is pretty thin.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a wine glass 0n a Tuesday evening in November at sea level in the eastern time zone and shared with a female red head ripe with scorn from a mid level altercation we had earlier in the evening but had been resolved minutes before tasting..

Enjoyed with some French Brie, baguette, and a Johnsonville Summer Sausage with a post apocalypse expiration date..

The appearance of this beer was quite lovely.. A dark chocolate/ruby color when held to light topped by a thin toddler pinkie head that disipates rather quickly.

Nice , mild nose with cherry, chocolate, oatmeal, and chocolate syrup.

The flavor was lighter than expected. Well balanced, a bit sour on the back of the tongue that rounded out with a mild oatmeal. I guess I was hoping for a more full bodied taste with a bit more of an oatmeal presence. A good well balanced brew though.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler... Very dark color, almost appears black. Almost no light can be seen through it when held up to one. Small head that leaves nice lacing after every sip

S- Has a sweet malty smell... not overpowering

T- Has a toasty stout taste, but seems pretty dry tasting compared to other oatmeal stouts

M- Little watered down in my opinion, and over carbonated for a stout

D- Good enough to drink a bunch, but have had better

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%

This was a good beer, but nothing spectacular. Poured to a deep black with tan head that faded quickly. Deccent lacing as I drank. Aroma was hints of chocolate, but faint. I enjoyed the flavor, especially at mid-glass, but the body seemed light, and slightly watery. Had an okay finish, but nothing to write home about. Enjoyed the SS Taddy Porter and Impy Stout more.

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 355mL bottle into a footed "stout glass."

Appearance- Big tan head that lasts a long time. Sparse lacing. Cloudy black with a hint of ruby. Can't see through without a light.

Aroma- Molasses and cookie. A bit of roastiness. Smells sweeter than it finishes.

Taste- Earthy choc, coffee-like, slightly sweet but finishes dry. Nice malt flavor. Something there as well that I just don't have the vocab to describe.

Mouthfeel- Creamy texture, medium body.

Enjoyable, but not remarkable. I was expecting more maybe because this one's considered a benchmark.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)