Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,995 | Reviews: 2,205

1.08/5  rDev -74.3%

1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

Overly malty with a burnt taste. I would also expect (and hope) that an oatmeal stout would be very smooth. This beer could barely be described as smooth, it also has a harsh finish that you would expect from a bitter pale ale. Stouts should be easy to drink in my opinion. There is a faint taste of chocolate.

1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

1.89/5  rDev -55.1%

I purchased this brew with high expections and was left very disappointed. Poured a nice dark brown with a 2 inch light brown head. However, that was the nice part. The aroma was a stale coffee and strange scent of perfume. The taste was a long acidic and of sour milk maybe astringent. I tend to drink want I start but not this time. Maybe I purchased a bad brew but, I do not think I'll be buying another one.

2.04/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

2.18/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured a deep amber color with a small creamy head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing. Aroma was of toasted malts, mouthfeel was bland & light in carbonation. Taste was bland as well.....nothing but malts with an unpleasant aftertaste. I love oatmeal stouts but i couldnt even finish this one. Had to force down the half of a pint i actually was able to drink. Wouldn't seek it out again nor drink it if it was offered to me for free. Highly disappointed.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)