2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Reviews: 2089

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,919 | Reviews: 2,089 | Show All Ratings:
GimpyCane

1.88/5  rDev -55.5%

I purchased this brew with high expections and was left very disappointed. Poured a nice dark brown with a 2 inch light brown head. However, that was the nice part. The aroma was a stale coffee and strange scent of perfume. The taste was a long acidic and of sour milk maybe astringent. I tend to drink want I start but not this time. Maybe I purchased a bad brew but, I do not think I'll be buying another one.

04-16-2007 00:02:46 | More by GimpyCane
BigMike

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

12-31-2009 02:01:31 | More by BigMike
waughbrew

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery.

11-27-2003 03:27:47 | More by waughbrew
IntriqKen

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

I know...this is a world class rated beer.
And I like...no LOVE oatmeal stouts.
This was my second bottle of this brew and I wasn't impressed. I may be spoiled with more American versions of Oatmeals out there.
Poured a deep, deep amber black with a small cream head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing.
Aroma was of sweet toasted or burnt malts...I missed smelling any chocolates or coffee.
Mouthfeel was thin and weak to me....very light in carbonation.
Taste was sort of bland...sweet malt but nothing fresh or standoffish...again, no chocolates or coffee and an unpleasant aftertaste..possibly old bottles, although my tastings have been months apart and from different sources.
Slightly sweet aftertaste with no noticable alcohol burn.
I could have finished the bottle but simply didn't want to. Moved on to a Black Hart stout and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

03-24-2006 07:45:37 | More by IntriqKen
BeerManDan

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

One was enough. Just wasn't my cup of tea. A bit pricy for an average stout. Although it was easy to drink, it lacked any kind of lingering aftertaste. Tried it again, and haven't changed my mind one bit. Maybe a little. Liked it less than the first time. After tasting "Storm King" I dropped my rating of this beer another point in taste!

06-19-2002 13:46:33 | More by BeerManDan
bubrewer

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Although Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is supposed to be one of the classic stouts and a standard of the style, I found this one to be a most unpleasant experience.

The pour looked fine - color and and carbonation all seemed appropriate. Things went ugly from there, though.

The aroma was big -- and sour. Terms like waxy, plasticy, and "smells like Murphy's Oil Soap" flew around the table.

Thin body and soapy flavor rounded out this nasty glass.

Fully 3/4 of the people in the party said this stuff is nasty and NOT recommended. 1/4 liked it well enough and would try it again.

All I can figure from this is that this 6pack must have been mistreated, I will try again, from a different retailer, and see if I see things differently next time, but this one was nasty.

08-25-2005 04:26:04 | More by bubrewer
BreadSlicer

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Got the 19oz? bottle that I never poured out into a glass so I can't really speak to the appearance.

The smell was not what I expected. I expected a more oatmeal-centric smell but the pungent hops overpowered. You can definitely smell a healthy dose of barley as well but I didn't really pick up on anything else which was quite surprising

The taste to me was underwhelming especially for such a highly rated stout. I prefer complex and balanced stouts (this one is a bit on the hoppy side) that leave you with different layers of taste form inception to aftertaste. I love tasting chocolate/coffee/fruits/etc in a stout and this had none of that. I personally found this stout quite one dimensional and boring.

Mouthfeel was nothing special.

It's not a bad stout so I rated drinkability slightly higher but since I specifically tried it after seeing the 90 it scored here I was left scratching my head on this one.

07-16-2007 03:10:50 | More by BreadSlicer
palma

2.35/5  rDev -44.3%

Outstanding my ass!

Appearance: Aggressive pour produced almost no head whatsoever. Pitch black body. Not impressed.

Nose: An off moldy aroma. Big time raisin.

Taste: Acidic, fruity. raisin. Day-old coffee. Sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Way over carbonated. Harsh finish. This is an oatmeal stout. It should be smooth, but it's not.

This beer was tough to get down. Actually, I didn’t even finish the bottle. Based on other BA reviews, I'm assuming this was not the freshest of bottles. However, I'm reviewing this beer as is since Samuel Smith makes no attempt to ensure the freshness of their beer (i.e. clear bottles, no born-on/exp date).

11-25-2005 09:55:42 | More by palma
goschool

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

This is the legendary Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It's got a score 91, outstanding, currently. So what's not to like? It looks good with a black body topped by a brownish head. It smells okay but the taste is a tremendous disappointment. Think a few onces of coffee with chocolate syrup added to a shaken bottle of Perrier.

I've had this before and I remember enjoying it, so this bottle could have been treated poorly, but the brewery uses clear bottles so they are certainly not the victim here. I will most likely try another bottle in the future (not the near future) with hopes for the best.

10-04-2005 05:16:42 | More by goschool
evanackerman

2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

I was really surprised not to like this beer, after all the hype it gets on this site and the fact that i usually love oatmeal stouts. but this was just way too sweet and had a very off flavor to me, also the mouthfeel was too thin for the style i thought, one of my least favorite stouts to date. i guess a lot of people disagree with me on this one but i just didn't care for it.

10-29-2005 18:24:43 | More by evanackerman
beervana1858

Oregon

2.45/5  rDev -41.9%

I had pretty high expectations for this beer and after the first taste I thought it would be a beer that I would buy again. About halfway through however, there was an off flavor of sorts which could only be compared to rotting fruit. I did finish it but I was tempted to pour it out. Perhaps the fact that I spent $3.99 on it kept me from not finishing it. Overall, a very disappointing purchase.

11-12-2009 07:03:55 | More by beervana1858
bobhits

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

Burnt oatmeal malt smell that's so damn common with this style. It doesn't really hit that coffee or chocolate note imo that many claim. I just get burnt malt and a sweet note that well reminds me of an oat meal stout. Clearly I don't eat enough different foods for describing things other than beer.

Big pillowy light tan head. Dark brown body that turns opaque in the glass. Good but not grate lacing, but at this abv what more can you ask?

Interesting example of the style. Opens with a very limited burnt flavor that comes out somewhat dark chocolate like. Then instantly turns overly sweet and finishes somewhat quickly thanks to an oat like flavor. Boring? You bet!

Really creamy and nice mouth feel.

I'm bored. I've had better oatmeal stouts. I've had better porters. I could use some hops or just a bit more bitter in anyway. It's too sweet. It isn't overly strong. This is really that well thought of? I had an Edmund Fitzgerald tonight on draft...5.5% alcohol and 10x more flavor and complexity than this beer could ever hope for. Again just don't get it. That said no alcohol impact here. It's a touch too thick to really drink much of and I'm not sure that I'd call this a sipper.

10-09-2010 21:10:24 | More by bobhits
StoutHunter

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

This bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout came in their holiday pack for $11.99 at Meijers. So far I haven't been impressed with the other two beers from the holiday pack so I don't know what to expect from this Oatmeal Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 550ml foiled bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and almost exactly the same as their Nut Brown Ale, it's very plain looking. It poured a nice black color that has a little ruby red tint to it when held to the light and it had four fingers worth of fluffy light brown head that died down to a thick layer that left some nice lacing. This is a pretty good looking Oatmeal Stout.

S- Unfortunately this beer has a similar aroma to the other two beer. It starts off with that supper sweet malt aroma that smells like a mixture of sweet sherry and apple juice, I do not like this aroma at all. I can pick up a slight amount of roast in the aroma but other than that it is pretty identical to other beers, what a disappointment.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma with that high amount of sweet malts being the most dominating flavor in the taste. It has a high amount of medium sweetness along with a noticeable metallic taste. I do pick up some roasty flavors and a little bit of dark chocolate, but they are pretty light and are overpowered by the sweet malts. The finish has a low amount of bitterness and a sweet and roasty after taste, the roast shows up more in the aftertaste then it does in the initial flavor. I'm not impressed by the flavor of this beer.

M- Slightly smooth and cream with a medium body and a high amount of medium carbonation. The body could be thicker, it feels a little watery.

Overall I was unimpressed with this beer and I thought it was a bellow average Oatmeal Stout. What really hurt this beer was the fact that it kept that same super sweet malt profile that the other two beers had and just as it did in those beers it overpowers the flavors that define the style, in this case it overpowered the nice roasty and chocolate flavors that should be shining through. This one is a little easier to drink than the other two but it still doesn't have good drinkability, I wouldn't want more then one glass of this, the malt profile is a turn off and it doesn't hold my attention. What I liked most about this beer was the look, it looked pretty spot on for an Oatmeal Stout and it had very good head retention. What I liked least about this beer was the nasty overly sweet malt profile that all the beers in the holiday pack had, it overpowered the nice flavors that should be the highlight of this beer, it made for a pretty disappointing aroma and taste. I won't be buying this beer again or their Holiday pack, all the beers had the same bad malt profile. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who likes oatmeal stouts, it is pretty easy to find one that it much better then this beer. This beer was a let down and doesn't compare to the American Oatmeal Stouts I have tried, they are on an entirely different level. I was pretty let down with this beer and their holiday pack, after looking at the ratings I figured these would all be solid beers, but they weren't so either I hate the malt profile that they use in their beers, or I got some of last years holiday pack but with no dating I can't be sure and I hold that against them. The best thing from this holiday pack was the glass. This is the worst Oatmeal Stout I have had to date and so far I am not a fan of this brewery, I will be very reluctant to buy another beer from them, so far one of my least favorite brewerys.

12-08-2011 05:07:58 | More by StoutHunter
bkilpatr

Oregon

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a pint glass. 01/24/09.

Pours nearly pitch black with almost two fingers of light tan head. The head slowly dropped to a thin layer, good retention. Aroma is of dark toasted malt and light milk chocolate.

Taste starts with roasted malt and is heavy with chocolate flavors. Slightly acidic quality, and an earthy or herbal taste. Some coffee and finishes with heavy cola-like flavors. Not entirely pleasant. Feel starts smooth and creamy, then hits with prickly carbonation. Drinkability is decent. It's not too heavy, but the acidic/cola-likeness of it doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, not something I'd seek out again anytime soon. Honestly it feels more like I'm drinking soda instead of beer. I'm just not impressed by this.

01-25-2009 04:23:56 | More by bkilpatr
Dave2010

Japan

2.65/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For an Oatmeal Stout I was quite disappointed in this beer. Why would you even make an Oatmeal Stout with only a 5% alcohol content? I won't say it's a bad beer, but why it gets such high ratings on here, I cannot understand why. It has high carbonation which is ok, but it lacks kick or punch that good oatmeal stouts have. The head was not very dark, so it just seemed weird to have such a dark beer with a light head. Some people might enjoy this beer and I think those that do do not like strong tasting beers. If you are looking for a step up from a Guinness beer this might be for you, but if you like strong intense beers, which I expect from an Oatmeal stout, this beer isn't for you.

12-17-2013 11:22:23 | More by Dave2010
dren

Indiana

2.68/5  rDev -36.5%

The pour was the best thing about this beer. Looked dark and creamy with a nice head. It smells like chocolate, coffee, smoke, and some sweetness. The taste wasn't quite what I was expecting. It tasted mainly of sweet smokey coffee with the smoke standing out the most, then a watery finish. The beer was somewhat smooth going down physically but the flavor was just over powered by smoke. The mouth feel was more medium bodied. The flavor is there but the beer just seems too watered down. Most of Sam Smith beers have this characteristic to me. This would be a good beer to cook with, but I'd pass on another chance to drink one.

05-02-2007 11:13:20 | More by dren
Talisker

2.7/5  rDev -36%

I wanted to love this one - sweet stouts are among my favorites. And I was delighted to find a Samuel Smith in a brown bottle - no clear glass here. But my beer was still either oxidized or just not a great sample.

Pours a deep black with a frothy deep brown head, dissipates quickly, but leaves about half a finger on top throughout the drink. Smells a rich malt, hints of chocolate, toffee, malt - and a tiny perfect hint of English hops. But dominated by a soapy oxidized/lightstruck character - damn it!

Unfortunately the taste is muted. Distant echoes of rich malt and chocolate, but oxidation continues from the nose. Very dry, even tannic, through the middle and finish - overly so, almost taking the moisture out of my mouth. Subsequent drinks are not easy to take.

A style I love, and a brewery I want to enjoy - but for English Oatmeal Stouts I'm sticking with Young's. This one keeps me batting close to .000 on Samuel Smith in bottles.

02-12-2007 03:41:36 | More by Talisker
tbeck

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

When poured it was very dark in color with an off-white head. A lot of carbonation in the beer, which was also tasted. Slight laciness on the sides. Not much in the smell department. Slight fruity smell after a couple of tries. Mouthfeel was good, like a stout should. Smooth but one-dimensional. The taste was bland with an aftertaste of fruit. Not very complex. The beer did not sit very heavy for a stout. Defintely not a session beer.

06-11-2008 04:17:52 | More by tbeck
blackearth

2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured an extremely black body with a thick khaki colored head. Aroma was roasted malts and I detected wet cardboard too. Mouthfeel was full bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth. The flavor is very different, it reminds me of soil - the smell translated to taste of course. I may be a beer nerd, but no one has ever made me eat dirt. This cardboard aroma and soil flavor lead me to believe this bottle is old or infected, I'm not really sure. Too bad because I really like oatmeal stout and WANT to like this one, but it wasn't good.

11-05-2009 00:14:43 | More by blackearth
jeffjfindley

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

Appearance: After the demise of the 3 second head, it looked like a cup of coffee in a pint glass.

Smell: Molasses, English malts & cold coffee.

Taste: Despite the unthikably hard water, there is a slight improvement on the smell. A little molasses is present. The aftertaste is a little smoky. The taste is consitent from start to finish.

Mouthfeel: Utterly unremarkable.

Drinkability: The most overrated beer on this website, and perhaps the world.This posesses all the bad qualities of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock, but lacks the charm. Ehh.

11-08-2006 06:02:10 | More by jeffjfindley
icetraxx

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

A: Pours a dark dark, almost black, with opaque brown highlights when the light hits it. A creamy four finger head is produced that fizzles down to a 1/2 finger extra creamy head. Lacing and head retention is only moderate for this stout, I feel a strong head is a must for any type of stout.

S: Smells like marsala wine with roasted malt, caramel, and a dollop of dark chocolate.

T: Tastes exactly like it smells, roasted malt, blackstrap molasses (yuck), sweet malt in general, marsala wine (if you have tasted marsala before you know exactly what I am talking about), some chocolate, dark fruits, and a little less caramel than the smell suggests. There is the slightest suggestion of the bitterness of hops, as well as a trace of their fruitiness, but not quite enough to balance out the intense sweetness. For me the sweetness is a bit cloying, much sweeter than any sweet stout I've ever had let alone an oatmeal stout. The oatmeal flavor seems lost to me. There is a hint of coffee on the finish. There is sweetness everywhere, and it builds. This is a beer, where is the bitter?

M: Smooth and creamy, the oatmeal starch coats your tongue nicely. Slightly over-carbonated, but generally this is as good as any stout can really get. The oatmeal really does add nice and smooth body that needs to be tasted to be believed.

D: For me, terribly low due to the cloying sweetness. I would like to see more bittering hops to mute the sweetness of the additional oatmeal. If you can tolerate sweet beers, I bet you could drink many of these.

O: I'm no hop head, but this beer is so sweet I can't enjoy it at all. Maybe this style isn't for me. I don't think I can finish it, grrr...

EDIT: What a sweet mess, down the drain it goes... Stone's IPA is going to clear my palate.

01-26-2010 04:00:31 | More by icetraxx
BierReise

2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

Ok, Now i'm finished with beer in clear glass. This one was slightly skunked as well. I'll never make another attempt at this. Looks nice, dark with foamy head. Aroma is sadly tainted. Same with flavor, although not as bad as the nutbrown I had earler. Good mouthfeel and probably a good hopped stout. Maybe I'll plan a trip to England and try this one. On draught.

06-09-2003 16:20:40 | More by BierReise
D11

2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

from bottle into tulip

A- pours black with a two finger cocoa head that doesnt last long

S- yeast, licorice, some banana and some coffee

T- yeast, some coffee and banana

M- somewhat thin despite appearance. felt a bit runny imo

O- i was pretty much very dissapointed with this brew. it was my first oatmeal stout and i was not impressed. ive heard a lot on this site about the style and was eager to try one(not a lot of variety in my area).. but you get what you pay for, and this was rather cheap. im hoping maybe it was a 'not so good' bottle or that other oatmeal stouts will taste better. there really wasnt much i liked about it other than the appearance.

01-05-2012 07:00:35 | More by D11
jcalabre

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

I sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes, knowing that I am going quite a bit against the grain with my opinion on this beer.
I didn't detect much aroma in this beer. it has a fairly benign taste. Not bad, but nothing special. I'll have to rerate this one at some point

07-26-2003 14:57:04 | More by jcalabre
JackTheRipper

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights. Head was almost non existant. No lacing.

S: Right out of the bottle I got a weird skunky smell that went away after it warmed up to almost room temp. Bitter coffee smells with some malty undertones. Can't get that funk out of my nose, though.

T: Hoppy, more hoppy than I would have expected. Solid malt base. Loads of bitter coffee here.

M: Even though this looked flat, it was carbonated quite nicely. Very full in body. Low alcoholic warmth.

D&N: I had this one more than a decade ago on tap in Spain, this beer isn't even close to what it could be. I can't shake the skunkiness I smelled when I first opened this one. No head, average tastes, Not something I'd recommend.

05-25-2005 05:10:49 | More by JackTheRipper
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)