Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

Hopbomber, Jul 29, 2013

jirons88, Jun 26, 2014

StrayteEDGE, Sep 05, 2014

Gcoudz588, Jul 19, 2012
1.88/5  rDev -55.5%

I purchased this brew with high expections and was left very disappointed. Poured a nice dark brown with a 2 inch light brown head. However, that was the nice part. The aroma was a stale coffee and strange scent of perfume. The taste was a long acidic and of sour milk maybe astringent. I tend to drink want I start but not this time. Maybe I purchased a bad brew but, I do not think I'll be buying another one.

GimpyCane, Apr 16, 2007

gtown_operator, Mar 10, 2012

trioxin, May 05, 2012

Jameswoody, Dec 27, 2012

bastu, Mar 20, 2012

Bluecane, Apr 21, 2013

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

BigMike, Dec 31, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

I know...this is a world class rated beer.
And I like...no LOVE oatmeal stouts.
This was my second bottle of this brew and I wasn't impressed. I may be spoiled with more American versions of Oatmeals out there.
Poured a deep, deep amber black with a small cream head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing.
Aroma was of sweet toasted or burnt malts...I missed smelling any chocolates or coffee.
Mouthfeel was thin and weak to me....very light in carbonation.
Taste was sort of bland...sweet malt but nothing fresh or standoffish...again, no chocolates or coffee and an unpleasant aftertaste..possibly old bottles, although my tastings have been months apart and from different sources.
Slightly sweet aftertaste with no noticable alcohol burn.
I could have finished the bottle but simply didn't want to. Moved on to a Black Hart stout and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

IntriqKen, Mar 24, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery.

waughbrew, Nov 27, 2003
2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Although Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is supposed to be one of the classic stouts and a standard of the style, I found this one to be a most unpleasant experience.

The pour looked fine - color and and carbonation all seemed appropriate. Things went ugly from there, though.

The aroma was big -- and sour. Terms like waxy, plasticy, and "smells like Murphy's Oil Soap" flew around the table.

Thin body and soapy flavor rounded out this nasty glass.

Fully 3/4 of the people in the party said this stuff is nasty and NOT recommended. 1/4 liked it well enough and would try it again.

All I can figure from this is that this 6pack must have been mistreated, I will try again, from a different retailer, and see if I see things differently next time, but this one was nasty.

bubrewer, Aug 25, 2005

McNazz, May 19, 2014

JLapadura, Mar 30, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Got the 19oz? bottle that I never poured out into a glass so I can't really speak to the appearance.

The smell was not what I expected. I expected a more oatmeal-centric smell but the pungent hops overpowered. You can definitely smell a healthy dose of barley as well but I didn't really pick up on anything else which was quite surprising

The taste to me was underwhelming especially for such a highly rated stout. I prefer complex and balanced stouts (this one is a bit on the hoppy side) that leave you with different layers of taste form inception to aftertaste. I love tasting chocolate/coffee/fruits/etc in a stout and this had none of that. I personally found this stout quite one dimensional and boring.

Mouthfeel was nothing special.

It's not a bad stout so I rated drinkability slightly higher but since I specifically tried it after seeing the 90 it scored here I was left scratching my head on this one.

BreadSlicer, Jul 16, 2007
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)