Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
gtown_operator

03-20-2012 03:29:02 | More by bastu
Bluecane

04-21-2013 06:17:26 | More by Bluecane
BigMike

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

12-31-2009 02:01:31 | More by BigMike
IntriqKen

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

I know...this is a world class rated beer.
And I like...no LOVE oatmeal stouts.
This was my second bottle of this brew and I wasn't impressed. I may be spoiled with more American versions of Oatmeals out there.
Poured a deep, deep amber black with a small cream head that disappeared quickly to a fine lacing.
Aroma was of sweet toasted or burnt malts...I missed smelling any chocolates or coffee.
Mouthfeel was thin and weak to me....very light in carbonation.
Taste was sort of bland...sweet malt but nothing fresh or standoffish...again, no chocolates or coffee and an unpleasant aftertaste..possibly old bottles, although my tastings have been months apart and from different sources.
Slightly sweet aftertaste with no noticable alcohol burn.
I could have finished the bottle but simply didn't want to. Moved on to a Black Hart stout and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

03-24-2006 07:45:37 | More by IntriqKen
waughbrew

2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery.

11-27-2003 03:27:47 | More by waughbrew
bubrewer

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Although Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is supposed to be one of the classic stouts and a standard of the style, I found this one to be a most unpleasant experience.

The pour looked fine - color and and carbonation all seemed appropriate. Things went ugly from there, though.

The aroma was big -- and sour. Terms like waxy, plasticy, and "smells like Murphy's Oil Soap" flew around the table.

Thin body and soapy flavor rounded out this nasty glass.

Fully 3/4 of the people in the party said this stuff is nasty and NOT recommended. 1/4 liked it well enough and would try it again.

All I can figure from this is that this 6pack must have been mistreated, I will try again, from a different retailer, and see if I see things differently next time, but this one was nasty.

08-25-2005 04:26:04 | More by bubrewer

03-30-2012 15:57:58 | More by JLapadura
BreadSlicer

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Got the 19oz? bottle that I never poured out into a glass so I can't really speak to the appearance.

The smell was not what I expected. I expected a more oatmeal-centric smell but the pungent hops overpowered. You can definitely smell a healthy dose of barley as well but I didn't really pick up on anything else which was quite surprising

The taste to me was underwhelming especially for such a highly rated stout. I prefer complex and balanced stouts (this one is a bit on the hoppy side) that leave you with different layers of taste form inception to aftertaste. I love tasting chocolate/coffee/fruits/etc in a stout and this had none of that. I personally found this stout quite one dimensional and boring.

Mouthfeel was nothing special.

It's not a bad stout so I rated drinkability slightly higher but since I specifically tried it after seeing the 90 it scored here I was left scratching my head on this one.

07-16-2007 03:10:50 | More by BreadSlicer
BeerManDan

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

One was enough. Just wasn't my cup of tea. A bit pricy for an average stout. Although it was easy to drink, it lacked any kind of lingering aftertaste. Tried it again, and haven't changed my mind one bit. Maybe a little. Liked it less than the first time. After tasting "Storm King" I dropped my rating of this beer another point in taste!

06-19-2002 13:46:33 | More by BeerManDan
palma

2.35/5  rDev -44.3%

Outstanding my ass!

Appearance: Aggressive pour produced almost no head whatsoever. Pitch black body. Not impressed.

Nose: An off moldy aroma. Big time raisin.

Taste: Acidic, fruity. raisin. Day-old coffee. Sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Way over carbonated. Harsh finish. This is an oatmeal stout. It should be smooth, but it's not.

This beer was tough to get down. Actually, I didn’t even finish the bottle. Based on other BA reviews, I'm assuming this was not the freshest of bottles. However, I'm reviewing this beer as is since Samuel Smith makes no attempt to ensure the freshness of their beer (i.e. clear bottles, no born-on/exp date).

11-25-2005 09:55:42 | More by palma
goschool

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

This is the legendary Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It's got a score 91, outstanding, currently. So what's not to like? It looks good with a black body topped by a brownish head. It smells okay but the taste is a tremendous disappointment. Think a few onces of coffee with chocolate syrup added to a shaken bottle of Perrier.

I've had this before and I remember enjoying it, so this bottle could have been treated poorly, but the brewery uses clear bottles so they are certainly not the victim here. I will most likely try another bottle in the future (not the near future) with hopes for the best.

10-04-2005 05:16:42 | More by goschool
evanackerman

2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

I was really surprised not to like this beer, after all the hype it gets on this site and the fact that i usually love oatmeal stouts. but this was just way too sweet and had a very off flavor to me, also the mouthfeel was too thin for the style i thought, one of my least favorite stouts to date. i guess a lot of people disagree with me on this one but i just didn't care for it.

10-29-2005 18:24:43 | More by evanackerman
beervana1858

Oregon

2.45/5  rDev -41.9%

I had pretty high expectations for this beer and after the first taste I thought it would be a beer that I would buy again. About halfway through however, there was an off flavor of sorts which could only be compared to rotting fruit. I did finish it but I was tempted to pour it out. Perhaps the fact that I spent $3.99 on it kept me from not finishing it. Overall, a very disappointing purchase.

11-12-2009 07:03:55 | More by beervana1858
bobhits

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

Burnt oatmeal malt smell that's so damn common with this style. It doesn't really hit that coffee or chocolate note imo that many claim. I just get burnt malt and a sweet note that well reminds me of an oat meal stout. Clearly I don't eat enough different foods for describing things other than beer.

Big pillowy light tan head. Dark brown body that turns opaque in the glass. Good but not grate lacing, but at this abv what more can you ask?

Interesting example of the style. Opens with a very limited burnt flavor that comes out somewhat dark chocolate like. Then instantly turns overly sweet and finishes somewhat quickly thanks to an oat like flavor. Boring? You bet!

Really creamy and nice mouth feel.

I'm bored. I've had better oatmeal stouts. I've had better porters. I could use some hops or just a bit more bitter in anyway. It's too sweet. It isn't overly strong. This is really that well thought of? I had an Edmund Fitzgerald tonight on draft...5.5% alcohol and 10x more flavor and complexity than this beer could ever hope for. Again just don't get it. That said no alcohol impact here. It's a touch too thick to really drink much of and I'm not sure that I'd call this a sipper.

10-09-2010 21:10:24 | More by bobhits

p-wagz

04-05-2014 02:34:21 | More by p-wagz
LaneMeyer

07-21-2013 09:08:28 | More by LaneMeyer
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)