Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,202 | Hads: 6,268
2.72/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance: After the demise of the 3 second head, it looked like a cup of coffee in a pint glass.

Smell: Molasses, English malts & cold coffee.

Taste: Despite the unthikably hard water, there is a slight improvement on the smell. A little molasses is present. The aftertaste is a little smoky. The taste is consitent from start to finish.

Mouthfeel: Utterly unremarkable.

Drinkability: The most overrated beer on this website, and perhaps the world.This posesses all the bad qualities of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock, but lacks the charm. Ehh.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

I sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes, knowing that I am going quite a bit against the grain with my opinion on this beer.
I didn't detect much aroma in this beer. it has a fairly benign taste. Not bad, but nothing special. I'll have to rerate this one at some point

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

When poured it was very dark in color with an off-white head. A lot of carbonation in the beer, which was also tasted. Slight laciness on the sides. Not much in the smell department. Slight fruity smell after a couple of tries. Mouthfeel was good, like a stout should. Smooth but one-dimensional. The taste was bland with an aftertaste of fruit. Not very complex. The beer did not sit very heavy for a stout. Defintely not a session beer.

2.77/5  rDev -34%

A: Dark brown with ruby highlights. Head was almost non existant. No lacing.

S: Right out of the bottle I got a weird skunky smell that went away after it warmed up to almost room temp. Bitter coffee smells with some malty undertones. Can't get that funk out of my nose, though.

T: Hoppy, more hoppy than I would have expected. Solid malt base. Loads of bitter coffee here.

M: Even though this looked flat, it was carbonated quite nicely. Very full in body. Low alcoholic warmth.

D&N: I had this one more than a decade ago on tap in Spain, this beer isn't even close to what it could be. I can't shake the skunkiness I smelled when I first opened this one. No head, average tastes, Not something I'd recommend.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

$2.50 for a bottle.

I was excited about trying this too, but ended up being disappointed. The smell was strong of vinegar and slight fruit (cherries) behind it. Taste was good, very complex for a stout, but too influence by the smell. Maybe another bad bottle for me, I don't know. There are better stouts out there, at better prices.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Ok, Now i'm finished with beer in clear glass. This one was slightly skunked as well. I'll never make another attempt at this. Looks nice, dark with foamy head. Aroma is sadly tainted. Same with flavor, although not as bad as the nutbrown I had earler. Good mouthfeel and probably a good hopped stout. Maybe I'll plan a trip to England and try this one. On draught.

2.81/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured an extremely black body with a thick khaki colored head. Aroma was roasted malts and I detected wet cardboard too. Mouthfeel was full bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth. The flavor is very different, it reminds me of soil - the smell translated to taste of course. I may be a beer nerd, but no one has ever made me eat dirt. This cardboard aroma and soil flavor lead me to believe this bottle is old or infected, I'm not really sure. Too bad because I really like oatmeal stout and WANT to like this one, but it wasn't good.

from bottle into tulip

A- pours black with a two finger cocoa head that doesnt last long

S- yeast, licorice, some banana and some coffee

T- yeast, some coffee and banana

M- somewhat thin despite appearance. felt a bit runny imo

O- i was pretty much very dissapointed with this brew. it was my first oatmeal stout and i was not impressed. ive heard a lot on this site about the style and was eager to try one(not a lot of variety in my area).. but you get what you pay for, and this was rather cheap. im hoping maybe it was a 'not so good' bottle or that other oatmeal stouts will taste better. there really wasnt much i liked about it other than the appearance.

Intro: 12 oz. bottle poured in a tulip glass and shared with a friend

Appearance: Medium size head with a medium consistency, it receded slowly, carbonation clings to the inside of the glass, black in color but not opaque has a reddish brown hue, with a brown leather foam that swirls up nicely.

Smell: The smell is pure alcohol not much else happening, none of the flavors you would associate with a stout. It is disappointing the lack of aroma and only a alcohol smell from such a low ABV beer.

Taste: I can taste the carbonation and maybe a little hint of malts, but overall not much flavor. I would expect some of the creaminess from an oatmeal stout and it’s not there, in fact there is nothing in this beer except the taste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness but not really oily, other than that the mouthfeel is really about average.

Overall: Not much flavor or anything to make this beer stand out. It is rated fairly high on the Top 100 Beers of Fame, but this beer did not impress me at all.

2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

A: Pours a dark dark, almost black, with opaque brown highlights when the light hits it. A creamy four finger head is produced that fizzles down to a 1/2 finger extra creamy head. Lacing and head retention is only moderate for this stout, I feel a strong head is a must for any type of stout.

S: Smells like marsala wine with roasted malt, caramel, and a dollop of dark chocolate.

T: Tastes exactly like it smells, roasted malt, blackstrap molasses (yuck), sweet malt in general, marsala wine (if you have tasted marsala before you know exactly what I am talking about), some chocolate, dark fruits, and a little less caramel than the smell suggests. There is the slightest suggestion of the bitterness of hops, as well as a trace of their fruitiness, but not quite enough to balance out the intense sweetness. For me the sweetness is a bit cloying, much sweeter than any sweet stout I've ever had let alone an oatmeal stout. The oatmeal flavor seems lost to me. There is a hint of coffee on the finish. There is sweetness everywhere, and it builds. This is a beer, where is the bitter?

M: Smooth and creamy, the oatmeal starch coats your tongue nicely. Slightly over-carbonated, but generally this is as good as any stout can really get. The oatmeal really does add nice and smooth body that needs to be tasted to be believed.

D: For me, terribly low due to the cloying sweetness. I would like to see more bittering hops to mute the sweetness of the additional oatmeal. If you can tolerate sweet beers, I bet you could drink many of these.

O: I'm no hop head, but this beer is so sweet I can't enjoy it at all. Maybe this style isn't for me. I don't think I can finish it, grrr...

EDIT: What a sweet mess, down the drain it goes... Stone's IPA is going to clear my palate.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

A-SSOS looks good in the glass,has a lingering head,dark coffeelike,this is the best aspect of the brew.
S-Not very pronounced,a meager whiff of oatmeal cookies,nothing stands out.
T-Taste is a weak point as this is so balanced that its flat with no commitment to anything,
M-Smooth but unexceptional.
O-Vastly over rated at $3.99 + a bottle in NY there're far better values elsewhere.

I've tried SSOS numerous times,and don't get the same appeal the majority of reviewers got from the experience.

2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

A: It pours dark brown with a substantial foamy head. It looks very creamy with fine bubbles...almost indistinguishable.

S: It smells slightly yeasty but very metallic. I noticed at the end of the bottle, a little more character came out (malty scent and a little bit of vanilla).

T: It tastes like a mellow stout, light on bitterness and slightly roasted. There's a slight vanilla flavor.

M: It's dry and has a little sting to it. I was surprised it's not as smooth as it looks in the glass.

O: Overall it wasn't bad, it's a very non-distinct stout which is pleasant. I wish it had better character in the scent because it really detracts from the overall appeal getting a nose full of metal when drinking. At the end of the bottle the scent got much better.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

1st beer of 2010 I just came across my notes that I had stashed on a flash drive. This is the beer I drank at exactly mid-night to ring in the new year!Also my first Oatmeal Stout Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Almost ink black with a tawny head. It is actually a deep chestnut reddish color if held up to the light. Very sticky lacing that clings in clumps on my glass.

Smell= Smells like grandma's cookies! It has a sweet kick at first but then you pick up notes of dark roasted malt and slight cocoa notes. No noticeable hop aroma.

Taste- It tastes alot like it smells. It is very malty and roasty tasting with a very persistant sweetness. The sweetness seems to get stronger as it warms and you get closer to the bottom of the pint.

Mouthfeel- It is perfectly balanced. The carbonation complements the flavor perfectly. It is about medium bodied with a somewhat sticky and very creamy feel to it.

Drinkability- This is a one bottle wonder for me. Sure it isn't high in alcohol but I can only take so much sweetness. I am not super familiar with Oatmeal stouts so if I am flawed in judgement please forgive me. This stuff goes down so smoothly.

Overall- It is an interesting brew which I encourage anyone who likes stouts to try this atleast once. I am sure there are better examples of this style out there but I could see this being a great gateway beer for someone that is looking into getting into craft beer.

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

Definitve molasses aroma with light hoppiness. Somehow they squeezed an oak tast into this doughy malt. Certainly, too fizzy for my taste, then I see it is artificial. The head, as an arificial one would, dies almost instantly. The carbonation is lively, to the point of overbearing. It has a slight alcoholic taste to it, and the oatmeal taste never fully comes out, as it does with some others I’ve had. Overall, I wouldn’t turn it aay, but wouldn’t seek it out either.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured a soft black hue with a one finger creamy tan head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell was a bit muted and seemed stale in comparison to the superior American oatmeal stouts. Minor hints of toasted grain and coffee. The aroma was very yoo-hoo "ish."

The taste resembled yoo-hoo as well. Not a real malty sweetness or coffee acridness. Kind of right down the middle and uneventful.
Not the smoothness I would expect from an oatmeal.

The mouthfeel was average and the carbonation was biting.

Overall, not bad, but nothing special in my opinion. I really gave this one a shot considering its pedigree, but I must say I was a bit disappointed.

2.99/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours out pitch black. A small golden tan head quickly disappears to naught.

Smells of malts and sweet fruits.

Tastes sweet and slightly bitter, dark cherry and malty and a little bread, also samuel smith glass, for some reason I taste it in their brews.

Mouthfeel is a minute sticky, complementary low carbonation and a medium small body.

Average drinability, I would recommend a pint to someone who has never had one, drink it warmer it is substantially more complex that way. I don't really want to knock it as many love it but... it was not that intriguing.

Decent price, semi cheap for a three dollar pint bottle.

Pours a deep brown color. Very very deep. with a big tannish head.

The nose is kind of weak, all I'm really getting is molasses and leather. Getting a bit of a burnt roasted malt character as well. It's a really nice looking beer. But again, some alcohol present on the nose again.

Oatmeal is big time present in this thing. Flavors are kind of hopping all over the place. Super super chewing body. Super carbonated though as well. Definitely some burnt malt flavors going on. Finishes with a nice yet subtle hop finish. Some sweetness lingers though.

This beer is kind of all over the place and some of the flavors are hidden by the huge mouthfeel. Good but not great. Interesting to say the most or the least (in some sort of aspect)

Bah, my sam smith night has added up to two disappointments. But i still look forward to trying the taddy porter as well as the imperial stout.

Fresh sample with the recently added bottled-on date.

Surprisingly horse-mane black coloring for such a smaller ABV beer. Giant liquid-cookie head that bubbles up, comes back to earth and really lingers.

Nothing but sweetness on the nose. I can only slightly tune into the roasted malts. No hop presence at all, but none expected. A few shards of oats, or maybe i'm persuaded by the bottle color.

Could this be one of the sweetest beers ever? Not a stout to my tastebuds, closer to Young's Double Chocolate than their interpretation.

Thick mouthfeel but tongue cannot ignore the cloying sweetness.

Good starter beer for macro-freaks, but otherwise avoidable except for dessert settings. Might make a good beer ice-cream dessert.

Jan 6, 2008

This was one of my first forays into fine beers quite a while back and at the time I was quite impressed and would have likely rated it closer to the rating it has here. However, I've had many others since then and revisited this last night and it wasn't quite what I remembered. Still a very good brew, but I think it's somewhat over-rated.

Pours dark brown with a decent sized head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel and flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, licorice and somewhat acidic. Did get better as it warmed...to a certain extent. Toward the bottom of the glass it got rather...eh... Kind of cola-like.

A solid stout, but there are much better examples out there IMO.

look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I might have to try this beer again. I wasn't a big fan it kind of left me wanting more flavor. And I've heard nothing but great things about this beer. maybe I got a bad bottle lol

3.01/5  rDev -28.3%

550ml-bottle.This famous stout poured out a dark black/brown with a small dark tan head.The smell was sweet with hints of chocolate,molassas and coffee.There was also the above flavors in the taste as well,but the mouthfeel was a little thin for me,especially for a stout.I felt the beer was ok for me,although it may be a little overrated.

3.01/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from 550ml bottle into Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black, with about two fingers worth of fluffy tan head that disipates rather quickly.

Smell: Dark chocolate, and coffee. Also getting a nice toffee and caramel smell going on here.

Taste: A bit of hop bitterness up front, but is quickly drowned out by the malt tastes of, coffee, chocolate, and caramel.

Mouthfeel:Thick and creamy, with a nice chewy texture going down.

Overall: Pretty decent stout, though I was expecting something a bit more after seeing the reviews on here. It was still a fairly solid stout though.

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Pours black with one finger of tan head and low carbonation.

N: Not much, maybe a little cocoa and dark fruits.

T: Grapefruit, plums, cookie dough and rolls into some burnt toffee with a hint of hop bitterness.

M: Creamy and very balanced.

D: Very easy to drink these but would prefer a more roasty stout.

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Dark brown to black with little head. Lacing wasn't visible either.

S: Hard to tell; a little bit of coffee/expresso aroma.

T: About average; again, for a beer with not that much alcohol, they didn't do too good of a job masking it. Again, it was hard to pick out anything on my palate. Little taste.

M: Thinner than I expected, with little carbonation.

D: The one thing good on this beer was that it was fairly easy to down...but still, not very enjoyable.

O: I didn't care for this beer too much. An above average beer at best.

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

For all of the hype surrounding this beer I would consider this no more than average in overall quality. I was so excited to open this up but after a few pulls I realized that although this is a good stout it is merely average to me. Next time I will spend less money on a better stout.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)