Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,137
4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is my first review and what better to start with than this remarkable oatmeal stout. To begin with I poured from a 1Pt 2.7Floz bottle into my favorite mug. Temp appx. 55deg.

Appearance: The stout pours into a nice dark brown boarder-line black. The head settles nicely after about 45 seconds, but continues to sit throughout the drinking. Overall, very good looking
Smell: A nice robust chocolate scent with a mixture of roasted hints.
Taste:Wonderful smokey tones rush forth and settle on the palate. Truly a Perfect balance of richness and drinkability.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy but just right. Almost a soft/silky feel
Drinkability: I honestly have to say that this could possibly be my favorite oatmeal stout. Wait a few moments after each sip and savor the complex flavors that continue to dance on the palate. Each sip begs for another to follow. What a treat. (873 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

One of the most drinkable oatmeal stouts I have ever tasted. I enjoy the results of fermentation in slate tanks. It has the best appearance, taste, and smell of them all. I like the fact that it is not too strong, so you can have several. I enjoy that it has no cloying sweetness and a crisp aftertaste. This stout has a luxurious mouthfeel and can be counted on to deliver everytime. (384 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

And here is the always yummy Sammy Smith's Oatmeal. This is the first stout other than Guinness that I ever tried. It's the first beer that got me into drinking better beer. I owe this beer a lot. It's the best beer to come out of a clear bottle, that's for sure. Nowadays, I'd have to say I prefer the Imperial Stout offering by Sammy Smith's. But this is one stout I will always fall back upon and enjoy thoroughly. It's damn near opaque with a well-retaining tan head. The aroma is mostly burnt chocolate malt, faint coffee, sweetness, and hops. Same goes with the flavor as far as I'm concerned. It has a buttery, if slightly thin but still thick enough for a stout mouthfeel. And it's creamy....drinkable as all hell. I only prefer the Imperial because I'm on a robust kick. But this stout is truly amazing and has never let me down. The clear bottle has always scared me, but it's always fresh when I buy it. (914 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is by far my favorite beer of all time. Since I had my first one at Smoking Joe's many years ago I am truly in love with this beer.

A: A nice tar like Stout color with a rich tawny head seemingly juxtaposed to the dark body. There is almost no carbonation visible in the beer at all adding to its smooth mouth feel. The head lingers on as it is being enjoyed.

S: It smells of oatmeal living up to its name. It also has a strong roasted characteristic. You can also smell the stone that it was brewed in.

T: Malty and roasted. There are hints of coffee in the overall Chuck Norris kick of oats. You can also taste the stone that it was brewed in.

M: The word smooth is the one that dominates.It is thick and coating. It goes down and warms the soul as it brings satisfaction to the taste buds.

D:It will go down smooth and is surprisingly not as heavy as it looks. It is appropriate in the winter as it is in the summer. Drink with steak and soups. (957 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

definetly something i can sit down to a good video game or movie or bon fire or even have next to me while on the grill...

this beer doesnt leave you wishing they did something different... as a matter of fact i tried samual smiths taddy porter and i thought i would never like any of there other beers any more... then.... one day there it was on the shelves of the Alteck beer store... 4.50 a bottle... thats about average for a good beer here in okinawa... so i hoped it would live up to its price... and let me tell ya

at close range with a 12 gauge shotgun... this beer hit taddy porter right in the face and nocked it off my list of top 5... because this just raised the bar on a good beer... it sits up there with the 3 chimays and lion stout damn good beer... (769 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

So I like meals in a glass you can't see through. I wanted to see how a stout from the British Isles measured up. This one is awesome.

The texture of the off white head reminded me of the frothed milk you get on a really good latte. It was smooth and thick and unfortunately didn't last all that long. The dark almost black brew looked great.

There wasn't a powerful aroma but a gentle touch is sometimes all you need.

After the first drink it felt like sweet and acidic notes were messing around just waiting so that the second drink would melt around those flavors. The nutty, roasty flavor works its shift and leaves the sweetness and that little tang so it can start the process all over again.

The liquid feels substantial in your mouth, just a slight effervescence to stimulate the taste buds. Its rich without feeling too heavy.

Delicious drink. Always a good idea to try an old master that has been around awhile. (926 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a mug.

A - Near opaque chocolately black in color, letting no light through. A 1 inch tan head persists for about 10 minutes that leaves sticky lacing clinging to the glass. As my roommate says: "that looks like 10w-40."

S - Aroma of sweet molasses malt, combined with the slightest hints of coffee, a certain nuttiness, roasted chocolate and an oak-like brown sugar.

T - The first wave to hit your tongue is the molasses taste, with hints of darker chocolate and brown sugar. The molasses and brown sugar persist through the sip, with a twinge of coffee and carbonation near the end, all with an oatmeal backdrop present throughout.

MF - One of the smoothest mouthfeels in a brew I have encountered. Smooth silk-like creamy, medium to full-bodied with the slightest hint of carbonation lurking in the background.

D - One of the most drinkable brews, with a lower ABV. However, if you don't have a slightly larger stomach you will fill up slightly quicker. Hell, if I could afford it I would drink this every single day. Hands down, one of my favorite (if not my favorite) beers of all time.

Notes: Simply one of the greatest tasting brews I have ever had. And until now I hadn't reviewed it for some reason. Please, pick up some and treat yourself to one of the finest crafted beers. (1,322 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is the very first full beer I ever drank (back about seven years ago), so this is a very nostalgic brew for me, and a very GOOD one to have cut my teeth on.

I purchased it from the HiWay 66 Liquor in Claremore, OK, in a clear glass bottle. The appearance on this beer was beyond exceptional. It was extremely dark, black you might say. I held the bottle up to the sun, and the sun went away!

The smell was more complex than I can describe-burnt malts, hops; a definite beer smell that was both inviting and skunk-free despite the clear bottle. Very Nice!

The taste and mouthfeel are really where this beer excels...Taste was of dark roasted malts, with some hints of coffee, caramel, and lots of hops! It was silky smooth, and I could taste almost no alcohol.

The mouthfeel was very thick, almost chewy; this is much hardier than I am used to for sure! The aftertaste was also awesome: the dark malts and coffee hung around from swallow to swallow, and left me wanting more and more the more I drank it.

I definitley reccomend this beer to anyone looking for something outside of the usual stuff available. It is a bit pricey, but it definitley worth the money.

Prost! (1,180 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I still remember the first time I tried Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Fifteen years ago and still nothing has surpassed it at the top of my beerymid. Perhaps it's my affinity for stouts but I can never get enough of this beer. It's a constant struggle each trip to the store not to go back to this and force myself to try something new on the shelf.

Heavy enough to keep you warm during the cold months yet smooth enough it's still during during the dog days of summer. (467 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a light ink black in color with a two finger foamy head. Aroma of burnt malts and some chocolate. Sweet and creamy, slippery smooth, somewhat acidic and smokey. Some dark roast coffee and a slightly dry finish, leaves you yearning for more. Incredible stout, should own it's own category. (294 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

It was a classic night at Porters Pub in Easton and this was beer #4. After helping my buddy close out his list, it was my turn to choose a brew from the famed list and this was my pick. It was a nice of well reputed classics and this next one was up for the challenge.

A: A creamy tan head tops the dark chocolate liquid that, plenty of lacing webs the glass.

S: Very roasty, with dark chocolate, mocha and oats.

T: Starts with roasted grain and oat flavors and is quickly joined by mocha and dark chocolate. The balance and smoothness in the finish is remarkable.

M: Medium to full body, with a creamy texture; moderate carbonation.

D: WOW, my first Sam Smith's and I'm amazed how they get a beer this robust in 5% ABV. My first true Stout from Englad and what an experience, I can see how these guys have lasted so long. I can't wait to try some of Sam Smith's other brews (Brown Ale and Impy Stout are first on the list). This is a MUST have for the beer lover and especially for the Stout lover! Another huge shout out for Porter's Pub in Easton, PA! (1,060 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A- almost completely black, has a small amount of burgundy highlights around the edges. it some ways i looks nearly the color of a black plum, then again maybe the spring sunshine is playing tricks on me. huge spongy tan foam is aerated and full of air pockets and little bubbles. it's a real lace monster too and it compresses down to a thick creamy disk and never really goes away.

S-sweet cream, rosated malt, stone hard water, spiced bread and dark fruit, plum, raisin, toffee, maybe a little molasses. there's a savory side as well with meaty roast pork, and smoky grilled mushrooms. earthy herbal hops, fresh bread and biscuit mingle with soft coffee and cocoa aromas making kind of a burnt chocolate chip cookie.

T- much more semi-sweet chocolate chip flavor then aroma, and very very watered down coffee (not to say the beer is watered down-- it's def. not), buttery oatmeal with brown sugar, resinous hops add balance appearing in the middle and lasting through the finish. dark black cherry, prune, and raisin soaked in brandy and bitters. as it warms woodsy, oak, pine, and tobacco, rich soil and compost, very earthy, very natural, as if this baby came out of a magical spring in the forest or something.

MF- mildly powdery feeling from the oatmeal lends a definite creaminess to the body and also adds somewhat of a cooling effect, like the feel of mint. medium-mid low carbonation is perfectly on the level. this one's thick and rich, coating and resinous.

D- full of pure natural flavor, one of the things that appeals to me most about sam smith is the taste of the water. i wish i could get it by the gallon. all their beers seem so classy and traditional, and are entirely drinkable. this oatmeal is no different. (1,735 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Once served to lactating mothers for its nutritional value I am soothed by this stout's character and drinkabilty. I found it in a Sam Smith Seasonal Sampler at Jungle Jim's. I wish I had a keg to call my own. The Imperial Stout is also first rate.

I would go out of my way to stock up on this brew. It is as close to brew perfection as I've ever been. The only brew I love as much is Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. (418 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Loved this oatmeal stout.

Appearance was good very dark like coffee with a thick head and good lacing.

Taste sweet with hint of chocolate and coffee with a nice ending. Great drinkability

Would buy this again and again, price was steep for a 4 pack but you get what you pay for. (282 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Almost black face-on, with a thick head of toast-colored foam that dissipates to a lace across the surface and up the sides of the glass. Held up to the light, I see it is a clear, dark mahogany.

S: Toasted bread, with a sweet caramel note. Not strong.

T: It took me a few sips to really take in all that I'm tasting, because it's so much at once. It's sweet caramel and buttery up front, and that lasts through to the finish, but along the way a slight acidic tartness appears for a moment, followed by a bitterness that's a mixture of hops and burnt grain. Maybe a hint of coffee as an afterthought.

M: Good carbonation and moist up front, but with a lingering dryness that makes the mouth long for the next sip.

O: Top of the class! Really, this has me wanting to go back and mark down prior stout reviews (i.e. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout), but instead I'll give this one top marks. At the price, this won't be an everyday drink, and it shouldn't be. Something this good should be reserved for special occasions or special friends. (1,043 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours from the bottle dark copper brown with a creamy tan head.
Smells of sweet malts,fresh oats and caramel.
You can taste the oats in it with a balance of sweetness and bitter mild hop presence. Rich just the right amount of sweetness and very creamy, touch of coffee in the mix. Finishes mildly dry.
It is very smooth and creamy in your mouth and very refreshing indeed.
If you have never had this one try it you will really like it. I give this beer a overall of 5.0 it is an exceptional world class stout one of the very best. (531 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

obtained from Lone Star beverages - Coppell, TX

I should preface my review by saying that I was eagerly anticipating it and I saved it for a few days prior to a celebration

the beer pours the color of blackened burnt siena - beautiful, poured in a pint glass - 2 cm head - creamy, tan colored

Smell is one of bready, yeasty goodness

Taste - Guinness is good, but Samuel Smith's Stout is simply superior in every way, a stronger depth of flavor, sweetness, bitterness, smoother finish, carb-laden overtone bathes your taste buds (I feel like I can almost taste the oatmeal in it) - this beer makes me want to cancel a few things for 1-2 hours to encompass myself in it, this is the perfect meeting up with a best friend beer, or trying to impress an especially savvy woman beer - the kind of beer that speaks to the understanding of balance and perfection

mouthfeel - medium carbonation, light bitterness

Overall - a stout that makes you feel like you want to drink stouts all day, whereas I have always felt that stouts were situational, but this makes me feel that they can be unilaterally spectacular (1,109 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A - This is a beautiful beer. A beer that others can strive to be. It poured less than 1 finger (the only negative) of of creamy mocha colored head. There was some continued carbonation. A very strong proud English lacing. I do wish the head was a bit higher.

S - Rich chocolate, caramel, instant oatmeal with sugar. And some sweet honeydew flower nectar, like the kind I'd play with as a kid. Wonderful. After opening the bottle I could smells the rich sweet savory smells from across the table.

T - Initially you feel some creamy sugars, then some chocolate, then some whole wheat toast. This aftertaste lingers around but not unwantedly with a bit of hop and some bread. Some people might want more hop character, but this is fine. I found the balance between malt hop and yeast to be just right.

M - Creamy, playful, inviting. You want to put more of this in your mouth. You'll want to make soap and candles out of this. You'll want to pour this on pancakes.

D - Delightful. Great by itself, with burgers, for desert. Tons of occasions. (1,044 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 19 oz Sammy bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A- Very dark brown in color, almost black. Slight dark copper reddish-brown hues on the edges when held up to the light. Nice frothy, foamy 1" cream colored head that slowly settles into a thin layer on the top that stays for the duration. Beautiful lacing. Leaving rings at every stop on the way down the glass.

N- Very roasty, malty aroma. Hints of bittersweet chocolate, coffee and caramel. perhaps a bit of hops detected underneath all that malty sweetness.As the beer warms to room temp, smell of chocolate becomes much more prominent. Almost like that of melty semi-sweet morsels.

T- Getting fresh roasted coffee. Then dark chocolateflavor that turns to bittersweet choc. Definite bitter taste as I swallow my mouthful down. A blend of bitter from both the roasted malts and the hops on the back end.

M- Smooth and creamy. Almost a 'slick' feel about it. Not too heavy for a stout, and the carbonation it has helps it dance across my tongue. Coats the back of the throat on the swallow.

D- A fabulous stout, for sure. The fact that it is relatively light for a stout,and has decent carbonation make this one a good session beer in my eyes. Years ago my cousin(also a Beer Advocate)bought me one of these on Thanksgiving. It turned me into a person who "dug" good beer. First taste of stout. Haven't had it in a while, and this is the first time I've drunk it and really thought about the flavor profiles in it with the intention of a review. Forgot how damn good this beer is. (1,551 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Pours a rich deep black color with about a half-inch of tan foam on top that is creamy and looks like it is going to be around for a while. There are quite a few bubbles rising. The beer leaves quite a bit of lacing after drinking.

Aroma: The caramel and roasty aroma are the most noticeable when you smell the beer cold. Deeper within, the beer has a sweet cereal-like aroma. You can even smell pancakes in this beer somewhere. As the beer warms a bit, you can really start to notice the British hops coming out.

Taste: This is a seriously tasty beer! It is sweet pretty much the entire time. It has a nutty and toasty flavor that you notice first, and this fades to a caramel-like sweet finish to linger among a smooth and slick mouthfeel. Excellent!

Opinion: Go Sam Smith's! This beer is a whole lot better than I even remember it to be. It has a superbly crafted balance with just enough sweet and slickness to make it feel like you just had dessert. Nice beer! (986 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A: pours very dark brown, almost black; light passes through; khaki head that leaves a nice ring around the glass, no lacing

S: strong toasted oats, toasted bread, dried plums (prune), dark molasses, dried figs

T: oats, toasted bread, dried plum, raisin skin, very light bitterness on the finish

M: nice moderate level of carb, on the thin side (for a modern stout) but this is what a traditional oatmeal stout should be like

O: I typically look for a higher abv, fuller mouthfeel stout when I'm drinking in the colder months, but this is perfectly suited for the change of seasons; it would also be great for a cold night when you plan to have more than a couple beers; in short, it's a great go to oatmeal stout (717 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

pours very dark with a short tannish brown head. smell is slight of roasted oats. fantastic semi-sweet chocolate/caramel taste with a slight hint of fig?/raisin?/date? very smooth mouthfeel. definitely inviting to drink more to discover all the flavors. (253 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Served into an oversized wine glass.

Poured a fairly large and dense tan head that dissipated fairly quickly. The beer itself was a very dark, opaque brown, verging on black.The smell is delightful. It's a lovely mix of coffee, malts, oats and nuttiness. It's a creamy, heavy stout with just enough carbonation. It tastes fairly malty with huge notes of coffee and chocolate and a little sweet, oat background with a smooth, fairly bitter finish. Overall this is one of my favorite beers and as a result have tried several other SS brews, all of which have been great as well. (577 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

The beer, along with Magic Hat #9 of all things, that started the slow fall into serious craft brew drinking...

Poured black as night, with a nice reverse cascade on pour that created a very rocky head that had swiss cheese-like holes from a side view. Left bubbly foam stain. Smelled of chocolate, oats, dark scents that were malty and roasty, and no hops – great. Tasted of bitter chocolate and sweet chocolate, dark malt mixed with roasted barley, and a very quiet soda-like sour from the oats. So mild and comforting, and that real good sweetness, too. Finish was far from drying, it leaves things smooth and slick, with small roasted barley and dark malt flavors in the back of my mouth, reminding me of that sweetness. No hops – great. Wonderfully full mouthfeel.

Love it when the hops are minimal, this is the one that re-started the style. (865 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pitch black in color with tan head. Coffee and chocolate aroma. Taste has many layers, coffee, chocolate, toffee, cream, soy sauce. Nicely carbonated. This is an outstanding stout. Taste and smell are both very complex. I'll definitely pick up a few of these next time i see it. (278 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)