Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Always a favorite, this hearty stout pours the color of deep, dark molasses with crimson highlights and a thin, but persistant head of tiny, dense wheat hued suds.

Aroma is malty and chewy, with molasses, prune or plum pudding, chocolate covered nuts, and dried fruit.

Flavor has roasty, sweet, dark malt flavors of molasses, pumpernickle bread, prunes, raisins, port wine tartness, and a light dusting of cocoa. Delicate, nuanced flavors abound.

Body is where it's at, just above medium with a smooth as silk mouthfeel and soft, buttery texture that simply glides across your palate.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Purchased from Publix on Whitesburg, Huntsville, AL.

A: Black as night itself, with a fairly thin tan head. Head is smooth and leaves considerable lacing. Nice presentation.

S: Sweet, coffee-like aroma with hints of malt and (yes) oatmeal underneath. Some chocolate way down deep. I remember the aroma being off-putting when I first tried this about a year and a half ago, but this is actually a very nice aroma.

T: Maltier than I'm used to with a stout, sweet but not really cloying. No real hoppiness of dryness at all. Again, much better than I remembered -- my palate has really changed since I first tried this.

M: Chewy is the word I'd use to describe it, almost as if it has some chunks left in it. (Probably just my imagination.) Thinner than a lot of stouts, but made to-style. Good.

D: Quite drinkable. I'm going to be buying this more often -- I like this a lot more than I remembered.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a two finger head and a resilient one that refuses to go away. Deep red that is nearly opaque.

Smells of rich oatmeal malt and a sweetness reminescent of english toffee. a slight nose of bittering hops.

Rich sweet malts, chocolate and oats. jesus is this a tasty one. Tried it in the past but for some reason never reviewed it.

Mouth is delightful and smooth. Drinks slowly but great for the style

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark Stout color with ruby edges. I can just barely make out my 100 watt porch light when I hold it up. Poured with a nice toasty head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

Smell: I very much enjoy the aromas given off by this beer. Very malty smell, though my smeller is somewhat untrustworthy thanks to allergies.

Taste: I'm not sure how to describe the taste. It's not as bitter as some other stouts. There is a lot going on there, I taste some nuttiness, and maybe a slight metallic tinge after swallowing, but I enjoy the particular bitterness it gives off. Not too harsh.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, actually feels lighter in my mouth that other stouts I've had. Carbonation is spot on and doesn't detract from the tastes at all.

Drinkabillity: I can see why this one is rated so high. I can see myself going back to this quite a bit. After a long day out in the sun, like I had today, it's perfect for sitting back and taking my mind off of things. Doesn't give me the same full feeling I get from other stounts, so I can see putting a few of them down in succession.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Apperance: Poured a completely clear black, with a two finger light brown head. Head is creamy/foamy with good retention. Not much lacing, but maintains a head layer all the way down.

Smell: Nose of very strong dark roasted malts, nuts, and a hint of coffee. Some molasses sweetness, but not much. Very simple, but appealing.

Taste: Sweet roasted malts and oats, with some nuts and coffee following the nose. Simple but kind of complex at the same time. Good taste front to back in the mouth. Little bit of a bite. Taste lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, and not overly filling. Smooth and creamy, with some chewiness.

Drinkability: A very good stout. Very easy to drink and very smooth. Not as sweet or creamy as some stouts and with more bite, but very good in its own right.

4.04/5  rDev -4%

I've always loved Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout and decided to do a side-by-side taste test. Here it is.

Oatmeal

A - black, deep ruby next to a lightbulb, the famous Samuel Smith's thick, tan, textured head

S - steely caramel, wet grain, malt, faint mulled winey note

T - mild mocha, brown sugar, hint of a tart-metal-caramel triangle, pastry note

M - silky, buttery ends slightly dry

O - A solid oatmeal stout, very well balanced, delicious and palatable, perfect for drawing newbies into the stout fold. Its American cousins take the ball from there and elevate the robustness and complexity, but this is still a nice one to drink. I'm a little sad that it doesn't deliver as well now that I've expanded my stout palate, but I'll keep my nostalgic soft spot for it.

Imperial

A - black, deep ruby next to a lightbulb, thick off-white head, though not as thick or as textured as the Oatmeal Stout.

S - steely caramel, mocha, malt, mild coffee, almost a mulled winey/port note - more pronounced than in the oatmeal stout. Towards the end something plum-like came out, and finally something apple-y.

T - malt, cocoa and dark chocolate, hint of tart

M - smooth but less silky than the oatmeal stout and finishes slightly dry and slightly tart

O - I really like the Oatmeal Stout and this one cranks up the robustness a notch or two in my opinion. It's got a more pronounced flavor.

4.04/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours black with ample tan head. Despite the lack of head retention, there is some lacing.

S: Dark malt, slightly tar-like.

T: Very well balanced, bittersweet throughout. Chocolate, with a slightly fruity tang. Roasty, but not at all harsh.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, moderate carbonation.

D: Very drinkable.

4.04/5  rDev -4%

Review is from notes taken on 2/5/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: When it comes out of the bottle, the pour looks a little thin and watery; color is a dark coffee brown and it starts with a creamy tan head that fades very quickly to nothing other than a thin skim and an uneven, but full, ring around the surface; body is dark and nearly entirely opaque; leaves one big wash of lacing along the sides of the glass that eventually drips down into spots.

Smell: Smell is quite good, and I'm saying that when I'm sampling this with a pretty bad head cold -- nice roasty and slightly burnt coffee-like smells; definite presence of chocolates, some slightly bittersweet and some kind of milky sweet; slight cherry-esque presence as well and much like the SS Imperial Stout, I'm reminded of chocolate covered cherries.

Taste: Pretty good, but I don't think it's quite the same caliber as the SS Imperial Stout -- nice burnt and roasty coffee-like malts that have just a touch of bitterness to them; bit of an earthy nuttiness to it as well as some oat; slight chocolate that has more of the bittersweet or bakers' chocolate flavor; I feel the cherry aspect that is present in the nose is there in the mouth, but that it's rather muted. Overall, very solid, but if I had to choose, the IS would take it.

Mouthfeel: My assumptions based upon the look of the pour prove correct -- the body does come across a little thin and watery; carbonation is prickly and lively; a moderately thick sticky and semi-dry coating is left all over the roof of the mouth; slight grittiness is left on the teeth.

Drinkability: Certainly solid enough -- a great set of scents and pretty decent flavors to follow; body isn't as thick and smooth as I would like, but it also doesn't come across heavy at all and with the moderate ABV of 5%, I would say it would be easy enough to get through a couple of these in a night with little to no problem.

4.04/5  rDev -4%

A-Pitch black pour with thick tan head that virtually disappears after a drink or two leaving faint foamy lacing.

S- This smells sweet and floral. No alcohol presence in the nose.

T- Smooth and sweet. Roasted malt and oaty sweetness.

M-Lighter than anticipated. Great carbonation.

O- A staple in the stout category..but nothing too extravagant. Simple yet elegant.

4.04/5  rDev -4%

I was so excited to learn this beer is vegan...definitely a plus, Sam Smith's!

Pours a very deep, dark brown, almost black with a perfectly generous lacy, light mocha head.
Aroma is noticeably sweet with caramel malts and hints of chocolate.

The sweetness doesn't translate into the taste. The hops cancel it out, but not in an overly bitter way. It comes off as very clean and crisp with a heavy carbonation.

I definitely agree with the a previous review of letting it warm up a bit. It gets much smoother as it warms...very drinkable.

Did I mention it was vegan??

4.04/5  rDev -4%

A: nice appearance; thin head, not much carbonation
S: cherry chocolate; very fragrant
T: nice, classic stout--molasses throughout, but directed in a Dr. Pepper direction; not very complex; not very sweet
M: silky, smooth, mealy

This is an excellent stout with broad appeal.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Black with a tan head with little retention.

S: Sweet maltiness with a touch of stock feed &
oakiness.

T: Bitter finish, with a roasted woody taste w/
touches of coffee and bourbon.

M/D: Good carbonation with a rich body & almost
dry finish.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)