Follow our progress ...

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
4.2

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,252 | Ratings: 6,494
4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Been hearing rave reviews about this one for a while, but I've just recently been enjoying stouts, so thought I would give it a try.

Pours thick with a medium, creamy coffee head. The beer itself is thick, oil like. Smells of heavy malt with a lot of chocolate tones. The taste is fantastic, with a lot of chocolaty roasty malt, with a bitter finish, coming in the form of roasted coffee.

Great stout, will be drinking again.

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - pitch black body under four fingers of dark tan/light brown frothy head; excellent lace; beautiful!

S - rich caramel and toasted malt; coffee; oats; nuts; a faint fruity note

T - roasted malt with caramel sweetness; bitter chocolate/coffee flavor balances this brew very well, especially in the creamy, bittersweet finish.

M - smooth and velvety; medium body with average carbonation; great mouthfeel!

O - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout got me addicted to craft beer. It looks beautiful in the glass, smells inviting, feels great on the tongue, and offers a very complex and well-balanced flavor. Worth every cent!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

This was my first Samual Smith. I was also amazed by this thick, rich, black brew.I also never would of guessed it came in a clear bottle.Its dark, full of body,tan head and glass lace was very drinkable. Nice for dessert.Now I cant wait to try an Imperial Stout!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle. No freshness date.

A- Pours an incredible opaque dark drown. Nice bubbly 3 finger head. Lacing sticks to the glass like glue!!

S- Strong malt presence on the nose. Sweet caramel notes.

T- Malty sweet with caramel/ toffee notes. Not too sweet, it doesn't linger.

M- Very smooth on the front and crisp carbonation at the back that cleans the palate and leaves you wanting another sip.

D- This is a very impressive beer. I can't believe that I waited this long to try it. I can see myself enjoying this beer often- in small quantities. One or two per session would suffice for me. All around on e of the best that I have had yet.

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - black, black as night with a nice head

Smell - not alot of smell, very mild stout with a little sour oatmeal smell.

Taste - Oh yes, Dark chocolate hits you first, then semi sour oatmeal and rasberry finishes your platte.

Drinkability - This is a amazing beer. It has everything. Its sweet then sour, then stout, then mild. Its a all in one beer that is a pleasure to drink. I usually pick up a 4 pack monthly. I cant go many days without enjoying one of these. Ive yet to drink a better oatmeal stout!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

First off, thanks to Swigger for the brew, it was a trade from our last tasting (finally just felt right).

Look: Poured into my pub glass a dark brown with a three finger caramel cola head with dissipation to a 1 finger head that lingers.

Nose: Roasted malts, slightly oaty. A hint of bitter chocolate?

Taste: Well balanced and smooth on the pallate, all the oat and bitter chocolate notes come back in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, just like I believe an Oatmeal stout should be.

Drinkability: Superior drinkability. If, that is, I'm feeling like a slightly sweet beer, I could probably drink this all night. But on a college budget, I can't really afford to.

This was the overall best in show at our recent tasting of 11 totally different brews at my place among about a dozen people who aren't normally beer drinkers outside the Macro stuff, but considering some people came back for more. I'm pleased to see that this helped launch some of my friends, including my significant other into darker beers.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

One of my all time favorites. Beautiful pour of deep brown with ruby highlights. Nice frothy head. Excellent aroma of toasted grain, mocha, fruit and on and on. Words don't do the taste justice... Flawlessly smooth and silky presence on the palate. Perfect semi sweet finish which makes this brew so completely drinkable. Bar none a marvelous creation that deserves the attention.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is dark to where no light can go through. It barely had a head to it. It has a very sweet smell to it. Able to taste the roasted malts. A lot better as it warms.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: slight light coming thru on sides with good head retention S: raisin, brown sugar, syrup T: sweet, roasted malt, raisin M: medium velvety and clean finish

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I am a beer vendor and the receiving woman at one of my old stores and her husband adore this beer. She asked me if I could bring it into her store but we were out of stock at our warehouse. So I found a 4pk at another account and brought it to her, she was over the moon about this beer. Normally I would not drink many stouts. I ended up finding another 4pk and had to buy it to try it and give her and her husband each a beer out of the pack. I've never open a beer in my car but I had to see what the fuss was all about so the second I got out of the store I popped one open. In the bottle it seemed a little to carbonated but it tasted really really... Normal not like a coffee or chocolate stout, this shocked me. So I get home and pour it into a pint glass and was absolutely shocked at how dark the beer was because having first tried it in the bottle it didn't taste burnt or really stout like other very dark beers. After pouring it into the pint glass the over carbonation went away and the beautiful tan head laced the glass ever so slightly. It is a wonderful dark beer that will surprise you. This is my first ever beer review. In conclusion this is a dark oatmeal stout that has a balance between flavors that is unprecedented

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours black under a 3” frothy tan foam collar that produces thick lace.
S: Not a lot of aroma, some light roast.
T: Dark malts, roast, coffee, oat creaminess, cola, faint fruit. A light grainy astringency and mild hop bitterness balance the light sweetness from the malt.
F: Very creamy, moderate carbonation and full body. Has the oatmeal stout silky texture.
O: Very easy to drink with a good balance of flavors in a rich creamy texture.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Wow, this is an amazing beer. It pours a nice dark color. There was a very nice head which lasts for a long time. The small was of nice sweet malts. The mouthfeel was amazingly smooth, and the taste was exceptional. This is a stout which everyone must sample. Enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured 550mL bottle with foil wrapped top into 34oz mug. Oily brown pour, jet black in the glass with thick tan head that sticks around. Smell is creamy coffee with a bit of chocolate. Taste is like the smell; creamy and sweet at first, then roasted coffee and bitter chocolate, with a bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's no wonder this is the top rated beer of its style on here.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Almost completely black with a nice, mild carbonation and a lovely tan head that dissolves into a beautiful lacing.

Smell: Strong malts upfront with a much more reserved earthy, biscuity smell on the tale end. A touch of coffee his the nose as well.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth and creamy. Very light on the tongue and goes down incredibly easy.

Taste: A great, roast flavor from the get-go. A nice, roasty taste comes next with caramel and some coffee notes. A great, mild hop flavor on the tail end with a clean finish provided by the oatmeal.

Overall: An excellent offering of this particular style, one of my favorite oatmeal stows out there and one of the best overall dark beers I've yet to taste. Far better than other offerings such as Guinness.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite all time beers. Had it on tap in Boston several years ago and never looked back. Undeniably one of the best stouts you will ever drink. Smooth, creamy and so good it can be dangerous. Bottles not quite as good as on tap so if you can find it in a bar do not pass it up!

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of thick, creamy light brown head. Great retention and plenty of lacing. Nearly perfect here.

4.5 S: Plenty of strength in the aroma for a 5% stout. Oatmeal is very apparent with healthy amounts of roasted barley, dark roast coffee, and a hint of dark chocolate. Also, this is surprisingly nutty, which I wholey welcome. Very nice.

5.0 T: Again, very flavorful for such a small beer. Light lactose-like sourishness. Roasted and toasted malts. Coffee is full force with nuttiness right behind. Some molasses and just a touch of breadiness. Really good!

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Moderate, but lively carbonation. Super smooth, but I wish the body was a bit thicker making this creamier. Still, not bad for how light it is.

5.0 D: Even with some minor issues in the mouthfeel, this is one hell of a beer. Sam Smith is pretty much the king of UK. Just about everything I've had is tops for the country. This is exceptionally tasty given how small of a beer it is and allows you to drink plenty of it, which is why I wish I had more.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A very nice dark stout, that when held to light I only imagine that there's a little reddish-brown color around the outsides of the glass. I light tan head that stuck around for a while and left a nice sticky lace down the sides. The flavor is sweet and malty with a hint of bitter-chocolate. Nice and creamy with a very clean finish and with only 5% abv this is one that I can drink all night. The only reason that I left room for improvement in my score is that it's not GLBC Ohio City.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a deep black with an off-white half-finger of head that quickly sunk to a tan coloured lace.
Smelled very strongly of rich dark malt with a faint roastiness. Tasted and felt satisfyingly heavy and smooth; very nutty and buttery flavour that just made me want more with every gulp.

Overall, it was great, with a good balance between big stout taste with the bite of astringency imparted by the oats.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Why don't I drink this more often? Well, I will now. Anyway, unlike my experience with the benchmark Tripel, by Westmalle, this benchmark Oatmeal Stout is full of wonder (not that Westmalle wasn't good...)

Poured from the large bottle (22.7oz) into a Sam Smith's pint glass, the fallow-hued head shot up tall and fierce and the definition of 'cottony', with overzealous stickiness (as in, lacing). Below, 91 1/2% pitch black, though if you want, hold it up to the light to reveal its prismic highlights of deep burgundy. Or don't.

My, what rich, soft, brown sugary, dark roast coffee, round smooth supple malt aromas! Kind of sporting a fresh-baked muffin quality. Effortless to take in such bold bouquet. Not much in the way of hoppy or roasty bitterness. Quite inviting.

The first thing I noticed when I took a sip is how wonderfully the malty sweet liquid encompasses the palate and rolls thickish yet clean and smooth across the tongue. The flavor is none too shabby, either. Homemade, densely hearty-grained, oatmeal-cookie-flavored coffee comes to mind. A little toffee, a good bit more coffee and molasses. Hardly cloying in its (exactly as the label mentions) bittersweet follow-through and finish.

Kept me feverishly wanting more after every sip, but presented or balanced in such a way that I was helpless in my desire to savor each sip. Excellent, and perhaps the Old Brewery's best offering.

L-Dark, nearly opaque
S-Lighter than one might guess; all the usual suspects here (choc, toffee, coffe), but held down by a pleaseant astringent note.
T-Stupidly good. Sweet and dry. Rich,yet not cloyingly so. Dried fruit, chocolate, coffee, toffee, some leather(?), dust(?) and some alcohol peeking through. Just excellent.
F-Good weight, but floats on the palate without being too heavy. Bubbles are there, but they aren't "loud".
O-The Gold Standard of Oat Stouts. Nearly perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

This is top-of-the-line beer paradise. A thick, hearty, porridge that is somehow as easy to quaff as a light lager. Beautiful to the eye and a delight to the palate, this is as good as it gets people.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

This is, in my opinion, one of Samuel Smith’s best offerings. The smell is this wonderful roasted barley smell which carries over very well into its flavor as does its silky smooth feel in the mouth. The oatmeal provides a complex flavor to the malted barley and hint of hops. After a sip you might notice an almost dry bittersweet after taste. Truly a grand ale from a grand brewer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Very dark, nearly black, and completely opaque. Not even a hint of highlights at the edge of the glass. This was topped by a dense, creamy, light brown head that showed good retention and stickage.

Smell: Rich aroma with some sharpness from the hops and a bit of earthiness. Maltiness consisted of roasted, caramel, and mild chocolate.

Taste: The malty aromas are echoed in the flavour, but with a little less roasted (although dryness from the roasted barley is present) and a little bit of fruit. Bitterness is just enough to balance the malt and the hop character is on the earthy side. Overall, it starts crisp followed by chocolatey, malty sweetness and finishes with more bitterness and some nuttiness. Great!

Mouthfeel: Full creamy body, aided (I assume) by the oats without making it overly heavy or slick. The low carbonation is just about perfect -- tiny bubbles form in the beer during a sip and add to the velvety texture.

Drinkability: I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and would certainly have another if given the opportunity. I could drink this all night. I'll definitely be looking for it again.

550 mL clear glass bottle. No freshness date.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

(from blog - Written September 28, 2012)

Appearance – Pours dark dark brown with a nice sized creamy tan head. Leaves a good amount of lacing.
Smell – Sweet, chocolate, slight coffee.
Taste – Sugary, mocha, vanilla, coffee, oatmeal.

Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout is like a scoop of coffee ice cream. It is like a sweet piece of velvety chocolate cake with coffee icing resurrected as a beer. Since I think I overdid myself expressing just how damn sweet this beer is, I should also add that it drinks like a Smooth Criminal (lame I know.) An overall amazing beer, looks amazing, smells amazing, tastes amazing and feels amazing.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Very black color with about 1" head.

The taste is just awesome. I didn't think that stouts were my favorite beers, but this could come close. If they have beer in heaven, this one will be on tap. I got two of the 1 pint bottles, one for me, and one for my partner, and we both wish we had gotten more. I know where to get them for the future though.

The drinkability is just great too. The only problem is that it costs a bit much for everyday. I think I'll just save this one for special occasions.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)