Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,186 | Hads: 6,178
4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Just a perfect looking oatmeal stout. Very dark brown with a nice tan head. Head looks frothy and is retaining well. Smell is of very roasty malts, oatmeal and a nice Fuggles aroma. Seems like the perfect nightcap after a night of fantastic beers New Years Eve. Easily my favorite traditional oatmeal stout. Huge oat flavor along with the roasted barley and malts. Nice bittersweet chocolate flavor that gives the beer a dryness. Just fantastically well rounded, gently bittered and perfectly roasty. Not thin like many oatmeal stouts tend to be. Perfectly creamy and chewy. Breakfast in a glass. Low ABV, so this one is superbly drinkable. I could see putting a few of these back while fending off the cold. (708 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

This has always been a classic favorite beer, and one that I recommend to almost anyone looking to get into darker stuff, without sacrificing drinkability and gutting their wallet. A consistent, well rounded and exceptionally well crafted beauty of an oatmeal-stout.

A-Fluffy, permanent creamy head of an off white nature rests mightily upon a pitch black mass which, if held up to the light, produces an array of brown to mahogany highlights.

S- Almost gouda-like fruity notes, with some beautiful chocolate flashes here and there.

T-balanced roast, with some chocolate, a lingering sweetness that is not cloying but provides a long relaxing finish, mixed with some fizzy carbonation which gives way to a sweet smokey flavor. AWESOME!

M- medium, but just enough to create firmness amongst all of the different flavors. Not watery, not thick, just relaxing and beautiful.

D- Its affordable and common enough to be an every day drinker. Why I don't drink this every day? I like trying new stuff, but its an old time favorite and was a great way to smooth out a hectic day.

Cheers, SS! (1,091 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Very black pour, like a black hole with just the slightest hint of a tan head reminding us that there's life out there somewhere. Extremely roasty mouthfeel that warms the palate and the belly as it slides on down. This beer just makes a guy feel loved and at home with the world. Superb. (288 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Sits like a work of art in the glass. Black with a tan caramelly looking head.

S: Not very earthy smelling but the hops are clearly present. The coffee and chocolate makes this just smell mouthwatering. It's not too rich, though; it's nicely balanced by the roast.

T: Perfect. I have yet to have a better tasting beer. Incredibly balanced flavor with the sweetness of the malt and the chocolate being countered by the roast of the coffee and the very mild bitterness that disappears as soon as this is swallowed. Completely clean finish.

M: I'm being a stickler by only giving it a 4.0. The mouthfeel is pretty standard for an oatmeal stout--thicker than a lager but it's not milk. I just want the creaminess of a Belhaven Scottish Ale mixed with the flavor of this beer. It'd be like a milkshake.

O: Everyone in my family likes this beer, and NO ONE else in my family likes beer. It may be the perfect stout for me. (923 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Another premium beer from Samuel Smith Brewery. Enjoyed this one slightly chilled in a pint glass. Poured a deep baker's chocolate brown. Nose had a beautiful bouquet of roasted malts, some faint oats, and bittersweet chocolate. Taste was thick and chewy with dark cocoa, roasted malt, and brewed coffee notes. At the top of my list of favorite dark beers. (356 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

I find myself seeking out this beer over and over again. This is an incredible Oatmeal stout with such a wonder presentation that starts with a smokey roasted coffee smell with a hint of chocolate that gives you a warm inviting feeling before drinking.

It tastes incredibly hearty with a tart but sweet oatmeal overtone that snaps you back to reality with a crisp hop like finish.

I love this beer. (404 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours deep brown. Nice head, dissipates slowly, keeps a rim. Smells nicely of roasted malt, definitely smells like a stout. Very smooth mouthfeel, slightly bitter-sweet aftertaste. Light stout with respect to mouthfeel but maintains a full taste. Very very drinkable, excellent brew. (283 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Deep, deep brown with garnet highlights. Short lasting beige head. Laces glass beautifuly. Deep malty aroma. Tastes excellent, with just the right, very slightly, bitter aftertaste.I persuaded my wife to try it; (her favored choice is Miller Lite!), and she said " not bad for one of those heavy black witches brews you drink!" (327 characters)

550ml BROWN bottle -> pint
part of the holiday gift pack 2006 (thanks dogg)

Pours black with some scarlet hightlight in the light. I giant mocho head settles to a thick mat of tight suds and leaves chunky bunches of lace.

Nose: Oh the memories, one of the first stout i ever drank and first nose i ever appreciated. Roasted malts, a little nutty, a little oatey and little caramelly full wonderful nose.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate malts, caramel, toffee and a little ground coffee beans. Hints of sweet cherry soda pop and a little burnt smoke. Nuts, butterscotch and oatmeal linger off stage and emerge gently as the beer warms. Bitterness is slight but present.

Mouth: Smooth and creamy.A light feel but it swallows thick.

Reminds me of a parking lot in a time long ago.... This beer drinks sweet and smooth. Even after all this time, still a world class stout. (884 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

A: Almost black with dark ruby highlight. Thick creamy tan head with very small bubbles. head sticks around, there is great lacing

S: I get a big whiff of fresh dark breads, A nice malty sweetness here as well. Roasted malt is very restrained in the nose but there is a slight toasty note. No fruitiness or hop aroma to speak of

T: begins with that same fresh bread that is in the smell. moves to a nice malty sweetness (coffee with cream) , followed by the roast character. The beer finishes with a roast character that gives the perception of dryness but there is some residual sweetness that creeps back in. There is not oatmeal flavor present, but as the style suggest its presence rounds out the flavors of the beer which, in my opinion, has definitely happened here.

M: medium-full body, silky smooth but with a slick feel from the oatmeal

D: exceptional on this beer. The flavor is so well put together, it is complex but not overwhelming, the oats do an amazing job or rounding everything out. This beer rolls over your tongue incredibly gracefully and the finish leaves you dying for another sip. Great example of the style (1,137 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A- Jet black with a 2 finger, puffy mocha colored head. The lacing is incredible, leaving nice puffs along the side of the glass. Can't look much better!

S- Roasted malts and dark coffee...and it is intoxicating.

T- Its got this great roasted flavor...the oatmeal adds something beautiful to it. I'm not getting overwhelmed by anything, everything is in perfect harmony...a little coffee, a tad bit of chocolate, and tons of roasted malt goodness.

M- Definitely thick. However, its the good kind of thick...not syrupy, just full of flavor.

D- Oh HELL YEAH. If Sam Smith beers weren't so expensive by the case, I'd bring this to every party I go to. Its the perfect oatmeal stout. (724 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

I loved this. Plain and simple.

It poured beautifully out of a 550 ml bottle -- near opaque black until you hold it up to the light -- then you see some fiery reds through the glass. A thick, creamy light brown head settles on top and lasts throughout the session, leaving beautiful lacing on the side of the glass.

The aroma is of dark roasted coffee beans and bittersweet chocolate.

The taste is very consistent with the aroma -- almost a pungent, sharp, mocha sensation. It finishes nicely with a bittersweet taste that lingers.

The mouthfeel is full and thick. And between the taste and the relatively low ABV, this is certainly a session beer. Particularly since it doesn't feel as heavy as you might think.

Best English beer I've ever had. Best stout I've ever had. About as close to a perfect beer as I can think of. (838 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

A - Dark coffee color with good lacing.

S - Coffee, chocolate, with slight oat.

T - Roasted coffee with chocolate with a light oat flavor.

M - A rich, smooth creamy chocolatey coffee, that has a slight slickness from the oats.

D - An awesome stout. Chocolatey roasted coffee flavors are creamy with the oatmeal giving a silky goodness. The premier example of this style. I could drink 1 or 7 of these anytime of the year. (428 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is my first review and what better to start with than this remarkable oatmeal stout. To begin with I poured from a 1Pt 2.7Floz bottle into my favorite mug. Temp appx. 55deg.

Appearance: The stout pours into a nice dark brown boarder-line black. The head settles nicely after about 45 seconds, but continues to sit throughout the drinking. Overall, very good looking
Smell: A nice robust chocolate scent with a mixture of roasted hints.
Taste:Wonderful smokey tones rush forth and settle on the palate. Truly a Perfect balance of richness and drinkability.
Mouthfeel: Not too heavy but just right. Almost a soft/silky feel
Drinkability: I honestly have to say that this could possibly be my favorite oatmeal stout. Wait a few moments after each sip and savor the complex flavors that continue to dance on the palate. Each sip begs for another to follow. What a treat. (873 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

One of the most drinkable oatmeal stouts I have ever tasted. I enjoy the results of fermentation in slate tanks. It has the best appearance, taste, and smell of them all. I like the fact that it is not too strong, so you can have several. I enjoy that it has no cloying sweetness and a crisp aftertaste. This stout has a luxurious mouthfeel and can be counted on to deliver everytime. (384 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

And here is the always yummy Sammy Smith's Oatmeal. This is the first stout other than Guinness that I ever tried. It's the first beer that got me into drinking better beer. I owe this beer a lot. It's the best beer to come out of a clear bottle, that's for sure. Nowadays, I'd have to say I prefer the Imperial Stout offering by Sammy Smith's. But this is one stout I will always fall back upon and enjoy thoroughly. It's damn near opaque with a well-retaining tan head. The aroma is mostly burnt chocolate malt, faint coffee, sweetness, and hops. Same goes with the flavor as far as I'm concerned. It has a buttery, if slightly thin but still thick enough for a stout mouthfeel. And it's creamy....drinkable as all hell. I only prefer the Imperial because I'm on a robust kick. But this stout is truly amazing and has never let me down. The clear bottle has always scared me, but it's always fresh when I buy it. (914 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is by far my favorite beer of all time. Since I had my first one at Smoking Joe's many years ago I am truly in love with this beer.

A: A nice tar like Stout color with a rich tawny head seemingly juxtaposed to the dark body. There is almost no carbonation visible in the beer at all adding to its smooth mouth feel. The head lingers on as it is being enjoyed.

S: It smells of oatmeal living up to its name. It also has a strong roasted characteristic. You can also smell the stone that it was brewed in.

T: Malty and roasted. There are hints of coffee in the overall Chuck Norris kick of oats. You can also taste the stone that it was brewed in.

M: The word smooth is the one that dominates.It is thick and coating. It goes down and warms the soul as it brings satisfaction to the taste buds.

D:It will go down smooth and is surprisingly not as heavy as it looks. It is appropriate in the winter as it is in the summer. Drink with steak and soups. (957 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

definetly something i can sit down to a good video game or movie or bon fire or even have next to me while on the grill...

this beer doesnt leave you wishing they did something different... as a matter of fact i tried samual smiths taddy porter and i thought i would never like any of there other beers any more... then.... one day there it was on the shelves of the Alteck beer store... 4.50 a bottle... thats about average for a good beer here in okinawa... so i hoped it would live up to its price... and let me tell ya

at close range with a 12 gauge shotgun... this beer hit taddy porter right in the face and nocked it off my list of top 5... because this just raised the bar on a good beer... it sits up there with the 3 chimays and lion stout damn good beer... (769 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

So I like meals in a glass you can't see through. I wanted to see how a stout from the British Isles measured up. This one is awesome.

The texture of the off white head reminded me of the frothed milk you get on a really good latte. It was smooth and thick and unfortunately didn't last all that long. The dark almost black brew looked great.

There wasn't a powerful aroma but a gentle touch is sometimes all you need.

After the first drink it felt like sweet and acidic notes were messing around just waiting so that the second drink would melt around those flavors. The nutty, roasty flavor works its shift and leaves the sweetness and that little tang so it can start the process all over again.

The liquid feels substantial in your mouth, just a slight effervescence to stimulate the taste buds. Its rich without feeling too heavy.

Delicious drink. Always a good idea to try an old master that has been around awhile. (926 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a mug.

A - Near opaque chocolately black in color, letting no light through. A 1 inch tan head persists for about 10 minutes that leaves sticky lacing clinging to the glass. As my roommate says: "that looks like 10w-40."

S - Aroma of sweet molasses malt, combined with the slightest hints of coffee, a certain nuttiness, roasted chocolate and an oak-like brown sugar.

T - The first wave to hit your tongue is the molasses taste, with hints of darker chocolate and brown sugar. The molasses and brown sugar persist through the sip, with a twinge of coffee and carbonation near the end, all with an oatmeal backdrop present throughout.

MF - One of the smoothest mouthfeels in a brew I have encountered. Smooth silk-like creamy, medium to full-bodied with the slightest hint of carbonation lurking in the background.

D - One of the most drinkable brews, with a lower ABV. However, if you don't have a slightly larger stomach you will fill up slightly quicker. Hell, if I could afford it I would drink this every single day. Hands down, one of my favorite (if not my favorite) beers of all time.

Notes: Simply one of the greatest tasting brews I have ever had. And until now I hadn't reviewed it for some reason. Please, pick up some and treat yourself to one of the finest crafted beers. (1,322 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is the very first full beer I ever drank (back about seven years ago), so this is a very nostalgic brew for me, and a very GOOD one to have cut my teeth on.

I purchased it from the HiWay 66 Liquor in Claremore, OK, in a clear glass bottle. The appearance on this beer was beyond exceptional. It was extremely dark, black you might say. I held the bottle up to the sun, and the sun went away!

The smell was more complex than I can describe-burnt malts, hops; a definite beer smell that was both inviting and skunk-free despite the clear bottle. Very Nice!

The taste and mouthfeel are really where this beer excels...Taste was of dark roasted malts, with some hints of coffee, caramel, and lots of hops! It was silky smooth, and I could taste almost no alcohol.

The mouthfeel was very thick, almost chewy; this is much hardier than I am used to for sure! The aftertaste was also awesome: the dark malts and coffee hung around from swallow to swallow, and left me wanting more and more the more I drank it.

I definitley reccomend this beer to anyone looking for something outside of the usual stuff available. It is a bit pricey, but it definitley worth the money.

Prost! (1,180 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I still remember the first time I tried Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Fifteen years ago and still nothing has surpassed it at the top of my beerymid. Perhaps it's my affinity for stouts but I can never get enough of this beer. It's a constant struggle each trip to the store not to go back to this and force myself to try something new on the shelf.

Heavy enough to keep you warm during the cold months yet smooth enough it's still during during the dog days of summer. (467 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a light ink black in color with a two finger foamy head. Aroma of burnt malts and some chocolate. Sweet and creamy, slippery smooth, somewhat acidic and smokey. Some dark roast coffee and a slightly dry finish, leaves you yearning for more. Incredible stout, should own it's own category. (294 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

It was a classic night at Porters Pub in Easton and this was beer #4. After helping my buddy close out his list, it was my turn to choose a brew from the famed list and this was my pick. It was a nice of well reputed classics and this next one was up for the challenge.

A: A creamy tan head tops the dark chocolate liquid that, plenty of lacing webs the glass.

S: Very roasty, with dark chocolate, mocha and oats.

T: Starts with roasted grain and oat flavors and is quickly joined by mocha and dark chocolate. The balance and smoothness in the finish is remarkable.

M: Medium to full body, with a creamy texture; moderate carbonation.

D: WOW, my first Sam Smith's and I'm amazed how they get a beer this robust in 5% ABV. My first true Stout from Englad and what an experience, I can see how these guys have lasted so long. I can't wait to try some of Sam Smith's other brews (Brown Ale and Impy Stout are first on the list). This is a MUST have for the beer lover and especially for the Stout lover! Another huge shout out for Porter's Pub in Easton, PA! (1,060 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A- almost completely black, has a small amount of burgundy highlights around the edges. it some ways i looks nearly the color of a black plum, then again maybe the spring sunshine is playing tricks on me. huge spongy tan foam is aerated and full of air pockets and little bubbles. it's a real lace monster too and it compresses down to a thick creamy disk and never really goes away.

S-sweet cream, rosated malt, stone hard water, spiced bread and dark fruit, plum, raisin, toffee, maybe a little molasses. there's a savory side as well with meaty roast pork, and smoky grilled mushrooms. earthy herbal hops, fresh bread and biscuit mingle with soft coffee and cocoa aromas making kind of a burnt chocolate chip cookie.

T- much more semi-sweet chocolate chip flavor then aroma, and very very watered down coffee (not to say the beer is watered down-- it's def. not), buttery oatmeal with brown sugar, resinous hops add balance appearing in the middle and lasting through the finish. dark black cherry, prune, and raisin soaked in brandy and bitters. as it warms woodsy, oak, pine, and tobacco, rich soil and compost, very earthy, very natural, as if this baby came out of a magical spring in the forest or something.

MF- mildly powdery feeling from the oatmeal lends a definite creaminess to the body and also adds somewhat of a cooling effect, like the feel of mint. medium-mid low carbonation is perfectly on the level. this one's thick and rich, coating and resinous.

D- full of pure natural flavor, one of the things that appeals to me most about sam smith is the taste of the water. i wish i could get it by the gallon. all their beers seem so classy and traditional, and are entirely drinkable. this oatmeal is no different. (1,735 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)