Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,186 | Hads: 6,178
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into a Tulip. Paid £2.90 for a single bottle.

Pours an opaque, dark, inky black body with a slight ruby tinge that remains unchanged when held to the light. A two-finger in height, frothy, mocha coloured head reduces quickly to a thin cap, leaving behind small amounts of thick, sticky lacing.

The nose is light overall. Mild roasted malts, light brown sugar and earthy yeast are the most noticeable aromas with a touch of coffee and dark stone fruit in the background. The taste leads with lightly roasted malts and brown sugar sweetness before giving way to ripe, fleshy, dark stone fruit. A gentle roasted bitterness gradually builds from the mid-palate onwards and is joined towards the end with dark chocolate, sharp coffee bean, earthy yeast, as well as hard water and stone minerals to give a slightly dry, bittersweet finish. In the mouth, superbly fine carbonation and the noticeable addition of oatmeal give a silky smooth and creamy texture, but the medium body is a little lacking in weight and heft for the style.

Overall this is a very good beer, the mineral qualities from the stone fermentation process add a genuinely unique and interesting character but ultimately, the smell, taste and feel are all a little too light and delicate for my tastes. The relatively low ABV% and huge drinkability however make it an excellent choice as a session beer or a great accompaniment to a hearty meal, for these purposes I would certainly recommend it. (1,477 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very subtle in all its departments except the malted barley. Didn't really get the robustness I was looking for, and seemed almost watered down. Guess I was looking for an oatmeal stout that would smack me in the face with flavor. (230 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As near perfect Stout as I can imagine. Smooth, perfectly balanced, so easy and pleasurable to sip. Silk, chocolate, mouth feel beyond compare. A classic that lives up to its reputation. (186 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is an iconic beer that I first enjoyed 20 years ago. I holds up well. Cola colored pour with some mocha foam. Scents of toffee and molasses. Taste is of caramel, English toffee, and maple. Very reminiscent of the old Werther's candies. Smooth and easy to drink.

This is the baseline for the style, and a timeless one at that. Be sure to experience this one. (370 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

Aroma: Alcohol sweetness jumps straight out in front. Moderate oatmeal and raisin bran. Smells a lot like a highly alcoholic oatmeal raisin cookie.

Appearance: Opaque black, no light getting through this one. Low, dense tan had that persists.

Flavor: Rich and full roastiness without being bitter. Tastes much like it smells, with a lot of oatmeal, dark bread crust, moderately raisiny. Finishes quite dry with a lingering alcohol sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Big, thick body with low carbonation.

Overall Impression: The aroma is pretty startling at first. The alcohol smell detracts and overwhelms a lot of the malt character going on. It is absolutely delicious. I can't shake the feeling that it tastes like an oatmeal cookie soaked in rich alcohol. Very pleasant and complex. Would make a great dessert. (819 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a black color with a toffee painted head. 2 finger head out of the bottle. Great head retention with lacing very present; leaves a thick, frothy ring around the entire glass.

S - Sweet, roasted aroma hits you up front that slowly dissipates into an equally as sweet chocolate and oatmeal aroma. Very subdued note of coffee beans present as well. Simplistic yet incredible.

T - Not what I was hoping for with the look and smell. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate.

M - Light to medium body. Nice texture, good carbonation compared to most stouts.

O - Good surprise. Was sitting in the back of friends refrigerator at a fantasy draft. Not a bad stout. (710 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is dark to where no light can go through. It barely had a head to it. It has a very sweet smell to it. Able to taste the roasted malts. A lot better as it warms. (171 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

MFV 2015. Kinda weird smell, but good flavor, which doesn't make any sense, but that's my opinion. Not as much deep flavor as buffalo sweat, but very drinkable. (160 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the bottle with a deep, nearly-black brown color, topped by only a thin foamy head. The aroma is light and clean, with a dry combination of oats, minerals, and lightly roasted grain. The roasted grains are present in the flavor as well, along with notes of bittersweet chocolate and dry toast. The mouthfeel is light but not watery. Overall, this one is rich and malty without being heavy. (400 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a black color with a toffee painted head. Great head retention with lacing very present; leaves a thick, frothy ring around the entire glass.

S - A beautiful aroma radiates from the beer. Dominantly sweet with no hints of bitterness present. A very sweet, roasted aroma hits you up front that slowly dissipates into an equally as sweet chocolate and oatmeal (shocking I know) aroma. Very subdued note of coffee beans present as well. Simplistic yet incredible.

T - I had been hoping for a little bit more here; I think it might just be my personal tastes but every oatmeal stout I've had never lived up to what I expected. Very good taste overall though, I did enjoy it though, like before, was expecting something else. Roasted malts and coffee notes up front, followed quickly by the oatmeal flavorings. The beer finishes with a hint of brown sugar that leaves a lingering aftertaste.

M - Wow! Aside from not being a heavy or full bodied beer, the mouthfeel is nearly perfect. Medium bodied though feels a little lighter on the back-end. Very smooth and silky feeling beer with each sip with an optimal amount of carbonation that doesn't assault the mouth.

O - An amazing beer overall with a spectacular feel though the taste didn't live up to what I had expected and hoped for. The beer would be very fitting for the winter I feel like. (1,355 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours nearly black with a light tan head which retains well and leaves spotty lace. Mild roast malt aroma with a nutty and chocolate flavor. Creamy and smooth finish. (166 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours black under a 3” frothy tan foam collar that produces thick lace.
S: Not a lot of aroma, some light roast.
T: Dark malts, roast, coffee, oat creaminess, cola, faint fruit. A light grainy astringency and mild hop bitterness balance the light sweetness from the malt.
F: Very creamy, moderate carbonation and full body. Has the oatmeal stout silky texture.
O: Very easy to drink with a good balance of flavors in a rich creamy texture. (448 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had many oatmeal stouts and was pretty put off by Anderson Valleys recently. This one from Samuel Smith (which happens to be my first beer by them) is excellent though. (176 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals. (174 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very nice beer. I didn't enjoy this as much as their chocolate stout, but still a solid brew that I would have again. My biggest complaint about this beer is that it isn't as smooth as the chocolate variety. (209 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

At 50°F poured into a clean Nonic Pint glass, palate and nose cleansed.

Appearance: This pours Black but when held eye level there is natural light penetration presenting a Darker Browner tint. There is an index finger of “glittering”, foamy head which dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Initially the nose presents, to me, the usual ancient well water smell followed by roasty, bready malt and as it warms the other usual characteristics of a stout present itself, mainly the cocoa.

Taste: The taste is concurrent with the smell, that of bread, oats and a nice cocoa finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a slight crisp, drier feel to it at the back of the throat.

Overall: The balance of the stout flavors and oats are excellent. As a novice I have grown to really appreciate the basic styles brewed right. Samuel Smith’s, as a brewery, is one of my anchors when I become fatigued with the complex experimentations of others. While my only critique is the lack of viscous mouthfeel of their stouts I have learned how to appreciate it. This is another great offering from Sam Smith which I will keep in my regular rotation throughout the year. (1,185 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful mahogany color with a thick tan head and great retention. The smell is lovely with roasted coffee, caramel, and chocolate. The taste highlights the malt, with some nuttiness, coffee, caramel, chocolate and a hint of bitterness. The feel was perfect, silky and chewy. Great thick finish. (300 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black, tan foam, bread, cereal, chocolate, coffee, roasty, licorice, vanilla, medium sweetness, lightly bitter, medium body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish.Thoroughly enjoyed this. A standout in my book. Highly recommended! (230 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured black with a nice and creamy tan head, leaving behind good lacing in the glass.

Smell: At first I picked out roasted malt, a bit of coffee and cocoa with oatmeal. On second sniff I picked out dark cherries and other dark fruits with a very faint hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts on the taste. Slight hint of the dark fruit to back it up. I also can pick out the oatmeal in the taste.

Feel: Nice and creamy but a little bit watery for my liking. I wish it had a bit of a thicker mouth feel for an oatmeal stout but I have to remember it is only 5% ABV and not a RIS. The wateriness does not take away from the experience of the beer.

Overall: I like this oatmeal stout very much. It is a sessionable brew with nice flavors to match the nose. My only gripe is the thinner mouth feel. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts/oatmeal stouts. (902 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark brown with a big 2 inch off-white slight beige head. Smell metallic, yeast, sweet malt, chocolate, bread, and vanilla. Taste is light watery, with a cherry and malt flavor. A bit of chocolate and also a bit of bitter, overall sweet. Mouth feel is full but the body is watery and sweet with a tinge of sour. (324 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Good beer, not great. The hype on these Sam Smith beers isn’t lived up to, I’m finding. Oh well. I’ve tried two, a third is chilling. We’ll see. (156 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I tried this beer before I tried their Imperial Stout. The stout is better. Not by much but better. Idk something about this beer didn't sit right with me. Looked n poured great, perfect head. Smell was a little off to me like bitter oats and metal? Taste was watered down for my typical expectations. Would actually recommend The Poet by Founders before this. Looking forward to trying the Tady Porter tho... hopefully thats niiice. (434 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I don't know what the magic mineral is in that ancient well that Sam Smith credits as the secret to their delicious brews, but it works wonders here. I consider this to be the standard against which I measure all other stouts. I suppose that should make it a perfect 5, but I think each individual characteristic could actually be improved upon. The head could be a little bigger or the smell could be a little more dynamic. Taken as a whole however, everything comes together perfectly. (488 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Not only am I about to consume an Oatmeal Stout for your reading (and my tasting) pleasure but this is none other than Samuel Smith's much celebrated and widely known in all the counties of England and further ashore including Ireland, the Isle of Man and Jersey Islands invigorating, energising and revitalising Oatmeal Stout†. Or something along those lines - the label did look like it had been designed in the 1850’s. And you know what? Frugality like that (i.e. not paying for rebranding in over a hundred years) is rare these days and Samuel Smith has it in spades, cheers Mr. Smith!

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Well I accidentally hard poured a khaki head of 2 inches... looks good though with its deep dark cola body. Can’t wait to dive in... yep *taps fingers*. 8/10.

S: Espresso coffee notes mingle with hints of dark fruit and a melange of roasted barley and rolled oats... possibly the most porridge-like beer my nose has inhaled. I like it when my Oatmeal Stouts have oat aromas, like a big glass of breakfast! 8/10.

T: Damn tasty. More on the dark fruit side than coffee/chocolate with those oats really coming in to play with flavour and body. They (the oats) take on dry/tannic qualities towards the finish and there is an amalgamation of bitter/dry/sour/sweet characters that really make this fine Stout shine. Did I mention this is ‘damn tasty’? Oh... right... well this is Stouts finest hour. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a fairly lively carbonation. Oats = Chewy. 8/10.

D: Again I’m a big fan of the Samuel Smith’s ales, they’ve all so far been like getting inside a time machine and going back to the 19th century where men were men and women were men too (everyone was a bit hardier back then overall). If you want a real damn tasty and luxurious Stout then look no further. 10/10.

Food match: Back in 1852 when you had to work 16 hrs a day you would generally eat gruel and drink 18 pints of Stout, people wore hats that contained small anvils to help strengthen their neck muscles. Today however beef stew is a better option.

†Thesaurus Nazis will have noted that the three words ‘invigorating’, ‘energising’ and ‘revitalising’ all mean the same thing, congratulations‡. *slow clap*

‡Syntax Nazis will have noted that I used the ‘dagger’ character BEFORE and instead of the ‘asterisk’ character for my footnote, congratulations. *slow clap* (2,435 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again. (885 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)