Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,108 | Reviews: 2,229
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

At 50°F poured into a clean Nonic Pint glass, palate and nose cleansed.

Appearance: This pours Black but when held eye level there is natural light penetration presenting a Darker Browner tint. There is an index finger of “glittering”, foamy head which dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Initially the nose presents, to me, the usual ancient well water smell followed by roasty, bready malt and as it warms the other usual characteristics of a stout present itself, mainly the cocoa.

Taste: The taste is concurrent with the smell, that of bread, oats and a nice cocoa finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a slight crisp, drier feel to it at the back of the throat.

Overall: The balance of the stout flavors and oats are excellent. As a novice I have grown to really appreciate the basic styles brewed right. Samuel Smith’s, as a brewery, is one of my anchors when I become fatigued with the complex experimentations of others. While my only critique is the lack of viscous mouthfeel of their stouts I have learned how to appreciate it. This is another great offering from Sam Smith which I will keep in my regular rotation throughout the year.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black, tan foam, bread, cereal, chocolate, coffee, roasty, licorice, vanilla, medium sweetness, lightly bitter, medium body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish.Thoroughly enjoyed this. A standout in my book. Highly recommended!

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Its good, I like more simple stouts, not a huge fan of oatmeal, but it has a real nice bitterness to it. It also looks and pours beautifully.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured black with a nice and creamy tan head, leaving behind good lacing in the glass.

Smell: At first I picked out roasted malt, a bit of coffee and cocoa with oatmeal. On second sniff I picked out dark cherries and other dark fruits with a very faint hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts on the taste. Slight hint of the dark fruit to back it up. I also can pick out the oatmeal in the taste.

Feel: Nice and creamy but a little bit watery for my liking. I wish it had a bit of a thicker mouth feel for an oatmeal stout but I have to remember it is only 5% ABV and not a RIS. The wateriness does not take away from the experience of the beer.

Overall: I like this oatmeal stout very much. It is a sessionable brew with nice flavors to match the nose. My only gripe is the thinner mouth feel. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts/oatmeal stouts.

3.52/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark dark brown with a big 2 inch off-white slight beige head. Smell metallic, yeast, sweet malt, chocolate, bread, and vanilla. Taste is light watery, with a cherry and malt flavor. A bit of chocolate and also a bit of bitter, overall sweet. Mouth feel is full but the body is watery and sweet with a tinge of sour.

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Did not like this at all. No idea how it has such a high rating.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Smooth, tasty. We also used it in a pot roast. Excellent idea.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Good but not great. Perhaps the bar was set too high for the Sam Smith brand, but I expected more from this one.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Have loved this beer since I was 16 drinking it in Phish show parking lots. Bombers FTW. Still delicious.

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Decent beer a little watery probably won't ever buy again

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Good beer, not great. The hype on these Sam Smith beers isn’t lived up to, I’m finding. Oh well. I’ve tried two, a third is chilling. We’ll see.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious Stout for any stout fan. Smooth and a little more carbonated than most stouts but very tasty.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer for a readily available oatmeal stout at a solid price

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smell: roastiness, very much stout like. Lovely
Surprisingly, some tartness aftertaste. Great taste. Complex, sweet, malty. Will have again

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I tried this beer before I tried their Imperial Stout. The stout is better. Not by much but better. Idk something about this beer didn't sit right with me. Looked n poured great, perfect head. Smell was a little off to me like bitter oats and metal? Taste was watered down for my typical expectations. Would actually recommend The Poet by Founders before this. Looking forward to trying the Tady Porter tho... hopefully thats niiice.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Overall it was not bad but the taste could have been a bit stronger and it was a very small head (even when poured slow) good but not great

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Luckily for me I have had hundreds of these in my lifetime.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Not only am I about to consume an Oatmeal Stout for your reading (and my tasting) pleasure but this is none other than Samuel Smith's much celebrated and widely known in all the counties of England and further ashore including Ireland, the Isle of Man and Jersey Islands invigorating, energising and revitalising Oatmeal Stout†. Or something along those lines - the label did look like it had been designed in the 1850’s. And you know what? Frugality like that (i.e. not paying for rebranding in over a hundred years) is rare these days and Samuel Smith has it in spades, cheers Mr. Smith!

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Well I accidentally hard poured a khaki head of 2 inches... looks good though with its deep dark cola body. Can’t wait to dive in... yep *taps fingers*. 8/10.

S: Espresso coffee notes mingle with hints of dark fruit and a melange of roasted barley and rolled oats... possibly the most porridge-like beer my nose has inhaled. I like it when my Oatmeal Stouts have oat aromas, like a big glass of breakfast! 8/10.

T: Damn tasty. More on the dark fruit side than coffee/chocolate with those oats really coming in to play with flavour and body. They (the oats) take on dry/tannic qualities towards the finish and there is an amalgamation of bitter/dry/sour/sweet characters that really make this fine Stout shine. Did I mention this is ‘damn tasty’? Oh... right... well this is Stouts finest hour. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a fairly lively carbonation. Oats = Chewy. 8/10.

D: Again I’m a big fan of the Samuel Smith’s ales, they’ve all so far been like getting inside a time machine and going back to the 19th century where men were men and women were men too (everyone was a bit hardier back then overall). If you want a real damn tasty and luxurious Stout then look no further. 10/10.

Food match: Back in 1852 when you had to work 16 hrs a day you would generally eat gruel and drink 18 pints of Stout, people wore hats that contained small anvils to help strengthen their neck muscles. Today however beef stew is a better option.

†Thesaurus Nazis will have noted that the three words ‘invigorating’, ‘energising’ and ‘revitalising’ all mean the same thing, congratulations‡. *slow clap*

‡Syntax Nazis will have noted that I used the ‘dagger’ character BEFORE and instead of the ‘asterisk’ character for my footnote, congratulations. *slow clap*

2.37/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again.

This is my gold-standard for oatmeal stouts. It is so good I almost don't want to drink it. Every oatmeal stout has something, some quality, that I would adjust in some way, except this one. Perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely fantastic beer - this brewery knows stouts. Like big time.

4.17/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Taste got better and sweeter as the beer warmed up a bit a glass. Not too much chocolate or coffee, mainly oats. Great looking beer! Would buy again.

Nice head. Good smell of English yeast. The front is malt, yeast, and roast. Every now and then I get the slightest hint of raise on the first drink when there is still good head. When held to light in a pint glass it is a deep dark reddish brown. You can see through it. A quality I always appreciate. Nice and smooth in the mouth as a patty stout should be. It's a great beer. In my top 5 stouts.

Wow this stout blew me away. Pours black with a slight layer of tan foam. It's a traditional oatmeal stout which means it's perfect for any time of the day, particularly breakfast. The low ABV makes it easy to drink without getting drunk and adds to its smooth quality. Fantastic beer, best oatmeal stout I've ever had the pleasure of trying.

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth i am a quad drinker so for my first oatmeal stout i dont really have any other to compare it too. Im like stronger beers but this is pretty damn smooth and refreshing

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)