Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,137
3.95/5  rDev -6%

A very black offering with a thick tan crown, then, thin lace with marginal cling and a thick bubbled ring.
The body is full. Carbonation by apperance is unknown.
Nose has a malty sweetness about it.
Interesting taste in that chocolate is obvious, yet bitter.
A malty linger sensation to end which was short.
Slight syrupy mouthfeel on closing.
Not a session brew but very nice for dining. (395 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -47.1%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery. (564 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

I had this a few nights ago at a tavern in the 355 ml bottle and wasn't impressed (old, musty, excessively yeasty). But I decided to give it another shot for this review, and picked up a 550 ml bottle from a different establishment. So: pours a deep, deep brown; basically black at the center; rosewood/chestnut highlights appear when brew is held to light. Not much of a head on first pour, just a thin film of foam... a more vigorous pouring on the second attempt revealed an off-white to tan, dusky head about two fingers deep that eventually settled slightly. And the aroma... what a difference there was between this bottle and my previous sample! So much fresher, with a pleasant smell of fresh bread, rolled oats and a raisiny touch up front, sustained by a pervasive cream sherry sweetness throughout. The flavor continues the trend: more distinct cream sherry tones accompany a dark (almost pumpernickel?), oatmealy midpalate while remaining subtle and light. Suggestions of black bread, prunes, and puffed wheat cereal round everything out, punctuated by a bit of English hop dryness. Near perfect mouthfeel. Creamy and light, stunningly silky and smooth, but also tingly, dry, and warming... almost distributes itself across the palate without you even trying. Nowhere near the density I expected from such mealy flavors and aromas. Drinkability is hampered (if you can call it that) only because the brew is deeply satiating and filling--a beer to be savored and slowly digested--a bottle at a time will be enough. Tasty; soothing. Recommended. (1,556 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Deep, dark, mahogany pour with a thick, lush, frothy head that lasts and lasts, leaving creamy lace everywhere.
Smell: Roasted malt, earthy, espresso and bitter chocolate.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Stunningly rich, smooth, and creamy malt start, followed by an alcohol/carbonation tingle, that subsides with a semi-dry hop finish that allows some of the roasty, earthy, malt sweetness to linger in the aftertaste.
Drinkability: Obviously a tremendous stout. The oatmeal takes some of the more exciting stout edges off IMO, but if this is all I can find to complain about, I'm in heaven. (594 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

One word comes to mind when I drink this brew...smoothe! This beer poures a dark dark brown with just a little light being able to sneak through the edges and a nice tan head that leaves a nice lace down to the last drop. The smell has hints of roasted toffee and carmel and a little bit of coffee scent as well. The taste is out of this world, not only is is the smoothest stout you could ask for, it tastes just as it smells with a carmel, toffee and coffee flavor but with just the right ammount of sweetness to round it out. This is a great dark beer to give someone to introduce them to the stout/porter style. (615 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 550ml clear bottle. No freshness date.

Opaque brown. Sticky rosy tan head with excellent retention. Subtle earthy and sweet aroma with hints of roasted malt. Taste walks a fine line between strong earthy malt and milky sweetness. A touch of hops makes it's presence known toward the finish although it quickly yields to a burnt coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth.

It's been a while since I've had one, and I had forgotten how wonderful this beer is. The usual complaints about the clear bottles not withstanding, Samuel Smith has always been one of my favorites. While not my favorite from them, this one is still a top notch brew. As has been mentioned before, this is great intro stout for those looking to delve into the style. (766 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle. Quite a surprise to find the bottle clear, but the top is foil wrapped and the pour is a very dark brown. Thick beige head eventually calms down to reveal a bit of the cherry color on the outside rim that was noted by some other reviewers. Don't know where that cherry hue comes from, but it makes for an exceptional appearance. Dark malts and chocolate dominate the nose, but there are hints of fresh baked bread and cooked oatmeal. Smooth, full bodied and filling in the mouth. Taste is of a well balanced stout that ehoes the nose. Very tasty. I took my time with this one because it's just too good to finish(it's my only one). One of the best that I've reviewed. My only complaint is a somewhat unpleasant syrupy aftertaste, but I guess that goes with the territory. Can't wait to get some more of these. I like oatmeal, stouts, and English brews, so a quality oatmeal stout like this is very seductive to my senses and perspective, as well as my sense of perspective. (1,007 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: black pour with a generous tan head that slims donw after a few moments.

Smell: plenty of roasted malt and enormous hints of cocoa. i little chocolatey as well. a very apetizing nose.

Taste: again, a nice roatsed flavour of oates and malt. hints of cocoa and chovolate give the beer nice body without being heavy. a very nicely, lingering finish that leaves a chalky-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth with still a hint of liveliness. leans toward a dry and fullfilling finish.

Drinkability: world class. one of the best oatmeal stout sin the world, hands down. (580 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This review earns my mug for 100 karma points, so I had to pick a top 50 beer I hadn’t reviewed yet. A quick review of my stock showed I hadn’t reviewed one of my favorites, so here we go. Note: stored this beer on its side in a drawer in my beer fridge (space issue, not a conscious choice). Held the beer for a good 6 months that way, and noted when I opened it, it tried to gush. Tried to: head formed up to just above the lip, but held steady there. Clear bottle (ick) 550 ml bomber with foil cap, no date.
Aroma: Roasted malt with a hint of hop. A has that classic stout nose, much like Guinness. Bread like notes are prominent.
Appearance: Black, with strong back light showing, well… the slightest clear black. Hefty tan head of 3 fingers when poured settled down to a brown coat with a variety of large and small bubbles. Nice thick lace graced my mug, and the head lasted throughout my beer.
Flavor: The deep roasted malt and oats give a rich earthy goodness to the overall flavor, and I tasted the hops deep in there keeping the brew well balanced. The profile seems to go: sweet rich malt, gentle twang of hops, odd metallic low point, concluding with a smooth long semi-sweet chocolate finish.
Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy with lots of chew. No carbonation noted and a slight numbing tingle experienced in the aftertaste. Very smooth stuff. The oats give a nice coating to your whole mouth that slowly fades into the sunset.
Overall Impression: Hard to figure how such a heavy, rich tasting beer comes off as light and refreshing. This is an excellent beer all around, and a personal favorite, but that odd metallic bottoming out spot is a bit distracting. It may be due to my unorthodox storage, or I may have let this one go a bit longer than I should have. Beautiful balance, wonderful quality, chug-ability, just about everything you could want in a beer. Scratches every beer itch I have. Strongly recommended. (1,950 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout scared me very much!

As a beer drinker I have not yet moved up to the darker stout beers. I still think Guiness is mud! With that I said hell lets give this Oatmeal Stout a try.

At Petersons liquor store on rte. 70/Brielle Bridge I purchased the 550 ml bottle ($3.75)

This beer poured a very dark reddish brown with a fluffy dark tan head.
The smell was of burnt coffee- that worried me!
The first sip proved that it was velvety smooth and soft.
The taste was actually very good! It was a light coffee/chocolate flavor that wasn't bitter or harsh yet smooth and enjoyable.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a very good sipping beer that would go nice with a meal. Enjoy slowly.

Not a chugging or partying beer! (754 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I bought a 550ml bottle for $2.99. It poured a very dark brown, much like the imperial stout. Much sweeter taste. Less fruiter than the imperial which tasted like raisins. This is sweet yet subtle in the oatmeal flavor. A very dark malt is present in this one. I drink it alot at Phish concerts, and it is a favortie choice at home. I do like the imperiral stout more, however. (377 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

This stout has a sharp, "bite" to it, with the mild stouty oat flavor. Delicious to drink for sampling and for those Friday nights. It's flavor is different than other oatmeals and is more highly recommended for those wanting to try an oatmeal. It captures the essence of oatmeals without the taste disappearing due to nitrous cans. (332 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +11%

Pours a wonderful tan head and is black as a moonless, starless night. I just had to dip my pointer finger into the foam, as if it were whipped cream. The appearance is that tempting. Super-tight carbonation and the lacing is well-provided.

This oatmeal stout is remarkably smooth, undeniably accessible, and a true gem in the beer world. The taste has a true award-winning style. Smells of black licorice, leather, earth, and freshly ground coffee beans. Full malt flavors, even a mild taste of what I would call an "Irish Cream" flavor. Rich, buttery smoothness...and the finish is as mild and friendly as a tall, cold glass of milk after woofing down some homemade chocolate chip cookies. There is a nuance of a "chew" in the finish and an tiny note of spice in the end. (I think I am tasting something nutmeg-like.) Vinous feel from this offering, perhaps a California Zinfandel? A comparison to ponder and test out.

I like this as my dessert. I don't need much else.

I could consider this a "comfort beer". I'm going to miss it when it is gone. (1,059 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This one certainly deserves its place on the Top50 list.

A: Dark brown, attractive color, a meedium off white head is slow to fade but leaves littel lace down the glass

S: Fruity smell with a deep overtone that defies recognition (at least I couldn't identify it). Very nice

T: Wow! Sweet caramel and raisins with a complex, well crafted malt profile. Each mouthful highlights just a little different taste in the beer. Sure keeps you interested.

M: Smooth and creamy, it lingers just long enough without interfering with anything else.

D: Very drinkable, I hnestly expected a bitter taste, but not at all.

Highly recommended, this is a GREAT beer. (667 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a very dark black/red with just a hint of light coming through. Alcohol is the first thing I smell followed by some cherry and fig.

The taste is quite earthy and smokey. I definitely get some dark fruit in there as well. Plum maybe? Very smooth and solid mouthfeel, with an almost too dry finish for an oatmeal stout.

Very complex and tasty, but I think it's a little overhyped. (390 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9%

What can I say about this one that hasn't already been said. I will add a few things that stand out in my mind. Increadible silky mouthfeel. I find it to have a smoked or chared malt flavor to it as venom stated but also some really peaty undertones like a Scotish ale. Also did notice a red wine finish in its dryness. Awesome any way you slice it. (349 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Ah, this puts most other Oatmeal Stouts to shame. Smooth, silky, lots of coffee and chocolate flavors coming through with a light hop touch to keep you looking for another. I enjoyed this with some steamers on a recent night out. In fact, I enjoyed two. Nothing over the top about this beer, just plain fantastic. (313 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 18.7oz. translucent bottle; no "best before" or "bottled on" date; purchased for $2.49 from Trader Joe's.

Appearance: Completely opaque; smallish, cocoa-brown head; a nice c-cup's worth of lacing; head hangs around for about a minute.

Aroma: Nicely of chocolate and plums with just a hint of cherry.

Taste: Decidedly like its nose; large notes of bittersweet chocolate, plums and cherry wrestle each other like a pack of greasy monkeys; decently sweet with a mild, roasty bitterness; subtly earthen; mild, acidic twang; full bodied with a smooth, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Six thumbs up. (611 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

the last time i tried Samuel Smith, it was Imperial Stout. I didn't get the carbonation that i was longing for. i was worried about this beer having the same quality. thankfully, i was wrong! this beer has an exellent tan head that lasts a good time.

it tastes as good as it looks. (typical quality stout flavors and smells abound)

the thing that really got me about this beer was it's aftertaste that lingers and transforms from one great thing into another. maybe more experienced beer lovers get that from alot of differant beers, but for me it was the first time. another thing a like about this beer is it's drinkablity, tons of flavor, but light in the mouth and in the stomach. i'm used to drinking Guiness Extra Stout for my stout fix. this beer is a welcomed change. (783 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I have to fall in line with just about everyone else on this one.The tempting darkness of the brew is gothicly beautiful, as is the teasing carmel oatmeal aroma.Sweet carmelly aste floats right with you for the entire glass.Bitterness never showed its face. I thought the mouthfeel was just a little to high charged, but that just made it a thirst quencher, instead of just a sipping beer. (389 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Near-opaque deep ruby. Small, creamy head that laced in spots and streaks.

Smell: Roasted nut and oatmeal. Ripe fruits and a slight vinous character.

Taste: Smooth and sweet at first, turning creamy in the middle. Slight dark fruit flavor. Definite creamy chocolate, with a roasty, toasty backdrop like no other I've had. Loamy earthiness throughout.

Notes: Exceptional stout, and one of my new favorite beers. Find it, drink it, and sing its praises. It's that good, and should appeal to almost every type of beer drinker. (548 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 550 ML bottle, there was a small layer of fine head that disappeared fairly quickly. Hold it up to the light and you wouln't see much through it.

Love that outmeal stout smell, sweat kind of oatmeally caramel scent. Haven't found an outmeal stout I didn't like, but this is still one of my favorites. The taste is just short of rich, sweet at first, and then the oats roll in and smooth it all out. I can feel those tiny little bubbles of carbonation roll along my tongue with each sip.

If you haven't tried this one yet, you should already be on your way to the store. (590 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer pours a nearly opaque black, just a touch of reddish light shining through on the bottom. A thick beige head tops the liquid, leaving some sticky cobwebby lace as your drink the beer down.
The aroma is very roasty, with a solid hearty oatmeal presence. Plenty of chocolatey aroma, with a Fruity Pebbles like esteriness. Light caramel and some mocha, with a trace of goldings hopping.
Flavor is creamy and sweet, with a big oatmeal flavor all the way through. Chocolate malt right up front, providing a bittersweet baker's chocolate flavor, melding into mocha coffee towards the middle. Some light plum and cherry fruitiness comes through in the middle, with a vague fruity pebbles feel to the esters. Mild hopping provides some dryness in the finish, although the bitterness mostly comes from the roasted barley. A rich, luxurious oatmeal flavor in the finish, continuing into the aftertaste, where it blends with some sweet mocha, lingering for a while. Smooth british carbonation, with a medium to full body.
Probably one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever tried. Perfect balance, excellent flavor. Absolutely world class. (1,138 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%

This oatmeal stout poured thick Into the glass thick and heavy. when the glass settled I could see the thick black smoke like body and the supper chunky tan head. the head kind of slithered down the glass as i drank, It was almost a meal in itself. the almost spice aroma jumped up and bit me. the first sip was almost heavy it was thick and full of flavor, rich malty with just a hit of bitter balanced out well. The finish was almost dry. a little to heavy to drink all night, butt good all-around!! (501 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

Black color. Very thick full cascading type head. Aroma is roasted malts and chocolates. A nice silky smooth. Medium bodied sweet stout. Mild malts and hops. A very flavorful beer. Nice chocolate and coffee flavor. Well balanced. Just wish it were in a brown bottle. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and a touch dry. What a sweet/Oatmeal stout should be (407 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)