Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,189 | Hads: 6,210
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Looks black to me, with a retaining tan head. Nice lacing.

S - Malt, bitter chocolate, and a bit smokey.

T - A nice subtle smokiness, while very malty. Still a bit of bitter chocolate. Nice!

M - More carbonated than I epected, but pleasantly so. Medium body, creamy (while carbonated...weird!)

O - Very enjoyable. Can sip or have a few. Good beer.

Presentation: 550 ml embossed brown bottle that has gold foil on top, no freshness date to be found, but stamped daycode on bottle.

Appearance: dark brown to black, not transparent at all, wonderful tan head thats 1 finger or less in a pint glass. lace that leaves rings all the way down the glass.

Smell: malty carmel, toffee, chocolate, coffee, slight banana, nutty sweetness.

Taste: WOW WOW WOW smooth yet just the right amount of carbonation, creamy sweetness, Hop bitterness is present yet keeps the sweetness in check. A semi dry falls on the palate as soon as the sweetness fades. Dark roasted coffee, over caramelized buttery toffee and dark sweetened chocolate flavours swirl around the tastebuds to make for a bitter sweet finish.

Notes: My new favorite stout, picked up a 3 pack of 550 ml btls. box set for $11, came with a nice gold stamped glass, 2 coasters and a smith's guide to their respected beers. well worth the price compared to the same stores price of $4.59 for singles @ (Wegmans)I will be getting many more...

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love stouts... This is a nice sweet oaty flavour.. Mouth feel was very full. Sweet dessert stout even though I drank it on a hot day and I was drunk. It happens. Samuel smith has made this beer right. Only a couple other stouts I would take over this one. Bear republics big black and firestone walkers parabola.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark brown, not quite opaque color with a big ol', creamy head. Strong caramel smell carries over into a (too) mellow, sweet taste - needs more hops :) Mouthfeel is watery, for a stout. I'll take my oatmeal a la Rogue, unless I want to drink all night.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

It poured a small tan head that stayed for about a minute. At first glance it's black as night, but holding it up to the sun it showed a dark ruby through the bottom corner.

A burnt and sour smell came through more than anything.

It tastes more like a porter than a stout to me with the slight sourness coming through, which is good, since I like porters more.:) A little chocolate , coffee, burnt flavor, alcohol and a bit of sour came together to make a nice combonation.

I could drink quite a few of these if I could find them. I think it'd go well with a roast.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours black a with big head. no head retention. no lacing.

S-Smells like chocolate and caramel. Slight biscuity peeking through.

T-Matly and chocolaty goodness. I don't detect any hops. Aftertaste is sweet.

M-Very smooth with a slight creamyness.

D-Highly drinkable. This is one of the best oatmeal stouts I've had. Balanced very well and I will definitely be getting more.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a bottle into my tall "test mug"

A- Dark black, no light coming through. Thick fluffy tan head, some lacing left too. Agitating the beer a bit brings back some head, even as the glass is nearly empty.

S- This smells like something gods would drink. Smells sweet and slightly fruity. Reminds me of ice cream and oatmeal. I also get a hint of cough syrup, kind of a sweet medicine smell. I wish I had an air freshener that smelled like this oatmeal stout.

T- Oatmeal, coffee, and a hint of chocolate. There is a slight bitter finish, maybe some hops. The balance of sweet and roasted with the finish is just right. This makes a great dessert beer for after a meal.

M- Medium to thick body. I almost want to chew it. Very smooth, like drinking silk. I'm still amazed after every sip.

D- I could sit around and smell this beer all night. I'd rather drink it all night, and I could easily do that. The taste and smoothness combine to make a very drinkable beer. And at 5% ABV, it won't knock me down if I put a few away.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 450ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown/black with a decent head that slipped down into the brew pretty quickly.

S: Molasses/brown sugar, oats, and some coffee notes as well.

T/MF: Full stout flavor, the sweetness follows that molasses aroma, full-bodied and rich. The oats add some body as well, lending it a starchy (not negative; think comfort food) mouthfeel.

D: Very drinkable, and with low ABV, could have tucked in to this one for the duration. But there were other beers to drink. :)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Beer pours extreme brown, basically black. This tan head that faded rather quick leaving a lacing on the glass.
S - I smell coffee/ chocolate, raosty malts.
T - This is where the beer gets good. Very smooth, definitely taste chocolate and coffee. Tiny bit of hops flavor profile in the background. There is some dark malt flavor lingering around, but in general I just want to keep drinking it.
Overall I will buy this beer again and again. LOVE IT!

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Blackish brown with a creamy tan head reducing to a thick lace

Aroma: A chocolatey coffeeish nose with a hint of liquorice and spices. It adds a lot to the overall flavour as you are taking a sip as well.

Taste: Full bodied chocolate with the oats really coming through on the finish. It starts with a molasses tinted sweetness but dries off towards the finish with some light hops poking through.

Mouthfeel: Rich and smooth but not too heavy.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful stout with an excellent balance of flavours and textures, entirely enjoyable and a potential new favourite of the style!

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours an extremely black color with a beautiful brown head which laces the glass all the way down. It has a mild chocolate nose with whiffs of sweetness. This beer is smooth and yet has the most complex flavor of any oatmeal stout I've had yet. I can taste the oats, chocolate, roasted goodness and even some hoppiness. This brew has a nice thick mouthfeel that helps keep the flavor lingering until you are ready for the next drink. This is without a doubt the best Oatmeal Stout I've had to date. While it is a little on the expensive side, it is definitely something I will treat myself to again.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a dark brown color with copper and ruby accents. Thin lacing and head. The aroma is very good, and the taste is even better. It is definately a beer you need to try if you haven't already. It's a bit pricey but it is well worth it. This is better than a "good call", anyone who likes more than American domestic macro crap will love this.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

When i saw this beer on a bottle list at a bar, the bartender was shocked i ordered it, and in reply i told him i love trying new beer...but as uncommon as my order was my review will be quite common i think...It was a dark almost espresso like color, and had a mouth feel very similar to such. It did have a chocolate and coffee taste about it, almost like a milk stout. It was definately heavier than most of my choices but an excellent one at best. It tasted great and I would definately have it again...

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint. Deep, deep brown with ruby-brown edges and a coffee-cream colored head. Low on carbonation, head disappears quickly.

Smells of sweet yeast or breads.

Definite roasty taste, with a bit of licorice at the back end.

Incredible mouthfeel, reminiscent of a cream ale. Smooth, velvety texture keeps the licorice in check.

Overall, very satisfying. Definitely worth buying again.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Any time a group of stout-lovers get to drink Sam Smith's, their reactions are going to be predictably happy ones. As oatmeal stouts go, it's well balanced and a touch on the heavier side. But filled with a "wonderful rich flavour" and a beautiful brown pour, it's clearly one of the best of its kind.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a very dark red/black with burgundy highlights against very strong light. Had 1/2" of creamy head, but settled to 1/8" with some nice lacing.

Smells very rich, like roasted coffee, breakfast oatmeal, chocolate, and walnuts.

Taste is good. Very low hoppiness, but distinctive malts which start very sweet and crystaly, and move slowly over the palate to well balanced smokiness of roasted barley, then lingers on the finish with an almost chocolatey sweetness.

Mouthfeel is round and extremely smooth, esepcially for a beer this dark. Carbonation is good, yet this is one of the smoothest beers I've had the pleasure of quaffing.

Drinkability is very high here, I could drink this from the second the sun went down until I couldn't drink any more. Don't think I could handle this one outside on a hot day though, as with most stouts.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Pint Glass: Dark brown close to black, 1 inch foam.

S: Nutty, oats, pleasant. Not too strong a scent.

T: Bitter, oats, roasted malt & a bit of coffee.

M: Minimal carbonation, smooth yet a bit thin.

D: I think it's better on tap, Velvet Merlin has surpassed it in my opinion. I used to love this beer years ago but my palate has grown. Give it a shot but try it on tap if you can. Drink up!

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the bottle into an 8 oz. straight cocktail glass

Aroma - Sweet, alcoholic, bready smell, roasted barley presence is significant

Appearance - Opaque black color, head forms a medium cream color, spot on for an expected stout

Taste - Oatmeal presence is interesting, roast is significant yet not overbearing, strong alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium - thick body, seems appropriate. Lacks head retention and therefore texture from head. Low - mild carbonation.

Overall - A stout with layers of complexity not present in others, very well balanced and a pleasure to drink. Overall great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Dark black pour, with a full thick creamy head, that slowly reduces down to about a finger and a half thick. Smells of sweeter, a subtle hint of apple, slightly yeasty , and a touch of booze. Taste starts of mildly sweet, fading to a bitter charcoal finish. Very low on carbonation ratio, very good for a stout, in my opinion, It is very full brew, just like an oatmeal stout should be and It is very drinkable. This is a great one to try.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

After pouring this stout, the head settled down to almost nothing, not the slight creamy head I was looking for. It was a dark stouty color with not an over whelming amount of odor. There was slight hints of oatmeal and maybe some chocolate in the smell. Mouthfeel was milky and smooth, probably the beers strong point. I didn't encounter anything special in the way of taste, a sweet stout with a little oatmeal and coffee hints but nothing that really jumps out at you. To me, it didnt drink like a stout, too light and not very robust. A smooth beer that goes down easy and drinks easy, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a stout.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A pour down the middle of the glass produces a finger's worth of tan head that fits with the style. The head leaves a thin lace on the glass, while most of it slides down into the beer. It looks so good that you want to dip your finger in the foam and taste it.
The beer is very dark, almost completely black.
There is roasted barley and a sweet nose, although the smell of this beer is pretty mild.
The first sip blew me away. I like stouts, but realized just how limited my knowledge of them was when I tasted this one. The sweetness of the rich dark malts is so tasty, and the finish hits you right in the back of the tongue with the roasted barley. It feels heavy on the palate, but not too thick. It's smooth, with just enough bubbles and body to balance each other out.
It's dark and sweet and it makes it hard to mentally justify drinking many of these, but it tastes so good that I could drink it all night.

550 ml bottle

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Loved this oatmeal stout.

Appearance was good very dark like coffee with a thick head and good lacing.

Taste sweet with hint of chocolate and coffee with a nice ending. Great drinkability

Would buy this again and again, price was steep for a 4 pack but you get what you pay for.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

This particular beer was recommended to me at another forum, and I do not regret picking one up whatsoever.
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass, listening to Jesu- "Why Are We Not Perfect?". I am wondering why this beer isn't perfect, because it comes damn-close. Here was my humble thoughts:
Upon pouring, a very creamy, frothy, tan head a few inches in length arose to meet the top of the glass. This was very pleasing, considering that I presume this brew has very low carbonation. It sat in my glass BLACK. There was some slight deep red tendencies bouncing off my glass when I held it up to the light, but this beer is quite opaque. After a good 10 minutes, the head got down to about 1 cm, and stayed that way until it met the bottom of my glass. I was kinda disappointed in the lacing though, as there wasn't much of any at all.
Poking my nose in the glass gave me a very rich smell of a sweet loaf of bread. The sweetness was composed from nut to molasses, and vanilla to honey ranges. Pleasantly subtle, I might add as well.
The taste was pretty much the same as the smell, but now working in hand with the signature stout "roasted" flavor. It's not quite "burnt" hops either, which would usually come across too harsh in other more common stouts. Rather, it's present more as a coffee flavor... one that comes alive a little bit during the finish. I found slight hints of savory caramel throughout each sip as well. Not much in the way of an after-taste. Pretty damn-well balanced this beer is though, even if there is nothing extravagant going on.
It's medium-bodied once it was in the mouth, and it was smooth as silk. Seriously, this is the quickest beer I have consumed so far for a review, and I could easily move through some of this like water on a hot summer day. That is quite remarkable, considering it's other stout qualities (I may have found my new favorite beer!). My only discrepancy, I suppose, was that I wish they could make this beer how it is, but with a stickier mouth-feel. No, it certainly is not a Miller Lite, but it came across as a bit thin for a beer of this caliber.
Skip the pretzels, go straight for snackin' on some oatmeal chocolate cookies when enjoying one of these!

My favorite foreign beer! This is a very tasty beer, I recommend it to anyone desiring a beer for pleasure. Out of all of my oatmeal stout choices, I place this one on the top.

Appearance: Very dark, nice head.

Smell: As expected, oatmealy.

Taste: Best bottled beer. Period.

Mouthfeel: You know that it is in your mouth, it has a very strong presence.

Drinkability: I was drinking 4 a week for several months.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from the bottle into a chalice.

The color of the beer is a deep, deep brown, with a medium tan head. I was a little disappointed, as it poured not even a one finger head, but there was good lacing throughout.

The smell of oatmeal is definitely noticeable at first. Other aromas are dark fruit, and a little of the roasted malt.

The taste is excellent. The oatmeal taste isn't very predominant, and instead, I taste a lot of the dark fruit and roasted malt, somewhat reminiscent of a Belgian quad. There is very little bitterness, though it still is pretty well balanced and isn't overly sweet. Its very smooth and velvety, very nice. I think it could have gone with a higher abv (maybe around 7-8%?), but overall very nice.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)