Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,186 | Hads: 6,178
3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

It poured a small tan head that stayed for about a minute. At first glance it's black as night, but holding it up to the sun it showed a dark ruby through the bottom corner.

A burnt and sour smell came through more than anything.

It tastes more like a porter than a stout to me with the slight sourness coming through, which is good, since I like porters more.:) A little chocolate , coffee, burnt flavor, alcohol and a bit of sour came together to make a nice combonation.

I could drink quite a few of these if I could find them. I think it'd go well with a roast. (574 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours black a with big head. no head retention. no lacing.

S-Smells like chocolate and caramel. Slight biscuity peeking through.

T-Matly and chocolaty goodness. I don't detect any hops. Aftertaste is sweet.

M-Very smooth with a slight creamyness.

D-Highly drinkable. This is one of the best oatmeal stouts I've had. Balanced very well and I will definitely be getting more.

Serving type: bottle (429 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a bottle into my tall "test mug"

A- Dark black, no light coming through. Thick fluffy tan head, some lacing left too. Agitating the beer a bit brings back some head, even as the glass is nearly empty.

S- This smells like something gods would drink. Smells sweet and slightly fruity. Reminds me of ice cream and oatmeal. I also get a hint of cough syrup, kind of a sweet medicine smell. I wish I had an air freshener that smelled like this oatmeal stout.

T- Oatmeal, coffee, and a hint of chocolate. There is a slight bitter finish, maybe some hops. The balance of sweet and roasted with the finish is just right. This makes a great dessert beer for after a meal.

M- Medium to thick body. I almost want to chew it. Very smooth, like drinking silk. I'm still amazed after every sip.

D- I could sit around and smell this beer all night. I'd rather drink it all night, and I could easily do that. The taste and smoothness combine to make a very drinkable beer. And at 5% ABV, it won't knock me down if I put a few away. (1,032 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 450ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown/black with a decent head that slipped down into the brew pretty quickly.

S: Molasses/brown sugar, oats, and some coffee notes as well.

T/MF: Full stout flavor, the sweetness follows that molasses aroma, full-bodied and rich. The oats add some body as well, lending it a starchy (not negative; think comfort food) mouthfeel.

D: Very drinkable, and with low ABV, could have tucked in to this one for the duration. But there were other beers to drink. :) (510 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Beer pours extreme brown, basically black. This tan head that faded rather quick leaving a lacing on the glass.
S - I smell coffee/ chocolate, raosty malts.
T - This is where the beer gets good. Very smooth, definitely taste chocolate and coffee. Tiny bit of hops flavor profile in the background. There is some dark malt flavor lingering around, but in general I just want to keep drinking it.
Overall I will buy this beer again and again. LOVE IT! (454 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Blackish brown with a creamy tan head reducing to a thick lace

Aroma: A chocolatey coffeeish nose with a hint of liquorice and spices. It adds a lot to the overall flavour as you are taking a sip as well.

Taste: Full bodied chocolate with the oats really coming through on the finish. It starts with a molasses tinted sweetness but dries off towards the finish with some light hops poking through.

Mouthfeel: Rich and smooth but not too heavy.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful stout with an excellent balance of flavours and textures, entirely enjoyable and a potential new favourite of the style! (614 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours an extremely black color with a beautiful brown head which laces the glass all the way down. It has a mild chocolate nose with whiffs of sweetness. This beer is smooth and yet has the most complex flavor of any oatmeal stout I've had yet. I can taste the oats, chocolate, roasted goodness and even some hoppiness. This brew has a nice thick mouthfeel that helps keep the flavor lingering until you are ready for the next drink. This is without a doubt the best Oatmeal Stout I've had to date. While it is a little on the expensive side, it is definitely something I will treat myself to again. (609 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a dark brown color with copper and ruby accents. Thin lacing and head. The aroma is very good, and the taste is even better. It is definately a beer you need to try if you haven't already. It's a bit pricey but it is well worth it. This is better than a "good call", anyone who likes more than American domestic macro crap will love this. (354 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

When i saw this beer on a bottle list at a bar, the bartender was shocked i ordered it, and in reply i told him i love trying new beer...but as uncommon as my order was my review will be quite common i think...It was a dark almost espresso like color, and had a mouth feel very similar to such. It did have a chocolate and coffee taste about it, almost like a milk stout. It was definately heavier than most of my choices but an excellent one at best. It tasted great and I would definately have it again... (507 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint. Deep, deep brown with ruby-brown edges and a coffee-cream colored head. Low on carbonation, head disappears quickly.

Smells of sweet yeast or breads.

Definite roasty taste, with a bit of licorice at the back end.

Incredible mouthfeel, reminiscent of a cream ale. Smooth, velvety texture keeps the licorice in check.

Overall, very satisfying. Definitely worth buying again. (422 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Any time a group of stout-lovers get to drink Sam Smith's, their reactions are going to be predictably happy ones. As oatmeal stouts go, it's well balanced and a touch on the heavier side. But filled with a "wonderful rich flavour" and a beautiful brown pour, it's clearly one of the best of its kind. (301 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

A-deep dark color, not totally black but pretty black. perfect sized head but the dark tan ole thing didnt stay long

S- sweet smell of honey and very bready

T- YUM- that oatmeal characteristic lives up to its good reputation. my criticism is that it should have more oatmeally goodness

M-i love the oatmeal smoothness

D- gotta say, this one lived up to my expectations. but i think i can find better representations of the style. REALLY good though (453 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a very dark red/black with burgundy highlights against very strong light. Had 1/2" of creamy head, but settled to 1/8" with some nice lacing.

Smells very rich, like roasted coffee, breakfast oatmeal, chocolate, and walnuts.

Taste is good. Very low hoppiness, but distinctive malts which start very sweet and crystaly, and move slowly over the palate to well balanced smokiness of roasted barley, then lingers on the finish with an almost chocolatey sweetness.

Mouthfeel is round and extremely smooth, esepcially for a beer this dark. Carbonation is good, yet this is one of the smoothest beers I've had the pleasure of quaffing.

Drinkability is very high here, I could drink this from the second the sun went down until I couldn't drink any more. Don't think I could handle this one outside on a hot day though, as with most stouts. (845 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Pint Glass: Dark brown close to black, 1 inch foam.

S: Nutty, oats, pleasant. Not too strong a scent.

T: Bitter, oats, roasted malt & a bit of coffee.

M: Minimal carbonation, smooth yet a bit thin.

D: I think it's better on tap, Velvet Merlin has surpassed it in my opinion. I used to love this beer years ago but my palate has grown. Give it a shot but try it on tap if you can. Drink up! (393 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the bottle into an 8 oz. straight cocktail glass

Aroma - Sweet, alcoholic, bready smell, roasted barley presence is significant

Appearance - Opaque black color, head forms a medium cream color, spot on for an expected stout

Taste - Oatmeal presence is interesting, roast is significant yet not overbearing, strong alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium - thick body, seems appropriate. Lacks head retention and therefore texture from head. Low - mild carbonation.

Overall - A stout with layers of complexity not present in others, very well balanced and a pleasure to drink. Overall great beer. (617 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Dark black pour, with a full thick creamy head, that slowly reduces down to about a finger and a half thick. Smells of sweeter, a subtle hint of apple, slightly yeasty , and a touch of booze. Taste starts of mildly sweet, fading to a bitter charcoal finish. Very low on carbonation ratio, very good for a stout, in my opinion, It is very full brew, just like an oatmeal stout should be and It is very drinkable. This is a great one to try. (439 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

After pouring this stout, the head settled down to almost nothing, not the slight creamy head I was looking for. It was a dark stouty color with not an over whelming amount of odor. There was slight hints of oatmeal and maybe some chocolate in the smell. Mouthfeel was milky and smooth, probably the beers strong point. I didn't encounter anything special in the way of taste, a sweet stout with a little oatmeal and coffee hints but nothing that really jumps out at you. To me, it didnt drink like a stout, too light and not very robust. A smooth beer that goes down easy and drinks easy, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a stout. (638 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A pour down the middle of the glass produces a finger's worth of tan head that fits with the style. The head leaves a thin lace on the glass, while most of it slides down into the beer. It looks so good that you want to dip your finger in the foam and taste it.
The beer is very dark, almost completely black.
There is roasted barley and a sweet nose, although the smell of this beer is pretty mild.
The first sip blew me away. I like stouts, but realized just how limited my knowledge of them was when I tasted this one. The sweetness of the rich dark malts is so tasty, and the finish hits you right in the back of the tongue with the roasted barley. It feels heavy on the palate, but not too thick. It's smooth, with just enough bubbles and body to balance each other out.
It's dark and sweet and it makes it hard to mentally justify drinking many of these, but it tastes so good that I could drink it all night.

550 ml bottle (930 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Loved this oatmeal stout.

Appearance was good very dark like coffee with a thick head and good lacing.

Taste sweet with hint of chocolate and coffee with a nice ending. Great drinkability

Would buy this again and again, price was steep for a 4 pack but you get what you pay for. (282 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

This particular beer was recommended to me at another forum, and I do not regret picking one up whatsoever.
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass, listening to Jesu- "Why Are We Not Perfect?". I am wondering why this beer isn't perfect, because it comes damn-close. Here was my humble thoughts:
Upon pouring, a very creamy, frothy, tan head a few inches in length arose to meet the top of the glass. This was very pleasing, considering that I presume this brew has very low carbonation. It sat in my glass BLACK. There was some slight deep red tendencies bouncing off my glass when I held it up to the light, but this beer is quite opaque. After a good 10 minutes, the head got down to about 1 cm, and stayed that way until it met the bottom of my glass. I was kinda disappointed in the lacing though, as there wasn't much of any at all.
Poking my nose in the glass gave me a very rich smell of a sweet loaf of bread. The sweetness was composed from nut to molasses, and vanilla to honey ranges. Pleasantly subtle, I might add as well.
The taste was pretty much the same as the smell, but now working in hand with the signature stout "roasted" flavor. It's not quite "burnt" hops either, which would usually come across too harsh in other more common stouts. Rather, it's present more as a coffee flavor... one that comes alive a little bit during the finish. I found slight hints of savory caramel throughout each sip as well. Not much in the way of an after-taste. Pretty damn-well balanced this beer is though, even if there is nothing extravagant going on.
It's medium-bodied once it was in the mouth, and it was smooth as silk. Seriously, this is the quickest beer I have consumed so far for a review, and I could easily move through some of this like water on a hot summer day. That is quite remarkable, considering it's other stout qualities (I may have found my new favorite beer!). My only discrepancy, I suppose, was that I wish they could make this beer how it is, but with a stickier mouth-feel. No, it certainly is not a Miller Lite, but it came across as a bit thin for a beer of this caliber.
Skip the pretzels, go straight for snackin' on some oatmeal chocolate cookies when enjoying one of these! (2,220 characters)

My favorite foreign beer! This is a very tasty beer, I recommend it to anyone desiring a beer for pleasure. Out of all of my oatmeal stout choices, I place this one on the top.

Appearance: Very dark, nice head.

Smell: As expected, oatmealy.

Taste: Best bottled beer. Period.

Mouthfeel: You know that it is in your mouth, it has a very strong presence.

Drinkability: I was drinking 4 a week for several months. (417 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from the bottle into a chalice.

The color of the beer is a deep, deep brown, with a medium tan head. I was a little disappointed, as it poured not even a one finger head, but there was good lacing throughout.

The smell of oatmeal is definitely noticeable at first. Other aromas are dark fruit, and a little of the roasted malt.

The taste is excellent. The oatmeal taste isn't very predominant, and instead, I taste a lot of the dark fruit and roasted malt, somewhat reminiscent of a Belgian quad. There is very little bitterness, though it still is pretty well balanced and isn't overly sweet. Its very smooth and velvety, very nice. I think it could have gone with a higher abv (maybe around 7-8%?), but overall very nice. (733 characters)

Appearance is very dark brown and ruby red around the edges in the right light.

Smell is malty sweet.

Taste is also malty sweet, with a very restrained hint of coffee. Little to no alcohol is detected.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin to my liking but not uncommon for the style. Has a creamy finish.

Drinkability is high. Doesn't go to any extreme that would inhibit its drinkability, and ABV is relatively low and not very noticeable. (431 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance:
Almost black. Deep red highlights. Creamy head that never quite disappears, and it leaves a modest trail of clingy lacing down the glass.

Aroma:
Coffee, caramel and chocolate mats earthy, sweat, with a hint of oats.

Taste:
Soft roasted malt flavor hangs in the foreground, eventually giving way to a mild sweet. Good balance between bitter and sweet. Dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and toffee swirl around giving the Oatmeal Stout.

Mouthfeel:
Silky smooth and creamy with a medium-full body. The carbonation adds just the right amount of zing in the finish.

Drinkable:
Is to drink in peaceful place, out of noise and distracters, take with old cheese and black olive. (690 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Oh boy, I’ve been waiting to try this one for a while.

Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout.

From the pour, this is a stout drinker’s stout. The brew is truly black and quite thick, allowing almost no light through, and collecting a thick even head that is a pale brown in color. After watching the head for a bit, the lace starts to form. And while the lace is not entirely consistent, not woven or too evenly distributed, where it is found it is thick. If I am to be completely honest I was a little disheartened with my experience of the beer’s aroma before tasting. One of the big things I was anticipating was a distinct smell from this beer; something mild, sweet and, well, oatmeal-y. Sniffing around the glass before tasting the beer, I got none of this.

But then I took my first, long, savory swig and everything changed in an instant. With a sip in mouth you can really, really dissect what makes this beer special and untangle the different, very subtle aromas in this beer; most notably the mild sweetness it has. The taste, while in mouth, is smooth with your typical dark malts, but also—of course—a lighter, mellower sweet taste, which no doubt can be attributed to the oatmeal and some caramel malts. The sweetness, in both taste and aroma, provided by the oatmeal is very well complimented by the spot-on carbonation and creamy mouthfeel of this beer and those characteristics, together, make this a brew that you don’t want to put down. I should say that when you do put it down, is when you experience some of the toffee, coffee tastes which sit in mouth pleasantly.

The skinny is like this.

A: This is your Ur-stout, the perfect stout as far as appearance. Very dark, lets no light through, has a great, thick head, and lays down some strong, though sporadic, lacing.

S: Well, just smell alone doesn’t do this brew—or the aroma itself—justice, but while drinking, the sweet, mild aroma of oatmeal is what makes this stout what it is.

T: While described on the bottle as “bittersweet” this beer is something more like "sweetbitter" providing a sip that is mild and sweet, followed by the typical stout flavors of toffee, coffee and dark malts.

M: The mouthfeel of this stout is creamy, excellently carbonated, even and fulfilling without being filling or too heavy.

O: I think I’ve said more than enough, but, to contrast I’ll sum it up as concisely as I can: sweet, mild, creamy, aromatic all while being expertly subtle in its crafting. (2,489 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)