Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |
4.2

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Reviews: 2,246 | Ratings: 6,471
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured out thick and black with a slight red tint. Dense tan head (about 1/4"). Light lacing.

My first reaction was that there was a slight sour smell. Following this there was a yeasty, caramel smell.

Milder than I expected. I don't drink a lot of regular stouts (preferring imperial stouts), so I was pleasantly surprised at the balance between the mild, malty caramel flavor and the slighty hoppy bitterness.

Very smooth, medium bodied feel. Very little tingle from the low carbonation.

Overall, a very nice, well balanced stout. Not overly filling, so I could probably have a couple without feeling like I've had a full meal.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 335ml bottle into an Allagash Witbier glass, the beer appears to be dark drown in color with a moderate tan head. The aroma hints of roasted nuts and chocolate. The beer tastes with hints of caramel, chocolate, nuts, and malt. The mouthfeel is that of a moderately carbonated beer, and is easily drinkable. The beer carries no lacing down the glass, and there is a strong after taste of roasted nuts.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from the 550 ml bottle into a Guiness pint glass.

Appearance- Pours the typical dark stout black with a light tan fluffy head. Lots of chunky patches of lace.

Smell- First thing I thought of was that it had this odd sweet wine like scent. Not something I'm used to in stout. Typical stout scents are less prevalent. Odd.

Taste- Very tasty! Lots of nice sweet chocolatey taste. The roasty stout flavor is not found in this one. The sweetness replaces it I think. Some graininess is present. No trace of that wine-scent in the taste.

Mouthfeel- Thick and smooth. Almost no carbonation. Milk would be an effecive comparison.

Drinkability- As with all the Sam Smith's beers, this one is very easy to take nice big quaffs of! At 5% I could easily down a few pints of this one.

Overall- I'm a huge SS fan. This one isn't my favorite, but it lives up to my standards for this brewery. Not great but pretty good.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

This is truly an amazing stout. I took this to a BYOB restaurant and poured it into a regular beer glass. It would have been nice if they had a tulip of snifter, but it was still a great beer...

a: pours a dark chocolate color with about a finger of head. i'd recommend pouring this pretty hard for future reference. nice look in the glass but head disappears quickly and doesn't leave much lace.

s: in addition to the standard chocolate and coffee flavors of this style, this beer has rich, smooth, sweet aromas of oatmeal and molasses.

t: sweeter and richer than it is bitter. tastes like it smells, with maybe a little extra roastiness in the mouth. no real hint of hops.

m: very creamy and frothy in the mouth. one of the better feeling stouts that you can get poured out of a glass. rich and full bodied. no alcohol bite that i could find.

o: one of the best widely-distributed stouts you can buy.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Foamy beige head sits on top of a dark and luscious looking beer.

Smell: Wow! It's a heady smell of portwine, prunes, raisins, chocolate, grains - dark and sweet! When reaching almost room temperature I detect a smokiness that does not come through when it is cooler.

Taste: Follows the smell. Rich, dark, dried sweet fruit. Definite notes similar to that of portwine. Soft and smooth with subtle chocolate notes. After taste is portwine-like with coffee. It leaves a little too sweet taste in the mouth when the after tase subsides.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with medium to medium-low carbonation.

Very potent tasting and rich drink. I like to drink it slowly and savor it as a special treat all by itself.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice chocolate flavor and typical dark stout appearance. Low carbonation and light body (for an oatmeal stout) made it easy to drink. The price is a bit high and will keep me from drinking too many of these.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Lately I've been feeling like I should put my reviews up for the beers that defined my early exploration into good beer. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is THE beer. The one that slapped me in the face, and made me realize that there was a whole world out there of better beer. Astonishingly, it is still one of my favorite beers of all time, a beer I still get a frequent craving for, a year and a hundred or so new beers later.

So how does it taste?
Excellent. There's a very sweet taste here that I still can't pin down, and I don't get a lot from other stouts. Kind of like molasses. Some astringency is there too. When I first started drinking this beer I noticed a metallic taste as well, but I can't detect it anymore, which might be attributed to a different pallette. For some reason I'm having hard time identifying the different flavors in this brew, which might be why I like it so much. Oh sure, the usual stout flavors are there, there's some roasted coffee, some bittersweet chocolate. But this beer tastes like it made it's own rules for how it should taste. I haven't had any other beer that tastes quite like this one. Young's comes closest, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Appearance and Smell. Not completely black, there are ruby edges, and light can actually penetrate this beer if it is bright enough/viewed at the right angle. Head is modest, receding to a fine lace. Oddly enough, I know I've had some bottles that produced very little if any head, or lacing, although I don't remember the flavor ever suffering much due to this.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was delighted when I came upon this stout in a little hole-in-the-wall place that had NO redeeming qualities except for keeping this and several other Sam Smith's in stock. People, this is a very nice drink. It pours very dark (not black) and has a pretty thick, tan head that disappears after a few minutes. The smell is nice, lightly sweet and not overwhelming. The taste is similar- you notice caramel (or something that tastes like it) but its not sugary. The taste itself isn't heavy- its hearty and complex, it almost tastes like it should be good for you in a whole-grain kind of way. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected from a stout, but pleasant. It's a heavy, meal-like drink; maybe you could have 2 in one sitting if you ate light beforehand. Overall, if you should find this one, you really need to try it.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Wonderfully rich and dark. Light does not penetrate it very much, and when it does it has a slight redish tint. Nice, tan, creamy head when stays for the duration of the beer. Not too much lacing.

S - I mostly get a rich chocolaty smell coming through. There are slight under tones of coffee. Can smell if from a couple of feet away. Very pleasing.

T - Very full flavor. Initial taste of oatmeal, chocolate, and toffee. Sort of a roasted flavor to it as well. Aftertaste seems predominantly chocolaty in flavor with a slight bitterness to it, almost like dark chocolate.

M - Very smooth beer. Seems perfectly carbonated and slighty creamy.

D - Absolutely perfect drinkability. The flavor and mixture of the smoothness are just perfect. It goes down very well and leaves you with a wonderful aftertaste. Slightly refreshing in a way. A perfect beer to drink during a cold day, as the richness is wonderful.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Very dark brown color with a couple fingers of long lasting thick head.

S: Roasted malts and molasses.

T: Lots of bitter chocolate, touch of coffee, some sweetness

M: Med body, very creamy, very smooth, with very little sticking on the lips. Little carbonation outside of intial pour.

D: I could put these down one after another. Very easy drinking. Excellent value. Would recommond to someone as a replacement for Guinness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drinking vessel: 16 fl. oz. Irish Guiness pint glass

Visual appeal: dark mahogany, small head, slight lacing

Smell: present but not strong, of raisins, roasted malt, sweet toffee

Flavor: strongly smokey, toffee again

Mouthfeel: creamy, very smooth, slight carbonation

Drinkability: very high

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Beautiful dark, molasses color with a tan, 2 finger head that lasted well, leaving a thin layer atop the beer until the last sip. Smells of vegemite and chocolate. Sweet, complex, yeasty taste, slight coffee undertones. Thinner mouthfeel, leaving a clean palate. Loved this beer - complements a meal to perfection, holding its own, without overpowering the food.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer has a rich and smooth tight bubbled head that nicely laces the glass as it recedes. A cocoa or coffee smell hits you first when you go to take a sip. Very smooth on the palate with notes of roast?, has a slight sweetness at the beginning finishes wet with a burnt aftertaste. This 550ML bottle will be consumed quickly as it goes down soooo smooth. Would definitely recommend!!! Cheers

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a very enjoyable beer and I am glad to have found it at my local rural liquor store.

A: black until you hold it to a light, at which time dark red light filters through the edges.

S: the smell is roasty and malty with no noticeable hop aroma

T: toasted malt, coffee, espresso, and all around goodness.

M: smooth, creamy and silky. medium viscosity.

D: very drinkable, even sessionable at 5% ABV

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Hazed dark brown. Big white pillow head, about 2 inches thick. Great retention overall

S: Roasted chocolate, with hints of a coffee milky sweetness. The smell is absolutely one of the best parts of this beer

T: Very smooth and milky. The taste of the features are not as strong as they smell, but still overall a great taste.

M: Very light, and mild. The smoothness is what you want from a Stout. Mild carbonation, which again, is exactly what I want in a Stout. Finishes sweet with no weird aftertaste

O: I'd buy this beer again and again. Absolutely loved this beer. Recommended for everyone that likes a good coffee/chocolate/oatmeal stout or porter.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I tried this one because it had such a high ranking and I was not disappointed at all. I love the creamy head and 'roasted' taste of this beer. Everytime I go to the liquor store to try a new beer, I keep coming back to this one over and over.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

This was recommended to me by a preacher friend of mine, heh.

Pours opaque, basically as black as night. Holding it up to a light, very little filters through. Head is heavy and endures, leaving lacing from the top of the glass to the very bottom. If a beer can be classified as "beautiful," this one is at the top of the list.

Smells of oatmeal (go figure), coffee and roasted dark malts. The taste is initially sweet, with a bit of bitterness on the back-end. The coffee and malts are again noticeable, and overall it's surprisingly smooth for a stout.

This is easily one of my favorite beers, and is a good one to sit back and sip when you're in a lazy mood and just want to relax. I've introduced it to quite a few folks who enjoy their beer on the stouter and more complex side, and I've yet to hear a complaint. As good as all of the Samuel Smith brews are, this one sits alone at the top IMHO.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into my Lake Louie pint glass. A nice dark stout with lots of carbonation sprigs rising to a browning head. A nice sight when making dinner tonight. The scent of sweet roasted malt was most present. The taste followed as well with only a bit of bitterness. It went down sweet and wet with a medium body - not too heavy and not too thin. This is a nice switch from the stout of a Guiness. This is also a bit more sweet and malty than Gray's. I've not tried other stouts of this type, but I'll definitely keep at least one of these 55ozs around. I will have to compare this to Young's as well.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

The immediately noticable thing about this beer is the smell; as soon as I opened the bottle a slight sweetness was in the air. The pour gives a tall, thin, brown head that dissipates down to almost nothing but a rim of bubbles. The color is deeply black, fully opaque in a pint glass. The full smell is of dark malts with that sugary sweetness.

Not much stands out immediately in terms of taste, some carbonation is present, and the feel is a bit watery but very smooth. It leaves a bit of a doughy residue with a lingering sweetness.

Considering the color and smell, I was expecting more flavor and a thicker feel; however, this seems to be a reasonable drink compared to other oatmeal stouts.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a dark black color and a thick brown head that leaves lacing throughout its life

S: Dark roasted malty oats with chocolate and coffee undertones with a very sweet smell

T: Chocolate and coffee very sweet tasting with caramel malts towards the end of the mouth.

M: Medium mouthfeel with little to no carbonation

D: Very drinkable with a very complex body that changes througout the process.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Served from a bottle poured into a glass that I will call water glass, short stem, small bowl, it fit the entire bottle, used this glass just for variety, I drink so many stouts, got tired of using the Imperial Pint glass.

A: typical dark stout, pitch black in fact with a small copper colored head. This beer left nice lacing on the glass.

S: the biggest scent I got was caramel with a background of coffee and yeast/malt.

T: Yummy! it had a slight coffee and cocoa flavor, slightly sweet but had nice hop bitterness at the finish. as the beer warmed more cocoa flavor came forward.

M: not a thick beer but substantial on the tongue, crisp with that bit of hop bitterness.

I cannot believe I have not tried this beer sooner, someone brought a 4-pack to a beer party I hosted, I did not get around to trying it that night, but there was one bottle left and it took me a month to try this, so glad I did. Since I enjoy stouts so much I should have tried this sooner, but now I will make this a regular in my beer rotation.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Very pleasing to the palette and hearty enough to stick to the ribs at the same time. A thick beer with full bodied flavor, but surprisingly smooth! The over all is a rich hop taste with a hint of chocolate. Definitely one of my favorites.

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into pint glass.

A - Beautiful silky black body, bubbly mocha head. Orgy of thick, chunky lacing as it goes down.

S - Not really getting great flavours, bit metallic.

T - Didn't know what to expect after the first smell, but silky roast flavours come in lightly, chocolatey in the middle, then a big smokey/roasted flavours at the end leaving an awesome after taste, tastes like I'm still drinking a fair gulp.

M - Perfect mouthfeel, goes downlike beery milkshake.

D - Don't think I could make it a session beer, a couple over a hearty dinner would be awesome tho.

NB. Beer tasting is easier without Maltese x poodle jumping up and down on your lap.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This Stout pours very dark brown, pouring results in a thick, creamy, long-lasting head, that leaves thick rings of lacing, a great looking beer

In the nose I find roasted malts, spice and raisins, a little on the clean side, still very inviting.

The taste yields a rich, sweet roasted malt presence, there are just enough citrusy hops dancing around the roof of my mouth to balance the sweetness out

as many said before me, this is an amazing beer

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)