Join our email list →

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Oatmeal Stout | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,220 | Hads: 6,364
3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

The immediately noticable thing about this beer is the smell; as soon as I opened the bottle a slight sweetness was in the air. The pour gives a tall, thin, brown head that dissipates down to almost nothing but a rim of bubbles. The color is deeply black, fully opaque in a pint glass. The full smell is of dark malts with that sugary sweetness.

Not much stands out immediately in terms of taste, some carbonation is present, and the feel is a bit watery but very smooth. It leaves a bit of a doughy residue with a lingering sweetness.

Considering the color and smell, I was expecting more flavor and a thicker feel; however, this seems to be a reasonable drink compared to other oatmeal stouts.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a dark black color and a thick brown head that leaves lacing throughout its life

S: Dark roasted malty oats with chocolate and coffee undertones with a very sweet smell

T: Chocolate and coffee very sweet tasting with caramel malts towards the end of the mouth.

M: Medium mouthfeel with little to no carbonation

D: Very drinkable with a very complex body that changes througout the process.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Served from a bottle poured into a glass that I will call water glass, short stem, small bowl, it fit the entire bottle, used this glass just for variety, I drink so many stouts, got tired of using the Imperial Pint glass.

A: typical dark stout, pitch black in fact with a small copper colored head. This beer left nice lacing on the glass.

S: the biggest scent I got was caramel with a background of coffee and yeast/malt.

T: Yummy! it had a slight coffee and cocoa flavor, slightly sweet but had nice hop bitterness at the finish. as the beer warmed more cocoa flavor came forward.

M: not a thick beer but substantial on the tongue, crisp with that bit of hop bitterness.

I cannot believe I have not tried this beer sooner, someone brought a 4-pack to a beer party I hosted, I did not get around to trying it that night, but there was one bottle left and it took me a month to try this, so glad I did. Since I enjoy stouts so much I should have tried this sooner, but now I will make this a regular in my beer rotation.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Very pleasing to the palette and hearty enough to stick to the ribs at the same time. A thick beer with full bodied flavor, but surprisingly smooth! The over all is a rich hop taste with a hint of chocolate. Definitely one of my favorites.

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into pint glass.

A - Beautiful silky black body, bubbly mocha head. Orgy of thick, chunky lacing as it goes down.

S - Not really getting great flavours, bit metallic.

T - Didn't know what to expect after the first smell, but silky roast flavours come in lightly, chocolatey in the middle, then a big smokey/roasted flavours at the end leaving an awesome after taste, tastes like I'm still drinking a fair gulp.

M - Perfect mouthfeel, goes downlike beery milkshake.

D - Don't think I could make it a session beer, a couple over a hearty dinner would be awesome tho.

NB. Beer tasting is easier without Maltese x poodle jumping up and down on your lap.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This Stout pours very dark brown, pouring results in a thick, creamy, long-lasting head, that leaves thick rings of lacing, a great looking beer

In the nose I find roasted malts, spice and raisins, a little on the clean side, still very inviting.

The taste yields a rich, sweet roasted malt presence, there are just enough citrusy hops dancing around the roof of my mouth to balance the sweetness out

as many said before me, this is an amazing beer

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Wow. When I saw this priced at $3 a bottle, I figured "Eh, it's cheap, it can't be THAT good". I never knew I could be that wrong before (I really should've learned from Young's Double Chocolate that cheaper beer can be good beer)

Appearance:

Pitch black, thick, similar in color to tar. Just like a stout should be! The only reason it missed a perfect 5/5 is because it could be a shade lighter and it wouldn't hurt anything. 4.5/5

Smell:

I'm getting a nose full of... hmmm... prunes... and a hint of grape. Maybe a little bit of plum. Smell is incredibly inviting. 5/5

Taste:

Smooth, delicious, dry. That plum comes back strong and segues into a dry oatmeal style flavor. It cuts off the sweetness at just the right time to keep it from ruining the flavor. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel:

Thicker than average, but I would've liked it to be just a little tiny bit thicker. It needs to be almost chewy to make it perfect. 4/5

Overall:

WOW. For the price, I can only say that this beer is one of the better choices on the market. I'll be enjoying this for years to come. 4.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. Near black in color with maybe a one finger tan head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing as I drank it. Smell is a sweet cocoa and expresso. Taste is really sweet which i didn't care too much for. Reminds me Hershey syrup. I also get a bit of vanilla, expresso, and just a touch of nuttiness and fruit (cherries?) which I noticed when I had Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Mouth feel is quite smooth, but the carbonation and sugar leave my mouth feeling like I had a soda. Overall I can't say I'm big on it.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I grabbed this beer since it was an oatmeal stout and I was curious. I didn't realize it was the same maker of Nut Brown Ale and I wasn't disappointed since that beer is fantastic and drinking this, it proved the same.

Appearance - A very dark amber with a thick head and lacing.

Smell - Sweeter smell than a usual stout. Probably owing to the fact that oatmeal stouts are sweater. The bitterness comes as an after taste but it's a good bitter.

Taste - Tastes like a quality stout that's less bitter and a sweet.

Overall - A great stout for someone who is new to stouts like me. Not really bitter and more sweat but it still retains its stout characteristics.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the last of 3 Samuel Smith beers I tried, and probably my favorite of the bunch.

Look: If you've ever seen a Guinness, you've seen this beer. Dark with a dense head that doesn't fade quickly.

Smell: Malt, coffee, and cream.

Taste: Exactly the same as the smell. I found it alarmingly similar to Guinness, only slightly better. Can't put my finger on it, but there's also something in the background mainly serving to enhance the main flavors.

Feel: Creamy goodness. Not a lot else to say about it, even the head was creamy. It felt like the beer had been topped with whipped cream.

Overall: I was very impressed by this beer. It ticks every box for an enjoyable stout, but lacks the "wow" factor to put it over the top. I would definitely return to it again though.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

The beer pours a dark ruby to black colour with a really nice looking inch of mocha, tan head.
At first the smell was a little vinous which got me worried, however the smell of roast barley soon made its way through the fog and into my head although not as pronounced as I was expecting.
Tastes of roasted barley with nice carmel tones. lots of coffee flavour, although the slight tartness i'm getting off this beer is making it taste like day old coffee.
The mouthfeel is absolutely great; lucious foamy velvet sliding down my throat. yum.
An easy beer to drink a few of although rather filling. I enjoyed the beer, but would like to have another bottle from a different batch. it tasted a little old to me. understandable vancouver is a ways away from Jolly Old.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

pours dark brown with tan 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly.

smells of smooth creamy chocolate coated christmas cake.

taste is very smooth and subtle, starts almost fruity with chocolate mocha setting in, followed by a silky roasted backbone and finish.

mouthfeel is a bit smooth yet a bit watery for an oatmeal stout, but not overly carbonated.

drinkability is definately high due to a modest alcohol percentage and delicious overall experience

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Rich, near black color with two finger tan head.

Coffee, nuts and almost a sweet apple scent follows through to the taste. Chocolate rings true in the finish. Very smooth mouthfeel with nice tight carbonation.

High drinkability and an overall enjoyable experience. Great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in UK pint glass at 60*F

Pours opaque with a rich, beige-colored head, with crimson hues around the edges when held against the light. Boasts good lacing and excellent retention.

Dominant butterscotch aroma, with hints of caramel and molasses.

Notes of dark-roasted coffee and cacao prominent; roasted malt very present, and very delicious, at first taste; a very pleasant bitterness slowly grows on the palate as the beer lingers. Dry, satisfying finish.

Bready, slightly chewy and deliciously smooth mouthfeel.

Given the relatively low alcohol content and my love for all things delicious, I find it to be very drinkable.

I recommend this to everyone. A favorite.

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

Not a stout guy, but trying to expand my horizons beyond Guiness.

A: pours black with a thick tan head that lasts the whole time, leaves significant lacing.

S: to be honest I didn't pick up much if anything. Maybe some slight bready notes, but very little.

T: not nearly as dry and intimidating as it looks! Obviously heavy on the malt notes, the taste of dark toast with just a tiny bit of sweetness that finishes with just a slight dryness

M: this one is full bodied, like a meal in a glass, thick and creamy

D: pleasantly surprised by this one. Obviously Guiness gave me a one sided example of the style. Quite drinkable!

I still would not call myself a stout guy, but this definitely improves my opinion of the style. Much more drinkable than Guiness, I am not left w/ the cottonmouth, burn toast aftertaste that I get from it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep dark opaque brown with just a bit of a reddish hue. Tan head was on the thin side but leaves a very nice lacing down the glass. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, caramel and much more. Silky smooth mouthfeel and finishes with just enough bitterness to make it enjoyable.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

A-Pitch black pour with thick tan head that virtually disappears after a drink or two leaving faint foamy lacing.

S- This smells sweet and floral. No alcohol presence in the nose.

T- Smooth and sweet. Roasted malt and oaty sweetness.

M-Lighter than anticipated. Great carbonation.

O- A staple in the stout category..but nothing too extravagant. Simple yet elegant.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

I got the Samuel Smith mix pack and might I say that it is the coolest mix pack I have ever come across. It came with three 1 pint bottles consisting of the The Celebrated Oatmeal Stout, the Nut Brown Ale, and the Old Brewery Pale Ale. It also came with a nice glass, two coasters and and awsome chart that shows all their beers along with details of the beers' history, ingredients, serving suggestions, gravity, and every other detail that one could think of. Very impressive, but on with the reveiw.

Poured a black color with a thick brown head.

Smells almost sweet at first and upon futher examination I smell an almost nut smell with some oats mixed in.

The taste is unlike the smell but very good. Taste is a nut taste with oats. Finishes very sweet.

Mouthfeel is exellent. Very smooth.

There are many stouts and oatmeal stouts about, but this is hands down my favorite. The aroma, the taste, the color, it just seems perfect. I like to chill this beer just slightly, then pout it into a nice thick beer mug. I could be happy with this beer if it was the only one available forever more! I love it !!!

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from bottle into a weizen glass. Deep brown color with a tan colored head. I poured this pretty hard so a beautiful full head developed that lasted a good while. The head sticks to the sides throughout.

The smell is slightly metallic / acidic almost like coffee.

The taste is not unlike a milk stout with the bit of creamy sweetness that comes through. A flavor I quite can't put my finger on, I want to say maple or honey hits pretty good but is not over the top. There is enough acidic bite to the brew to balances out the sweetness

The mouthfeel is slick to slightly oily. It doesn't have the weight of most stouts, but it is enjoyable.

This brew is highly drinkable, damn near addicting. The carbonation is just right and the flavor sticks to the tongue and roof of the mouth.

Overall I highly recommend this beer. The taste is almost so complex as to be indescribable. I think it would pair nicely with a cheesecake or white meat dish.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%

Served from a chilled bottle poured into a pint glass. Head is thick and tan, about 3.5 fingers from a hard pour. It took a good 3-4 minutes for the head to subside with some moderate lacing left behind. The beer itself is exceptionally dark, midnight black even when held to the light.

The smell is a bit lighter than I had hoped, but still is rich in roasted oatmeal, cream, hints of chocolate, and burnt coffee.

It tastes fuller than the smell might indicate, with the burnt coffee, chocolate, and roasted oats coming to the forefront and then a slightly creamy roasty slightly sweet finish that is qute nice.

This beer has a remarkable feel. Silky smooth, only light carbonation which balances perfectly with the soft and full texture. My surprise was in the finish, where it becomes much lighter and doesn't leave much if any residue.

I could easily see myself drinking these all day due to the rich body yet surprisingly smooth and light finish.

We are all a little biased when it comes to our favorite beers but since that is consistent all around the map - nothing to worry about..
appearance: beautiful black.. a little red when held to the light but one of the blackest beers you will find.
smell: big sweet dark (and dried) fruit.. hints of mollasses and caramel.. coffee (and here it is very relative- I get almost a complex African coffee)
taste:sweet, tart.. maybe black current.. slightly sour.. beautiful berry undertones.. are they black, blue? - you decide! wonderful maltiness.
mouthfeel: big syrupy feel..nectar!
drinkability: surprisingly easy to drink

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

This is yet another great brew by Sam Smith and an excelent example of the style. Very drinker friendly.

Poured a nice dark brown brew on my pint glass along with a brown creamy full crown. The oatmeal dominates the aromas, with some hops and barley touches too. Very little carbonation with full body. Smooth oatmeal taste that starts you up followed by the roasted malts and barley ending in a dryish hoppy aftertaste. Nice drinkabilty.

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice deep black, not too much head here. Not getting much smell except for a bit of familiar Samuel Smith's funkiness (perhaps from the well water they use) which I recognize from their other beers. Taste is just excellent. Absolutely delicious. Nothing too overstated, no big explosion of flavors here, but a perfect balance of chocolaty, caramel-y, oatmeal-y, malty goodness with a bit of hop bitterness. Getting a little bit of licorice and currant. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Very tasty.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

got 3 550 ml bottles for christmas. Very dark in bottle, you can forget that the bottle is clear. I'm all in favor of traditions...but the clear glass should go. This bottle was fine but I have had off bottles...problem is most packy sell this if they're going to carry a "gourmet" beer....but not alll stores take care of them or turn them fast enough. The flavor was malty with choc and coffee overtones...but not as tasty as Storm King or some of the better porters. Mouthfeel also not as thick as I would expect form an oatmeal stout...but the oats do make it feel silky.Overall a good beer but not up to the standards of the finest stouts and porters

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)