Join our email list →

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Oatmeal Stout | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,220 | Hads: 6,363
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A- Pours a deep brown w/ a one-inch head that dissipates relatively quickly.

S/T/M- This brew has a sweet, creamy, and nutty character up front followed by tones of molasses, chocolate, and coffee. Maybe a bit of caramel. The finish is a lingering sweetness and mild to moderate hop bitterness. Feels very smooth and creamy in the mouth..not too thick.

D- Good.

I really enjoy this beer but have to be in the mood. It's a tad sweet for me at times. There's a lot of complexity though, and it's different for me every time. Great beer.

4.16/5  rDev -1%

Hard pour from brown 550ml bottle into seidel .

Deep antique mahogeny color with caramel head. Big sticky bubbles oozing up through the fine muck. Looks like La Brea tar pitts. I think something is breathing under there!

Couldn't smell much till the end. Chocolate and nugget. I'm thinking Milky Way candy bar.

Creamy, crushed velvet smooth roast malt, chocolate, and nut, with a light sourness at the end that dissapears quickly.

Quite easy to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This is something different...I poured it into a pint glass. Black with tan head. Leaves lacing.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but this beer is silky smooth yet thick and creamy. Very nice.

Smell: Molasses and faint chocolate. Not too strong.

I'm having a tough time pinning down the taste. Good roasted malt flavor, some dark chocolate and molasses. There's some bitter herbal quality.

Quite complex. I enjoyed the change from other stouts (non-oatmeal), even if I struggled to identify it completely.

3.32/5  rDev -21%

Beautiful black liquid contrasted by a cream colored head towering about 1,5 inches. The aroma is earthy with a hint of roasted coffee and chocolate, however rather bland and weak. The taste is light but complex with a lot of grains and a hint of coffee, though I must say I felt a slightly metallic aftertaste which brings down the grade a notch.. It is smooth to the palate and makes a rather easy beer to drink, perfect session beer. Overall it is a great beer with some minor flaws, deeply recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

This one has aromas of malt and oatmeal! Smells like a hearty beer and it does not dissapoint!

A great assortment of flavors here. Malt, hints of chocolate and good old fashioned oatmeal! Wonderful Stout from one of my favorite breweries!

Do not miss this one! Great on a cool winter night!

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearence was very dark with a nice tan head that remains and sticks to the glass.
Smell was sweet with notes of toasted malt.
Taste was very very creamy and then very rich. The malt character is very complex with chocolate, toasted and mollasses flavors. Hop flavor and aroma was unnoticeable but did keep the malt profile from being overly sweet. The oats add a creamy sweet flavor making this an exceptional beer.
Mouthfeel was medium and the drinkability high for such a sweet beer.

One of my favorite all-time beers. And also very good for breakfast.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I have heard many raves about this stout and I have to say I have never
had the opportunity to try it until today.

and...

It lived up to the hype!

First. It was a very fresh beer. Only the freshest from hercules nyc

A: Great pour, exceptional head it actually lined the entire inside of my glass all the way down. Poured a dark brown that created a mocha head with alot of carbonation evident.

S: Smells like Oatmeal! Very subtle nutty, grainy scents

T: I have nothing to say but YuM! Very tasty beer. Tastes like bitter oats that finish with a sweet aftertaste that is very smooth.

M: Medium to full body beer.

D: I am on my way back to the store for a case! I can drink this beer all night long. This is my type of beer. Not to strong but goes down very smooth. Even though it has a heavy feel i do not find myself filling up. Very Very Tasty.

This beer will be in my home for the holidays for sure!!

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

this is pretty much the defining ale of this genre. and sam smith is the beer geeks coca cola, widely available and always excellent. this beer pours a dark brown, as dark as you'd expect from a stout but it has a very persistent head. for mouth feel and rich smoothness sam smith's oatmeal stout can't be beat. they've got the carbonation to richness/thickness ratio just right. this stout is no slouch on taste either. theres a very slight estery taste here but it has a very pleasant finish. i think sam smith's is a bit sweeter but its not cloying.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle bought at local wine/beer shop in Chicago, IL

A - Opaque brown pour with a two finger creamy, light brown head. Good retention.

S - Malty with a hint of chocolate.

T - Malty followed a intense sweetness finished with a mouth cleansing bitterness.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth.

D - Nice drinkable beer. Something to have with a meal and then have another aftewards to enjoy the post meal coma with.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This time, I had a 12-ounce bottle poured into a mug.

The appearance is great for a stout. Inky darkness with a nice brown head. After settling, the head remains about 1/8 inch thick with some lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma is extremely pleasant but is missing a little of the roasty note that I would enjoy in a stout. There is a little of the roasted/coffee smell and a lot of sweetness. I am not detecting any hop character.

The taste is quite sweet with roasted notes and a little bit of the yeast flavors. There is a nice little bitterness, mainly in the after taste. There is that special taste which I have been told comes from the fermentation in slate squares - wherever it comes from, I wish I could reproduce it in my own brewing.

The mouth feel is silky and smooth. The carbonation is balanced by the smoothness of the oatmeal.

This has been one of my favorite beers for years and it still tastes great, even when I have mostly been drinking belgian and french beers lately.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Dark, dark, and more dark with a brownish hue if held up to the light. Beige coloured head exhibits solid retention.

S - Could use a stronger nose, but there are hints of oats and roasted coffee.

T - The flavour primarily consists of oats and roasted malts and is not overpowering. Excellent semi-dry finish which has a touch of sweet dark chocolate and bitter cacao.

M - Silky smooth like an Oatmeal stout should be. Medium-bodied with a low carbonation makes this an easy drinking stout.

O - Delicious. Love the finish and consistent flavours that don't try too hard too impress, they just do. This was surprisingly thinner than I expected but it somehow just works for this beer.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured black with a nice and creamy tan head, leaving behind good lacing in the glass.

Smell: At first I picked out roasted malt, a bit of coffee and cocoa with oatmeal. On second sniff I picked out dark cherries and other dark fruits with a very faint hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts on the taste. Slight hint of the dark fruit to back it up. I also can pick out the oatmeal in the taste.

Feel: Nice and creamy but a little bit watery for my liking. I wish it had a bit of a thicker mouth feel for an oatmeal stout but I have to remember it is only 5% ABV and not a RIS. The wateriness does not take away from the experience of the beer.

Overall: I like this oatmeal stout very much. It is a sessionable brew with nice flavors to match the nose. My only gripe is the thinner mouth feel. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts/oatmeal stouts.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Black, nearly opaque. Thick tan head with good retention. Modest lacing all the way down. Not overly carbonated.

S - Very subtle sweet, nutty aroma

T - Very malty with a nice hop balance. Coffee finish.

M - Definite presence without being too thick. Very creamy.

D - I really enjoyed this beer, it was very smooth without being syrupy. Not so strong that it would overpower robust foods. Even those that don't like stouts might find this one approachable.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So great, so dark. This beer doesn't speak of evil though. So much flavor, I'm at a loss. A beer to try, you must. You will not be disapointed with the flavor, if you love a black beer. It has so much more character than a stout of any kind, yet lets you feel like you already ate breakfast. This beer is worth the investment. A great cold weather friend. This is an amazing beer.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance is black as night in an abandond buildings basement. there is a nice full head with a hint of brown upon pouring the glass. this soon resides to a thin tan mist and clings to the glass all the way down.

Smell is of roasted nuts with a slight tang to it.

Taste is absolutly amazing. Slightly roasted nuts, with a coffie tang, smooth as milk and twice as tasty.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

this IS a good stout for sure. i dont think its THE stout like people say, tho. i mean the bitterness is just there a WEE bit too much for the perfect score i think. maybe its just my own tastes (I love young's double choc for example) but i think theres a littl e room for improvement here.
it does have nive coffee flavors, is very smooth on the palate, and is a bit more drinkable than many in the family tho i wouldnt say its a session.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wonderful Oatmeal stout!

Deep Brown color with good head retention, Great aroma of dark caramel, coffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted barley. Rich flavors from start to finish that balance superbly to make this brew very drinkable for style.

A must have for Stout lovers, i wish it was more readily available out here in hawaii.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

cool looking skinny bottle. pours black with the slightest hint of amber. has a finger and half rocky tan head that died down quickly. smells like toffee and hops. tastes like it smells with an aftertaste of coffee and a slight metallic taste. a little over carbonated(i'm not big on carbonation) with a fizzy mouthfeel that's slightly sticky. very drinkable beer especially when it's cold outside. pretty filling and overall I'd say it's a pretty good beer but it doesn't stand out to me.

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This Oatmeal Stout pours a tall dark chocolate milk-colored head of foam on top of a dark, nearly-black body with some red-amber on the edges.

It gives off a very mild aroma that I would describe as "sweet-smelling".

Toasty and pleasant, without any strong overwhelming flavors, it finishes with a subdued bitterness.

This Stout has a very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation and body make it seem a lot lighter than its color suggests.

Overall, a very drinkable beer-- not as assertive as it's appearance would lead you to believe.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a glass, as I always do. Black in color, with a nice mochaish head. Excellent lacing, great body...like your mom. Very sweet tasting for a stout, nodes of burnt coffee and chocolate, nice malty taste and excellent drinkability for an oatmeal stout. Really good beer here.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving: 550 ml bottle, split between me and my brother.

Great head, very light tan, persists for seemlingly ever.

A: Black, good lace.

S: Very mild and doesn't give much of a hint about what is to come.

T: Unharsh, salty, oaty (of course), a long with very hidden maltyness.

M: No oily-ness makes this one easy to go down.

D: I restrained myself, but the drinkabililty is quite exceptional.

Overall, very solid brew. Got it on sale and it was worth every scent.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

From a 550ml bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A gorgeous beer with an average head. Great smell about it, and the mouthfeel is fantastic. That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of the aftertaste, it was almost a little sour. But a very strong oatmeal flavor to it, which I enjoyed.

Overall, it's a good beer but not for me, I much prefer something dryer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Served in a 12oz bottle.

A: Awesome ultra dark black with a nice brown head with some good lacing. Personally, I think that the head for the most part depends on how you pour it. I pour it the right way so that their is not so much head. But anyway, a very good appearance.

S: A nice molasses aroma with chocolate and a hint of oatmeal. Also a nice coffee aroma. Overall a pleasant smell.

T: Wow, what can I say? I was a little hesitant about an oatmeal stout but damn was it worth it! It has a slight oatmeal taste with your usual flavors, coffee, chocolate, molasses. It also has an earthy tone throughout it that really brings it all together.

M: Very creamy, but not so milky if that makes sense. It has a great body to it, very rich.

D: I could definitely sit down and savor the four-pack I bought it in. It is rich but not so overwhelming that you can only drink one.

Notes: I was really impressed with this Beer. If you have not tried this, go and find out where to get one, it's worth it.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

The first bottle i picked up as a single on the road and was forced to drink out of the bottle , but it was quite good. A nice pleasant malt/ vanilla flavor. I was quite impressed. However I bought a 4 pack and busted one out and poured it in a glass and it was not quite as good as the one I had had before. Possibly a bad bottle. Not terrible , just not as good. Still would recommend if you can find at a decent price. I think i overpaid at 12.99 a 4 pack

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had never tried an Oatmeal stout and was looking forward to
trying this product. The description on the box was interesting
mentioned that outmeal stout used to be consumed by
athletes training for events.

Tasted very nice, not overpowering.
Full bodied flavor and a very rich head.
The aroma was pleasant, and the taste was amazing.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)