Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,189 | Hads: 6,210
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a wonderful dark brown color, with a creamy light brown head.

The smell is a very subtle hint of malt. I found the beer's aroma almost non-existent.

A malted, nutty flavor with a delightful smoky aftertaste that lingers on the tongue.

Great mouthfeel, with a good balance of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. One of the better Oatmeal Stouts I've tasted and definitely lived up to the hype I've heard about it.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a English dimpled mug.

Poured a deep dark brown with a thick brown head fading to sheets of lacing. Smells of tobacco, chocolate, roasted coffee.Taste of burnt bitter coffee for a moment, then sweet chocolate/coffee with a mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel smooth with a medium body. Wonderfully easy to drink, the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout was one of the first Stouts I ever drank and along with their Imperial Stout is still one of my favorites.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a stemmed pilsner glass from a pint bottle.

A - Very dark, almost opaque brown with a hint of red at the bottom of the glass. Produced a thick and foamy tan head that was at least two fingers that slowly dissipated.

S - Coffee at first, some sweetness and just a little bit of alcohol when i cup the glass.

T - Great taste; like coffee and roasted malts. Theres oats and some nuttiness in there as well. Finished with subtle (but appreciated) hoppiness that didn't linger. Tried as I could, I didn't detect any chocolate or dark fruit flavors like others could.

M - Silky and smooth. Medium body with not much dryness dispite hops in the finish. Sort of coats the mouth nicely.

D - Good drinkabilty due to the incredible smoothness. However this seemed like a meal in a glass. I don't think I could drink too many more pints even if I wanted to.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

A nice dark stout with great carbonation a good head that lasts. A slight metallic smell that comes from the old traditional pots that are used. None of that is infused into the flavor though.

The first thing that comes to mind after a small sip is walnut. That flavor is followed by chocolate and of course oatmeal. Those flavors cover well the bitterness that is found in stouts.

Samuel Smith stouts have always been great and this beer is nothing less than excellent. It is pleasurable in the mouth and does not leave a bad aftertaste. I enjoyed this beer with every sip.

My favorite beer. It reminds me of simpler times. It's simple. So simple, it's perfect. I can drink this every day, at any temperature, with any meal. This is the definition of a beer. No bells, no whistles, nothing pretty. This is BEER.

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%

I tried this oatmeal stout simply because it was a Samuel Smith... and usually their stuff is really good. But there were both ups and downs to this interesting brew.

It poured pitch black into a regular glass, with very little head quickly disappearing into a fine lace around the rim.
The scent is quite strong with the obvious oatmeal and hints of raisin... someother fruit that i can't point my finger on, thought it's not fig. Very pleasant and nice to look at, but that's where the pleasantries end.
You take a sip and initially the mouthfeel is mild and underwhelming, with a grainy malty taste. Not much to get excited about, and then the aftertaste hits you when you swallow. A little on the bitter side, and quite bland with no taste.
I can see this as a nice addition to a meal... but on it's own it's a little bit disappointing. Not a bad beer, though.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Has a distributor giving samples of this stuff at the local beer store.
Tried it then bought a pint.

It poured dark dark dark. No light to be seen through the glass. It had a frothy tan head with incredible creaminess and staying power. Left lots of lacing.

The smell was of roasty malt and oats with a touch of hoppiness.

The taste was incredible. It was sweet and coffee and malty all at the same time. I was eating italian at the time and this beer could not have paired better with anything else. It made me have seconds of the chicken parmesan and another pint. Had to send my pregnant wife back to the beer store (not really i had one in the fridge)

The mouthfeel was as I would expect from a oatmeal stout very creamy and full.

Overall this is a stout I will drink over and over again. It is great with or after a meal. I can't say anything bad about it.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

A - No light can pass through this stout, it is the same hue as any stout. Tan lumpy head which initially settles just over a finger thick and ebs to a centimeter with sticky lacing.

S - Vanilla then chocolate then sweet cookie dough.

T - Starts out with a slight rotten fruit flavor but this disappears instantly and gives way to a perfectly sweet flavour- the sweetness is not nasty, burning, or cloying its just perfect. SMOOOTH. Finishes light chocolate with the bitterness of a fine chocolate bar.

M - Perfect, it is smooth and finished slightly slick. Theres a tad of oaty graininess which is cleaned out by the slickness. I want to drink this. At 7% it is still very, very drinkable

D - I could drink this for the rest of my life. It tastes so fresh and yet it shipped from so far away.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

believe the hype. This is an awesome oatmeal stout. Sweet, rich, not too thick, which lends to drinkability. Pours dark coffee to black. Sweet like chocolate up front with slightly bitter aftertaste Complex taste and good both cold and slightly warmer. Not too high on the alcohol content, which prevents it from losing taste. A classic.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is about a good as you can do. Dark, roasty, sweet, smooth. A tan head that follows you all the way down the glass. I remember the first one of these I ever had, it was like opening my eyes for the first time. There isn't a lot that can be said about Samuel Smith besides- "Wow" and "Yes, please." Also, considering there are a couple of bars here in Omaha where you can get a pint for under $5, it is a no-brainer go to beer.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

Served in a Pint Glass

A: Thick, dark, nice tan head that disappears shortly. Still looks gorgeous

S: Malts, oats, slight chocolate and coffee notes. There is a hint of off, like soy sauce or sherry, perhaps due to oxidation.

T&M: Thick and creamy, nice mouthfeel, again some oxidation.

D: Have had this many times, and I don't think the beer is taken care of very well. Seems like it always tastes slightly off due to oxidation. Would love to try this on tap sometime.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

ST=1 pint bottle poured into glass mug
A=very dark almost black/well over 4 finger head/very thick malt head/no carbonation.
S=sweet chocolate
T=not too sweet but there is sweetness
M=very light bodied
D=very smooth and delicious

i would drink this again,its sweet,very flavorful,and smells really sweet.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Opaque black, no light shining through when held up. Beautiful tan head that lasts the entire pint.

Smell: Oats, sweetness, vanilla ice cream, raisins.

Taste: Sweet, malty, creamy, slight bitter roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Not much else like it, smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: High for a stout. Drank it with pizza and hot wings, passed the test.

Overall, one of the best examples of the style against which all others are measured.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I bought this beer from a total wine store, and poured it into a tulip style glass.
It made a huge head at first, but quickly deflated and left almost no lacing. (glass may not have been super clean)
It smells, as expected, of roasted malt. With some cocoa and a faint metalic scent that might be part of the malts.
The taste and feel to me are perfect. not super thick, but still able to coat and linger. a well balanced flavor not too sweet or bitter, and carbonation that lasts to the bottom.
These bottles are pretty big, looks like 18oz. the one gave me a little buzz, but i could see fitting in 3 or 4 of these in an evening.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

This is, in my opinion, one of Samuel Smith’s best offerings. The smell is this wonderful roasted barley smell which carries over very well into its flavor as does its silky smooth feel in the mouth. The oatmeal provides a complex flavor to the malted barley and hint of hops. After a sip you might notice an almost dry bittersweet after taste. Truly a grand ale from a grand brewer.

2.37/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Aroma of oats and hint of chocolate, subtle notes of molasses. Taste is medium dry with a small amount of bitterness with notes of coffee and grains. Very pleasantly creamy mouthfeel and a medium body. Possible metallic-like off flavor/aroma.

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

Aroma: Alcohol sweetness jumps straight out in front. Moderate oatmeal and raisin bran. Smells a lot like a highly alcoholic oatmeal raisin cookie.

Appearance: Opaque black, no light getting through this one. Low, dense tan had that persists.

Flavor: Rich and full roastiness without being bitter. Tastes much like it smells, with a lot of oatmeal, dark bread crust, moderately raisiny. Finishes quite dry with a lingering alcohol sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Big, thick body with low carbonation.

Overall Impression: The aroma is pretty startling at first. The alcohol smell detracts and overwhelms a lot of the malt character going on. It is absolutely delicious. I can't shake the feeling that it tastes like an oatmeal cookie soaked in rich alcohol. Very pleasant and complex. Would make a great dessert.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Once served to lactating mothers for its nutritional value I am soothed by this stout's character and drinkabilty. I found it in a Sam Smith Seasonal Sampler at Jungle Jim's. I wish I had a keg to call my own. The Imperial Stout is also first rate.

I would go out of my way to stock up on this brew. It is as close to brew perfection as I've ever been. The only brew I love as much is Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Oh how I love this beer. Even starting to write a review about it makes my mouth water. The smell is fantastic! A rich roasted malty flavour that attacks your senses. You have to pour this beer then let it sit for a while. When this beer is too cold it destroys the taste. Like most good beers in my opinion. When it gets to the 55 degree mark start your drinking. You'll notice that about halfway through your already considering another one. Order it before you run out! If your not familiar with English brews don't be surprised by the lack of head. Thats a normal trait of good English beers. Enjoy.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Now this is damn good beer. Poured from a 550ml bottle at around cellar temp this beer comes out nice and dark (almost pure black in color). As I put the glass to my nose I can tell I going to enjoy this one. I get the scent of chocolate, coffee, and maybe some oats. The taste is outstanding and reconfirms what my nose has told me. All the flavors are there including some maltiness and hops. If anyone whats to get me something for my birthday I'd be more than happy with this stuff. A great stout in my opinion.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a wine glass

Pours a deep black like ink with a cocoa colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring that remains until the beer is gone

Smells like chocolate

Tastes of chocolate, oatmeal and plum

Creamy mouthfeel

Clean finish

Very nice beer.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would love to have this beer fresh on the tap. Maybe someday, for today I had to settle for a bottle.

A- Wonderfully dark. Fine head retention and carbonation.

S- Nice roast smell. Subtle chocolate. No hop smell present, which for this beer is great.

T- Yes. Very well balanced malt taste. Not really picking up astringent bitterness from the dark malts and that makes me happy.

M- Yes. Mouthfeel is beautiful.

Ahhh oatmeal stouts. This is one of my personal favorite beer categories and this one is up there with the best.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Sits like a work of art in the glass. Black with a tan caramelly looking head.

S: Not very earthy smelling but the hops are clearly present. The coffee and chocolate makes this just smell mouthwatering. It's not too rich, though; it's nicely balanced by the roast.

T: Perfect. I have yet to have a better tasting beer. Incredibly balanced flavor with the sweetness of the malt and the chocolate being countered by the roast of the coffee and the very mild bitterness that disappears as soon as this is swallowed. Completely clean finish.

M: I'm being a stickler by only giving it a 4.0. The mouthfeel is pretty standard for an oatmeal stout--thicker than a lager but it's not milk. I just want the creaminess of a Belhaven Scottish Ale mixed with the flavor of this beer. It'd be like a milkshake.

O: Everyone in my family likes this beer, and NO ONE else in my family likes beer. It may be the perfect stout for me.

2.66/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For an Oatmeal Stout I was quite disappointed in this beer. Why would you even make an Oatmeal Stout with only a 5% alcohol content? I won't say it's a bad beer, but why it gets such high ratings on here, I cannot understand why. It has high carbonation which is ok, but it lacks kick or punch that good oatmeal stouts have. The head was not very dark, so it just seemed weird to have such a dark beer with a light head. Some people might enjoy this beer and I think those that do do not like strong tasting beers. If you are looking for a step up from a Guinness beer this might be for you, but if you like strong intense beers, which I expect from an Oatmeal stout, this beer isn't for you.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)