Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,134
4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Oh how I love this beer. Even starting to write a review about it makes my mouth water. The smell is fantastic! A rich roasted malty flavour that attacks your senses. You have to pour this beer then let it sit for a while. When this beer is too cold it destroys the taste. Like most good beers in my opinion. When it gets to the 55 degree mark start your drinking. You'll notice that about halfway through your already considering another one. Order it before you run out! If your not familiar with English brews don't be surprised by the lack of head. Thats a normal trait of good English beers. Enjoy. (603 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Now this is damn good beer. Poured from a 550ml bottle at around cellar temp this beer comes out nice and dark (almost pure black in color). As I put the glass to my nose I can tell I going to enjoy this one. I get the scent of chocolate, coffee, and maybe some oats. The taste is outstanding and reconfirms what my nose has told me. All the flavors are there including some maltiness and hops. If anyone whats to get me something for my birthday I'd be more than happy with this stuff. A great stout in my opinion. (515 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a wine glass

Pours a deep black like ink with a cocoa colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring that remains until the beer is gone

Smells like chocolate

Tastes of chocolate, oatmeal and plum

Creamy mouthfeel

Clean finish

Very nice beer. (266 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would love to have this beer fresh on the tap. Maybe someday, for today I had to settle for a bottle.

A- Wonderfully dark. Fine head retention and carbonation.

S- Nice roast smell. Subtle chocolate. No hop smell present, which for this beer is great.

T- Yes. Very well balanced malt taste. Not really picking up astringent bitterness from the dark malts and that makes me happy.

M- Yes. Mouthfeel is beautiful.

Ahhh oatmeal stouts. This is one of my personal favorite beer categories and this one is up there with the best. (530 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Sits like a work of art in the glass. Black with a tan caramelly looking head.

S: Not very earthy smelling but the hops are clearly present. The coffee and chocolate makes this just smell mouthwatering. It's not too rich, though; it's nicely balanced by the roast.

T: Perfect. I have yet to have a better tasting beer. Incredibly balanced flavor with the sweetness of the malt and the chocolate being countered by the roast of the coffee and the very mild bitterness that disappears as soon as this is swallowed. Completely clean finish.

M: I'm being a stickler by only giving it a 4.0. The mouthfeel is pretty standard for an oatmeal stout--thicker than a lager but it's not milk. I just want the creaminess of a Belhaven Scottish Ale mixed with the flavor of this beer. It'd be like a milkshake.

O: Everyone in my family likes this beer, and NO ONE else in my family likes beer. It may be the perfect stout for me. (923 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again. (885 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For an Oatmeal Stout I was quite disappointed in this beer. Why would you even make an Oatmeal Stout with only a 5% alcohol content? I won't say it's a bad beer, but why it gets such high ratings on here, I cannot understand why. It has high carbonation which is ok, but it lacks kick or punch that good oatmeal stouts have. The head was not very dark, so it just seemed weird to have such a dark beer with a light head. Some people might enjoy this beer and I think those that do do not like strong tasting beers. If you are looking for a step up from a Guinness beer this might be for you, but if you like strong intense beers, which I expect from an Oatmeal stout, this beer isn't for you. (692 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

A - poured a very dark brown with a nice toasted marshmallow colored head

S - a little sweet and malty

T - very well balanced and smooth; coffee tones that were not overwhelming

M - light to medium bodied, expected something a little thicker with it pouring so dark

O - very nice stout for someone who is not a big stout drinker (332 characters)

When my mom used to try to shovel down the Quaker stuff I would gag...if only she'd known about Mr. Smith....this is wicked stuff and, without question, one of the finest stouts I've ever tried...big, bold and beautiful...the Irish drink pony pee by comparison! (261 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

found in a local Bevmo in 22 oz (?) and 12 oz bottles (4 pack).

the bottle seemed to be dark brown colored like many others, with the golden foil concealing clear top. after pouring the oatmeal stout, I was surprised to see an all clear piece of item in my hand.

a strong aromatic brought out a good mixture of coffee, cream and oatmeal. it reminded me of an Irish Bailey.

pouring it into a chilled mug straight (out of the freezer) created an immense amount of foam. I had to pause to let the head settle before squeezing the last drop out. the head did not stay long as it fizzled quickly into the atmosphere. the body was so dark you can't see through it, as expected from a stout, but with hints of browness.

some malty sweetness in the flavor, very creamy and did not bite. good creamy oatmeal appeal on the tastebuds with a little bit of carbonation and some aftertaste. drinkability was ok as it took me a lilttle while to finish this beer.

this beer may be much much better on tap, which could be said the same for many other beers, therefore I can't help but add that the oatmeal stout came a long way from England to the land where oatmeal stouts do not rule enough for people clear the shelves in time for fresher batches. however I do recommend this for special occasions, all the while served cold, and I mean COLD. serving it warm can make the stout way too unappealingly sweet. (1,407 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark Stout color with ruby edges. I can just barely make out my 100 watt porch light when I hold it up. Poured with a nice toasty head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

Smell: I very much enjoy the aromas given off by this beer. Very malty smell, though my smeller is somewhat untrustworthy thanks to allergies.

Taste: I'm not sure how to describe the taste. It's not as bitter as some other stouts. There is a lot going on there, I taste some nuttiness, and maybe a slight metallic tinge after swallowing, but I enjoy the particular bitterness it gives off. Not too harsh.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, actually feels lighter in my mouth that other stouts I've had. Carbonation is spot on and doesn't detract from the tastes at all.

Drinkabillity: I can see why this one is rated so high. I can see myself going back to this quite a bit. After a long day out in the sun, like I had today, it's perfect for sitting back and taking my mind off of things. Doesn't give me the same full feeling I get from other stounts, so I can see putting a few of them down in succession. (1,143 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured almost black from bottle, but head didn't last too long. Slight chocolate and coffee ground aroma. Litle thin in the body, but I was comparing it with another stout on tap, poured through a creamer. Easy to drink. No lingering malt bitterness (249 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout into a pint glass. Nice thick head, light tan in color. Smell is a little faint, sweet aroma of malt maybe caramel or chocolate. Taste is really good, not as dark and heavy as I was expecting. Fairly smooth sweet oat malt flavor. After taste is a little tart/acidic but fades into a coffee and oat taste, very nice. Love the mouthfeel and perfect carbonation.

Overall: I was surprised by this beer. I was expecting more of a stout and more malt than was here. I like it better this way, so this is good. I recommend this beer, it was better than I thought it would be. (607 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +11%

Bottle at Harlow’s in Peterborough. Pours black as night. Oatmeal tan head rises magnificently and gracefully exits by halfway through the glass. Notes of oatmeal, cream, chocolate, some malt, in the aroma. Mouthfeel is top notch. Silky smooth, rich, surprisingly drinkable for such a full beer. Flavor is yeasty, chocolate, oatmeal, cream, vanilla, and a bit of hearty smoked meat. Finishes very smooth, with the mildest of hop bitterness. Really a superb beer, certainly my favorite sweet stout, and the best Sam Smith. (523 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours with tan foamy head w/ medium sized bubbles. Good head retention. Very dark brown with reddish highlights. Almost opaque but in right light see that this is very clear.

Aroma: Coffee and milk sweet- almost cookie like. A hint of diacetyl in first wiff - appropriate for style. Also some caramel. No hops or roastiness detected. Some light fruity esters.

Flavor: Oatmeal sweetness and milky coffee flavor. Very light roastiness upon swallowing. A very slight taste of butter from the diacetyl which is appropriate for the style. No hop flavor but a low hop bitterness to counteract the sweetness although balance still towards sweet side. Roast malt provides some dryness with the sweet resulting in a sweet but not cloying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with smooth, creamy texture. Carbonation medium with very slight bright tingle left on the tongue. Finishes sweet with residual oily coating on tongue- appropriate for style.

Overall: A very drinkable and flavorful beer. Nice milky coffee flavor with silky texture. Delicious by itself by it would also go great with desert. Worth picking up! (1,123 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't have a lot to add to this that hasn't already been said. In all, it's a good beer, but I was underwhelmed. I had the Taddy porter as my first beer from Sam Smith, and was hoping the Oatmeal Stout would be as impressive, but it isn't, sadly. A good beer, but not one I'll be likely to buy again. (302 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

So a wonderful mishap (in some ways) happened. Our vendor sent us Samuel Smith instead of Anderson Valley. Since our craft program is just now getting underway, and I had been talking up sweet stouts to many of my regular customers, I was able to convince the boss to let me go ahead and tag and sell the Samuel Smith.

I think we are more inclined to keep this beer now as well, due to speed at which went through it and both mine and the boss's findings of it.

Poured from a bottle into a chilled pint glass;

A: Midnight on a starless night, thick finger and half head that slowly dissipates slowly, leaves decent lacing.

S: Smells toasted, with hints of something buttery

T: Thick and rich, bready without it being overwhelming. (735 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

pours a dark brown with a mocha colored head. easy 3 finger collar of foam which hung around. initial taste was that of cocoa, roasted malts, chocolate and a nice sweetness. i love the description from the brewery that this beer was originally marketed to nursing mothers because my grandmother in law still swears that beer is what helped her babies sleep through the night when she was nursing. i really enjoyed the flavor profile of this beer and will definitely buy it again. (479 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10%

In a Brooklyn Brewery Snifter poured out of the Bottle, purchased at Total Wine.

Appearance: Dark, Like I’m talking pitch-black Dark, almost no light penetration. The head poured a good inch, which slowly dissipated to a constant covering of the top of the brew. Head is a light Tan, closer to khaki beige than it is to café con leche. The head leaves very nice thin lacing without having it “crust up” on the side after a while.

Aroma: Light Chocolate scent, very dry aroma. Lots of fruity notes again very dry. Trace notes of nuts and roasty scents.

Taste: very well balanced stout, every flavor has it’s counter part. The mild roasty flavor at the beginning is counter balanced by a good deal of bitterness. Chocolate and oatmeal along with a mild sweetness connect both extremes with subtlety as an underlying flavor throughout the brew.

Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as I like my stouts to be; however and excellent level of effervescent constant carbonation which keeps a thin head present all the time. Very smooth mouthfeel, which doesn’t dry out your palate or overwhelm it.

Overall: A very VERY well balanced beer. It manages to keep it’s maltic sweetness in check against the bitterness of the hops. And at a modest 5.00% ABV it doesn’t overwhelm the drinker, that’s not to say it’s sessionable but it’s definitely light by stout standards. (1,375 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals. (174 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

The first thing that struck me about this stout was the aroma, Very complex, almost sweet, with what I thought could have been vanilla among other things. The #1 surprise was the texture and consistency of this beer, I was expecting something much thicker, more like guiness, and boy was I surprised, a much smoother, lighter consistency with a great taste and just enough flavor to let you know you are drinking something quality without being over whelming. It took me more time to get a good overall sense of this stout then I would have expected, a compliment to the complexity of the flavor. (596 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

550 mL bottle into a pint glass. This one pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a reddish tinge on the edges. The head is a nice 3/4 in. one that kind of reminds me of the head on a root beer, only more compact. Lacing is noticable, but not anything over the top.

Smells very good; although my nose is a bit stopped up, I can smell some bready malt and maybe a tiny bit of chocolate and anise. The malt dominates the taste as well, of course. I really like the malt character in this one, and its sweetness is balanced out with just the right amount of hops (i.e. not very much). There's also a bit of a metallic taste in there somewhere -- sort of aluminum-ish (is that a word?) -- that I hadn't noticed the numerous other times I've had this beer. This is a really minor part of the taste, however. Overall, it doesn't really do much to hurt the smoothness that I love about the taste. And speaking of smoothness, the mouthfeel is nearly perfect. Smoooth and creamy, but they didn't forget to invite a little carbonation to the party. Yum.

This has always been a favorite of mine, and again I'm reminded why. After a summer chock full of hefes and pale ales, this has me really looking forward to drinking some dark beer again. If you like stouts and haven't had this, you're doing yourself a huge disservice, 'cause it's a real classic. (1,351 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

This was a very drinkable, very smooth stout. Poured from the brown bottle with gold foil.

Completely black, tab head, slight lacing, with an intoxicating smell. Very deep tofee, chocolate smell with an almost coniac scent mixed in.(maybe it's just me). A great beer from an old brewery. What would you expect? (314 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this beer is a must try. very drinkable and very smooth.
i would give this beer a higher rating but i was expecting more creaminess although it had just enough to keep
me happy. i bought a four pack to try and it was gone fast. i definitely will be buying more. (263 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

This stout poured as black as night. Well, almost. There are some subtle hints of ruby when held up to the light.

This stout smelled of fruit and chocolate. It has a very pleasant scent.

Taste is very complex. It's like cocoa wheats and toasted oats, with caramel apples. Sounds strange, but it went over well.

This is very smooth. It goes down very easily. You could polish off four of these things real quick if you aren't careful.

All in all, this is a good, solid stout Maybe a little heavy on the toasted oats. Not my favorite oatmeal, but definitely worthy of the occasional visit. (593 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)