Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm really hesitant to give 5's to anything, but I can't think of anything that I'd expect out of this beer that I'm not getting.
Black body, but with clear, ruby red highlights at the edges, and a super thick, long lasting and sticky head. It's a beauty.
A bit chocolaty on the nose. You've got the dry, roasty baker's chocolate thing going on, but it also has a bit of sweetness. too.
Taste is smooth, sweetish, chocolaty, just really nice. Mouthfeel is rather thick, with super nice carbonation and smoothness. The only downfall on drinkability is that it's a bit heavy.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Dark brown color, carefully poured produced a light brown foamy head at about 1/2" of depth and left good lacing down the glass. The smell yields some nice but faint aromas of dark roasted malt, a hint of coffee, and some additional aromas of lighter malts. The taste is this brew's strong point. An even mouthfeel, slightly chewy and very creamy, and a complex mix of malty goodness combine well with the relatively light carbonation all add up to an excellent experience. Samuel Smith's typically produces high quality brews and this is no exception. Very good.

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

One of the beers that got me into craft many years ago... time to revisit. 550ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Black, with brown highlights around the edges. Two fingers of mocha-colored head, retention is okay, and leaves spotty lacing on the glass which fades after 15 seconds or so.

S - Cheerios, some mild chocolate, faint nuttiness, and a bit of burnt sugar around the edges. Nice.

T - Not quite as good, but still nice. Milk chocolate, sourdough toast, and almonds. Plenty of malty sweetness. Short finish, and not much alcohol. If there's a word to describe it, it's mild.

M - The carbonation is great with small bubbles that contribute to a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. It is a bit on the light side, however.

D - With the low ABV and pleasant flavors, I could drink this all night.

O - While it's one of the beers that got me into "better" beer, I guess my palate has moved on. I still like it, and for the price it's definitely solid, but there are so many more interesting beers on the shelf around it.

4.21/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Pours a pitch black color with an inch thick brown head. Matter of fact.. when I opened the bottle the foam started coming out of the top almost spilling. The lacing is very nice.

Smell - Dark, roasted malts with molasses, nuts, and feint aromas of chocolate and coffee.

Taste - The roasted malts and creaminess go together perfectly.. It's also very earthy. I don't really taste the oatmeal. Coffee and molasses throughout, with a bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a creamy texture. Pretty light on the carbonation.

Overall - Other than the fact that I don't taste much oatmeal, this is a great stout.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.11/5  rDev -2.4%

Part of a generous Christmas offering from my good friend cdkrenz...thanks buddy! You knows I likes me a good stout!

A - Poured from the 12 oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Pours a deep dark brown color with an enormous fluffy tan head. Head retention is beautiful and it leaves a nice spotty lacing down the inside of my glass. The head is so fluffy and enduring that I find myself having to wait to drink this offering.

S - Heavy roasted malts, smells slightly astringent.

T & M - Dark roasted malt with a bit of bitter chocolate on the back end. Very creamy mouthfeel and fairly full bodied. I like a chewy beer, and this one doesn't let me down.

D - This is an excellent oatmeal stout...one any stout fan has to try. It sets the bar high for this particular beer style. The low ABV also helps make it a meal in the bottle that you can enjoy one bottle after the next.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I feel like this is a pretty standard oatmeal stout. It doesn't appear as lights out dark as some darker roasted stouts, but it has a bit more tan appearance around the edges, and leaves a medium in size, lighter in color head. The smell, taste, and mouthfeel of this beer are the highlights of it for me. It is fairly sweet for a stout, it tones back the darker malts and highlights sweeter carmel maltiness that leaves a foamy, sweet mouthfeel. It has a dry fruity flavor that I like.

3.29/5  rDev -21.9%

Picked up a 4-pack at BevMo, gave one to a friend, took three home...

Wow, look at that head! Big time froth, hung out for awhile.

Pours a way dark brown slash black.

It has a smell. Reminds me of the other Sam Smith beers I've tried. Distinctive brewery smell? Rich? Coffee? More? Maybe the alcohol?

Coffee beer! Actually the first stout I've tried to objectively look at. Hope my review doesn't step on any toes, but if it does I'll be OK.

I'm having this puppy for breakfast and I'm probably drinking too cold, but it's nice enough. I'll take this over a Starbucks anyday.

Overall: good choice, made a good breakfast. Don't know how many I'd drink in a row, but I'd definitely have one for breakfast again.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Thick, bubbly, tannish head on top of inky liquid. Sweet smelling raisiny malt with additional notes of toasted grains and chocolate. Not really any hops to be found in the nose. Silky smooth in the mouth with tiny pearly bubbles. Beer tasted roasty and sweet, at times reminding me of a Butterfinger of all things! There certainly was some coffee and some indescribable yet delicious ripe fruit.

Rich, complex, and classic brew. It’s less sophisticated than their Imperial Stout, but it still creates enough havoc in the mouth to keep you very, very interested. This is one of my sentimental favorites, so even if they get bought out by AB I’ll still drink it!

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)