Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,183 | Hads: 6,168
4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

believe the hype. This is an awesome oatmeal stout. Sweet, rich, not too thick, which lends to drinkability. Pours dark coffee to black. Sweet like chocolate up front with slightly bitter aftertaste Complex taste and good both cold and slightly warmer. Not too high on the alcohol content, which prevents it from losing taste. A classic. (337 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is about a good as you can do. Dark, roasty, sweet, smooth. A tan head that follows you all the way down the glass. I remember the first one of these I ever had, it was like opening my eyes for the first time. There isn't a lot that can be said about Samuel Smith besides- "Wow" and "Yes, please." Also, considering there are a couple of bars here in Omaha where you can get a pint for under $5, it is a no-brainer go to beer. (431 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

Served in a Pint Glass

A: Thick, dark, nice tan head that disappears shortly. Still looks gorgeous

S: Malts, oats, slight chocolate and coffee notes. There is a hint of off, like soy sauce or sherry, perhaps due to oxidation.

T&M: Thick and creamy, nice mouthfeel, again some oxidation.

D: Have had this many times, and I don't think the beer is taken care of very well. Seems like it always tastes slightly off due to oxidation. Would love to try this on tap sometime.

Serving type: bottle (496 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

ST=1 pint bottle poured into glass mug
A=very dark almost black/well over 4 finger head/very thick malt head/no carbonation.
S=sweet chocolate
T=not too sweet but there is sweetness
M=very light bodied
D=very smooth and delicious

i would drink this again,its sweet,very flavorful,and smells really sweet. (305 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Opaque black, no light shining through when held up. Beautiful tan head that lasts the entire pint.

Smell: Oats, sweetness, vanilla ice cream, raisins.

Taste: Sweet, malty, creamy, slight bitter roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Not much else like it, smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: High for a stout. Drank it with pizza and hot wings, passed the test.

Overall, one of the best examples of the style against which all others are measured. (446 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I bought this beer from a total wine store, and poured it into a tulip style glass.
It made a huge head at first, but quickly deflated and left almost no lacing. (glass may not have been super clean)
It smells, as expected, of roasted malt. With some cocoa and a faint metalic scent that might be part of the malts.
The taste and feel to me are perfect. not super thick, but still able to coat and linger. a well balanced flavor not too sweet or bitter, and carbonation that lasts to the bottom.
These bottles are pretty big, looks like 18oz. the one gave me a little buzz, but i could see fitting in 3 or 4 of these in an evening. (633 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

A nice dark stout with great carbonation a good head that lasts. A slight metallic smell that comes from the old traditional pots that are used. None of that is infused into the flavor though.

The first thing that comes to mind after a small sip is walnut. That flavor is followed by chocolate and of course oatmeal. Those flavors cover well the bitterness that is found in stouts.

Samuel Smith stouts have always been great and this beer is nothing less than excellent. It is pleasurable in the mouth and does not leave a bad aftertaste. I enjoyed this beer with every sip. (576 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

This is, in my opinion, one of Samuel Smith’s best offerings. The smell is this wonderful roasted barley smell which carries over very well into its flavor as does its silky smooth feel in the mouth. The oatmeal provides a complex flavor to the malted barley and hint of hops. After a sip you might notice an almost dry bittersweet after taste. Truly a grand ale from a grand brewer. (385 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Aroma of oats and hint of chocolate, subtle notes of molasses. Taste is medium dry with a small amount of bitterness with notes of coffee and grains. Very pleasantly creamy mouthfeel and a medium body. Possible metallic-like off flavor/aroma. (242 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

Aroma: Alcohol sweetness jumps straight out in front. Moderate oatmeal and raisin bran. Smells a lot like a highly alcoholic oatmeal raisin cookie.

Appearance: Opaque black, no light getting through this one. Low, dense tan had that persists.

Flavor: Rich and full roastiness without being bitter. Tastes much like it smells, with a lot of oatmeal, dark bread crust, moderately raisiny. Finishes quite dry with a lingering alcohol sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Big, thick body with low carbonation.

Overall Impression: The aroma is pretty startling at first. The alcohol smell detracts and overwhelms a lot of the malt character going on. It is absolutely delicious. I can't shake the feeling that it tastes like an oatmeal cookie soaked in rich alcohol. Very pleasant and complex. Would make a great dessert. (819 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the reason I can't wait for the late fall weather, when it is cool enough to start drinking stouts and porters. It is the standard by which I judge all oatmeals. (174 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Once served to lactating mothers for its nutritional value I am soothed by this stout's character and drinkabilty. I found it in a Sam Smith Seasonal Sampler at Jungle Jim's. I wish I had a keg to call my own. The Imperial Stout is also first rate.

I would go out of my way to stock up on this brew. It is as close to brew perfection as I've ever been. The only brew I love as much is Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. (418 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Oh how I love this beer. Even starting to write a review about it makes my mouth water. The smell is fantastic! A rich roasted malty flavour that attacks your senses. You have to pour this beer then let it sit for a while. When this beer is too cold it destroys the taste. Like most good beers in my opinion. When it gets to the 55 degree mark start your drinking. You'll notice that about halfway through your already considering another one. Order it before you run out! If your not familiar with English brews don't be surprised by the lack of head. Thats a normal trait of good English beers. Enjoy. (603 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Now this is damn good beer. Poured from a 550ml bottle at around cellar temp this beer comes out nice and dark (almost pure black in color). As I put the glass to my nose I can tell I going to enjoy this one. I get the scent of chocolate, coffee, and maybe some oats. The taste is outstanding and reconfirms what my nose has told me. All the flavors are there including some maltiness and hops. If anyone whats to get me something for my birthday I'd be more than happy with this stuff. A great stout in my opinion. (515 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a wine glass

Pours a deep black like ink with a cocoa colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring that remains until the beer is gone

Smells like chocolate

Tastes of chocolate, oatmeal and plum

Creamy mouthfeel

Clean finish

Very nice beer. (266 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would love to have this beer fresh on the tap. Maybe someday, for today I had to settle for a bottle.

A- Wonderfully dark. Fine head retention and carbonation.

S- Nice roast smell. Subtle chocolate. No hop smell present, which for this beer is great.

T- Yes. Very well balanced malt taste. Not really picking up astringent bitterness from the dark malts and that makes me happy.

M- Yes. Mouthfeel is beautiful.

Ahhh oatmeal stouts. This is one of my personal favorite beer categories and this one is up there with the best. (530 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Sits like a work of art in the glass. Black with a tan caramelly looking head.

S: Not very earthy smelling but the hops are clearly present. The coffee and chocolate makes this just smell mouthwatering. It's not too rich, though; it's nicely balanced by the roast.

T: Perfect. I have yet to have a better tasting beer. Incredibly balanced flavor with the sweetness of the malt and the chocolate being countered by the roast of the coffee and the very mild bitterness that disappears as soon as this is swallowed. Completely clean finish.

M: I'm being a stickler by only giving it a 4.0. The mouthfeel is pretty standard for an oatmeal stout--thicker than a lager but it's not milk. I just want the creaminess of a Belhaven Scottish Ale mixed with the flavor of this beer. It'd be like a milkshake.

O: Everyone in my family likes this beer, and NO ONE else in my family likes beer. It may be the perfect stout for me. (923 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: pours like a standard stout. Dark almost opaque with about a finger of head (gentle pour) that dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Not much there. Some roasted notes from the dark malts and dark chocolate. Not much fruit for me. Alcohol is present.

Taste: Again, not much there. Little hops (appropriate to style). Mild burnt coffee, a hint of chocolate. I find myself searching for more but unable to find the depth of a great stout. Some alcohol on the finish but not in a pleasant way.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and pretty full. The best point in my opinion. I enjoyed the body.

Overall: Disappointed twice now on this stuff. I know it is rated high and everyone has different taste buds. Mine are just not firing here. I would like to have pulled a few more aroma and flavor notes out here. It is one step up from a Guinness extra stout for me but no more. Will not venture to this again. (885 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

For an Oatmeal Stout I was quite disappointed in this beer. Why would you even make an Oatmeal Stout with only a 5% alcohol content? I won't say it's a bad beer, but why it gets such high ratings on here, I cannot understand why. It has high carbonation which is ok, but it lacks kick or punch that good oatmeal stouts have. The head was not very dark, so it just seemed weird to have such a dark beer with a light head. Some people might enjoy this beer and I think those that do do not like strong tasting beers. If you are looking for a step up from a Guinness beer this might be for you, but if you like strong intense beers, which I expect from an Oatmeal stout, this beer isn't for you. (692 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

A - poured a very dark brown with a nice toasted marshmallow colored head

S - a little sweet and malty

T - very well balanced and smooth; coffee tones that were not overwhelming

M - light to medium bodied, expected something a little thicker with it pouring so dark

O - very nice stout for someone who is not a big stout drinker (332 characters)

When my mom used to try to shovel down the Quaker stuff I would gag...if only she'd known about Mr. Smith....this is wicked stuff and, without question, one of the finest stouts I've ever tried...big, bold and beautiful...the Irish drink pony pee by comparison! (261 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

found in a local Bevmo in 22 oz (?) and 12 oz bottles (4 pack).

the bottle seemed to be dark brown colored like many others, with the golden foil concealing clear top. after pouring the oatmeal stout, I was surprised to see an all clear piece of item in my hand.

a strong aromatic brought out a good mixture of coffee, cream and oatmeal. it reminded me of an Irish Bailey.

pouring it into a chilled mug straight (out of the freezer) created an immense amount of foam. I had to pause to let the head settle before squeezing the last drop out. the head did not stay long as it fizzled quickly into the atmosphere. the body was so dark you can't see through it, as expected from a stout, but with hints of browness.

some malty sweetness in the flavor, very creamy and did not bite. good creamy oatmeal appeal on the tastebuds with a little bit of carbonation and some aftertaste. drinkability was ok as it took me a lilttle while to finish this beer.

this beer may be much much better on tap, which could be said the same for many other beers, therefore I can't help but add that the oatmeal stout came a long way from England to the land where oatmeal stouts do not rule enough for people clear the shelves in time for fresher batches. however I do recommend this for special occasions, all the while served cold, and I mean COLD. serving it warm can make the stout way too unappealingly sweet. (1,407 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark Stout color with ruby edges. I can just barely make out my 100 watt porch light when I hold it up. Poured with a nice toasty head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

Smell: I very much enjoy the aromas given off by this beer. Very malty smell, though my smeller is somewhat untrustworthy thanks to allergies.

Taste: I'm not sure how to describe the taste. It's not as bitter as some other stouts. There is a lot going on there, I taste some nuttiness, and maybe a slight metallic tinge after swallowing, but I enjoy the particular bitterness it gives off. Not too harsh.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, actually feels lighter in my mouth that other stouts I've had. Carbonation is spot on and doesn't detract from the tastes at all.

Drinkabillity: I can see why this one is rated so high. I can see myself going back to this quite a bit. After a long day out in the sun, like I had today, it's perfect for sitting back and taking my mind off of things. Doesn't give me the same full feeling I get from other stounts, so I can see putting a few of them down in succession. (1,143 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured almost black from bottle, but head didn't last too long. Slight chocolate and coffee ground aroma. Litle thin in the body, but I was comparing it with another stout on tap, poured through a creamer. Easy to drink. No lingering malt bitterness (249 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout into a pint glass. Nice thick head, light tan in color. Smell is a little faint, sweet aroma of malt maybe caramel or chocolate. Taste is really good, not as dark and heavy as I was expecting. Fairly smooth sweet oat malt flavor. After taste is a little tart/acidic but fades into a coffee and oat taste, very nice. Love the mouthfeel and perfect carbonation.

Overall: I was surprised by this beer. I was expecting more of a stout and more malt than was here. I like it better this way, so this is good. I recommend this beer, it was better than I thought it would be. (607 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)