Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,112 | Reviews: 2,229
4.66/5  rDev +10.7%

The holy grail of Oatmeal Stouts.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured black with a nice and creamy tan head, leaving behind good lacing in the glass.

Smell: At first I picked out roasted malt, a bit of coffee and cocoa with oatmeal. On second sniff I picked out dark cherries and other dark fruits with a very faint hint of the alcohol.

Taste: Coffee, Bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts on the taste. Slight hint of the dark fruit to back it up. I also can pick out the oatmeal in the taste.

Feel: Nice and creamy but a little bit watery for my liking. I wish it had a bit of a thicker mouth feel for an oatmeal stout but I have to remember it is only 5% ABV and not a RIS. The wateriness does not take away from the experience of the beer.

Overall: I like this oatmeal stout very much. It is a sessionable brew with nice flavors to match the nose. My only gripe is the thinner mouth feel. I recommend this to anyone who likes stouts/oatmeal stouts.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Black, nearly opaque. Thick tan head with good retention. Modest lacing all the way down. Not overly carbonated.

S - Very subtle sweet, nutty aroma

T - Very malty with a nice hop balance. Coffee finish.

M - Definite presence without being too thick. Very creamy.

D - I really enjoyed this beer, it was very smooth without being syrupy. Not so strong that it would overpower robust foods. Even those that don't like stouts might find this one approachable.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So great, so dark. This beer doesn't speak of evil though. So much flavor, I'm at a loss. A beer to try, you must. You will not be disapointed with the flavor, if you love a black beer. It has so much more character than a stout of any kind, yet lets you feel like you already ate breakfast. This beer is worth the investment. A great cold weather friend. This is an amazing beer.

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance is black as night in an abandond buildings basement. there is a nice full head with a hint of brown upon pouring the glass. this soon resides to a thin tan mist and clings to the glass all the way down.

Smell is of roasted nuts with a slight tang to it.

Taste is absolutly amazing. Slightly roasted nuts, with a coffie tang, smooth as milk and twice as tasty.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

this IS a good stout for sure. i dont think its THE stout like people say, tho. i mean the bitterness is just there a WEE bit too much for the perfect score i think. maybe its just my own tastes (I love young's double choc for example) but i think theres a littl e room for improvement here.
it does have nive coffee flavors, is very smooth on the palate, and is a bit more drinkable than many in the family tho i wouldnt say its a session.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wonderful Oatmeal stout!

Deep Brown color with good head retention, Great aroma of dark caramel, coffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted barley. Rich flavors from start to finish that balance superbly to make this brew very drinkable for style.

A must have for Stout lovers, i wish it was more readily available out here in hawaii.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

cool looking skinny bottle. pours black with the slightest hint of amber. has a finger and half rocky tan head that died down quickly. smells like toffee and hops. tastes like it smells with an aftertaste of coffee and a slight metallic taste. a little over carbonated(i'm not big on carbonation) with a fizzy mouthfeel that's slightly sticky. very drinkable beer especially when it's cold outside. pretty filling and overall I'd say it's a pretty good beer but it doesn't stand out to me.

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This Oatmeal Stout pours a tall dark chocolate milk-colored head of foam on top of a dark, nearly-black body with some red-amber on the edges.

It gives off a very mild aroma that I would describe as "sweet-smelling".

Toasty and pleasant, without any strong overwhelming flavors, it finishes with a subdued bitterness.

This Stout has a very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation and body make it seem a lot lighter than its color suggests.

Overall, a very drinkable beer-- not as assertive as it's appearance would lead you to believe.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a glass, as I always do. Black in color, with a nice mochaish head. Excellent lacing, great body...like your mom. Very sweet tasting for a stout, nodes of burnt coffee and chocolate, nice malty taste and excellent drinkability for an oatmeal stout. Really good beer here.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Serving: 550 ml bottle, split between me and my brother.

Great head, very light tan, persists for seemlingly ever.

A: Black, good lace.

S: Very mild and doesn't give much of a hint about what is to come.

T: Unharsh, salty, oaty (of course), a long with very hidden maltyness.

M: No oily-ness makes this one easy to go down.

D: I restrained myself, but the drinkabililty is quite exceptional.

Overall, very solid brew. Got it on sale and it was worth every scent.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

From a 550ml bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A gorgeous beer with an average head. Great smell about it, and the mouthfeel is fantastic. That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of the aftertaste, it was almost a little sour. But a very strong oatmeal flavor to it, which I enjoyed.

Overall, it's a good beer but not for me, I much prefer something dryer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a 12oz bottle.

A: Awesome ultra dark black with a nice brown head with some good lacing. Personally, I think that the head for the most part depends on how you pour it. I pour it the right way so that their is not so much head. But anyway, a very good appearance.

S: A nice molasses aroma with chocolate and a hint of oatmeal. Also a nice coffee aroma. Overall a pleasant smell.

T: Wow, what can I say? I was a little hesitant about an oatmeal stout but damn was it worth it! It has a slight oatmeal taste with your usual flavors, coffee, chocolate, molasses. It also has an earthy tone throughout it that really brings it all together.

M: Very creamy, but not so milky if that makes sense. It has a great body to it, very rich.

D: I could definitely sit down and savor the four-pack I bought it in. It is rich but not so overwhelming that you can only drink one.

Notes: I was really impressed with this Beer. If you have not tried this, go and find out where to get one, it's worth it.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

The first bottle i picked up as a single on the road and was forced to drink out of the bottle , but it was quite good. A nice pleasant malt/ vanilla flavor. I was quite impressed. However I bought a 4 pack and busted one out and poured it in a glass and it was not quite as good as the one I had had before. Possibly a bad bottle. Not terrible , just not as good. Still would recommend if you can find at a decent price. I think i overpaid at 12.99 a 4 pack

This is the single finest tasting oatmeal stout I have ever enjoyed.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

My second favorite beer. I love this stuff.

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Outstanding oatmeal stout, only knock I have is the annoying foil at the top of the cap, but the beer is amazing.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had never tried an Oatmeal stout and was looking forward to
trying this product. The description on the box was interesting
mentioned that outmeal stout used to be consumed by
athletes training for events.

Tasted very nice, not overpowering.
Full bodied flavor and a very rich head.
The aroma was pleasant, and the taste was amazing.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Pours a near pitch black with a light tan head that fades quite slowly.

Smell: Bitter hops with hints of oats and caramel.

Taste: The bitterness is more prevelant in the taste than in the smell. Roasted flavours and oatmeal are evident as well. Sweeter than most stouts due to the oats in the mash.

Mouthfeel: Nice body, a little thin for my expectations of a stout, though that may be the style since I have not had too much experience with oatmeal stouts.

Drinkability: I couldn't have too many of these because of the intensity of the bitter flavors but its a good "once in a while" brew that would go very well with all sorts of food.

I would recommend, but would also love to try this on-tap to see the difference.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Black. Very black. Not quite like, say, the wine dark sea, but it's a damn dark beer. Head was a beautiful brown and fairly substantial, about 2.5 fingers. It stuck around for a while, and reduced to lace that remained long into the drinking.

S: Very roasty, with a dark chocolate and coffee aroma dominating. Also has hints of some sweetness; caramel maybe?

T: Wow. This is an awesome beer. Full roasty body, with coffee and a bready, oaty, nutty taste. Very smooth and a bit sweet; there is minimal hop character, but not really enough to reduce the malt character. The finish is somewhat dry, with a slightly bitter, dark chocolate taste.

M: FULL. This is a substantial brew, a meal in and of itself. A single sip of this beer feels like eating an entire slice of hearty 12 grain artisan bread. It definitely needs to be enjoyed slowly, to recover from each massive mouthful.

D: Its sweet and smooth character makes this an incredibly drinkable beer; the sheer fullness of its body does limit your ability to drink it. Definitely not doable if you have a very substantial meal as well.

Really, this beer is virtually a side dish. I love it. One of the best oatmeal stouts out there.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a wonderful dark brown color, with a creamy light brown head.

The smell is a very subtle hint of malt. I found the beer's aroma almost non-existent.

A malted, nutty flavor with a delightful smoky aftertaste that lingers on the tongue.

Great mouthfeel, with a good balance of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. One of the better Oatmeal Stouts I've tasted and definitely lived up to the hype I've heard about it.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a English dimpled mug.

Poured a deep dark brown with a thick brown head fading to sheets of lacing. Smells of tobacco, chocolate, roasted coffee.Taste of burnt bitter coffee for a moment, then sweet chocolate/coffee with a mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel smooth with a medium body. Wonderfully easy to drink, the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout was one of the first Stouts I ever drank and along with their Imperial Stout is still one of my favorites.

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a stemmed pilsner glass from a pint bottle.

A - Very dark, almost opaque brown with a hint of red at the bottom of the glass. Produced a thick and foamy tan head that was at least two fingers that slowly dissipated.

S - Coffee at first, some sweetness and just a little bit of alcohol when i cup the glass.

T - Great taste; like coffee and roasted malts. Theres oats and some nuttiness in there as well. Finished with subtle (but appreciated) hoppiness that didn't linger. Tried as I could, I didn't detect any chocolate or dark fruit flavors like others could.

M - Silky and smooth. Medium body with not much dryness dispite hops in the finish. Sort of coats the mouth nicely.

D - Good drinkabilty due to the incredible smoothness. However this seemed like a meal in a glass. I don't think I could drink too many more pints even if I wanted to.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just the right balance of sweetness

My favorite beer. It reminds me of simpler times. It's simple. So simple, it's perfect. I can drink this every day, at any temperature, with any meal. This is the definition of a beer. No bells, no whistles, nothing pretty. This is BEER.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)