Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,183 | Hads: 6,168
3.76/5  rDev -10.5%

Near-black color with a super-thick caramel-colored root beer float-size head. Not much of an aroma but a good strong roasted oatmeal flavor with a creamy chocolate malty base. A bit chewy and creamy at the same time, a surprisingly high level of carbonation. Good mouthfeel with a slight caramel finish. This would go well with a fine cigar. Not the top of the oatmeal stout chain but one of the better ones you might be able to find in your neighborhood. (456 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Re-Review 03/22/05

I thought I'd re-review this beer since my tastes have improved over the last year or so. The appearance is excellent, the color is about one shade less than black and the head is tan and creamy. Plus the head leaves a nice layer of cream once it has dissapated. The aroma isn't very strong, but has a nice subtle sweet smell with a dark chocolate undertone. The taste is very full-flavored. A sip starts with dark chocolate sweetness which rounds to a more general roasted sweetness. Sip concludes with sweet roasted coffee taste. I have definently come to appreciate and love this beer since my initial sample. I still find it a little bit too filling, but it isn't as much of an issue to me this time around.

Original Review 5/16/04

Ah, my first stout, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I think about it. First off, this is some seriously dark beer, its almost pitch black. The aroma is nice, a little sweet, but not overpowering. SInce this is my first stout, I don't have much to compare to, but I do enjoy the taste. This beer starts off really smooth in my mouth and leaves a nice, mildly sweet aftertaste. Overall, I can definently tell that this is a good brew, but I'm still not sure if stout is a style that I really like. I'll probably have to try this again with some food to see what happens. I can definently tell this isn't something I'd want to drink a whole lot of in one sitting. (1,444 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So great, so dark. This beer doesn't speak of evil though. So much flavor, I'm at a loss. A beer to try, you must. You will not be disapointed with the flavor, if you love a black beer. It has so much more character than a stout of any kind, yet lets you feel like you already ate breakfast. This beer is worth the investment. A great cold weather friend. This is an amazing beer. (380 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance - very deep ruby red, practically black. Light brown head like chocolate milk. Thick drapy lacing.

Aroma - smoky coffee, baked biscuits, molasses and brown sugar. It's all there. Fantastic.

Taste - sweet malts, espresso with double sugar, charcoal and some light smokiness. Finishes sweet, toasty, fresh brewed coffee aftertaste. Solid and developed flavor profile in every aspect, superb balance. Probably not as great for those who aren't into sweet beers.

Mouthfeel - thinner than I would have thought, but very smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability - super stuff, low abv, I could drink it again and again and again!!! (651 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Initially jet black; daylight reveals a cola-like deep mahogany. Finger of dense, rocky tan foam. Thick, sticky lacing.

Smell: Smoky, with caramel and burnt sugar malt notes.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts with a blast of sweet malt; morphs into a pleasant bittersweet chocolate cake flavor before finishing dry and bitter with a hint of smoke. Body is surprisingly light and somewhat milky, but the fine carbonation is fairly sharp.

Drinkability: Quite, it's sweet and sort of... comforting, in a way--it's a very "nice" beer.

This is a tasty, harmless stout, but its light body and somewhat mild flavor make me wonder what all the fuss is about. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't make much of a statement, really. (744 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

I picked up a single of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. I’ve noticed this beer is very appreciated on this site so I am looking forward to trying it. I’m worried about the beer being light struck since it’s in a clear bottle, but I’ll just cross my fingers and go.

This beer pours out jet black to the naked eye with an ample creamy head at least three fingers high. When held up to light dark ruby tinges become apparent.

Unfortunately there is a hint of skunk in the aroma but it is not too noticeable. The nose is deep with charred, sweet malts and a sparkle of earthy bitterness about the edges.

This tastes different than any stout I’ve tried so far, but it’s hard to put my finger on it. I think the oats come across as a smooth, cured, nuttiness almost. Lightly charred malts are evident and a taste like coffee with a healthy dosing of sugar. An earthenly bitter, dry aftertaste is left in my mouth, pretty good stuff. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is light but pleasing.

Overall a very solid stout, and one I would definitely enjoy to revisit. (1,091 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I feel like I rated this brew too high, but it is a great brew.

Pours a nice black brew but looks dark brown on the edges, A light tan head.

Earthy tones mellow out the dark roast, also smell a touch of sweetness in the background.

A smooth brew to drink that is for sure, a nice melding of flavors, nothing is fighting to be out in front. The dark roasted malt as I said before is subdued by an oaty, earth taste. Like a medium roast coffee with a touch of sugar to take the edge off.

A good session beer, I could drink this all night, not heavy at all just a little more than medium bodied.

I think this is a good beer to to turn people on to stouts. (667 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Very dark brown body with a thin beige head. Just like the mcneills oatmeal stout, you can grab the oatmeal just by smelling. Deep malt profile full of chocolate, licorice, brown sugar sweetness and something powdery alike flour. There's no mistake on the tongue, this is a sweet stout, with caramelic peaks, tons of oatmeal, some powder sugar perhaps and nevertheless a great balance due to subdued english hops. Silky medium body, highly quaffable, definitely the most obvious definition of the style I've faced. On the other hand, it never comes close to approaching the imperial stout in terms of complexity. (612 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

It poured a small tan head that stayed for about a minute. At first glance it's black as night, but holding it up to the sun it showed a dark ruby through the bottom corner.

A burnt and sour smell came through more than anything.

It tastes more like a porter than a stout to me with the slight sourness coming through, which is good, since I like porters more.:) A little chocolate , coffee, burnt flavor, alcohol and a bit of sour came together to make a nice combonation.

I could drink quite a few of these if I could find them. I think it'd go well with a roast. (574 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: An agressive pour from clear glass bottle to beer-clean Imperial pint glass rsulted in two and 1/2 fingers of light tan foam. As the collar of foam began to reduce, an elegant pattern of lace was left behing. The beer below the foam is midnight black.

Aroma: A very heady and earthy nose...full of promises of deep, rich roasted barley. To say the nose is inviting is like telling someone in the path of a tidal wave 'to expect miosture'.

Taste: OK, I admit it. While I evaluated the aroma, I actually lost control an took a sip. I couldn't help it...and I deeply apologize. How to describe the taste? How about this. "There just aren't enough o's in smoooth to give this fantastic brew its fair due". Malty richness fills the palate as the tongue begins to dance. Simply superb.

Mouthfeel: The finish left behind only one thing...

v

Desire. Must have more.

Drinkability: They seldom come any better than this. If heaven has beer...it's probably a lot like this. (1,001 characters)

Poured a pitch black with small tan head. Aroma was a little bit faint but notes of malt and chocolate were notable. The taste is huge on roasted malts. A smokey chocolate character is present, but this is a pretty well balanced beer. No flavors were too strong or really propelled me to ponder this brew any further. I can see this as a nice session brew. It's a nice staple to have close by at all times and it's available in all types of places. It would be on my must try list. (481 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

I am not particularly a stout fan- I enjoy stouts much as I enjoy lots of other styles. But wow- this one is something. Pours a chocolate-brown to black that is unlike any other color I have seen in a stout- with a medium tan-off-white head that is beautiful to behold. My first 5.0 for appearance.

Aroma was not strong (I had the wrong kind of glass), but it was chocolatly (bitter European dark chocolate, not wimpy American milk chocolate) and my friend correctly noted "smoky". In fact, smoky look, smoky aroma, smokey flavor. Wonderful. Other flavors included almost a meaty quality, although there was some sweetness and chocolate. Mouthfeel was moderately creamy, with a very nice body, and drinkability was right on. An excellent brew! (746 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Nice black,black beer with a great chocolatey tan head that lingers with some nice lacing all the way down the glass.Wonderful aroma of chocolate,brown sugar and a hint of coconut?DAMN!!!What a flavor-nice roasted notes but not astringent.Nutty,chocolate and a hint of caramel.Silky smooth-slides right across the palate and down.An amazingly quaffable beer-one you could enjoy even in the heat of summer.Quite a brew. (418 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

This is an amazing beer. Perhaps the best i have ever tasted. It is black with a strong aroma of roasted malts. It pours with a fine head that lingers along the galss long after it has gone down. The taste is remarkable. Initially, it is a strong roasted malt flavor. Later there is a slight cream flavor as well as earthy flavor. There is a pleasant lingering aftertaste of roasted malts and coffee. Very feint earthy taste. There was no freshness date, it came in a pint size bottle and then was poured into a glass.

I highly recommend this beer to anyone, especially those that enjoy dark beers. guinness is crushed by this beer, and while i still enjoy guinness, i will quickly grab the samuel smith oatmeal stout anytime. (730 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Alright, this is an excellent stout. An impossible dark impenetrable brown in color. The head is a slow evaporating with tight, bown bubbles. A stubborn lace clings to the glass.

The beer has what I would describe as an aged chocolate taste. The malt flavor is not so much thick as it is bold. The aftertaste makes me think of walking around old basement. It's a nice taste because it reminds me of working on the farm as a kid.

I'm not usually fond of stouts, but I definitely would make an exception for another one of these. (533 characters)

Fresh sample with the recently added bottled-on date.

Surprisingly horse-mane black coloring for such a smaller ABV beer. Giant liquid-cookie head that bubbles up, comes back to earth and really lingers.

Nothing but sweetness on the nose. I can only slightly tune into the roasted malts. No hop presence at all, but none expected. A few shards of oats, or maybe i'm persuaded by the bottle color.

Could this be one of the sweetest beers ever? Not a stout to my tastebuds, closer to Young's Double Chocolate than their interpretation.

Thick mouthfeel but tongue cannot ignore the cloying sweetness.

Good starter beer for macro-freaks, but otherwise avoidable except for dessert settings. Might make a good beer ice-cream dessert. (744 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%

When I was a young associate attorney at a big downtown law firm, I loved Starbuck's coffee. When you are expected to bill 2500 hours a year, a good caffeine jolt in the early morning is great. I realize now that I am older (and hopefully wiser), that my Starbuck's obsession was not so much because of the great flavor of the coffee, but that the buzz from said coffee was so intense that it made it seem better than it actually was. Add to that the fact that those coffees were 6 bucks a pop, and it really puts into perspective what a bunch of hype and elevated expectations can do for a drink. So goes the SS Oatmeal Stout. The head on this beer is nominal. The taste is OK, the smell is phenomenal. Overall, this beer is good, but not great. It will give you a good buzz, and tastes delicious. The aroma is fantastic, and the color is darker than Darth Vader. I still think that it's high listing is a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. There is no way this beer is better than Chimay. (989 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours out like a black coca cola. A foamy cream brown head, some lacing. Soft aroma of molasses and roasted malt, slightly sharp, like black coffee. This is a thin stout, much thinner than Guiness. It has a mildly carbonated mouthfeel, some sweetness and a mixture of (as they kindly explain to you on the label) (baker's) chocolate and cherries. Oats are present, as is an acidity, and undertones of molasses and coffee. After taste is earthy, mildly Guiness-like and softly sweet. (482 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a bomber sized bottle at the local grocery store for $2.79. This black beer poured a fine head that left a nice lacing down my 22 oz glass. Very sweet smelling for a stout. This is an extremely smooth stout, very interesting and complex. The oatmeal must make it smooth. The mothfeel wasn't as thick as advertised. This was a very enjoyable brew, one I have had on and off over the years. (398 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

This brew came in a 550ml clear bottle. No freshness dating seen.

The brew ported to a jet-black color and would not let any light through. Has a excellent fluffy tan head that stayed around for a long time and broke down to chunky lacing through out the entire brew.

The aromas coming from this brew are dark maybe smoked malts, bit of coffee wrapped around a sweet smell of molasses. A very nice smell to this beer.

The beer makes a statement with the roasted malt, as it is the dominant flavor to this brew. Can notice flavors of coffee and chocolate as well with a bit of a hop. Over all a real nice tasting brew.

This is a beer that eats like a meal; wow this is a filling brew. Over all for me it is a classic and another fantastic offering from Samuel Smiths. This brew is what I use to judge all other oatmeal stouts by. Simply fantastic! (859 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

The pour into my Samuel Smith imperial pint glass reveals this beer to be dark dark black, with a nice thick dark head. It smells sweet, with hints of caramel/butterscotch, but without being too overbearing. The sweet flavor is yummy. It's not syrupy, but there is a roasted taste with caramel notes and a definite dry roasted aftertaste with the lingering sweetness following at the very end. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but still good. Carbonation does not get in the way, but complements the roasted finish. This one goes down well, I could drink it all night. (560 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

$2.50 for a bottle.

I was excited about trying this too, but ended up being disappointed. The smell was strong of vinegar and slight fruit (cherries) behind it. Taste was good, very complex for a stout, but too influence by the smell. Maybe another bad bottle for me, I don't know. There are better stouts out there, at better prices. (337 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

appearance is like black coffee.
smell is somewhat sweet with a hint of coffee.chocolate notes.
taste is rather smoothe but definitely had a taste of alchohol on the finish, again coffee is the taste I sense most.well balanced hops and malt,a very good tasting beer.
mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and a little chewy,also creamy.
drinkability:I really enjoy this beer,I would describe it as a nice sipping beer,great on a cold night! also this is probably the best stout I have tried. I like it much more than Guiness. if you like stouts I would recommend trying this one. (580 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours pitch black, but not as thick as some of its counterparts. A nice, beefy dark tan head, with noticeable carbonation. Smells almost chocolately. Tastes delicious with a chocolate, but not too dark taste. This beer goes down so smooth. I could drink maybe 2 or 3 of these, but they are quite filling so I would prefer to savour each one. A fantastic beer! Glad I got the opportunity to try it. (397 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Large clear bottle, pours black with a manly dark tan head, ecxellent head retention and nice foamy lacing. Sweet roasted malt in the nose. Smooth malt, toasted malt and burnt malt. Chocolate, cafe au lait and cocoa notes. Some chalky hops in the finish. Smooth, silky, coating mouthfeel. This one is wonderful to savor and enjoy. I enjoyed some spicy BBQ chicken and a piece or two of chocolate with this one. A fine brew, go out and get some. (444 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)