Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,189 | Hads: 6,212
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours dark black with very little head and that distinctive oatmeal smell. Upon tasting, that oatmeal is the first thing that I noticed. The beer is quite sweet and malty, and I noticed a burnt peanut-ty taste. Yes, it's a dark stout, but it was very easy to drink. I had this with my dessert, and it was a fantastic finish to my meal. I suspect it works well with most sweet foods. Overall, an excellent beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is dark brown, with an excellent beige head. The smell is of oatmeal. The taste is very rich; with roasted malt and a dry oatmeal taste. Mouthfeel was very smooth. Drinkability-wise, would have many of these.

Simply the best oatmeal stout out there. So rich and delicious that I could drink this one all night.

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

550ml bottle
This beer poured a dark black body with a creamy offwhite/tan head.

The nose was very inviting. dark malts, a sugary sweet smell, almost has some slight hints of smoke, some nice soft fruit smells, fresh pears and even some apples. What an odd smell for a stout, but so perfectly balanced with the slight roasty smokey smell.

The taste was just as impressive. Medium bodied. Some light smoke, light roasted malt charector. Some soft chocolate. Brown sugar. A slightly oaky woody quality. A touch of earth. A very nice earthy hop, pear and apple peel taste. It starts very smooth and ends with this nice little bitter earthy punch, with just some soft hints of smoke.

It seems to linger for a little while with a nice earth bitterness.

Overall it's just such an amazing beer. Like a backwoods country stout. Earth, fruit, smoke and soft dark sugary malts. No wonder it's so popular among phishheads. A great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

I think the best of the oatmeal stouts out there,pours a deep brown with a nice tan colored head that sticks very well.The aroma is very much like brown sugar and and roasted malt.The taste also has a brown sugar taste but a little more subdued with a nice roasted coffee taste ending nice and soft.Drinking this beer is a beer lovers experience.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A very tasty beer. Bought a bottle at Huckleberry's. Poured a deep, dark brown with a big tan head that hung around for a while. Smelled of caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Taste was a velvety smooth dollup of mildly toasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, finishing with a slight hoppyness accompanied by a mildly raisiny taste. Mouthfeel is not as creamy as, say, a Guinness, but still nice. This beer is initially easy to drink, but one winds up slowing down because its very filling, otherwise I'd give higher marks for drinkability. I'm currently re-thinking my plan to go out and scare up a dinner (its too hot to cook right now in Spokane).

4.45/5  rDev +6%

This was my first oatmeal stout. I am always weary of the clear bottles from Samuel Smith. This poured a dark dark dark dark brown with a nice tan head. The aroma was nice and full. The taste was the same. Between Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and their Imperial Stout you can have breakfast and dinner. Oatmeal for breaksfast and Imperial for dinner.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A beautiful brew from Sam Smith. Surprise, surprise, this guy is black, very black, in the glass! A nice looking, but slight tan head caps it off. Smell is of slight, roasty coffee/espresso, but is not overwhelming. Taste is pretty much the same as it smells, with possible hints of chocolate added to the mix. As with the smell, not too strong. The mouthfeel of this one is delightful! Very smooth, milky, and creamy on the palate. Only reason its not a 5 in my book, is that it could be just slightly thicker. The drinkability on this one is among the very best of stouts in my opinion. I could easily drink these all day!!

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

pours out a dark brown/black with a nice biscuit sized brown sticky head. aromas of malt, roasted coffee and caramel/soemthing sweet come through. the taste is a little sweet with a nice malt flavour, hints of coffee come through with some caramel/buttery toffee and something i cant quit place. the mouthfeel is nice, smooth and not too thickm just right with the pefect carbonation. drinkability is high because its just so damn smooth and enjoyable. the slightly sweet flavor is something i love and the somewhat normal/low ABV keeps you from stumbling around after a few. when your in the right mood (morning, desert, night cap), this is an amazing beer.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

I sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes, knowing that I am going quite a bit against the grain with my opinion on this beer.
I didn't detect much aroma in this beer. it has a fairly benign taste. Not bad, but nothing special. I'll have to rerate this one at some point

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this at my local wine/beer shop.
Drank in honor of my 32 birthday.
Came in a pint bottle with gold foil around the neck. Poured Dark
brown/black with a thick tan head. Left a nice tan ring around the
inside of the glass.

I thourghly enjoyed this stout. It's taste is smooth and it definently has a carmel/ dark coffee taste to it. Left a lingering sweet/smokey
taste after the stout went down.
I'd recommend this stout to anyone that is tired of Guinness. A bit pricy but hell its damn well worth it.

I just wish it came in a 4 pack or , hell, even a 6 pack.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer poured a tan head with small-medium sized bubbles. The hue of this beer was brown and there was fair lacing on the sides of my glass. The nose was hoppy with this beer and it had a smooth mouthfeel which is much to my liking.A good Stout in my opinion.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

The first time I had this it tasted horrible and I was wondering what was going on. I realized I had a skunky stout and decided to give it another go. This time it was like I had hoped it would be. Awesome. Lots of flavor. Not as much oatmeal flavor as I had expected but that was ok. Very roasted in nose and on the tongue. Roasted barley hits me first with malt and caramel sweetness. It proceeds to be very roasted but also creamier in the middle. Earthy tones and burnt hops are there to mellow the sweetness a bit. Finishes short and sweet. I want more.

edit: I have had this one a few times recently and it has definitely become one of my favorites. Also, the oatmeal taste is more prevalent now. I upped my ratings to correspond with how I feel about this stout now.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Beautifiul frothy thin tan head that leaves lace on my glass sitting atop a completely black beer. Aroma is of creamy oats with a slight noble hop accent. Flavor is of carmel malt and roast barley with a thick oatmeal finish highlighted by a slight noble hop balance. The body is heavy yet this beer finishes with a malty sweetness. Very nice stout that is not sour like guinness but rather it is creamy, flavorful, and sweet.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours black, with a frothy tan head that laces nicely. Burnt malt and oat and a little chocolate make up the pleasing aroma. Taste starts dominated by a great roasted malt taste, nice bitter chocolate and coffee notes, buttery oats and a good sweetness that’s very balanced with bitter hops, finishes dry but smooth. Body is medium and smooth. As it warms up a bit more it takes on a little more alcohol in the taste.

Overall a really enjoyable experience, one of my favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this one a few days ago, wrote it down in my notebook, but forgot to enter it! Anyhow, here goes...

It poured a deep ruby black, with a creamy dense head that hung around for a bit, leaving some lace on the glass.

The aroma was sweet malt, buttery grains, and chocolate. Very appetizing.

The flavour was rich and roasted. Lots of malty sweetness, some burned bitterness, a good bit of apple fruitiness, and some caramel and buttery undertones. An oatmeal flavour was in there as well. Overall it was quite interesting and complex. There was an odd metallic twang in there that I can't quite figure out. It was a satisfying stout, without a doubt.

The mouth feel was smooth, but I didn't quite find as much of the oaty slickness that I would expect from an oatmeal stout.

To summarize: this maybe isn't my absolute favourite stout, but in all the stouts I've had, this one strikes the balance between amazing quality and popular drinkability. That is, I think most of my friends would be a little overwhelmed by, say, Shakespeare Stout, but they'd really appreciate this one.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

And here is the always yummy Sammy Smith's Oatmeal. This is the first stout other than Guinness that I ever tried. It's the first beer that got me into drinking better beer. I owe this beer a lot. It's the best beer to come out of a clear bottle, that's for sure. Nowadays, I'd have to say I prefer the Imperial Stout offering by Sammy Smith's. But this is one stout I will always fall back upon and enjoy thoroughly. It's damn near opaque with a well-retaining tan head. The aroma is mostly burnt chocolate malt, faint coffee, sweetness, and hops. Same goes with the flavor as far as I'm concerned. It has a buttery, if slightly thin but still thick enough for a stout mouthfeel. And it's creamy....drinkable as all hell. I only prefer the Imperial because I'm on a robust kick. But this stout is truly amazing and has never let me down. The clear bottle has always scared me, but it's always fresh when I buy it.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

This brew has a mild hoppy malt aroma. Invigorated pour with a light brown head of small to medium bubbles and a opaque dark brown body with a receding lacing on the side of the glass. It has a surprisingly smooth flavor with very subtle taste. Hard to place the flavor, but it went down very easily and was very much to my liking.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. Note the beer was initially way to cold. It was still good, but it because great the closer to the optimal serving temperature, which IMHO is just slightly, slighty chilled or between 60-70 degrees F.

Poured a deep, dark brown almost black with a slight reddish tinge to it. The head was frothing and creamed coffee in color. Good lacing through out the sample.

Aromas of roasted malt, oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee with hints of earth and peat.

Taste is wonderful, full bodied roasted sweet malt flavor dominates the palette. The texture is creamy and silky smooth with hints of earth and peat that give way to a dry coffee bitterness that finishes with just the slightest hint of hops for balance. There are also undertones of toffee, caramel, and chocolate throughout the flavor profile that hit hear and there as this incredibly smooth and easy drinking stout go down way to quickly. I tried to slow down and savor the flavors, but this stout just glides across the tongue, through the mouth, and down the throat.

Truly a wonderful brew and a well crafted stout. Two Pints Up!

3.82/5  rDev -9%

As others have said, Whats with the clear glass bottle. Poured a dark chocolate brown, with a chocolate head that slowly receded leaving a fair amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is of roasted malt, a hint of chocolate, and coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, however the taste didn't live up to the aroma. Sweet from the malt with some coffee but little else. Not bad, but not the best Oatmeal stout I've had. Overall it was still enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the clear bottle pours forth a black beer with a light tan to light brown head, which is composed of many tiny bubbles and diminishes somewhat quickly. The aroma is of roasted malt. Not particularly strong, but inviting. The taste is wonderful and full of many flavors including chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. A taste similar to sherry also comes through especially in the dry finish. Very smooth and very enjoyable. Highly drinkable despite being a medium to heavy bodied beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

The beer pours black witha full tan head that is well retained. The aroma is of dark malts. There is something in it that I just can't put my finger on; maybe it's the yeast or an aromatic specialty grain. The taste is excellant. A good stout with that oatmeal flavor. Chocolate malts overpower me in a good way. It is such a balanced ale. A real pleasure to drink. The mouthfeel is med/heavy body, but a real drinkable beer. A low abv. (5%) means that many can be had without getting too loose. Another great brew from this respected brewery.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Ok, Now i'm finished with beer in clear glass. This one was slightly skunked as well. I'll never make another attempt at this. Looks nice, dark with foamy head. Aroma is sadly tainted. Same with flavor, although not as bad as the nutbrown I had earler. Good mouthfeel and probably a good hopped stout. Maybe I'll plan a trip to England and try this one. On draught.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

The only other time I drank this beer, I had it in comparison with Sammy's Imperial. It is not as malty or subtantial (and isn't supposed to be). I tried it again tonight, and although it still comes across as somewhat mild for a stout, it has a nice, well balanced taste. Terrific appearance in the glass, with a large foamy head. I still prefer the imperial, but this is a very smooth, enjoyable beer.

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

It has been several years since I first tried this stout. It's expense put me off, and I am generally not much of a stout person. I pick up a bottle recently and just sat down to enjoy it. I should have let it set on the counter for a while to warm up, but I generally drink my beer slowly and now, an hour after I retrieved it from the fridge, it is a good temperature.

The head doesn't last as long as good stout's head should, but perhaps this is due to the fact that it is bottled. The smell seems to allude to a complexity that is not present in the taste. When bringing the glass to your mouth smell chocolate, caramel and coffee beans, but the taste delivers only the chocolate. It is overly sweet for my taste, and, dare I say it, it is too smooth.

As stated earlier, I am not much of a stout drinker, so I would humbly categorize this as a beginner's stout. And, as a beginning stout drinker, I am looking to move to something a little deeper and with more character.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A very nice dark stout, that when held to light I only imagine that there's a little reddish-brown color around the outsides of the glass. I light tan head that stuck around for a while and left a nice sticky lace down the sides. The flavor is sweet and malty with a hint of bitter-chocolate. Nice and creamy with a very clean finish and with only 5% abv this is one that I can drink all night. The only reason that I left room for improvement in my score is that it's not GLBC Ohio City.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)