Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,994 | Reviews: 2,205

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow..

The best oatmeal stout I have personally tasted. I got high regards from people who drank this and from this site.

Poured from the bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

Very dark, almost black, could not see house lighting thru it but when I went outside the dark chestnut color came thru and you could see the bubbles dancing around. Almost like a super dark red at the bottom and got darker towards the head...

Nice 1 finger super thick brown cream colored head. A little lumpy in the beginning but the head stayed thruout me drinking the beer but wittled down to an 8th of an inch. Lumpyness in the head was not a problem for me, it actually attracted me to the beer..

Now, im not the best smeller.... lol... I don't have the best taste and sense... but I can pick out certain things in beers.... usually I'll pick up on 2-4 of the strongest scent/taste of the beer...

Smell was minimal at start a dot of chocolate and oats but I really had to try. As I sat outside...it's 90°.. it warmed a Tad... I could smell chocolate, oats, the mild hops and a great malt smell.

The taste was just fucking perfect.... I'm sorry, but I have to let you know that even tho at first the smell wasn't wazooo.... after tasting it I just stopped what I was doing and marvelled in it. For me it tasted way better cold.... when it warmed up just a little I could taste alot more hops and the bare bones of the beer.... still was excellent a little warmer than frig temperature but I'd say drink it cold cold... lots of chocolate and oats with a nice malt taste to it... chocolate lingers in aftertaste..

Smooth as silk... excellent mouthfeel, nicely balanced, not too heavy or light.... more towards the heavy.

Overall this is the best oatmeal stout I have personally had. It is one of the bbeers that I would recommend to people who like dark malty beers. It's the beer I tell people to drink...
Bottom line... it's pretty available to the masses so if you haven't tried it than shame on you

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)