Join our email list →

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Oatmeal Stout | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,218 | Hads: 6,360
3.94/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 550ml clear bottle. No freshness date.

Opaque brown. Sticky rosy tan head with excellent retention. Subtle earthy and sweet aroma with hints of roasted malt. Taste walks a fine line between strong earthy malt and milky sweetness. A touch of hops makes it's presence known toward the finish although it quickly yields to a burnt coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth.

It's been a while since I've had one, and I had forgotten how wonderful this beer is. The usual complaints about the clear bottles not withstanding, Samuel Smith has always been one of my favorites. While not my favorite from them, this one is still a top notch brew. As has been mentioned before, this is great intro stout for those looking to delve into the style.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle. Quite a surprise to find the bottle clear, but the top is foil wrapped and the pour is a very dark brown. Thick beige head eventually calms down to reveal a bit of the cherry color on the outside rim that was noted by some other reviewers. Don't know where that cherry hue comes from, but it makes for an exceptional appearance. Dark malts and chocolate dominate the nose, but there are hints of fresh baked bread and cooked oatmeal. Smooth, full bodied and filling in the mouth. Taste is of a well balanced stout that ehoes the nose. Very tasty. I took my time with this one because it's just too good to finish(it's my only one). One of the best that I've reviewed. My only complaint is a somewhat unpleasant syrupy aftertaste, but I guess that goes with the territory. Can't wait to get some more of these. I like oatmeal, stouts, and English brews, so a quality oatmeal stout like this is very seductive to my senses and perspective, as well as my sense of perspective.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: black pour with a generous tan head that slims donw after a few moments.

Smell: plenty of roasted malt and enormous hints of cocoa. i little chocolatey as well. a very apetizing nose.

Taste: again, a nice roatsed flavour of oates and malt. hints of cocoa and chovolate give the beer nice body without being heavy. a very nicely, lingering finish that leaves a chalky-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth with still a hint of liveliness. leans toward a dry and fullfilling finish.

Drinkability: world class. one of the best oatmeal stout sin the world, hands down.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This review earns my mug for 100 karma points, so I had to pick a top 50 beer I hadn’t reviewed yet. A quick review of my stock showed I hadn’t reviewed one of my favorites, so here we go. Note: stored this beer on its side in a drawer in my beer fridge (space issue, not a conscious choice). Held the beer for a good 6 months that way, and noted when I opened it, it tried to gush. Tried to: head formed up to just above the lip, but held steady there. Clear bottle (ick) 550 ml bomber with foil cap, no date.
Aroma: Roasted malt with a hint of hop. A has that classic stout nose, much like Guinness. Bread like notes are prominent.
Appearance: Black, with strong back light showing, well… the slightest clear black. Hefty tan head of 3 fingers when poured settled down to a brown coat with a variety of large and small bubbles. Nice thick lace graced my mug, and the head lasted throughout my beer.
Flavor: The deep roasted malt and oats give a rich earthy goodness to the overall flavor, and I tasted the hops deep in there keeping the brew well balanced. The profile seems to go: sweet rich malt, gentle twang of hops, odd metallic low point, concluding with a smooth long semi-sweet chocolate finish.
Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy with lots of chew. No carbonation noted and a slight numbing tingle experienced in the aftertaste. Very smooth stuff. The oats give a nice coating to your whole mouth that slowly fades into the sunset.
Overall Impression: Hard to figure how such a heavy, rich tasting beer comes off as light and refreshing. This is an excellent beer all around, and a personal favorite, but that odd metallic bottoming out spot is a bit distracting. It may be due to my unorthodox storage, or I may have let this one go a bit longer than I should have. Beautiful balance, wonderful quality, chug-ability, just about everything you could want in a beer. Scratches every beer itch I have. Strongly recommended.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout scared me very much!

As a beer drinker I have not yet moved up to the darker stout beers. I still think Guiness is mud! With that I said hell lets give this Oatmeal Stout a try.

At Petersons liquor store on rte. 70/Brielle Bridge I purchased the 550 ml bottle ($3.75)

This beer poured a very dark reddish brown with a fluffy dark tan head.
The smell was of burnt coffee- that worried me!
The first sip proved that it was velvety smooth and soft.
The taste was actually very good! It was a light coffee/chocolate flavor that wasn't bitter or harsh yet smooth and enjoyable.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a very good sipping beer that would go nice with a meal. Enjoy slowly.

Not a chugging or partying beer!

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I bought a 550ml bottle for $2.99. It poured a very dark brown, much like the imperial stout. Much sweeter taste. Less fruiter than the imperial which tasted like raisins. This is sweet yet subtle in the oatmeal flavor. A very dark malt is present in this one. I drink it alot at Phish concerts, and it is a favortie choice at home. I do like the imperiral stout more, however.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

This stout has a sharp, "bite" to it, with the mild stouty oat flavor. Delicious to drink for sampling and for those Friday nights. It's flavor is different than other oatmeals and is more highly recommended for those wanting to try an oatmeal. It captures the essence of oatmeals without the taste disappearing due to nitrous cans.

4.66/5  rDev +11%

Pours a wonderful tan head and is black as a moonless, starless night. I just had to dip my pointer finger into the foam, as if it were whipped cream. The appearance is that tempting. Super-tight carbonation and the lacing is well-provided.

This oatmeal stout is remarkably smooth, undeniably accessible, and a true gem in the beer world. The taste has a true award-winning style. Smells of black licorice, leather, earth, and freshly ground coffee beans. Full malt flavors, even a mild taste of what I would call an "Irish Cream" flavor. Rich, buttery smoothness...and the finish is as mild and friendly as a tall, cold glass of milk after woofing down some homemade chocolate chip cookies. There is a nuance of a "chew" in the finish and an tiny note of spice in the end. (I think I am tasting something nutmeg-like.) Vinous feel from this offering, perhaps a California Zinfandel? A comparison to ponder and test out.

I like this as my dessert. I don't need much else.

I could consider this a "comfort beer". I'm going to miss it when it is gone.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This one certainly deserves its place on the Top50 list.

A: Dark brown, attractive color, a meedium off white head is slow to fade but leaves littel lace down the glass

S: Fruity smell with a deep overtone that defies recognition (at least I couldn't identify it). Very nice

T: Wow! Sweet caramel and raisins with a complex, well crafted malt profile. Each mouthful highlights just a little different taste in the beer. Sure keeps you interested.

M: Smooth and creamy, it lingers just long enough without interfering with anything else.

D: Very drinkable, I hnestly expected a bitter taste, but not at all.

Highly recommended, this is a GREAT beer.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a very dark black/red with just a hint of light coming through. Alcohol is the first thing I smell followed by some cherry and fig.

The taste is quite earthy and smokey. I definitely get some dark fruit in there as well. Plum maybe? Very smooth and solid mouthfeel, with an almost too dry finish for an oatmeal stout.

Very complex and tasty, but I think it's a little overhyped.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

What can I say about this one that hasn't already been said. I will add a few things that stand out in my mind. Increadible silky mouthfeel. I find it to have a smoked or chared malt flavor to it as venom stated but also some really peaty undertones like a Scotish ale. Also did notice a red wine finish in its dryness. Awesome any way you slice it.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Ah, this puts most other Oatmeal Stouts to shame. Smooth, silky, lots of coffee and chocolate flavors coming through with a light hop touch to keep you looking for another. I enjoyed this with some steamers on a recent night out. In fact, I enjoyed two. Nothing over the top about this beer, just plain fantastic.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: 18.7oz. translucent bottle; no "best before" or "bottled on" date; purchased for $2.49 from Trader Joe's.

Appearance: Completely opaque; smallish, cocoa-brown head; a nice c-cup's worth of lacing; head hangs around for about a minute.

Aroma: Nicely of chocolate and plums with just a hint of cherry.

Taste: Decidedly like its nose; large notes of bittersweet chocolate, plums and cherry wrestle each other like a pack of greasy monkeys; decently sweet with a mild, roasty bitterness; subtly earthen; mild, acidic twang; full bodied with a smooth, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Six thumbs up.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

the last time i tried Samuel Smith, it was Imperial Stout. I didn't get the carbonation that i was longing for. i was worried about this beer having the same quality. thankfully, i was wrong! this beer has an exellent tan head that lasts a good time.

it tastes as good as it looks. (typical quality stout flavors and smells abound)

the thing that really got me about this beer was it's aftertaste that lingers and transforms from one great thing into another. maybe more experienced beer lovers get that from alot of differant beers, but for me it was the first time. another thing a like about this beer is it's drinkablity, tons of flavor, but light in the mouth and in the stomach. i'm used to drinking Guiness Extra Stout for my stout fix. this beer is a welcomed change.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I have to fall in line with just about everyone else on this one.The tempting darkness of the brew is gothicly beautiful, as is the teasing carmel oatmeal aroma.Sweet carmelly aste floats right with you for the entire glass.Bitterness never showed its face. I thought the mouthfeel was just a little to high charged, but that just made it a thirst quencher, instead of just a sipping beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Near-opaque deep ruby. Small, creamy head that laced in spots and streaks.

Smell: Roasted nut and oatmeal. Ripe fruits and a slight vinous character.

Taste: Smooth and sweet at first, turning creamy in the middle. Slight dark fruit flavor. Definite creamy chocolate, with a roasty, toasty backdrop like no other I've had. Loamy earthiness throughout.

Notes: Exceptional stout, and one of my new favorite beers. Find it, drink it, and sing its praises. It's that good, and should appeal to almost every type of beer drinker.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 550 ML bottle, there was a small layer of fine head that disappeared fairly quickly. Hold it up to the light and you wouln't see much through it.

Love that outmeal stout smell, sweat kind of oatmeally caramel scent. Haven't found an outmeal stout I didn't like, but this is still one of my favorites. The taste is just short of rich, sweet at first, and then the oats roll in and smooth it all out. I can feel those tiny little bubbles of carbonation roll along my tongue with each sip.

If you haven't tried this one yet, you should already be on your way to the store.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer pours a nearly opaque black, just a touch of reddish light shining through on the bottom. A thick beige head tops the liquid, leaving some sticky cobwebby lace as your drink the beer down.
The aroma is very roasty, with a solid hearty oatmeal presence. Plenty of chocolatey aroma, with a Fruity Pebbles like esteriness. Light caramel and some mocha, with a trace of goldings hopping.
Flavor is creamy and sweet, with a big oatmeal flavor all the way through. Chocolate malt right up front, providing a bittersweet baker's chocolate flavor, melding into mocha coffee towards the middle. Some light plum and cherry fruitiness comes through in the middle, with a vague fruity pebbles feel to the esters. Mild hopping provides some dryness in the finish, although the bitterness mostly comes from the roasted barley. A rich, luxurious oatmeal flavor in the finish, continuing into the aftertaste, where it blends with some sweet mocha, lingering for a while. Smooth british carbonation, with a medium to full body.
Probably one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever tried. Perfect balance, excellent flavor. Absolutely world class.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

This oatmeal stout poured thick Into the glass thick and heavy. when the glass settled I could see the thick black smoke like body and the supper chunky tan head. the head kind of slithered down the glass as i drank, It was almost a meal in itself. the almost spice aroma jumped up and bit me. the first sip was almost heavy it was thick and full of flavor, rich malty with just a hit of bitter balanced out well. The finish was almost dry. a little to heavy to drink all night, butt good all-around!!

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

Black color. Very thick full cascading type head. Aroma is roasted malts and chocolates. A nice silky smooth. Medium bodied sweet stout. Mild malts and hops. A very flavorful beer. Nice chocolate and coffee flavor. Well balanced. Just wish it were in a brown bottle. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and a touch dry. What a sweet/Oatmeal stout should be

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz. bottle, served slightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: So dark a brown that it's almost black. Think of the color of very very very very high-quality baker's chocolate. Smallish head of light brown bubbles. No retention or lacing. I may have served this a bit too cold.

Smell: Pruny, with lotsa roasted and dark chocolate malts in the background. Kinda smoky. Faint whiffs of sprucy hops.

Taste: Strong bittersweet chocolate taste that morphs into somme nice smoky malt goodness. Just a hint of bitter hops. These flavors meld much better when the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Hearty, oh so hearty. A very zaftig mouthfeel with a great lingering smoky aftertaste.

Drinkability: It's a meal in a bottle, to be sure, so it's not one you'll be having too much in one sitting, but you'll definitely want to have more of this. And make sure you don't serve it too cold, dagnabbit!

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

I wanted pick something special for my #100 beer up for review. Boy, did I pick the right beer! This poured a beautiful obsidian black no light could penetrate. I even held it up to direct light - nothing. A large creamy mocha colored head formed and slowly melted down to a thin cap with some nice lace.
I could smell this brew from a foot away! A variety of aromas came at me: burnt grains, bitter old espresso grounds, dark fruit notes, and a faint whiff of alcohol, surprising considering this beer's %ABV is only 5.0%
Tasting only confirmed what my nose was telling me: this is a wonderful, well-balanced beer. A great combination of dark, burnt malts, smooth espresso, sweet prune-like edges and carmelized brown sugar, and just a bit of bittersweet baker's chocolate. It finished with a slight alcohol tang.
Feel was full-bodied, thick yet smooth, and dry.
This is one of the most delicious beers I'd had. All the elements are here for a truly great beer. Expertly crafted and so very easy to drink. A great way to finish the day.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Textbook pour with a full two fingered tan head to complement the deep ruby almost black color of this magnifcant beer full even rings of lacing nice. Aroma: Deep chocolate tone with a biscuity edge to it and fruit ridden coffee tones what a complex oat filled aroma awesome beer here folks. Taste: Creamy milk tones with fruit and robust coffee and chocolate textures a mild taste of alcohol presence running through it just so easily balanced this beer is tops in the style. Mouthfeel is fluffy the body has increased texture due to the oatmeal this is perfected. Drinkability: Smooth creamy easliy imbibed a must try that not matter the price tag next time I'm in the mood for a Oatmeal Stout this is my choice.

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Sampled on 9/5/03.

Appearance: Black, Dense, Opaque, you get the idea. The solid dark brown head hangs around for a while and eventually becomes a slight tan ring at the edge of the glass.

Smell: Glorious! Chocolate, caramelized malt, nuts, raisin, and of course oats.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate, plum, roasted malt, barley. The finish goes on and on.

Mouthfeel: Big. Oily and smooth, coats the palate and wont let go.

Drinkability: MORE PLEASE!

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From a 550ml bottle.

Appears black in the glass save light brown around the edges. Not much head, brown and it does leave lace as the beer recedes.

Smell is hard to place bitter and acidic. Could this be the oatmeal? Light sweet nutty smell as well.

Taste is creamy and smooth juxtaposed bitter flavors. Brew is malty with a burnt-nut taste. Doesn't bite like alot of stouts. This brew is smooth but still complex. I would call it medium bodies despite the bold appearance. Very drinkable.

One of the better stouts I have tasted. Wish there was more than one other oatmeal stout in Maine to compare it with.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)