Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,113 | Reviews: 2,229
4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Black color. Very thick full cascading type head. Aroma is roasted malts and chocolates. A nice silky smooth. Medium bodied sweet stout. Mild malts and hops. A very flavorful beer. Nice chocolate and coffee flavor. Well balanced. Just wish it were in a brown bottle. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and a touch dry. What a sweet/Oatmeal stout should be

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle, served slightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: So dark a brown that it's almost black. Think of the color of very very very very high-quality baker's chocolate. Smallish head of light brown bubbles. No retention or lacing. I may have served this a bit too cold.

Smell: Pruny, with lotsa roasted and dark chocolate malts in the background. Kinda smoky. Faint whiffs of sprucy hops.

Taste: Strong bittersweet chocolate taste that morphs into somme nice smoky malt goodness. Just a hint of bitter hops. These flavors meld much better when the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Hearty, oh so hearty. A very zaftig mouthfeel with a great lingering smoky aftertaste.

Drinkability: It's a meal in a bottle, to be sure, so it's not one you'll be having too much in one sitting, but you'll definitely want to have more of this. And make sure you don't serve it too cold, dagnabbit!

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

I wanted pick something special for my #100 beer up for review. Boy, did I pick the right beer! This poured a beautiful obsidian black no light could penetrate. I even held it up to direct light - nothing. A large creamy mocha colored head formed and slowly melted down to a thin cap with some nice lace.
I could smell this brew from a foot away! A variety of aromas came at me: burnt grains, bitter old espresso grounds, dark fruit notes, and a faint whiff of alcohol, surprising considering this beer's %ABV is only 5.0%
Tasting only confirmed what my nose was telling me: this is a wonderful, well-balanced beer. A great combination of dark, burnt malts, smooth espresso, sweet prune-like edges and carmelized brown sugar, and just a bit of bittersweet baker's chocolate. It finished with a slight alcohol tang.
Feel was full-bodied, thick yet smooth, and dry.
This is one of the most delicious beers I'd had. All the elements are here for a truly great beer. Expertly crafted and so very easy to drink. A great way to finish the day.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Textbook pour with a full two fingered tan head to complement the deep ruby almost black color of this magnifcant beer full even rings of lacing nice. Aroma: Deep chocolate tone with a biscuity edge to it and fruit ridden coffee tones what a complex oat filled aroma awesome beer here folks. Taste: Creamy milk tones with fruit and robust coffee and chocolate textures a mild taste of alcohol presence running through it just so easily balanced this beer is tops in the style. Mouthfeel is fluffy the body has increased texture due to the oatmeal this is perfected. Drinkability: Smooth creamy easliy imbibed a must try that not matter the price tag next time I'm in the mood for a Oatmeal Stout this is my choice.

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled on 9/5/03.

Appearance: Black, Dense, Opaque, you get the idea. The solid dark brown head hangs around for a while and eventually becomes a slight tan ring at the edge of the glass.

Smell: Glorious! Chocolate, caramelized malt, nuts, raisin, and of course oats.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate, plum, roasted malt, barley. The finish goes on and on.

Mouthfeel: Big. Oily and smooth, coats the palate and wont let go.

Drinkability: MORE PLEASE!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

From a 550ml bottle.

Appears black in the glass save light brown around the edges. Not much head, brown and it does leave lace as the beer recedes.

Smell is hard to place bitter and acidic. Could this be the oatmeal? Light sweet nutty smell as well.

Taste is creamy and smooth juxtaposed bitter flavors. Brew is malty with a burnt-nut taste. Doesn't bite like alot of stouts. This brew is smooth but still complex. I would call it medium bodies despite the bold appearance. Very drinkable.

One of the better stouts I have tasted. Wish there was more than one other oatmeal stout in Maine to compare it with.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Damn good beer! Drank this delicious offering with a rib eye, and some fresh veggies from the farmers market here in Chicago on a beautiful early September day and it was like matching a fine wine with food! From the get go this beer showed its colors. Deep, nearly black with red tones around the edges. The smell and taste made me think of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that I baked as a kid. The mouthfeel was velvety, creamy and very easy to enjoy. Taste wise I found ample stoutlike qualities-chocolate, mocha etc, yet this one had that oatmeal thing going that perhaps gave it the complexity to make it just a bit more unique that other stouts. I thought this to be a very rewarding food beer, and recommend it for that next rib eye off the grill.

4.11/5  rDev -2.4%

Baeutiful creamy head, with exceptional sticky lacing. Smell had an alcohol aroma with smoky undertones. Taste a nice complex blend of fruity, smoky ingredients. I was somewhat surprised at the sense of alcohol for a 5.0 abv...Medium, chewy mouthfeel that invites you to sip, not guzzle. Not my very favorite, but for the type an excellent offering.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer, along with Magic Hat #9 of all things, that started the slow fall into serious craft brew drinking...

Poured black as night, with a nice reverse cascade on pour that created a very rocky head that had swiss cheese-like holes from a side view. Left bubbly foam stain. Smelled of chocolate, oats, dark scents that were malty and roasty, and no hops – great. Tasted of bitter chocolate and sweet chocolate, dark malt mixed with roasted barley, and a very quiet soda-like sour from the oats. So mild and comforting, and that real good sweetness, too. Finish was far from drying, it leaves things smooth and slick, with small roasted barley and dark malt flavors in the back of my mouth, reminding me of that sweetness. No hops – great. Wonderfully full mouthfeel.

Love it when the hops are minimal, this is the one that re-started the style.

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

This beer is either great or not great depending on how light exposed the bottle has been. Fresh out of the case, it's amazing. The rating above are for a bottle that must have been under the flouresecent lights too long. For a beer this expensive, to package it in clear glass is flat out stupid. The one I had Saturday had an unpleasant bitterness at the end while not skunked was not a pleasant hop bitterness but an sourly sort of bitterness. I felt very ripped off.

If you can buy this straight out of the case, it will be one of the best oatmeal stouts you will ever drink. It has been sitting in a sixpack or loose, spend your money elsewhere.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours dark black with very little head and that distinctive oatmeal smell. Upon tasting, that oatmeal is the first thing that I noticed. The beer is quite sweet and malty, and I noticed a burnt peanut-ty taste. Yes, it's a dark stout, but it was very easy to drink. I had this with my dessert, and it was a fantastic finish to my meal. I suspect it works well with most sweet foods. Overall, an excellent beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is dark brown, with an excellent beige head. The smell is of oatmeal. The taste is very rich; with roasted malt and a dry oatmeal taste. Mouthfeel was very smooth. Drinkability-wise, would have many of these.

Simply the best oatmeal stout out there. So rich and delicious that I could drink this one all night.

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

550ml bottle
This beer poured a dark black body with a creamy offwhite/tan head.

The nose was very inviting. dark malts, a sugary sweet smell, almost has some slight hints of smoke, some nice soft fruit smells, fresh pears and even some apples. What an odd smell for a stout, but so perfectly balanced with the slight roasty smokey smell.

The taste was just as impressive. Medium bodied. Some light smoke, light roasted malt charector. Some soft chocolate. Brown sugar. A slightly oaky woody quality. A touch of earth. A very nice earthy hop, pear and apple peel taste. It starts very smooth and ends with this nice little bitter earthy punch, with just some soft hints of smoke.

It seems to linger for a little while with a nice earth bitterness.

Overall it's just such an amazing beer. Like a backwoods country stout. Earth, fruit, smoke and soft dark sugary malts. No wonder it's so popular among phishheads. A great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I think the best of the oatmeal stouts out there,pours a deep brown with a nice tan colored head that sticks very well.The aroma is very much like brown sugar and and roasted malt.The taste also has a brown sugar taste but a little more subdued with a nice roasted coffee taste ending nice and soft.Drinking this beer is a beer lovers experience.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A very tasty beer. Bought a bottle at Huckleberry's. Poured a deep, dark brown with a big tan head that hung around for a while. Smelled of caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Taste was a velvety smooth dollup of mildly toasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, finishing with a slight hoppyness accompanied by a mildly raisiny taste. Mouthfeel is not as creamy as, say, a Guinness, but still nice. This beer is initially easy to drink, but one winds up slowing down because its very filling, otherwise I'd give higher marks for drinkability. I'm currently re-thinking my plan to go out and scare up a dinner (its too hot to cook right now in Spokane).

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

This was my first oatmeal stout. I am always weary of the clear bottles from Samuel Smith. This poured a dark dark dark dark brown with a nice tan head. The aroma was nice and full. The taste was the same. Between Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and their Imperial Stout you can have breakfast and dinner. Oatmeal for breaksfast and Imperial for dinner.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A beautiful brew from Sam Smith. Surprise, surprise, this guy is black, very black, in the glass! A nice looking, but slight tan head caps it off. Smell is of slight, roasty coffee/espresso, but is not overwhelming. Taste is pretty much the same as it smells, with possible hints of chocolate added to the mix. As with the smell, not too strong. The mouthfeel of this one is delightful! Very smooth, milky, and creamy on the palate. Only reason its not a 5 in my book, is that it could be just slightly thicker. The drinkability on this one is among the very best of stouts in my opinion. I could easily drink these all day!!

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

pours out a dark brown/black with a nice biscuit sized brown sticky head. aromas of malt, roasted coffee and caramel/soemthing sweet come through. the taste is a little sweet with a nice malt flavour, hints of coffee come through with some caramel/buttery toffee and something i cant quit place. the mouthfeel is nice, smooth and not too thickm just right with the pefect carbonation. drinkability is high because its just so damn smooth and enjoyable. the slightly sweet flavor is something i love and the somewhat normal/low ABV keeps you from stumbling around after a few. when your in the right mood (morning, desert, night cap), this is an amazing beer.

2.76/5  rDev -34.4%

I sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes, knowing that I am going quite a bit against the grain with my opinion on this beer.
I didn't detect much aroma in this beer. it has a fairly benign taste. Not bad, but nothing special. I'll have to rerate this one at some point

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this at my local wine/beer shop.
Drank in honor of my 32 birthday.
Came in a pint bottle with gold foil around the neck. Poured Dark
brown/black with a thick tan head. Left a nice tan ring around the
inside of the glass.

I thourghly enjoyed this stout. It's taste is smooth and it definently has a carmel/ dark coffee taste to it. Left a lingering sweet/smokey
taste after the stout went down.
I'd recommend this stout to anyone that is tired of Guinness. A bit pricy but hell its damn well worth it.

I just wish it came in a 4 pack or , hell, even a 6 pack.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

This beer poured a tan head with small-medium sized bubbles. The hue of this beer was brown and there was fair lacing on the sides of my glass. The nose was hoppy with this beer and it had a smooth mouthfeel which is much to my liking.A good Stout in my opinion.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

The first time I had this it tasted horrible and I was wondering what was going on. I realized I had a skunky stout and decided to give it another go. This time it was like I had hoped it would be. Awesome. Lots of flavor. Not as much oatmeal flavor as I had expected but that was ok. Very roasted in nose and on the tongue. Roasted barley hits me first with malt and caramel sweetness. It proceeds to be very roasted but also creamier in the middle. Earthy tones and burnt hops are there to mellow the sweetness a bit. Finishes short and sweet. I want more.

edit: I have had this one a few times recently and it has definitely become one of my favorites. Also, the oatmeal taste is more prevalent now. I upped my ratings to correspond with how I feel about this stout now.

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%

Beautifiul frothy thin tan head that leaves lace on my glass sitting atop a completely black beer. Aroma is of creamy oats with a slight noble hop accent. Flavor is of carmel malt and roast barley with a thick oatmeal finish highlighted by a slight noble hop balance. The body is heavy yet this beer finishes with a malty sweetness. Very nice stout that is not sour like guinness but rather it is creamy, flavorful, and sweet.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours black, with a frothy tan head that laces nicely. Burnt malt and oat and a little chocolate make up the pleasing aroma. Taste starts dominated by a great roasted malt taste, nice bitter chocolate and coffee notes, buttery oats and a good sweetness that’s very balanced with bitter hops, finishes dry but smooth. Body is medium and smooth. As it warms up a bit more it takes on a little more alcohol in the taste.

Overall a really enjoyable experience, one of my favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

I had this one a few days ago, wrote it down in my notebook, but forgot to enter it! Anyhow, here goes...

It poured a deep ruby black, with a creamy dense head that hung around for a bit, leaving some lace on the glass.

The aroma was sweet malt, buttery grains, and chocolate. Very appetizing.

The flavour was rich and roasted. Lots of malty sweetness, some burned bitterness, a good bit of apple fruitiness, and some caramel and buttery undertones. An oatmeal flavour was in there as well. Overall it was quite interesting and complex. There was an odd metallic twang in there that I can't quite figure out. It was a satisfying stout, without a doubt.

The mouth feel was smooth, but I didn't quite find as much of the oaty slickness that I would expect from an oatmeal stout.

To summarize: this maybe isn't my absolute favourite stout, but in all the stouts I've had, this one strikes the balance between amazing quality and popular drinkability. That is, I think most of my friends would be a little overwhelmed by, say, Shakespeare Stout, but they'd really appreciate this one.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)