Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,183 | Hads: 6,169
4.41/5  rDev +5%

Black as night, only small amount of red shows through when held up to the light. Loads of lacing. Well what can i say, this is a fine beer. Very nice sweet taste, the hops are there if youre looking, otherwise they complement the beer very nicely. This shaint be the last of these that i consume. (297 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a thick, creamy head. Head settles nicely. Extremely dark brown. Smells... "oaty"! Some nuts, too. Well rounded, complex, but soothing taste. Toasted oats are obvious but not over the top. Slight, pleasant aftertaste. Very drinkable. I could go a night drinking only this. (283 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance is gorgeous - thick and black, with a ruby hue when (and if) the light can get through. Not much noticeable in the aroma, almost a roasted malt smell. The taste is nice and thick, slowly developing the hops and roasted grains in the middle of your tongue while titillating the edges of your tongue with fizziness. Very thick and relaxing.

I am glad that this bottle wasn't skunked, as it is very enjoyable - probably the most enjoyable of the 4 Samuel Smith brews I have had this evening. (502 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

This should be given to anyone who thinks that all stouts taste like guinness. Black in color with a thin tan head. I found little to know aroma at all. This is it's only downfall. The taste though, is fantastic. It's a very robust molasses like taste that lingers on my tongue for quite some time. The mouthfeel is very thick and it goes down smooth. Certaintly one of the best examples of the style. (401 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15%

Pours the obvious thick black like any good oatmeal stout should. The head was almost non-existant, but I think it could have been better had I poured more vigorously from the beginning. Smell is sweet and malty, but there is more chocolate than oatmeal in the aroma.

Unfortunately the taste didn't deliver on everything that the smell promised. There was a definite malty sweetness, but only faint hints of outmeal and chocolate, and there was more of a burnt flavor than anything else. The mouthfeel isn't quite as thick as I was hoping from a good stout.

Not a bad beer, and definitely drinkable, but not one that I will order again. (642 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A light brown moonscape head sits upon black gold. This beer is
one of the greats with its chocolate biscuit mouthfeel and burnt
notes that increase as the beer warms up. What makes this beer
great is the balance between all the flavours and the desire to
slow down and enjoy every sip. One of my favourite beers I haved
tasted. (333 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

Nice dark brown, nearly opaque color. Head is steady, tan in color. A slight skunky smell taints the aroma. The skunk dissipates (or the senses acclimatize), but the nose is faint. Only with a vigorous swirl is there any aroma generated. Sweetish oatmeal and some chocolate notes are detected. Many of the characteristics of the aroma are noted in the taste and are a bit more pronounced. Body is light, mouthfeel smooth and drinkable. A slightly above average oatmeal stout IMHO. (480 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

What can I say, but Holy Freakin’ Cow. This is one absolutely smooth beer. Pours a deep brown color topped off by an incredibly thick and creamy head. Head retains itself for the entire duration, leaving a thin, sticky coating of lace on the glass. Nose is full of roasted oats, toffee, and mild nutty undertones. The taste is very similar to the aroma, mildly sweet and very delicious. The mouthfeel is total smoothness. I highly recommend this brew to any lover of fine stouts. (480 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9%

This oatmeal stout poured a very, VERY deep amber almost black. It was clear when held to a light. The ample dark tan head held on for the entire time it took to drink the clear 550 ml bottle. The roasted aroma was muted but very nice. The roasted flavor grabbed my tongue. It semi sweet taste lingered long after the liquid was swallowed. There was almost a wee heavy aspect of the roasted and chocolate combination. The mouthfeel was creamy and clung to my tongue. This is an exceptional beer and I would recommend this to anyone. (532 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

After hearing about this for a long time I finally tried it. Wow. This is good stuff. Pours black with a large dark creamy head. Taste is very malty, with chocolate accents. Not a boring stout here. This has a nice, thick mouthfeel. Finishes smooth with a nice lingering sweetness. Wow (285 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

I ordered a large (clear) bottle of this Oatmeal Stout at my newly-opened local beerpub, Mary's, and I savored its thick, dark, earthiness over delightful conversation with one of the pub's owners on a serenely slow Tuesday night. The stout poured an almost jet black (just a slight shimmer of red--but the lighting was low) with a deep tan head. It had a distinct musty smell and only the slightest hint of fruit. The mouthfeel was excellent; it was viscous and even creamy with little carbonation. The taste had a heavy maltiness, like caramel, and again the subtle citrus fruitiness lingered on the back of my buds. I liked it a lot, so I ordered another, and it continued to charm me--in all, a good choice from start to finish. (732 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours an extremely black color with a beautiful brown head which laces the glass all the way down. It has a mild chocolate nose with whiffs of sweetness. This beer is smooth and yet has the most complex flavor of any oatmeal stout I've had yet. I can taste the oats, chocolate, roasted goodness and even some hoppiness. This brew has a nice thick mouthfeel that helps keep the flavor lingering until you are ready for the next drink. This is without a doubt the best Oatmeal Stout I've had to date. While it is a little on the expensive side, it is definitely something I will treat myself to again. (609 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Comes in a clear bottle so you see the deep brown with light red tones right in the bottle. Pouring it into a glass I immediately smell the oats and malt, very fresh and doughy sweet, like walking into a bread bakery, yum. Taste is very good and smooth with great balance of dark sweet malts. It even lingers in the mouth and throat after swallowing with oats and solid malty flavors. Great creamy finish with some cocoa and some nut-like notes and a slight twingey dryness. Has a smooth body feel with more then enough texture, super yum. Absolutly excellent. Recommendation is high for this UK keeper.

Rivisit Aug. 29th - Tweeked the numbers a bit - color of used motor oil and nearly pours as thick, finger high head of yellowish cream of spongyness, crumbles fast, spotty lace that sticks like glue. Aroma is strong of oats and molasses, some sweet bitter chocolate and lots of solid roasted malts with cherry and plum notes. Enjoyably wafting stout nose. Taste really smacks of nice sweet oat character the whole way through, almost too much, its sweetness is chewy and strong. Roasted malts play secondary on the palatte along with some darl fruityness of plum and very light bitter chocolate notes which alll mostly come through near the finish. Feell is super creamy smooth, medium body with the center being more full. Has a easy, relaxing calm smooth finish thats lightly dry. Lending this oatmeal stout to be smoothly drinkable, goes down easy; a sweet chewy treat. (1,479 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought in the clear glass 550ml bottle ( why clear?)
This beer looks pretty darn good right from the first pour..seems to pour heavy it musters a large tan frothy head..but that only lasts a minute of two before it dissapates down to a thick lace around the glass edge.
The beer it self is a deep dark mahogany brown..with some ruby highlights...nice.
the smell is malty and fresh..can maybe sense some oats.
This beer has a great chewy long lasting tatse for one so low in alcohol..good job.. i taste some malt, some choclate ( milk chocolate for a change) some coffee undertones and a creamy taste right at the end..very well done.
Mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth yet not lacking in taste bud tingling!!
My Lord a very drinkable stout..if this were not so exspensive i could see me downing quita few of these most weekends!!
Overall great beer. (853 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Not normally a dark beer drinker I think this great beer helps to change my mind about the darker brews. This is an outstanding drink that looks good and tastes great. It has great black coloring with a decent dark tan head. Smooth and silky it has no single flavor that overwhelms the palate. A creamy, rich delight that is nicely packaged, but for the clear bottle. Definitely would be great with many different foods and could stay through the evening without overstaying its welcome. (487 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Oh, man, I think I'm in love! My favorite Oatmeal stout used to be Young's, but now that I've had a Sammy, I may have to change my allegiance...

The beer came in the 550 ml clear bottle, and came as part of a Samuel Smith's Beer Nut package. This kept the beer in the dark, so it didn't have a chance to get light-struck, like most Sammies. The beer poured deep black, with a big fluffy, tan head that left lots of lace on the Samuel Smith's pint glass that came in the package. I served the beer straight from my cellar, not from the fridge, so it was about 55 degrees or so.

Most of the time, I don't notice much aroma in a beer, but this brew had a nice strong aroma of sweet malt. The predominant flavors are malt and caramel, with a couple of fleeting cafe au lait and citrus notes. Some mild cola notes appear as the beer warms. The finish is a spirited discussion between the malt and oatmeal sweetness, and a mild, hoppy bitterness. Outstanding mouthfeel, creamy, almost syrup-y, definitely thicker than many other stouts.

I can see why this brew is rated so highly. It's definitely more complex than many other stouts, and would make a great introduction to someone just getting into stouts.

Cheers! (1,220 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: The beer was black, with some faint ruby hues around the edges when held up to the light. The head was dense and settled down quickly. It left a minimal amount of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma was very mild. Chocolate and cream were the dominant components, with just a little bit of coffee. There was also a bit of a bite on the nose that I couldn't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: Terrific. Full bodied, smooth, and creamy.

Taste: This brew had a milder flavor than I remember. It started off with the taste of sweet chocolate, and then faded into a mild, bitter coffee flavor. There was not much of an aftertaste at all. Just a little bit of sourness left in the mouth.

This is a delicious, mild stout. Very creamy and smooth. (756 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Appearance = opaque, brownish-black. Creamy-tan head, nice lacing.

Nose = mocha (dark roasted coffee beans, cocoa) molasses and hickory nuts

Taste = sweet, dark roasted malts, molasses, dark roasted coffee. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. VERY tasty, very filling. I'm ready for my next bottle.

A 550 ml clear glass bottle of yummy oatmeal stout. Rather spendy, worth every penny. (383 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Thick, bubbly, tannish head on top of inky liquid. Sweet smelling raisiny malt with additional notes of toasted grains and chocolate. Not really any hops to be found in the nose. Silky smooth in the mouth with tiny pearly bubbles. Beer tasted roasty and sweet, at times reminding me of a Butterfinger of all things! There certainly was some coffee and some indescribable yet delicious ripe fruit.

Rich, complex, and classic brew. It’s less sophisticated than their Imperial Stout, but it still creates enough havoc in the mouth to keep you very, very interested. This is one of my sentimental favorites, so even if they get bought out by AB I’ll still drink it! (667 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Happy to sample this one on a brutally cold eve at an unsuspecting bar (TGIF's?)... Tried to pour the best I could into my glass with my icy fingers. I think my efforts could have been better, but overall appearance was good: very dark liquid with a "thickish" foam which settled in nicely (forgot to check my glass prior for head maintenance). I sensed a very pleasant roasted and alcoholic quality in the smell and my tasting quickly followed. Very fine taste indeed. Full, up-front roasted flavor and great finish. Mouthfeel was also super (oatmeal-enhanced?). My tasting notes ended here, but knowing I had to sample even more (or brave the cold) -- a beer-switcher stayed true to this brew the remaining eve. (713 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Very surprised when I first had this. Clear bottle not a great choice for this dark beauty, but regardless it tasted great. Definte solid black color topped off with a creamy tan head that slowly transforms to a thin lace before your eyes. Sweeter than expected with a slight bitter after taste very good balance of flavors. Dark Chocolate, coffee and malty type of taste, very appealing. Very smooth to drink and again taste great.

One of my top choices now and strongly recommended to try. (494 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice deep color was topped by an airy tan head that disappated, lacing was thin and very smattered. Nice roasty smell with some sweetness. Silky creamy mouthfeel, mellow roasted flavor, a nice nightcap. Upper echelon stout but I don't agree with the majority of my fellow advocates who consider this the king. Young's is. My opinion folks. (339 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite good. I compared this directly with McAuslan's Oatmeal Stout, just for the hell of it (and because I had a bottle lying around). That being said, they probably represent two endmembers for the style.

Pours out black, surprisingly enough. A nice creamy tan head that doesn't want to leave and laces elaborately. The taste is very smooth... Oatmeal is present at the edges, but the main flavour is smooth black malts. Sweet and succulent. Some bitterness, but very restrained. An all around excellent stout, and worthy of it's legendary status.

Since I started with mentioning the McAuslan, I better finish that thought - the McAuslan is aggressive everywhere that Samuel Smith is relaxed and smooth. (711 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is sweet! both figuratively and literally. It pours a very dark
color with a nice tan head than receded into a film that followed the beer
down the glass to the last sip. Smelling it brought out some nice coffee
flavors and just a little hint of the oatmeal. Tasting produced a nice
sweet effect on my palette and the oatmeal was very apparent. the only thing that caught me off gaurd was the thin mouthfeel it had, it was not at all thick. This cost me a little more than I usually spend, but it was well worth it. (529 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%

This is a good beer, but not a great beer. I enjoy Magic Hat's oatmeal stout better. This one is a tad too sweet for me. Also a bit weak but makes up for it when in imperial pint form. I would recomend this beer to others, it's just not for me.

why the clear bottle for such a dark beer? (292 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)