Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

pDev: 10%
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,173 | Hads: 6,137
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

I ordered a large (clear) bottle of this Oatmeal Stout at my newly-opened local beerpub, Mary's, and I savored its thick, dark, earthiness over delightful conversation with one of the pub's owners on a serenely slow Tuesday night. The stout poured an almost jet black (just a slight shimmer of red--but the lighting was low) with a deep tan head. It had a distinct musty smell and only the slightest hint of fruit. The mouthfeel was excellent; it was viscous and even creamy with little carbonation. The taste had a heavy maltiness, like caramel, and again the subtle citrus fruitiness lingered on the back of my buds. I liked it a lot, so I ordered another, and it continued to charm me--in all, a good choice from start to finish. (732 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours an extremely black color with a beautiful brown head which laces the glass all the way down. It has a mild chocolate nose with whiffs of sweetness. This beer is smooth and yet has the most complex flavor of any oatmeal stout I've had yet. I can taste the oats, chocolate, roasted goodness and even some hoppiness. This brew has a nice thick mouthfeel that helps keep the flavor lingering until you are ready for the next drink. This is without a doubt the best Oatmeal Stout I've had to date. While it is a little on the expensive side, it is definitely something I will treat myself to again. (609 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Comes in a clear bottle so you see the deep brown with light red tones right in the bottle. Pouring it into a glass I immediately smell the oats and malt, very fresh and doughy sweet, like walking into a bread bakery, yum. Taste is very good and smooth with great balance of dark sweet malts. It even lingers in the mouth and throat after swallowing with oats and solid malty flavors. Great creamy finish with some cocoa and some nut-like notes and a slight twingey dryness. Has a smooth body feel with more then enough texture, super yum. Absolutly excellent. Recommendation is high for this UK keeper.

Rivisit Aug. 29th - Tweeked the numbers a bit - color of used motor oil and nearly pours as thick, finger high head of yellowish cream of spongyness, crumbles fast, spotty lace that sticks like glue. Aroma is strong of oats and molasses, some sweet bitter chocolate and lots of solid roasted malts with cherry and plum notes. Enjoyably wafting stout nose. Taste really smacks of nice sweet oat character the whole way through, almost too much, its sweetness is chewy and strong. Roasted malts play secondary on the palatte along with some darl fruityness of plum and very light bitter chocolate notes which alll mostly come through near the finish. Feell is super creamy smooth, medium body with the center being more full. Has a easy, relaxing calm smooth finish thats lightly dry. Lending this oatmeal stout to be smoothly drinkable, goes down easy; a sweet chewy treat. (1,479 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought in the clear glass 550ml bottle ( why clear?)
This beer looks pretty darn good right from the first pour..seems to pour heavy it musters a large tan frothy head..but that only lasts a minute of two before it dissapates down to a thick lace around the glass edge.
The beer it self is a deep dark mahogany brown..with some ruby highlights...nice.
the smell is malty and fresh..can maybe sense some oats.
This beer has a great chewy long lasting tatse for one so low in alcohol..good job.. i taste some malt, some choclate ( milk chocolate for a change) some coffee undertones and a creamy taste right at the end..very well done.
Mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth yet not lacking in taste bud tingling!!
My Lord a very drinkable stout..if this were not so exspensive i could see me downing quita few of these most weekends!!
Overall great beer. (853 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Not normally a dark beer drinker I think this great beer helps to change my mind about the darker brews. This is an outstanding drink that looks good and tastes great. It has great black coloring with a decent dark tan head. Smooth and silky it has no single flavor that overwhelms the palate. A creamy, rich delight that is nicely packaged, but for the clear bottle. Definitely would be great with many different foods and could stay through the evening without overstaying its welcome. (487 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Oh, man, I think I'm in love! My favorite Oatmeal stout used to be Young's, but now that I've had a Sammy, I may have to change my allegiance...

The beer came in the 550 ml clear bottle, and came as part of a Samuel Smith's Beer Nut package. This kept the beer in the dark, so it didn't have a chance to get light-struck, like most Sammies. The beer poured deep black, with a big fluffy, tan head that left lots of lace on the Samuel Smith's pint glass that came in the package. I served the beer straight from my cellar, not from the fridge, so it was about 55 degrees or so.

Most of the time, I don't notice much aroma in a beer, but this brew had a nice strong aroma of sweet malt. The predominant flavors are malt and caramel, with a couple of fleeting cafe au lait and citrus notes. Some mild cola notes appear as the beer warms. The finish is a spirited discussion between the malt and oatmeal sweetness, and a mild, hoppy bitterness. Outstanding mouthfeel, creamy, almost syrup-y, definitely thicker than many other stouts.

I can see why this brew is rated so highly. It's definitely more complex than many other stouts, and would make a great introduction to someone just getting into stouts.

Cheers! (1,220 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: The beer was black, with some faint ruby hues around the edges when held up to the light. The head was dense and settled down quickly. It left a minimal amount of lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma was very mild. Chocolate and cream were the dominant components, with just a little bit of coffee. There was also a bit of a bite on the nose that I couldn't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: Terrific. Full bodied, smooth, and creamy.

Taste: This brew had a milder flavor than I remember. It started off with the taste of sweet chocolate, and then faded into a mild, bitter coffee flavor. There was not much of an aftertaste at all. Just a little bit of sourness left in the mouth.

This is a delicious, mild stout. Very creamy and smooth. (756 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Appearance = opaque, brownish-black. Creamy-tan head, nice lacing.

Nose = mocha (dark roasted coffee beans, cocoa) molasses and hickory nuts

Taste = sweet, dark roasted malts, molasses, dark roasted coffee. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. VERY tasty, very filling. I'm ready for my next bottle.

A 550 ml clear glass bottle of yummy oatmeal stout. Rather spendy, worth every penny. (383 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Thick, bubbly, tannish head on top of inky liquid. Sweet smelling raisiny malt with additional notes of toasted grains and chocolate. Not really any hops to be found in the nose. Silky smooth in the mouth with tiny pearly bubbles. Beer tasted roasty and sweet, at times reminding me of a Butterfinger of all things! There certainly was some coffee and some indescribable yet delicious ripe fruit.

Rich, complex, and classic brew. It’s less sophisticated than their Imperial Stout, but it still creates enough havoc in the mouth to keep you very, very interested. This is one of my sentimental favorites, so even if they get bought out by AB I’ll still drink it! (667 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Happy to sample this one on a brutally cold eve at an unsuspecting bar (TGIF's?)... Tried to pour the best I could into my glass with my icy fingers. I think my efforts could have been better, but overall appearance was good: very dark liquid with a "thickish" foam which settled in nicely (forgot to check my glass prior for head maintenance). I sensed a very pleasant roasted and alcoholic quality in the smell and my tasting quickly followed. Very fine taste indeed. Full, up-front roasted flavor and great finish. Mouthfeel was also super (oatmeal-enhanced?). My tasting notes ended here, but knowing I had to sample even more (or brave the cold) -- a beer-switcher stayed true to this brew the remaining eve. (713 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Very surprised when I first had this. Clear bottle not a great choice for this dark beauty, but regardless it tasted great. Definte solid black color topped off with a creamy tan head that slowly transforms to a thin lace before your eyes. Sweeter than expected with a slight bitter after taste very good balance of flavors. Dark Chocolate, coffee and malty type of taste, very appealing. Very smooth to drink and again taste great.

One of my top choices now and strongly recommended to try. (494 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice deep color was topped by an airy tan head that disappated, lacing was thin and very smattered. Nice roasty smell with some sweetness. Silky creamy mouthfeel, mellow roasted flavor, a nice nightcap. Upper echelon stout but I don't agree with the majority of my fellow advocates who consider this the king. Young's is. My opinion folks. (339 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite good. I compared this directly with McAuslan's Oatmeal Stout, just for the hell of it (and because I had a bottle lying around). That being said, they probably represent two endmembers for the style.

Pours out black, surprisingly enough. A nice creamy tan head that doesn't want to leave and laces elaborately. The taste is very smooth... Oatmeal is present at the edges, but the main flavour is smooth black malts. Sweet and succulent. Some bitterness, but very restrained. An all around excellent stout, and worthy of it's legendary status.

Since I started with mentioning the McAuslan, I better finish that thought - the McAuslan is aggressive everywhere that Samuel Smith is relaxed and smooth. (711 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is sweet! both figuratively and literally. It pours a very dark
color with a nice tan head than receded into a film that followed the beer
down the glass to the last sip. Smelling it brought out some nice coffee
flavors and just a little hint of the oatmeal. Tasting produced a nice
sweet effect on my palette and the oatmeal was very apparent. the only thing that caught me off gaurd was the thin mouthfeel it had, it was not at all thick. This cost me a little more than I usually spend, but it was well worth it. (529 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%

This is a good beer, but not a great beer. I enjoy Magic Hat's oatmeal stout better. This one is a tad too sweet for me. Also a bit weak but makes up for it when in imperial pint form. I would recomend this beer to others, it's just not for me.

why the clear bottle for such a dark beer? (292 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Smooth
My only question is why they would use clear glass bottles that could lead to early deterioration of this lovely product. Rich aroma springs from the bottle upon opening.

Creamy soft texture. Really full flavored on a huge frame, but everything works so nicely together it is not loud. It has that berry-fruity taste that great bittersweet chocolate has. There is a mellow sweetness here, that you almost miss because it is so mellow, despite it being so obvious. I found none of the astringent/bitterness that the other reviews found. I will have to buy a case and drink until I find it. (616 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

First off, this sample is one that I received in Oct-Nov 2000. Upon opening, I didn't detect any bad or strange odors, so I decided to go ahead and drink it.

It appeared black as it was being poured with a quick forming dark tan head. The head hung around for the first few drinks than settled down forming a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Once poured, it let out of sweet, spicy smell that I found pleasing and inviting. I was unsure what to expect from the first taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. It still had a somewhat silky texture, but the flavor seemed to come fast and leave faster. I could taste roasted malts with a hint of coffee and overall it was a pleasant taste considering its age.

Carbonation seemed to hold up well, but I will have to get a fresh sample this weekend to compare it. The after taste was dry and almost non-existent, but still left a slight bitter taste on the sides of the tongue. All in all, I would still consider the taste outstanding. (996 characters)

Big, booming tan head, and a color as black as the darkest night. Aroma is all things good: fresh, nutty, dry, coffee, espresso, the very essence of roastiness. Texture is smooth, with late bitterness coming through on the palate, very chewy and substantial. Comes on sweet, warm, and wonderful, a comforting stout.
Honestly, how do they do it? There are many who attempt this style, but no one comes close to Samuel Smith's when it comes to flavor, to taste, to utter perfection. Nothing less than happiness can result from drinking this fine brew. Always to find a spot among my Top Five. Absolutely perfect! (612 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured dark as night. Not much of a head, but that's ok. The taste was rather sweet, bordering on being a porter. It had many unique complexities, the roasted coffe, the chocolate, etc. but it did not translate very well for me. A good beer, but not the best. (259 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

550ml clear bottle.

Pours a near opaque black as midnight rich-looking beer, crowned with a frothy tan foam head; sturdy retention and a slight stick to the glass. Head remains all the way through the drinking experience. Outstanding.

Aroma is very soft and gentle on the nose with notes of earth, blackstrap molasses, nuts and some dark roasted malt astringency akin to coffee.

Firm, thick, milky smooth mouthfeel, paired with a very high dextrin sweetness and feel, that's not sickly sweet, but nonetheless ample, defining and bold. Oats are noticeable, giving the beer depth and lending a touch of starch in the flavour. A slight acrid character is lifted from the palate by the beer's prickly carbonation. Robust. More rich blackstrap molasses with undertones of coffee, unsweetened bitter dark cooking cholocate, deep earth flavours, real faint aniseed, a mark of herbal (rosemary?) and a leafy/woody character from the hops that carries over into the mouthfeel; bitty, coarse, a bit pear-like. Bit of a "cola" edge appears where the beer peaks and begins to fade. Mineral flavours pull out of the thickness and embed themselves in the sweet-ish / woody finish.

A meal in a bottle, this one is. A classic English stout with all of the complexities expected from much touted Old Brewery Tadcaster. Certainly not the best stout in my opinion, nor the best example of the style, but it is damn good. (1,413 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer came in a clear bottle (surprised me) and poured into the glass a dark brown/black but when held to the light there were ruby highlights. The head was beige in color, creamy and thick. The lace held up nicely and stretched to the bottom of the glass. The aroma was of molasses, chocolate, dark malt, and slight vanilla. The tastes were sweet and creamy not thick. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, bitter hops and chocolate in the end and some what dry . Simple and yet complex all at the same time. This is a very smooth beer. I am surprised that I had not tried this earlier in my life. I really REALLY enjoyed this beer. (632 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Package: 1 pint, 2.7oz. (550ml) clear bottle, with nice bas-relief. 5.0% ABV. No Date.

Cost: $2.49 per bottle.

Presentation: Poured into pint glass at ~45º.

Appearance: This pours nicely, with a dense, dark-beige head, with a few large bubbles. Reminiscent of the top of a root-beer float. One of the best heads from a non-widget can or tap. Leaves true lace down the glass. Resolves down to one finger-width. The brown-black color is virtually opaque, similar to the “tobacco” color on a 60’s Mercedes cabriolet.

Smell: Second in smell only to the Maclay’s Oatmalt Stout, which is smokier with whisky notes. The caramel, chocolate, cinnamon, and semi-burnt aromas blend well.

Taste: All of the elements in the nose transfer to the tongue, along with some nutmeg and allspice. There is almost a “salty” edge to the flavor that replaces the sourness present in many stouts. More chocolate than coffee. If you move it around your mouth, the chewiness lets different flavors come to the forefront with each mouthful, revealing something new. Balanced. Long finish, with no astringent or sour notes. On the malty-sweet side, but pleasantly so.

Mouthfeel: My first reaction is that this is very satiny. The carbonation is definitely present, but in the background. Body is better than many oatmeal stouts, improving upon that of the Young’s nitro-can oatmeal stout and matched in the bottle only by St. Ambroise-McAuslan.

Drinkability: An extremely smooth, easy drinking oatmeal stout. The only reason it doesn’t get a 5 is that it is so filling!

In my experience to date, nothing compares to Young’s Oatmeal Stout on draught, which ignited my love for this style. Perhaps my memory has improved upon the reality and I’m willing to bet that the McAuslan is even better on tap than it is in the bottle, making it a viable contender for the top spot. After that, I find that this and the Maclay’s Oatmalt Stout (sadly gone) are the best, bottled, oatmeal stouts I’ve had the pleasure of trying.

Backwash: The gold standard of bottled oatmeal stouts. (2,144 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

That deceptive clear bottle. Until you pour this stout, you would swear it was in a brown bottle, but noooo- clear as glass can be! Deep brown, almost opaque, brew with a caramel colored head that lasts and lasts. Eventually fades to a thin layer with no discernable lace. Sweet chocolate aroma and mollasses. Smooth taste, slightly bitter cocoa, coffee, malts. Thinner mouthfeel than expected, light carbonation. Overall pretty drinkable and a good introduction to the style. (476 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Re-sampled on 5/12/2003. An excellent brew. This beer poured a nice dark, midnight black colour into my pint glass. It had a nice beige head that held quite well. The aromas were of barley and roasted malts. This tasted very sweet for a stout (not unlike a sweet stout) and this style is quite different to dry stouts, sweet stouts, and imperial stouts. This had a very full, creamy mouthfeel and a nice drinkability as well.
A very easy-drinking stout!
Cheers!
-F (467 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice chocolate flavor and typical dark stout appearance. Low carbonation and light body (for an oatmeal stout) made it easy to drink. The price is a bit high and will keep me from drinking too many of these. (207 characters)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)