Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,203 | Hads: 6,269
4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

The first time I had this it tasted horrible and I was wondering what was going on. I realized I had a skunky stout and decided to give it another go. This time it was like I had hoped it would be. Awesome. Lots of flavor. Not as much oatmeal flavor as I had expected but that was ok. Very roasted in nose and on the tongue. Roasted barley hits me first with malt and caramel sweetness. It proceeds to be very roasted but also creamier in the middle. Earthy tones and burnt hops are there to mellow the sweetness a bit. Finishes short and sweet. I want more.

edit: I have had this one a few times recently and it has definitely become one of my favorites. Also, the oatmeal taste is more prevalent now. I upped my ratings to correspond with how I feel about this stout now.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Beautifiul frothy thin tan head that leaves lace on my glass sitting atop a completely black beer. Aroma is of creamy oats with a slight noble hop accent. Flavor is of carmel malt and roast barley with a thick oatmeal finish highlighted by a slight noble hop balance. The body is heavy yet this beer finishes with a malty sweetness. Very nice stout that is not sour like guinness but rather it is creamy, flavorful, and sweet.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours black, with a frothy tan head that laces nicely. Burnt malt and oat and a little chocolate make up the pleasing aroma. Taste starts dominated by a great roasted malt taste, nice bitter chocolate and coffee notes, buttery oats and a good sweetness that’s very balanced with bitter hops, finishes dry but smooth. Body is medium and smooth. As it warms up a bit more it takes on a little more alcohol in the taste.

Overall a really enjoyable experience, one of my favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this one a few days ago, wrote it down in my notebook, but forgot to enter it! Anyhow, here goes...

It poured a deep ruby black, with a creamy dense head that hung around for a bit, leaving some lace on the glass.

The aroma was sweet malt, buttery grains, and chocolate. Very appetizing.

The flavour was rich and roasted. Lots of malty sweetness, some burned bitterness, a good bit of apple fruitiness, and some caramel and buttery undertones. An oatmeal flavour was in there as well. Overall it was quite interesting and complex. There was an odd metallic twang in there that I can't quite figure out. It was a satisfying stout, without a doubt.

The mouth feel was smooth, but I didn't quite find as much of the oaty slickness that I would expect from an oatmeal stout.

To summarize: this maybe isn't my absolute favourite stout, but in all the stouts I've had, this one strikes the balance between amazing quality and popular drinkability. That is, I think most of my friends would be a little overwhelmed by, say, Shakespeare Stout, but they'd really appreciate this one.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

And here is the always yummy Sammy Smith's Oatmeal. This is the first stout other than Guinness that I ever tried. It's the first beer that got me into drinking better beer. I owe this beer a lot. It's the best beer to come out of a clear bottle, that's for sure. Nowadays, I'd have to say I prefer the Imperial Stout offering by Sammy Smith's. But this is one stout I will always fall back upon and enjoy thoroughly. It's damn near opaque with a well-retaining tan head. The aroma is mostly burnt chocolate malt, faint coffee, sweetness, and hops. Same goes with the flavor as far as I'm concerned. It has a buttery, if slightly thin but still thick enough for a stout mouthfeel. And it's creamy....drinkable as all hell. I only prefer the Imperial because I'm on a robust kick. But this stout is truly amazing and has never let me down. The clear bottle has always scared me, but it's always fresh when I buy it.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

This brew has a mild hoppy malt aroma. Invigorated pour with a light brown head of small to medium bubbles and a opaque dark brown body with a receding lacing on the side of the glass. It has a surprisingly smooth flavor with very subtle taste. Hard to place the flavor, but it went down very easily and was very much to my liking.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. Note the beer was initially way to cold. It was still good, but it because great the closer to the optimal serving temperature, which IMHO is just slightly, slighty chilled or between 60-70 degrees F.

Poured a deep, dark brown almost black with a slight reddish tinge to it. The head was frothing and creamed coffee in color. Good lacing through out the sample.

Aromas of roasted malt, oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee with hints of earth and peat.

Taste is wonderful, full bodied roasted sweet malt flavor dominates the palette. The texture is creamy and silky smooth with hints of earth and peat that give way to a dry coffee bitterness that finishes with just the slightest hint of hops for balance. There are also undertones of toffee, caramel, and chocolate throughout the flavor profile that hit hear and there as this incredibly smooth and easy drinking stout go down way to quickly. I tried to slow down and savor the flavors, but this stout just glides across the tongue, through the mouth, and down the throat.

Truly a wonderful brew and a well crafted stout. Two Pints Up!

3.82/5  rDev -9%

As others have said, Whats with the clear glass bottle. Poured a dark chocolate brown, with a chocolate head that slowly receded leaving a fair amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is of roasted malt, a hint of chocolate, and coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, however the taste didn't live up to the aroma. Sweet from the malt with some coffee but little else. Not bad, but not the best Oatmeal stout I've had. Overall it was still enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the clear bottle pours forth a black beer with a light tan to light brown head, which is composed of many tiny bubbles and diminishes somewhat quickly. The aroma is of roasted malt. Not particularly strong, but inviting. The taste is wonderful and full of many flavors including chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. A taste similar to sherry also comes through especially in the dry finish. Very smooth and very enjoyable. Highly drinkable despite being a medium to heavy bodied beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

The beer pours black witha full tan head that is well retained. The aroma is of dark malts. There is something in it that I just can't put my finger on; maybe it's the yeast or an aromatic specialty grain. The taste is excellant. A good stout with that oatmeal flavor. Chocolate malts overpower me in a good way. It is such a balanced ale. A real pleasure to drink. The mouthfeel is med/heavy body, but a real drinkable beer. A low abv. (5%) means that many can be had without getting too loose. Another great brew from this respected brewery.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Ok, Now i'm finished with beer in clear glass. This one was slightly skunked as well. I'll never make another attempt at this. Looks nice, dark with foamy head. Aroma is sadly tainted. Same with flavor, although not as bad as the nutbrown I had earler. Good mouthfeel and probably a good hopped stout. Maybe I'll plan a trip to England and try this one. On draught.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

The only other time I drank this beer, I had it in comparison with Sammy's Imperial. It is not as malty or subtantial (and isn't supposed to be). I tried it again tonight, and although it still comes across as somewhat mild for a stout, it has a nice, well balanced taste. Terrific appearance in the glass, with a large foamy head. I still prefer the imperial, but this is a very smooth, enjoyable beer.

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

It has been several years since I first tried this stout. It's expense put me off, and I am generally not much of a stout person. I pick up a bottle recently and just sat down to enjoy it. I should have let it set on the counter for a while to warm up, but I generally drink my beer slowly and now, an hour after I retrieved it from the fridge, it is a good temperature.

The head doesn't last as long as good stout's head should, but perhaps this is due to the fact that it is bottled. The smell seems to allude to a complexity that is not present in the taste. When bringing the glass to your mouth smell chocolate, caramel and coffee beans, but the taste delivers only the chocolate. It is overly sweet for my taste, and, dare I say it, it is too smooth.

As stated earlier, I am not much of a stout drinker, so I would humbly categorize this as a beginner's stout. And, as a beginning stout drinker, I am looking to move to something a little deeper and with more character.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A very nice dark stout, that when held to light I only imagine that there's a little reddish-brown color around the outsides of the glass. I light tan head that stuck around for a while and left a nice sticky lace down the sides. The flavor is sweet and malty with a hint of bitter-chocolate. Nice and creamy with a very clean finish and with only 5% abv this is one that I can drink all night. The only reason that I left room for improvement in my score is that it's not GLBC Ohio City.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I had this beer in a 12oz. bottle poured into a tulip style glass. The color is a deep black with 2 fingers of dark tan head. There is a bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is sweet roasted coffee maybe. The taste is very sweet, not hoppy at all. Almost a mix of toffee and coffee in this. Nice sweet finish that is just great. The mouthfeel is very strong, I love it! The drinkability is a little low for a 5.0%. Great stout though that I will enjoy again soon.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A dense opaque stout, that's for sure. Direct sunlight has an effort trying to permeate it. It pours out with a dark bubbly cake of a head that doesn't last the ride, but leaves a fairly impressive lace.
It possesses a sweet, sweet nose--is there any lactose in there?
A bittersweet flavour, but in reverse (sweet/bitter?), with a somewhat boozy acidic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, but with a bit of an acidic edge at the very end, which doesn't make it as velvety as it looks. However this is still a good stout, although I could only handle one per sitting, and I was weened on Guinness
(which is by no means an exemplar of the style, just a starting point). A fine specimen for those with a sweet tooth.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a light ink black in color with a two finger foamy head. Aroma of burnt malts and some chocolate. Sweet and creamy, slippery smooth, somewhat acidic and smokey. Some dark roast coffee and a slightly dry finish, leaves you yearning for more. Incredible stout, should own it's own category.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-65F.

A big, dense brown head hosts little explosions. The beer is dark black with deep garnet highlights. The lacing is thick and sticky.

The sweet toffee smell is echoed in the front of the beer. The middle is sweet and malty, just a little oily. Just a touch of smoky coffee shows up in the finish. This is a good beer. It's almost a little too sweet for me, though it dries a little and gets creamier with temperature.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Dark mahogany brown, with a foamy brown head. The head lingers a bit and leaves, but produces good lacing. The aroma is of roasted malt, and the flavor matches the aroma, but then throws in a hint of hop bitterness, with nuances of coffee and chocolate. Very well-balanced, very nice creamy mouthfeel. These guys just make really good stuf.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours like black espresso with one finger of tight tan head floating on top.

Mostly roast coffee aromas.

Smooth & creamy, full bodied. Like velvet.

Tastes of raisins, coffee, & chocolate mix well with the lucious roast malt flavor. Finishes smooth & bittersweet, with a very sublte hop character that keeps the sweetness in check.

I could drink this all night!

4.41/5  rDev +5%

Black as night, only small amount of red shows through when held up to the light. Loads of lacing. Well what can i say, this is a fine beer. Very nice sweet taste, the hops are there if youre looking, otherwise they complement the beer very nicely. This shaint be the last of these that i consume.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a thick, creamy head. Head settles nicely. Extremely dark brown. Smells... "oaty"! Some nuts, too. Well rounded, complex, but soothing taste. Toasted oats are obvious but not over the top. Slight, pleasant aftertaste. Very drinkable. I could go a night drinking only this.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance is gorgeous - thick and black, with a ruby hue when (and if) the light can get through. Not much noticeable in the aroma, almost a roasted malt smell. The taste is nice and thick, slowly developing the hops and roasted grains in the middle of your tongue while titillating the edges of your tongue with fizziness. Very thick and relaxing.

I am glad that this bottle wasn't skunked, as it is very enjoyable - probably the most enjoyable of the 4 Samuel Smith brews I have had this evening.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

This should be given to anyone who thinks that all stouts taste like guinness. Black in color with a thin tan head. I found little to know aroma at all. This is it's only downfall. The taste though, is fantastic. It's a very robust molasses like taste that lingers on my tongue for quite some time. The mouthfeel is very thick and it goes down smooth. Certaintly one of the best examples of the style.

3.57/5  rDev -15%

Pours the obvious thick black like any good oatmeal stout should. The head was almost non-existant, but I think it could have been better had I poured more vigorously from the beginning. Smell is sweet and malty, but there is more chocolate than oatmeal in the aroma.

Unfortunately the taste didn't deliver on everything that the smell promised. There was a definite malty sweetness, but only faint hints of outmeal and chocolate, and there was more of a burnt flavor than anything else. The mouthfeel isn't quite as thick as I was hoping from a good stout.

Not a bad beer, and definitely drinkable, but not one that I will order again.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)