Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Beautiful black liquid contrasted by a cream colored head towering about 1,5 inches. The aroma is earthy with a hint of roasted coffee and chocolate, however rather bland and weak. The taste is light but complex with a lot of grains and a hint of coffee, though I must say I felt a slightly metallic aftertaste which brings down the grade a notch.. It is smooth to the palate and makes a rather easy beer to drink, perfect session beer. Overall it is a great beer with some minor flaws, deeply recommended.

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Never had anything from Samuel Smith, but this particular brew has been on my list for quite a while. The name “Oatmeal Stout” is different, yes, and it definitely used to turn me off (I’m not a fan of oatmeal in the slightest). Now, however, I find it nothing less than intriguing.

A: This one pours a thick, syrupy black. There’s only the tiniest bit of light that’s getting through the body. The head is big and dark brown. Intimidating.

S: There’s a ton of sugar in the nose. Brown sugar and cinnamon – not surprising for oatmeal. Chocolate and the bitter hints of yeast.

T: There’s a nice dry breadiness that comes across the entire palate. Not as sweet as the nose, but I like that; it allows more of the mellow barley flavors to come out. The sweet is in the form of milky chocolate and wheaty banana. It’s a good blend of simple flavors, but it’s a bit bland at times. It’s smooth and balanced in a way that doesn’t let a whole lot of flavors emerge. Still, a nice sipper.

M: The flavors almost beg for this to be a thick drinker. Its syrupy look is quite contrary to the in-mouth texture. Just because it’s surprising, though, doesn’t mean it’s bad. In this case, it doesn’t serve the palate in the best way.

O: I really wanted to love this beer. Unfortunately, it had the elements I don’t like about oatmeal – improper texture and taste that, at times, is pretty bland. It’s not a bad beer, but it’s definitely not in my hall of fame.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

S: Rich milk chocolate with a prominent herbal note, subtle fruits.

L: Black with a light tan tight head, solid retention and lacing.

T: Rich toffee and chocolately sweetness yields to a medium low bitterness. Light roasty dryness ups the drinkability without too much sweetness. some subtle dark fruits as it warms.

m: Medium carbonation, medium full creamy body.

Just amazing, full rich flavors with enough bitterness and carbonation to keep it in check. Unbelievably smooth.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Wow. When I saw this priced at $3 a bottle, I figured "Eh, it's cheap, it can't be THAT good". I never knew I could be that wrong before (I really should've learned from Young's Double Chocolate that cheaper beer can be good beer)

Appearance:

Pitch black, thick, similar in color to tar. Just like a stout should be! The only reason it missed a perfect 5/5 is because it could be a shade lighter and it wouldn't hurt anything. 4.5/5

Smell:

I'm getting a nose full of... hmmm... prunes... and a hint of grape. Maybe a little bit of plum. Smell is incredibly inviting. 5/5

Taste:

Smooth, delicious, dry. That plum comes back strong and segues into a dry oatmeal style flavor. It cuts off the sweetness at just the right time to keep it from ruining the flavor. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel:

Thicker than average, but I would've liked it to be just a little tiny bit thicker. It needs to be almost chewy to make it perfect. 4/5

Overall:

WOW. For the price, I can only say that this beer is one of the better choices on the market. I'll be enjoying this for years to come. 4.5/5

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

How have I not had any Samuel Smith yet?? Crazy. Picked up at KJ Baarons.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a deep, darkdense black colour with nice thick two finger dark tan head that quickly faded to a mocha halo.

S - Typical oatmeal stout aromas here, roasty malts and oats with a faint coffee smell too. Oddly there are some dark fruit aromas as well.

T - Deep roasty malts with a light coffee and chocolate flavour. Again, those dark fruits make their odd appearance. Definately picking up on the milky taste/feel.

M - Creamy, yet still a slightly higher amount of carbonation keeps this from falling flat and always remain crisp not heavy.

O - Overall, this is a nice oatmeal stout. I can see why people enjoy this so much. Still though, the random dark fruit notes I kept getting kinda killed it for me.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Very dark ruby red or black with a khaki head and great retention. Sticks to the glass like a pro. Smells of milk or lactose and mocha.

Tastes are coffee and sweet malts, but with a milky coffee mouthfeel that kind of melts in your mouth. Very smooth beer with a pleasant coffee taste in the front and a little hop kick in the finish that totally balances out this beer perfectly.

I get the feeling that this is one of those quintessential stouts that may not be the best beer in the world, but one of those staples in the stout world, and I can certainly see why. This beer is more than solid; it's the embodiment of a stout.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - pitch black body under four fingers of dark tan/light brown frothy head; excellent lace; beautiful!

S - rich caramel and toasted malt; coffee; oats; nuts; a faint fruity note

T - roasted malt with caramel sweetness; bitter chocolate/coffee flavor balances this brew very well, especially in the creamy, bittersweet finish.

M - smooth and velvety; medium body with average carbonation; great mouthfeel!

O - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout got me addicted to craft beer. It looks beautiful in the glass, smells inviting, feels great on the tongue, and offers a very complex and well-balanced flavor. Worth every cent!

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A: deep dark brown with a nice light coffee hued head on top. able to see some light through it when held to light. great retention on the head.

S: rich with roast and coffee notes. however it does have a subtle smooth sweet maltiness to it. cocoa powder.

T: surprisingly simple stout body. more sweet than dry. the chocolate is gentle and smoothed out from the oats. a little bit of nuttiness.

M: medium body with a fairly soft carbonation. the smoothness is actually a bit too soft in my opinion.

D: i remember this one being way richer in the past. maybe it is just my palate, but something seems to be lacking. still a good oatmeal stout, but i like more body on mine!

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I stored this bottle in the fridge, but I let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before pouring it into a tulip-shaped snifter-style beer glass.

The beer gives a bountiful light tan head standing firmly over a deep, dark mahogany liquid. Nice gentle woodsy aroma. A little cocoa. Something else I can't quite put my finger on. Oats? Very subtle.

The taste is very smooth and creamy. Very rich and velvety mouthfeel. I taste nuts, raisins, toffee, sarsaparilla, cola, and a hint of vanilla. It's got a fair amount of sweetness to it, but there's enough bitterness to balance it out and remind you of what you're enjoying. This baby is smoooth. It doesn't bite at all. Unfortunately, the finish doesn't last all that long and you quickly want another sip.

I haven't had this beer since college, but it's just as I remembered it - very easy to drink. When I'm in the mood for stout, I usually go for something more substantial, but this is still one delicious brew. It's very satisfying without being heavy or overwhelming.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

This is one of the first craft beers I ever bought. I have been sitting on this for over two years.

Appearance – Pours into my glass with a dark chocolate, semi see-through color. About a finger and a half of dark tan head is achieved that dissipates at a moderate pace leaving nice lacing.

Smell – Lots of chocolate, oats, barley slight vanilla, maple/caramel, and dark fruits such as raisin.

Taste – I was expecting the flavor to be a hint more sweet from the aroma. Bittersweet cocoa, rich roasted malts, slight licorice and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel – Medium to a hint lighter bodied. Slightly creamy yet still, as stated, a bit lighter mouthfeel.

Overall – A good rendition of the style, though honestly I probably wouldn’t get it again. Crazy I have held on to this as long as I have.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Pours a dark drown with 2 finger fluffy tan head. Sticky lacing thoughout

S-Has a nice strong coffee smell wit some hints of vanilla and raisin in there. No oatmeal smell really

T-Bam, hints you with a nice coffee taste right at the beginning followed by some nice sweet chocolate notes, Near the end i get the oatmeal flavor and thickness or chewyness of oatmeal. its great

M-Medium Body with decent carbonation

D-Overall this is a very drinkable beer. Love that the smell is not overpowering of oatmeal but you def. still catch that taste when you drink it. Any body that loves beer and coffee will love this beer. Great beer samuel Smiths, Well Done

A - Pours a dark brown with a puffy, 3 finger, tan head. Leaves a ton of thick, sticky lacing

S - Smells of dark fruits, raisins, and oats. Faints hints of chocolate and mocha.

T - No taste is too strong. Nice notes of bitter chocolate, dark fruits, oatmeal, toffee, and even a hint of vanilla, quite nice.

M - Almost silky. It's got some body, but it's quite smooth. Leaves the throat a bit dry.

Overall - I thought it was a pretty good beer. It was unoffensive, so it was good, but at the same time, it left me wanting a bit. But it was very solid. I think this would be a great beer to introduce to new beer drinkers to stouts and particularly, oatmeal stouts.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Just stopped by East Milton Liquors to try something different and grabbed this and West Coast's Imperial Stout. Going to be smooth and chill night.

Appearance: The beer poured a one finger off yellow head and the color is pitch black. Leaves lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: I can smell some chocolate and the roasted aromas produced from the malt.

Taste: Delicious. This beer has a nice blend to it. It is smooth and silky. You got hints of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, a little oatmeal, and a little vanilla. It all mixes well with each other and make me want to take another sip.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a little bit of carbonation. It went down smooth and finished dry. So good, I took many more sips to let it wander.

Overall: I have had this beer before and would purchase it again. Very easy to drink and would buy another bottle or order it on draft if it were ever available. Sammy Smith has been around for hundreds of years ans this is a good staple from their beer selection. I am happy I bought it tonight.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This is something different...I poured it into a pint glass. Black with tan head. Leaves lacing.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but this beer is silky smooth yet thick and creamy. Very nice.

Smell: Molasses and faint chocolate. Not too strong.

I'm having a tough time pinning down the taste. Good roasted malt flavor, some dark chocolate and molasses. There's some bitter herbal quality.

Quite complex. I enjoyed the change from other stouts (non-oatmeal), even if I struggled to identify it completely.

2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

A: It pours dark brown with a substantial foamy head. It looks very creamy with fine bubbles...almost indistinguishable.

S: It smells slightly yeasty but very metallic. I noticed at the end of the bottle, a little more character came out (malty scent and a little bit of vanilla).

T: It tastes like a mellow stout, light on bitterness and slightly roasted. There's a slight vanilla flavor.

M: It's dry and has a little sting to it. I was surprised it's not as smooth as it looks in the glass.

O: Overall it wasn't bad, it's a very non-distinct stout which is pleasant. I wish it had better character in the scent because it really detracts from the overall appeal getting a nose full of metal when drinking. At the end of the bottle the scent got much better.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Oatmeal Stout pours a dense looking dark walnut brown color that only lets light penetrate through when I tip the snifter and hold it up to a light. The head is a thing of beauty with its latte’ color, creamy texture and excellent retention. Lacing is also quite good, leaving plenty of foam art on the sides of my glass.

The aroma is strikingly fruity with a nice raisin character that hits the nose first before the more stout like chocolaty and slightly roasty notes come through. Oats also play a pretty major role in the nose with their hearty aroma showing much more than in most oatmeal stouts I have had.

The flavor is still quite fruity with a definite sweet character to it and some raisin notes, but it has a bit more of a roasty bite to it. Bitter cocoa and some coffee notes blend well with the fruity character, some toffee and a nice molasses sweetness. This stout is far from in your face and all the flavors meld together well, offering up a very enjoyable drinking experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than I had expected after seeing how thick the beer looked. It is squarely medium but has an amazingly silky texture that makes this a joy to imbibe. The finish is slightly fruity and chocolaty with a definite sweetness lingering.

I had this beer once a long time ago and remembered being a bit disappointed. While not as roasty as I tend to like my stouts, this is a very tasty beer that was super drinkable and had some great flavors to it. It is a must try, as well as a beer that I will most certainly revisit in the future.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from bottle into my favorite tulip glass. My first Samuel Smith brew, and surely one to be remembered.

A: completely opaque with a sticky tan-colored head. Great lacing.

S: Undeniably English. Roasted oats, raisins, molasses, and an earthy, herbal, almost floral sweetness.

T: Dark roasted malt, molasses, some chocolate, and a big helping of sweet, fruity, estery English yeasty goodness and a slight earthiness. Finishes a little tart with a full, round sweetness balanced lightly by a weak bitterness.

M: "Light" for its jet-black color and oh-so-smooth. Light carbonation keeps it slick and velvety. Lovely.

O: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a classic and is definitely like tasting a little bit of history (especially considering this beer was reintroduced nearly a decade before I was born!) I personally prefer the American Oatmeal stouts (there's something about genuine English beers that are cloying to me - their unmistakable flavor profile gets old quickly to me for some reason) - maybe American beers are just a bit "crisper" or "cleaner." Whatever it may be, I'm happy to try the Oatmeal Stout By Which All Others Are Measured, and I'm sure I'll revisit it someday, but for now I think I'll stick to the American versions.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance pours a deepest amber-red, almost black with 2 fingers of bubbly, chocolate-tan head that lasts a little while and leaves some decent lacing.

Smell. Roasty oats and malt with a little cocoa and a hint of herbal hops.

Taste. Roasty malt, a little chocolate and coffee. Just a little sweetness and bitterness. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel. Lighter-medium body, good carbonation. Great.

Overall. Pretty much the benchmark for oatmeal stouts. Nothing really fancy here, just a very well-crafted beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Deep brown near black colour, slight off white head, light lace spots. Smell is of roasted malt, coffee, faint alcohol and subtle chocolate notes, there is also a metallic presence that is there. Taste is of roasted malt and coffee initially, a light chocolate and mild acidity show up after that, there is also a light astringency in there. Good mouthfeel light creamy feel, medium carbonation. Drinks pretty good overall, not my favorite but quite a solid effort that is worth trying or revisiting.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark brown almost black topped with a thick tan head. Head fades slowly to a cap and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

S- Roasted malt, toffee, wood char, and molasses.

T- Roasted malt at first with a lot of earthy undertones that carry on throughout until the finish, which is dry and biting with a slightly acidic quality. As it warms the oats becomes more of a standout on the palate and a smoky peat moss and tobacco quality becomes more noticeable in the undertones.

M- Creamy and silky, very smooth and full bodied, the carbonation is low as expected.

D- Very drinkable and at 5% ABV you could try to session this one, it is a meal in itself though.

Excellent oatmeal stout and one of my favorites.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance:Tan-Chocolate Nice Big Head, Deep Deep Brown Color, Great Lacing.

Nose: Bannana, Nutmeg, Clove, Light Roasty.

Taste: A nice fullness, pretty smooth, get that bannana with an interesting flavor I couldn't put my finger on chalking it up to oatmeal. Mid quickly goes into finish. Mid had a black berry like taste to me, finish had a nice sweet then hoppy finish.

Final Thoughts: Good Stuff. It's suppose to be pretty much baseline oatmeal stout, and I can see why.

Food Pairing:Pork any style, Mild Lamb Dishes, Yellow and other lighter flavored cakes, Mellow Chicken dishes, Cream based Sauces, Strong Pastas like Putanesca.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer yet but here we go. Great looking stout especially considering this is only 5% ABV. Black in color and absorbing all light. A large fluffy tan head, sticky and resinous in retention and lacing.

Light coffee, chocolate, roasted barley, oat, blackberry and prune aromas with a earthy ester at the end.

So soft and smooth in the middle and finish, just amazing mouthfeel. Thick and creamy and delicious. Velvety on the tongue from the oats. Medium roast with coffee and dark chocolate dominating the middle. Black figs, and raising, unmalted barley, earthy resinous hops on the long droning finish. A bit leathery and hints of tobacco. Great beer.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A : pours black with a ton of soft, pillowy thick tan head. Dark brown edges makes this guy look malty and inviting. Rings the edges the entire beer.

S : starts with a slight skunkish smell. Hope it's not old! Chocolate and Almost caramel scent.

T : no skunk! Starts watery for half the beer, then a bittersweet chocolate and smooth finish. The oatmeal isn't big and chewy but leads the mothfeel instead. The finish is sweet and pops a bit from the carbonation. There is a very small hint of smokey vanilla towards the very end.

M : the effervescence seems a little high for a stout, but it carries the second half of the beer's flavor through so nicely. The oatmeal also helps the feel.

D : I can drink it forever and ever...

A great beer that is drinkable and delicious!

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head with largish bubbles. A bit of lacing but not a ton.

S- It's a really great smell that's a little hard to describe. A dark sweetness with notes of toffee, molasses, dark maple syrup. Some licorice, spiced rum with cinnamon and bourbony vanilla. Really nice and strong and complex.

T- The taste isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma. There's some raisin, wood smoke, rye bread. Much more of a char character like an astringent Baltic porter compared to the sweet smell which resembled more of an Impy stout.

M- Good carbonation level. It's a scoatch syrupy but not very much.

O- A great smelling beer that really changes flavors with the taste. I don't get the "slimy" aspect of oats that's often mentioned so I'm not sure if this can really be the benchmark, but still delicious and enjoyable.

Poured into pint glass 12 ounce bottle.

Appearance - 2 finger brown head jet black thin lacing.

Smell - Dark malts with coffee, chocolate in the back end.

Taste - Same as the smell, dark roasted malts with coffee in the middle and chocolate on the finish. Not bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - The oats in this make in so smooth and silky its unreal no bite to it but I for one hate that in a stout.

Overall - I can't find anything wrong with this beer the craftsmanship is outstanding go grab one and see for yourself.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)