Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased from Total Wine in Columbia, SC.

Pours an opaque very, very dark brown with a billowy smooth tan head that quickly dissipates to a fine line.

Smell is of toasted malts and chocolate. Nice roasty character.

Tastes of coffee and chocolate...nicely roasted. Leaves a very slight bitter aftertaste, which is nicely complimented by the roasty flavor and balances out nicely.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Nice carbonation. The dry finish sets up perfectly for another sip. Very drinkable.

01-10-2009 03:55:53 | More by Gyle41386
AdmiralDiaz

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Extremely dark brown that can barely be noticed on the sides of what looks to be a solid black stout. Very nice light brown two-finger head with little retention and not much lacing.

S: Very malty smell with a hint of chocolate and nuts. Not too much going on and not very bold smelling.

T: Very sweet and malty with hints of roasted barely and traces of chocolate in the finish, which becomes more noticeable as the drink goes on. Small amount of bitterness overall but still leaning heavily towards the sweeter side. No traces of alcohol whatsoever.

Overall a great stout that is inexpensive and highly drinkable. I can't say it's anything super amazing but I will pick up more.

01-09-2009 06:32:35 | More by AdmiralDiaz
thain709

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Very dark...basically black...tan head forms then settles into a ring which leads to lacing down the glass

S - I get a nice chocolate smell...but not overpowering...some roasted malts

T - Lots of coffee and chocolate right off the bat...settled into a strange aftertaste that lead me to want more

M - Full...smooth and creamy

D - A great oatmeal stout...glad I finally got to try this...I'll be breaking this out on special occasions

01-08-2009 22:22:51 | More by thain709
cagocubs

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured very dark. Black with burgundy highlights when held to light. Beige head that stuck around for a short time.

S: First impression was cocoaish and toasty malts. Other hints of flavors are present like coffee and nut.

T: I love oatmeal stouts and found Sam Smiths very tasty but short of leaving a complex aftertaste that I expected from the smell and appearance. Sweet, roasted and toasty taste.

M: Smooth with good carbonation. Creamy mouthful.

D: Easy to drink with great taste and decent aftertaste.

I was expecting this to dominate other Oatmeal stouts I like but found for the price I will stick to cheaper os althought this is a great beer.

01-08-2009 18:53:17 | More by cagocubs
natasharai

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with 1-2 fingers of tan head that dissipated quickly, black in color, with some nice lacing

Smell: I first notice a nutty malty smell followed by a strong chocolate smell

Taste: Initially very malty and sweet, followed by nutty flavors, then balanced out with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thick bodied, lightly carbonated with small bubbles

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but I tend to drink most stouts pretty easily.

Overall: A good oatmeal stout, but for the price not something special enough to keep on hand all the time. NOTE: smell improves greatly as it warms up.

01-08-2009 01:03:43 | More by natasharai
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I bought a whole gift pack for this beast, so the hope was that it would live up to potential...

At first glance the pour is black, but when held up to the light some red is visible at the edges. The tan head is prolific and laces majestically. Some berry in the chocolate and light roast dominated aroma. Quite complex flavours - chocolate and coffee are present (as expected), but there's also a pleasant fruitiness and nuttiness. Perhaps a tad too sweet though? Nice smooth mouthfeel with a small amount of carbonation.

Yep, it was a good call, this is an awesome stout.

01-07-2009 17:03:42 | More by bobsy
RedBaron

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

I really should be sending out resumes in light of a potential lay-off, but I thought, "what the heck, time for a beer first!" And, oh boy, what a beer! I've had this beer "resting" in my bungalow basement at about 59F for the past 3 weeks. Time to wake her up...

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque with some ruby tones if held up against a light. Brownish/creamy head that held up well.
Smell: complex roasted aromas combined with perhaps a touch of licorice or anise. I'm guessing the yeast strain is also helping out with some good aromas - wonderful to be sure.
Taste: Fantastic! A great combination of some bitterness from the hops plus light bitterness from the roasted barely. Of course, being that this beer is uniquely fermented in that famous slate, there is certainly a mineral component that is absolutely beautiful, especially in the mix of all this.
Mouthfeel: Silky smooth through and through, attributed to those oats I'm sure. Finishes just a tad dry, which makes me want more!
Drinkabilty: Oh, why didn't I buy more than just this 20oz. bomber? It's been years since I've had this great beer. I guess since it has resided on so many good beer shelves across America for so long now, I've tended to take it for granted. But, I'm hear to sing the renewed praises (if they needed to be sung again anyway) for this special stout. It is truly unique, and such a pleasure to have. It won't be too long before I buy another bomber.

01-06-2009 23:53:02 | More by RedBaron
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber.

The pour is very dark brown-black with a nice tan head. Decent lacing is apparent just from the head recession.

The nose is of malts, oatmeal, coffee and chocolate with just a hint of a citric flavour. The taste is of the coffee and chocolate with just a slight bitterness on the finish.

The mouthfeel is full with some carbonation. It goes down very smoothly, often more quickly than I want. That leads to high drinkability and makes me glad that I have half a bottle left.

I will revisit this, but the cost means that there will be long waits between visits.

01-04-2009 18:34:13 | More by CityBoy1986
popery

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Nice, dry oatmeal stout. Really, I was hoping that I would like it more on this go round. It's not bad or anything. I just probably won't ever buy one again. Of Sam Smith's lineup, I've only loved the Taddy Porter. I appreciate most of their beers, but I often end up feeling a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. This beer is a dry stout with a full, smooth feel. It's dark, nearly black with brown highlights at the extreme edges. The head is beige and leaves some lacing. The aroma is chocolate malt with that dry note that I usually associate with Irish Dry Stouts (oh, Guinness...). The mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's the best part of the beer. Good beer but not great. (My girlfriend demands that I write down her note of "baconey.")

01-03-2009 06:26:35 | More by popery
TypeSJess

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

pours very dark with a short tannish brown head. smell is slight of roasted oats. fantastic semi-sweet chocolate/caramel taste with a slight hint of fig?/raisin?/date? very smooth mouthfeel. definitely inviting to drink more to discover all the flavors.

01-03-2009 00:50:36 | More by TypeSJess
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Very black pour, like a black hole with just the slightest hint of a tan head reminding us that there's life out there somewhere. Extremely roasty mouthfeel that warms the palate and the belly as it slides on down. This beer just makes a guy feel loved and at home with the world. Superb.

01-01-2009 00:17:16 | More by Wackyfoot
jazztoloc

Mexico

12 oz. dark bottle with the golden foil on top. Could not find a freshness date or an ABV sign.

A: Very dark with some tones of red when some light hits the glass. Light brown and creamy looking head. Beautiful light lacing on my pint.

S: Smells wonderful! Very light sugar cane . Chocolate and coffee. Very delicate but consistent.

T: Hints of coffee and chocolate. Nice acidity and bitterness mixed with the expected sweetness. 12 oz isn't enough for my paladate, after the last sip, you wish you could have at least 4 more (sips). Delicate is a word to describe the experience, this must be what earth's blood's could taste like (and now I feel like a poet...well, love to beer could do this to you, I guess!).

M: Nice body, oily, silky...I don't want to let go.

D: I think this beer could relate to any palate. Yes sir, I could drink this Day and Night...Night and Day!

12-31-2008 23:03:31 | More by jazztoloc
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A- Frothy finger and a half head, nearly pitch black with a hint of ruby around the edges.

S- Sweet grainy nose with hints of chocolate and coffee.

T- Chocolatly malt sweetness with mellow roasted notes dominates followed by a subtle yet profound sweetness at mid point. Finishes mellow and smooth, reminiscent of mocha.

M- Smooth as a baby's ass.

D- Something this smooth goes down real easy.

Truly fantastic, be sure to try this if you haven't already.

12-30-2008 20:58:17 | More by Pauly2X
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured out of a 550ml bottle into a Samuel Smith's pint glass. Dark black body with a half-inch tan head and thorough, sugary lacing all throughout the glass. A perfect looking stout. Smell is sweet nuts, faint hop aroma, and oatmeal. Taste is roasted malt, piny hops, black licorice, leather, toasted oats, and a charred, bitter hop aftertaste that hangs around for a while. Velvety, silky mouthfeel has a crisp, dry finish. One of the smoothest beers I've ever tasted. Impressive. Overall, there are better oatmeal stouts out there (St Ambroise, Southern Tier) but this is still a great beer.

12-28-2008 21:24:09 | More by cratez
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Mocha head sits on top of a black pour. No light passes through the snifter.

S: Roasted malts, caramel, coffee and chocolate come through

T: Sweet roasted malts come through up front, almost buttery, chocolate, coffee and caramel flavoring to finish.

M: Full body, medium carbonation. Very little alcohol detected. Rather viscous, coats the tongue well.

D: Very tasty, could drink a lot of this.

12-28-2008 00:46:15 | More by jiggahertz
TheFightfan1

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours black with no visibility, with a caramel heading,leaves a beautiful caramel lacing. Smells of mollases and roasted coffee beans,and hint's of honey. Taste bready with hint's of chocolate and caramel. A very smooth watery mouthful that goes down very smoothly. So far this has been the best stout I have tasted.

12-27-2008 20:46:29 | More by TheFightfan1
TMB0424

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Bomber poured into pint glass.

Pours a jet, ink black body with a great coffee colored head that holds well. Tiny bit of light seeps through when held to the light. Good looking.

Smells of sweet malts, splash of honey, molasses, roasted coffee. Very complex, but it's very soft and extremely well blended. Smells absolutely awesome.

Brew starts off with a wave of sweetness (honey, molasses) followed by a nice roasted coffee bean flavor, then it finishes with an outstanding oatmeal blast with a dash of hops that balances the sweetness in the beginning. Outstanding.

The beer is medium/full bodied on the palate with a chewy, rich, yet smooth mouthfeel. It goes down extremely well, which I kind of expected from its low ABV, but either way it's a great oatmeal stout. Top of the line.

12-27-2008 16:39:29 | More by TMB0424
Bootscraper

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

This particular beer was recommended to me at another forum, and I do not regret picking one up whatsoever.
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass, listening to Jesu- "Why Are We Not Perfect?". I am wondering why this beer isn't perfect, because it comes damn-close. Here was my humble thoughts:
Upon pouring, a very creamy, frothy, tan head a few inches in length arose to meet the top of the glass. This was very pleasing, considering that I presume this brew has very low carbonation. It sat in my glass BLACK. There was some slight deep red tendencies bouncing off my glass when I held it up to the light, but this beer is quite opaque. After a good 10 minutes, the head got down to about 1 cm, and stayed that way until it met the bottom of my glass. I was kinda disappointed in the lacing though, as there wasn't much of any at all.
Poking my nose in the glass gave me a very rich smell of a sweet loaf of bread. The sweetness was composed from nut to molasses, and vanilla to honey ranges. Pleasantly subtle, I might add as well.
The taste was pretty much the same as the smell, but now working in hand with the signature stout "roasted" flavor. It's not quite "burnt" hops either, which would usually come across too harsh in other more common stouts. Rather, it's present more as a coffee flavor... one that comes alive a little bit during the finish. I found slight hints of savory caramel throughout each sip as well. Not much in the way of an after-taste. Pretty damn-well balanced this beer is though, even if there is nothing extravagant going on.
It's medium-bodied once it was in the mouth, and it was smooth as silk. Seriously, this is the quickest beer I have consumed so far for a review, and I could easily move through some of this like water on a hot summer day. That is quite remarkable, considering it's other stout qualities (I may have found my new favorite beer!). My only discrepancy, I suppose, was that I wish they could make this beer how it is, but with a stickier mouth-feel. No, it certainly is not a Miller Lite, but it came across as a bit thin for a beer of this caliber.
Skip the pretzels, go straight for snackin' on some oatmeal chocolate cookies when enjoying one of these!

12-27-2008 02:36:40 | More by Bootscraper
ssam

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

A-deep dark color, not totally black but pretty black. perfect sized head but the dark tan ole thing didnt stay long

S- sweet smell of honey and very bready

T- YUM- that oatmeal characteristic lives up to its good reputation. my criticism is that it should have more oatmeally goodness

M-i love the oatmeal smoothness

D- gotta say, this one lived up to my expectations. but i think i can find better representations of the style. REALLY good though

12-25-2008 21:10:56 | More by ssam
Gish

South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - A beautiful inky black with a tan head with good retention

S - bread and honey

T - Just like it smells, bready with a bit of sweetness. A bit of bitterness comes out to keep it well balanced.

M - smooth and creamy, slight carbonation bite

D - incredibly tasty and easy to drink, highly recommended

An enjoyable experience. Sets the standard for oatmeal stouts in my opinion. You can't go wrong with Sammy Smith's!

12-25-2008 05:45:40 | More by Gish
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours almost black colour with huge tan head. Good looking stout. Good retention.
Smell - sour, bready, has some unpleasant notes.
Taste - bready with some raisin notes, some chocolaty malts. Much better than aroma.
Smooth, well balanced. Decent oatmeal stout, still pretty drinkable. I'd have it again.
Thanks a lot to jac5084 for this one.

12-23-2008 04:29:58 | More by Voonder
hockeyblades

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

appearance- light black very little head
smell- roasted malts and coffee
taste- the first sip is filled with chocolate malts accompanied by caramel malts. the aftertaste is a a bit astringent but overall an evenly balanced beer
mouthfeel- a good amount of carbonation and somewhat thick
drinkability- a lot of flavor that comes together i could definately sip on this beer all night long.

12-22-2008 20:54:34 | More by hockeyblades
katan

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a moderately opaque black color. Head formation is very strong, and is mocha colored. Head is well retained.

S - Light in smell - at best i can detect some of the roasted malts and a yeasty scent.

T - Starts off with a mostly sweet flavor, not that balanced. Mid-stream is more of the same, with some bitterness forming. Finishes with more of the trademark oatmeal astringency that I come to love w/ this flavor of beer. There is some of that acidity that I've seen in this style before that is not necessarily pleasant.

M - Moderate body - light for today's stout. Carbonation that was obvious in the appearance isn't as much in the mouthfeel. Little residue from the beer.

D - Easy to drink - ABV is not high for the beer style. Not overly filling by any means. Flavors are muted, so it wouldn't become a wear on the tongue. Only knock here is the existence of that acidity that just doesn't go well over a session.

12-20-2008 22:06:30 | More by katan
LilBeerDoctor

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

Reviewed on 6/15/08. Bottle. Pours a dark black with a very nice, thick tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, roast, coffee. Flavor is super sweet, with lots of oatmeal, and some roasted malts. The first time I had this I really enjoyed it, but this time I found it too artificially sweet. Ok beer, but I'm not impressed. Palate is a little watery too.
7/4/7/3/13 (3.4/5)

12-20-2008 15:58:50 | More by LilBeerDoctor
yesyouam

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

The Celebrated Oatmeal Stout is a deep, barely translucent, aubergine-colored ale topped with a huge, dry frothy head that looks the color of cinnamon sugar. The retention and lacing are tenacious. The aroma is of warm cookies, soft, sweet herbs and roasted malt. It's very soft and even. A soft, heavy texture slides down the throat. Despite the rich, sweet flavor of this, the tongue is left a bit dry. The first flavor is sugar and caramel. Then comes an herbal element that is somewhere between fennel and tarragon; perhaps licorice. The lengthy and marked aftertaste is of chocolate malt. Yes, there is a reason this is an old favorite. They sure can make stouts in England.
(rated Jul 23, 2007)

12-20-2008 03:52:03 | More by yesyouam
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)