Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I cracked this one open, and so this truly wondrous product definitely caught me by surprise. A dark dark pour with a nice creamy head and significant lacing, looks very appealing. The taste here was truly exceptional - oatmeal as the name would suggest, but a great balance of coffee and chocolate flavors with intricate complexity and not too dry. The best oatmeal stout I have sampled. Highly recommended.

tconboy, Jan 20, 2009

Pres: Comes in a 4 pack. The gold foil is cool. First time I tried this beer, I unwrapped the foil by hand. It was tedious. Next time, I just opened the bottle normally, and the foil cut off perfectly. Bottle poured into a mug.

App: Black, brown hue when held up to light, great head, lots of lacing.

Smell: Very complex and interesting malty/bready.

Taste: Very smooth mouthfeel. Complex. I tasted coffee, caramel, creaminess.

Note: I loved this beer! I've been looking for it for a while, and it's been sold out, so I was excited when I finally found it. I wanted to try it based on the great ratings I've seen. I'd love to go to the brewery in England for a try.

tharper178, Jan 20, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Another excellent stout from Samuel Smith. Poured dark with an off-white head. Very earthy, roasty nose. Taste is full of creamy roast/chocolate. Simply felt amazing on the tongue. It glides all over the mouth, almost begging to linger. This is an excellent stout.

youngblood, Jan 20, 2009

Served from a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

Solid look to this beer, pouring a deep and dark brown (pretty close to black). The light beige head was about one-finger size, with lacing reminiscent of soapy water.

Definite oatmeal in the front of the nose, which is good. Hints of sweet malt and dark chocolate. The non-oatmeal scents were sort of muted.

Toasty, sweet malt flavor domination. Good amount of oat flavor. Finishes with a slight wash of dark chocolate sweetness.

Great feel; this beer is very creamy without being too rich or (Heaven forbid) syrupy. This is sessionable if one is so inclined; I could drink this all night.

A very good stout. Not my favorite by any means, but a good, tasty example of the style.

Reaper16, Jan 19, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 450ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown/black with a decent head that slipped down into the brew pretty quickly.

S: Molasses/brown sugar, oats, and some coffee notes as well.

T/MF: Full stout flavor, the sweetness follows that molasses aroma, full-bodied and rich. The oats add some body as well, lending it a starchy (not negative; think comfort food) mouthfeel.

D: Very drinkable, and with low ABV, could have tucked in to this one for the duration. But there were other beers to drink. :)

jimsimply, Jan 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 450ml bottle into a pint glass producing a beige colored 1/2" head that laces the glass quite well as I drink. The color is deep deep brown/black. Excellent after dinner beer with the rich creamy flavor of roasted toffee and oats. Alcohol is balanced perfectly. This beer is rich in flavor and goes down very smoothly. This is an outstanding example of and oatmeal stout. Smells just like it tastes. Toffee and oats. I love this beer. Mouthfeel is perfect for a stout. Drinkability is good. Yummy

hoppheadIPA, Jan 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 1pt bottle into a glass pint.

The color is A very deep dark black with a light brown foamy head.

The smell is of chocolate, a little toffee and roasted malts

The taste is smooth, creamy, a malty flavor is very deep in the background with a toffee tone.

This beer is quite smooth. Goes down real nice and is one the best stouts I've had. The overall feel is strong but does not overpower.

Duhast500, Jan 17, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: Poured dark mahogany, almost black but hints of brown came through as it was held up to light. Minimal chocolate brown head that dissipated very quickly. Left minimal lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, hints of coffee and chocolate, and some kind of unidentifiable sweetness. Not bad, but nothing spectacular.

Taste: Smooth, and the roasted malts are definitely evident. There's also an odd aftertaste, almost an astringency. I would have thought it was just my bottle, but I've noticed other reviewers having noticed a 'chemical' taste. It's definitely a good tasting beer, but there's that little something in the background that tastes a little off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. A little too highly carbonated, but that's the only real downside. Nice and creamy, the way I like my stouts.

Drinkability: It's smoothness made this easy to put down. Only a slight bitterness at the end. That being said, the odd chemical/astringent taste remained throughout the entire beer. I enjoyed it, but I likely won't seek it out again.

StarlightSeraph, Jan 16, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours dark with a very thick puffy tan head.

Smell has a strong berry presence. Also get a nutty smell.

The first few tastes off of this one gives a metallic flavor off the head. Once I break though that I get the same berry taste that I smelled, almost like a grape soda. This is very smooth beer with no bite what so ever. Now as the beer settles I am getting a nutty flavor. I also pick up a grape taste. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth and this one is an easy drinker that goes down nice and smooth.

brewintheLou, Jan 16, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 550ml bottle, an opaque dark brown-black with rocky tan head that fades after a minute. Smell: rich roasted and milk chocolate, brown sugar, a touch of earthiness and butterscotch. Taste: sweet with milk and semi-sweet chocolate, caramel, slight dark fruit and diacetyl. Fairly rich and sweet but balanced by the drying character and a touch of earthy hops. Velvety smooth and fairly complex for the style, with a notched up abv this would be really impressive.

babaracas, Jan 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

550 ml bottle poured to a standard pint glass

appearance: Black with 1-2 finger cappuccino colored head

smell: Sweet, milky with coffee/chocolate undertones

Taste: Mix of milk chocolate with hints of caramel and dextrose, you can definitively taste the malty oats

Mouthfeel: Smooth as chocolate milk but a slightly lighter body

Drinkability: Easy as they come, there's no alcohol or any bite to this, perfect session stout

Notes: This has to be the classic oatmeal stout, once again samuel smith elegantly sets the bar for a style, there are no crazy undertones or bells and whistles with this beer, just classic stout.

BigIrishman, Jan 14, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Very black color with about 1" head.

The taste is just awesome. I didn't think that stouts were my favorite beers, but this could come close. If they have beer in heaven, this one will be on tap. I got two of the 1 pint bottles, one for me, and one for my partner, and we both wish we had gotten more. I know where to get them for the future though.

The drinkability is just great too. The only problem is that it costs a bit much for everyday. I think I'll just save this one for special occasions.

showell, Jan 13, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours black in color. Nice sized head with a lace that will not fade.Aroma of oatmeal,some malts,vanilla and a hint of cocoa.
The taste started off sweet with a hint of roasted malts. Cocoa tones and some mild bitterness.
The feel was medium carbonation and a full body. Smooth and creamy with a touch of wood in the finish.

Notes: This was quite a brew. The balance was near perfect,so tasty and filling. No letdowns here,simply a smooth and creamy treat.

Lexluthor33, Jan 12, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a simple black, brown around the edges, letting in some light. minimal head that fades to a lingering film. Smells a little nutty and crisp. Flavor is downright amazing. nutty, oaty, and a very nice twang of alcohol hidden in the crispness. Plays around in the mouth, sucks to the top of the palate. That and it's chewy as a shitty hotel's continental breakfast oatmeal, which i think is superb. Goes beyond body into meatiness.

They are the original and the best for a reason.

Pamola, Jan 10, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Solid dark brown body with a persistent light brown head. Big aroma of roasted malts and rich dark chocolate. Palate is big roasted flavors like the aroma. Only problem is that the finish is a little flat, some more hop presence is in order. I also think the beer is a little under alcoholed. The malt flavors are too strong and especially given the limited hoppiness, could use a psuh in the ABV to balance it out. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a tingling carbonation.

This is a very good traditional Oatmeal Stout. Its a great example of the style, but not terribly complex. Problem with this beer is simply that it is what it is. Stouts have come a long way in the last decade, and this beer is somewhat left behind.

Some may feel that this beer has retained its greatness, and I agree to a degree that it is still a fantastic example of the style, but given the stout competition, I cannot say this is a beer for which I am going to rush back.

TheDoorman, Jan 10, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased from Total Wine in Columbia, SC.

Pours an opaque very, very dark brown with a billowy smooth tan head that quickly dissipates to a fine line.

Smell is of toasted malts and chocolate. Nice roasty character.

Tastes of coffee and chocolate...nicely roasted. Leaves a very slight bitter aftertaste, which is nicely complimented by the roasty flavor and balances out nicely.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Nice carbonation. The dry finish sets up perfectly for another sip. Very drinkable.

Gyle41386, Jan 10, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Extremely dark brown that can barely be noticed on the sides of what looks to be a solid black stout. Very nice light brown two-finger head with little retention and not much lacing.

S: Very malty smell with a hint of chocolate and nuts. Not too much going on and not very bold smelling.

T: Very sweet and malty with hints of roasted barely and traces of chocolate in the finish, which becomes more noticeable as the drink goes on. Small amount of bitterness overall but still leaning heavily towards the sweeter side. No traces of alcohol whatsoever.

Overall a great stout that is inexpensive and highly drinkable. I can't say it's anything super amazing but I will pick up more.

AdmiralDiaz, Jan 09, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Very dark...basically black...tan head forms then settles into a ring which leads to lacing down the glass

S - I get a nice chocolate smell...but not overpowering...some roasted malts

T - Lots of coffee and chocolate right off the bat...settled into a strange aftertaste that lead me to want more

M - Full...smooth and creamy

D - A great oatmeal stout...glad I finally got to try this...I'll be breaking this out on special occasions

thain709, Jan 08, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured very dark. Black with burgundy highlights when held to light. Beige head that stuck around for a short time.

S: First impression was cocoaish and toasty malts. Other hints of flavors are present like coffee and nut.

T: I love oatmeal stouts and found Sam Smiths very tasty but short of leaving a complex aftertaste that I expected from the smell and appearance. Sweet, roasted and toasty taste.

M: Smooth with good carbonation. Creamy mouthful.

D: Easy to drink with great taste and decent aftertaste.

I was expecting this to dominate other Oatmeal stouts I like but found for the price I will stick to cheaper os althought this is a great beer.

cagocubs, Jan 08, 2009
4.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with 1-2 fingers of tan head that dissipated quickly, black in color, with some nice lacing

Smell: I first notice a nutty malty smell followed by a strong chocolate smell

Taste: Initially very malty and sweet, followed by nutty flavors, then balanced out with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thick bodied, lightly carbonated with small bubbles

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but I tend to drink most stouts pretty easily.

Overall: A good oatmeal stout, but for the price not something special enough to keep on hand all the time. NOTE: smell improves greatly as it warms up.

natasharai, Jan 08, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I bought a whole gift pack for this beast, so the hope was that it would live up to potential...

At first glance the pour is black, but when held up to the light some red is visible at the edges. The tan head is prolific and laces majestically. Some berry in the chocolate and light roast dominated aroma. Quite complex flavours - chocolate and coffee are present (as expected), but there's also a pleasant fruitiness and nuttiness. Perhaps a tad too sweet though? Nice smooth mouthfeel with a small amount of carbonation.

Yep, it was a good call, this is an awesome stout.

bobsy, Jan 07, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really should be sending out resumes in light of a potential lay-off, but I thought, "what the heck, time for a beer first!" And, oh boy, what a beer! I've had this beer "resting" in my bungalow basement at about 59F for the past 3 weeks. Time to wake her up...

Appearance: Very dark, nearly opaque with some ruby tones if held up against a light. Brownish/creamy head that held up well.
Smell: complex roasted aromas combined with perhaps a touch of licorice or anise. I'm guessing the yeast strain is also helping out with some good aromas - wonderful to be sure.
Taste: Fantastic! A great combination of some bitterness from the hops plus light bitterness from the roasted barely. Of course, being that this beer is uniquely fermented in that famous slate, there is certainly a mineral component that is absolutely beautiful, especially in the mix of all this.
Mouthfeel: Silky smooth through and through, attributed to those oats I'm sure. Finishes just a tad dry, which makes me want more!
Drinkabilty: Oh, why didn't I buy more than just this 20oz. bomber? It's been years since I've had this great beer. I guess since it has resided on so many good beer shelves across America for so long now, I've tended to take it for granted. But, I'm hear to sing the renewed praises (if they needed to be sung again anyway) for this special stout. It is truly unique, and such a pleasure to have. It won't be too long before I buy another bomber.

RedBaron, Jan 06, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber.

The pour is very dark brown-black with a nice tan head. Decent lacing is apparent just from the head recession.

The nose is of malts, oatmeal, coffee and chocolate with just a hint of a citric flavour. The taste is of the coffee and chocolate with just a slight bitterness on the finish.

The mouthfeel is full with some carbonation. It goes down very smoothly, often more quickly than I want. That leads to high drinkability and makes me glad that I have half a bottle left.

I will revisit this, but the cost means that there will be long waits between visits.

CityBoy1986, Jan 04, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Nice, dry oatmeal stout. Really, I was hoping that I would like it more on this go round. It's not bad or anything. I just probably won't ever buy one again. Of Sam Smith's lineup, I've only loved the Taddy Porter. I appreciate most of their beers, but I often end up feeling a bit underwhelmed and disappointed. This beer is a dry stout with a full, smooth feel. It's dark, nearly black with brown highlights at the extreme edges. The head is beige and leaves some lacing. The aroma is chocolate malt with that dry note that I usually associate with Irish Dry Stouts (oh, Guinness...). The mouthfeel is creamy and full. It's the best part of the beer. Good beer but not great. (My girlfriend demands that I write down her note of "baconey.")

popery, Jan 03, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

pours very dark with a short tannish brown head. smell is slight of roasted oats. fantastic semi-sweet chocolate/caramel taste with a slight hint of fig?/raisin?/date? very smooth mouthfeel. definitely inviting to drink more to discover all the flavors.

TypeSJess, Jan 03, 2009
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)