Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Nonic glass. Molasses black pour, tan head, soft, light lacing.

Smells like coffee and caramel. Vanilla also present. Molasses, banana, berries.

This one just gets better and better with each sip. Caramel, Vanilla, lactate, light butterscotch. Has an oaky bitterness. I feel like the oats give this beer a soft graininess that takes it to the next level.

Mouthfeel is prickly and pretty thin. Not syrupy, which, for this beer, is a good thing.

Such a good beer and the fact that its widely available means my wallet will suffer.

2.04/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours black with creamy and thick two finger head. Very attractive looking beer. The head is big and thick with a good amount of lacing.

For such a low alcohol beer the major aroma i get is alcohol. I get a bit of roasted malts but not much else. No chocolate or coffee flavors that i'm used to.

I don't know if i have a bad bottle or what, but this beer is borderline awful. A slight roasted maltiness but then theres a sour rotten flavor thats leaves a horrible aftertaste. Absolutely no complexity at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and very acidic.

Drinkability is terrible. This is my first official drainpour. It's making my stomach churn. I have no idea what the problem is. I really don't think this is a bad bottle. I just think i really don't like this beer at all. I was expecting a world class beer when i bought this for $4.49. I'm extremely disappointed.
I cannot recommend this one. However lots of people love this beer so i guess you'll have to try it for ourself and make up your own mind.

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of a gift pack poured into pint glass provided. Very dark brown that lets just a tiny hint of light shinning through. Nice thick creamy tan head that slowly disperses into a film. Only minor lacing. Aroma very neutral with just a hint of roasted malts. Very smooth to drink, feels great in the mouth. Very dry in taste with just a hint of roasted bitterness. A very chuggable stout and one that you can drink many of.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

An old school favorite of mine.

This beer is a beautiful pour, gargantuan creamy head or subdued 1 finger that crest the glass like the picture on the box. Let the head die down so you can view the magnificent black body with dark brown bubbles. Sweet vanilla and cinnamon buns in the nose backed up by a roasty sweet malt aroma. Tastes like an un-bitter, roasty milk chocolate oatmeal beer. Molasses drizzled coffee beans are big in the taste followed by milk chocolate covered roasted sweet oats. Mouthfeel is creamy. silky and luxurious-heavy as well. As drinkable and tasty as they come, alcohol hidden even for a 5% abv.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

A- pours a deep almost black color w/ quite a bit of garnet around the edges w/ a fluffy lt. brown cap that dissipates quickly leaving a decent lace in my nonic

S- not a strong smell at all, a faint woody, vinous aroma w/ some mineral and fruit notes as it warms

T- a mostly dark roasted coffee taste, slightly sweet and a bit tart, earthy wood with def. dark fruits and smoke in the mix, a flavor almost akin to coconut mixed with licorice in the background, finish is sweet and a tad bit astringent as opposed to bitter

M- a light-med body, nice creamy texture even w/ the modest co2 level

D- an extremely drinkable brew, prob. one of my all time fav. lower ABV stouts, loaded with flavor for the gravity

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

This way my gateway beer 5 or so years ago. Surprised I've never reviewed it. Well, its about time.

A-Pours an almost pitch black with a nice one finger mocha head that faded fairly quick, but left some nice lacing.

S-Semisweet chocolate with some malt.

T-A nice bready, malty flavor with a bit of chocolate.

M-Nice medium body with a perfect carb level for me. Coats the palate nicely.

D-I could drink these all night long. Great session beer. Goes down very, very easy.

This beer is great. Over the years I have had it many, many times and it never fails to please. Great job from Sammy Smith.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

A - This is a beautiful beer. A beer that others can strive to be. It poured less than 1 finger (the only negative) of of creamy mocha colored head. There was some continued carbonation. A very strong proud English lacing. I do wish the head was a bit higher.

S - Rich chocolate, caramel, instant oatmeal with sugar. And some sweet honeydew flower nectar, like the kind I'd play with as a kid. Wonderful. After opening the bottle I could smells the rich sweet savory smells from across the table.

T - Initially you feel some creamy sugars, then some chocolate, then some whole wheat toast. This aftertaste lingers around but not unwantedly with a bit of hop and some bread. Some people might want more hop character, but this is fine. I found the balance between malt hop and yeast to be just right.

M - Creamy, playful, inviting. You want to put more of this in your mouth. You'll want to make soap and candles out of this. You'll want to pour this on pancakes.

D - Delightful. Great by itself, with burgers, for desert. Tons of occasions.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a jet black with medium, foamy tan head. Lacing throughout. Aroma of sweet malts - toffee, coffee, dark caramel, chocolate.Smooth and silky on the tongue, very nice and well-balanced. Sweet? Yes but not overwhelming. Not too dry either - very nice beer but I agree with many others - this is not a session beer, but savoring a 550 ml bottle is very nice indeed!

4.17/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my first oatmeal stout, and aside from maybe Anderson Valley or Stone, its still one of my favorites.

Pours a "light" black/brown color. Just delightful. Smells sweeter than expected, taste is phenomenal. Who would think something so menacing in appearance could come off as so delicious? The oats really take the edge off, but at 5%, I guess there isn't as much as an "edge" as the aroma and appearance would indicate.

Just keeps getting better throughout the bottle, and is quite drinkable, due to its non massive ABV. If you want power alochol, check out Sammy Smith's Imperial Stout. . .

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Dark, mahogany brown. Thick head with lacing.
Smell: Dark chocolate, mostly.
Taste: Malty. A lot of sugary oats, and a lingering cocoa/baking chocolate flavor. Finishes a bit bitter.
Mouthfeel: Well-balanced carbonation. Surprisingly dry.
Drinkability: Definitely buying more of this. I'm looking foward to the next bottle.

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

poured from the bomber into my new belgium goblet. nice indeed:

A: dark, dark chocolate brew. thick caramel head settles leaving generous lace.

S: a bit oc chocolate but not much to the nose here

T: malty chocolateness, along with a bit of bready malt.

M: thick, luxurious low on the carb. no alocohol bite at all

D thanks you sir, can I have aother?

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- This beer pours with a voluminous head, active, very fizzy. It isn't a flash in the pan, though... creamy, tan khaki head, settles 1cm, thick staying power. Beer itself is brown, dark brown, with some deep deep coloration.

S- Chocolate, semisweet, with some mild caramel.

T- Subdued, but tasty. Cocoa (like hot cocoa mix), roasted malts, perfect breadiness. Rich, robust, but not off-the-wall in any one category.

M- Smooth, silky, sublime. A perfect stout... drinkable to a T.

D- High- Fantastic. I'm not the biggest stout fan, but even I can't deny this beer. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a into a tulip.

A: Deep brown/black. It looks like dark chocolate. 2-3 fingers of thick beige creamy head. Head subsides slowly, leaving a good lacing.

S: Sweet malt. Chocolate, nuts, a little spice and molasses/burnt sugar.

T: Rich, sweet and malty, but not overly thick or cloying. Sweet oats and chocolate a little spice up front and a balancing hop bitterness from the middle through the finish.

M: It's surprisingly light and refreshing for something so dark and thick looking. The "dry" sweetness of the oatmeal keeps it from being too heavy, I think. The slight bitter finish keeps it fresh.

D: Exceptional. It has complexity, medium body, fresh taste. It's wonderful to sip over time as it warms, but it could easily go down in gulps of flavor.

This was one of my first favorites back in college in the 80s. It's still one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

550 mL bottle poured into the SN tumbler. This beer has been on my lenghty list to try, so I'm very excited to give the sammy oatmeal stout a try.

The stout from Tadcaster pours a deep brown color with a tan frothy head after an aggressive pour. Lots of lacing lines the glass. The pour is quite pretty. The nose is quite sweet with the usual stout aromas of chocolate and coffee but this also contains some grainy nuts as well as malts. Taste is sweet as well with lots of chocolate. Where is the oatmeal?? Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crispy. Overall this is a very complex but well balanced that provides much more than the average stout.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured at 50 degrees into a snifter.

It pours a dark brown color, not as dark as most stouts I've had. Nice one-finger tan head with good lacing and retention.

The smell is a heavy chocolate malt with a little sweetness. Theres a lot of raosted grain coming through with a little alchohol.

Theres a bit of bitterness and sweetness to it. It's a bitlighter than I like my stouts, but still good. Theres a pretty good spicing to it as well.

The first sip is very smooth with an even flavor and nice carbonation. Nothing is too overpowering, I'd say this is a perfectly balanced feel for this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured my bottles into a 16 oz mug.

This is my review originally posted @ http://thelightonbeer.blogspot.com -

My buddy has been telling me for a few weeks now about Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. So, when I saw it at my local six-pack shop, I had to buy a few.

The two singles I bought were somewhere around $3.50 each, give or take a few dimes. They're bottled with a touch of class, with golden foil around the head and on top of the cap. The presentation just about matches the quality of the product, with the beer coming out on top.

Honestly, I don't know much about stouts, nor do I throw them down very often. My previous experiences with stouts involved Guinness (naturally) and some stout brew from Troegs, the exact name I can't remember. To take that back without using the backspace, this past fall I had some sort of double chocolate stout in a purple can, either 16 or 24 oz's (I enjoyed it out of a friend's fridge). I just saw it in the store last night...ahhh...I typed it in Google and found a picture. The brew is made from Young's. Moving on:

I poured the Oatmeal Stout by Samuel Smith (England) in my 16 oz mug (at least I think it's a 16 oz mug) using the straight down the middle pour that I'm under the impression goes without saying when dealing with a stout. I got a really nice head out of the bottle, and the smell is very nice. The head retention is remarkable. Mind you, I'm continuously swirling, but I'm about halfway through the beer and after letting the beer sit for over a minute, I've still got half an inch of head that is showing no signs of disappearing.

The taste is excellent. It offers flavor like a smoked beer (minus the salty beef jerky taste that I can't stand), roasted malts, black coffee, burnt caramel, with a balance that is stronger than any amount of bitterness that would show up, depending on the palate. Considering some of the stronger elements to this beer, it is pretty incredible that it fails to make me want to gag.

After enjoying two Oatmeal Stout singles from Samuel Smith, I not only am going to try another brew from Samuel Smith's Old Brewery, I'm going to explore more in the world of stouts.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a Sam Smith imperial pint glass.

Dark chocolate color, creamy tan head, great retention. Looks awesome.

Smells of chocolate, a hint of oatmeal, a little sweet.

The taste is more of the same, chocolaty malt, a little bitter on the aftertaste, just a hint of oatmeal. I was expecting a little more oatmeal, but it's still a very good stout.

Medium bodied, superbly easy to drink. A top example of the style and an all-time classic beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 550 ml. bottle into my Samuel Smith nonic.

A: Dark brown, almost black. Pours into a 3 finger, foamy, tan head. Slowly dissipates unevenly leaving sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Plenty of lacing remains as you drink it down.

S: A sweet but heavy malt. Grainy, nutty, a little mocha, chocolate, and a hint of nutmeg and molasses.

T: Heavy robust malt, with a hint of sweetness. The molasses and spice really come out. Just a bit bitter too.

M: Despite the robustness, has kind of a light feel on the palette. I think it's the sweetness, that fools you a bit. Lightly bitter aftertaste remains.

D: This beer is great to sip, but be careful... you can easily power it down too.

Atmosphere is great. Beautiful appearance, and a great, complex, well-balanced nose. Flavor is a near-perfect balance of hearty malt, sweetness, and bitterness. Overall, this is a great quaff.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz from Savemore. I can remember, once working in the reclamation dept. of a distributor, and an old coworker would always cringe when disposing of this when out-of-code. That's the hype for me.

A - brown/black...not as dark as an RIS but close. a good pour gives an inch of head that settles to tiny bubbles and sticks to the glass.
S - molasses, dark malts, some hops.
T - sugary, chocolate. i can never tell how the oatmeal works here. the sweetness is excellent. great flavor.
M - light, crisp. effortless. the carbonation is the only downside, but I seem to have that issue commonly and may not be pouring hard enough!
D - for a dark beer, the drinkability is oustanding. a good balance - great but not overwhelming flavor. the light abv is important to this.

would buy again and will enjoy the rest of the 4 pack.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Dark brown with an impressive tan head which leaves rings that won't budge down the side of the glass. Nice, thick, and sticky.

S: Some roasted barley and oat malts sweetened by molasses, hot chocolate powder, and brown sugar.

T: Strong roasted malts, some cacao powder, toffee, molasses, chocolate milk, and coffee. I can taste some oats, but their flavor isn't prominent. Much more of the roasted barley malt shines through as with a typical English stout.

M: Very smooth with almost negligible carbonation.

D: An excellent stout, though a bit heavy and taking a while to finish. I really enjoyed this and wouldn't mind more.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance- dark brown color with a caramel colored head.
Smell- sweet cocoa
Taste-similar to a cup of roasted coffee with a little chocolate and milk added.
Mouthfeel- medium water content
Drinkability- Very drinkable- finished this one within 5 minutes. Very enjoyable, complex, and flavorful.

The first thing I tasted with this beer is a medium bitterness. The bitterness is then taken over by a creamy, semi-sweet, roasted coffee/chocolate flavor. Its almost like if you were to put a little dark chocolate and a splash of milk in a cup of coffee. Although, most oatmeal stouts tend to have a more neutral acidic flavor than chocolate or coffee stouts. This beer is no exception- the acid flavor goes up and then comes back down with the coffee and chocolate. This is an excellent beer that is very well made.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

What more can be said about this old stand-by.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark chocolate brown with some blood red edges when held to a light. The creamy mocha head is a full inch that recedes leaving a fair amount of lace rings.

The aroma is not a strong as I would have expected. Roasted malt,coffee,cocoa mild bitterness.

The flavor is oh so yummy. Smooth roasted malt with hints of chocolate and raisins. A bitter black coffee bitterness rounds things out in a good way.

Medium to full chewy body. Not much carbonation, which makes it velvety smooth.

Overall a fantastic oatmeal stout. I could drink this all day.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance - solid brown and nearly black but if you look closely you see some red and brown. Toffee colored head which was sizable and tons of lacing.

Smell - strongest is the malts and barely followed immediately by the oats. It's a very sweet scent and it only gets better in it's taste.

Taste - the oats come through with the malt and it is absolutely delicious. With the malt you get the slightest hint of bitterness and it tastes like a real stout. You don't get anything like coffee or chocolate just pure oats.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is upfront but then fades. Perhaps my only critique is unlike other stouts its very thing and light where as traditionally it is a thicker consistency.

Drinkability - could easily drink a few in a night before it got too heavy for me. Truly a delicious oatmeal stout and will continue to drink it again and again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Last of the Samuel Smiths 3-pack. The last two were good, so lets see how this one fairs.

Pours a deeep chestnut brown, boardering black. I would have thought it was black if I didn't hold it up to the light, where ruby red and mahogany highlights were showcased. 2 fingers of creamy, khaki coloured head with solid retention top this beer leaving some nice, sheet like lacing.

Roasted malts, burnt molasses, brown sugar, powdery cocoa and a subtle but strange sour apple presence. Still a solid smelling beer.

Molasses, roasted malt, cocoa, grain, light oats, brown sugar with a hint of coffee and buttery malt making an appearance in the finish.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Reminded me a bit of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Excellent balance, with the sweetness being perfectly stated. Light to medium bodied and RIDICULOUSLY easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent beer. By far the best of the 3 pack (which includes their EBA and EPA),d easily placed in the top ten beers I've ever had. St. Ambroise version of this is great, but I enjoyed this one much more. A perfect dessert beer but I could see myself having this on almost any occasion. I think this will be one of my favourites for a long time.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I must have walked passed this stuff a million times between all of the beer runs I have been on. The gold leaf cap and neck always catch my eye. Maybe because because of price or lack of interest by the group I'm usually with I never have had a chance to bring a bottle back to my place. I finally picked one up... here it goes...

A- Dark as dark can be, 2 finger head with creamy body that stuck around for quite a while and left a hearty lacing as it settled.

S- Chocolate, malt, toast (kinda bready but more toasted than yeast bread scent)

T- Honestly a little disappointed at the overall flavor, I'm tasting chocolate, cream, and something a little sour/sweet like ripe fruit. I can't pick up any of the "oatmeal" but I'm not entirely sure how much flavor of oat should actually be present in this beer. An average stout for taste

M- I have to say that this beer feels great in the mouth. Perfect body and carbonation and a warming feel not from the alcohol but from the rich texture of the beer itself. I really wish the flavors were a little more palatable to match the mouthfeel.

D- Average, mouthfeel is great but with its heavier qualities I might be taking a breather before I drink any in a session, one was like a liquid dessert

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)