Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

The wonderful example of this style.

Pours a beautiful balance between brown and black with a subtle hint of reddish in the background. A big creamy head.

Smell is light of brown sugar oatmeal and molasses.

Rolls onto the palate with a creamy lightness that comes from the best oatmeal stouts. Taste is not hugely complex but it is wonderfully pleasant of oats, molasses, and caramel.

Could enjoy multiples. The creamy brew settles great in the stomach and is not too filling.

umtox, Oct 12, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a jet black with a large coffee-tan head that has good retention an leaves some nice sticky lacing.

S: Rich coffee with some nice earthy, chocolaty tones a well.

T: Much like the smell, rich, deep coffee flavours with a touch of chocolaty sweetness. Nutty in the background and a subtle bitter hop finish.

M: Very rich and smooth, coating your mouth as it goes down. Creamy, yet crisp - very nice.

D: This is a very nice oatmeal stout and is, so far, my favourite offering from Samuel Smith's. I will definitely buy this beer again. perfect for the upcoming cold winter nights!

Graham5161986, Oct 07, 2008
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Had this at Zeno's Dark Side Day last night and had it poured into a pint glass...

A: Dark clear brown, but by no means black. A light tan head also that sticks around nicely before dissipating to a thick ring of foam.

S: Nice smell of caramel, chocolate and oats. For how light this beer is, it really doesn't mess around when it comes to the smell.

T: Very surprised at how much flavor is packed into this. Initially it starts of with a blast of chocolate and cocoa and finishes very creamy with oats and a touch of coffee.

Overall, this is a phenomenal oatmeal stout, and another fine offering by Sam Smith.

treyrab, Oct 05, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

I love the hefty, classy bottle. Pours nice, too. Quite dark with a bit of light getting through. Adequate khaki cap that leaves a persistent ring.

Should have let this one warm longer before pouring it. The nose really opens up with some warmth but in my haste I poured it right out of the fridge. Lots of sweet dark grains. Very definite molasses coming through. Maybe a bit of coffee in the dark roast aromas.

Lots of molasses on the flavor as well, which is really tasty. The sweet grains are well complimented by dark roastiness and some hop bittering.

Feel is good, but maybe could have just a bit more oomph. Definitely very smooth and silky, just what I'd expect from a beer of this style. When I took some swigs when cold it had a bit of a carbonation bite that disappeared after a while.

Moral of the story: don't drink your stouts, especially this one too cold. Actually, don't drink just about any beer real cold. This is a perfect example how much aromas, flavors and feel improve with some time out of the fridge. Samuel Smith is a quality brewery; this is a great oatmeal stout I'll keep coming back to.

josiahschlender, Oct 03, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours an opaque ruby with a purty tan head. Some decent lacing down the glass.

The aroma isn't the strongest, but I'm picking up some nice roasted malts. Possibly caramel. A hint of sweetness from the oats pokes its head in too.

The taste is pretty good. It's not as sweet as your average American oatmeal stout, but it's very smooth and roasty. The oats definitely aide that smoothness.

This stuff is much better as it warms, too. The mouthfeel goes from being slightly thin to almost a little chewy. Beyond that, it's the most silky-smooth beer I've ever had. Remarkably smooth, even.

This stuff isn't the best oatmeal stout I've ever had, but it's very easy to drink. It is, however, better than I remember it from years past. I'll be buying it again.

BigJim5021, Oct 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Before you read the following review, please bear in mind that I haven't sampled the full spectrum of English stouts (or anything close to it).

Appearance: Cool! This stuff is almost black, with a hint of root-beer brown around the edge. An average pour yielded a fleeting, one-finger khaki/brown head, which dissipated faster than I had hoped. Fine lacing throughout drinking, although it's heavy enough to sink into the brew within 30 or 40 seconds.

Smell: This is the only moderately underwhelming aspect of this beer, in my opinion. The aroma is generally...well, mild. And it belies the flavor of this fine brew. I smell something honey-ish, with hints of molasses and oats.

Taste: I almost gave it a 4.5, but I changed my mind after several quaffs. This is sweet-ish, syrupy, oat-y goodness in a glass. I also detect coffee, toasted malt, brown sugar, and some oats. I like what I taste here.

Mouthfeel: Fairly dense and viscous, although I kind of hoped it'd be even thicker. Goes down slowly, leaving a tasty trail down my tongue and throat.

Drinkability: Solid. With its relatively low ABV, I feel like I could drink two or three without any regrets. I would consider this kind of a cool-weather beer, but it's not dense and warming enough to preclude me from drinking one or two in the summer.

Overall, this is a pretty great beer. If you're into stouts but haven't tried a lot of "unusual" ones (i.e., if you're a Guinness drinker), I entreat you to try one or two of these. Good stuff.

UGADawgGuy, Sep 28, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -4%

this brew pours up black with a nice frothy, tan head. the nose is dark malts, cherries, oats, hints of vanilla. the taste? Ahhh the delicious watered down malt taste like almost all dark English Ales (*sarcasm*)...taste is the same as nose minus the cherries. slight metallic sweet malt finish, watery medium bodied, low to medium carbo. Im not a fan of the watered down English Ale taste but this surely beats Young's Oatmeal Stout.

stumac, Sep 27, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Dark brown, almost black, with ruby around the edges and a huge, creamy tan head that leaves behind some thin lacing as it quickly sinks down.

S - Nose is dominated by molasses and caramel, toasted malts, and hints of biscuit and maybe even butterscotch.

T - Caramel, toasted malt, oats, and biscuits. Quite malty and sweet, with a hint of bitterness as it finishes.

M/D - Mouthfeel was medium, but left a little too much stickiness for my taste.

Overall, the caramel flavor kind of overwhelmed me. I give it good points because it's a good example of the style, but I couldn't have more than one of these.

timmah427, Sep 27, 2008
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured a deep black with a tan head that lasted through the entire pint. Outstanding lacing -- a ring with every sip.

Smells of deep roasted malt/grain sweetness, some licorice notes.

Where to start. Sweetness from the oats/grain comes through, but is balanced by deep dark roast flavors. You have a little coffee, molasses, and bitter chocolate, as well as licorice and herbal hop bitterness.

This is a silky smooth one, no rough edges, with decent, tongue-coating characteristics. But the lingering flavors are not cloying in any way.

This is a nice beer. I've had some oatmeal stouts are brewpubs that I consider much better, but this one is a winner. At face value (and not style, comparisons, etc.), this is a terrific beer that you can have more than one of and not feel like changing gears.

OtherShoe2, Sep 21, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Beer review #99. My 2nd Samuel Smith and my 7th stout. My 1st oatmeal stout

A- Opaque black with a 3-finger frothy, creamy, tan-colored head that left some nice lacing. Perfect

S- Smell was a bit metallic but that was overcome by sweet, roasted malts and of course, oatmeal. Not too complex but pleasing

T&M- Taste is light for a stout but that oatmeal makes it very enjoyable for me and gives it some consistency. Mostly sweet with nothing strongly bitter. However the aftertaste does leave a sort of bitter, dry feeling on the tongue.

D- That bitter, dry feeling calls for another sip. And another, and another...

EnojysAnyBeer, Sep 21, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

55 ml. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Reddish brown with a thick medium brown head.

S - Very light smell but I could pick up some malt and oatmeal and chocolate.

T - Slightly bitter, oatmeal and malt.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Ok, not my favorite stout. Too light and watery.

jeffmonarch, Sep 19, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Dark brown - almost black and opaque apart from lovely golden dark brown edges when held up to the light. Nice chocolate head that reduces to a thin head. Even after sipping slowly, it retained a nice thin lacing to the last.

S: Coffee, Molasses, Malty

T: Definitely a complex flavor. The taste is what you would expect from the smell but then you get a really interesting balance of sweetness and bitterness. I hadn't detected fruit in the smell but there is a dominant fruitiness to the taste that then leaves you with a bitterness that was a little too sour for my taste.

M: It is smooth, creamy and feels clean in the mouth. There was a little sharpness to the carbonation hitting the tongue - could have done without that. It felt to thin at the end.

D: Loved this beer but the combination of the tanginess and sour bitterness at the end makes this an "in moderation" drink for me. A quality stout for sure.

sgoodship, Sep 19, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Black/Dark-brown body, tight brunette head diminishes slowly with spotty lace.

S - Roasted malt tones, nutty, smoky with notable sweetness.

T - Full bodied sweet onset, coffee/chocolate mid with a mild spicy hops finish.

M - Thickness is there, finishes clean with moderate carbonation.

D - Very presentable, I'd share this with an honored guest.

n00tz, Sep 17, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

A: It poured a black body with a brown moderate head that fell to a spotty cover and supported decent layered lacing.

S: It smelled of dark roasted malts with complementing brown sugar and a nutty oaky aroma.

T: It had a creamy smooth dark roasted malt flavor at its base with brown sugar, some dark fruits and a bit of bitter hops. There was a modest oat flavor but it was well hidden.

M: It was medium bodied with a modest amount of carbonation and a bitter roasted malt presence on the tongue. It finished dry and bitter and the bitterness lasted deep into the aftertaste.

D: It was a medium bodied and has a light ABV but the biting aftertaste limits this to a one and out beer for me.

dnichols, Sep 13, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer is just a delight to drink every single time. It had been a long time since I've had one and I was excited to get the opportunity again this week.

Beer poured with a wonderful tan head that rose from beneath the surface of the black beer. So much structure and so creamy. Just a beautiful beer.

Aroma was of roasted malt. Not quite burnt notes. Coffee, roasted nuts and a slight mineral (earthly) tone.

Flavor was just really soothing and pleasant. Coffee, Cream, some roasted goodness and a nice lingering flavor with a great deal of depth. In beers like this I often go back and forth deciding if I am tasting Coffee or chocolate. This certainly seemed to clearly lean on the coffee side of life, but the chocolate notes were present.

The mouth feel was very creamy and smooth. Just a delight to drink and enjoy. I made myself a promise that I wouldn't wait as long to have my next Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout again.

Excellent Beer.

Reagan1984, Sep 13, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout is a sweet, easy to drink excellent example of the style.

I poured mine into an imperial pint glass. This beer is black - but not thick like Ten Fidy. The head was full and creamy and seemed to dissapate a little too quickly. I think I might have my beer a little too cold to sustain the head.

The aroma is fresh and malty. I can smell the sugar in this beer.

The mouthfeel is full and inviting. I can tell that a four pack of this could evaporate quickly if it didn't cost so much. I would say this is the best beer I can get in Mississippi.

The taste is sweet, malty, and a little fruit after taste. A light hint of hops rests on the back of the throat.

This beer goes down smooth. Enjoy this one all you want. I would call it a very sessionable oatmeal stout. In fact if you closed your eyes you might mistake this one for a much lighter beer.

PerzentRizen, Sep 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A - In a dimly lit bar this brew appears as an opaque void of darkness; though not cloudy or completely opaque when exposed to light. A fair amount of carbonation and a non-existent head.

S - Full-bodied and complex. Although a oatmeal stout, it has some characteristics of a cream stout- namely the sweetness. It contains malty, chocolaty (mocha), and somewhat smoky notes.

T - Strong, and full-bodied. Mocha and cream come through strong, finishing like a powerful black coffee. The aftertaste is a bit lingering, but for a brew of this nature its to be expected.

M - A good amount of carbonation, and somewhat smooth. The brew is a bit sticky. As I've said, the aftertaste is a bit lingering.

D - Not very- this is a meal of a beer. I can't see having many of these during a session. Without any doubt I would defiantly have this beer again, but sparingly and in moderation.

Its a good beer to be sure, but its a little pricey. I'm looking forward to using this beer as a standard to measure Youngs Oatmeal Stout against.

SimplySinister, Sep 03, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours dark brown not quite opaque, looks a little syrupy.Poured a little aggressive yielded a three finger head with the bulk of it dissapating rather quickly.

Molasses, coffee, a little earthy.

Chocolate, molasses, some nutty hues, with an excellent creamy finish typical of Samuel Smith.

A little syrupy, not to thick carbination is reminiscient of cola.

All in all a great beer, I will be back for more.

alovesupreme, Sep 02, 2008

Oh how delicious...

Poured into a Guinness Pint Glass from a 550 ml bottle with gold foil on top. The appearance is a very dark brown, if not black, with a nice tan head on it that doesn't quite fade as I drink it, and leaves a lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of roasted malts, caramel, coffee, maybe some barley. It reminds me a lot of chocolate, perhaps dark chocolate given the slight bitterness that I detect.

The taste is awesome. There is a sweet malt flavor, as well as a bitter cocoa flavor, which finishes with a roasted barley as I swallow. The complexity in this is great, and it is what I have come to love about stouts. I paired it with some chocolate cake and coffee ice cream and it worked well with both.

Mouthfeel is very clean. It leaves no clinging residue in my mouth, and there is a nice bitterness after I swallow. It still holds a nice carbonation to it, while not being overpowering.

This is a great beer. I would save this for a finisher, maybe with dessert or on its own later in the evening. I don't think I would have multiple in one sitting, however. I am glad that it is easily found around me, because I definitely will be getting this again and again.

tedsox31, Sep 02, 2008
4.22/5  rDev 0%

550ml bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a jet black with medium tan head that sheets the sides.

S - Malt sweetness, hints of oats and alcohol. Caramel toffee on the 2nd sniff.

T - Nutty and earthy malts develop into a sweetness balanced by roasty finish.

M - Great full rich body, little carbonation (expected), overall impressive.

D - Very high. Great session or finisher.

ectomorph, Sep 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wonderful Oatmeal stout!

Deep Brown color with good head retention, Great aroma of dark caramel, coffee, chocolate and a hint of roasted barley. Rich flavors from start to finish that balance superbly to make this brew very drinkable for style.

A must have for Stout lovers, i wish it was more readily available out here in hawaii.

zornbeast, Sep 01, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A - dark chocolate brown with a small and thin light brown head. The beer itself is rather clean as I see no carbonation or floaties within

S - Smells of sweet milk chocolate with a hint of cream and caramel within. There is a slight roasted cocoa to it as well.

T - On the front end, there is a bit of roasted cocoa taste that is a bit bitter. Now usually this is what I don't like about this style of beer but in this one this hint is there but not overwhelming. Melded together with the roasted flavors are sweet toffee and caramel. There is also a taste of sweet milk chocolate on the front end that comes out. A very good oatmeal stout

MF - Oh this is a rather creamy stout. Reminds a bit of a melting milkshake in that it has nice body to it but still manages to go down velvety smooth. There is a light amount of carbonation in there and it seems to fit in just right.

D - This is super drinkable stout. It has great flavor to it, a nice MF and only 5% ABV. This is a beer that I could easily drink one after another and I would definitely pick some up again. One of my favorite oatmeal stouts if not the best one that I've ever had.

jeonseh, Aug 31, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -10%

Pours a pitch black with a small, creamy tan head. Smells of molassas. Taste is slightly sour, chocolaty, with a hint of earthy hops. Mouthfeel is slightly watery, but velvety smooth. Carbonation levels are slightly high. Drinkable, this is easy to finish the entire pint bottle. A good ale from Sam Smith.

tronester, Aug 30, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

550ml to standard pint
pours a nice deep reddish brown, foamy tan head fades

smells of roasty chocolate, bitterness

taste is smooth chocolate, coffee, slightly metallic (most likely an old bottle), oats are nice, roasty, molasses, brown sugar sweetness, good weight, nicely balanced.

mouthfeel is smooth, good carbonation, a nice stout indeed

drxandy, Aug 30, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Awesome Samuel Smith offering!!
A: Pours a rich, opaque black color with amber highlights in the light. Leaves an off-white, tan color head that retains well and leaves a nice patchy lace on the glass

S: Very strong notes of dark fruits, namely figs, dates, raisins...also, molasses, caramel, chocolate, coffee and toffee

T: Very similar to the nose, which I appreciate. Heavy roasted malt notes with chocolate, molasses, and dark fruit...This beer is very sweet, which is a surprise to me, as I was expecting more of a bitter-sweet brew...

MF: Mediumin body, silky and creamy going down...The aftertaste is of darkfruit and roasted malts.

D: Eh, the drinkibility of a beer is always subjective, but I feel that the drinkibility of this brew is substantially higher to other oatmeal stouts due to its superb balance

I actually got some beer novices to appreciate the color and taste of this beer!! Awesome

scottyshades, Aug 24, 2008
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)