Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
scoobybrew

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

I poured this into a pint glass. The color is very dark. It has a light brown head with excellent retention. The aroma is one of chocolaty, roasted malts. Yeast diacetal is also noticed in the aroma with very subtle hop notes. The flavor has a buttery, complex roasted malt profile. The hops are in the background, but noted on the finish. Of course, there is the signature Sam Smith yeast. It has a heavy body with low carbonation.

Overall, this is very good for an oatmeal stout. It's very drinkable and not too heavy as far as stouts go.

05-21-2006 12:01:44 | More by scoobybrew
sinstaineddemon

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A - dark typical stout black with a dark tan head that laces in about a minute, too dark for any visible carbonation

S - dark chocolate and roasted coffee aromas, with sweet oatmeal hints in the bouquet

T - the taste is very similar to the aroma, coffee richer, and chocolate richer, the oatmeal is heartier, what a great tasty oatmeal stout

M - smooth and balanced, so easy down

D - high, not to alcoholic, not to bitter, easy for no-crafters

05-21-2006 03:28:35 | More by sinstaineddemon
bwyker

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours dark brown to pitch black. Moderate carbonization, which forms a foamy head with decent retention.

S: A sharp roasted malt with a coffee bite and hint of chocolate. Sweet, yet hefty.

T: Not quite as sweet as expected. The oats are hardly noticed. More of a bitter, baking chocolate and rough coffee taste. Smooth finish, with the coffee taste lingering.

MF: Thin, smooth feel. Not as “chunky” as other stouts.

D: Highly drinkable, especially for a stout. Not suggesting the beer doesn’t have many characteristics that should be savored. Rather, there is a good balance of complexity and drinkability to this beer.

05-19-2006 20:29:14 | More by bwyker
Lnedrive14

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This is my 100th reviews, so I consciously picked to review the beer that introduced me to the craft beer scene.

Since 534 other people have reviewed this, I don't think I really need to delve into the complexities of the brew, and hell, it's my 100th - I deserve a break!

In any case, a great brew, and one that is really a great introduction to the fact that beer does not consist of a piss colored beverage you suck down to get loaded despite its nasty taste. I went to the store with the explicit purpose of getting this beer, because I had a trend of really bad oatmeal stouts and i needed something to restore my faith in the style. This certainly worked like a charm.

05-16-2006 02:41:27 | More by Lnedrive14
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured very dark brown, almost black with well-retaining head.
Smelled of molassass and chocolate with bread-like background.
The taste was mildly sweet molassass, chocolate and oats. Not as sweet as other oatmeal stouts I've had, but some sweetness was evident.
Very smooth mouthfeel - quite drinkable!
This might not be the best example of this style, but it is certainly a great beer. However, I've had some regional and local oatmeal stouts that were almost/just as/slightly better for less money. This is a special treat - and a bit different than most others - nevertheless.

05-14-2006 22:17:17 | More by jwc215
benwiley

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

this IS a good stout for sure. i dont think its THE stout like people say, tho. i mean the bitterness is just there a WEE bit too much for the perfect score i think. maybe its just my own tastes (I love young's double choc for example) but i think theres a littl e room for improvement here.
it does have nive coffee flavors, is very smooth on the palate, and is a bit more drinkable than many in the family tho i wouldnt say its a session.

05-14-2006 02:12:14 | More by benwiley
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I have had this before, as well as reviewed it. It has been quite a long time, however, and I felt revisiting it was in order. It poured black with a khaki coloured, thick foamy head which was slow to dissipate. The foam clung tightly to the sides of the glass when tilted. The smell is positively fantastic. Even better than I had remembered, quite honestly. You can actually smell the oatmeal present, on top of a bit of smoke, with some sweet malt, and very, very subtle chocolate, as well. Smells absolutely delicious. The taste is very pleasant, exhibiting most everything present in the smell. The oatmeal itself is a bit less in the taste and more in the smell, but the smoke and chocolate along with the sweet, roasted malt are all very much present here. Mouthfeel is smooth and gentle. This is better than I had remembered it, or perhaps my palate has become more keen since I last tried this, either way, I am very glad indeed that I chose to revisit this one.

05-13-2006 02:37:50 | More by SilentSabre
clickpush

4.43/5  rDev +5%

pour: 12oz bottle to pint glass. Came out with about a finger of light tan head that dissipated quickly and left strong lacings and a large foamy ring around the outside of the glass. The color is dirty-oak-tree-bark dark: just a couple shades from black, and slightly cloudy within.

nose: The aromas of mint and chocolate overtook me from the glass as I was noting the appearance. Predominately chocolate and oats with the light addition of red fruits or berries.

mouth: Enters with a smokier feel than I'd anticipated (but not overwhelming or unpleasant). Strong flavors of bittersweet chocolate and mint - alternating between sweet and sour. The hops seemed to be a bit sour in place of the usual bitterness, but it balances well with the sweetness. In terms of mouthfeel, the beer enters strong and fizzy but as it moves back in the mouth it settles into a creamy oatmeal-y flavored mouth cover that is so damn enjoyable I don't want to swallow. The non-aggressive warm exhale concludes this excellent gastronomic experience.

05-10-2006 18:34:33 | More by clickpush
frosty

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Now this is damn good beer. Poured from a 550ml bottle at around cellar temp this beer comes out nice and dark (almost pure black in color). As I put the glass to my nose I can tell I going to enjoy this one. I get the scent of chocolate, coffee, and maybe some oats. The taste is outstanding and reconfirms what my nose has told me. All the flavors are there including some maltiness and hops. If anyone whats to get me something for my birthday I'd be more than happy with this stuff. A great stout in my opinion.

05-03-2006 04:54:20 | More by frosty
Cresant

Kentucky

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first review and my first oatmeal stout. This Tadcaster offering appeared rather intimidating because of it's opaque brown/black presentation. Pouring from a 12 oz bottle I got two fingers of tan/white head which dissipated rather quickly to a ring and then altogether disapeared.

The smell was an inviting earthy, grain-like sweetness.

I expected this ale to be more "macho", but it was not as thick or heavy as I anticipated. It has a smooth, molasses taste without being too sweet. A very nice balance of malty sweetness with a dry "hoppy" finish.

The mouthfeel was balanced, not too rich, not too watery. Could benefit from a bit more carbonation.

I like this one a great deal, yet one was enough. I generally like to switch beers to keep the palate interested. However, I will return to Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

04-29-2006 23:16:15 | More by Cresant
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Nice stuff that I treat myself to every once in a while. Pours dark brown, smells like cocoa. Tastes like bitter cocoa, malt but not overly sweet and not too much like chocolate. Finishes really nice. A bit tamer than the imperial stout, but still a damn good dessert beer.

04-29-2006 00:36:34 | More by Manosbeeroffate
dfried

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I feel like this is a pretty standard oatmeal stout. It doesn't appear as lights out dark as some darker roasted stouts, but it has a bit more tan appearance around the edges, and leaves a medium in size, lighter in color head. The smell, taste, and mouthfeel of this beer are the highlights of it for me. It is fairly sweet for a stout, it tones back the darker malts and highlights sweeter carmel maltiness that leaves a foamy, sweet mouthfeel. It has a dry fruity flavor that I like.

04-26-2006 17:40:09 | More by dfried
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +9%

550 mL clear bottle poured into tall glass.

As has been said, this beer is very dark. Pretty much black. The head is of decent size and duration, and has that nice brownish color that I love in beers of this style.

The aroma is that of roasted malt, a bit of coffee, and is sweet.

The flavor of this beer is great. It is sweet and roasty with a nice clean and bitter finish. I am not much of a coffee drinker, so I like that this stout does not have too much coffee flavor or bitterness.

The mouthfeel is also fantastic. Very smooth and almost creamy.

The alcohol is a bit noticeable, and I think it takes a bit away from the drinkability. I don't think I'd want more than one bottle at a time, but that one is very nice!

04-25-2006 23:16:48 | More by AaronHomoya
edskirk3

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

550 mL clear glass bottle, so I can already tell how opaque black it is.

Mocha-colored cumuliform head, retains for a long time, sticking to the sides of the glass. At this point I have a premonition of supreme tastiness.

Nose is of toasted malts and chocolate. No detectable hop presence.

The taste is sublime. It's sweet, creamy, milky, slightly bitter chocolate. It is, without exaggeration, absolutely delicious. At the very end of the bottle there is a twinge of bitterness. The only thing that disappoints me is that there's only 550 mL.

Very full-bodied. I guess this is the only negative I can find in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, because this prevents you from drinking a whole cask of it.

This is truly a dessert in a bottle. I really love this stuff. I think I would take a bottle of this over a cake for my birthday.

04-22-2006 00:02:32 | More by edskirk3
JayTheFinn

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Very fine product. Good head. Fairly decent aroma. It's walking by a fancy coffee shop and a faint scent floats out the door past your nose. The smell translates equally into a nice smooth, mild favor. Slightly sweet, a little toasty. Very creamy feel with just a little carbonation. One of the most drinkable stouts I've ever had.

04-17-2006 00:56:20 | More by JayTheFinn
nickss

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pitch black with a behemoth rocky head. The head is khaki in colour and takes a long while to disipate.

Ahh... the aroma that is so common to the Sammy Smith brews. That black cherry aroma that is almost metallic. Big grainy oats in the nose as well... nice.

Big oatmeal flavour. Very rich and thick tasting. Lots of malt.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for what I like my oatmeal stouts to be, but its a small complaint. The carbonation is subdued, as it should be.

A very easy drinking stout due to its thin-ness and low abv. A classic from a classic brewery.

04-16-2006 21:20:20 | More by nickss
kdmorse

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Black with a glowing brown lining around the edges when held to the light. A big scoop of tan head floating on top.

S: Pleasant, sweet, nutty, oatmeal, fruit, and coffee aroma. Hints of hops, but nothing to powerful. Oddly strong (apple) cider scent.

T/M: Creamy and nutty tastes. Sweet! Plenty of hops to even things out, but sweet. Buttery toffee and highlights of coffee. Lots of vague sweetness that can’t be described (maybe apples), but can be enjoyed.

D: Very easy going down. Light on the booze, but a bit heavy on the sweetness to drink all night.

04-15-2006 02:00:18 | More by kdmorse
cracgor

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a very dark black beer with barely a ruby/orange edge to it. The head is tan and very dense, tight bubbles. Smells a sour, sweet malty flavor. A strong caramel like smell to it, with a bit of fruity apple peel to it. This has an awesome flavor. There is a hint of coffee type malt that comes out toward the end of the swallow and leaves me saying Wow! A chocolatey, coffee. Up front it is that sweet malty, smell, maybe a little tamed. But regardless it is amazing. The apple peel flavor in the nose is not as strong to my tongue. Mouthfeel is not really syrupy, but it has a strong body to it. Very, very drinkable. Haven't had this one in awhile (a year or so) and I have been missing out on so much.

04-13-2006 22:11:25 | More by cracgor
dubman003

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Oatmeal Stout is my favorite kind of beer, but after drinking several other oatmeal stouts, I can't give this beer my seal of oatmeal stout approval. I think it's not as rich as an oatmeal stout can be.

Unfortunately, I think because oatmeal stouts are so good anyway, Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout gets a really good rating, but in the specific category, it just can't stand up to some of the smaller brews I've had. But, at the grocery store, Samuel Smith's the one oat stout you can be sure is going to be there.

04-11-2006 04:21:36 | More by dubman003
Greenleaf

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very dark, almost black. Leaves a tan thick pleasant lacy head. The smell is subtle, yet intriguing, and from first whiff the drinker can detect a slightly sweet malty aroma. The taste is smooth, sticky sweet, and almost chewy at the same time. The roasted sweet oat taste is evident. The carbonation is perfect. This Oat stout is by far the tastiest that I have discovered. Unlike some other Oatmeal Stouts, this one is creamy rather that watery, and extremely smooth. I would say that it is the pinnacle of any Oatmeal Stout that I have experienced, and would recommend it to any beer conosiour.

04-09-2006 08:50:52 | More by Greenleaf
scottoale

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Comes in a clear 550ml.glass bottle and pours an almost black, mahogany brown lively stout, with deep burgundy red hues coming through when held to bright light, this stuff is dark. The lively carbonation produces a thick, frothy tan head that's an inch thick, with heaps of micro-tiny bubbles keeping it alive. Tons of nice sticky lacing, trail to the bitter end...very appealing.

Bitter, yet sweet dark roasty malt fills the nose with an atomic strong coffee and bitter baking chocolate aroma thats fresh and spine-tingling rich. It's the kind of smell that I like to wake up to in the morning. After a bit of warming, a leafy-green hopness, peeks through the thick malt curtain of darkness.

The taste mirrors the smell with it's bitter-sweet coffee and chocolate, filling the mouth with flavors so rich, then meld with the hops to bitter and dry the dark roasty (almost burnt, if you will) malts to a beautifully balanced finish...oh yeah!

Feels smooth and velvety with a medium to heavy body, with a most pleasant aftertaste, and the alcohol hardly noticed. In the past, these dark stouts and porters didn't impress me all that much...lately I've gained quite a liking for the quality of ales that Samuel Smith has been producing, for as long as I can remember.

As tasty as this brew is, unless you really love your stouts, I doubt you will be able to drink more than one or two of these in a sitting...enjoy!

04-09-2006 07:42:45 | More by scottoale
pbr85

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle to a pint glass.
A: Pours dark, dark brown (but not black) with a 1 inch brown head. Lacing is pretty good.
S: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted barley.
T: Chocolate with grains, oatmeal, mild hop bitterness mostly in the aftertaste. Tastes good, though it is very subtle.
M: Good carbonation, though it is oddly thin to me for a stout. Goes down very smooth.
D: Would be a nice stout to have around. It is good, but it isn't great. Certainly worth a try.

04-07-2006 03:34:00 | More by pbr85
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours dark mahogany/black with a thick, creamy tan head. Very good lacing and head retention

Smell; Chocolate, honey, fruiity & vanilla notes

Taste: Bitter choclate, licorice & grainy bitterness. Fruitty/quinching finish

MF: Perfect, silky smooth & great carbonation

Great quaffability, I highly reccomend this ressurection (decades ago) of a classic from sam smith's

04-04-2006 03:52:21 | More by russpowell
BlueHammer

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This beer pours opaque, a dark brown with a thick tan-colored head. Head retention is good, and lacing is evident.

The smell is sweet and nutty. The taste is also sweet at first. The oats are apparant but not overwhelmingly so. This beer finishes slightly hoppy which provides a nice balance to the initial sweetness. It is smooth, which is accentuated by that sweetness at first.

Overall, this beer is warm and comforting . . . it feels familiar! It is a terrific end to a winter night - it leaves you feeling warm inside.

04-04-2006 02:56:11 | More by BlueHammer
ProfessorHops

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appearance- handsome. A strong looking drink with a nice looking thick tan head. Non deceptive.

Smell- sweet and clean. Elements of honey and wood.

Taste- rounder than most stouts. Truly malt influenced. The trademark stout flavor is introduced in the finish.

Mouthfeel- perfect!!!! I loved the feel, not to thick not to thin. Able to quench, but is still a stout.

Drinkability- when it's your first drink and your thirsty, goes down easy. But with a belly full of ale, this beer is moderately easy to drink.

An easy to drink stout, but not a traitor to the traditional robust flavor of the stout flavor we've all came to love. Cool!

04-03-2006 22:10:53 | More by ProfessorHops
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)