Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,998 | Reviews: 2,206
4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

poured from the bomber into my new belgium goblet. nice indeed:

A: dark, dark chocolate brew. thick caramel head settles leaving generous lace.

S: a bit oc chocolate but not much to the nose here

T: malty chocolateness, along with a bit of bready malt.

M: thick, luxurious low on the carb. no alocohol bite at all

D thanks you sir, can I have aother?

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- This beer pours with a voluminous head, active, very fizzy. It isn't a flash in the pan, though... creamy, tan khaki head, settles 1cm, thick staying power. Beer itself is brown, dark brown, with some deep deep coloration.

S- Chocolate, semisweet, with some mild caramel.

T- Subdued, but tasty. Cocoa (like hot cocoa mix), roasted malts, perfect breadiness. Rich, robust, but not off-the-wall in any one category.

M- Smooth, silky, sublime. A perfect stout... drinkable to a T.

D- High- Fantastic. I'm not the biggest stout fan, but even I can't deny this beer. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a into a tulip.

A: Deep brown/black. It looks like dark chocolate. 2-3 fingers of thick beige creamy head. Head subsides slowly, leaving a good lacing.

S: Sweet malt. Chocolate, nuts, a little spice and molasses/burnt sugar.

T: Rich, sweet and malty, but not overly thick or cloying. Sweet oats and chocolate a little spice up front and a balancing hop bitterness from the middle through the finish.

M: It's surprisingly light and refreshing for something so dark and thick looking. The "dry" sweetness of the oatmeal keeps it from being too heavy, I think. The slight bitter finish keeps it fresh.

D: Exceptional. It has complexity, medium body, fresh taste. It's wonderful to sip over time as it warms, but it could easily go down in gulps of flavor.

This was one of my first favorites back in college in the 80s. It's still one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

550 mL bottle poured into the SN tumbler. This beer has been on my lenghty list to try, so I'm very excited to give the sammy oatmeal stout a try.

The stout from Tadcaster pours a deep brown color with a tan frothy head after an aggressive pour. Lots of lacing lines the glass. The pour is quite pretty. The nose is quite sweet with the usual stout aromas of chocolate and coffee but this also contains some grainy nuts as well as malts. Taste is sweet as well with lots of chocolate. Where is the oatmeal?? Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crispy. Overall this is a very complex but well balanced that provides much more than the average stout.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured at 50 degrees into a snifter.

It pours a dark brown color, not as dark as most stouts I've had. Nice one-finger tan head with good lacing and retention.

The smell is a heavy chocolate malt with a little sweetness. Theres a lot of raosted grain coming through with a little alchohol.

Theres a bit of bitterness and sweetness to it. It's a bitlighter than I like my stouts, but still good. Theres a pretty good spicing to it as well.

The first sip is very smooth with an even flavor and nice carbonation. Nothing is too overpowering, I'd say this is a perfectly balanced feel for this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured my bottles into a 16 oz mug.

This is my review originally posted @ http://thelightonbeer.blogspot.com -

My buddy has been telling me for a few weeks now about Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. So, when I saw it at my local six-pack shop, I had to buy a few.

The two singles I bought were somewhere around $3.50 each, give or take a few dimes. They're bottled with a touch of class, with golden foil around the head and on top of the cap. The presentation just about matches the quality of the product, with the beer coming out on top.

Honestly, I don't know much about stouts, nor do I throw them down very often. My previous experiences with stouts involved Guinness (naturally) and some stout brew from Troegs, the exact name I can't remember. To take that back without using the backspace, this past fall I had some sort of double chocolate stout in a purple can, either 16 or 24 oz's (I enjoyed it out of a friend's fridge). I just saw it in the store last night...ahhh...I typed it in Google and found a picture. The brew is made from Young's. Moving on:

I poured the Oatmeal Stout by Samuel Smith (England) in my 16 oz mug (at least I think it's a 16 oz mug) using the straight down the middle pour that I'm under the impression goes without saying when dealing with a stout. I got a really nice head out of the bottle, and the smell is very nice. The head retention is remarkable. Mind you, I'm continuously swirling, but I'm about halfway through the beer and after letting the beer sit for over a minute, I've still got half an inch of head that is showing no signs of disappearing.

The taste is excellent. It offers flavor like a smoked beer (minus the salty beef jerky taste that I can't stand), roasted malts, black coffee, burnt caramel, with a balance that is stronger than any amount of bitterness that would show up, depending on the palate. Considering some of the stronger elements to this beer, it is pretty incredible that it fails to make me want to gag.

After enjoying two Oatmeal Stout singles from Samuel Smith, I not only am going to try another brew from Samuel Smith's Old Brewery, I'm going to explore more in the world of stouts.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a Sam Smith imperial pint glass.

Dark chocolate color, creamy tan head, great retention. Looks awesome.

Smells of chocolate, a hint of oatmeal, a little sweet.

The taste is more of the same, chocolaty malt, a little bitter on the aftertaste, just a hint of oatmeal. I was expecting a little more oatmeal, but it's still a very good stout.

Medium bodied, superbly easy to drink. A top example of the style and an all-time classic beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 550 ml. bottle into my Samuel Smith nonic.

A: Dark brown, almost black. Pours into a 3 finger, foamy, tan head. Slowly dissipates unevenly leaving sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Plenty of lacing remains as you drink it down.

S: A sweet but heavy malt. Grainy, nutty, a little mocha, chocolate, and a hint of nutmeg and molasses.

T: Heavy robust malt, with a hint of sweetness. The molasses and spice really come out. Just a bit bitter too.

M: Despite the robustness, has kind of a light feel on the palette. I think it's the sweetness, that fools you a bit. Lightly bitter aftertaste remains.

D: This beer is great to sip, but be careful... you can easily power it down too.

Atmosphere is great. Beautiful appearance, and a great, complex, well-balanced nose. Flavor is a near-perfect balance of hearty malt, sweetness, and bitterness. Overall, this is a great quaff.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz from Savemore. I can remember, once working in the reclamation dept. of a distributor, and an old coworker would always cringe when disposing of this when out-of-code. That's the hype for me.

A - brown/black...not as dark as an RIS but close. a good pour gives an inch of head that settles to tiny bubbles and sticks to the glass.
S - molasses, dark malts, some hops.
T - sugary, chocolate. i can never tell how the oatmeal works here. the sweetness is excellent. great flavor.
M - light, crisp. effortless. the carbonation is the only downside, but I seem to have that issue commonly and may not be pouring hard enough!
D - for a dark beer, the drinkability is oustanding. a good balance - great but not overwhelming flavor. the light abv is important to this.

would buy again and will enjoy the rest of the 4 pack.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Dark brown with an impressive tan head which leaves rings that won't budge down the side of the glass. Nice, thick, and sticky.

S: Some roasted barley and oat malts sweetened by molasses, hot chocolate powder, and brown sugar.

T: Strong roasted malts, some cacao powder, toffee, molasses, chocolate milk, and coffee. I can taste some oats, but their flavor isn't prominent. Much more of the roasted barley malt shines through as with a typical English stout.

M: Very smooth with almost negligible carbonation.

D: An excellent stout, though a bit heavy and taking a while to finish. I really enjoyed this and wouldn't mind more.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance- dark brown color with a caramel colored head.
Smell- sweet cocoa
Taste-similar to a cup of roasted coffee with a little chocolate and milk added.
Mouthfeel- medium water content
Drinkability- Very drinkable- finished this one within 5 minutes. Very enjoyable, complex, and flavorful.

The first thing I tasted with this beer is a medium bitterness. The bitterness is then taken over by a creamy, semi-sweet, roasted coffee/chocolate flavor. Its almost like if you were to put a little dark chocolate and a splash of milk in a cup of coffee. Although, most oatmeal stouts tend to have a more neutral acidic flavor than chocolate or coffee stouts. This beer is no exception- the acid flavor goes up and then comes back down with the coffee and chocolate. This is an excellent beer that is very well made.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

What more can be said about this old stand-by.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark chocolate brown with some blood red edges when held to a light. The creamy mocha head is a full inch that recedes leaving a fair amount of lace rings.

The aroma is not a strong as I would have expected. Roasted malt,coffee,cocoa mild bitterness.

The flavor is oh so yummy. Smooth roasted malt with hints of chocolate and raisins. A bitter black coffee bitterness rounds things out in a good way.

Medium to full chewy body. Not much carbonation, which makes it velvety smooth.

Overall a fantastic oatmeal stout. I could drink this all day.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance - solid brown and nearly black but if you look closely you see some red and brown. Toffee colored head which was sizable and tons of lacing.

Smell - strongest is the malts and barely followed immediately by the oats. It's a very sweet scent and it only gets better in it's taste.

Taste - the oats come through with the malt and it is absolutely delicious. With the malt you get the slightest hint of bitterness and it tastes like a real stout. You don't get anything like coffee or chocolate just pure oats.

Mouthfeel - carbonation is upfront but then fades. Perhaps my only critique is unlike other stouts its very thing and light where as traditionally it is a thicker consistency.

Drinkability - could easily drink a few in a night before it got too heavy for me. Truly a delicious oatmeal stout and will continue to drink it again and again.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Last of the Samuel Smiths 3-pack. The last two were good, so lets see how this one fairs.

Pours a deeep chestnut brown, boardering black. I would have thought it was black if I didn't hold it up to the light, where ruby red and mahogany highlights were showcased. 2 fingers of creamy, khaki coloured head with solid retention top this beer leaving some nice, sheet like lacing.

Roasted malts, burnt molasses, brown sugar, powdery cocoa and a subtle but strange sour apple presence. Still a solid smelling beer.

Molasses, roasted malt, cocoa, grain, light oats, brown sugar with a hint of coffee and buttery malt making an appearance in the finish.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Reminded me a bit of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Excellent balance, with the sweetness being perfectly stated. Light to medium bodied and RIDICULOUSLY easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent beer. By far the best of the 3 pack (which includes their EBA and EPA),d easily placed in the top ten beers I've ever had. St. Ambroise version of this is great, but I enjoyed this one much more. A perfect dessert beer but I could see myself having this on almost any occasion. I think this will be one of my favourites for a long time.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I must have walked passed this stuff a million times between all of the beer runs I have been on. The gold leaf cap and neck always catch my eye. Maybe because because of price or lack of interest by the group I'm usually with I never have had a chance to bring a bottle back to my place. I finally picked one up... here it goes...

A- Dark as dark can be, 2 finger head with creamy body that stuck around for quite a while and left a hearty lacing as it settled.

S- Chocolate, malt, toast (kinda bready but more toasted than yeast bread scent)

T- Honestly a little disappointed at the overall flavor, I'm tasting chocolate, cream, and something a little sour/sweet like ripe fruit. I can't pick up any of the "oatmeal" but I'm not entirely sure how much flavor of oat should actually be present in this beer. An average stout for taste

M- I have to say that this beer feels great in the mouth. Perfect body and carbonation and a warming feel not from the alcohol but from the rich texture of the beer itself. I really wish the flavors were a little more palatable to match the mouthfeel.

D- Average, mouthfeel is great but with its heavier qualities I might be taking a breather before I drink any in a session, one was like a liquid dessert

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance is almost black with a big 2 finger off white head. The smell is very strong of chocolate and roasted malt. So is the taste, with a little bit of bitterness as its going down. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect, almost creamy. Extremely great stout,highly recommend it.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a thin brown that collects into a black body. The redish brown shows through on the sides a little. You can already tell this is going to be a very sessionable stout.

The head rises to a beautifully thick and airy light tan cloud. It has exceptional retention and all the lacing anyone could ask for. This is one good looking beer.

S- Letting this warm slightly will strengthen the aromas. Smooth chocolate malts, powdery cocoa. It smells great but it is still a little subdued.

T- Grainy chocolate malts at first, some sweetness in the middle and a roasty bitterness to finish it off. The oatmeal comes in slightly at the end and hangs on in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, creamy and delightful. Thin body, medium to low carbonation.

D- Really sessionable and extremely enjoyable. This isnt too heavy or too light. Its a perfect session beer.

Everything I have tried from Sam Smith has been spot on. They usually set the benchmark for most English styles. The oatmeal stout is no exception.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Almost black in colour, but you really need to look at a bit to notice it's brown tone. Very dark. Almost opaque. It's espresso look-a-like body is crowned by crema-like head, tightly-formed with a rich tan colour. That cap of foam shows excellent retention and clings thickly to the walls of your glass. Deep brown sugar aroma underpins notes of coffee and raisins. Tastes more breakfast roast than french. Initial coffee flavour gives way midpalate to fruit and semisweet chocolate. Finishes with a medium bitterness. Throughout, there is an underlying gentle sweetness. While not the heaviest stout around, the oats do give it some noticeable weight on the palate. It feels much heavier in the mouth than it does in the stomach. Very smooth and velvety, with very little carbonation. Well-rounded and flavourful, and a pleasure for all the senses. Outstanding.

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%

I did a terrible pour the first time, so the head was huge. Second time head was much better, poured a very dark brown with a hint of dark red, and the head was a nice tan color, didn't last long but had lots of lacing.

Smell wasn't very strong at first, got but stronger as it got warm. Smells like bread, maybe a little bitter. Reminds me of some sort of food roasting in the oven.

Tastes surprisingly light for how dark the color is. Very smooth. Tastes a little smoky or roasted. Just a tad sweet, and not as bitter as I was expecting from how it smells. I keep getting a little bit of metallic aftertaste, which I don't really like. Metallic taste keeps getting stronger the more I drink it.

Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth. Almost creamy, but not annoyingly so. Very good.

Drinkability: the alcohol is very warm to me, but I don't taste it. I think it's a little heavy to drink a lot of, but it's definitely worth trying.

Overall it's pretty good, the mouthfeel is great.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint. Deep, deep brown with ruby-brown edges and a coffee-cream colored head. Low on carbonation, head disappears quickly.

Smells of sweet yeast or breads.

Definite roasty taste, with a bit of licorice at the back end.

Incredible mouthfeel, reminiscent of a cream ale. Smooth, velvety texture keeps the licorice in check.

Overall, very satisfying. Definitely worth buying again.

3.84/5  rDev -8.8%

Having never had an Oatmeal Stout before, and having just purchased a convenient Samuel Smith's mix pack, I thought I'd start from the top on this style.

Appearance: A body as black as night, just as ever good stout should be. Two and a half fingers of creamy head. Solid head retention, but not very much in the way of lacing though.

Smell: Rich chocolate dominates the nose with dark roasted malt to back it up. Has the barest note of oatmeal to it but really the big problem is it is all so subdued and warming didn't really help it out.

Taste: Sweet chocolate with a touch of grain to start, switching to a sweet molasses, brown sugar and a small amount of oatmeal taste and ends with a smooth light floral hop and coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth transistioning, slight chocolate and roasted malt aftertaste that leaves a slight creaminess in the mouth. The only thing I can take away from it, is the carbonation turns lax at around the one third left mark.

Drinkability: Wow, the oats must be what is making this beer so smooth, as very few stouts go down this well. It is a stout so I suppose it is expected to be a bit heavier on the gut, but it's fairly good as far as stout's go. Refreshing enough, but clearly a winter beer.

Final Thoughts: All in all, solid stuff here, nothing really to complain about. This would be great to have by a fireplace at the cottage or at Christmas. I'm not sure I'd say it's incredible, but it's certainly worth trying at the very least.

4.11/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a dark, dark brown (not quite black) that lets no light in. Started with about 2 fingers of head and exhibits pretty good retention - still about a finger of tannish head several minutes in. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Sweet scent seems to dominate the nose (dark fruits and molasses) along with some roasted malts. Pleasant, but nothing really special.

T: Roasted malts, burnt coffee, caramel, molasses, subtle fruit, and just hint of hoppy bitterness on the finish. Nice balance overall.

M: Oatmeal makes this o so smooth all the way down. It's really quite nice. Medium to full bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D: A well balanced, smooth, and great tasting beer. This, along with the 5% abv make this extremely drinkable. You gotta love how smooth this is.

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

I had pretty high expectations for this beer and after the first taste I thought it would be a beer that I would buy again. About halfway through however, there was an off flavor of sorts which could only be compared to rotting fruit. I did finish it but I was tempted to pour it out. Perhaps the fact that I spent $3.99 on it kept me from not finishing it. Overall, a very disappointing purchase.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance - Dark with reddish/carmel colors, with a very light tan head. Good amount of lacing. Head retained well.

Smell - Brown sugar/molasses smell right off the top, roasted malts. I liked the smell, simple and pleasing.

Taste - Pretty sweet with a roasted after taste. As I got further down the glass it seemed to taste better, almost had a fruit flavor in there. Not much bitterness

Mouthfeel- Not too heavy, kind of creamy. Good feel over all.

Drinkability- Really easy for me to drink, could drink quite a few of these.

Notes: I rather enjoyed this, was my first oatmeal stout. Will be buying more from this company as I just found they have several of their beers at my local fred meyer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

550ml bottle into sam smith pint glass

the brew pours relatively thin with a huge head and much lacing. the foam is a light tan colour, and the body is dark dark brown; it would be black except for the fact that light can get through it, even the center of the beer. mostly a malty smell, pretty light in intensity. it is not a 'clean' nose, but it is hardly trying to make a big impression. just kind of a malty, slightly oatmealy nose. the taste is much more oatmeal than one would expect in the nose. malts decently sized, and are complemented by an almost even amount of oats, which make the brew taste a bit sour. I like it quite a lot. the feel is a most a light-medium, but there is a very crisp carbonation that makes things a bit more exciting. the lightness of the beer, but the intensity and darkness of the taste make an interesting combination that I find quite chugable.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)