Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Once served to lactating mothers for its nutritional value I am soothed by this stout's character and drinkabilty. I found it in a Sam Smith Seasonal Sampler at Jungle Jim's. I wish I had a keg to call my own. The Imperial Stout is also first rate.

I would go out of my way to stock up on this brew. It is as close to brew perfection as I've ever been. The only brew I love as much is Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.

gusdabrew, Nov 08, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout into a pint glass. Nice thick head, light tan in color. Smell is a little faint, sweet aroma of malt maybe caramel or chocolate. Taste is really good, not as dark and heavy as I was expecting. Fairly smooth sweet oat malt flavor. After taste is a little tart/acidic but fades into a coffee and oat taste, very nice. Love the mouthfeel and perfect carbonation.

Overall: I was surprised by this beer. I was expecting more of a stout and more malt than was here. I like it better this way, so this is good. I recommend this beer, it was better than I thought it would be.

mc98gg, Nov 08, 2007
4.22/5  rDev 0%

This beer was poured into a pint glass at 52º from a 550ml capped bottle. Three fingers of a light tan foamy head resulted from the pour and reduced down to ½ a finger in four minutes. I cannot believe I am watching my beer instead of drinking it. No noticeable lacing was detected. The beer was a dark brownish black and very opaque.

A tan, burnt malt aroma was evident with the first inhale above the rim. Definitely gave off the stout bouquet with hop undertones and a bunch of caramel malt

There was a nice smooth taste with the first swallow with just a slight bit of bitterness. Nothing off tasting was bombarding the taste buds though. The second sip went better as the initial bitter seemed to subside. I would not mark it down for anything coming out in the taste department though.

The mouth feel of this beer was very good with roasted barley, chocolate and caramel slowly dissipating over time. I would almost drink this just for the aftertaste.

My first trip into the Samuel Smith’s line and it was very acceptable. Would almost make you want to get pregnant and become a lactating mother, well maybe that is going too far, but this one is good.

SMark, Nov 05, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours dark with a light brown head that leaves reluctantly with a lacey finish,

S- Smells good, slightly sweet with a hint of chocolate and oatmeal

T- Very good taste, hint of oatmeal with a sublte taste of chocolate, not too much bite on the back end but ends with a slight bite.

M- Good mouthfeel, smooth and crisp.

D- Very drinkable, no taste too overpowering, and it finishes clean.

DackAchan, Nov 05, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

A: India ink pour and intense foam dark mahogany head that did not want to leave but slowly settled.

S: Found a big nose of roasted coffee, chocolate and hints of sweet grain.

T: Rich mocha chocolate and milky slightly sweet aftertaste.

M: Smooth, silken and well balanced. Wanted to try an old standby after playing in the sandbox. Still great taste that never falters. I will be back.

D: I consider this as a great session beer…if the session is not too long.
Would give your left arm to be able to brew a batch this good! Next time you see it grab it and taste an old and still great beer.

NitroGen, Nov 03, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a dark black color with a nice ample, brown head. Aroma is strong and malty like a stout. Taste has oatmeal upfront and finishes with a coffee aftertaste that's very smooth. Very subtle and yet delicious. While not as strong in flavor as other oatmeal stouts I've had, I still believe this would make a great introduction to the style (Oatmeal Stout).

Brad007, Oct 27, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 10-26-07

Pours a very pleasant black, with just a hint of red licking at the edges. The enormous tan head lasts hours and leaves big, craggy lacing.

Smell is lots of chocolate, surprisingly complex with hints of oak and anise.

Taste is very malty and sweet, with flavors of subtle oak, chocolate, and even a raisin dark fruit quality. The English hops add their standard flavor, add it all goes together very nicely.

Mouthfeel is good, but a bit thin and watery for my tastes.

Drinkability is also good, but this is definately on the sweet side.

Overall, a very good beer. One of the first I've had where I enjoyed the English hops. Well made and easy to drink, and worth keeping around.

BMoney575, Oct 27, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Dark, opaque black with creamy off white head. Leaves considerable lacing.

S: Sweet, malty, fruits and some sourness.

T: Thick, sharp, very sweet. Malty and tangy. Roasted coffee and some bitterness in the finish.

M: Creamy, light, nicely carbonated.

D: Great intro stout. Easy to drink, but still that "meal in a bottle" feel that I love about stouts. Nice flavors, nice cult status, great beer.

cktison, Oct 26, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

a - poured a three-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a tumbler that left sticky sides and thick lace and sheeting throughout.
s - sweet malts and roasted oats. not as distinct as i would have liked though.
t - sweet and malty up front but chocolate really comes through as it warms.
m - slick but slightly thin.
d - nice sipper and one i can have a few of on a cold night.

GPHarris, Oct 26, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Nice very dark appearance, with shimmers of deep red when the glass is held up to the light very coca cola-like in color. Little head when poured, with some sticky lacings.

Not an overpowering smell, but picked up hints of carmel, malt, toffee.

Wonderful taste, with multiple layers of flavor, very intrguing and complex. There are hints of chocolate, coffee, oats, malts and yeast, not too much on the hops... a little thin for a stoudt.

Overall, this is a great beer, a classic, and the only stoudt beer that I can think of that comes in a clear bottle.

thartman, Oct 26, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

it always puts me off that sammy smith bottles his beer in clear glass. how well could they travel? oh well...

the pour yields some good foam, and it seems to want to last. the liquid below it is essentially opaque

the aroma is roasty and features an early suggestion of soy sauce. it's easy to get beyond that, however, and next i get a whiff of

so smooth. and oaty. sweet. it's almost tough to describe, actually, but so...good. not quite chocolate or cocoa (there is a little hop flavor in there, by the way)

bruachan, Oct 24, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Very black, no light escaping body, with a meringue-like head,
Smells of malt, has a unique black coffee element to it. Hard to describe, like a fruity acidic aroma.
Tastes of malt, biter chocolate, the oats are prevalant. Layered very well with a good balance between the tastes.
Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and sticky. Good CO2 for a stout this dark.
Very nice beer, a good entry level stout for those scared of the dark beers.

Homerbag, Oct 22, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Very dark , nearly black with just a hint of lighter shades when held up to light. Head was very rich and thick with good retention and color.

S - Malty, but with a little bit of an acidic twang. Did not smell as "dark" as expected

T - Good malty taste, but with a little more bite than I appreciate. Not as smooth as expected either. Not bad, just different than expected.

M - Good mouthfeel that matched the taste, more grainy and slick with a thinner finish than expected.

D - Good beer for a cooler night, and could drink a few of these. Not a seesionable stout, but certianly very nice.

BravoTwo, Oct 18, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

A- Almost nearly pitch black, but when held to a light you can see some ruby hues around the edges. The head is nice and thick and delicious looking with some amazing retention. The head is so heavy it dimples the top of the beer.

S- There is a lot going on here and I am loving it. Chocolate, raisins... a very complex aroma. Sweet with a hint of roastiness and brown sugar.

T- Very tasty. Some chocolate and assorted darker fruits, very light coffee flavor. There is something really special here and I absolutely love this. Has a slight English ale flavor to it, which is usually not my thing, but it is brilliant here.

M- Very light and creamy on the palate, perfect.

D- I was amazed by this, I am almost speechless. This makes me want to go back and revisit their Imperial Stout. The best oatmeal stout I have come across. I could drink this all night.

david131, Oct 18, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

When i saw this beer on a bottle list at a bar, the bartender was shocked i ordered it, and in reply i told him i love trying new beer...but as uncommon as my order was my review will be quite common i think...It was a dark almost espresso like color, and had a mouth feel very similar to such. It did have a chocolate and coffee taste about it, almost like a milk stout. It was definately heavier than most of my choices but an excellent one at best. It tasted great and I would definately have it again...

americanwolfdrea, Oct 17, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

1pint 2.7floz bottle. Pours very dark brown to black and a very thick, large, creamy tan head that took a while to drop. Nose is nutty, chocolate, very coffee semlling, a good smell. Taste is very rich, chocolate malt, coffee, nice and stout. This is my first Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and I have to say it is the best Oatmeal Stout I have had. Sweet and hoppy finish. A delicious brew. I'm going to have to buy more of these!

metallistout, Oct 15, 2007

A- Very dark brown, with tan lacing on the glass. Head dissapates quickly but doesn't go all the way away. Lingers for a bit.

S- Smell is of chocolate, oatmeal for sure, and vanilla.

T- Tastes of light creamy coffee, candy sugar, brown sugar oatmeal and buttery.

M- Mouthfeel is great with malty thickness. Not overly carbonated.

D- Drinkability is good. Kind of too sweet to me for a session beer, but one or two of these are good for the soul. One of my first stouts, so I definitely will be going back for more!

MMAJYK, Oct 15, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

550ml bottle from Party Source poured into a pint. No dating.

A: Deep black pour with some ruby hues coming through when it's held to the light. As with other Samuel Smith beers I've had, it pours lighter and kind of fizzy. 2 finger tan head that dies to 1/4 inch. Devent lacing.

S: Grainy and bready. Getting lots of dark fruits. Just a tast of sweet coffee.

T/M: Lot of sweet maltiness as expected. Tastes like dark cherries that have been caramelized in brown sugar. I bet this would be outrageous with homemade cherry or apple pie with a strong cup of black coffee. Just a hint of roasted coffee. Suprisingly, I'm not getting any sweet milk out of this. Body is light, as I've come to except from Samuel Smith.

D: Very tasty brew. Calling my Mother and asking her to make a cherry pie for Christmas :D

pwoods, Oct 15, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured this into a pint glass. Poured out a black color with a thick 2-finger tan head, that went away quickly. There was a mocha and chocolate taste with the oatmeal taste. The mouth feel was light, but suprisingly didn't coat my mouth like i expected. The drinkability of this is quite good. I could session this beer frequently and enjoy it everytime. Definatly looking to try more stouts after this.

KodyBrannon, Oct 14, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

After pouring this stout, the head settled down to almost nothing, not the slight creamy head I was looking for. It was a dark stouty color with not an over whelming amount of odor. There was slight hints of oatmeal and maybe some chocolate in the smell. Mouthfeel was milky and smooth, probably the beers strong point. I didn't encounter anything special in the way of taste, a sweet stout with a little oatmeal and coffee hints but nothing that really jumps out at you. To me, it didnt drink like a stout, too light and not very robust. A smooth beer that goes down easy and drinks easy, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a stout.

mcmidc, Oct 12, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

My first oatmeal stout. It pours almost black, with a perfect tan, to dark tan head. Smell was not as strong as I thought it would be, but hints of chocolate and mocha. Taste of this beer is wonderful. Sweet milk chocolate, and hints of coffee, then followed by the slightest hint of dark chocolate. Mouthfeel was good, very creamy. Overall drinkability was good, however it would be hard to have more then a few of these at a time.

nickynick, Oct 11, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

18.7 oz. English bottle,

A: Pours a very dark brown, looks black at first sight, but when tilted it shows its true colours, with ruby-red highlights. The head is a light brown colour, which stays around for the whole of the drink, and leaves some nice lacing.

S: Not over the top, an understated, subtle, coffee and mocha smell, with a bit of chocolate and cola.

T: Definitely a sweet stout, lots of residual sugar, a nice milk chocolate main flavour, with a hint of coffee, some cherry notes as well.

M: Relatively light for a stout, almost spritzy, but a nice amount of carbonation definitely adds to the flavour of this beer.

D: A great drinkable lighter stout. When I first had this beer on my 21st birthday it really stood out from the other drinks I had on that day, and almost 2 years later it still stands up. One of the best all-around stouts that I have ever had, certainly a joy to drink.

Halcyondays, Oct 09, 2007

A - Poured out of the bottle into a pint mug with a nice thick 2 finger tan head that settled into a nice sticky ring lace around the glass

S - The smell was almost a little underwhelming..I was expecting more from it but it was certainly pleasant just not as assertive as I was hoping..there were some caramel and coffee smells as well as just a tad of the bittering hops in the back

T - Very enjoyable..as with the smell there is a huge malt backbone to this and it has notes of caramel or toffee and mocha to it

M - Thick with just a little bit of carbonation..very creamy and smooth, it coats the whole tounge..very good

D - I wouldn't suggest trying to knock back a couple of these right after a meal..as this could be used as a meal itself..very filling..low ABV so it sessions well..as far as the taste goes..each sip is inviting and the brew is begging you to go for another taste

meechum, Oct 08, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was delighted when I came upon this stout in a little hole-in-the-wall place that had NO redeeming qualities except for keeping this and several other Sam Smith's in stock. People, this is a very nice drink. It pours very dark (not black) and has a pretty thick, tan head that disappears after a few minutes. The smell is nice, lightly sweet and not overwhelming. The taste is similar- you notice caramel (or something that tastes like it) but its not sugary. The taste itself isn't heavy- its hearty and complex, it almost tastes like it should be good for you in a whole-grain kind of way. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected from a stout, but pleasant. It's a heavy, meal-like drink; maybe you could have 2 in one sitting if you ate light beforehand. Overall, if you should find this one, you really need to try it.

MyGoodness, Oct 06, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I doubt I can write anything that hasn't already been said, but I mainly review for my own records anyway.
Poured from the 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Body is a deep rich dark brown color, verging on but not quite reaching black. The tan head is rather thin due to an overly-cautious pour. Sweet aroma of roasted dark malt, oats, a touch of brown sugar, and a hint of dark fruit. Palate is rich, mellow, and sweet. Rich dark roasted malt dominates up front, with the subtleties of dark fruit, brown sugar, and oats creeping in towards the back of the mouth. Finish is more dark malt with a bit of lactose sweetness.
The body is really the main draw here. The oatmeal lends a silky texture that is just sublime and fits the palate perfectly. This also renders the beer very easy to drink, ensuring that a solo drinker can handle the entire large bottle. A top notch stout from one of the world's great breweries.

ElGordo, Oct 03, 2007
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)