Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I loved this. Plain and simple.

It poured beautifully out of a 550 ml bottle -- near opaque black until you hold it up to the light -- then you see some fiery reds through the glass. A thick, creamy light brown head settles on top and lasts throughout the session, leaving beautiful lacing on the side of the glass.

The aroma is of dark roasted coffee beans and bittersweet chocolate.

The taste is very consistent with the aroma -- almost a pungent, sharp, mocha sensation. It finishes nicely with a bittersweet taste that lingers.

The mouthfeel is full and thick. And between the taste and the relatively low ABV, this is certainly a session beer. Particularly since it doesn't feel as heavy as you might think.

Best English beer I've ever had. Best stout I've ever had. About as close to a perfect beer as I can think of.

eberkman, Nov 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I approached this beer with some trepidation, since I - like others - had suffered skunked Samuel Smith beers in the past. Luckily, that was not to be the case this time. This beer was fresh, man -- no skunks for miles around.

Samuel Smith makes what is now my favorite oatmeal stout. That honor was previously held by Young's, but Sam Smith's is a more interesting, although perhaps not quite as smooth, oatmeal stout.

When I sipped this beer molasses was the flavor component that leaped out at me. The finish was also slightly sweet and syrupy, with that burnt molasses flavor in there.

This stout is as drinkable as they come and no sip is boring.

wanker, Nov 02, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I'm really hesitant to give 5's to anything, but I can't think of anything that I'd expect out of this beer that I'm not getting.
Black body, but with clear, ruby red highlights at the edges, and a super thick, long lasting and sticky head. It's a beauty.
A bit chocolaty on the nose. You've got the dry, roasty baker's chocolate thing going on, but it also has a bit of sweetness. too.
Taste is smooth, sweetish, chocolaty, just really nice. Mouthfeel is rather thick, with super nice carbonation and smoothness. The only downfall on drinkability is that it's a bit heavy.

DaveFL1976, Nov 01, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a pitch black, until held up to light and it appears very dark brown, with a huge frothy/creamy tan head that retains beautifully. Tremendous lacing decorating my glass as I enjoy this masterful stout.

Smell is of roasty toasty dark malts, roastiness, chicory aromas, dark chocolate, french roast coffee, and reminds me of outdorr BBQ aromas. Quite complex and stunning.

Flavor is of roasty dark malts, ripe dark fruits, mild chocolate, coffee, chicory, oakiness, burgandy, ending slightly dry. Again, wonderfully complex and hugely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is wondrous as well. Very silky smooth, creamy, rolls around on your tongue and medium carbonation. The perfect stout mouthfeel.

HIGHLY drinkable. At 5.0% abv, and the robust and addictive flavors presented therein, this beer is breathtaking and you cannot get enough of it. A classic amongst classic when it comes to stouts.

Doomcifer, Oct 31, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer pours an inky black color, with a brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer has a rich malty aroma. Some chocolate and coffee mix in, but only subtly.

This beer tastes malty. A sweet caramel flavor is dominate. Some milk chocolate is also present. Not much coffee flavor. A subtly hop flavor also makes an appearence.

I think this beer is a little thin. It goes down very smooth, leaving a milk chocolate aftertaste. It is well carbonated.

This beer would probably be a great session beer. It is not high in alcohol. Also, it tastes great, and is not overly cloying.

Overall: I cant believe I have never reviewed this one. It is always good, and always welcome in my house.

OStrungT, Oct 30, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured nice and black with a big tan head. Head retension is decent but not the best nor is there much lace sticking to the glass. It has a sweet smell of molasses and roasted malt. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth and semi sweet with flavors of chocolate, molasses, malt, and coffee.

Not bad, but I expected more considering the high score.

nicefix, Oct 29, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I haven't drank many stouts before but I really enjoyed this. Poured into a pint glass. Fluffy two finger head that lasted a good 5 minutes, still a quarter inch after 10 minutes. Great aroma. Smooth mouth feel. Some coffee and chocolatey notes. Great beer to savor every drink. Definetely try this one.

johnnasset, Oct 29, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Beautiful black color, with a frothy white head. Very subtle aroma; little touch of chocolate. Taste is amazing; milky, sweet, with a chocolate-coffee characteristic, with a very faint bitterness in the aftertaste. Sugary aftertaste; amazingly drinkable beer. This is one of the classics that first introduced me to quality beer.

medic25, Oct 28, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -14%

550 ml bottle, marked SG13B1, poured into a pint glass

A—pours solid black with a 2 inch dark tan fluffy head that slowly falls down to a pillow top that floats on top, lacing looks like Swiss cheese. Beautiful.

S—sweet milk chocolate, some sour, rotten fruit aroma is coming out very mildly, coffee is hidden …not what I was hoping for

T—bitter dark chocolate, bready and biscuit flavors are in here, tasting some of the sourness I smelled, faint coffee comes through in the swallow, finishes on the dry side

M—smooth, medium/full bodied, good carbonation

D—not bad, but not as good as I expected, I would not seek this out, but might give it another try in the future.

hanco005, Oct 24, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A- pours a dark black with a nice brown head that retained well and laced nicely

S- rich sweet malty smell, a little chocolatey, a little bit fruity as well

T- complements taste, sweet, chocoaltey, with just a touch of bitterness at the finish

M- medium/light body, good carbonation, flavor doesnt stick around too long in mouth

D- a very drinkable beer, goes down nice and easy, a good beer, would like to try off tap

gonzo138, Oct 19, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours out a nice dark concotion with very little brown to off white suds. No lacing here yet.
Smell is a dark carmelly coffee with a plum/cherry fruity aroma.
No alcohol present in the nose.
Taste is a grainy coffee bitterness with a fruity sweetness like a grape or plum. The bitterness finishes it off.
The hops are pretty prevalant here and the taste is never sweet.
This is Samuel Smith's best brew and rightfully so.
So many flavors happening here.
When you put the pint glass to your face you smell a burnt coffee aroma and the taste finishes that off nicely.
With the low ABV I could see this beer as a perfect session beer.

peabody, Oct 17, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

550 mL bottle into a pint glass. This one pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a reddish tinge on the edges. The head is a nice 3/4 in. one that kind of reminds me of the head on a root beer, only more compact. Lacing is noticable, but not anything over the top.

Smells very good; although my nose is a bit stopped up, I can smell some bready malt and maybe a tiny bit of chocolate and anise. The malt dominates the taste as well, of course. I really like the malt character in this one, and its sweetness is balanced out with just the right amount of hops (i.e. not very much). There's also a bit of a metallic taste in there somewhere -- sort of aluminum-ish (is that a word?) -- that I hadn't noticed the numerous other times I've had this beer. This is a really minor part of the taste, however. Overall, it doesn't really do much to hurt the smoothness that I love about the taste. And speaking of smoothness, the mouthfeel is nearly perfect. Smoooth and creamy, but they didn't forget to invite a little carbonation to the party. Yum.

This has always been a favorite of mine, and again I'm reminded why. After a summer chock full of hefes and pale ales, this has me really looking forward to drinking some dark beer again. If you like stouts and haven't had this, you're doing yourself a huge disservice, 'cause it's a real classic.

spaced, Oct 17, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark Stout color with ruby edges. I can just barely make out my 100 watt porch light when I hold it up. Poured with a nice toasty head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

Smell: I very much enjoy the aromas given off by this beer. Very malty smell, though my smeller is somewhat untrustworthy thanks to allergies.

Taste: I'm not sure how to describe the taste. It's not as bitter as some other stouts. There is a lot going on there, I taste some nuttiness, and maybe a slight metallic tinge after swallowing, but I enjoy the particular bitterness it gives off. Not too harsh.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, actually feels lighter in my mouth that other stouts I've had. Carbonation is spot on and doesn't detract from the tastes at all.

Drinkabillity: I can see why this one is rated so high. I can see myself going back to this quite a bit. After a long day out in the sun, like I had today, it's perfect for sitting back and taking my mind off of things. Doesn't give me the same full feeling I get from other stounts, so I can see putting a few of them down in succession.

DieselSnorter, Oct 16, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A-Off white head with a dark black body.The head is very frothy and its staying there.It hasnt moved any in 2 minutes.

S-Malt,I smell a faint hop pressence.It almost smells like a Bass.

T-Roasted nuts and small hints of chocolate.

M-Thick and easy going down.It sticks to your mouth.

D-I like it,Its my first oatmeal stout.I can see drinking this on a cold fall day.This is a "treat" beer as i call them.That means this couldnt be drank day in and day out,its nice to have once in a while.I would reccomend this to fellow BA's

MmmIPA, Oct 15, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from 550ml bottle black as night.

It smelled of chocolate and malt. The taste was pretty much the same. It was sharp up front. The carbonation level was perfect and made the experience better than I was expecting. This stout was quite drinkable. I'll have another.

Will this help lower my cholesterol?

AChamberlain, Oct 15, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Black, almost completely opaque body with just a slight ruby-red highlight, and a couple of fingers of tan head. Smells malty and chocolatey. Roasted coffee/chocolate and caramel dominate the flavor. A couple of slightly off flavors in the background, but roasted chocolate dominates them. Fairly sweet. Fairly full-bodied. Better than I remember. I am extremely impressed!

MrHurmateeowish, Oct 15, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a clear foil topped bottle; four-pack size.

Dark black with slight ruby edges, thick foamy brown/tan head that rose quickly and faded just as quickly to a thin line. Classic stout look.

Smells of rich thick oatmeal with hints of chocolate. Delicious.

Taste: quite sweet, hearty oat favor followed by sweet malts that linger, roasted coffee, little to no hop profile.

Mouthfeel : creamy and smooth, perfect carbonation. This stout is insanely drinkable.

This is one of the best oatmeal Stouts, it never lets me down when I'm in need for a rich drinkable stout. recommended!

loving44, Oct 14, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a slight head, due to a light pour (I wanted the entire bottle to fit into the glass). What head it has is tan. The body is quite black, but has a lot of ruby at the edges when backlit. The nose is earthy, most likely from English hops, andquite chocolatey and roasted, too. The taste is slightly acidic, quite earthy, and finishes with light chocolate/coffee notes. I do wish it were less acidic, but it's still enjoyable. The mouth is on the fuller side, with a surprisingly high carbonation. Overall, this is an alright beer, but certainly not worth the $5 I have to pay for it.

mjc410, Oct 11, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

One of the most drinkable oatmeal stouts I have ever tasted. I enjoy the results of fermentation in slate tanks. It has the best appearance, taste, and smell of them all. I like the fact that it is not too strong, so you can have several. I enjoy that it has no cloying sweetness and a crisp aftertaste. This stout has a luxurious mouthfeel and can be counted on to deliver everytime.

Slatetank, Oct 09, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

The stout pours nearly pure black, only revealing a dim brown hue when held up to the light. The massive foamy head is dark tan and was totally retained through a moderately slow drinking. I would have to say the smell has something unmistakable indicating it’s from Samuel Smith’s Tadcaster brewery. There is something underlying all their brews that comes out in the nose here. Beyond that, there are molasses, cola, rooty, licorice and anise smells; a very complex nosefull. The taste is so smooth and round on the palate with sweet, syrupy, molasses and chocolate flavors tempered by an alcoholic warming touch and a restrained hop presence. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and substantial. This is a dangerously drinkable beer considering its abv %.

xoqx, Oct 09, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Although this is only my second review, I've sampled this beer many times before.

I received this sample through the generousity of Paul Bussierre and Robert Hodson of Union Beer Distributors. I'm blessed.

Appearance - dark chocolate brown/black with minimal cream espresso head. Decent head retention considering the oats.

Smell - suprisingly minimal and subdued. Definite diacytel contribution and mineral/herb profile. slight burnt nuttiness in background

Taste - Superb. Wonderful balance, full-bodied but not cloying. Perfect amount of flavor hops. Delicate roasted barley and chocolate contribution. A real gem.

Mouthfeel - one of the best in the world. Absolute velvet silky smooth oatmeat contribution. I've worked with oats in dozens of brews before. It is a common misconception that oats add a full-bodied and grainy, sweet flavor. Their contribution to the flavor is actually minimal. Their strongest influence is in the texture. The oats in Sammy's Smith's stout make this beer indellible.

Drinkability - for such a rich beer, it's an easy 5 pint session. Bravo.

Sixpoint, Oct 09, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Okay, okay, big beer, big BA numbers, big legend. Lived up to the hype- to an extent.

I'm going to start in reverse in reviewing this beer. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty is way down. The burnt acidic oaky flavor make this one a little tough to get down. Very sweet, unjustly so.

Nice oak and earthy flavors. Big time whisky afterbite. In the world of stouts, Oatmeal Stouts just don't do it for me.

Not sure why, but my reivews of BA's top 100 end up being a little low!!????

FLAbeergutinMASS, Oct 07, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Dark as crud colour with tan creamy head, that takes it's time lacing to the side.

Smell is not too strong but is pleasant. Dark molasses sweetness with earthy aromas.

The taste is malty, molasses sweet, with coffee like bitterness. An earthy oatness comes afterwards. Deep, rich, and bitter sweet.

Cola-like body leaves flavours lingering in your mouth. A bit sticky, but the taste makes you want to keep it on your taste buds as long as possible.

Freshie, Oct 05, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

One of my all time favorites. Beautiful pour of deep brown with ruby highlights. Nice frothy head. Excellent aroma of toasted grain, mocha, fruit and on and on. Words don't do the taste justice... Flawlessly smooth and silky presence on the palate. Perfect semi sweet finish which makes this brew so completely drinkable. Bar none a marvelous creation that deserves the attention.

sinistermadman, Oct 03, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a thick brown with some amber tones. Also forms a caramel colored head with average foam. Looks nice.

Smell - Smells a pastry sweet, with hints of chocolate and caramel. Smell is strong enough that you can smell it even a foot away from the beer.

Taste - Pretty fulfilling beer. Slightly bitter hops, with roasted malts as the predominant taste. Its certainly interesting, but I don't think it tastes as good as the only other Oatmeal Stout I've tried (Wild Goose).

Drinkability - The beer is definitely drinkable, but better beers exist as a whole and in the category. I would probably get tired of this eventually, because none of this beer's flavors have made an impact on me that would cause me to go out and get more..

palffyfan, Sep 29, 2006
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)