Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Purchased from Publix on Whitesburg, Huntsville, AL.

A: Black as night itself, with a fairly thin tan head. Head is smooth and leaves considerable lacing. Nice presentation.

S: Sweet, coffee-like aroma with hints of malt and (yes) oatmeal underneath. Some chocolate way down deep. I remember the aroma being off-putting when I first tried this about a year and a half ago, but this is actually a very nice aroma.

T: Maltier than I'm used to with a stout, sweet but not really cloying. No real hoppiness of dryness at all. Again, much better than I remembered -- my palate has really changed since I first tried this.

M: Chewy is the word I'd use to describe it, almost as if it has some chunks left in it. (Probably just my imagination.) Thinner than a lot of stouts, but made to-style. Good.

D: Quite drinkable. I'm going to be buying this more often -- I like this a lot more than I remembered.

danielharper, Feb 25, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

The Old Tadcaster
550 ml poured into imperial pint glass
Very dark browinsh color with red tints on the edges. This is topped with a thick foamy tan head that is sticky and leaves laces down the glass...BEAUTIFUL!
Malty smells with a nice nutty/chocolate note. There is an earthy characteristic but also a coffee smell.
MMM good on the taste. Chocolate backed up with a nutty, coffee taste. Very smooth rich tastes with a thick body that goes down like syrup. Tasty bits of coffee build up the aftertaste and very sublte notes of alcohol. The body and drinkability on this are outstanding to say the least. Creamy milky tastes with noticable oats and a nice taste of black strap molases.
Again this is a very solid stout and one that I wish I could duplicate on the homebrew scene.

stewart124, Feb 22, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Opaque black. Thick tan head. Head sticks around. Light lacy fringes

Nose: Roasted malt. Very light sweetness. Subtle toffee and vanilla. Earthy.

Taste: Roasty malt tastes upfront. A large amount of oats. Dark chocolate and coffee near the end. Bitter sweet hops finish, though well balanced. Biting carbonation. Medium-to-heavy body (for an oatmeal stout)

Samuel Smith is one of my favorite breweries and the oatmeal stout is one of my favorite beers from them. Very very drinkable. I can have many of these in a night....

isubsmith, Feb 21, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I've had the Imperial Stout several times and really enjoy the deeper and richer flavors that it offers, however I find this to be just as enjoyable. The high quality of this stout is obvious and much appreciated. Many brewers attempt for a stout at this level and usual come short.

A: The rich black color is impeccable with smooth head that slowly settles.
S: The aroma of toasted oats and barley is evident and well rounded.
T: There is a perfect balance of smooth and bitter flavors. I slight tinge of smokey flavor is there to compilent the brew.
M: An extremely rich mouthful that takes some getting use to it. This isnt a stout for beginners.
D: While it does have a low ABV I really wouldn't call it a session beer. It is just too rich to drink too many of them. Two of them is enough for me in one. night

custardcb, Feb 17, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours out a typical stout, but the only glass i have is like a tulip glass, so a little more light gets through. I see light pushing through the bottom edges that give it a dark brownish amber. tan head foams up, nice.

Smells very much like roasted malts and toffee. a small sweet coffee aroma is there, but lots of toffee. the roasted smell gives it a great backbone aroma.

Taste is very smooth with the oats. More toffee flavors, but like burnt toffee from the roasted malts. A slight sweet undernote. very nice. A bitter chocolate touch comes out, especially as the beer's temp. goes up. aftertaste isnt spectacular, but more sweetness comes out with some coffee, like a very sweetened coffee with lots of cream.

Mouthfeel is great. Very smooth. Not the fullest mouthfeel i've gotten from this style, but it is full. Great balance. The perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall a great beer. Sometimes i overlook this, because of the price. I should get it more, but for special occasions (like when i'm sober). but really, a great beer.

acrawf6, Feb 17, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

got 3 550 ml bottles for christmas. Very dark in bottle, you can forget that the bottle is clear. I'm all in favor of traditions...but the clear glass should go. This bottle was fine but I have had off bottles...problem is most packy sell this if they're going to carry a "gourmet" beer....but not alll stores take care of them or turn them fast enough. The flavor was malty with choc and coffee overtones...but not as tasty as Storm King or some of the better porters. Mouthfeel also not as thick as I would expect form an oatmeal stout...but the oats do make it feel silky.Overall a good beer but not up to the standards of the finest stouts and porters

bobstockwell, Feb 16, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

550ml bottle poured into a chalice. The body is dark black with brown undertones. Thin, chunky tawny lacing - sticks to glass on the way down.

To the nose, the oddball oatmeal tang is present, although with this one it is more astringent than I'd like. Not a lot of sweetness depth.

In the mouth, this is a silky smooth stout. The creamy maltiness is overwhelming - but pleasant. Hop character is somewhat lacking, but who cares. Layers and layers of roasted malts abound.

The body however is much too light for my taste. For a beer with such over the top malts, this shoud have more chewiness to it. Very metallic and thin on the tongue and finishing. An organic finish is evident, but it is not hearty enought to speak about.

Musings: I've had plenty of these in the past - first review. I do love the taste of the beer - the body and feel is just too thin for my liking. Put it against McNeill's or even Troegs and the skinny feel is clearly evident. Even still, a first rate stout.

ChuckD, Feb 15, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

18.6 oz. bottle into a pilsner.

black with an inch of tan head that leaves tons of lacing.

light but very sweet aroma; sweet malts, chocolate and a touch of roasted coffee.

roasted malts in the taste with a medium mouthfeel and a heavy carbonation. leans towards the sweet side, but overall is a touch too thin in flavor. pleasant drink, but a touch too subtle in both aroma and flavor. the style in general is not for me.

Prufrock, Feb 15, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from one of the 12oz. bottles, not the bigger one. The brew gives a huge head of tan foam, large bubbles popping on top, tiny bubbles underneath. Black liquid for the majority, brown around the edges, with wavy blobs of foam on the sides, almost a sheet of foam on the glass. A thin layer stays on top of the beer all the way down.
The smell is sweet and spicy. The spicy being part mineral water, party earthyness, the sweet being oatmeal and toffee. Quite a unique aroma, especially for a stout.
The taste is bright in nature, malt begins with a slight acidic tang, a roasted bitterness follows, with no real hop presence. Oatmeal with sugar is the obvious example, but it's not overly sweet. Tangy malt with an aftertaste that's like toast.
The mouthfeel is medium to med/full, light carbonation, tons of flavor all over the place, sides, tongue and back of the mouth.
I love this beer (and the taddy porter), would drink a gallon of it.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Feb 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a large pint glass as a very dark, almost opaque black/brown color. Very boisterous light tan head with exceptional retention. Nose is rich, slightly chocolaty, with roasted malt predominant. Slightly sweet aroma. Taste is almost bitter-sweet, with a strong maltiness and some baker's chocolate. Deceaving mouthfeel that I want to call medium, but finishes rather light instead. Low carbonation. Finishes dryer, with lingering roasted nutty flavors. This one is a good one ... maybe a very good one if you particularly like this style. Smooth and a little sweet. Worth a try!

beerphilosopher, Feb 11, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

This one poured out a standard jet black stout color with a creamy and frothy tan head that had great retention. Very nice.

The smell was wonderfully balanced; a mix of sweet, toasted malts and oats dominated, with a touch of milk/cream. Delicious and inviting aroma, but not exceptional due to a very faint trace of alcohol towards the end of my tasting.

The taste was overall very smooth, creamy in the mouthfeel, with a balanced finish that contained the oatmeal paired with light, bitter hops. A sweet, milky taste was present, giving this a rich, medium body. Enjoyable, but not too thick or too heavy.

I could simply not put this one down. It's rather easy to see why this one is a craft beer classic. Delicious and highly drinkable

nouseforotacon, Feb 10, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -10%

550 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.This one came out of a three-pack sampler (with the Old Brewery Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale making up the remainder).

Very dark, but the head was light in colour with fine/medum texture. The head disipated quickly and left only minor lacing.

Smell was toasty/malty. Typical stout.

Flovour was nice and crisp for a stout. Some roast in the malt gave it a coffee-esq quality, but not overly so. It was refreshing and left me wanting a second. the package only had the one, so I tried the Pale Ale next.

Overall: Nice, but its not going into my regular rotation.

rabsten, Feb 07, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown almost black in color with a carmel brown one inch head. A toasty, granola smell. A smooth, sweet taste that lingers into a nice aftertaste. An oh, so drinkable stout that I feel sets the standard for oatmeal stouts. Often I use this beer to introduce stouts to my friends who prefer lighter beers. This is one of my favorites and I wish to try on tap some day.

johnyeast, Feb 06, 2006

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Very dark, some hints of red and tan, but very dark. Not much light gets through. About a half inch head that dissipated, leaving a ring of foam around the edges.

Smelled chocolatey, some caramel and some coffee. Also a bit of a candy apple smell.

Smooth, thick and creamy. Come chocolate, some coffee, some pumpernickle bread flavors. Not as striking as the Imperial Stout.

Light carbonation and thick mouthfeel. Interesting feel. Slightly bitter aftertaste and then it leaves the palate.

Nice beer. I prefer the Imperial Stout, but this is also good.

doppelmeup, Feb 04, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very black in color, a short tan head develops slow during the pour, and then fades quickly. The carbonation appears to be average. Smell is dry and chocolate-y, mildly hoppy. The aroma is a bit off, it reminds me of drywall, oddly enough. The flavor is like dry coffee, a bit woody, and slightly sweet. The finish isn't all that bitter, but it does taste slightly burnt/toasty. The beer feels well carbonated, its thick but remains smooth. Drinkability isn't bad for this one. I feel like my review is lower than most and I can't figure out why. In the past I've liked this beer more, and this time I got more than one bottle from more than one source to make sure it wasn't skunked, but I feel the same way about it each time now. I think I'll stick with the Imperial Stout instead...

bennetj17, Feb 02, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

No matter how many times I have this beer, I always forget the bottle is clear until I pour it. The beer is so totally opaque that it just looks like a black bottle. Its a straight up 8-ball blackbeer with about three fingers of rich, creamy, tan head that thins quickly but never goes away. No lacing this time around.

The nose is alcohol, fresh grain, dark chocolate, and a touch of that famous green apple. Taste starts with a mild dark chocolate/hop bitterness infused with a bit or green apple tartness. Goes metallic for just split second before that dark malt profile comes parading down the tounge. Actually got just a touch of oat in the finish.

Mouthfeel is rich and velvety. I have a few bottles of this old stand-by a year and it usually makes me wonder why I bother with anything else. Many thanks to Jwff for the Sam Smith gift pack.

JudgeRoughneck, Feb 01, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Dark, dark red mahogany in color. Reasonable sized head that looks a little fizzy and faded pretty quick. Pretty good, sticky looking lacing.

Dark berry scented. Vinous and licorice scents are intertwined. A cold alcohol bite too. Not particularly strong scented though.

Definitely tastes of oats. Some sweet chocolate and berry flavors. A dark licorice flavor too. Again, not particularly strong. Seems a little weak actually.

Sweet, creamy mouthfeel. A touch of bitterness at the finish. Meduim bodied. Mildly aggressive carbonation. Not too bad on this end.

Not a bad little stout, but it does feel like a little stout. I was hoping the flavor would be a little more aggressive.

skillerified, Jan 31, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer pours a dark ruby to black colour with a really nice looking inch of mocha, tan head.
At first the smell was a little vinous which got me worried, however the smell of roast barley soon made its way through the fog and into my head although not as pronounced as I was expecting.
Tastes of roasted barley with nice carmel tones. lots of coffee flavour, although the slight tartness i'm getting off this beer is making it taste like day old coffee.
The mouthfeel is absolutely great; lucious foamy velvet sliding down my throat. yum.
An easy beer to drink a few of although rather filling. I enjoyed the beer, but would like to have another bottle from a different batch. it tasted a little old to me. understandable vancouver is a ways away from Jolly Old.

sitbooboosit, Jan 31, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: typical stout: black. Actually more transparent than some; clear ruby highlights in the bottom 1/3 of the glass. Very fine light tan head is quite durable; still about 1/4" after several minutes.

Smell: huge sweet nutty aroma. Slight roasty smell after a few sniffs.

Taste & mouthfeel: It's probably related to the nice sticky head, but the body here just seems incredible -- chewy and thick. As for the flavor... wow. So complex. Nuts, bread, caramel, vanilla, smoke. Is this oak aged at all? Certainly doesn't taste like a whiskey bottle, but has some of the woody overtones I'd expect from barrel aging. I think it actually tastes a little like oatmeal! A slight roasty bite late in each sip is nicely balanced by thick nutty sweetness.

Drinkability: Boy, this is one thick beer, and as filling as one would expect from this thickness. Still, I'd feel OK spending a session on the Taddy oatmeal stout.

PeatReek, Jan 29, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +5%

Oh how I love this beer. Even starting to write a review about it makes my mouth water. The smell is fantastic! A rich roasted malty flavour that attacks your senses. You have to pour this beer then let it sit for a while. When this beer is too cold it destroys the taste. Like most good beers in my opinion. When it gets to the 55 degree mark start your drinking. You'll notice that about halfway through your already considering another one. Order it before you run out! If your not familiar with English brews don't be surprised by the lack of head. Thats a normal trait of good English beers. Enjoy.

1759dallas, Jan 27, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer is one of the most aesthetically pleasing I've poured. Deep and dark, with a solid, puffy head of creamy-tan appearance. It looks, come to think of it, like a giant goblet of espresso, complete with a glorious crema crown.
Scent is a sweet combination of treacle and unobtrusive yeast.
The striking initial flavour is molasses and burn toast. Sweet, but slight bitterness in the finish that linger thick on the back of the tongue. It feels medium bodied, but lightened somewhat by its carbonation.
A very drinkable stout. Oat flavours are not as evident as I'd anticipated, nor is it particularly complex. I was probably expecting a little more, and yet it is still very hard to fault this beer, as my score will ultimately reflect.
Not a beer I will be rushing back to, but a solid, quality product nevertheless that I know will pass over the lips happily enough somewhere in the future.

musingmonkey, Jan 25, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Very dark brown, almost black with a nice 1/2" tan head that disappated half way through.

S - Caramel, Chocolate, Coffee, sweetness

T - VERY complex. Every time I took a sip I swore I tasted something different. The most overwhelming taste is the molasses and chocolate taste with a slight oatmeal taste.

M - medium carbonation and medium to full body..

D - This is hands down the most complex and delicious beer that has ever touched my lips. If you want to quit drinking swill and start enjoying GOOD beer, start here!

xduderx, Jan 24, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This is it. This is the beer that started me on my transition from pounding cheap crap beer to enjoying quality craft beer. I recall it being absolutely wonderful nectar. Let's see how far I've come.

Pours a one-finger brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells soured black patent and dark caramel. Cherry sour with wet sweet and chocolate. Tastes rich dark caramel dominating cherry sour from underneath. Rough roast is tamed by gentle fruity esters and a hint of butterscotch. I'm also distracted from the concentrated coffee by the silky smooth mouthfeel. Hop flavor and bitter I'm not finding. Overall this beer is well balanced, falling towards sweet over roast. Md-light body helps the beer flow. An enjoyable visit.

Not as good as my fond memories built it up in my mind, but still a quality product. I think it was the silky smooth mouthfeel that caught my attention so long ago, rather than the flavor.

mentor, Jan 24, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a wonderful beer -- one of the classics.

Pours thick and dark, with a velvety flow, while releasing a thick, tan head, that sticks around and is easily whipped up for more volume. Beautiful. The nose is wonderfully complex -- I've been drinking this for years and there are still new things that come out for me every now and then -- some banana... some brown sugar, perhaps?... oloroso sherry? The flavor is deep and dark. Wonderful, rich malt flavors, with a touch of vanilla and the slightest touch of bitterness, seemingly introduced only to highlight the malt. Finally, the mouthfeel is perfect. A beer this rich ought to be syrupy and thick on the tongue, but this isn't; instead it's hefty but not too much so, with those oatmeal sugars gliding over the tongue and producing exceptional drinkability.

Highly, highly recommended. This ode to malt is fragrant, tasty, and luxuriant. Get it. Now! :)

geexploitation, Jan 22, 2006

Pours a clear, almost rootbeer color with red/purple tinge. Topped with a cap of frothy beige head. Starts with impressive lacing.
Smells sweet, toasted, caramel with a hint of butterscotch (you heard it here first).

I have to admit to not liking oatmeal as a kid. My mother would put in some brown sugar and some raisins. I still couldn't stand it.
If my mother had put a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout in front of me I would have gone through a lot more oatmeal as a kid.

Overall I enjoyed this one. It was fairly easy to drink. And oatmeal is supposed to lower your cholesterol!! We're saved!!

EvilKeith, Jan 21, 2006
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)