Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Balck wonderful brew with nice foamy tan head that falls to nice tan ring following the beer down. Smells of roasted malts, oats good earthy smelling brew of substance. Taste is perfect roasted malt, sweet oats with hints of coffee, chocolate, carmel and more sweet wonderful brew with touch of bitterness at the end to bring eveything together perfectly. Mouthfeel is great, you could almost live on this beer alone my favorite stout as of present can't imagine getting much better then this. Why can't all beer be this good?

mntlover, Jan 09, 2004

Pours with a light brown, one-fingered head, fades soon and leaves little lace. Light-medium carbonation. Deep red/amber color. Nose is a light roasted coffee. Heavy bodied, beefy malty/hoppy taste but has a sweetness to it, very smooth, very drinkable; $8.99 for a 4-pack of 12oz. Also $3 for a 550ml bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH.

jdhilt, Jan 08, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had never tried an Oatmeal stout and was looking forward to
trying this product. The description on the box was interesting
mentioned that outmeal stout used to be consumed by
athletes training for events.

Tasted very nice, not overpowering.
Full bodied flavor and a very rich head.
The aroma was pleasant, and the taste was amazing.

fes1, Jan 05, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Medium, light brown head.

Very nice, quite complex nose.

Very dark brown body with a few bubbles.

Good, full taste and mouthfeel, with a bit of sweetness in the aftertaste.

Overall, a solid oatmeal stout - perhaps a bit overpriced (at least in my local market).

findlayfan, Jan 02, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Dear me, this was good! Looked great. Pitch black. Nice frothy, creamy head which lasted quite a while.

As someone who is not a stout fan, I have to say: really good! This didn't have the typical astringent taste I associate with stouts. Incredibly smooth. Which gives is a very high drinkability. The taste was pretty mellow however, which I liked. But at the end of the day, something like that cannot get a 5 for taste.

Well done. I'll definitely be having more of this in the future.

GeoffFromSJ, Jan 01, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is one of the most acclaimed beers around, and with good reason. Simply put, drinking this beer is like drinking a desert. What surprised me was that this was more mellow than I anticipated. If this beer was kicked up a few more notches my grade for it would be even higher. I took this one out of the case, so my sample was pretty much guaranteed to be fresh.

This oatmeal stout pours a very dark brown/black color with some slight amber hints. A milk chocolate colored foam forms and retains well, but leaves minimal lace. I thought there was some dark red wine smell in the aroma, along with roasted notes, alcohol, and cocoa. The mouthfeel is smooth and soft, with light carbonation. The first flavors I detected were of chocolate covered cherries and other dark fruits, with some rum raisin. The flavor is definitely sweet. The sweetness struck me as tea-like, and even had a hint of vanilla to it. Some light espresso, mocha and hazelnut notes show up, and there is some alcohol flavor here that strikes me as being slightly brandy-like. All these flavors meld into mellowness, and the finish has a roasted, slightly bitter dryness to it. The aftertaste is clean with some roasted dryness and bitterness as the only lingering qualities. This one finishes out with some alcoholic warmth.

Overall, this surprised me with its mellowness and drinkability. This is a myriad of flavors and textures, and to anybody who says they don't like beer I would point them toward this one. A classic.

Beastdog75, Dec 30, 2003

Dark, dark brown, a little light gets through the edges of the glass. Slight lacing follows down the glass.

A sweet chocolate and marshmallow aroma.

Taste didn't wow me to the level that this beer is ranked. Good, to be sure; smooth dark toast mingles with a more subdued roasty malt flavor. On the sweet side, and finishes with another hint of marshmallow. Only mild bitter tones as the glass warms to room temperature. A little too thin and mild mannered. I like stouts to be heavy, chewy and assertive; this meets none of those criteria.

shirfan, Dec 27, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This has always been one of my favorite stouts.

I originally had this beer for the first time in High School and just recently found a place around where I live that carries it. Needless to say I snatched it up if for no other reason than nostalgia.

Anyway, the beer pours a deep rich brown, nearly black. The head was nice and thick and the lace stuck to the edge of the glass until it was finished.
I am a fan of Oatmeal Stouts and this one an all around good stout. I highly recommend it. The taste is great and unlike some beers you can spend your time on it without it tasting awful on the last bit.

LuckySevens82, Dec 24, 2003
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

As a stout lover this is one of my favorites. Looks very dark and rich in flavor. An off white creamy head full of complex aromas. Alcholic and sweet are the two that stand out to me. Very rich tasting but much lighter than other stouts Ive had. It starts off very rich and creamy and finishs slightly dry. An Excellent beer.

HochFliegen, Dec 22, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

The first thing that struck me about this stout was the aroma, Very complex, almost sweet, with what I thought could have been vanilla among other things. The #1 surprise was the texture and consistency of this beer, I was expecting something much thicker, more like guiness, and boy was I surprised, a much smoother, lighter consistency with a great taste and just enough flavor to let you know you are drinking something quality without being over whelming. It took me more time to get a good overall sense of this stout then I would have expected, a compliment to the complexity of the flavor.

qbushido, Dec 15, 2003
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I enjoyed the Smith Imperial Stout so much I thought I would give this a try. No regret.

Pours a beautiful dark glas with nice head and lace. Nose is vanilla, caramel, chocolate, earthy and alchohol.

Taste is mellow and beautiful. Like a milk shake. Smooth and creamy. A hair too sweet to keep from a 5 for taste. Malt and caramel are the prominent tastes; fairly sweet with a hint of chocolate. This is such a rich beer. A great desert.

I find it hard to rate any stouts higher than this.

daledeee, Dec 14, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A very black offering with a thick tan crown, then, thin lace with marginal cling and a thick bubbled ring.
The body is full. Carbonation by apperance is unknown.
Nose has a malty sweetness about it.
Interesting taste in that chocolate is obvious, yet bitter.
A malty linger sensation to end which was short.
Slight syrupy mouthfeel on closing.
Not a session brew but very nice for dining.

Shiloh, Dec 07, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -47.9%

Looks nice, with a fluffy light-brown head. Smells pretty funky, some plasticity and acidity. Flavor starts nice enough, although too sweet for my liking. Good molasses in there with the roasted grains. Finish is pretty bad, kind of like what I think varnish would taste like. Although I admire the distinctness of this brew and its fermentation flavors, I find it to be very unpleasant. Poor aroma and poor finish. How is this rated so high? I would like to see people's thoughts on this in blind taste tests so that there is no bias towards this popular brewery.

waughbrew, Nov 27, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

I had this a few nights ago at a tavern in the 355 ml bottle and wasn't impressed (old, musty, excessively yeasty). But I decided to give it another shot for this review, and picked up a 550 ml bottle from a different establishment. So: pours a deep, deep brown; basically black at the center; rosewood/chestnut highlights appear when brew is held to light. Not much of a head on first pour, just a thin film of foam... a more vigorous pouring on the second attempt revealed an off-white to tan, dusky head about two fingers deep that eventually settled slightly. And the aroma... what a difference there was between this bottle and my previous sample! So much fresher, with a pleasant smell of fresh bread, rolled oats and a raisiny touch up front, sustained by a pervasive cream sherry sweetness throughout. The flavor continues the trend: more distinct cream sherry tones accompany a dark (almost pumpernickel?), oatmealy midpalate while remaining subtle and light. Suggestions of black bread, prunes, and puffed wheat cereal round everything out, punctuated by a bit of English hop dryness. Near perfect mouthfeel. Creamy and light, stunningly silky and smooth, but also tingly, dry, and warming... almost distributes itself across the palate without you even trying. Nowhere near the density I expected from such mealy flavors and aromas. Drinkability is hampered (if you can call it that) only because the brew is deeply satiating and filling--a beer to be savored and slowly digested--a bottle at a time will be enough. Tasty; soothing. Recommended.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Nov 25, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Deep, dark, mahogany pour with a thick, lush, frothy head that lasts and lasts, leaving creamy lace everywhere.
Smell: Roasted malt, earthy, espresso and bitter chocolate.
Taste & Mouthfeel: Stunningly rich, smooth, and creamy malt start, followed by an alcohol/carbonation tingle, that subsides with a semi-dry hop finish that allows some of the roasty, earthy, malt sweetness to linger in the aftertaste.
Drinkability: Obviously a tremendous stout. The oatmeal takes some of the more exciting stout edges off IMO, but if this is all I can find to complain about, I'm in heaven.

DagFishHead, Nov 23, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

One word comes to mind when I drink this brew...smoothe! This beer poures a dark dark brown with just a little light being able to sneak through the edges and a nice tan head that leaves a nice lace down to the last drop. The smell has hints of roasted toffee and carmel and a little bit of coffee scent as well. The taste is out of this world, not only is is the smoothest stout you could ask for, it tastes just as it smells with a carmel, toffee and coffee flavor but with just the right ammount of sweetness to round it out. This is a great dark beer to give someone to introduce them to the stout/porter style.

Dmann, Nov 22, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 550ml clear bottle. No freshness date.

Opaque brown. Sticky rosy tan head with excellent retention. Subtle earthy and sweet aroma with hints of roasted malt. Taste walks a fine line between strong earthy malt and milky sweetness. A touch of hops makes it's presence known toward the finish although it quickly yields to a burnt coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth.

It's been a while since I've had one, and I had forgotten how wonderful this beer is. The usual complaints about the clear bottles not withstanding, Samuel Smith has always been one of my favorites. While not my favorite from them, this one is still a top notch brew. As has been mentioned before, this is great intro stout for those looking to delve into the style.

silks636, Nov 21, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle. Quite a surprise to find the bottle clear, but the top is foil wrapped and the pour is a very dark brown. Thick beige head eventually calms down to reveal a bit of the cherry color on the outside rim that was noted by some other reviewers. Don't know where that cherry hue comes from, but it makes for an exceptional appearance. Dark malts and chocolate dominate the nose, but there are hints of fresh baked bread and cooked oatmeal. Smooth, full bodied and filling in the mouth. Taste is of a well balanced stout that ehoes the nose. Very tasty. I took my time with this one because it's just too good to finish(it's my only one). One of the best that I've reviewed. My only complaint is a somewhat unpleasant syrupy aftertaste, but I guess that goes with the territory. Can't wait to get some more of these. I like oatmeal, stouts, and English brews, so a quality oatmeal stout like this is very seductive to my senses and perspective, as well as my sense of perspective.

merlin48, Nov 19, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: black pour with a generous tan head that slims donw after a few moments.

Smell: plenty of roasted malt and enormous hints of cocoa. i little chocolatey as well. a very apetizing nose.

Taste: again, a nice roatsed flavour of oates and malt. hints of cocoa and chovolate give the beer nice body without being heavy. a very nicely, lingering finish that leaves a chalky-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: smooth with still a hint of liveliness. leans toward a dry and fullfilling finish.

Drinkability: world class. one of the best oatmeal stout sin the world, hands down.

Popsinc, Nov 18, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This review earns my mug for 100 karma points, so I had to pick a top 50 beer I hadn’t reviewed yet. A quick review of my stock showed I hadn’t reviewed one of my favorites, so here we go. Note: stored this beer on its side in a drawer in my beer fridge (space issue, not a conscious choice). Held the beer for a good 6 months that way, and noted when I opened it, it tried to gush. Tried to: head formed up to just above the lip, but held steady there. Clear bottle (ick) 550 ml bomber with foil cap, no date.
Aroma: Roasted malt with a hint of hop. A has that classic stout nose, much like Guinness. Bread like notes are prominent.
Appearance: Black, with strong back light showing, well… the slightest clear black. Hefty tan head of 3 fingers when poured settled down to a brown coat with a variety of large and small bubbles. Nice thick lace graced my mug, and the head lasted throughout my beer.
Flavor: The deep roasted malt and oats give a rich earthy goodness to the overall flavor, and I tasted the hops deep in there keeping the brew well balanced. The profile seems to go: sweet rich malt, gentle twang of hops, odd metallic low point, concluding with a smooth long semi-sweet chocolate finish.
Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy with lots of chew. No carbonation noted and a slight numbing tingle experienced in the aftertaste. Very smooth stuff. The oats give a nice coating to your whole mouth that slowly fades into the sunset.
Overall Impression: Hard to figure how such a heavy, rich tasting beer comes off as light and refreshing. This is an excellent beer all around, and a personal favorite, but that odd metallic bottoming out spot is a bit distracting. It may be due to my unorthodox storage, or I may have let this one go a bit longer than I should have. Beautiful balance, wonderful quality, chug-ability, just about everything you could want in a beer. Scratches every beer itch I have. Strongly recommended.

HardTarget, Nov 18, 2003
3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout scared me very much!

As a beer drinker I have not yet moved up to the darker stout beers. I still think Guiness is mud! With that I said hell lets give this Oatmeal Stout a try.

At Petersons liquor store on rte. 70/Brielle Bridge I purchased the 550 ml bottle ($3.75)

This beer poured a very dark reddish brown with a fluffy dark tan head.
The smell was of burnt coffee- that worried me!
The first sip proved that it was velvety smooth and soft.
The taste was actually very good! It was a light coffee/chocolate flavor that wasn't bitter or harsh yet smooth and enjoyable.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is a very good sipping beer that would go nice with a meal. Enjoy slowly.

Not a chugging or partying beer!

NJpadreFan, Nov 11, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +5%

I bought a 550ml bottle for $2.99. It poured a very dark brown, much like the imperial stout. Much sweeter taste. Less fruiter than the imperial which tasted like raisins. This is sweet yet subtle in the oatmeal flavor. A very dark malt is present in this one. I drink it alot at Phish concerts, and it is a favortie choice at home. I do like the imperiral stout more, however.

AbePhroman, Nov 05, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

This stout has a sharp, "bite" to it, with the mild stouty oat flavor. Delicious to drink for sampling and for those Friday nights. It's flavor is different than other oatmeals and is more highly recommended for those wanting to try an oatmeal. It captures the essence of oatmeals without the taste disappearing due to nitrous cans.

rorytmeadows, Oct 28, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a wonderful tan head and is black as a moonless, starless night. I just had to dip my pointer finger into the foam, as if it were whipped cream. The appearance is that tempting. Super-tight carbonation and the lacing is well-provided.

This oatmeal stout is remarkably smooth, undeniably accessible, and a true gem in the beer world. The taste has a true award-winning style. Smells of black licorice, leather, earth, and freshly ground coffee beans. Full malt flavors, even a mild taste of what I would call an "Irish Cream" flavor. Rich, buttery smoothness...and the finish is as mild and friendly as a tall, cold glass of milk after woofing down some homemade chocolate chip cookies. There is a nuance of a "chew" in the finish and an tiny note of spice in the end. (I think I am tasting something nutmeg-like.) Vinous feel from this offering, perhaps a California Zinfandel? A comparison to ponder and test out.

I like this as my dessert. I don't need much else.

I could consider this a "comfort beer". I'm going to miss it when it is gone.

Zraly, Oct 26, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This one certainly deserves its place on the Top50 list.

A: Dark brown, attractive color, a meedium off white head is slow to fade but leaves littel lace down the glass

S: Fruity smell with a deep overtone that defies recognition (at least I couldn't identify it). Very nice

T: Wow! Sweet caramel and raisins with a complex, well crafted malt profile. Each mouthful highlights just a little different taste in the beer. Sure keeps you interested.

M: Smooth and creamy, it lingers just long enough without interfering with anything else.

D: Very drinkable, I hnestly expected a bitter taste, but not at all.

Highly recommended, this is a GREAT beer.

TAMU99, Oct 24, 2003
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)