Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

When i saw this beer on a bottle list at a bar, the bartender was shocked i ordered it, and in reply i told him i love trying new beer...but as uncommon as my order was my review will be quite common i think...It was a dark almost espresso like color, and had a mouth feel very similar to such. It did have a chocolate and coffee taste about it, almost like a milk stout. It was definately heavier than most of my choices but an excellent one at best. It tasted great and I would definately have it again...

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

1pint 2.7floz bottle. Pours very dark brown to black and a very thick, large, creamy tan head that took a while to drop. Nose is nutty, chocolate, very coffee semlling, a good smell. Taste is very rich, chocolate malt, coffee, nice and stout. This is my first Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and I have to say it is the best Oatmeal Stout I have had. Sweet and hoppy finish. A delicious brew. I'm going to have to buy more of these!

A- Very dark brown, with tan lacing on the glass. Head dissapates quickly but doesn't go all the way away. Lingers for a bit.

S- Smell is of chocolate, oatmeal for sure, and vanilla.

T- Tastes of light creamy coffee, candy sugar, brown sugar oatmeal and buttery.

M- Mouthfeel is great with malty thickness. Not overly carbonated.

D- Drinkability is good. Kind of too sweet to me for a session beer, but one or two of these are good for the soul. One of my first stouts, so I definitely will be going back for more!

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

550ml bottle from Party Source poured into a pint. No dating.

A: Deep black pour with some ruby hues coming through when it's held to the light. As with other Samuel Smith beers I've had, it pours lighter and kind of fizzy. 2 finger tan head that dies to 1/4 inch. Devent lacing.

S: Grainy and bready. Getting lots of dark fruits. Just a tast of sweet coffee.

T/M: Lot of sweet maltiness as expected. Tastes like dark cherries that have been caramelized in brown sugar. I bet this would be outrageous with homemade cherry or apple pie with a strong cup of black coffee. Just a hint of roasted coffee. Suprisingly, I'm not getting any sweet milk out of this. Body is light, as I've come to except from Samuel Smith.

D: Very tasty brew. Calling my Mother and asking her to make a cherry pie for Christmas :D

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured this into a pint glass. Poured out a black color with a thick 2-finger tan head, that went away quickly. There was a mocha and chocolate taste with the oatmeal taste. The mouth feel was light, but suprisingly didn't coat my mouth like i expected. The drinkability of this is quite good. I could session this beer frequently and enjoy it everytime. Definatly looking to try more stouts after this.

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

After pouring this stout, the head settled down to almost nothing, not the slight creamy head I was looking for. It was a dark stouty color with not an over whelming amount of odor. There was slight hints of oatmeal and maybe some chocolate in the smell. Mouthfeel was milky and smooth, probably the beers strong point. I didn't encounter anything special in the way of taste, a sweet stout with a little oatmeal and coffee hints but nothing that really jumps out at you. To me, it didnt drink like a stout, too light and not very robust. A smooth beer that goes down easy and drinks easy, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a stout.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

My first oatmeal stout. It pours almost black, with a perfect tan, to dark tan head. Smell was not as strong as I thought it would be, but hints of chocolate and mocha. Taste of this beer is wonderful. Sweet milk chocolate, and hints of coffee, then followed by the slightest hint of dark chocolate. Mouthfeel was good, very creamy. Overall drinkability was good, however it would be hard to have more then a few of these at a time.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

18.7 oz. English bottle,

A: Pours a very dark brown, looks black at first sight, but when tilted it shows its true colours, with ruby-red highlights. The head is a light brown colour, which stays around for the whole of the drink, and leaves some nice lacing.

S: Not over the top, an understated, subtle, coffee and mocha smell, with a bit of chocolate and cola.

T: Definitely a sweet stout, lots of residual sugar, a nice milk chocolate main flavour, with a hint of coffee, some cherry notes as well.

M: Relatively light for a stout, almost spritzy, but a nice amount of carbonation definitely adds to the flavour of this beer.

D: A great drinkable lighter stout. When I first had this beer on my 21st birthday it really stood out from the other drinks I had on that day, and almost 2 years later it still stands up. One of the best all-around stouts that I have ever had, certainly a joy to drink.

A - Poured out of the bottle into a pint mug with a nice thick 2 finger tan head that settled into a nice sticky ring lace around the glass

S - The smell was almost a little underwhelming..I was expecting more from it but it was certainly pleasant just not as assertive as I was hoping..there were some caramel and coffee smells as well as just a tad of the bittering hops in the back

T - Very enjoyable..as with the smell there is a huge malt backbone to this and it has notes of caramel or toffee and mocha to it

M - Thick with just a little bit of carbonation..very creamy and smooth, it coats the whole tounge..very good

D - I wouldn't suggest trying to knock back a couple of these right after a meal..as this could be used as a meal itself..very filling..low ABV so it sessions well..as far as the taste goes..each sip is inviting and the brew is begging you to go for another taste

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was delighted when I came upon this stout in a little hole-in-the-wall place that had NO redeeming qualities except for keeping this and several other Sam Smith's in stock. People, this is a very nice drink. It pours very dark (not black) and has a pretty thick, tan head that disappears after a few minutes. The smell is nice, lightly sweet and not overwhelming. The taste is similar- you notice caramel (or something that tastes like it) but its not sugary. The taste itself isn't heavy- its hearty and complex, it almost tastes like it should be good for you in a whole-grain kind of way. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected from a stout, but pleasant. It's a heavy, meal-like drink; maybe you could have 2 in one sitting if you ate light beforehand. Overall, if you should find this one, you really need to try it.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

I doubt I can write anything that hasn't already been said, but I mainly review for my own records anyway.
Poured from the 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Body is a deep rich dark brown color, verging on but not quite reaching black. The tan head is rather thin due to an overly-cautious pour. Sweet aroma of roasted dark malt, oats, a touch of brown sugar, and a hint of dark fruit. Palate is rich, mellow, and sweet. Rich dark roasted malt dominates up front, with the subtleties of dark fruit, brown sugar, and oats creeping in towards the back of the mouth. Finish is more dark malt with a bit of lactose sweetness.
The body is really the main draw here. The oatmeal lends a silky texture that is just sublime and fits the palate perfectly. This also renders the beer very easy to drink, ensuring that a solo drinker can handle the entire large bottle. A top notch stout from one of the world's great breweries.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Like this one needs another review!

Well, here's the classic English Oatmeal Stout -- the one that introduced so many to the style. While it's true that there are other oatmeal stouts I would prefer to drink all day than Sam Smith's version, this is still one of the benchmarks to which all other oatmeals can be compared.

Dark, rich, expertly balanced, and savory. Very approachable. American brewers take this ball and run with it, accentuating some of the subtle notes in this enjoyable brew, such as the patent malts, with their flinty and almost ashy flavor. Some Americans also push the oats and flaked barley, making for a more full, slick mouthfeel. But if you're looking for a traditional, consistent oatmeal stout, this is one to admire.

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours nice from the bottle with a fair amount of head, even if it's not as much as I'm used to seeing from a stout. Nice dark tones, but again not as dark as I'm used to seeing in a stout. It has a slight stout aroma, but nothing as strong as I'm used to seeing from a stout, just a hint of bitters and a very, very slight waft of oatmeal. It does go down smooth, it's texture being its best quality in my opinion. It has a nice stout flavor, but there is not one flavor that really comes out, making it a mild stout.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Another good one from Sam Smith's. I have nothing bad to say about Sam Smith's except their beer, although outstanding, is way overpriced. This one pours a nice creamy head. Body is medium/heavy. Interesting taste. Very buttery and filling. Nice hoppy notes on the back. Smells decent, of some almonds and oatmeal. A very nice brew I would session out on if it were a little more resonably priced.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

16.9 ounce bottle from Trader Joe's in Westchester

Pours dark brown into my pint glass with a huge white head

Not as dark as I thought it would be, smell is good, very grainy, some chocolate and roasted barley

Pretty much a meal because of thickness, comparable to Guinness with its appearance

Very malty and not very drinkable because it is so heavy, chewy at times as well

Would drink again especially for the price

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

So, as the cooler months approach I start to yearn for a good stout. So then, why not have the pride of England's infamous Oatmeal Stout.

A thick and stubbornly immobile head and a completely opaque, black hole of a body are two of my favorite physical features in a quality stout and this stout lacks the former.

It smells a little too sweet for an oatmeal stout in my opinion. I'm looking for down and dirty maltshake and I got a sweet and tart front nose.

Taste falls short on the same grounds as my gripe with this brews smell. I really could have used a more substantially thickened, mouth-filling monster of a stout but I get more of a refreshing cola out of this.

Mouthfeel as I have aforementioned lacked thickness in my opinion.

Drinkability was exceptional but I refused it an exceptional grade due to its over-drinkability. I could have used something that cure my hunger in a half-pint. Bring on a case of this and I'll still need stout quenching.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Serving Type: 1 pint and some odd ounces

Appearance: Pours a lovely dark black that lets very little light through, a tan 2 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving a light ring behind.

Smell: roasted dark Coffee w/ strong caramel. VERY inviting

Taste: Fantastic. Roasted coffee, molasses and caramel that lingers throughout the drink. Not overly sweet but in no way bitter. Rich and creamy The combination of the roasted coffee(slight bitterness) w/ the molasses makes for a fantastic combination...neither is overpowering and both combined make for a very enjoyable taste. Not a overly complex beer but damn does it taste great

Mouthfeel: Great....very smooth w/ little carbonation. Lingers slighty on the sides of the mouth and also leaves the slight molasses/caramel taste behind

Drinkability: God, it's smooth and tasty...what isn't to love? My only disappointment is that I only bought one to try. A great session beer that can easily be enjoyed throughout the night next to a warm fire. I'm in love

--I will being writing a review of the Young's Oatmeal stout to see how they compare but I'm not sure if it can top this fine drink. A great stout and I look forward to trying some of the other Samuel Smith's beers tonight and tomorrow. Cheers

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a good beer. Dark in color - completely black with light behind it. Head was about a finger-width upon pouring at about 40F. May have been a little cold for this beer. Head dropped to a nice lace in about 3 minutes. The smell is a little harder to pick up than some stouts, but it has a nice roasted aroma. Upon tasting, I found that it has a strong roasted grain flavor with bitter and alcoholic undertones. The alcohol does not stand out, and you have to search for it to find the taste. This drinks very well, better than Guinness in my opinion. The mouthfeel is thick and coating, which is expected of this style.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Enjoyed this beer during our New Year's Eve Party on 12/31/06. Was given to me for winning a bet. Drank straight from the bottle.

Appearance: Nice black color through the bottle.

Smell: Roasted coffee and very malty.

Taste: Delicious! Very robust and silky smooth

Mouthfeel: A meal in a glass. The kind of beer you want to bite into.

Drinkability: Very smooth. Excellent aftertaste.

This just might be my favorite beer. My only tasting came during a party in which I tasted a few beers for the first time but this one has stayed in my mind as the best of the night and I don't recall ever tasting a beer that I enjoyed as much as this one.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Pour an almost-opaque mahogany from a 550ml bottle. The thick, tan, foamy head leaves tight lacing. Red highlights when held up to the light. Smells like espresso, sweet malt and dark chocolate with some raisiny scents. Taste is like coffee and toffee with some alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, more so as it warms. Another great beer from Samuel Smith.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 550ml clear bottle into a pint glass. It was pitch black even against a light. I gave a hard pour so it had a massive light brown head. It slowly settled into a constant foam with some lacing. The aroma was roasted and chocolate malts with a sweetness in the background. It was weaker than I remember so might need to rereview later. The taste was great. Nutty and chocolately. Very smooth from start to finish. Almost session beer smooth. The taste won't blow you away but you find yourself drinking it down and going back for more so I bumped the drinkability to reflect that. Mouthfeel was good but wanted a little creamier. It was just a little watery. Overall, an excellent brew that I highly recommend. This one has a home in the semi regular rotation. (4.5, RR, T, Y)

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Pours a dark black with some hints of brown. A big solid looking head. Tons of brown lace.

S - Syrupy dark sweetness and milled oats too. Some cold coffee and roasted grain notes. Slightly chocolaty, somewhat nutty, and very much like molasses.

T - Some chocolate flavors are there too, and they are backed up by a balancing twinge of sour roasted grain bitterness and some gentle leafy hops. I also noticed some very slight grapey flavors somewhere in there.

M - It's extremely well built and feels weighty in my mouth. The carbonation is almost non-existent, and this brew feels really silky and rich in my mouth. Satiny.

D - Excellent. Eminently quaffable. At five percent ABV, this has session written all over it.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

550 ml. bottle

Poured into a pint glass. I just loved the way this beer looked. Black, opaque. Even holding it up to the light doesn't really help. Nice sized tan head that leaves lacing all the way down the glass.
Smells of dark roasted malts with some sweetness
Taste is of dark roasted malts, some nuttiness, and sweetness. A lot going on here.
This beer is smooth, silky, and fullbodied. I wish I had bought a 4 pack of this instead of the one.
Drinkability is tough. I can understand why some people do not like to have several heavy beers in a night. If you feel this way you might have this oatmeal's stout drinkability lower. I feel that I can have several heavy beers (this beer surely counts) in a night.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass from a very classy bottle. Pours almost black with some dark ruby notes when held to a light. Two finger head is tan, lasting a couple of minutes with some lacing around the glass.

Smell: Sweet chocolate with some faint coffee. Very subtle aroma, but carries a nice sweetness to it. Some nice earthy notes are around there if you dig for it, but mostly chocolatey.

Taste: Wow this is one smoooth beer. Hits the tongue with an almost velvety texture with little carbonation. Immediately the tastebuds are bombarded with sweet malts, tasting of dark chocolates and milky coffee. There is a cola note in there, and that taste lingers in the finish. Very pleasant. Very heavy.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a opaque and creamy foamy head. The sun can barely peek through the darkness.

Smell is good and chocolaty.

It tastes good and just might be the benchmark on which the style is from.

Real smooth Clark. Excellent mouthfeel that hangs around is like velvet to the tongue and surface of the mouth.

You really can't go wrong with this one. Head of the house when it comes to the oatmeal stout.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)