Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,999 | Reviews: 2,207

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a belgian style (maudite) glass

Appearance- Black and thick, a 1.5 finger head over the top which is thick and creamy. Slowly dissapates to a thin creamy film over the top and thicker around the sides.

Smell- Scent is subdued, slight chocolate malt aroma with oats lingering within. No real hop to speak of.

Taste- Mmmm creamy. I should have had this at breakfast time. Slight burn on the tounge from alcohol, lactose infused chocolate and black patent slides down the throat smoothly. This is the sort of beer you want to make an ice cream float out of. No real hop bitterness to speak of, but much oatmeal stout flavor.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy, an excellent example of the style. One of Samuel Smith's best offerings.

Drinkability- Oddly for a stout, very drinkable. I find myself regretting that I didn't buy the full 4-pack and only buying a single, but lucky for me, it is one of the most obtainable. I will be reaching for this instead of the only more accessible oatmeal stout.

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

Got the 19oz? bottle that I never poured out into a glass so I can't really speak to the appearance.

The smell was not what I expected. I expected a more oatmeal-centric smell but the pungent hops overpowered. You can definitely smell a healthy dose of barley as well but I didn't really pick up on anything else which was quite surprising

The taste to me was underwhelming especially for such a highly rated stout. I prefer complex and balanced stouts (this one is a bit on the hoppy side) that leave you with different layers of taste form inception to aftertaste. I love tasting chocolate/coffee/fruits/etc in a stout and this had none of that. I personally found this stout quite one dimensional and boring.

Mouthfeel was nothing special.

It's not a bad stout so I rated drinkability slightly higher but since I specifically tried it after seeing the 90 it scored here I was left scratching my head on this one.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

This was recommended to me by a preacher friend of mine, heh.

Pours opaque, basically as black as night. Holding it up to a light, very little filters through. Head is heavy and endures, leaving lacing from the top of the glass to the very bottom. If a beer can be classified as "beautiful," this one is at the top of the list.

Smells of oatmeal (go figure), coffee and roasted dark malts. The taste is initially sweet, with a bit of bitterness on the back-end. The coffee and malts are again noticeable, and overall it's surprisingly smooth for a stout.

This is easily one of my favorite beers, and is a good one to sit back and sip when you're in a lazy mood and just want to relax. I've introduced it to quite a few folks who enjoy their beer on the stouter and more complex side, and I've yet to hear a complaint. As good as all of the Samuel Smith brews are, this one sits alone at the top IMHO.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured a handsome, dark brown-black color with a 2-finger toffee-colored head that slowly faded down. Smells of oatmeal and dark roasted malts. Tasted like the smell: delicious roasted malt and burnt coffee flavors, with an aftertaste that was a mix of sweet oatmeal and a touch of bitterness. I started drinking this beer fairly cold, but the flavors really came out once it warmed up a bit, especially the oatmeal. Mouthfeels was heavy and smooth, with little carbonation. I enjoyed this beer very much.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours deep brown. Nice head, dissipates slowly, keeps a rim. Smells nicely of roasted malt, definitely smells like a stout. Very smooth mouthfeel, slightly bitter-sweet aftertaste. Light stout with respect to mouthfeel but maintains a full taste. Very very drinkable, excellent brew.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Liquor Shed in Casper for US$3.70

This ours from 550ML bottle a very dark brown with a large offwhite head of foam that just won't quit. And...there's plenty of lacing so it's really a very nice brew when looking into my glass.

The smell hits my nose with a lot of sweet and roasted malt and is very nice.

The taste follows the nose to a T. A big abundance of roasted malt with some sweet tones followed by a nice oatmeal flavour and lesser notes of anise and citrus tang. Wow, the mix of flavours really work well together and *force* me to take sip after sip. Very drinkable and it makes for an *excellent* session brew. I could drink this one all night long. The carbonation is medium light and the mouthfeel is silky smooth. I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this before as it's simply an outstanding example of the style and is easy on the wallet. Highly recommended!!

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

V.07
Medium expansive head on top of a dark, highlighted amber edge.
Sweet roasted malt, and chocolate entice the mouth, and there it finds a chewy, medium rich bakers chocolate. The presence of oatmeal restrains any notion of hop punctuation, but the beverage is saved by a crisp carbonation. Initially it is smooth & creamy, but finishes dry rather nicely.
A well-crafted stout, and tradition is closely observed.. Great for a session, and recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Classic Sammy Smith bottle with the fancy gold foil. Pours a coca-cola black with some hints of brown. A big solid looking head eventually fades to a thin cap and fat collar. Tons of brown lace is left on the sides of my snifter. A swirl builds the head back up to a solid two fingers.

S - Pancake syrup dark sweetness greets my nose. Rich peanut butter and milled oats too. In the background, there are some cold coffee and roasted grain notes. Slightly chocolaty, somewhat nutty, and very much like molasses.

T - Big time nutty flavors remind me of chunky peanut butter and freshly shelled and salted nuts. Some chocolate flavors are there too, and they are backed up by a balancing twinge of sour roasted grain bitterness and some gentle leafy hops. I also noticed some very slight grapey flavors somewhere in there. Towards the end, I began to notice some nickel-like metallic or mineral flavors that were slightly off-putting...a product of Tadcaster's water?

M - Thinner than I would have guessed from the chunky nose, but it's extremely well built and feels weighty in my mouth. The carbonation is almost non-existent, and this brew feels really silky and rich in my mouth. Satiny.

D - Excellent. This is complex, but well rounded, balanced, and understated enough to be eminently quaffable. At five percent ABV, this has session written all over it.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

My first oatmeal stout and it didn't disappoint. Great looking black beer with a creamy, mother-of-pearl head. Two-finger head retention. Aroma reminded me of licorice, roasted barley and maybe a hint of chocolate. Taste was really nice; a chewy, viscosity to it, with notes of sweetness and coffee from the roasted barley. An overall earthiness was added by the oats themselves. Heavy beer which coats the palate. A great beer! Would love to savor/sip many of these.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

this oatmeal stout pours black with an inch of tan head that dissipates after a few minutes, leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. the color in light is a deep brown with a bit of ruby red thrown in. wonderful brew from the looks of it.

smell is of roasted malts, chocolate, and a bit of hops and alcohol thrown in the mix. the smell overall is sweet, but doesn't seem overly so.

taste is of heavy roastiness up front, followed by a bit of sweetness, which is where the chocolate resides. on the way down, the hops bring a bit of bitterness to the mouth, without overselling it.

aftertaste is of lightly bitter roastiness and chocolate, the sweetness seems to have gone away with the swallow. letting the mouth sit dry for a while, the chocolate fades into only a light bitterness.

mouthfeel is medium to light-bodied, leaving a bit of a film around the mouth after going down, which is exceptional. one definitely knows they are drinking a great brew from the aftertaste this one leaves behind.

drinkability is great. not filling or intoxicating at around 5%, one could easily enjoy a few of these for the makings of a great night!

this brew is extremely well crafted without much room for improvement. the ONLY critique i have for this brew is that the bitterness doesn't show itself until after going down. that being said, definitely check this one out.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

This was a very solid beer; one of my favorite stouts. A very dark body with a nice tan head that holds throughout the beer. The smell caught me a little off-guard as it was slightly malty but still roasted. The taste emphasized the latter. Very roasted taste, almost smokey, as if the malt had actually been roasted over a fire. A nice, thick mouthfeel that was ok despite the summer months. Despite its thick mouthfeel, the beer is pretty easy drinking. The fact that the beer is nice and smooth is what makes it go down so easy.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Opaque black with a large offwhite crown.

Chocolate chip cookies, vanilla extract, and some coffee in the nose.

Big sweet chocolate flavors upfront. Brown sugar, vanilla, some esters (blackberry-ish) and slight espresso flavors in the middle. Finishes with a bit of acidity. Chalked full of flavor.

Chewy mouthfeel with a bit of carbonation bite, can't say I expected that from an English ale (nothing a vigorous pour can't take care of).

One of my favorite English beers so complex yet so downright drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

A - No light can pass through this stout, it is the same hue as any stout. Tan lumpy head which initially settles just over a finger thick and ebs to a centimeter with sticky lacing.

S - Vanilla then chocolate then sweet cookie dough.

T - Starts out with a slight rotten fruit flavor but this disappears instantly and gives way to a perfectly sweet flavour- the sweetness is not nasty, burning, or cloying its just perfect. SMOOOTH. Finishes light chocolate with the bitterness of a fine chocolate bar.

M - Perfect, it is smooth and finished slightly slick. Theres a tad of oaty graininess which is cleaned out by the slickness. I want to drink this. At 7% it is still very, very drinkable

D - I could drink this for the rest of my life. It tastes so fresh and yet it shipped from so far away.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Cola brown, medium-aggressive pour produces a 2+ finger khaki colored head. Thin eight inch head sticks around for a while and produces low to moderate lacing.

Smell:
Smells almost exactly like sweet feed for horses. Heavy oats and molasses or brown sugar. Burnt caramel. A little more aroma would be nice.

Taste:
Sweet roasty malts with a bit of licorice mixed in. Prunes and raisins, definitely some dried dark fruit flavors in there. Bitter cocoa notes left in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Moderately syrupy and smooth as silk. No astringent bitterness in the finish as I have found with some oatmeal stouts. Good carbonation, a class act all the way. Definitely worthy of a five.

Drinkability:
While the ABV is only 5%, I think that the sessionability is impacted by the richness – this is a meal beer. If I were at a bar and it was on tap, I would probably go for it. I could see this beer going well with roasted meat.

550ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass.

A: super stealthy black darkness like a superstout!. Burnt tan brown creamy sticky 3 finger head, that produces wonderfully sticky lacing.

S: Very roasty, lots of malt, sweet yet bitter toffee/treacle smell, lots of roasted chestnuts.

T - roasted flavours are superb, not overly harsh at all, just the right amount that is complimented by a sweet nuttiness, roasted flavours linger on in the aftertaste.

M- Lively carbonation, full bodied and thick/sticky

D: A real thick stout, a meal in itself! A first class effort, one of my fav stouts now. A super fireside winter beer.

NOTE** Had this with chocolate chip cookies, onto a winner there!

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Dark like a great stout should be and tends to have a lace that sticks to the glass.
S: Deep-roasted, nutty, sweet aroma.
T&M: Has a slight carbonated taste upfront, then the frementation comes through. It finnishes with a deep and hardy roasted aftertaste.
D: Richness is the name of the game for this brew. It will put some fullness into your body, but God help me if I can't put it down.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Very dark brown in appearance but not opaque and with slightly red hue. Head of about 1/2 inch with no staying power and virtually non-existent lacing. Smell is good with a sweet fragrance. Taste is mild with a smoky malt flavor; smoky oak with a chocolate finish. Mouthfeel is relatively light but foams up on tongue. This is a very drinkable beer but lacks a little complexity for my taste.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Wow, a bottle of this cost more than my frozen dinner. That's okay, I'm sure to like this offering as much as my food. On to the beer:

Poured into a pint glass, it's black in the body and tan in the head; the latter just sits there on top. There's a hint of chocolate syrup in the smell, a subtle roasted flavor, a bit of cooked oatmeal, and cappuchino flavors. The taste is more of the same. Fairy smooth, with the bitterness at the lower end for the style, making it easy to drink. Delicious!

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours deep dark brown, not quite opaque, with a solid tan head.

Sweet, sweet goodness in the nose. Toasted grains - I feel like that oatmeal is really present even before it hits the tongue. Caramel/chocolate/coffee appearances as well. Velvety soft and medium-bodied in the mouth; the bitterness of roasted barley and mild hop are balanced nicely by sweeter oat. Bittersweet in the finish, and easy to sip at.

This is how you do an oatmeal stout.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

App: Dark, dark brown with a vanilla tan head that goes 2-3 fingers on an easy pour. The lacing is nice. This beer looks perfect. The head diminishes quickly down to 1/4 finger (kinda small, but covers the beer not just the sides).

Smell: Caramel, some roasted coffee (but nothing intense), and a little hoppage, all very well balanced.

Taste: This is very nice. It tastes roasted with nice caramel malts and some chocolate, but it's also very nutty. It's quite sweet, especially on the aftertaste where it is perfect.

Mouthfeel: Just a teensy bit underbodied for my tastes, but is very smooth and creamy on the palate. There's a little hint of bitterness on the end, but I can't tell whether it's do to hops or the roasted character of the brew.

Drinkability: This is so easily quaffable I wish I had a whole keg here to myself. I want to homebrew this one and have it around all the time. One of the best session brews I've ever had.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The pour was the best thing about this beer. Looked dark and creamy with a nice head. It smells like chocolate, coffee, smoke, and some sweetness. The taste wasn't quite what I was expecting. It tasted mainly of sweet smokey coffee with the smoke standing out the most, then a watery finish. The beer was somewhat smooth going down physically but the flavor was just over powered by smoke. The mouth feel was more medium bodied. The flavor is there but the beer just seems too watered down. Most of Sam Smith beers have this characteristic to me. This would be a good beer to cook with, but I'd pass on another chance to drink one.

2.71/5  rDev -35.6%

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

This outstanding oatmeal stout pours a dark coffeeish black with chocolaty highlights. A decadent brown head that holds well and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Its aroma includes deep earthy notes of coffee, cocoa, and a bread like toastiness. Grain and malt.

As is consistent with all Samuel Smith brews, this beer is brilliantly flavorable. Including milk and dark chocolate, black malty coffee, assorted grains, and a molasses sweetness throughout.

A creamy smooth mouthfeel has a great clean finish. As far a drinkability is concerned I could drink this beer for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and because it's not overly strong nature I would say that's not out of the question. One of my all time favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours very dark brown with a small tan head. The aroma is caramel, toffee, chocolate, coffee and grain (oats). It tastes like coffee, bittersweet chocolate, caramel and roasted malt, very nice. Gets even better as it warms up some. Mouthfeel is medium, smooth and a bit creamy. Drinkability is very good as I could drink these all night long, it's very sessionable. Overall I think this is a pretty good oatmeal stout, I'd recommend it to anyone to try.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A:The appearance is beautiful, a nice dark almost black color with a creamy tan head that sticks around

S: The smell is good, with caramel maybe some toffee coffee aromas

T: It's like a meal in the mouth with an after dinner coffee. its creamy and has some caramel with light coffee with some earthy feel to it.

This is a great beer, and aside from some dryness as an aftertaste, is a very good beer. its very hearty and very smooth. enjoyable brew, not an every day beer for me, but good regardless

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)