Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Very surprised when I first had this. Clear bottle not a great choice for this dark beauty, but regardless it tasted great. Definte solid black color topped off with a creamy tan head that slowly transforms to a thin lace before your eyes. Sweeter than expected with a slight bitter after taste very good balance of flavors. Dark Chocolate, coffee and malty type of taste, very appealing. Very smooth to drink and again taste great.

One of my top choices now and strongly recommended to try.

Running4beer, Feb 04, 2003
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice deep color was topped by an airy tan head that disappated, lacing was thin and very smattered. Nice roasty smell with some sweetness. Silky creamy mouthfeel, mellow roasted flavor, a nice nightcap. Upper echelon stout but I don't agree with the majority of my fellow advocates who consider this the king. Young's is. My opinion folks.

Mark, Jan 30, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Quite good. I compared this directly with McAuslan's Oatmeal Stout, just for the hell of it (and because I had a bottle lying around). That being said, they probably represent two endmembers for the style.

Pours out black, surprisingly enough. A nice creamy tan head that doesn't want to leave and laces elaborately. The taste is very smooth... Oatmeal is present at the edges, but the main flavour is smooth black malts. Sweet and succulent. Some bitterness, but very restrained. An all around excellent stout, and worthy of it's legendary status.

Since I started with mentioning the McAuslan, I better finish that thought - the McAuslan is aggressive everywhere that Samuel Smith is relaxed and smooth.

the42ndtourist, Jan 29, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer is sweet! both figuratively and literally. It pours a very dark
color with a nice tan head than receded into a film that followed the beer
down the glass to the last sip. Smelling it brought out some nice coffee
flavors and just a little hint of the oatmeal. Tasting produced a nice
sweet effect on my palette and the oatmeal was very apparent. the only thing that caught me off gaurd was the thin mouthfeel it had, it was not at all thick. This cost me a little more than I usually spend, but it was well worth it.

GreatPondBrewer, Jan 27, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

This is a good beer, but not a great beer. I enjoy Magic Hat's oatmeal stout better. This one is a tad too sweet for me. Also a bit weak but makes up for it when in imperial pint form. I would recomend this beer to others, it's just not for me.

why the clear bottle for such a dark beer?

scottum, Jan 24, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Smooth
My only question is why they would use clear glass bottles that could lead to early deterioration of this lovely product. Rich aroma springs from the bottle upon opening.

Creamy soft texture. Really full flavored on a huge frame, but everything works so nicely together it is not loud. It has that berry-fruity taste that great bittersweet chocolate has. There is a mellow sweetness here, that you almost miss because it is so mellow, despite it being so obvious. I found none of the astringent/bitterness that the other reviews found. I will have to buy a case and drink until I find it.

Naerhu, Jan 23, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

First off, this sample is one that I received in Oct-Nov 2000. Upon opening, I didn't detect any bad or strange odors, so I decided to go ahead and drink it.

It appeared black as it was being poured with a quick forming dark tan head. The head hung around for the first few drinks than settled down forming a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Once poured, it let out of sweet, spicy smell that I found pleasing and inviting. I was unsure what to expect from the first taste, but I was pleasantly surprised. It still had a somewhat silky texture, but the flavor seemed to come fast and leave faster. I could taste roasted malts with a hint of coffee and overall it was a pleasant taste considering its age.

Carbonation seemed to hold up well, but I will have to get a fresh sample this weekend to compare it. The after taste was dry and almost non-existent, but still left a slight bitter taste on the sides of the tongue. All in all, I would still consider the taste outstanding.

Kunsan90, Jan 22, 2003

Big, booming tan head, and a color as black as the darkest night. Aroma is all things good: fresh, nutty, dry, coffee, espresso, the very essence of roastiness. Texture is smooth, with late bitterness coming through on the palate, very chewy and substantial. Comes on sweet, warm, and wonderful, a comforting stout.
Honestly, how do they do it? There are many who attempt this style, but no one comes close to Samuel Smith's when it comes to flavor, to taste, to utter perfection. Nothing less than happiness can result from drinking this fine brew. Always to find a spot among my Top Five. Absolutely perfect!

feloniousmonk, Jan 20, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured dark as night. Not much of a head, but that's ok. The taste was rather sweet, bordering on being a porter. It had many unique complexities, the roasted coffe, the chocolate, etc. but it did not translate very well for me. A good beer, but not the best.

bewareOFpenguin, Jan 20, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

550ml clear bottle.

Pours a near opaque black as midnight rich-looking beer, crowned with a frothy tan foam head; sturdy retention and a slight stick to the glass. Head remains all the way through the drinking experience. Outstanding.

Aroma is very soft and gentle on the nose with notes of earth, blackstrap molasses, nuts and some dark roasted malt astringency akin to coffee.

Firm, thick, milky smooth mouthfeel, paired with a very high dextrin sweetness and feel, that's not sickly sweet, but nonetheless ample, defining and bold. Oats are noticeable, giving the beer depth and lending a touch of starch in the flavour. A slight acrid character is lifted from the palate by the beer's prickly carbonation. Robust. More rich blackstrap molasses with undertones of coffee, unsweetened bitter dark cooking cholocate, deep earth flavours, real faint aniseed, a mark of herbal (rosemary?) and a leafy/woody character from the hops that carries over into the mouthfeel; bitty, coarse, a bit pear-like. Bit of a "cola" edge appears where the beer peaks and begins to fade. Mineral flavours pull out of the thickness and embed themselves in the sweet-ish / woody finish.

A meal in a bottle, this one is. A classic English stout with all of the complexities expected from much touted Old Brewery Tadcaster. Certainly not the best stout in my opinion, nor the best example of the style, but it is damn good.

Todd, Jan 16, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer came in a clear bottle (surprised me) and poured into the glass a dark brown/black but when held to the light there were ruby highlights. The head was beige in color, creamy and thick. The lace held up nicely and stretched to the bottom of the glass. The aroma was of molasses, chocolate, dark malt, and slight vanilla. The tastes were sweet and creamy not thick. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, bitter hops and chocolate in the end and some what dry . Simple and yet complex all at the same time. This is a very smooth beer. I am surprised that I had not tried this earlier in my life. I really REALLY enjoyed this beer.

Jarod, Jan 14, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Package: 1 pint, 2.7oz. (550ml) clear bottle, with nice bas-relief. 5.0% ABV. No Date.

Cost: $2.49 per bottle.

Presentation: Poured into pint glass at ~45º.

Appearance: This pours nicely, with a dense, dark-beige head, with a few large bubbles. Reminiscent of the top of a root-beer float. One of the best heads from a non-widget can or tap. Leaves true lace down the glass. Resolves down to one finger-width. The brown-black color is virtually opaque, similar to the “tobacco” color on a 60’s Mercedes cabriolet.

Smell: Second in smell only to the Maclay’s Oatmalt Stout, which is smokier with whisky notes. The caramel, chocolate, cinnamon, and semi-burnt aromas blend well.

Taste: All of the elements in the nose transfer to the tongue, along with some nutmeg and allspice. There is almost a “salty” edge to the flavor that replaces the sourness present in many stouts. More chocolate than coffee. If you move it around your mouth, the chewiness lets different flavors come to the forefront with each mouthful, revealing something new. Balanced. Long finish, with no astringent or sour notes. On the malty-sweet side, but pleasantly so.

Mouthfeel: My first reaction is that this is very satiny. The carbonation is definitely present, but in the background. Body is better than many oatmeal stouts, improving upon that of the Young’s nitro-can oatmeal stout and matched in the bottle only by St. Ambroise-McAuslan.

Drinkability: An extremely smooth, easy drinking oatmeal stout. The only reason it doesn’t get a 5 is that it is so filling!

In my experience to date, nothing compares to Young’s Oatmeal Stout on draught, which ignited my love for this style. Perhaps my memory has improved upon the reality and I’m willing to bet that the McAuslan is even better on tap than it is in the bottle, making it a viable contender for the top spot. After that, I find that this and the Maclay’s Oatmalt Stout (sadly gone) are the best, bottled, oatmeal stouts I’ve had the pleasure of trying.

Backwash: The gold standard of bottled oatmeal stouts.

Dantes, Jan 13, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

That deceptive clear bottle. Until you pour this stout, you would swear it was in a brown bottle, but noooo- clear as glass can be! Deep brown, almost opaque, brew with a caramel colored head that lasts and lasts. Eventually fades to a thin layer with no discernable lace. Sweet chocolate aroma and mollasses. Smooth taste, slightly bitter cocoa, coffee, malts. Thinner mouthfeel than expected, light carbonation. Overall pretty drinkable and a good introduction to the style.

cretemixer, Jan 13, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Re-sampled on 5/12/2003. An excellent brew. This beer poured a nice dark, midnight black colour into my pint glass. It had a nice beige head that held quite well. The aromas were of barley and roasted malts. This tasted very sweet for a stout (not unlike a sweet stout) and this style is quite different to dry stouts, sweet stouts, and imperial stouts. This had a very full, creamy mouthfeel and a nice drinkability as well.
A very easy-drinking stout!
Cheers!
-F

francisweizen, Jan 11, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Nice chocolate flavor and typical dark stout appearance. Low carbonation and light body (for an oatmeal stout) made it easy to drink. The price is a bit high and will keep me from drinking too many of these.

ethosx19, Dec 25, 2002
4.43/5  rDev +5%

A very dark beer indeed, the head is a nice brown that leaves a good lace down the glass and stays for a good while unless agitated.
It smells as dark as it looks, nut and earth like scents.
The taste is very much like the smell, smooth and rich with added flavors of some coffee, chocolate and of course oatmeal.
Mouthfeel is full and solid. A creamy experience with plenty of chew to be had.
A great beer that I will be enjoying on a regular basis.

Oelergud - Cheers!

oelergud, Dec 20, 2002
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is as black as a moonless sky, with a creamy brown head. It is fruity in the nose, wih a bit roastness and chocolate as well. Creamy, smooth, with chocolate notes. It is almost like a milk shake, with a hint of chocolate. It's silky smooth to a semi-dry finish. Probably one of the best Stouts I have yet to sample. Medium bodied, with a low level of carbonation. A very well balanced beer, the bitterness is tamed down by the creamy roast maltiness.

BeerBuilder, Dec 07, 2002
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Review: Cool and classy bottle (but clear). Super dark with hints of red when held to the light. Minimal head but question the quality of the glassware. This abounds with aroma, roasted malt, chocolate malt. This has a smoothe malty sweetness with a slightly locorice like aftertaste that finishes a bit twangy.

Personal notes: This is a very good quality beer and true to style. My taste tends to favor a bit more bitterness but again, the taste fits the style.

canoehornpoint, Dec 03, 2002
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

This review is from a 550 ml clear bottle that is gold rappedfor most of the neck. Pours dark with nice head and leaves good lace. Taste is chocolate with a roasted flavors. Very lightly carbonation. Full bodied. Drinking more than 2 of these is out of question.

Amdahl, Nov 26, 2002
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a deep black color with a tan colored head. Aroma is of sweet roasted malts with hints of citrus. Taste is sweet caramel up front followed by a strong bitter burnt coffee taste and then a sweet buttery aftertaste. A very nice stout.

Morris729, Nov 25, 2002
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

This is a stout among stouts. Smooth and creamy but not to heavy like the Young's Double Chocolate. It is just a damn good stout. I highly recommned this one.

The aroma is lacking unless served at about 50 degrees. The palate is very pleased with the overall texture and taste of this fine stout.

AtrumAnimus, Nov 25, 2002
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

I think there are some beers that you hear so much (good) about, that once you try it you are bound to be disappointed - This beer had a bit of that. It is a great beer, but I have just heard so much, that I was let down in the flavor department.

Pours deep brown with an average head, cream in color. The consistency of the beer seemed thinner than other stouts.

Smells of chocolate, oats, nuts. Great smells.

The taste was good, but just not as BIG as I expected. It had more hops flavor than I expected as well. I didn't get hit with the oatmeal flavor like I expected.

Very drinkable stout.

doho95fu, Nov 25, 2002
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Pours a deep black body that shows off a bit of really dark garnet and brown when held up to a strong light source. A nice, creamy tan head sits on top and sticks fairly well.

Smell: I pick up on roasted grains and a touch of burnt chocolate. Not nearly as strong as some stouts in the aroma department.

Taste: Well-roasted malts and a faint chocolate sweetness is the first impression I get. A decent amount of butterscotch/diacytel too. There's a small amount of hop flavor as it rushes down my throat. I like the smooth flavor imparted by the addition of oats...adds a bit of creaminess to the flavor. Great aftertaste. There's a lot of flavor in there, but it's more of a laid-back type of flavor. It doesn't demand your attention like, say, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. I know...different type of stout, but that one reaches out and pulls you in. This beer has a very relaxed demeanor.

Mouthfeel: I think it's a bit thin for being an oatmeal stout: I expect a huge body and a thick, chewy mouthfeel and this one falls a bit short in this area.

Drinkability: Very good. Goes down smooth and easy.

A damn good stout, but in the Samuel Smith range, I'd take an Imperial Stout or Taddy Porter over this. I find this beer to be a bit 'overrated'...

MJR, Nov 23, 2002
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Dark brown-black color, creamy head, aroma of sweet chocolate and well roasted malts. Medium body with a creamy, silky texture. Great flavors of roasted malts and chocolate, I like the Imperial a tad better, still you can't go wrong with this one.

maxpower, Nov 23, 2002
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

I tried this one because it had such a high ranking and I was not disappointed at all. I love the creamy head and 'roasted' taste of this beer. Everytime I go to the liquor store to try a new beer, I keep coming back to this one over and over.

rockdick, Nov 18, 2002
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)