Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal StoutSamuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-05-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,113 | Reviews: 2,229
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours out a nice, dark brown... bordering on black. A milk-chocolate colored head rapidly appeared (fairly aggressive pour) and built to a very thick, fluffy mass. It slowly settled to a nice collar with some excellent lacing. This head survived several swirls. The aroma is good. Smelled something of oats, chocolate malt, and faint hops. Very pleasant, but not overwhelming. Taste was very rich with a complex development of oats, chocolate malt, and other darkly roasted malt flavors. Starts sweet, then finishes with a touch of hop bitterness for balance. Excellent! Mouthfeel was every so slightly thinner than I expected, though it did not seriously hurt the beer. Slightly higher than expected carbonation, but again, not so much as to be terribly distracting. This is truly an excellent stout to be enjoyed whenever the mood strikes! I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the style.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle (from a mixed four pack)

This one looks a whole lot like the Taddy Porter, maybe a little more brown than red when held to the light. Nice and dark, with a large tan head. This one has lots of lace too.

Smell is chocolate malt, dark fruit, nuts and caramelized sugar.

Taste is smooth and clean. Malt, dark fruits, a little bit of a coffee acidity.

Body is much lighter than a expected, in a good way. The carbonation is low to medium-low and just rolls on the tounge.

I could drink this all the time, good stuff.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

The head is lasting and thick, brownish, silky and very smooth with fine dense bubbles. The body is of a totally opaque black color, in which I could see myself perfectly as I was trying to evaluate the color of the beer.

The smell is very enjoyable but brighter than for the taddy porter: some coffee and some caramel; some dark fruits, maybe raisins and figs, and hints of yeast. The brighter aspect of the malts may come from the oatmeal, I don't know.

I had a hard time identifying specifically the oatmeal in the taste. The taste shows toasted malt notes, a coffee-like character, and a distinct fruity character. I had a light strawberry impression at one point, and the brew was definitely fruitier and sweeter than I initially thought. A great dark chocolate or trufle feeling comes in the finish.

The mouthfeel shows an incredible smoothness; this beer is so enjoyably creamy. But at the same time it remains greatly light and drinkable, with a very pleasing level of carbonation. The finish is sweeter and more "aired" than I expected, the beer's almost breathing in my mouth. Great.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a very good stout. Its color is a dark brown, with a brownish white head. The head is deliciously frothy when I take my first sip, and it remains for the whole pint. This defining characteristic of the taste is toastiness. There are hints of chocolate and slight hints of coffee, as no flavor dominates. This is a smooth and well-balanced stout that I could drink several of in one sitting.

3.31/5  rDev -21.4%

Head is giant and creamy. Very full earthy aroma, can't help but noticed something off. Is it alcohol I smell? Taste is a fine mix of rolled oats and unsweetened chocolate. Nuttiness moves into a bitter sweet after taste that is unrewarding. Feels fuller in the mouth than it looks in the glass.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the first drink I had on the night of our wedding reception. This was just what I needed to start out the fabulous night. Beautiful mollasses black color with super fluffy head that lasted forever. The taste was rich in toasted nut and chocolate and finished very crisp! This is a fantastic and very smooth tasting oatmeal stout. Two Thumbs Up!!

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

Deep black with a crimson hue that makes that sort of cola colour. Head dies quickly - very low carbonation.

Wonderful aromas that is very much a mix of licorice/anise, confectionary, sweet maple and many other tasty smell. Almost smells so sweet it has black cola cordial notes. Intresting stuff. Changes every minute as it warms.

Same flavours on the palate, with cola, licorice, and malt flavours dominating. Good sweetness on the middle palate (almost blackberry/plummy confectionary like) that is well balanced by back palate hoppiness.

Would get a higher score if the palate didn't mimic the nose so badly. More roast and malt flavours would be good. Otherwise, a really enjoyable stout!

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Black in color with a thick fluffy tan head that sported some large bubbles. There was some lacing through the drink. The aroma is of roasted malt, with earthy and sweet tones. The taste is wonderful as roasted malt and chocolate cause a nice sweetness, but is balanced with some light coffee and very light oats. Very minor bitterness is detected.

The body is medium-heavy with nice carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy at the start and finishes creamy and dry. The roasted malt and sweetness lasts shortly on the tongue.A great drinking brew.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Dark brown nearly opaque color with a small tan head. Smell is of roasted malts, brown sugar, with a little of coffee and chocolate notes. Taste is slightly sweet and malty with dark roast (maybe a bit smoky) flavors. Again, notes of coffee and chocolate, but they are not dominant. Some alcohol warming detected, even though this is only a 5% ABV beer. Flavors are smoother and more pronounced when letting the beer warm a little. A little hop bitterness provides balance. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, although a bit thinner than expected from an oatmeal stout, but it still manages to leave a thin coating on the glass and in your mouth. I think one of these makes a great dessert (someone else suggested with vanilla ice cream... I'll have to try that!) This is a wonderful stout! One of my favorites!

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Paid $11.79 for a 3pk. (550mL) gift set with pint glass and two coasters...

The appearence of this is quite remarkable. The base is of a deep brown color but the head is what this beer is about. The head appears a little chunky, mid-to-large sized of an oatmeal color with excellent lacing throughout the drink. The smell is kinda like a mocha candy bar but roasted, no real hints of oatmeal.

The taste is out of this world; so much going on let's see what we've got here: Dark roast coffee, chocolate, caramel, slight grain, extremely smooth in the mouth. The drinkability is extremely high. I drank this one in about 10-15 minutes for 550mL of beer and loved it every margainally sized sip of the way.

Final Thought: This is really hard to beat, one of the best beers available on the market.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

An opaque dark brown color, just about black. It is topped by a frothy, creamy brown head. Thick malty aromas mixed with burnt toast, expresso, toffee, and chocolate are all found in the nose. The taste is sweet, creamy, chocolately, and slightly viscous. I get notes of milk chocolate, and espresso. There is a bitter component that is derived from the roasted malt, but it is not enough to balance the sweetness that is found in this beer. For some reason I was expecting a bit more out of this beer. It is quite decent but seems a little dumbed down, which makes sense given this beer wide availibility & popularity.

This brew quite surprised me as a very poor fan of stouts. Purchased at Drinks of the World in Luzern (CH).

the pour, although very dark and heavy varies from your average stout at the head. instead of the creamy, white head you get a fizzy, coffee toned volatile one which emanates scents of coffee, naturally, and malt, as well as some bitterness to it. The taste was rather impressive because, beyond the feel of coffee in it, this beer reminded me, strangely, to the german Rauchbiers, as the mouthfeel and taste were strongly smoked, with some meaty taste to it- pleasant, certainly, but unexpected.

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

dark as night, very opaque, with a small light tan head of light bubbles. Smell is primarily a hoppy bitterness, but the chocolate malts are quite apparent too.

Taste is incredible; dry with exceptional chocolate malt flavor. Hops are extremely well balanced with the darker chocolate malt flavors. Subtle citrus tone but without the annoying sweetness. Bitterness becomes more apparent with additional sips, but is very pleasent.

Mouthfeel is also very good; pretty thick with a pleasent level of very subtle carbonation.

Very good beer, only major obstacle to drinkability is cost.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer poured a very dark mocha black, with a tan beigh mocha head that was a froth of a monster. Very thick and creamy. Smell was very roasted and smoked, not very oatmeal/grain at all to speak of, picked up a little wood and bark smell? Taste was of dark fresh roasted coffee with chocolate fudge, the sweet fullbodied creaminess was a perfect blen with the subtleness of the hops. Full bodied and creamy in the mouth, flavorfully smooth, I would drink this any chance I get. Great for after a meal and great with vanilla ice cream if you like using your beer other ways.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Here we go...yet another beer with quite a reputation. I've had this one before, but this my first review of it.

Bottle is clear glass, typical of Samuel Smith's. Always makes me cringe a bit, living in AZ like I do and worrying about sunlight degrading the product.

Stout pours a dark, dark purple-red...not the black you'd expect. Lovely all the same. I held the pint up to the light several times to admire it. Thick tan head rolls out of the pour. Some lacing.

Notes of smoke, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate in the nose. A bit of roasted malt behind it all.

The taste is much mellower than I remembered. This doesn't bother to hide its alcohol the way Guinness draft might. I'm not sure if I hadn't eaten beforehand but I felt warm halfway through the pint.

Flavors of coffee and that dark chocolate intermingle on the tongue, with a smooth mouthfeel that wasn't as chewy as I'd have thought given the brew's name. I gave a good portion of the pint time to warm to room temperature. Glad I did, as it becomes velvety in the warming, less acrid and biting. Has the archetypal smoky aftertaste that seems standard for the style.

A lovely offering. God Bless England!

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Yum.

And readily available too...anytime I see this brewer's selections on a menu, this particular flavor is always in the mix.

Nice color, very little aroma, however. I would've expected it to be a bit thicker, but the typical Sam Smith smoothness is there.

This stout produces a fairly good head with a nice tan-brown color...would live to try it by draught but the bottle is nothing to sneeze at!

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

Near-black color with a super-thick caramel-colored root beer float-size head. Not much of an aroma but a good strong roasted oatmeal flavor with a creamy chocolate malty base. A bit chewy and creamy at the same time, a surprisingly high level of carbonation. Good mouthfeel with a slight caramel finish. This would go well with a fine cigar. Not the top of the oatmeal stout chain but one of the better ones you might be able to find in your neighborhood.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Re-Review 03/22/05

I thought I'd re-review this beer since my tastes have improved over the last year or so. The appearance is excellent, the color is about one shade less than black and the head is tan and creamy. Plus the head leaves a nice layer of cream once it has dissapated. The aroma isn't very strong, but has a nice subtle sweet smell with a dark chocolate undertone. The taste is very full-flavored. A sip starts with dark chocolate sweetness which rounds to a more general roasted sweetness. Sip concludes with sweet roasted coffee taste. I have definently come to appreciate and love this beer since my initial sample. I still find it a little bit too filling, but it isn't as much of an issue to me this time around.

Original Review 5/16/04

Ah, my first stout, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I think about it. First off, this is some seriously dark beer, its almost pitch black. The aroma is nice, a little sweet, but not overpowering. SInce this is my first stout, I don't have much to compare to, but I do enjoy the taste. This beer starts off really smooth in my mouth and leaves a nice, mildly sweet aftertaste. Overall, I can definently tell that this is a good brew, but I'm still not sure if stout is a style that I really like. I'll probably have to try this again with some food to see what happens. I can definently tell this isn't something I'd want to drink a whole lot of in one sitting.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So great, so dark. This beer doesn't speak of evil though. So much flavor, I'm at a loss. A beer to try, you must. You will not be disapointed with the flavor, if you love a black beer. It has so much more character than a stout of any kind, yet lets you feel like you already ate breakfast. This beer is worth the investment. A great cold weather friend. This is an amazing beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance - very deep ruby red, practically black. Light brown head like chocolate milk. Thick drapy lacing.

Aroma - smoky coffee, baked biscuits, molasses and brown sugar. It's all there. Fantastic.

Taste - sweet malts, espresso with double sugar, charcoal and some light smokiness. Finishes sweet, toasty, fresh brewed coffee aftertaste. Solid and developed flavor profile in every aspect, superb balance. Probably not as great for those who aren't into sweet beers.

Mouthfeel - thinner than I would have thought, but very smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability - super stuff, low abv, I could drink it again and again and again!!!

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Initially jet black; daylight reveals a cola-like deep mahogany. Finger of dense, rocky tan foam. Thick, sticky lacing.

Smell: Smoky, with caramel and burnt sugar malt notes.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts with a blast of sweet malt; morphs into a pleasant bittersweet chocolate cake flavor before finishing dry and bitter with a hint of smoke. Body is surprisingly light and somewhat milky, but the fine carbonation is fairly sharp.

Drinkability: Quite, it's sweet and sort of... comforting, in a way--it's a very "nice" beer.

This is a tasty, harmless stout, but its light body and somewhat mild flavor make me wonder what all the fuss is about. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't make much of a statement, really.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

I picked up a single of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. I’ve noticed this beer is very appreciated on this site so I am looking forward to trying it. I’m worried about the beer being light struck since it’s in a clear bottle, but I’ll just cross my fingers and go.

This beer pours out jet black to the naked eye with an ample creamy head at least three fingers high. When held up to light dark ruby tinges become apparent.

Unfortunately there is a hint of skunk in the aroma but it is not too noticeable. The nose is deep with charred, sweet malts and a sparkle of earthy bitterness about the edges.

This tastes different than any stout I’ve tried so far, but it’s hard to put my finger on it. I think the oats come across as a smooth, cured, nuttiness almost. Lightly charred malts are evident and a taste like coffee with a healthy dosing of sugar. An earthenly bitter, dry aftertaste is left in my mouth, pretty good stuff. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is light but pleasing.

Overall a very solid stout, and one I would definitely enjoy to revisit.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

I feel like I rated this brew too high, but it is a great brew.

Pours a nice black brew but looks dark brown on the edges, A light tan head.

Earthy tones mellow out the dark roast, also smell a touch of sweetness in the background.

A smooth brew to drink that is for sure, a nice melding of flavors, nothing is fighting to be out in front. The dark roasted malt as I said before is subdued by an oaty, earth taste. Like a medium roast coffee with a touch of sugar to take the edge off.

A good session beer, I could drink this all night, not heavy at all just a little more than medium bodied.

I think this is a good beer to to turn people on to stouts.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Very dark brown body with a thin beige head. Just like the mcneills oatmeal stout, you can grab the oatmeal just by smelling. Deep malt profile full of chocolate, licorice, brown sugar sweetness and something powdery alike flour. There's no mistake on the tongue, this is a sweet stout, with caramelic peaks, tons of oatmeal, some powder sugar perhaps and nevertheless a great balance due to subdued english hops. Silky medium body, highly quaffable, definitely the most obvious definition of the style I've faced. On the other hand, it never comes close to approaching the imperial stout in terms of complexity.

3.86/5  rDev -8.3%

It poured a small tan head that stayed for about a minute. At first glance it's black as night, but holding it up to the sun it showed a dark ruby through the bottom corner.

A burnt and sour smell came through more than anything.

It tastes more like a porter than a stout to me with the slight sourness coming through, which is good, since I like porters more.:) A little chocolate , coffee, burnt flavor, alcohol and a bit of sour came together to make a nice combonation.

I could drink quite a few of these if I could find them. I think it'd go well with a roast.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)