Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

to view more.
Ratings: 2,732 | Reviews: 1,270
4.42/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A – Massive almost 2 inch tan head that has a thick choc milk shake like appearance and consistency. The body is deeply dark and has very little highlights against the light, though there is a hint of ruby in there.

S - the aroma is dominated by coffee and choc, with an ample amount of burnt malt presence there is evidence of molasses but it is very faint. Any hop from the dry hoping is lost.

T – This beer is as near to what you could ever want from a Porter. There is a deep rich coffee and chocolate flavour with a light molasses and fig undertone that makes this a perfect beer to accompany a full English or An Ulster fry. Yum!!!

MF – The mouth feel is pretty full with low to medium carbon and a nice drying edge. The bitter linger is simply great for a Stout/Porter lover.

Overall – If you like Porter Stouts or simply prefer a Lap sang or Assam to a Chai then this beer will do it for you. As close to perfection in a Porter as I have come across it is not very complex but just straight up and down the line dark bitter and tasty. Try it and you will see what I mean!!!

Samuel Smith has been making their beers for hundreds of years and has their stuff together. Consistently perfect in everyway.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Warning: This beverage does not contain any tadpoles. That disappointment aside I am really looking forward to rating Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter, as I tried and reviewed their Oatmeal Stout quite recently (like today) and I found it to be, in the words of the great Bill and Ted; “Most excellent”. As I do have a preference for my beers thick (much like my gravies), an Oatmeal Stout is always going to win my charms with their charming charminess, so let’s find out if this Porter can also bring home the bacon and fry it in the pan... figuratively (literally would just be weird).

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Conducive to hard pouring these Sam Smith bottles - again I ended up with too much head [insert the classic Michael Scott catchphrase: “That’s what she said”] a big 1 inch tan head that dissipated to a thin lace on top. The body presents a deep dark hazy ruby red. TBH the Oatmeal Stout (hereto forth abbreviated as SOS) looked a bit tastier. 7/10.

S: More chocolate/coffee notes than the SOS, again with dark fruits lurking around like a bunch of punks in a nearby dark alley. Sweet molasses provides the base upon which this Porter is built. Rich, dark, formidable and (more importantly) an appetizing aroma that sits on par with the SOS. 8/10.

T: Again similar to the SOS but different enough to warrant its own existence. Whereas the SOS had a definite oat/coffee slant this Porter simply replaces oat notes with chocolate ones (both brews have a lingering background dark fruit, specifically plum, flourish). The molasses middle carries through to finish which is a light burnt bitter coffee. Still damn tasty but the SOS edges it slightly for me. 8/10.

M: Thinner than the medium bodied SOS (of course - there aren’t any oat starches in this brew to buff out its body) with a light carbonation. Good not great. 7/10.

D: Let’s face it - SOS was a hard brew to top - in fact I just went back and gave SOS some extra points in ‘drinkability’ so it would appear higher up in my ratings, ‘cause that’s how I roll yo. Overall I did like this Porter, it’s definitely got quite a bit going for it, but it couldn’t compete with the SOS for me. 8/10.

Food match: Roast beef, heavy gravy, vegetables (also roasted), seconds, wafer mint, cigar, death from over consumption - in that order.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am such a New World honk, so if hardcore traditionalism is in your blood (or glass), you may wish to ignore this.

I love Porter. I know this is supposed to be the quintessential example of a true English Porter. And it is a lovely one. Deep brown, with reddish hues. Khaki head with staying power. A medium body mouthfeel that lets you know this isn't stout. ENough malty backbone to let you know that it isn't just some dark ale either. A perfect blend of roasty and malty sweet with a little hop pop in the back and a thinner consistency. I love Porter.

I really liked this one. A little too drinkable to me. A bit thin in the flavor arena (my New World bias and San Diego upbringing clouding my judgement?). Everything I look for in a Porter, just more subtle and lighter. I do not dispute the high marks given by others as this is the benchmark brew, but for those with my disposition a fair warning about subtlety.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not bad not good just right in the middle

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost black with a thin dark ruby cast along the edges. Outstanding head volume, world class retention and lacing.

Light nose of dark fruit (plum, fig), with just hints of coffee, prune and chocolate.

Light medium body with a smooth texture. Above normal carbonation with a light prickly effervescence from the middle on.

The flavor profile is good, with reasonable intensity, complexity and balance. It begins with a blended flavor that is tart and separates into light notes of roast and coffee and just a hint of chocolate. The middle introduces a slight sweetness underneath. As the sweetness fades, dark fruit is present.

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a dark brown color - no light penetration that I can see. The beer pours with a creamy tan head. Just under 1 finger of head. the head recedes pretty quickly. The beer leaves nice arcs of lace when tipped in the glass. The bottle has a date code (boo!) and it says the beer is almost 1 year old (also boo). The ABV is not listed on the bottle.

S: [3.00] Very pronounced dark fruit.

T: [2.75] I get the dark fruit on the start - but then the firish is roasted malt. There is also a "salty" taste in there. I can't describe it any better. Salty is not really a compliment.

M: [2.75] The beer is a little watery - but understandable for a low ABV. The carbonation level is low.

O: [2.75] I feel bad. The beer is a year old. I really like stuff from Samuel Smith and I think this didn't get a fair shake. That being said it is what it is.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

thin light tan head, dark brown
coffee, roasted grain,
chocolate, iced-coffee, acidic
very refreshing, lighter than i expected but it goes so nice with the tartness
got another one the next night so...

3.11/5  rDev -25.6%

I was hoping to be impressed, however I just cant bring myself to really enjoy a porter.

This beer is really good

3.97/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The standard for a British Porter. The low ABV makes this the sort of session beer drunk by the market traders of old.

Warming, satisfying and a wonderful flavour.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Was a bit underwhelmed, but may be adjusting to the difference between English Porter and American Porter. Didn't detect much flavor or complexity in the taste and left not much of a mouthfeel.

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: Looks great dark rich brown color. Has a slight head left over after pouring into cup.

S: Smells good lol.

T: The taste is good.. Well better than good just don't have the right word to use for it. I'm still a rookie but I guess I'm starting to learn the difference between English porter and American Porter. I prefer American at the current moment till proven otherwise. It is still a well put together beer.

F: This beer does the job makes me feels good. Quality brewing.

O: Its a little pricey for a 4 pack in my area in Hawaii but I feel lucky to try a world class beer such as this one. Not my favorite but if I ever feel like it I'll get another pack of this beer. Can't wait to try there other types that they make.

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not one of my favorite Porters

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Was expecting more really, but I think it's just my preference in Porter styles.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An excellent porter. Really about the standard by which porter could be judged.

Dark black color with very fine tan head.

Malty, bitter flavor, hints of coffee.

Moderate mouthfeel, not at all heavy. Not a session beer, but much more so than most of what I choose.

Long subtle finish of coffee, hints of toffee.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured jet black into tapered pub glass, 1 in creme colored head, smells like warm brown sugar, super smooth chocolate taste up front with a nice lightly carbonated malt fig on the back end. Super solid beer. I will definitely be drinking this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another middle of the road transition beer

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

incredible is just not enough praise

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Extremely dark brown, almost black, not allowing any light to penetrate. Head is cake-like and tannish. Aroma has hints of chocolate, some light coffee, dark fruits and sweet malt. Taste is a little lighter than I expected, with flavors of raisins, dates, figs and a touch of coffee in the finish. Overall, feels good on the palate, no alcohol burn(of course its only 5.00 ABV). Was thinking it was going to be a little more bold and bitter, but overall, a great sessionable porter with a decent balance..

Perfection, perfection, perfection, perfection, perfection

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It's pretty much a slightly better version of the standard Newcastle Brown ale.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Solid, very smooth, feel left something to be desired but overall delicious.

3.37/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Aroma far surpassed the flavor. Finish was not there.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma roasted malt, chocolate, nuts, faint licorice & smoke. Taste sweet creamy malt, bread, cocoa, brown sugar, touch dark fruit.

to view more.
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)