Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,774 | Reviews: 1,279
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark chestnut; medium tan head; dissipates quickly but good lacing

Aroma: Toffe at first; roasted grains; coffee; dried fruit; very nice aroma

Taste: Bitter roasted grain on start; dried fruit in mid with spicy finish ending semi sweet; good balance, but a little thin

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a dark cola, with a massive foamy head that takes it's time.

The first hint is a little sweeter than I had anticipated. This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it just wasn't what I was expecting. It's fairly creamy on the nose, with hints of a medium bodied chocolate, and and a little sweet molasses. Like a sweet cream with molasses and chocolate. There's something else there that I can't quite identify.

As it caresses my palate, you get almost a bittersweet lead, with a smoky leather followthrough. That may sound unappatizing, but it actually works. Definitely some toasty grain in there along with that cacao and almost a rich plum in there somewhere.

So the first time I had a Samuel Smith beer, it had that metallic taste to it that kind of ruined it for me (why I've never reviewed the oatmeal stout), and I noticed hints of that at points in here, but either it went away or I just topped noticing it, because by the second half of the bottle, it wasn't a problem. I'll be honest: I didn't feel that this lived up to the billing it seems to have received as one of the premiere brews of it's style. It's not a bad beer by any means, certainly enjoyable, but I didn't feel that it was the life changing end all be all of porters that it seems to have been attributed as being. Check it out. Decide for yourself.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Deep ruby brown with a tan brown mocha color to the massive sized head leaving definite clear rings of lacing to it. Slight fruity approach mixture of hops in there to balance out the semi smoked deep roasted malts that provide chocolate and some coffee tones very nice.Definitely an acquired bitterness with a pleasant array of rolling sharp sweet tones blended with the coffee and chocolate available along with a sharp ale yeast driven fruitiness. a bit thin and needs some texture

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

I am rating this beer lower than many others here, I found it to be almost too rich, as another reviewer noted maybe it is more suitable for desert?

Pours dark, dark, almost black with a small head. The taste is sweet with lots of molasses. While I would not turn this down if someone offered it to me, it would not be my first pick.

Poured from a 550mL bottle

A: Pours a light brown/red color with a sizable fluffy, tan head that has good sticking power.

S: Aromas are of chocolate, coffee, and sweet roasted malts. A faint bitter hoppyness is apparent with the finish. As the beer warms it gets even better.

T: Taste is at first of roasted malts, with nice coffe and more coco tastes coming in later.

M: Mouthfeel is pretty light, and the carbonation level was a bit higher than I was expecting. A very smooth beer with a good flavor.

D: This beer is not too strong in flavor or odor, but it has a good complex flavor that is easy to drink and very enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Never had a porter before, this one just happened to be an odd bottle in a four pack of Sam Smith EPA, so of course I'm gonna drink the damn thing. Some may even call it fate....

Boy is this puppy dark! Thin head but I think my wife offshot the pour a little. I forgive her....this time. Head didn't hang out too long.

Smell? CHOCOLATE! Coffee too.

Taste? DARK CHOCOLATE! Coffee too. Maybe even reminded of grapes, like wine. Not bad at all even though this isn't my usual style. I wanted to dislike it because it seemed to chocolaty for me but I just couldn't.

It felt thinnner than it looks for sure.

I could easily enjoy one or two but probably not any more than that. I only have the one bottle and I doubt I'll buy more. It was definitely a nice pre-lunch treat.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really do like Samuel Smiths beers. I do, they are nice and smooth very easy to drink... but I prefer my stouts and porters a little heavier with some bite. Dont get me wrong this is still an excellent beer just a bit mild to me.
Pours very dark with nice tan head minimal lacing. Very soft smell not too strong. Bits of sweetened coffee and dark fruit maybe molasses... taste is actually quite light, slight bitterness at the end, tastes as it smells. Finishes very well. No lingering after taste. Will enjoy another time... Cheers

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

550 ml (1 pint, 2.7 fl oz.) bottle, with no bottled on date present. Expectations are slightly above average, as I've grown fond of nearly every beer I've had from Samuel Smith's thus far. Uncapped and poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark almost black color with the tiniest ruby dot showing through where I am able to discern some bubbles flowing to the top. Nice cap of creamy tan head floating on top. Some nice wispy lacing clinging to the sides. Second pour yielded me a nice two fingers of the same creamy tan head with decent retention.

S - Coffee. Some dark fruit smell like raisins. Slight hint of booze. Definitely some molasses / brown sugar type smell going on.

T - Smooth, creamy, medium-bodied feel. Roasted coffee beans. Some dark fruit / raisin taste and some light nutty flavors. Follows in the wake of the nose very well. A touch of sweetness on the finish.

M - Very dry finish, albeit smooth, crisp, and clean. Nicely balanced, and nicely bodied beer for sure. Like others have said before, it is somewhat on the sweeter side than a lot of porters.

Overall, it is definitely not my favorite Samuel Smith's brew, but it is well-crafted, to be sure. I think I would probably prefer the Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout or the Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to this one though, but that's just my personal preference. It just didn't impress me as much as some of their other beers have. Still, it is definitely a beer worth checking out, with a modest 5.0% abv and reasonably priced at only $3.99 around Chicago land.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter ---3.5/5

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Black with some ruby/cola highlights at the bottom of the glass. Big frothy beige head with great retention.

S: Mainly roasted malt/charred toast in the aroma, with minor hints of sour fruit.

T: Roasted barley, as in the smell, with a little more sweetness. Flavor also carries some smokeyness and a slight sour twang that you get with some traditional porters. I also get a touch of old coffee.

M: Fairly light with moderate carbonation. Could be a little more creamy, but not a glaring weakness.

Overall, not a bad porter, but I prefer a slightly more robust flavor and body.

found a bottle at Andersonville liquors in Chicago

Dark brown hue with a moderate fizzy white head that diminished quickly.

Moderate scent of toasted malts, molasses, light doughy yeasty aroma

A very nice taste with roasted nuts and malts, a dry smoked nuts taste with a hint of mapley goodness

A very good english Porter. Drinkable and quite tasty

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Pours a very dark brown with a mocha head. The head starts out very pitted but settles to almost nothing. No lacing.

S-Burnt coffee and some faint chocolate.

T- Well balanced. The coffee and cocoa tastes nice but subdued. Typical bitter twang also present.

M- Body is a bit light but creamy when swirled.

O: Definitely a good porter. Not as great as I remember in the past. Fullers is far superior for an English Porter IMHO. That said...this is nicer than many.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

The Famous Taddy Porter has a rich brown colored body with accents of ruby in it. The head is the color of milk chocolate, and is pretty thick and resilient, holding on for a while and leaving some pretty good lacing behind.

It takes quite a bit of smelling to get much out of this beer, it just doesn't pack a ton of punch in the aroma department. Some chocolate, roasted malts, caramel and maybe a touch of coffee.

The flavor is stronger and better than the aroma, featuring caramel as the strongest component. Bitter chocolate and roasted malts come next, and there is perhaps a touch of bitter coffee. A slight fruitiness and just a hint of hops are in there also.

The overall mouthfeel seems a little on the light side for the style, but there isn't anything seriously wrong with it.

Samuel Smith's Famouns Taddy Porter is pretty good. Solid beer overall.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark brown in color. Mild roasty nose. Full-bodied with a flavor that has a touch of sweetness and a trace of something else that is hard to place.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

A: Poured a nice black body witha tan head that stood 2 1/2 fingers high. The head quickly disipated to 1/2 finger and left nice lacing.

S: Not a very strong aroma but did have subtle hints of roasted dark malts.

T: Very sweet. Little if any hops bite to it. Had a slight coffee after taste. However, the flavor that stood out to me the most was of apples. This beer to me tastes like apples.

M: To me this beer was pretty thin for a porter. However, with that being said it also is very crisp feeling which is nice.

D: Very drinkable. I would suggest this brew to anyone who wants to start exploring the world of porters. It's sweetier then their American counter-parts.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

A very deep dark brown pour accented by ruby highlights through a seemingly clear liquid. The head is slim but creamy and reduces to a compact film within minutes. No trace of lace but the film survives.

Aromas were somewhat underwhelming even after warming. Dominated by roasted notes and malty chocolate over a slightly hoppy underpinning. Expected more of an aromatic profile.

First taste reveals a firm and crisp brew of medium body. It fills the mouth assertively and rightly paves the way for sound notes of cocoa and roasted grains. The middle and end are slightly fruity but are mostly dominated by a lingering hops and drying burnt bitterness that fades lazily for several minutes.

A decent session porter for those who are just getting into the style.

Santé

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the gold foil topped bottle to my favorite snifter. Black appearance with a nice two finger tan head. Malty toasty smell and coffee roasted flavor. I liked reading a previous poster say campfire which is the word I was looking for. In a good way. Mouthfeel was medium. Light carbonation. Dangerously easy drinking.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Pitch black colored beer with a small slowly fading head,Aroma is coffee beans.Taste is chocolate,malts,cream and coffee.Creamy and smooth goes down very nicely.I think porter fans should try at least once.I know this is something I will buy again in the futrue.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thick black color with an ample brown head. Aroma is sweet and malty with some hints of coffee/chocolate in the nose. Taste starts out simple upfront and then fades to a mild smokiness/coffee flavor at the back of the throat. Has the complexity of a chocolate malt beverage. It's certainly very drinkable and true to the style. Decent.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Dark brown, with a tan head... eventually settled to a lace that clung to the glass. Aroma and flavor of roast coffee and a little bit of smoke. Very smooth, low carbonation, and a medium mouthfeel. This is a pretty good offering from Old Brewery Tadcaster.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very very dark brown beer with some mahogony highlights when held up to a light. Has a creamy brown head that leaves some lace. There is a sweet malty aroma with some molasses in the background. A good strong roasted malt bitterness at the start and some toffee and coffee notes on the finish.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a big head, I almost had it fall over the top, but the head was so great that it fell over the edge and stayed! It came back and left a thick little head that didn't go anywhere. The color is black. A slight malty characteristic comes through with a little roastiness, nothing big and noticable. The flavor is very bready, but light. Slight roasted malts and bread, that's all I got. Mouthfeel was nice, wasn't as smooth as I like my porters. I would try this again, but not anytime soon, good experience though.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a light black/amber color with apparent carbonation. bubbly head.

smell is milky malts with hints of chocolate

the taste pairs well with smell, a flat malt and carbonated milky taste.

Mouthfeel is a thin finish with lots of flavor, the malts in this are great. Good drinkability due to it's thinness and carbonation. Simular to a dry stout.

I had higher expectations. Maybe a bad batch?

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Pours a black color with some deep brown around the edges. A nice head forms and sticks around. This leaves some pretty good lace down the glass. A very good looking porter.
S: Some malt, chocolete. Pretty thin though, not all that impressed here.
T: Lots of sweet malt with some nice chocolate and coffee flavors. A nice wood/earthy taste that I think works well here.
M/D: Kind of thin and watery for my tastes. Drinkibility is good though. Smooth and easy going.

A good quafable porter that is recommended.

Poured into a glass from the 550ml bottle

A-Dark brown almost black, tan head and little lacing.

S-I was not impressed here; wasn't bad just kind of boring.

T-A hint of chocolate, very malty, a hint of something nutty. This is nice.

MF-Thicker than other porters that I've tried, and I like it.

D-I feel that I could easily drink multiple of these, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two. I could see me starting out a cold night of pubbing with this, though.

Overall, this is the best porter that I've had so far, but that's a relatively small list at this point. This makes me look forward to the next porter that I can get my hands on.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550ml from Party Source poured into a pint glass at 50-55. No dating on the bottle.

A: Pours black with a touch of red hues around the edges. Two finder light tan head. Kinda fizzy head at first then calms down to a soft 1/4 inch.

S: Soft scent of roasted malts and coffee beans. The background gives off a prune or date smell.

T/M: Very subtle in the taste department. some roasted malts but not nearly as profound as I expected. coffee notes seem to stand in the background of the plump, ripe fruit. Plume/prune and figs. Overly ripened bananas? Lower body than I had expected, probably caused by a slightly high carbonation. Finish is warming and a tad on the dry side.

D: Tasty(yet subtle), easy on the tongue. I might get this every once in awhile. It's no Ed Fit but it holds it's own. Went great with my pork loin but had no chance versus the garlic mashed potatoes.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)