1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,219 | Reviews: 1,211 | Show All Ratings:
Darkmagus82

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep brown, nearly black color with a big creamy tan colored head. The head has a great level of retention, fading slowly over time to give a very nice level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heavy of chocolate and mixed with sweet and sugary aromas of caramel and toffee as well as with other strong sweet aromas of dark fruits. A roasted malt aroma complements the sweeter aromas quite well, and in combination with the sweet, as well as a light earthy and woody smell, it creates a great nose on this brew.

Taste – The taste is drier and more bitter then the nose would have let on. It begins of a roasted dark malt flavor with hints of sweet chocolate and some caramel. These sweeter flavors begin to fade as the taste advances with the taste bittering more toward the middle, as flavors of cocoa and some coffee come to the tongue. A bitter-sour flavor comes to the tongue more toward the middle and the end with some light hop flavors coming to the taste as well. These flavors create a rather tangy but dark and roasty flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the medium to slightly above medium side in terms of creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is on the average side. Not bad for the style as it makes it rather drinkable, but does not take away from the roasty and tangy flavors of the beer.

Overall – A rather interesting take on a porter. While I am not a huge fan of the tanginess that comes into the taste toward the middle/end, it is somewhat intriguing. Other then the tanginess I enjoyed the flavors, feel and look of the brew. It is definitely worth a try.

12-12-2012 01:45:23 | More by Darkmagus82
WesWes

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is decent, but a bit on the dark side. It is full of roasted and black malts; a hearty porter. The taste is good. It has an elevated abv. taste with black malt flavor and a creamy finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent porter; definately not my favorite. I just can't get into these super black porters.

01-21-2004 02:18:25 | More by WesWes
HochFliegen

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Taddy Porter is black. Very dark with the slighest hue of red. A nice creamy tan head sits atop the beer.
The smell is of chocolate and coffee with hint of fruit in the after smell.
The taste is quite the same chocolate with hints of coffee. Fruity tastes as well with a nice dry like finish.

11-27-2004 20:27:55 | More by HochFliegen
Naes

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Visuals are black in color with a huge light tan head that does not die down all that easily. Needless to say, it laces quite beautifully.

Aroma is malty and roasty.

Its flavor is roasty and has a peculiar taste that I can’t put my hands on. It is also well balanced by some hop bitterness. This is a unique porter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and is carbonated well.

Easy drinking and worth a try.

07-17-2005 04:24:15 | More by Naes
brentk56

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Pours a charcoal black body with the faintest ruby highlights; despite a hard pour, I didn't get much of a head but a ringlet lasted throughout; not much lacing

Smell: Coffee, tobacco, licorice and dark chocolate on the nose, but fainter than I expected

Taste: Starts out brown bready but a bitter/sour flavor takes over in the middle and fades while the sweet chocolate, coffee and tobacco elements resume their promenance; nice dark chocolate aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Judging from the other ratings, I was inclined to mark my scores up a notch but I wouldn't be honest to this bottle if I did that; worth taking another try in the future, I was put off by some of the sour elements in this sample

10-16-2005 22:50:04 | More by brentk56
MrHolland

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle, poured a pitch black color with a very dark tan, two finger head.
Smells like roasted dark malts with a faint hint of chocolate.
This beer has a medium mouthfeel with loads of roasted malt flavors with more carbonation then I would expect for a porter. Not a bad porter, but I don't agree with the price.

07-24-2006 01:47:41 | More by MrHolland
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours with a three-finger thick, light brown colored head that leaves some lacing on the side of the glass as it falls back into the brew. The brew is an opaque, deep, dark chocolate brown color that is approaching black. Rich concentrated aromas of malt are readily evident from the get go. A mix of treacle, toffee, toasted grain, sweet chocolate and a rich concentrated malt note that is usually found in much stronger imperial stouts and is often confused with soy-sauce type flavors.

The body of this beer is a bit lighter than I expected from the assertively malty aroma. It is still rich and even a bit creamy though. Notes of concentrated malt intermingle with notes of chocolate, black coffee, toffee, and lots of rich, umami type notes. The umami type flavors almost lend a sort of saltiness to this brew, though not quite. This beer really does drink a lot richer than it's strength would suggest; a mini meal in a bottle, and I can remember back in my early beer drinking days, being shocked by the flavors packed into this brew. Even now the flavors are still quite jarring; still this is a tasty tipple and one I am happy to revisit again.

08-06-2006 21:21:48 | More by Gueuzedude
atrus138

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Well looky here. Looks like someone swapped one of my oatmeal stouts for a Taddy Porter.

Pours a very dark brown, though not quite opaque. About a finger and a half khaki-colored head. Moderate lacing. The smell is very faint. Chocolate, mostly, but also a hop presence. Taste is also on the light side. Flavors are dark and woody. Some fruity notes. Mouthfeel was way thin with adequate carbonation. The low ABV makes this very drinkable for a porter.

I was fairly disappointed with this. It wasn't bad, just not as robust as I had hoped after immensely enjoying both Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial stouts. I'm glad I had it, but I would take the Oatmeal Stout over this any day.

01-10-2008 06:36:16 | More by atrus138
corby112

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a very dark brown color with ruby edges and a two finger foamy tan head. Aroma of oatmeal, roasted malts and hops. Lots of oatmeal and roasted malt up front, followed by chocolate, toffee and nut. Dry slightly bitter finish.

11-28-2008 06:52:49 | More by corby112
donkeyrunner

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Opaque black with a large mud brown head. Several sticky lace rings and solid foam retention. Looks like something I'd want to drink.

Smells of dark coffee, chocolate, light char and carmelized brown sugar.

Gentle roast malts to a sour char taste. Has that English tea-like ick to it. Husky chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a light carbonated tickle.

Overall, pretty eh.

03-30-2009 21:29:17 | More by donkeyrunner
scottfrie

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown with three fingers of fluffy dark tan head that took forever to fade into thick film that left a few streaks of thick lacing down the glass.
S: Not exceptionally smelly but what is there is nutty and roasted. I get a few notes of sweet malt as well.
T: Follows the nose with a light roasted, nutty, and woody flavor. There is a brown sugar-like sweetness to it, and unfortunately a bit of strange metallic taste. The finish has notes of molasses, and the aftertaste is lightly bitter and reminds me of dark fruits.
M: Airy, frothy carbonation that puffs up on my palate before quickly tapering off in the finish. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is pillowy soft and smooth but, a touch thin.
O: A straightforward porter. Easy to drink with any occasion. Goes down smooth but it’s not earth shattering.

07-31-2011 20:13:27 | More by scottfrie
OldFrothingSlosh

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml gold foil topped clear bottle sans freshness dating. Pours a very dark ruby-tinged blackness with a voluminous tan head that persists forever and leaves lace sheets on the glass. Aromas are very muted and tough to pick out, even when warmed to near room temperature. Whiffs of chocolate, caramel, vanilla?, and even some smoked dark fruit are noted. Flavor is not a robust as I'd expected. Perhaps I am unfairly judging this style (the first "English Porter" I've sampled), but it just didn't strike me as that tasty. There's the usual suspects of choclate, some cocoa powder, a dash of bittering hops, and some caramel, but nothing astounding. Mouthfeel was on the thinner side as well. Drinkable, but not like other porters I've had.

08-17-2004 21:12:25 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
fank2788

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a clear 355ml bottle into a glass. The beer is dark black with a bit of a ruby tint when held to the light. The head is dirty white with ok retenetion and some lacing. The smell is malty to me maybe slightly week I'm also getting maybe some hops or skunkiness. Taste is just like the smell mellow flavors blended well but again I feel that age or light may have gotten to this one it seems like it is missing something. Mouthfeel is perfect for a porter smooth and with a good level of carbonation. This is a sessionable beer well it would be if the price was a bit better per four pack.

12-01-2006 23:15:07 | More by fank2788
GeoffW

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

In lieu of giving a review that probably won't coincide with the majority of porter fans here, I'll just stick with my basic impressions of this beer.

First of all, this isn't my style of choice. I heard it was good and it's the first of this style of beer that I've ever had. Normally I go for anything Belgian, this was a bit of an adventure for me.

It poured black, and I mean really bloody black. Not much of a head, but it stuck around for awhile and there were some nice lace rings in the glass as I steadily knocked this bad boy down.

Taste and smell were a little foreign to me, maybe I bought some stuff that was pasturized or stored incorrectly, exposed to light, etc, whatever. It smelled and tasted good, but I really wasn't that big of a fan. I'll let other beer dudes talk about the various flavors and whatnot that came through with the beer.

Mouthfeel was again a little strange, I don't know how to quite describe it. The beer wasn't something that I immediately wanted to gulp down because of some overly bad quality, but I still had the urge to get the stuff out of my mouth and off my palate.

Drinkability was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Not something I would go buy again.

Overall, the competence and talent of the brewers is apparent in this beer but it just wasn't for me. It was obviously well thought out and well made, I guess I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Oh well.

03-04-2008 07:56:32 | More by GeoffW
manahansf

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a clear and light brown color with a light and lacy tan head. A light sweet malt aroma is pushed out of the glass by the visible mild carbonation levels. The drink is light and flows well with the toffee malt flavor. Smooth and refreshing to drink it is well balanced and finishes quick and clean. Great example of an English style and great for the warmer parts of spring and fall.

03-09-2010 01:19:38 | More by manahansf
Monsteruss

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

The foam was a dark wheat in color, 2 finger depth, smooth and lacey. The color was a very dark cola with hints of amber in the light. The taste was deep and bobust, roasted malt a barley undertone and a crisp hops highlight. Mouthfeel - crisp, smooth, clean, full/heavy bodied but not too heavy. Drinkability - smooth and was alot crispier and a light feel than expected by the color. Nice session.

01-21-2011 01:39:53 | More by Monsteruss
tewaris

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

550 ml (bought for 2.99 at Zipp's Liquors!) poured into a Surly pint glass.

Dark brown with garnet highlights and a medium tan head with creamy texture. Good retention and great lacing. The aroma is classic British dark ale: caramel, toast, coconut and toffee; even more than dark malts that should be the highlight of this beer. Decent frutiness.

Taste is heavier on the dark and fruity side of things than, say, toast and coconut. I don't get any coffee but certainly some chocolaty notes are present. The finish is quite sweet, with hints of roast, but not enough to make it too dry. The body is medium and carbonation a little high for the taste profile.

If it indeed is an example of Old World porter, then the American versions are much better on the characteristics this beer boasts to be its highlights viz. roast, dryness etc. On the other hand I am loving the maltiness of this porter. Tough choice, but if I were aching for a porter as I know it, I'd rather grab an Edmund Fitzgerald.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3/5; Mouthfeel 4/5; Overall 4/5

08-28-2011 09:30:49 | More by tewaris
jegross2

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

2011 vintage served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown. Held up to light, hints of red light barely pierce the beer's body. Pours a thin tan lace that mostly dissipates on settle into a small swirl of tan at the center of the beer. 3.5/5

Smell: Smells like milk chocolate mixed with black licorice. Faint slightly toasted coffee aromas as well. Smells a little acidic. 4/5

Taste: Flavor is very subdued and balanced, making it hard to discern specific flavors. The subdued taste is a disappointment given the robust flavors of the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. What flavors I can divine are cream and roasted coffee. Absolute hop vacuum. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation. 3.5/5

Overall: Very unimpressed given the beer's reputation. Skip this one and just go straight to the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.

11-17-2011 05:50:04 | More by jegross2
WilliamPhilaPa

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Expections were high for this brew, from reading some of the other reviews that I had read. I had both the D.Carnegie & Co. and the Entire Butt porters' in the last couple of weeks, and I enjoyed those two much more. Anyway...Pours a nice black color, the aroma is sort of flat, almost like cold bacon. Nice tiny head that sticks around. The taste is slightly tiny hints of expresso and chocolate. Maybe I enjoy a sweeter porter....
It ends with a nice long finish. Like I said though...not bad at all, but there are plenty of other options open.

04-14-2002 05:58:45 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
RoyalT

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – Black in color with a fine, frothing head that went down slowly and left a little lacing.

Smell – The roasted malts are pleasant and play well with the fruits. There’s some nice grapefruit to be had here along with some dark caramel and smoke.

Taste – The fruits come out big at the taste, making this one lighter than expected. The charcoal smoke and lightly-roasted malts show up as well.

Mouthfeel – Exceptionally sweet and easy on the mouth. This porter is on the heavy side of medium-bodied and felt extremely good going down.

Drinkability – A session porter if there ever was one.

Update – I rated this beer with a 2003 vintage so thought it would be interesting to re-visit it with an ’04. Here are my thoughts:

Yes, there is some rather large grapefruit at the nose. I didn’t pick up as much sweetness in the taste this time around, but I got some good (albeit light) brown sugar and a twang of rising yeast. It’s definitely a solid medium in the body and was a little too clumsy to be called a “session brew”. I’m adjusting the scores a little bit but I think, ultimately, this is a “sub-4.0” beer that barely avoids my, “would buy again” recommendation.

12-31-2003 03:54:26 | More by RoyalT
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

Nice big and lasting head on this one. Clings as it lowers and very creamy. Body is black as the night outside.

I get a faint smell of dark coffee, but not much else. A bit of warming picks up a bit of fruit, coffee smell is a bit stronger. It isn't bad, I just expected a bit more.

The taste is kind of light for a porter. Toasty malt in the beginning, the coffee comes in the middle. Is that a dark grape aftertaste? Pretty good though.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin but overall this beer goes down good. A bit bitter but not much.

This is a good enough beer for a session, and isn't too strong so I'd say it's decently drinkable. I'll have it now and again even though it isn't my favorite porter.

06-21-2004 07:21:48 | More by DPMomutant
JustinOSU99

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Large brown head on a very dark delicious looking body.
S: Very sweet smelling with hints of honey, caramel, coffee, mocha and yeast.
T: Lacks some of the intricacy that I have had in other excellent porters, but definitely has a good flavor. I notice the mocha and coffee flavors really coming out the strongest.
M: Sits heavy on the palate but also very smooth.
D: It's a decent porter that I could sit and have a few of, but nothing to rave about.

09-21-2006 00:16:30 | More by JustinOSU99
bluejacket74

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with a small off-white head. It smells like chocolate, roasted malt and some dark fruit. It tastes the same way to me, but in addition to the initial malty sweetness, there's a bitter coffee-like finish. The mouthfeel is light/medium, and it's a bit creamy and smooth. The drinkability is good, but not great. Overall it's a good beer, but I've had better porters.

11-24-2006 02:02:30 | More by bluejacket74
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

550ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A- 1 finger of mocha head which fades to a crown, sitting atop a jet black body, minimal lacing.

S- Smokey, roasted malts, raisins and prunes, a faint creamy yoghurtyness.

T- Smokey in the beginning, lots of roasted malts, balances out well in the finish with a nice nuttiness with a little cream.

M- Medium carbonation, a touch watery.

D- As porters go this is nice, complex peaty smokey flavours balances well with a faint nuttiness in the finish. It reminds me of guiness when i first start drinking beer, a shock to the system with roasted bitterness in a session beer.

Just not a fan of the porter style though, i prefer a higher abv sipper such as an RIS when it comes to a complex smokey brew. I prefer the SS imperial stout and oatmeal stout(oatmeal stout for the lesser bitterness and increased nuttiness)

P.S paired this with a grilled frikadellen on a crusty roll, meat was a nice combo with the smokey roasted bitterness.

03-08-2008 13:38:33 | More by seanyfo
Lars3

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

I poured a 550mL bottle into a 20oz nonic pint glass.

There was very little head to the beer, although I'm going to attribute that to my cautious pour. I wasn't sure if the beer would fit the glass. It did, barely.

The smell was the best part. It was burnt, nutty, malty and myriad other scents I couldn't pin down.

The mouth-feel let me down. I felt the beer to be too light and watery. Although this lighter body is probably was keeps it a porter and not a stout.

I'll drink more of this someday. It won't be my goto porter, but it will be considered when my Black Boss isn't available.

09-05-2009 01:55:54 | More by Lars3
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)