Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,261 | Hads: 2,799
3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

No date on the bottle. Working my way through this brewery. Poured into a goblet. Beer is dark brown to black. Forms a thin broken head of small brown bubbles. Carbonation is low. Lacing is low. Looks OK.

Aroma is mostly sweet, almost molasses. Interesting. Overall its a little weak.

Beer is medium in body, some roast comes up at the end, almost as an after taste, the bitterness lingers, not much carbonation on the palate. Overall the flavors are a little weak. I think its a good beer, a drinkable beer, but I'm generally bored. (535 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Presentation: 1pint bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown with a delightfully creamy head that lasts till the end.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee aroma with a very clean smell.

Taste: Very rich palate, with a taste of chocolate and even coffee. It also had a roasted taste to it much like the oatmeal stout.

Mouth-Feel: Very creamy and smooth

Drink-ability: One of the best porters out there. I really enjoyed this brew and highly recommend it. (495 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer for the second time and the purpose of review last night, quite a big bottle of it really. I poured it into an English pint glass and had to admire the visual effect of the beer. It was medium chilled. It was black with a hint of ruby color, and a much lighter head that was about 1/8 of an inch.

I smelled and smelled and smelled but I didn’t really enjoy the nose too much, even after repeated sips. My first impression was that this was full bodied but slick and watery. There was a bitter-sweet roasted quality that lingered until the slightly bitter finish.It can be likened to drinking a big watered down double espresso with sugar but only a touch of cream. You can’t help but think, “this is going to be a huge beer because it is so black, so opaque.” But sadly, its not that big or complex.

There is a redeeming quality to this beer, in my eyes though, and it lies in the drinkability. As you progress through a pint, the beer becomes more drinkable, and the sweetness and bitterness balance, much like a perfectly made cup of coffee. I would recommend this on a late fall night, to anyone who remotely likes English ale or hanging out in a pub- but if you do- this is probably already one of your favorites. (1,247 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle from AJ's Fine Foods, North Central Phoenix. 12oz bottle into a hotel room tumbler at room temperature, classy.

Pours a dark brown with a nice fluffy head of a dusty offwhite foam. Great voluminous retention and some decent lace, even for the serving vessel. Nose has some cocoa, some Sam Smith hard water/metallic notes, a creamy sweetness with even a hint of tartness. Taste has some copper, some dark fruit notes and a bit of milk chocolate and again, a shade of some tartness. Mouthfeel is medium light, with a bit of roast in the finish. Low carbonation. A nice porter, but I can't seem to get past these copper notes - it's like sucking on a penny. I've experienced this to differing degrees in Sam Smith beers, but this one (or at least this bottle) seems to have it in substantial amounts. (806 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Pretty dark, some reddish brown at the edges, 2cm tan head forms. Aroma is malty and chocolatey with some dark cherries. The taste is sweet and almost fruity, apple cider and cherries, with a lot of chocolate undertones. Fairly light bodied for a creamy beer, easy to drink.

Verdict: a standard. A good beer, I would never hesitate to drink one in front of me, but you won't find my frige full of them. (405 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

550 mL gold foil topped bottle.

Mostly opaque, but clear dark brown color with rub highlights with a thick, creamy light tan head that has little retention or lacing. Aroma is sweet and creamy, prominently features milk chocolate, cocoa, roast malt notes but overall mild. Medium bodied with smooth, light carbonation and a slightly bitter, cloying aftertaste that ends quickly and is slightly watery. Flavor is pleasant, balance of chocolate/malt sweetness and mild dark fruit bitterness, but overall the slightly thin mouthfeel and short finish detracts from the fullness of the flavor. I don't know, I hoped for more from this, not a bad porter but not exceptional like anticipated. (686 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Enjoy this beer with some dark chocolate!

Very nice dark, almost opaque color. Poured with a fine head.

Take a snoot, and the sour "old ale" aroma comes through most of all. This is also a major flavor, rounded out with lingering burnt and coffee-like tastes.

I enjoyed it most paired with a few bites of dark chocolate. (329 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass.

Brown in color with a one-finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves a thin film on top of the beer. No lacing at all. The nose on this beer is fantastic. Very complex with cola, chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, and a hint of smoke. Musty yeast to round it out. Little hop aroma at all. The flavor is what really throws me off. I got a heavy sweetness with a strong diacetyl presence. The buttery off-flavor made it somewhat hard for me to drink, but not terrible. Medium bodied with long lasting flavor.

This is a perplexing beer for me, a difficult one to rate for sure. I want to smell this beer all day long, but then I get to the diacetyl and I'm not sure if I want another sip or not. Maybe I got a bad 4-pack, but I'm not positive. I can't decide if I want to drink the other two bottles I have left or cook with them. (885 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Ultra dark brown, nearly black. large white head with lots of lacing.

S: Roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and alcohol fill the nose. Sweet dark chocolate malts are strong in the aroma. There are very slight notes of dark fruit in the background.

T: Flat and creamy chocolate taste with heavy notes of roasted coffee beans. bittersweet upfront. Nothing very special about this brew in my opinion. Bitter wine-like aftertaste.

M: Creamy and pretty rich. Low carbonation and a medium body.

D: Easy drinker. Nothing spectacular about this one, there are way better porters out there. (590 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - almost completely opaque with a reddish brown hue. One finger tan head that dissipates fairly quick to a ring.

s - roasted, sweet

t - A good amount of smoke flavor. A lot more sweetness then I expected. Slightly bitter finish to help balance.

m - little bit of carbonation, medium heaviness

d - a decent porter for me, but a little more sweet then I would have liked. (378 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 355ml bottle, poured a pitch black color with a very dark tan, two finger head.
Smells like roasted dark malts with a faint hint of chocolate.
This beer has a medium mouthfeel with loads of roasted malt flavors with more carbonation then I would expect for a porter. Not a bad porter, but I don't agree with the price. (352 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

550 ml bottle. Pours dark brown with a long lasting, foamy, tanned head and much lacing. Aroma is of bready malt and herbal hops. Medium, smooth body. Taste is sweet toasted malt in the beginning followed by dark chocolate, some dry fruit and some acidity. Long coffee finish. This brew tastes more like American Brown. (319 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Very dark amber hue. Almost looks black but held up to the light you can see through it. There is a 1.5 finger off white head with great lacing.

S - Slightly fruity aroma… maybe I’m mistaking lactose for fruity. Vanilla, chocolate, no coffee to speak of. Cherry might be the aroma I’m looking for. Really doesn’t smell like any porter I’ve encountered.

T - Taste is equally as fruity. Cherry, licorice, vanilla are the main flavors. Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, all the flavors I would normally expect in a porter are missing. I haven’t had many English porters, so I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be this fruity, but that’s definitely what it has going for it.

M - Medium bodied, which surprises me. For a beer this fruity, I would expect something a little lighter bodied, but I’m fine with it. Finish is sweet and wet with a distinct cherry aftertaste.

O - Overall, I don’t particularly like this beer. It doesn’t scream porter to me, but I could just be used to the American porters. The sweetness just wasn’t what I was looking for. If that’s your scene, this is the beer for you, just not what I wanted. (1,151 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a near black color which reveals crimson highlight when held to the light. A creamy head of tightly knit light brown suds puffs up to 2 fingers and retains quite well. Lace is spotty and minimal.

The aroma is a bit more subtle than I remember. There's the usual roasted dark malt aromas, very light coffee, chocolate, leather, and a chalky mineralality.

The flavor is a bit more pronounced with creamy toasted malts, licorice, dark caramel, light chocolate, and a lively hop finish. A very classic and mild example of the style.

The body is on the light side of medium, with a smooth creamy body accentuated by moderate corbonation. It went fantastically well with the tiramisu cheesecake we had for dessert. Overall, a tastey porter, but not as rich as Fullers or Anchor. (787 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into tulip pint.

Pours a very dark brown, near black with dark ruby-hued brown edges when held to the light. A creamy, foamy light tan head.

The aroma is of lightly roasted malts, with some toffee and nuttiness.

The and some toffee and nut in the finish.

A light to medium body with average carbonation.

Fairly average in all categories, but a good beer overall nonetheless. (392 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Pours a deep black in normal light, deep red with a back light. The head is a clay brown that quickly settles. Strong, raw hop aroma, coffee and chocolate. A slight hint of skunkiness when first poured, may be just that bottle. Deep chocolate and coffee flavor up front, malt sweetness in the middle, and a light, cleansing bite at the end. Some fruity esters come out after I get used to the initial flavors. Mouthfeel is full and chewey. Drinkability is nice for a beer with this much flavor. (494 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured very, very dark brown, not much light passed though. It had a small tan head and smelled a little of perhaps coffee? chocolate? perhaps a mix of the two. Taste was malty, coffee and a bit chocolatey but not as good as I expected from Sam Smiths as their other beers are GREAT. This was onlt good at best. You want a real Porter..go for Rogues Mocha Porter (362 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13%

The porter pours a nice deep coffee brown, with a light beige head that thins quite quickly. It offers up a rather heady almost earthy dense smell. The taste is a bit coffee and cocoa flavored initially, but with a light sweetness following. It finishes clean, with sharpness more expected with a higher ABV. The mouthfeel is rather thick and almost bready. A bit heavy to drink, unless you favor stouts, but decent and filling. A good choice for to accompany a hearty meal or with strong cheeses. (497 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Taddy Porter is black. Very dark with the slighest hue of red. A nice creamy tan head sits atop the beer.
The smell is of chocolate and coffee with hint of fruit in the after smell.
The taste is quite the same chocolate with hints of coffee. Fruity tastes as well with a nice dry like finish. (294 characters)

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: black with a reddish hue and a 2 finger off white head

smell: toffee, sweet malts,

taste: toffee, malts, coffee, caramel,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth,

drinkability: easy drinking porter due to how smooth it goes down.

Cheers,

The CPJ (281 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13%

550 ml (bought for 2.99 at Zipp's Liquors!) poured into a Surly pint glass.

Dark brown with garnet highlights and a medium tan head with creamy texture. Good retention and great lacing. The aroma is classic British dark ale: caramel, toast, coconut and toffee; even more than dark malts that should be the highlight of this beer. Decent frutiness.

Taste is heavier on the dark and fruity side of things than, say, toast and coconut. I don't get any coffee but certainly some chocolaty notes are present. The finish is quite sweet, with hints of roast, but not enough to make it too dry. The body is medium and carbonation a little high for the taste profile.

If it indeed is an example of Old World porter, then the American versions are much better on the characteristics this beer boasts to be its highlights viz. roast, dryness etc. On the other hand I am loving the maltiness of this porter. Tough choice, but if I were aching for a porter as I know it, I'd rather grab an Edmund Fitzgerald.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 4/5; Taste 3/5; Mouthfeel 4/5; Overall 4/5 (1,067 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -13.3%

My bottle of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is 550ml with gold foil on the top. And it is clear, as are all of the Samuel Smith bottles. Pours a beautiful deep brown with a thick tan head with good retention and lacing. Unfortunately, the first thing I smell upon opening the bottle is skunkiness, like every other bottle of Sam Smith's I've ever had. By letting it sit for a while, I can get some roasted caramel flavors and some hops but I can't totally get the skunkiness out of my nose. Taste is roasted and nutty with some coffee and chocolate notes as well, and if I could keep the skunkiness out of my nose would be spectacular. Finish is smokey and dry. Slightly slick mouthfeel. Would be very drinkable if ever bottle that I ever purchased wasn't skunked. It's a great porter, but unless they switch to brown bottles or I can get it straight out of the case, I won't be buying it very often. (897 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Opaque black with a large mud brown head. Several sticky lace rings and solid foam retention. Looks like something I'd want to drink.

Smells of dark coffee, chocolate, light char and carmelized brown sugar.

Gentle roast malts to a sour char taste. Has that English tea-like ick to it. Husky chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a light carbonated tickle.

Overall, pretty eh. (399 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is decent, but a bit on the dark side. It is full of roasted and black malts; a hearty porter. The taste is good. It has an elevated abv. taste with black malt flavor and a creamy finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent porter; definately not my favorite. I just can't get into these super black porters. (431 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Visuals are black in color with a huge light tan head that does not die down all that easily. Needless to say, it laces quite beautifully.

Aroma is malty and roasty.

Its flavor is roasty and has a peculiar taste that I can’t put my hands on. It is also well balanced by some hop bitterness. This is a unique porter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and is carbonated well.

Easy drinking and worth a try. (416 characters)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)