Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,273 | Hads: 2,853
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed pub glass.

Appearance - Near pitch, slight brown/red hue. Beautiful tan colored head, fluffy and thick. Great lacing the whole way down.

Smell - Fruit cake, dark plum, ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, baked bread, chocolate, coffee...pretty much a symphony!

Taste - Bold, brilliant! Hearty mocha/carmel sweetness held in check with touches of tangy dried fruit and bitter sweet chocolate. Fine roasted coffee bitterness on finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation, good weight, smoothed out like single malt scotch.

Drinkability- I could drink this beer everyday from fall till spring. Could also be a dessert beer. But it's not overly heavy. Leaves you looking forward to another soon.

Has become one of my top three beers of all time!

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

I made this a sam smith's weekend thanks to the brown bottles! 460 reviews as of this posting. I won't pontificate to extremes about how good this beer really is. I will say this is one of my favorites of this style, if not the favorite of the style. Enjoy it if you see one, it's worth trying!

Poured from 12 oz into glass

A- Black with dark reddish tones with a very small tan head.

S- Real sweet malty smell to it, not much hops in this one.

T- Delicious coffee, roasted malty flavor to it, but blended perfectly creating a extremely smooth and enjoyable porter. The only thing I'm not to happy about is that it has a pretty dry finish, reccomend a glass of water after you drink one haha

M- The mouth feel of this beer is amazing, it's what makes it for me. So smooth and clean tasting, and goes down like water.

Great Beer, Buy it!!!

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours jet black with an impressive head. Smells of coffee & chocolate. Impressive malty aroma.

Very smooth and drinkable. At 5% ABV it is a real session beer that you could drink all night. At $2.99 for a 550ML bottle you could also probably afford to also.

This is a great beer and I am just mad that I haven't sampled it before now.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

The finest porter I recall ever drinking.

Poured from a 550 mL bottle into a pint glass. Forms a big tan head on a brownish, almost black liquid.

Aroma is laden with chocolate and roasted malt and caramel.

Flavor is complex and dense. Roasted grain. Chocolate. A tinge of winey-sourness somewhere in there. A little bit of bitter hops. Fairly dry yet rich. Maybe some espresso. Extremely balanced.

Mouthfeel is prickly with a little bit of creaminess and a slight velvety texture.

Extremely drinkable. Strong flavored yet fairly low in alcohol (5.0%)

Wish I bought more than one of these. Will be drinking it more in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

This is one of my favorite beers I have tried. I am new to the craft scene, but have tried probably 20-30 porters and stouts and this one is up there with the best, if not the best, so far. I think I will look a long time before I top this one. Anyway....

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a brandy glass. It creates a nice light tan head, but it doesn't last long. The aroma is hard to describe, but I like how some have called it earthy. The taste is fantastic, just what I have been looking for in a porter. Some chocolate and charred flavors come through well. It's simple and complex at the same time, if that makes any sense. The mouthfeel is good. In addition to taste, drinkability is where this beer really shines. I think I could throw back a six pack of this in no time, if I didn't want to enjoy it for some reason.

This beer makes me want to go in the woods, build a fire, cook a nice meal, and sit and eat and drink. I really like this one.

Poured into a Nonic at 45 degrees
A - Deep Chocolate brown with a cream colored head that exhibits excellent retention and lace in a smooth coat all around the glass' sides.

S - Smooth candy and anise aromas with an herbal hint. Strong tinges of smoke and coffee with a light toasted marshmallow note. the woody peat smoke aroma really draws you in.

M - A tingling buzz of carbonation followed by roasty nutty and creamy smooth full body with a dry finish.

T - This is a beautiful beer-Malty and smooth, but bold and smoky simultaneously with a nutty dry quality. Creamy smoothness and spicy vanilla with a dash of bourbon like woodiness are apparent in later sips. A mild strength, but deeply flavored porter.

D - Traditional porter taste that sets the bar high with a complexity and drinkability that can hardly be touched. As the beer warms the fruity English ale character comes out and smokiness nestles under the great porter sweetness. An all around great ale.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Complex dark brown with a ruby toned body and a tan head with a tint of green. Big bubbles on top and a ring of lace

S- Subdued roasted flavors and a slightly sweet chocolate aroma

T- Wow. Give it up for the greatest roasted flavor I have ever tasted in a beer. Sweet on the tongue with some bitter to prevent it from being cloying. Roasted, grainy, sweet and complex all in one sip.

M- Good, thick/creamy/silky feeling

D- Session Porter?

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

There's an old song,: In heaven ain't no beer, so we gotta drink it here!"
Well, I hope thats wrong because this brew is a taste of heaven!
The color is like Black Garnet when held up to the light. This and several others are making me a Porter lover!

4.79/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours deep black with thin red edges. Nice thick tan head with small and large bubbles. Retention is less than stellar, but decent. Nice sheet lacing that reduces to a stringy sticky film.

Aroma is awesome. Sweet roasted chocolate malt & coffee.

Taste is sweet up front, which dissolves into a momentary hop bitterness, then more sweet caramel that lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is creamy with light carbonation. Medium body.

Overall a deliciously drinkable porter, definitely on the sweet side, but pretty well balanced. Just like I like 'em. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor. It's pricey, but worth the cash.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

A - a lovely deep shade of brown to almost black, with thick and creamy tan head.

S - Smells of roasted malts, coffee and hints of chocolate.

T - I think the taste is exceptional. I am a big fan of porter's and this is one of the best I have had. Tastes of roasted malts and has a slight bitterness to it from finishing hops. Thick and creamy just like its appearance.

M - The carbonation for my taste is right on. This beer has a nice feel on the tongue with a slight dry finish to it.

D - As I have found with most porter's, one or two of these would be sufficient. It sets pretty heavy, but it's perfect for a desert beer or with a hearty meal.

Overall I was very pleased with this brew as I am with all the Samuel Smith's brews. Definitely will have more of these in the future.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Served in a 1 pint bottle.

A: Black, very dark, almost expresso-like in appearance with a great brown head with moderate lacing.

S: It has a strong molasses, malt and coffee aroma with a little bitter chocolate but not much.

T: Molasses and coffee dominate this Beer along with dark malt and a little bitter hops. It has a slight tangy sourness that might not sound good in a review but tastes good when your drinking it. Great full-bodied richness with a creamy texture.

M: A nice malty creamy texture that really complements the Beer. I love the way this feels on the tongue.

D: The ONLY reason I do not give this a 5 on drinkability is that this is a Beer to savor, not to chug down. I would not drink 3 or 4 of these, they are very rich beers. 2 at most.

Notes: I definitely recommend this porter, awesome flavor with a dark creamy feel to it. It lives up to the hype.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured black as night good head that diminished fairly quickly, but left a good collar all the way through, smell was complex, coffee predominant, with chocolate notes, taste was opposite of smell, chocolate predominant with coffee notes, some alcohol presence also, reminded me a bit of those chocolate covered cherries, with the liquour in them, excellent! mouthfeel was fairly light and crisp,Drinkability is Fucking BRILLIANT! excellent stuff! That I will have again, and again, and again, etc.. highly recomennded!

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a dark ruby brown with a fluffy brown head and nice lace. Coffee and chocalote aromas with some licorice. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, toffee and a roasted flavor. Even smoother after warming a little and not too heavy. Delicious and very easy to drink. A must try...A+

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

A- 1in dense creamy tawny brown head with decent retention over a black brew with golden amber highlights. waves of lace form spiderwebs on the inside of my glass.

S- cocoa butter or a faint chocolate coconut, coffee, well water, aromatic wood, cigar tobacco, meaty mushroom, burnt cookie, vanilla, hazelnut, roasted barley, and some earthy hops way in the back

T- very complex, dark ripe fruit (currant, date, fig, prune) tart roasted malt, cocoa-coffee grounds, dark nuts, oak, cedar, plum, black pepper, and the dude below hit it on the head when he said burnt hot dogs on the grill. i've been tryin for days to describe that flavor to myself and there it is. miraculous. a deep shiraz like aftertaste that matures and mellows into a coffee earthy hops resin fading slowly and gently into the distance.

MF- creamy and full bodied low carbonation creates a crushed velvet feel and coats the palate with mocha coffee residue imparting a dry feeling and the desire for another sip.

D- this has definitely increased my fondness for porters and the like and for a hophead such as myself, the perfect balance that i always find coming from the tadcaster is a welcome in my fridge anytime.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

550ml bottle poured into nonic.

Appearance: Dark. Almost black, with a bit of a ruby color. The head varies each time I have it, because I pour pretty cautiously at the end as the whole bottle barely fits in my 20oz. glass. But it usually has about an inch of head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: The scent of this beer is like a mystery zone. There are some coffee smells, burnt bread, dark chocolate, and a bit of a wine or grape smell, but that's just me.

Taste: Each time I drink it, I try to pick out something different. I think I've been tasting coffee as of recently, but I also taste a bit of chocolate. The hop taste is minimal to me. Other beers of similar style (Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, etc.) have a certain tasting note in them, and I really can't put my finger on it. I still love those beers, I don't particularly enjoy that one note. Taddy Porter lacks this note for me, and really makes it unique and a lot more enjoyable for me.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and a bit chewy. Not too carbonated, but not flat, either.

Drinkability: I could drink them all night. It's not so heavy that it fills you up after one pint, but it is satisfying for it's style in that it's a formidable dark brew.

As you can tell, I feel pretty good about this beer. In fact, it is my favorite beer.

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Big Cat Liquors in Lexington, poured into a porter/stout glass (oversized drinking glass)

A: Opaque near-black brown. Nice dark tan head, with decent lacing. Looks nice.
S: I, who can smell next to nothing, love the smell of this beer. It has a rich, chocolately nose with hints of easy malt. Lovely. Exquisite.
T: Thick, rich porter taste, though sweeter than some.
M: A little flat on the tongue, but still full and fantastic
O: An excellent beer. Wowza.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Opaque in color with a nice mahogany colored head that last until the glass is empty and leaves sticky lace draped on the sides. Smells like bakers chocolate with vanilla. Very dry and roasted in flavor with hints of chocolate, coffee, nuts, and vanilla. Bitter acidic taste in the middle. Again reminds me of bakers chocolate. The flavors are subtle but blend real well for perfect balance. The dry finish and mouthfeel is what makes this beer stand out above other outstanding porters. Excellent session porter and I don't really see how you could do better.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A classic porter with an understated complexity. It reminds me of fall, which is why I am drinking it...and any beer that has a unique enough taste ti invoke good memories is a good one. It is earthy, mildly bitter, slightly sweet with a good finish. I love it!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

It pours an extremely dark brown, almost black in appearance. There is a small tan head, with little lacing on the glass.

It's aroma is that of roast coffee, with hints of berries. It's a very attractive looking and smelling drink.

The taste is dominated by coffee flavors, but there is a somewhat muted sweet malt flavor as well. The finish is bitter, with a roast coffee bean aftertaste.

The mouth feel is rich and creamy, with light carbonation. This beer is very similar in taste and feel to Guinness, but it has a much more balanced bitterness.

This is a very drinkable beer. Even though it's not a thirst-quencher, it is very flavorful, incredibly well balanced, and just tastes great.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 18.2oz bottle into a pint glass.
Out cascades a THICK, black as night body with about a fingers worth of mocha colored head.
Smells of dark strong roast and alcohol.
First taste is silky and chocolately goodness!
Another whiff and my nose thinks its a Hershey bar melted into a fresh pot of delicious coffee. Slight bitterness hits the tongue first, quickly followed by a smokey wood flavor. I am left with bits of coco danging in my mouth. Hints of raisins sprint across the tongue. What a complex brew!
This beer departs your pallet as quickly as it got there, leaving only a relish of smoked chocolate in your mouth.
I will definitely get this one again!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Sampled April 2012 from bottles in pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown color, with tan head. Nice appearance in a pint glass.

Smell: Some coffee aromas, with hints of toasted/burnt aromas. Smell is not over-powering.

Taste: Medium-bodied porter with great balance of malt and hops. Dominated by toasted coffee, but with some chocolate flavors as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied for a porter, but very smooth.

Overall: This is my favorite porter, and the standard I compare all other porters to.

i got a .5 liter bottle from the local spot

Pours a deep brown with a creamy cake like head that floats on top.

Rich creamy, chocolate, coffee. a brilliant porter over all. not too little carbonation (like some porters i have had). It's effing delicious. this is god damned delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Very Dark, near black, rich thick tan head, nice lacing down to the end.

S - Very malty with a mild smell of alcohol, coffee and some a hints of dark chocolate.

T - Bitter yet malty sweet all in one. Malt and coffee flavors really shine.
M- Lightly carbonated. Silky smooth

D - This stuff is Stellar and could easily be sessioned, I would recommend trying this beer.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

nice dark dark with some lacing and a decent head that settles into a ring hugging the sides...

...but what an outstanding smell! hot melted dark chocolate with...raisins? grapes? muscadine? wow.

taste is a slightly more subtle version of the nose with the grapiness receding and the chocolate hovering with a backbite of coffee. and what you expect in a great porter. smokiness.

smoothness of this is counterpunched nicely by the carbonation that slightly follows some sort of syntax of perfection...

...which makes this nearly perfect. i'm going through a SSmith obsession lately. i've yet to be disappointed. this is another favorite to add to my growing list.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)