Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros

trioxin, May 05, 2012

JennyJam, Feb 21, 2012
1.32/5  rDev -68.4%

mdorbad, Aug 12, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

Fettpopps, May 03, 2014
1.55/5  rDev -62.9%

CONTAINER VOLUME: 550ml
CONTAINER TYPE: Bottle (pasteurized)
FRESH: SD27B1 (in question)
PURCHASED @: Binny’s McHenry
COST: $3.49 9-15-06
HEAD: light brown; large creamy; mostly diminishing
LACE: fair
COLOR:
REFLECTED- black muddy
TRANSMITTED- black, slight red tint (very opaque)
AROMA: slightly hopped, smoke and burnt brown sugar
MOUTHFEEL: thin
PALATE: dry texture/flat carbonation
TASTE: harsh dark bread, carmel cookie, roasted grain, toasted/burnt nuts
START- acidic, bitter
MIDDLE-acetic and sour
FINISH- long chalky harsh astringent bitterness
COMMENTS: may have been over exp. date (I hope) Otherwise this is not a good brew, I apprecieate stouts/porters but this was too much like coffee brewed through an unclean maker. I served it in cool and in a becker, which I would think to be proper
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n
WITH FRIENDS- n
SIPPING- n
GET MY BUZZ ON- n

TechMyst, Sep 21, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -54.5%

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

I reviewed this over a year ago and loved it. I am inclined to think this bottle has some problems with it. I sure hope so, because it was absolutely awful.

Pours dark brown with highlights through the thin portions of the glass. On the nose there is a lactic sugar note, sickeningly sweet, with a decent fruit note being ruined by diacetyl butter note. In the mouth those flavors are amplified, with the nasty buttery note really taking over. The body is thin and watery, not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a strange sour note here too.

Overall, I couldn't believe what this was when it was unveiled. I had a good experience with this beer a year before. This was a disaster. Hopefully it was just a bad bottle at the blind tasting, but at the price I'm not too eager to buy it again. Very, very disappointing for all five of us.

EricCioe, Feb 24, 2011

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers head - very dark brown; no carbonation rising.

S: Faint chocolate and alcohol smell.

T: Strong alcohol; no dark malt taste and not really robust in any way - this beer really tastes just like every other Samuel Smith beer to me, which is why it's not my favorite. I wish the brewery would do something different because this tastes just like the nut brown to me.

M: Light, airy and foamy.

D: Average.

This beer didn't taste bad, it just didn't really taste like a porter to me - it tasted like every sam smith beer - faint alcohol and a few other faint flavors on the side. I am disappointed.

jt31914, Oct 08, 2009

xomin80, Dec 22, 2012

I am getting sick of these dark beers! You’re right, no I’m not. I love these dark beers. The darker the better, I always say. Tonight we are drinking a Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter. I have had this beer many times before. I usually buy this beer when I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a bottle of something that I know is not only imported, but is also delicious.

The first few times I had a Samuel Smith’s I wasn’t too impressed. I am not really knocked out of my socks here either, but it’s a good quality beer. The Taddy Porter is actually the furthest thing from a porter in my opinion. It’s WAY too thin, and has a short aftertaste. I think this beer will taste better the warmer it gets, but these are always sold ice cold.

The beer smells almost as good as it tastes. I don’t want to seem like I am ripping on Samuel Smith’s, but I feel like every time I try their beers I am disappointed. I don’t know… I just can’t fall in love with this beer.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good. But it’s not great. Nothing to brag about. It has a pretty cool story, regardless.

rickyleepotts, Jun 11, 2011

illini4x4, Sep 14, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -51%

A - A dark brow with a monsterous creamy tan head that lingers for a while and leaves thick rings of lacing all down the glass.

S - This has the same elderberry odor that all of the Sam Smith's beers have (barring the WW, which just stank), but it isn't as potent. Faint pine and coffee. These three mesh to create something wierd.

T - Slight coffee with some smokey dark fruit flavors that make for a bizarre and not too pleasant chemical edge. The aftertaste is a strange chemical taste pairs with a coffee flavor. Yuck.

M - Medium viscosity, carbonation is too high, and absurdly drying. I feel so thirsty after each sip.

D - Well, I am going to be able to finish this despite the taste and mouthfeel. That says a lot actually. The parching nature makes sessioning this one difficult at best. The beer is too foul for foods. I think I will seek out the oatmeal stout and leave the "famous" taddy porter to it's notoriety.

mrasskicktastic, Feb 05, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -49%

Looks like a sturdy porter, all is well. Aroma comes across like oil and alcohol.

Taste is oil, alcohol, brown ale and water. No hop quality. Like a mead from England. Mouthfeel is like a walnut mixed in with the aforementioned taste. Drinkability is lame, as its about $5 per 500 ml, and its just not enjoyable. Not my thing.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 27, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -48.6%

This bottle is a few years old, about 2.

Color is dark brown with quite a bit of light around the edges of the glass, has a decent amount of head maybe a finger or two, and has a bit of lacing.
Aroma is unassuming, light roast and chocolate, and some oxidation from the age, but i expected that at this point.
Flavors haven't held up well, Porters are generally best fresh but this was a fun experiment anyway, watery smoke ashtray flavors are predominant throughout this one, just a bit of chocolate to offset the watery roast/smoke.
Mouthfeel is thin.

ChadQuest, Jan 02, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -46.7%

The saltiness in the finish / aftertaste ruins the pleasure of drinking this beer. I may like salty food with a beer, not salt IN the beer itself!

Sigmund, May 28, 2002
2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

ONN8, Dec 15, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

Jim_DemonDeacon, Apr 15, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -44.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark, coffee black with a fizzy, cola head that sticks around a little and leaves some lacing.

Smell: Smells like acidic, burnt coffee. That's about all I can pick up.

Taste: Follows the smell, but there is also quite a bit of tanginess and bitter cocoa. It actually has some cheese flavors at the end that are slightly bothersome.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, leaves a slightly dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: The smell and taste are slightly offensive, maybe I just got a bad bottle of this brew. Those would be the main factors keeping from finishing a bottle, let alone hitting up another one.

This was a disappointing brew. I am hoping I just got a bad one. I have heard a lot of good things about Sammy Smith's so I guess I was expecting something more.

jamesdergen, Oct 16, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

A: Poured nearly pitch black with a noisy fizz. A small head quickly bubbled up and subsided.

S: Smell is kind of weak with aromas of port and chocolate.

T: Taste is weak too. There's not much flavor, just some tartness and a slightly oxidized taste.

M: Fizzy and a little watery, although it sticks to the mouth a little bit.

D: Nothing about this beer was very appealing to me. It's very drinkable in the sense that you could chug a bunch of these quickly, but that's not usually how I prefer to drink my beverages.

klewis, Dec 31, 2005

Tarps68, Feb 22, 2014

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

Hoptoudrop, Jul 12, 2014

soupieman, Dec 29, 2013
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)