Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,261 | Hads: 2,796
4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a deep mahogany with ruby edging and a thick latte colored head that creates heavy lacing.

Aromas of chocolate malts, coffee and fresh leather (in a good way...).

Taste has a tangy dark fruit (plums, raisins, figs) and roasted coffee body, ending with a lasting chocolate finish. Very well balanced flavors.

Mouthfeel is med-full, smooth and creamy. Tiny carbonation bubbles are active on every sip. Leaves a nice coating, not too sticky or syrupy.

Really enjoyed this one, will be keeping a few as my stock porter. (525 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Big, frothy head that stays quite well. Very chocolatey appearance. Coffee and chocolate aromas in the nose, kind of a sweet smell. Very creamy mouthfeel, excellent taste which has a bit of coffee and chocolate, very sweet, a bit fruity. Only a slight amount of bitterness. Dark sweetness in the finish. This has an excellent taste and mouthfeel. Excellent and well rounded porter that I would find refreshing at any time. (429 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a clear glass 12 oz. bottle at "The Alchemist and the Barrister" in Princeton, NJ. The appearance was excellent. Dark brown with a tan/offwhite medium head. Nice lacing that clung to the side of the glass in patterns that looked to be made by a spider spinning a web in zero gravity. The smell was good, toasted malt and coffee. But the taste was where this beer really shined. Toasted burnt malts, dark espresso and buttery toffee. Especially the nutty, buttery toffee flavors. Amazing. Very well balanced with the hops. I haven't been this pleasantly surprised in a while. Something about that toffee flavor just got me, I was in love. And I rarely drink Porters. Mouthfeel was great, not too carbonated but very plush and satisfying. Drinkability was excellent as well. If I wasn't driving I would have certainly had a few. This is defiantly going in my fridge next time I make a run. (897 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

There is good reason why many compare all porters to this one. It is a classic that has held up and stayed above the pack forever.

Dark auburn with nice thick head.

Aromas of chocolate and caramel further mellow the roasted grain bouquet.

Rich roasted malt flavors that are best complemented by a bit of fruitiness and caramel.

Creamy good body (I wouldn't say full body but close) that tantalizes every part of my mouth and finishes strong with slight spiciness and dark fruit finish.

At 5% and a taste that gets better as it warms, one might be tempted to drink these all day long.

This beer is not quite in a class by itself, but it is at the very very top of the Porter class.

btw - I have found that the bigger bottles (fatty Taddy as they are known) is the way to go with this beer. Unlike some of the other Sam Smith products (i.e Winter Welcome and Nut Brown Ale etc) this one you don't want too cold, and the bigger bottle means it has more time to open up and come down to near room temperature. And of course you get more of the magical brew too. (1,064 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Deep mahogany red-brown, with 3 fingers of frothy, khaki head that lasts ages and leaves a heavy lacing on the walls.

S: Molasses. Acrid, toasted grain. Prune.

T: Sweet, toasty malt in the beginning, that yields to a tart, fruity flavor in the middle (I can't quite identify the flavor), creaminess late, and bitter hops with floral notes in the finish.

M: So smooth! Good carbonation, with a little dryness at the end.

O: Probably the best porter I've ever tasted. No, I take that back -- DEFINITELY the best porter I've ever tasted! I already knew Samuel Smith knew how to make good beer, and this just proves it further. (632 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Pours a dark clear ruby with a fluffy tan head. Sticky lacing goes all the way down the glass.

S - Definate cocoa and fruit notes amongst the dark malt overtone. Some mild coffee in there.

T/M - First impression is that it's a lot lighter than the taste suggests. Doesn't feel thick or chewy, but is very very full flavored. The coffee comes out more in the taste than in the smell. The cocoa and... i want to say a malple syrup flavor accent the smokey malts.

D - Probably my favorite beer so far. Could drink all week, month, year, and never get bored of it. (568 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Dark brown with dark red tints and a thick frothy head. There is a bit of lacing. The smell is very sublte but good aroma of roasted malts and chocolate. Burnt taste of malts and slight hints of coffee and toffee. Sweet chocolate taste with very smooth very rich taste of roasted malts. The aftertaste is creamy and outstanding. Quite enjoyable. Great blend of malts. (367 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

550 mL bottle, I've had around, as much as I can possibly get it.

I love this beer, that's true. One of my favorite beers that I don't have to travel too far for.

It sits very dark brown, almost black in a pub glass, with a thin tan head that dissipates probably before I finish half of the beer. This one is definitely drinkable, I could drink 3-4 bottles of this in a night easily, and enjoy each one to the last drop. Neither the malt or the hops profile is overpowering, but both are in perfect balance. You can taste a faint coffee/dark chocolate bitterness in the beer, but also an almost hidden sweetness of caramel behind it, and it's not starch or thick, which makes it easier to taste. You can't taste much bitterness, but you get a bit of sharpness from the hops immediately with some smoky hopiness underneath.
I can't exactly pick out what the star of this brew is, and the flavors certainly aren't muddled, but I could drink this for hours and never get bored of it. I'd drink this every day of my life, and I can because it's available just a block from my house. (1,080 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer was poured from a 355mL bottle into a snifter after sitting at room temperature for 30 minutes. No freshness date or battling date was visible.

Appearance: The beer pours a black with a slightly translucent quality to it. The tan head quickly recedes to a mere pittance of its former glory, or lack there of, but it’s exactly what one would expect of this style. Impressive refined carbonation and a tan, chocolaty ring of head around the glass make this beer look malty and appetizing.

Smell: Simple, beautiful aroma. The Marris Otter that is immediately present reminds me of a recent brew day of a similar style of beer, the smell of grain wafting through the house, clinging to every nook and cranny for days! Bitter chocolate nibs, a slight coffee essence, and maybe some caramel malt make a presence.

Taste: This beer gets progressively better, starting with spot-on style, staying with that theme as it works its way to the impressive flavor. Really well balanced malted grains that add a bit of an acidic bite, and bitter coffee/chocolate nib flavor.

Mouthfeel: Beautiful full mouth carbonation, smooth, creamy and moderately chewy. It quickly dries your mouth out so another drink almost immediately is necessary.

Drinkability: Awesome session beer. At 5% and with such a great, simple flavor and aroma, it’s a no brainer. This is the quintessential template for this style and Samuel Smith couldn’t have done a better job.

March 4, 2013
Tallahassee, Fl (1,489 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from the traditional Sammy Smith bottle - at least for me - pint and change clear bottle. I poured it into the trust Baldwin-Wallace College standard pint glass.

The beer poured a very dark brown with a little more than a finger of tan head that left fine lacing down the glass. The beer's aroma had hints of coffee, chocalate and some fruitiness as well. The flavor was off the charts, and a true treat. Taddy Porter's flavor fit it's ominous, dark color, with plenty of roasted malt flavor along some chocalate. The beer finished a smokey, caramel flavor that road through the end of each sip. This is a medium bodied brew that is super drinkable, if only a little cheaper of available in greater quantites - at least here in my area. A true treat, and I imagine something of a classic. (798 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours black with a slight brownish tinge and a very thick and creamy off white head.

Smell has strong notes of chocolate and coffee, with a sweetness present in the background.

Taste is a swirl of sweet malty coffee and chocolate with hints of bourbon and vanilla. The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with the most deliciously beautiful creaminess present.

I could seriously drink this beer all night long, it is that good. Probably the best porter I've had so far...it puts a lot of others to shame. (500 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow. As black as tar in the mug revealing a deeeep ruby hue if held up to sunlight. Frothy, hearty, reddish-brown head of medium size bubbles that forms an impressive clingy cap after it settles a bit. Relatively light aroma of chocolate and dates. Complex on the palette; coffee, dark chocolate, bread, and toasted malts. Surprisingly light body for a beer so dark but this is a good thing. Nice mouthfeel and super smooth. The coffee finish just goes on and on. Impressive. (475 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a thick brown/black with a nice tan head. The froth of the head clings to the glass all the way down. Very smooth beer with all sorts of different flavors coming through. Chocolates,figs,coffee,and berries are just to name a few. It is low on carbonation and very filling. Refreshing and crisp on the palate, leaves it begging for more. Very easy do drink and if you get hooked you can drink it all night. (411 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pour: Dark brown like a maple syrup color with a light beige colored head
Smell: Roasted, almost burnt coffee aroma with light spices and chocolate
Taste: Roasted malt with coffee and chocolate flavors abundant. Extremely smooth.
An excellent porter. Highly recommend to all. (275 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

I was anxious to try to Taddy Porter. It may sound odd but since I visited England in the early 80's and since I learned that my ancestors are from Yorkshire, I really feel an affinity for most things Yorkshire. And so I continued my quest for knowledge.

The Taddy Porter poured a DARK brown, nearly black. No light will penetrate this beer! The head was moderately frothy and only slightly dissipated in the couple of minutes I waited to taste.

The aroma was relatively mild. I could smell the malt, which was a good sign. I was intrigued, which is exactly what I look for when I smell my beer.

Sometimes, I wonder if the sight of a beer in glass creates a bias when I taste. I am not aware of one but I thought I’d taste this beer with my eyes closed. Sure, I’d seen the beer already but hey, I never pass up an opportunity to make a fool of myself.

Upon first taste of the dark liquid, (I assumed it was dark, I had my eyes closed) I noticed a pronounced sweet molasses/malt flavor. The beer was slightly dry with very good carbonation. This helps the drinkability for me as it tickles the tongue. Hey...I love the tongue tickling!

The beer did not weigh heavy, which surprised me, but I was looking for a more overt taste of alcohol. That’s not a criticism, really, because the flavor was good.

Overall, this is a very good porter. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to close their eyes and drift away to Northern England. (1,451 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

A fantastic beer that makes me wish I had bought more. Poured and drank from a standard beer mug.

A- Great pour, thick tan head with decent lacing on the glass. almost completely opaque with a slight maroon glow through it.

S- Rich and dark, Can almost imagine a charred oak barrel aging away.

T- As good as it smells and looks. Oak aged flavors give way to a hint of chocolate and roasted barley, yet end on a fairly light note.

M- Not as thick as I had expected with the pour. Definitely was not lacking in carbonation though, maybe a little too much.

D- Seemed the more I drank of this one the more I wished it was a bottomless glass. Sam Smith got it right with this one. (680 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

550ml Bottle to Tulip Pokal Glass.

Appearance- Deep dark brown color with frothy soapy thick "jamocha" head!

Just a bueatiful scent that makes my mouth water ever time.
Cacao roasted malt with a hint of salt and fig notes that blend perfectly bitter hops that just pop at the end of a long sniff! (AWW Famous indeed.)
Enough foreplay. Mouth feel, from tip to the back of my tongue is complex with light to medium carbonation that makes a smooth smooth intoxcatiy sliky brew!

This porter is one my favorites, Hands Down.
-Enjoy! (530 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a tan head. Lacing all over.

S: Nutty bread and rye. Earthy.

T: Earthy malts, nuts, caramel, big toffee notes, chocolate definitely, and some rye bread. Great!

M: Light to medium and that nice airyness that makes this porter such a classic.

O: Complex and delicious. This is what I would call a true porter. It's sweet and nutty and has plenty of creaminess to fill you up! (394 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: An agressive pour from bottle to beer-clean Imperial pint glass resulted in a two finger collar of quality tan foam. Hints of excellent lacing as the head begins to slowly dissipate. The brew is jet-black and my mouth was agape upon discovering that this beer is packaged in clear glass!!

Aroma: Very earthy nose with hints of chocolate (brownie mix). The aroma of this beer leaves the taster longing for a visit to the much- -revered English brewery.

Taste: Calling the taste complex is like referring to sex as reproduction. The taste is nutty, grassy, and heavy with malt. The hop notes are muted, yet well-balanced...happy to be singing harmony with the stellar malts.

Mouthfeel: Balance is the key...and this quality porter is balanced. The long finish leaves a delicate sweet coating on the lips and fore-tongue.

Drinkability: I could do this one all day, all night, and all day tomorrow.

Seldom do I rave...I can only hope my ancestors has access to beer this good!!! (1,003 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Deep rich brown near black even against direct light.

S-Complex malt, slight alcohol as well as vinilla and some degree of nuttyness

T%M-Just like the nose suggest extremely complex everything comes through from the nose. Very well balanced my only complaint was it seemed a little thin in the body.

D-I'll come back to this one. (369 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Deep mahogany with ruby edges. Large creamy beige head. Good retention and little lacing left.

S - Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and a hint of tobacco.

T - Roasted malt and chocolate and coffee make up most of the taste. More chocolate than coffee. Also with these is some caramel, butterscotch, and burnt sugar/molasses. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter porter.

M - Medium body with low carbonation. Very smooth and creamy despite being somewhat thin. Would like it to be a bit fuller.

D - Really good smooth and easy to drink. Lovely flavors that are well balanced. Lots of good porter flavors.

Notes: Very nice porter with balanced and nice flavors. Not too bitter and not too sweet. Smooth and nice body, but I would like it to be a bit fuller. (762 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Beautiful porter/stout appearance.

Smell - Superb malty, chocolatey delight.

Taste - ditto to smell, with a slight hop crisp in the finish

Mouthfeel - perfect for the style

Overall - Really, for an English Porter, this is fabulous beer. No tinkering necessary with craft. (288 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

This is probably the best porter I've yet sampled... Samuel Smith is probably one of my favorite breweries, and this beer clearly justifies my strong liking of the company... pours a pitch-black, opaque color with a decent tan head... smell is of burnt chocolate and espresso... taste is full of cocoa, dark coffee, chocolate, and slight malts... an excellent porter, goes down smooth with no hints of bitterness... semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor lingers on the palate and is very sweet and satisfying... would go great with anything sweet, especially chocolate... very crisp, clear flavor... awesome sample... definitely recommended... (638 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

this one comes in a brown bottle?

this guy is a superdark brown. somewhere between the nutbrown and oatmeal. above it sits a khaki head, which sits comfortably and not looking like it's going anywhere. not quite as tightly bubbled as the nut brown

if brown had a smell this would be it. sharp mocha; dry, bitter chocolate. bready

just as with the nut brown the flavor features more hops than the aroma suggests. robust, dry malty flavors. there's a creaminess to it that carries well the small amount of sweetness (516 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Somehow I found myself craving this one after a series of mediocre beers at GOTV. Let's try this one in the 100 degree heat!

Here it pours it looks like engine oil going into my glass. Real Viscous! Nice off white head very thin, but clinging on the way down.

Wow, it smells like crazy caramel corn and butter? Real strange. But there is some floral hops in there too. And toffee.

Amazing taste! This one is super balanced and fun. Even thirst quenching in a weird way. This one is very drinkable and complex at the same time.

Real pure silk and velvet mouthfeel.

Overall, this is one great beer and definitely would have again and again! (643 characters)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)