Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,712 | Reviews: 1,266
2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

Appearance is near black, with a one finger head. Lacing is oily but not very apparent
Smell is complex but not that great. I smell coffee, licorice, and chocolate malt. Later in the beer, some alcohol came through. The taste is very similar, except the alcohol comes through much more quickly.
Mouthfeel is pretty good. Its pretty light but still carbonated.
Drinkability is not very good.

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

appearance - Dark brown color with a small tan head and some lace left on the glass.

smell - Cofee, raisins, and alcohol.

taste - Has a smoked taste that is followed byt a winte tast, like a red wine category.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Didn't taste like a porter to me, was more like a wine, I didn't finish the beer, i did share it with others and we were not a fan.

2.7/5  rDev -35.4%

Medium but very long-lasting head over a pitch black body; pours a matte black and is always completely opaque. Smell is a mix of coffee and chocolate; subdued but distinguishable. Starts thin and flat but settles on the tongue velvety smooth and full-bodied - although lacking a particularly distinct flavor. Egresses to the stomach VERY sour with a heavy weight to the aftertaste.

2.7/5  rDev -35.4%

A - Pours pitch black with a thin tan head.

S - Molasses, smoke, peat, bit of chocolate, glue. Smell is quite muted.

T - Molasses up front, with chocolate flavour moving in towards the middle and even further forward at the end. Plasticky, phenolic flavour run the the drinks entirety and isn't particularly pleasant. Finish is quite clean with hints of tobacco, bonfire smoke and peat.

M - Light to medium body and overly biting carbonation.

D - Below par, with some elements that detract from the overall enjoyment.

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

The pour creates a deep dark brown color. A minimal head of beige is erected. Staying power is not good. Slight aroma of cocoa and java and european malts. The flavor is not really on. It's not horrible, but it's just a little bland and perhaps a little light struck. Bland maltiness dominates and is accentuated by a slight sourness and some light roasted tones. This is just not a good porter.

2.76/5  rDev -34%

hmmm...not impressed by 1st 3 impression. I may need more time to get used to this beer, but, after sampling things like winter warmer, and (personal fav) oatmeal stour, this was, quite frankly a big let down.

It pours a nice deep brown color, with a thick creamy tan head. Smells sweet and it has hints of licorice.

When I think porter, I think a rich, chocolately taste. I think a nice deep immersionin it, to boot. This was an odd licorice/chocolate mix, that didn't come out quite right.

Eh, I would say go for the oatmeal stout, but, you should at least try this, for the sake of trying it

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

I bought a bomber of Taddy Porter at a grocery store. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a dark garnet color with red hues when held to the light. Bubbly tan head, is not particularly sticky and produces virtually no lacing.

Smell has a sweet slightly acerbic note to it, like a rum candy, or a liquor flavored toffee. Not bad but not really what I expected.

The taste has a roasted bitter flavor, coffee and also that slightly sweet acerbic note in the aroma. I can't get past the notion of rum, or perhaps dates or figs with a burnt character.

Mouthfeel is good, full-bodied and smooth, not thick or cloying.

Average drinkability I'm afraid. I'd probably go for a number of American porters over this one.

2.8/5  rDev -33%

Off-white cover tops a dark brown hue. Aroma is of growing distaste. Lactic soy beans soaked in yogurt a bit too long. Sweet chocolate and roasted bread fights the palate dominance over with a strong anise component. Sweet vanilla is barely mellowed by an unpleasant vegetal touch. At the same time, the palate is pretty light and proposes dull mellow carbonation. A bit disappointing compared to their stouts..

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a dark brown color - no light penetration that I can see. The beer pours with a creamy tan head. Just under 1 finger of head. the head recedes pretty quickly. The beer leaves nice arcs of lace when tipped in the glass. The bottle has a date code (boo!) and it says the beer is almost 1 year old (also boo). The ABV is not listed on the bottle.

S: [3.00] Very pronounced dark fruit.

T: [2.75] I get the dark fruit on the start - but then the firish is roasted malt. There is also a "salty" taste in there. I can't describe it any better. Salty is not really a compliment.

M: [2.75] The beer is a little watery - but understandable for a low ABV. The carbonation level is low.

O: [2.75] I feel bad. The beer is a year old. I really like stuff from Samuel Smith and I think this didn't get a fair shake. That being said it is what it is.

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%

I don't see the big deal about this porter.
A- Did have a nice dark color with just under a finger head
S- Smells of malt small hints of chocolate maybe coffe
T- Wasn't to impressed with the taste. Tasted very tarty.
M- The finish was very tarty
D- Not to impressed with the drinkability. Have had better porters. Could not get over the tartness. Would not buy again.

2.87/5  rDev -31.3%

First of all the damn gold leaf that covers the cap needs to go,,its a real pain in the ass. Pours out a nice black with a one finger tan head,,looks creamy.Smells just ok,a licorice smell{im not big on licorice}.Wow bitter taste as i first sip.Has a smoky taste,light on the licorice,bitter lasting taste.Has a nice mouthfeel not too thick,not too thin.Just an ok beer ,no freshness date so i dont know how old this is.I had high hopes for this beer and was let down.

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

This porter poured out a dark brown/black with a large yet quickly dissappearing tan head.The smell was of coffee as well as in the taste.The body, in my opinion was very light.The taste was a little bland,almost metallic and I guess I was expecting more from this.Maybe I will have to go back to this one in the future and try again.

2.91/5  rDev -30.4%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Samuel Smith beers always make me cringe when I see the clear bottles on the shelf – they seem like they’d do such a good job at brewing, but I have had more than my fair share of skunked SS brews in the past. Still, Taddy gets very good reviews; let’s see if the darker brew is less susceptible to the light and other elements.

APPEARANCE: (This is the first review where I could rate the appearance without popping the cap, but I’ll resist…) Black, with only the faintest hint of mahogany coming through. SERIOUS head action with really good staying power. Almost no lacing.

AROMA: Gentle mix of black and chocolate malt, with a generous dash of bottlecap. Seems like there’s a little oxidation here; whether it’s due to the light, age, or handling will remain a mystery. Certainly not much of the telltale “skunk” scent, but then the hops are very low in the first place. Getting a touch of diacetyl as well.

FLAVOR: The aspect of SS beers that seems to be their common bond is the yeast, and its effects are noticeable here – somehow, even though it’s been years, my taste buds are quietly saying, “Oh, yeah – I remember this”. It’s sort of a gentle metallic flavor that helps to impart a very dry finish. Roasted malt flavor is sorta weak, actually, but very smooth. And, in the words of Austin Powers, it’s “a bit nutty.”

MOUTHFEEL: Average weight, high carbonation, move along folks, nothing to see here.

DRINKABILITY: At 5% ABV it’s pretty close to session status, but I think I’d prefer other porters to drink more than one of.

OVERALL COMMENTS: Boy, I hope I get the chance to taste this fresh one day – I think I’d have a much higher opinion of it. As it is, I’m disappointed.

2.94/5  rDev -29.7%

Apperance: very dark, almost black with a nice rich foamy, mocha colored head. Nice lacing and color overall

Smell: Smell was...yikes...not very good smell. I think this bottle sat on the shelf for a while. A bit skunky! I could detect a strong coffee smell with a touch of malts in their somewhere

Taste: was not as bad as the smell! Did have a very genuine coffee flavor along with roasted malts as stated above. Has a slight bitter after taste that makes for a nice finish. Coffee flavor...yes a burnt chocolate coffee flavor is the taste along with a slight earthy flavor

Mouthfeel: fairly smooth and soft, goes down pertty easy

Overall a bit offensive! I will probably give this another try sometime....maybe. Dont know if it was just the bottle or me?

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

Since I love Porters I was excited to bring this home and enjpy it with my fav cigar. I was dissapointed. I liked the pour and the head was very nice, leaving some lace, but the taste left me empty. It had hardly a mouthfeel to it so I suppose I'm being genorous in my rating, hardly any of the "chewiness" I'm used to in Porters. Would I drink again? If handed to me yes, but to buy it? Nope.

I know this is considered one of the touchstones against which other porters are judged, and maybe that is why it seems to fall short of my expectations. Very nice, but not outstanding.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)