Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
naterock

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.
A: Dark, almost completely opaque but with deep red hues.
S: Very malty smell, with a hint of alcohol, suggests that this porter does not mess around when it comes to naming itself "famous"
T: Malty, with dark roasted barley, a strong woody flavor (oak, maybe cherry wood) and a hint of dark chocolate.
M: light carbonation, very smooth for such a bitter taste. IT lingers for a while towards the tip of the tongue where the oaky flavor develops.
D: This is one of the best porters I've ever had. By far the best English Porter import. I've never been able to drink more than a few porters and I'm glad because I start to lose the distinction of flavor.

04-12-2008 18:11:46 | More by naterock
orangemoustache

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Found this at the Brewhaus Springfield,IL

A-deep and dark brown with some cherry highlights when held to the light,a super thick rootbeer float looking head leaves behind tons of sticky lacing

S-dark chocolate,roasted caramel malts are borderline nutty,some major aromas of premium bold coffee

T-I feel like I just packed my mouth full of chocolate covered coffee beans and rasinetts,this Porter has a lot of character and is near perfectly balanced with sweet fruity malts and earthy hops in abundance

M-medium body and low carbonation,creamy and soft

D-this is a stand alone porter that deserves to be revisited in short order

04-08-2008 01:41:59 | More by orangemoustache
giblet

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Excellent. this is one of the best porters that i have had. pours black in the glass. decent head. smells of smoked chocolate. excellent rich taste of chocolate and caramel. rich but not overly so, smooth and refreshing. therefore by name easier to drink than a stout.

very much recommended!

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

04-07-2008 20:38:49 | More by giblet
dacrza1

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

An old favorite revisited...black body with brown creamy quarter-inch head that leaves a flawless lacing...roasted coffee, rich toffee, smooth and smoky accents... creamy palate--unbelievably smooth and milky...the texture is as firm as it is lacey...mellow and natural, almost perfect in its proficiency....the reason I fell in love with beer tasting, selecting from the beer menu at Russell's in Bloomsburg nearly ten years ago....for those Strat fans out there, like finding a SUPREME defensive rating...if you only drink light lagers and the occasional green bottle, start (and end) with this one from the dark side...

04-01-2008 03:20:14 | More by dacrza1
erosier

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a nice dark red-brown with a short and thin off-white head that fades to a ring around the top of the beer. It laces the glass pretty well all the way down the glass. It smells of very faint chocolate and coffee and roasted malts. The taste is really good as well. It tastes of the same as the nose with some hoppy bitterness in the middle of it that rounds it off very well. It tastes of sweet roasted malt, some chocolate, then some hoppy bitter taste, and then finally a caramel flavor that is really nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth and clean which makes for a very drinkable porter. Definately worth a try.

03-31-2008 15:18:02 | More by erosier
jmalex

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Ugh, I'm a few days off of a nasty cold and I think I've finally got my sense of smell back. I have high hopes for this one.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Samuel Smith nonic pint a dark brown with crimson highlights. A light tan head forms on top and is modestly small in size. It drops quickly to an average collar and large bubbly patch.

SMELL: Nice strong aromas of bready caramels and roasty chocolates (does that make sense?) Some light feusels and esters round out the aroma profile.

TASTE: Dark chocolate and roasted grain dominate in this one. The middling caramel sweetness from the nose is absent in the taste, except maybe slightly on the finish. A subtle smokiness comes through as well. Most of the taste, however, is from the more bitter kilned malts. I must say though, that it's quite evident that this beer is exactly what it set out to be. Not a single detectable flaw.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with a carbonation level that seems average though a bit lower wouldn't hurt.

DRINKABILITY: Very good drinkability is essentially inherent in English ales, and this is no different. 5% ABV is nothing too hard to handle, and I can imagine having another one of these.

Overall, this is definitely another winner from ol' Tadcaster. I recommend trying one for sure.

03-28-2008 03:20:04 | More by jmalex
avalon07

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. This beer had a deep, dark brown hue and texture so thick you can't see through it. There was a decent head and good lacing.

This had a subtle smell, like most of Samuel Smith's beers. Malt, coffee and something I couldn't put my finger on.

Tasted of malt, coffee, chocolate, maybe some fruit. Complex, but didn't beat you over the head with it.

Nicely done carbonation and a dry finish made for a good, solid mouthfeel.

If you're into porters, this is a good beer to get. I only drink them but so often, but this is a good one. It has a nice taste and isn't overly heavy.

03-21-2008 15:58:11 | More by avalon07
Hoagie1973

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours deep black with thin red edges. Nice thick tan head with small and large bubbles. Retention is less than stellar, but decent. Nice sheet lacing that reduces to a stringy sticky film.

Aroma is awesome. Sweet roasted chocolate malt & coffee.

Taste is sweet up front, which dissolves into a momentary hop bitterness, then more sweet caramel that lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is creamy with light carbonation. Medium body.

Overall a deliciously drinkable porter, definitely on the sweet side, but pretty well balanced. Just like I like 'em. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor. It's pricey, but worth the cash.

03-16-2008 23:50:35 | More by Hoagie1973
monkeybeer

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours extreme dark brown/black with a good frothy tan head and good lacing

S- Smokey roasted malt, with a sweet hint of chocolate, and dried fruit.

T/M- Taste is much like the smell, only more intense especially in the dried fruit...

D- Porter is not my favorite but they are starting too grown on me. This was a good beer and very drinkable. I do not know if I would drink it with a meal, but before one as an appetizer or after as dessert would be great. I might get it again. The taste was a bit off fro me so I might choose another porter before this one, but I would not pass this one up if it was offered to me.

03-14-2008 02:03:13 | More by monkeybeer
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 1" tan head with good retention & lacing. Near black body with red highlights.

S: Roasted malt with some chocolate and coffee. It's good, but it could be stronger.

T: Rich and roasty. Dark chocolate. Some caramel, some coffee, and a touch of hops as well. Good balance.

M: Just under medium bodied. Light to medium carbonation. Soft mouthfeel. Interesting finish - both buttery and tart.

D: Great porter - sessionable - well deserving of its fine reputation.

03-08-2008 20:45:04 | More by OKCNittany
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A- 1 finger of mocha head which fades to a crown, sitting atop a jet black body, minimal lacing.

S- Smokey, roasted malts, raisins and prunes, a faint creamy yoghurtyness.

T- Smokey in the beginning, lots of roasted malts, balances out well in the finish with a nice nuttiness with a little cream.

M- Medium carbonation, a touch watery.

D- As porters go this is nice, complex peaty smokey flavours balances well with a faint nuttiness in the finish. It reminds me of guiness when i first start drinking beer, a shock to the system with roasted bitterness in a session beer.

Just not a fan of the porter style though, i prefer a higher abv sipper such as an RIS when it comes to a complex smokey brew. I prefer the SS imperial stout and oatmeal stout(oatmeal stout for the lesser bitterness and increased nuttiness)

P.S paired this with a grilled frikadellen on a crusty roll, meat was a nice combo with the smokey roasted bitterness.

03-08-2008 13:38:33 | More by seanyfo
shroompod

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pours with rocky mocha head. Some lacing.

Smell is is faint chocolate , not much else.

Nice malty flavor profile. Getting alot of dark bitter coffee flavors. Roasted malts do a nice job of keeping this from becoming sweet.

Light mouthfeel , good carbonation.

This is a nice session beer , packed with flavor.

03-06-2008 23:29:39 | More by shroompod
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

I'd always been curious about this beer, anything that claims to be famous is worth a try at least.

A: Poured a rich dark brown, almost black with dark red accents when held to the light. Thick tan head that subsided to about half an inch, nice and bubbly!

S: Smelled of faint chocolates, a sort of musty smell, kinda like an old bar, distinct English porter smell. All in all very delicious smelling. A little thin though, not too much but I expected a little more in the nose.

T: Chocolate up front, coffee bitterness in back, burnt malts, a little bit of hop bitterness. The malt characteristic really shows up in this one, but it doesn't detract from the balance, all in all a perfect flavor. Very complex and delicious.

M: Smooth and creamy, a little bit of carbonation and a lasting bitterness that hangs on the tongue for a while.

D: This is a slow drinker to say the least, but a very enjoyable and complex beer. Much better than the other English porters I've had. I could drink maybe two of the big 550ml bottles, but it'd take me a while because I'd savor them so much! Definitely one of my new favorite beers!

03-05-2008 01:59:48 | More by pokesbeerdude
GeoffW

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

In lieu of giving a review that probably won't coincide with the majority of porter fans here, I'll just stick with my basic impressions of this beer.

First of all, this isn't my style of choice. I heard it was good and it's the first of this style of beer that I've ever had. Normally I go for anything Belgian, this was a bit of an adventure for me.

It poured black, and I mean really bloody black. Not much of a head, but it stuck around for awhile and there were some nice lace rings in the glass as I steadily knocked this bad boy down.

Taste and smell were a little foreign to me, maybe I bought some stuff that was pasturized or stored incorrectly, exposed to light, etc, whatever. It smelled and tasted good, but I really wasn't that big of a fan. I'll let other beer dudes talk about the various flavors and whatnot that came through with the beer.

Mouthfeel was again a little strange, I don't know how to quite describe it. The beer wasn't something that I immediately wanted to gulp down because of some overly bad quality, but I still had the urge to get the stuff out of my mouth and off my palate.

Drinkability was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Not something I would go buy again.

Overall, the competence and talent of the brewers is apparent in this beer but it just wasn't for me. It was obviously well thought out and well made, I guess I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Oh well.

03-04-2008 07:56:32 | More by GeoffW
trackstar1043

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A - Pours dark as night with a light chocolate head that is massive and had increadable retension that left behind one of the stickies laces. Increadable.

S - Deep rich and strong, toasted/burnt malts with a smokey burnt carmel and coffee that had a hint of chocolate, very decatant.

T - Just as it smells and then some, this is a serious dark brew, with a strong malt, carmel, chocolate and coffee mix. Very earthy and heavy.

M - Heavy bodied brew with lower carbonation gives a smooth long lasting finish.

D - fantasitic on a cold night, seasonal for me.

03-03-2008 22:43:38 | More by trackstar1043
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Clear glass bottle-I thought these were phased out??

Appearance: Stout-black, pale brown head. Little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Classic porter, dark musty malts, chocolaty. Slight maple tinge in there too.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate, a slight yeasty flavour too.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied and thick. Suitable for the dark character, this beer provides a substantial feel.

Drinkability: On draught this would go down really easy at the pub. At home, though, one is enough to sample and enjoy.

Overall: Great porter with a full body. Delivers on the hype.

03-03-2008 00:21:27 | More by Hornet2003
beerthulhu

4.43/5  rDev +6%

A: dark opaque chocolate color with a creamy light tan head.

S: big, rich chocolate nose, some roasted aroma and smokiness topped off with fresh coffee and a light dried fruitiness.

T: For flavor there was rich cocoa beans, dark rich chocolate and some dried cherries. Overall a porter that was rich, robust, and perfect per style, enjoyable to drink as well ease.

M: The mouthful was very smooth for a porter with a nice roastedness and coffee flavor coming through upon warming with some milkiness.

D: Well rounded balanced with full flavors makes this a stand out and a joy to consume.

03-01-2008 17:45:12 | More by beerthulhu
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

18.7 oz bottle picked up Tuesday at the Coop for $3.50 ... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Beautiful 2" tan head... rings of lace.. deep brown reveals crystal clarity when held to a light with deep ruby highlites.

Milk Chocolate and cold coffee with hints of yeasty fruitiness in the nose... caramel reveals more as it warms.

Flavor is mild roastiness ... with pronounced chocolate throughout. Pretty rich ... toasty .. maltiness masks indentifiable hop flavors... very mild but present spicy finish.

Perfect body and very drinkable.

It's been at least a few years since I've had a Taddy Porter and damn glad I picked another up.... This brew could easily be a session or a sipper depending on my mood.

02-28-2008 08:42:41 | More by JohnGalt1
ehlpitel

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Second review

After my first review, I decided to buy some more craft beers and drink them with some sort of purpose.

I had no idea what to expect from this Samuel Smith jumpoff as the only time I drank it before I bought their lager or ale.

It is dark as night, hold it up to the light and not a spec shines through.

I have kind of a stuffed nose so the flavor is not as apparent as I'd like to be.

All in all, I'd say the taste was way stronger than Guinness and a little bit less thick.

I'm not sure if I'm bad at pouring beer, but this one bottle had no lacing, the head was thick and didn't settle very fast.

It had a terrific mouthfeel, smelled great to my stuffed nose, and I could drink this beer rather easily.

Bottoms up!

02-28-2008 04:19:30 | More by ehlpitel
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +16%

550ml bottle, capped with gold foil. I can't believe I have never reviewed this beer before. The appearance is nearly perfection. Almost solid black with a beautiful light brown head that lasts.

The smell is coffee and malt with some hints of chocolate. Some nut and fig come through as well. The taste is simply amazing. So complex and delicate. The beginning is sweet and malty and a bit metallic. That gives way to some slight bitterness and wonderful earth and powdered cocoa. My favorite part of this beer is the aftertaste that just goes on forever. Love that dark chocolate.

Extremely easy drinking for a beer which such great flavors. Truly world class in my book.

02-24-2008 21:31:24 | More by CharlesRiver
Rayek

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

I can't think of enough good things to say about this one. The consummate English Porter.

A: Deep chocolate brown color. Head is tan, firm and stays with the beer. Only weak point is the lack of lace down the glass. My bottle left only tiny patches.

S: Very complex. Blackberry, dark cherry, chocolate and black grape aromas. Slightly sweet. Like sniffing a fine red wine.

T: Initial sweetness gives way to perfect sweet/bitter balance. Tastes of bakers chocolate, cherries and black grapes. Great interplay of flavors. The finish is dry. Hop bitterness lingers initially, but gives way to a bittersweet combination of blackberries and dark cherries.

M: Medium body. Just the right amount of carbonation. Feels a little oily on the tongue.

D: My favorite English Porter. Enough said. I only wish it didn't cost so much. I could break the bank with it.

02-20-2008 20:26:59 | More by Rayek
becktone

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Eye: Quite pleasing overall. Nice creamy head-tan in color and creamy in texture and appearance gives an appetizing look all round. Color is extremely dark brown/red. Highlights are congealed blood red. Looks like a porter should. Head retention is steady throughout, even after it starts to deteriorate from contact with my lips it still keeps a constant head. Sheets of lacing cover the sides of the glass.

Nose: Aroma fills the room...or should I say an aura of chocolate and sweet, sweet malt. Upon closer olfactory inspection I find earthy aromas here, maybe some mildly sour aromas, could they've put some bacteria in here to mimic the original porter creations of the 1700s? Under the earthy tones, chocolate, and the unique aroma that I can't attribute to any other beer I've ever smelt, is some caramel. Maybe a little bit of apple cider aroma too(sourness).

Tongue: First thing I notice is that this beer truly tastes like a blend of three beers. There aren't certain characteristics that stick out. Its more like the way a black and tan ordered at a bar is-it has a unique taste that is neither stout or pale ale. Instead it is a mixture of both. I can taste a bit of a souring agent in here, it gives it the earthy flavor and a bit more. There are some toasted and chocolate flavors in there but they don't stick out, as individuals, they are mixed in the beer as part of a whole. Wouldn't really be able to pick it out unless I was looking for it. There is also some fruitiness in here as well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: I was quite surprised by the mouthfeel of this beer. I quite expected more carbonation, however this beer has very little. This does makes sense to me though, the historical porter was originally a blend of three beers, a stale one, a mild and, a pale. Seems to me like there was a good chance the final product would have very little carbonation due to the stale, not to mention these were all real ales and cask conditioned to mention meaning they would have less carbonation to begin with. I believe that the mouthfeel on this engineered porter is just about perfect, seems to be very accurate according to descriptions. This is one drinkable beer, great to session. Prolly the best English porter I've ever had, well at least to date. Real impressed with this one, I will be coming back to it. Anytime I feel the need for an authentic English Porter this is where I'll look.

02-19-2008 16:19:11 | More by becktone
IntriqKen

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

A deep dark amber with cranberry red notes to it when you hold it up to the light.
Nice tan head of 2 fingers that leaves very heavy mapping on the glass as you drain it.

Aromas are dark coffee, bitter chocolate, and nuts. All of them very subdued.

Taste is the above but with a smokey quality to it that hangs around into the aftertaste.

Mouth is left clean and dry.

02-18-2008 23:14:40 | More by IntriqKen
berserker256

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Quite black with a nice creamy head. Smells of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, some smoke and sweetness. Delicious taste that tastes just as it smells and the texture is perfect. Nice and creamy with light carbonation and just perferct. This is the best beer I've had in a while.

02-18-2008 03:45:00 | More by berserker256
Kallessin

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Pours a very thick tan creamy head. Very dark with slight reddish tint when held up to a light.

Smells of chocolate with dark fruit (figs?).

It has a dark roasted chocolate flavor with a slight dark fruit flavor (figs, cherry), that gives it a slight acidic flavor. The roasted malt really comes through in the aftertaste.

A very smooth creamy mouthfeel, but not thick - a little thinner than I would like. A little bit of carbonation. A slightly dry finish.

This beer is excellent and I would highly recommend it. I order this beer every time I'm anywhere that serves it.

02-17-2008 23:34:31 | More by Kallessin
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)